PDA

View Full Version : Jazz riding wave of cautious optimism as camp opening nears

Ashy Larry
09-19-2010, 12:43 PM
For an NBA general manager dealing with a significant amount of uncertainty and change, Kevin O’Connor exuded nothing but calm confidence.

He slowly walked through the empty hallways of the Utah Jazz’s practice facility earlier this week, flipping on bright lights to better display large blue-and-green themed rooms that belong to the team’s front-office personnel.

He caught a quick minute of welcome-back conversation with still-unpacking Jazz coach Jerry Sloan, offering a smile laced with an insider’s-only greeting.

Then the casually dressed O’Connor — wearing summer shorts and a wrinkled Kansas Jayhawks T-shirt — eased into a straight-backed office chair and answered every query thrown his way.

The hope and optimism that surround the first-year relationship of Jazz point guard Deron Williams and newly acquired center Al Jefferson. The odd mixture of caution and anticipation that revolve around Andrei Kirilenko, Kyrylo Fesenko and Mehmet Okur. And the unknown future a consistently competitive Utah team faces as it learns to live life without Carlos Boozer, Kyle Korver and Wesley Matthews.

O’Connor had answers for everything. And while questions still and will remain, one thing was certain: The Jazz are less than two weeks away from tipping off training camp for the 2010-11 season, and O’Connor is ready to go.

“We lost some good players, and I think we got some good players coming in to replace them,” O’Connor said. “Now, how that translates into team efficiency, playing in close games and playing on the road, we don’t know yet. But I don’t think the cupboard’s bare.”

The 12th-year GM credited the ownership of the Miller family with again spending the money necessary to allow the small-market Jazz to compete with big-market powerhouses such as the Los Angeles Lakers. And while many analysts spent a chaotic free-agent summer concentrating on the players Utah lost, O’Connor and other key Jazz executives are riding a smooth, steady wave of cautious optimism as they analyze and explore exactly what Utah possesses.

“I’ll let the court of public opinion evaluate it,” O’Connor said. “The biggest thing is how it’ll translate into wins and losses. That’s really the only thing that your report card is judged on.”

While the still-forming relationship between Williams and Jefferson will likely have the most affect on O’Connor’s season-ending grade, the GM acknowledged that Kirilenko’s role and future with the team is of near-equal importance to Utah’s fate.

A healthy, motivated Kirilenko is a major asset for a Jazz team that will largely rely on role and second-tier players as it battles for the Western Conference’s Northwest Division title. But Kirilenko’s health and motivation have long been question marks. And with the Jazz lifer possessing a $17.8 million expiring contract that could mark the end of his tenure in Salt Lake City, O’Connor acknowledged that this season is nothing less than huge for the agile but unpredictable forward.

“I think the key thing is, Andrei’s got to play this year,” O’Connor said.
The GM knows that Kirilenko will worry about his contract situation, but hopes that he can play through it.

“If he plays well, it helps us; it helps him,” O’Connor said.
Expected improvement from Paul Millsap and C.J. Miles should soften the blow if Kirilenko fails to deliver or is traded midseason.

However, a last-minute move the Jazz made last summer could provide the largest cushion. O’Connor did not hype the arrival — and return — of veteran guard Raja Bell. But he did not play it down, either.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/jazz/50301620-87/connor-jazz-kirilenko-players.html.csp

Purch
09-19-2010, 12:50 PM
This article is like a week old lol.

Ashy Larry
09-19-2010, 12:53 PM
This article is like a week old lol.

says it was published yesterday ..... plus you can't find shit worth printing on the Jazz.

Koolaid_Man
09-19-2010, 12:59 PM
ashy on a fucking roll with the posts today...

Purch
09-19-2010, 01:02 PM
says it was published yesterday ..... plus you can't find shit worth printing on the Jazz.

I just posted a Ronnie Price interview an Hour ago.

Giuseppe
09-19-2010, 01:03 PM
Same old shit with the Jazz:::Sloan micromanaging...ruling with an iron fist.

I don't understand their end game.

Purch
09-19-2010, 01:05 PM
Interview: Jazz's Price discusses Jefferson, team chemistry
Published on Sep 18, 2010 06:50PM http://www.sltrib.com/csp/cms/sites/sltrib/assets/images/tinybubble.gif 0 Comments (http://comments2.sltdb.com/comments.php?id=50311361)
Transcript of a media interview conducted with the Utah Jazz guard Ronnie Price during the Dodge Barrage (http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogs/jazznotes/50311283-62/ghostbusters-team-williams-fun.html.csp) charity dodgeball tournament Saturday at the Salt Palace Convention Center in Salt Lake City.
On newly acquired center Al Jefferson:

As far as a teammate and the upcoming season goes, we can't be happier to have him. We're happy to have him. He's a great addition, and we're going to be a much better ball club with him. We're just excited to get into training camp to start molding together. There's a lot of expectations, of course. But I think everything's going to work out for the best.

On Jefferson picking up the scoring Utah lost with the departure of Carlos Boozer:

He's always been a 20-10 guy. So, I don't think that will be an issue at all. Actually, in our system, he'll actually be able to succeed more. Minnesota, he didn't have a Deron Williams-caliber point guard. He didn't have a team that moves the ball as well as our team does. So, he'll have easier looks. His job will be a lot easier, and the load's not going to be all on his back. He'll be able to score and help us out in a lot of ways.

On the team's chemistry heading into training camp:

I mean, look at all the guys that are here. That just kind of shows you a lot about the way the organization gets guys; it says a lot about our team. We've been playing pick-up games in the morning — we played this morning before dodgeball even started. Great turnout. And, man, we're just really excited to get this season on the way and start seeing how good we really are.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogs/jazznotes/50311361-62/lot-team-jefferson-salt.html.csp

Purch
09-19-2010, 01:08 PM
And they've also been practicing together for the past two weeks in pickup games.

Most of the Jazz players are in town and are working out. Each morning they have a game at the practice facility. Then most of the players put in extra work in the afternoon.
Today the guys had a full 5 on 5 game. The players in today’s game including Deron, Ronnie P, Paul Millsap, Francisco Elson, Godon Hayward, Jeremy Evans, Al Jefferson, Ryan Thompson, Sundiata, Jeffers. I believe one or two more may have been there as well.
The talk amongst some of the guys was the athleticism of Jeremy Evans. They say he is an absolute pogo stick. The other thing people were mentioning was what a nice young man Evans is.
To some extent training camp already started for these guys. The coaches and team are not allowed to be involved until training camp starts.
This is an important time of year. The leadership of the team significantly impacts the quality of these workouts. In addition, the atmosphere is more relaxed and allows the players to forge the beginning of relationships.
For the new pieces of Hayward, Evans and Jefferson this is an important time to show their teammates what they are capable of doing and who they are as people.

Building chemistry

Giuseppe
09-19-2010, 01:09 PM
If I had my druthers, I'd still love to have Kirilenko on the Lakers. He'd be ideal there.

It will never happen while Miller is alive & Sloan is part & parcel. We got half it solved.

tee, hee.

Purch
09-19-2010, 01:11 PM
If I had my druthers, I'd still love to have Kirilenko on the Lakers. He'd be ideal there.

It will never happen while Miller is alive & Sloan is part & parcel. We got half it solved.

tee, hee.

Larry H. Miller, owner of the Utah Jazz died from complications due to type 2 diabetes Friday, at home, surrounded by his family. He was 64.

Miller,was born in Salt Lake City in 1944. He grew up in the Capitol Hill area and went on to become one of Utah’s most successful entrepreneurs and business leaders.
Miller was the owner of the Larry H. Miller Group of Companies, whose primary business is a network of automobile dealerships spanning the Rocky Mountain West. His career in the automotive industry grew from roots in the parts business in both Salt Lake City and Denver before he purchased his first dealership in 1979.

Wrong Choice of words :depressed

Giuseppe
09-19-2010, 01:17 PM
Wrong Choice of words :depressed

"We got half it solved."

That's what I was referring to, Purch. Now we got figure out how to get rid of Sloan before Kirilenko gets too gd old for use.