PDA

View Full Version : FOX SPORTS: 2010-2011 Point Guard Preview

Ashy Larry
09-19-2010, 11:40 AM
Pointing out the differences

It's time for our annual lists of the top 10 players at each position. Each week we'll post a new one, followed by our top 20 players overall. Let's start with the point guards, a position that has added great depth with the influx of talented young playmakers in recent years, though a few 30-somethings still crack the list. The ratings, of course, are entirely subjective. We're not even going to pretend to have arrived at some pseudo-scientific conclusions based on empirical data, like some websites. Really, it's just the opinion of one guy who watches a lot of basketball, FOXSports.com NBA editor John Galinsky. And this is who he thinks will be the league's 10 best point guards this season.

10. Jameer Nelson, Orlando Magic

Nelson gets the No. 10 spot in a tough call over Devin Harris (Nets), Jason Kidd (Mavs), Stephen Curry (Warriors) and John Wall (Wizards) because we're expecting a bounceback season from Orlando's mighty mite. He has struggled ever since injuring his shoulder in February 2009, but before that Nelson had emerged as a deadeye shooter, a sturdy defender and Orlando's emotional leader. For the Magic to be a true contender again, he needs to re-assert his leadership and take control of the offense from Vince Carter.

9. Tyreke Evans, Sacramento Kings

The 2010 Rookie of the Year isn't a true point guard, but he's Sacramento's primary playmaker as well as its main scoring option. At 6-6 and 220 pounds, Evans is an irresistible force driving to the basket, averaging more than 20 points despite an erratic jumpshot. He's also a willing passer (5.8 apg) and capable rebounder (5.3). If he can improve his long-range accuracy even a little bit, he'll be a nightmare to defend for many years.

8. Tony Parker, San Antonio Spurs

If you're sure that Parker's best years are behind him, you may be confusing him with teammates Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili. Yes, Parker's numbers fell as he hobbled through last season with knee and ankle problems. But he's only two years removed from a career-best season (22.0 ppg, 6.9 apg) and three removed from winning the Finals MVP. At 28, Parker should be in his prime, but it all depends on his wheels. If he can't run like he used to, maybe Eva Longoria's husband really is washed up.

7. Chauncey Billups, Denver Nuggets

Since arriving in Denver two years ago, Billups has given the Nuggets all the stability, leadership and production they sorely needed. He even averaged a career-best 19.5 points last season. And yet ... Billups turns 34 this month. He slowed down at the end of last season, contributing to Denver's collapse, and was torched by Deron Williams in the playoffs. He still has the moxie and skill to get the job done, but he probably can't keep things from going south if Carmelo Anthony is unhappy and the Nuggets start to unravel.

6. Russell Westbrook, Oklahoma City Thunder

This seems a bit high for a 21-year-old who can't shoot and is still learning the nuances of the position. But how many NBA point guards are as electric as Westbrook? His energy, defense and fire are a nice complement to Kevin Durant's cold-blooded scoring sprees. It's also hard to complain about his production (16.1 ppg, 8.0 apg, 4.9 rpg) or his upside. Westbrook may not be an elite PG yet, but as he showed for Team USA in Turkey, he's a difference-maker who does much more good than harm.

5. Steve Nash, Phoenix Suns

Offensively, he's as brilliant as ever. The best shooter and passer in the league, Nash remains a maestro at running an offense, especially in transition. Even with Amar'e Stoudemire in New York, you can count on Phoenix to keep piling up points. But at 36, Nash has lost a step on defense, leaving him with none. He can't stop any of the young guns at point guard who have entered the league in the last five years. Then again, they can't stop him either.

4. Rajon Rondo, Boston Celtics

It's hard to figure where to rate Rondo. His strengths are so strong, his weaknesses so weak, that he's unlike any other point guard in the league. We know he can run and penetrate and dish and defend as well as anyone. He also proved himself as a leader in last season's playoffs, driving the Celtics to the verge of an unlikely title. But we also know that he can be left wide open and can't be counted on to make pressure free throws. Until his shooting touch becomes adequate, he can't be rated any higher than this.

3. Derrick Rose, Chicago Bulls

There are parts of Rose's game that are suspect (outside shooting), merely average (passing) or overrated (defense). But the overall package is still something special. His size, strength and speed allow him to get to the rim and finish; his 20.8 ppg were tops among point guards last season. He's best in transition but should be deadly running the pick and roll with Carlos Boozer. At 21, he still has plenty of room for improvement, which is good since he'll have to improve quite a bit to crack the top two at this position.

2. Chris Paul, New Orleans Hornets

Paul emerged as the NBA's top point guard three seasons ago, finishing second in the MVP voting thanks to his lethal offensive skills, defensive thievery and irrepressible personality. He's still sensational at 25 but a few things have changed beyond his control. A knee injury cost him half of last season, so his health remains a question mark. The New Orleans roster has regressed around him, so the Hornets are no longer contenders. Paul isn't the happy-go-lucky star steering a franchise on the rise. He's disgruntled and probably planning his escape. As long as he's healthy, he can re-establish himself as the league's premier point guard, but he needs to prove it all over again.

1. Deron Williams, Utah Jazz

He isn't the best at any single thing. He's not the greatest shooter or passer or defender or ball-handler. Hey, no one's perfect. But when you combine all of the traits necessary to be a great point guard -- skills, size, speed, durability, leadership -- Williams is the closest you get to perfection. He does everything well, especially when it comes to executing Utah's ultra-efficient offense. At 26, he's in his prime at a time when many of the league's best point guards are either very young , very old or, in Paul's case, coming off an injury. For a few more years at least, Williams and Paul should battle for head of the class at this position.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/lists/2010-11-nba-preview-top-10-point-guards#sport=NBA&photo=12060300

Giuseppe
09-19-2010, 11:45 AM
I still like Rondo the best. And I'd still trade anyone on our roster not named Kobe for him.

The youngsters here on this list still operate on the periphery of the game. Rondo is lost in it.

Purch
09-19-2010, 11:46 AM
Intense.

DPG21920
09-19-2010, 11:47 AM
TP will be numero 3 or 4 on that list at the end of the year.

redzero
09-19-2010, 11:47 AM
I still like Rondo the best. And I'd still trade anyone on our roster not named Kobe for him.

The youngsters here on this list still operate on the periphery of the game. Rondo is lost in it.

Yeah, I'd definitely trade Pau Gasol for an overrated point guard who shoots free throws so bad he'd make Ben Wallace cringe.

Purch
09-19-2010, 11:49 AM
If Nash has really fallen off which I expect. Then Rondo is my number 3.

I'd take him over Rose for everything expect scoring.

Giuseppe
09-19-2010, 11:50 AM
Yeah, I'd definitely trade Pau Gasol for an overrated point guard who shoots free throws so bad he'd make Ben Wallace cringe.

Yes. I'd still take the gamble. I think Gasol's grip at prime is tenuous. I don't entirely trust him. I can get that mistrust, albeit differently with Rondo and garner ten years.

Venti Quattro
09-19-2010, 11:50 AM
Number 1! :tu :tu :tu

DPG21920
09-19-2010, 11:51 AM
Rose is crazy overrated in my book. You can't knock Rondo and then rank Rose higher with the same exact flaws.

If someone can't make clutch FT's, it is Rose....

Venti Quattro
09-19-2010, 11:52 AM
Yes. I'd still take the gamble. I think Gasol's grip at prime is tenuous. I don't entirely trust him. I can get that mistrust, albeit differently with Rondo and garner ten years.

All these three years and you still don't trust Gasol? You can hand the Lakers' keys to Pau now and there won't be a missed beat. But of course when the going gets tough I still prefer that Kobe gets the keys.

redzero
09-19-2010, 11:53 AM
If someone can't make free throws period, it's Rondo.

Culburn, you'd be crazy to trade Gasol for Rondo. The dude was left open by the Lakers in the Finals and still missed his shots.

Venti Quattro
09-19-2010, 11:58 AM
Culburn, you'd be crazy...

He IS crazy

TinTin
09-19-2010, 12:02 PM
5. Steve Nash, Phoenix Suns

Offensively, he's as brilliant as ever. The best shooter and passer in the league, Nash remains a maestro at running an offense, especially in transition. Even with Amar'e Stoudemire in New York, you can count on Phoenix to keep piling up points. But at 36, Nash has lost a step on defense, leaving him with none. He can't stop any of the young guns at point guard who have entered the league in the last five years. Then again, they can't stop him either.

pre :lol if Dok posts something

Giuseppe
09-19-2010, 12:03 PM
If someone can't make free throws period, it's Rondo.

Culburn, you'd be crazy to trade Gasol for Rondo. The dude was left open by the Lakers in the Finals and still missed his shots.

Yeah, Kobe running away from him on the arc at the end necessitated Vug canning those two fts.

tee, hee.

Purch
09-19-2010, 12:03 PM
Lmao. Nash has lost a step on defense leaving him with none.

ROFLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Anyhow. That might be the worst description of Deron I've ever seen.

Giuseppe
09-19-2010, 12:04 PM
He IS crazy

You know I usually don't disturb my fellows, Vent. But, you're taxing my shit, motherf'er.

sefant77
09-19-2010, 12:05 PM
Nelson is crap

redzero
09-19-2010, 12:06 PM
Yeah, Kobe running away from him on the arc at the end necessitated Vug canning those two fts.

tee, hee.

Oh, now I get it. You want Rondo because he was crucial to the Lakers winning the championship.

HarlemHeat37
09-19-2010, 12:07 PM
PG defense is extremely overrated..

Giuseppe
09-19-2010, 12:08 PM
Oh, now I get it. You want Rondo because he was crucial to the Lakers winning the championship.

No, because he was crucial in us almost losing it.

Venti Quattro
09-19-2010, 12:16 PM
PG defense is extremely overrated..

Team defense FTW

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-19-2010, 12:20 PM
Rondo should be 3.

BRHornet45
09-19-2010, 04:00 PM
sons there are 3 point guards on that list who are better than Williams

Giuseppe
09-19-2010, 05:23 PM
Williams took a huge step back in these last playoffs Vs. the Lakers. He was distracted, lame & puny.

WTF was wrong with him?

Koolaid_Man
09-19-2010, 07:12 PM

Yeah I don't fully trust Gasol either...I need to see a Nasty streak...I need to see Gasol calling someone a bitch ass...I need to see some nigga...

Look how he responds when Kobe elbows him to the floor...

Not a stare or a muthafucking word to Kobe..that shit does worry me sometimes...:lol

FIbBRS58-Qk

Koolaid_Man
09-19-2010, 07:28 PM
but I still wouldn't swap Pau for Rondo...Rondo as a first option is wickedly insane...Rondo can't lead a team...as in being the number 1 guy...He's thriving in that Boston's big 3 scheme but I don't think his game translates outside of Boston.

DJ Mbenga
09-19-2010, 07:32 PM
no complaints