PDA

View Full Version : Discovery Channel Sueing the Time Bandit

Soul_Patch
09-21-2010, 11:48 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/us_discovery

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) – Most reality TV producers follow a simple format: Capture what happens, and then have cast-members fill in story gaps with voice-overs and cutaways. But what to do when reality TV stars jump ship before sitting down for the required interviews?

Sue them, of course.

Discovery is seeking $3 million in damages after two stars of "Deadliest Catch," Jonathan and Andy Hillstrand, allegedly failed to live up to an agreement to complete a spin-off project.

According to the breach-of-contract lawsuit, filed last week in Maryland Circuit Court, the Hillstrands were to film a one-time special called "Hillstranded." The duo was coming off five seasons of "Deadliest Catch," one of the most popular programs on any Discovery-affiliated network. The special was to document the team's various adventures in Alaska; work unrelated to their jobs as crab fisherman. Two weeks of principal photography was shot in June, but there was still work to do.

"The Hillstrand Defendants determined that they would reverse course, dishonor their promises, and refuse to render the services necessary to complete 'Hillstranded,'" reads the complaint.

At the end of August, Discovery allegedly called the brothers to confirm a date, time and location for them to sit for interviews. The complaint says the only response was an e-mail from a lawyer for the brothers informing producers that they shouldn't attempt any further contact with them.

Discovery argues that the failure by Hillstrands to complete work has caused production on the show to remain uncompleted. The company says that the show would have earned significant ratings and that it has suffered substantial losses as a result.

The Hillstrands' lawyer likened the lawsuit to extortion, and said it might even force his clients to sell their boats and fire their crews. He also took aim at the network's well-paid top executive.

"The recent actions of Discovery Communications are an astonishing and shameful instance of arrogance and greed run amok," attorney Jeff Cohen said in a statement.

"While CEO David Zaslav reaps a $33.9 million bonanza in a single day in January 2010, his company attempts to bankrupt hardworking fishermen. Three million dollars is exponentially greater than any compensation ever paid to the 'Deadliest Catch' captains, and yet this is the figure Discovery is trying to extort from these men.

"Isn't there enough unemployment in America without forcing hard-working sea captains to declare bankruptcy, sell their boats and fire their crews?," he asked.

He also referenced the death earlier this year of Captain Phil Harris, which was chronicled by the show.

"Discovery is a multi-billion dollar corporation making hundreds of millions of dollars from broadcasting the dangerous exploits of our clients. In light of all the tragedy witnessed by Captain Sig (Hansen), Capt. John and Capt. Andy this year, why can't Discovery let these working men move on with their lives?"

Stacie
09-21-2010, 11:57 AM
That's what happens when you mess with seamen.

RoddyBukkake
09-21-2010, 12:16 PM
well that sucks Time bandit is the best crew left

Dex
09-21-2010, 12:29 PM
well that sucks Time bandit is the best crew left

Yep, and Jon and Andy seem like good guys. Would be pretty dick of DC to bankrupt their lives just for not putting two weeks of it on camera.

Sounds like a death knoll for this show.

Ginobilly
09-21-2010, 12:36 PM
Fuck the Discovery channel! All their shows are complete shit, except for Man vs Wild and Dirty Jobs. It's about the National Geographic Channel and their badass shows like Border Wars,etc.

DarkReign
09-21-2010, 12:39 PM
Sounds like a death knoll for this show.

Not trying to be a dick, seriously, but its "knell".

Death knell.

Ginobilly
09-21-2010, 01:09 PM
Can the stupid Discovery channel just give them a couple more thousand dollars to do those stupid interviews? That's chump change to those greedy bastards.

Dex
09-21-2010, 01:21 PM
Not trying to be a dick, seriously, but its "knell".

Death knell.

That would make more sense, now wouldn't it? :downspin:

DarkReign
09-21-2010, 02:53 PM
That would make more sense, now wouldn't it? :downspin:

Like I said, wasnt trying to be rude, but I am the type of person who would rather be told when using a word incorrectly than not told.

Last Comic Standing
09-21-2010, 03:15 PM
I don't watch deadliest catch I see enough crabs giving oral pleasure to my girlfriend.

Nathan Explosion
09-21-2010, 03:23 PM
Not to sound dickish (probably will anyway) but this seems like a simple contract issue. Mainly, the fisherman probably signed a contract and then backed out of the deal.

If that's the case, the only issue with the lawsuit is the money involved. Anything else is a sure fire win for DC.

Dex
09-21-2010, 03:45 PM
Like I said, wasnt trying to be rude, but I am the type of person who would rather be told when using a word incorrectly than not told.

Yeah, it's all good. Better to be corrected than to go the rest of my life talking about some hill of death.

EricB
09-21-2010, 05:32 PM
Not to sound dickish (probably will anyway) but this seems like a simple contract issue. Mainly, the fisherman probably signed a contract and then backed out of the deal.

If that's the case, the only issue with the lawsuit is the money involved. Anything else is a sure fire win for DC.

Yeah how dare DC want the people that sign a contract with them honor it.

Greedy Bastards!

PublicOption
09-26-2010, 06:28 PM
you know, free will and contracts really don't make since.

it would seem that in America you can't change your mind.

then why can we get divorces so easily.

ChuckD
09-26-2010, 06:51 PM
you know, free will and contracts really don't make since.

it would seem that in America you can't change your mind.

then why can we get divorces so easily.

Divorces aren't free, and neither is breaking a contract. No one is going to place Jonathan and Andy into indentured servitude, but when you break a contract, there is a price to pay. Stupid, too. Their ship will probably not be on DC anymore either, whenever their deal is up.