PDA

View Full Version : FOX SPORTS: 2010-11 NBA preview: MVP candidates

Ashy Larry
09-19-2010, 11:58 AM
Is this still how you spell MVP?

LeBron James has run away with the NBA's Most Valuable Player award the past two seasons, garnering 116 of 123 first-place votes in 2010 and 109 of 121 first-place votes in 2009. But things may be different in 2011. With LeBron sharing the stage in Miami with his superfriends and no longer a media darling, to say the least, the MVP race could be wide open. Here are our top five candidates entering the season. -- John Galinsky

5. Dwyane Wade, SG, Miami Heat

Wade led the NBA in scoring two seasons ago but finished third in MVP voting. Last season he was sensational again, yet four players received more votes. The problem? The Heat weren't good enough to be contenders, and the MVP almost always comes from one of the top teams. That shouldn't be a problem this year, with Miami a good bet to finish with the league's best record. But to earn the top individual honor, Wade will need to show he's better (or at least more valuable in voters' eyes) than his new celebrity teammate (LeBron, not Mickey Mouse). Depending on how their roles evolve, that's possible but not too likely.

4. Dwight Howard, C, Orlando Magic

If half the game is defense, Howard is halfway to winning an MVP award. The league's defensive player of the year the past two seasons, he's likely to keep that honor as long as he remains the NBA's best rebounder and shot-blocker. The key, then, is diversifying an offensive game that relies too much on dunks and right-handed baby hooks. After averaging just 10 shots per game last season, he first needs to prove he deserves the ball more often. Then his teammates (yes, you, Vince Carter) have to give it to him.

3. Kobe Bryant, SG, Los Angeles Lakers

It's hard to believe Kobe has won just one MVP award in his 14-year NBA career. And at the age of 32, he's not likely to win another. Has he regressed? No. In fact, he may still be the league's most skilled player, most ferocious competitor and best clutch shooter. But with his laundry list of injuries, including a now-arthritic finger and multiple knee surgeries, Kobe needs to pace himself and make sure he's fit for the playoffs. If that costs him a shot at the regular-season MVP but allows him to be Finals MVP for the third straight year, he'll surely be fine with that.

2. Kevin Durant, SF, Oklahoma City Thunder

At the age of 21, Durant became the league's youngest scoring champion and finished second in MVP voting. So what can we expect at 22? Well, judging from his play for Team USA, he appears to be a little stronger and maybe a little taller -- some reports say he's closer to 6-11 than his listed 6-9 -- which should make him even more of a scoring machine, not to mention a better defender. He's also undeniably "The Man" for the Thunder, while Miami's stars may split MVP votes. Moreover, with his humble demeanor, he's universally liked by fans and voters, which helps if the award turns into a popularity contest. Yes, that happens sometimes.

1. LeBron James, SF, Miami Heat

Fine, call him a jerk for the way he's acted this summer. If you want to, call him a choker or a quitter in the playoffs. Just don't deny that LeBron has been by far the league's most dominant player in each of the past two regular seasons. (The MVP being, of course, a regular-season honor.) And at the age of 25, he should just be entering his prime. The only real question is whether he'll put up MVP numbers as part of a so-called superteam. But if he's the best player on the team with the best record, like he has been the past two years and should be again in Miami, it will be hard to justify giving the MVP to anyone else.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/lists/2010-11-preview-MVP-candidates#sport=NBA&photo=11930923

Giuseppe
09-19-2010, 12:02 PM
Have at it. I don't do MVP.

It's my religion.

Koolaid_Man
09-19-2010, 12:03 PM
lol...The media changing it's MVP criteria again? I didn't know the MVP went to the best player in the league...I thought it was a "make teammates better award"...lol

sefant77
09-19-2010, 12:04 PM
lol Fox Sports

HarlemHeat37
09-19-2010, 12:08 PM
I'd be surprised if Dwight Howard doesn't win MVP, book that shit..

Booharv
09-19-2010, 12:13 PM
Durant imho.

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-19-2010, 12:20 PM
Durant

Venti Quattro
09-19-2010, 12:24 PM
kdthunderup

DPG21920
09-19-2010, 12:25 PM
Lebron

DJ Mbenga
09-19-2010, 07:34 PM
in this order. durant, howard, kobe, everyone else.

LkrFan
09-19-2010, 11:15 PM
Lebron
Not saying Kobe will win it, but how do you expect LeHype to win it? Somebody is going to have to sacrifice their game so that LeHype can put up the numbers necessary to win the MVP. Bosh, is not JJ Hixson. DWhistle, is not Mo Williams. This means that neither of these legit all stars will be willing to sacrifice their games and bow down to the king with no ring. If Spoelstra is smart, there will be no more "4-corners" with LeHype dribbling the leather off the ball until someone gets open so that he can get his stats.

I'll put my money on the flava of the month: KD.

lil_penny
09-19-2010, 11:30 PM
kdthunderup

xellos88330
09-20-2010, 12:56 AM
Durant.

Red Hawk #21
09-21-2010, 05:23 PM
I'd go with Lebron for now. Durant still doesn't have the all around game to be considered MVP yet, but he will in a few seasons.

mingus
09-21-2010, 06:19 PM
This will finally be the year for Kobe. his averages will be the same if not better than last year (with his surgery) and the Lakers will have the best record in the NBA. Miami will need time to gel before they reach their potential.

Rummpd
09-22-2010, 11:53 AM
It's Durant's to lose.

lefty
09-22-2010, 11:58 AM
Durant