PDA

View Full Version : Sonnen found positive for PEDs?

Stringer_Bell
09-19-2010, 08:09 AM
http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/CSAC-Sonnen-Positive-for-PEDs-at-UFC-117-26978

Dodd did not state which banned substance was red-flagged, but with a clean drugs-of-abuse scan it is clear the positive test was for a performance-enhancing substance.

Totally shocked, hope this is appealed or the whole story gets out. I don't see Sonnen as a cheater, but if it's true then he's as good as retired. However, in case anyone forgot, a few days before the Silva fight Sonnen complained of being sick and I figured it would be his excuse for getting beat up - is it not plausible that him being on flu/cold medication would trigger a banned substance test to be positive? I'm just hypothesizing about the fully story :p:

How big of a difference does PED make in a fight? I remember Nick Diaz got caught for weed and the Athletic Commissioner said "He was high, so he didn't feel the pain as much" :lol

polandprzem
09-19-2010, 10:03 AM
Jeez - Chaels camp did a poor job ...

ace3g
09-19-2010, 10:06 AM
I should have known I wasn't over thinking this picture when I first saw it
http://mmafrenzy.com/files/2010/08/Anderson-Silva-and-Chael-Sonnen-UFC-117.jpg

I was so hoping that Sonnen wouldn't have taken any type of PED prior to the "biggest fight of his career"; but it just seemed weird that he had so much acne on his back (and one of the side effects of PEDs is acne)

CSAC: Sonnen Positive for PEDs at UFC 117

polandprzem
09-19-2010, 10:25 AM
Hopefully he can blame medicine he took during his illness

polandprzem
09-19-2010, 10:26 AM
I was so hoping that Sonnen wouldn't have taken any type of PED prior to the "biggest fight of his career"; but it just seemed weird that he had so much acne on his back (and one of the side effects of PEDs is acne)

CSAC: Sonnen Positive for PEDs at UFC 117

Well that's not any proof

ace3g
09-19-2010, 10:32 AM
Well that's not any proof

I know it isn't a lot of proof but it is a sign (sometimes of PEDs) of course looking back at some of his other weigh in photos he has the same acne on his back; so that could just be normal acne on his back.

Again I hope he isn't using PEDs but I just thought it was weird when I saw all that acne on his back

polandprzem
09-19-2010, 11:03 AM
if he was using or not - it's not a big difference

the thing now is- can he do something not to get banned

polandprzem
09-19-2010, 11:11 AM
And :pctoss

I'm a Sonnen fan

Stringer_Bell
09-19-2010, 11:48 AM
I know it isn't a lot of proof but it is a sign (sometimes of PEDs) of course looking back at some of his other weigh in photos he has the same acne on his back; so that could just be normal acne on his back.

Again I hope he isn't using PEDs but I just thought it was weird when I saw all that acne on his back

Someone on Sherdog posted a bunch of pics with consistent Bacne to show that he's been cheating for awhile, but I'm a Sonnen fan and I'll chalk this up to medicine he took to combat that sickness he complained about before the fight w/ Silva.

dbreiden83080
09-19-2010, 12:18 PM
Oh Fuck. So is the rematch now gone??

polandprzem
09-19-2010, 01:21 PM
Oh Fuck. So is the rematch now gone??

Hopefully not

Where is Christ when you need him?

dbreiden83080
09-19-2010, 02:13 PM
They bounced Sherk for like a year..

Assuming the California State Athletic Commission will show some consistency, Sonnen could be looking at a fine and a one year suspension, making his Feb. 6 rematch with Middleweight Champ Anderson Silva a bit of a problem for the UFC. With another fighter getting nabbed for using PEDs, it looks like cheating in the state of California is an increasingly poor decision.

http://www.sbnation.com/2010/9/19/1697794/chael-sonnen-drug-test-positive-ped-steroids-anderson-silva-lesnar

Chael will probably take the same stupid approach and lie his ass off like Sherk did. Either way he is screwed..

BlackSwordsMan
09-19-2010, 03:14 PM
lol so much for a rematch what an idiot

dbreiden83080
09-19-2010, 03:47 PM
lol so much for a rematch what an idiot

Yeah he's fucked.. The fans get screwed big time now for what would have beem an epic rematch.

dallaskd
09-19-2010, 04:27 PM
lol sonnen

dbreiden83080
09-19-2010, 06:25 PM
The UFC just saw a mega selling PPV flushed down the toilet..

Sherk got busted for Roids in California, and now Sonnen.

News-flash to MMA fighters, stay off the HGH and roids when in California..

BlackSwordsMan
09-19-2010, 06:37 PM
even with roids all these fighters lose
cheal,bonnar,sherk,kimo,carwin. Only overeem has perfected the usage of roids we can all learn from him

dbreiden83080
09-19-2010, 06:51 PM
http://i54.tinypic.com/mtr2aw.jpg

BlairForceDejuan
09-19-2010, 10:18 PM
This is very disappointing :(

Suspension in Peace one of the best shit-talkers in mma history.

The TroutBum
09-19-2010, 10:28 PM
What a stupid fuck head ass hole. I was a big fan, but I HATE cheaters.

Fuck you Sonnen, you shit eating rod munch.

MannyIsGod
09-19-2010, 10:30 PM
Fucking weak.

dallaskd
09-19-2010, 10:50 PM
even with roids all these fighters lose
cheal,bonnar,sherk,kimo,carwin. Only overeem has perfected the usage of roids we can all learn from him

lol

dbreiden83080
09-19-2010, 11:17 PM
His career is pretty much over. Shame looked like he was on his way to maybe finally getting the belt and a title run but now..

He's fucked...

dallaskd
09-20-2010, 12:40 AM
anyone find it ironic that just before UFC 117 Sonnen was openly calling out Lance Armstrong for using steroids..

"He cheated, he did drugs, and he gave himself cancer."

dbreiden83080
09-20-2010, 01:07 AM
The rumor floating around is that it was a natural steroid, like something he would have ingested after getting it at a local GNC or something. Not some hard steroid that would really give him an edge. Probably similiar to whatever Sherk took and was busted for..

Whatever the truth is, banned substance is a banned substance and he fucked up..

Really sucks..

dbreiden83080
09-20-2010, 01:10 AM
Poland knows a lot about this stuff

Curious what he thinks??

polandprzem
09-20-2010, 01:13 AM
If he really used banned substance?

Stringer_Bell
09-20-2010, 08:42 AM
I'm still not understanding why some folks think banned substance automatically means steroids. There's over the counter medication and supplements for strength training that can set off the drug tests. I'm waiting for Chael to say something, otherwise his silence will speak for itself. Although it'd be nice if Dana let him speak unlike telling Carwin to be quiet and let it blow over...

http://www.cagepotato.com/chael-sonnen-ped-update-natural-steroids-dana-whites-response-more

desflood
09-20-2010, 08:57 AM
anyone find it ironic that just before UFC 117 Sonnen was openly calling out Lance Armstrong for using steroids..

"He cheated, he did drugs, and he gave himself cancer."
I told my old man, "I hope he didn't give himself cancer." :lol

desflood
09-20-2010, 09:08 AM
According to LA Times writer Lance Pugmire, Chael Sonnen tested positive for a "natural steroid".

http://twitter.com/latimespugmire/status/24998359379

dbreiden83080
09-20-2010, 11:28 AM
According to LA Times writer Lance Pugmire, Chael Sonnen tested positive for a "natural steroid".

http://twitter.com/latimespugmire/status/24998359379

Yeah that's what i said before so, i guess that means GNC product or something else? Not a hard roid but he is gonna get suspended for like a year nomatter what..

dbreiden83080
09-20-2010, 12:32 PM
I'm still not understanding why some folks think banned substance automatically means steroids. There's over the counter medication and supplements for strength training that can set off the drug tests. I'm waiting for Chael to say something, otherwise his silence will speak for itself. Although it'd be nice if Dana let him speak unlike telling Carwin to be quiet and let it blow over...

http://www.cagepotato.com/chael-sonnen-ped-update-natural-steroids-dana-whites-response-more

To you're point..

California State Athletic Commission Executive Officer George Dodd revealed this morning that Chael Sonnen failed his UFC 117 post-fight drug screening due to performance-enhancing drugs.

Dodd did not reveal which substance caused Sonnen to fail the test, and it's important to restrain yourself from jumping to conclusions in the matter. Sonnen was sick with the flu in the days leading up to the fight and was taking medications for both -- medications which are known to trigger false positives in drug screening.

The list of over-the-counter drugs that can cause a false positive for amphetamines include:

Nyquil, Contactd, Sudafed, Allerest 12-Hour, A.R.M., Triaminic 12, Ornade, Tavist-D, Dimetapp, Sinex, Neosynephrine, Actifed, Bayer Selectd Maximum Strength Sinus Pain Relief Caplets, Contact Non-Drowsy Formula Sinus Caplets, Dristan Cold Caplets, Maximum Strength Sine-Aid Tablets, Maximum Strengeth Sudafed Sinus Caplets, Maximum Strength Tylenol Sinus Gelcaps, No Drowsiness Sinarest Tabs, Sinus Excedrin Extra Sterength Caplets, Characol Sinus, Drixoral Cold and Flu, Efidac/24, Phenegan-D, Robitussin Cold and Flu. Over-the-counter diet aids containing phenylpropanolamine: Dexatrim, Accutrim. Over-the-counter nasal sprays: Vicks inhaler, Afrin. Asthma medication: Marax, Bronkaid tablets, Primatine Tablets. Prescription medication: Amfeprainone, Cathne, Etafediabe, Morazone, phendimetrazine, phenmetrazine, benzphetamine, fenfluramine, dexfenfluramine, dexdenflurarnine, Redux, mephentermine, Mesocarb, methoxyphenamine, phentermine, amineptine, Pholedrine, hydroymethamphetamine, Dexedrine, amifepramone, clobenzorex, fenproyorex, mefenorex, fenelylline, Didrex, dextroamphetamine, methphenidate, Ritalin, pemoline, Cylert, selegiline, Deprenyl, Eldepryl, Famprofazone

http://sherdognet.craveonline.com/index.php#http://blogs.chron.com/fighting/2010/09/sonnen_fails_drug_test_but_cou.html

BlackSwordsMan
09-20-2010, 12:55 PM
well by the time he comes back anderson would have retired and be a writer in brazil writing childrens books

angelbelow
09-20-2010, 07:41 PM
if it was really PED... what does that mean?

-he talked all that shit only to cheat..
-silva is a motherfucking beast...

wont jump to conclusion just yet but man...

desflood
09-21-2010, 08:59 AM
Ohh...

Chael Sonnen's Testosterone "Well Above Normal Levels" From a Steroid Substance

by Nick Thomas on Sep 20, 2010 7:34 PM EDT in UFC News 253 comments

Josh Gross tweets:

CSAC executive director George Dodd says steroid in Sonnen's system not natural substance.

Chael Sonnen tested for "well above normal levels of testosterone," according to CSAC executive director George Dodd.

George Dodd also spoke with Sherdog:

"I have it but I haven’t really reviewed it yet, it is a steroid substance," said Dodd.

Lance Pugmire of the Los Angeles Times quoted Dodd as saying that the test came back positive due to the presence of a "natural steroid." The commission chief contradicted the report.

"No," said the Executive Officer. "I don’t believe it is a natural steroid."

Sonnen has 30 days to respond to the notice and lodge an appeal of his $2,500 fine and year-long suspension.

MMA Junkie has more:

The timing of the positive test could scratch the rematch unless Sonnen gets an appeal and resolution before the year's end.

"We always say you want to make [the appeal] at the next commission meeting (from the notice)," Dodd said. "The next [meeting] after that probably won't be until the following year, and from what I understand, he has a rematch with Anderson Silva possibly in February. He'll probably be maintaining the suspension unless he gets on the agenda next time."

Josh Gross adds this intriguing detail at Sports Illustrated:

Sonnen, 33, of West Lind, Ore., was apparently concerned enough about the possibility that he would render a positive test that he told CSAC executive director George Dodd he used an illegal performance enhancing drug leading up to the biggest fight of his life.
"He only indicated that he was taking it but he never indicated why," Dodd said of a conversation he and Sonnen shared during drug testing conducted by the state a day prior to the fight.

Sonnen "just let me know he was taking [something] and that's when I called over an inspector to get it documented. But when you do take it you still have to show a medical reason."
Though Sonnen mentioned using an illegal substance, the veteran mixed martial artist failed to note it on a pre-fight questionnaire with commission doctors or provide documentation about the use of testosterone in a medical context, according to Dodd.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/9/20/1700740/chael-sonnen-well-above-normal

Stringer_Bell
09-21-2010, 09:41 AM
Though Sonnen mentioned using an illegal substance, the veteran mixed martial artist failed to note it on a pre-fight questionnaire with commission doctors or provide documentation about the use of testosterone in a medical context, according to Dodd.

CSAC just stepped into a big pile of shit for this. Something is fishy about the whole story coming out of there, they're looking at a few inquiries for sure.

dbreiden83080
09-21-2010, 10:44 AM
This is fucked up..

dbreiden83080
09-21-2010, 11:05 AM
Where is Chael Sonnen?

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/Where-is-Chael-Sonnen-27014

You know something is very, very wrong when Chael Sonnen has nothing to say: the fighter lauded for a terrific 23-minute performance against Anderson Silva in early August is now a virtual shut-in thanks to California Athletic Commission Executive Director George Dodd confirming Sonnen tested positive for performance enhancers -- a charge prompted by abnormally high levels of testosterone.

Sonnen -- who spun an often-outrageous personality to the point he became nearly incomprehensible -- built a very high standard for himself leading in to the Silva fight: he would beat the champion up, take his lunch money, steal his book bag, and etc. That’s more or less what he did. But now all of that hustle and effort may have an asterisk next to it.

(Fighters can be given a pass from testosterone supplementation if they’re taking it for a legitimate medical reason: specifically, to elevate abnormally low levels to a normal range. But if Sonnen’s results were off the charts, the California commission either has a very different idea of “elevated” or he had exceeded any reasonable medical use.)

Sonnen is far from unique: he’s the fourth of Silva’s UFC opponents to test positive for drugs at some point in their respective careers. What makes his situation regrettable is that he was popped immediately following a crucial fight; worse, his pro wrestling shtick didn’t leave him much room for personal error -- including a monologue on how Lance Armstrong’s alleged use of banned substances gave him cancer. You make a statement like that and you’d better not burn a hole in the cup you’re asked to pee in.

That achievement breaks what’s been a fairly long stretch of quiet for the UFC: the last time a title contender tested positive was Sean Sherk in the summer of 2007, a charge Sherk vehemently denied. Right or wrong, PEDs remain a staple of sports: the only real debate is how best to mask usage so it remains an unspoken topic.

The accused are hardly the only athletes using pharmaceutical help at this level: they just happen to be one of the unlucky few who get tagged for it. Aside from the prohibitively expensive method of blood work, the best way to dissuade athletes from using is completely random testing: no notice, no pattern, just a demand for a sample at any time during the year. While some commissions have a policy in place for that strategy, few (or none) ever actually put it in practice with any conviction. As long as the system remains predictable, fighters will think of ways around it.

It’s unrealistic to expect drug protocol will be uniform from top to bottom, or from state to state. As the stakes get higher, it should be up to promotions and commissions to work in tandem to create a solution that will treat key bouts with the attention they require to keep them honest. You can’t test every fighter on a card with blood work and off-season tests? Fine: focus on the main event and subject those fighters to exhaustive testing. If a contender knows that the price of competing for a title is a system that could and would detect any invalid substance in his body, he’s far less likely to get into the habit of using on the road to that opportunity. And since every fighter believes he can one day contend for a title, it should act as a deterrent without breaking any state’s bank.

As for Sonnen: his choice is whether or not to confess in a sincere way (if he did as he’s accused) or come up with another gimmick to deflect attention away from the situation. If Sonnen is as straight-talking as he claims to be, he won’t dive for cover behind the idea of “tainted supplements” (a popular defense) or a drawn-out semantics argument over testing protocol. If guilty, admitting it goes a long way. Already, there are reports that Sonnen told Dodd he had taken a banned substance immediately prior to the fight. Why would Sonnen say that, especially if he had no way of knowing whether Dodd would act on that information and pull him from the card?

In that instance, the UFC would quarter him; in this drawn-out scenario, what else can they do after the commission has suspended and fined him? It’s a fair point, but the real test of the UFC’s sincerity will be when Sonnen’s possible suspension is up: does it do a rematch with Silva, basically turning a blind eye to the situation, or does it acknowledge that the fighter has dropped himself down the ladder and will need to fight his way back up? Being awarded a title bout after coming off a scandal would not do much to prove the UFC is anti-PEDs.

Only Silva comes out spotless. Not only did he perform an 11th-hour save of his own ass, he did it injured and against a man who is alleged to have been cheating.

It’s going to be a rough few months for Sonnen, who also has to deal with the aftershocks in a simmering political career in Oregon. But he shouldn’t sweat it. The penalty for PED use in those circles? Becoming Governor of California.

polandprzem
09-21-2010, 02:07 PM
Poland knows a lot about this stuff

Nahhh

It used to interest me, and probably now i would check what could cause higher level of testosterone in body of sonnen which btw. is measured by taken from the space limitation which somebody regulated by their own belief.

he probably took something. But the team should keep the 'levels' in the proper limitation.
Testosterone is not natural? Or they mean the 'drug' he took was not natural?

Sonnen got to get out of it and Dana should somehow help him. We want to see a rematch.

polandprzem
09-21-2010, 02:08 PM
To be strict.
All my case with the roids is that you all think that the sport is clean and the testing is fair.

dbreiden83080
09-21-2010, 06:19 PM
To be strict.
All my case with the roids is that you all think that the sport is clean and the testing is fair.

I think the sport is as clean as it's gonna get given the procedures in place. We can't say "It's just not working" when guys are getting busted. Sure fighters are likely getting away with stuff but others are getting busted. Sonnen has been a MMA fighter a long time and they caught him..

BlackSwordsMan
09-21-2010, 07:56 PM
what kind of roids does cyborg use? that fucking disgusting man beast

tlongII
09-21-2010, 09:53 PM
I'm very disappointed in Sonnen.

dbreiden83080
09-21-2010, 10:10 PM
I'm very disappointed in Sonnen.

Me too..

dbreiden83080
09-21-2010, 10:14 PM
UFC's Chael Sonnen to appeal positive drug test, says manager

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Chael+Sonnen+appeal+positive+drug+test+says+manage r/3556991/story.html#ixzz10DyrLoam

Chael Sonnen, the No. 1 contender for the Ultimate Fighting Championship middleweight title, will appeal the result of a drug test which found he had abnormally-high levels of testosterone in his system prior to UFC 117 last month.

"It is our policy not to comment on pending actions by the Athletic Commission,” wrote Mike Roberts, Sonnen’s manager, in a statement released Tuesday to MMAFighting.com.

“Chael is consulting with his legal advisors and physicians and will have a statement in the near future. Chael will file and appeal with the CSAC and looks forward to working with the Commission to resolve this matter."

The positive test came from a urine sample Sonnen gave before UFC 117 that was processed through the Olympic drug-testing lab at UCLA.

Sonnen is facing a one-year suspension and $2,500 fine. After receiving notice of his test failure on Friday, Sonnen has 30 days to appeal.

Sonnen did not respond Monday to an interview request.

In the biggest match of his career, Sonnen dominated reigning middleweight champion Anderson Silva for 23 minutes in their title bout on Aug. 7 at UFC 117 before being forced to submit, less than two minutes from claiming the championship. UFC president Dana White had scheduled a rematch, tentatively penned in for the company’s traditional Super Bowl-weekend card in Las Vegas in February, although that bout is in jeopardy at this point.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Chael+Sonnen+appeal+positive+drug+test+says+manage r/3556991/story.html#ixzz10DyiMf00

ace3g
09-22-2010, 03:36 PM
ESPN espn

UFC's Chael Sonnen tests positive for steroids, commission revokes license - http://es.pn/cWn4Pa

dbreiden83080
09-23-2010, 11:40 AM
Tune in must see TV...

Host of ESPN MMA Live Jon Anik revealed via his Twitter page today that embattled number one UFC middleweight contender Chael Sonnen will be appearing on MMA Live this Thursday morning at 1 AM, presumably to discuss his recently failed performance enhancing drug test.
"Must-see TV: Chael Sonnen in studio for @ESPN_MMALive Thurs., 1AM ET on ESPN2," Anik tweeted.

Sonnen is the focus of the MMA world currently as it was revealed over the weekend that he had failed his UFC 117 screening for performance enhancing drugs by testing positive for abnormally high levels of testosterone.

The brash Oregonian faces a mandated year-long suspension and a $2,500 fine for his infraction but has thirty days to file an appeal. Sonnen's manager revealed today that he does indeed plan on appealing the test results.

Sonnen fought UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva this past August at UFC 117 and dominated the Brazilian dynamo for the majority of five rounds before succumbing to a triangle choke delivered by the champion. He was awarded an immediate rematch, which was expected to take place this February, but that bout could now be in jeopardy depending on how things unfurl over the coming months.

Sonnen has remained silent since the news broke and will likely be commenting publicly on the issue for the first time during his MMA Live appearance.

ace3g
09-23-2010, 01:09 PM
Disappointing. RT @ESPN_MMALIVE Chael Sonnen unable to join us on MMA Live tonite. We'll still break down the entire situation.

polandprzem
09-23-2010, 01:40 PM
Wow Sonnen

dbreiden83080
09-23-2010, 03:46 PM
You know Sonnen is guilty as sin when he is canceling appearances.

BlairForceDejuan
09-23-2010, 06:51 PM
Man. Some of the best soundbytes in the sport :depressed

This is karma for the tap-no-tap.