PDA

View Full Version : Do any of you give $ to people asking for $ at intersections?

Blake
09-21-2010, 12:58 PM
I saw a group of about 4 ladies with flourescent vests holding hands and praying before grabbing their buckets early this morning. It's also not uncommon now to see kids and parents on corners asking for handouts for their sports or other group activities.

If you give, how much do you give? It blows me away that people actually give.

The Reckoning
09-21-2010, 12:58 PM
:lol

if that happened in austin, they'd get ambushed by hobos

Ginobilly
09-21-2010, 01:06 PM
No, but I once gave a hobo an icy cold tall boy of budlight that I had bought at the Valero to watch the Spurs game. I had bought four, but then my girl gave shit after she saw them and told me I wasn't going to get up early in the morning to go to sea world if I drank all of them. So I was nice enough to give one away and did that poor white hobo a favor.:lol

CosmicCowboy
09-21-2010, 01:10 PM
My wife bought some of these granola type "fiber" cookies once that were just god awful. The more you chewed them the bigger they got and they just sucked all the moisture out of your mouth. One of those young bums with the "hungry, please help" signs tapped on my window and I gave them all to him.

mrsmaalox
09-21-2010, 01:13 PM
No, but I once gave a hobo an icy cold tall boy of budlight that I had bought at the Valero to watch the Spurs game. I had bought four, but then my girl gave shit after she saw them and told me I wasn't going to get up early in the morning to go to sea world if I drank all of them. So I was nice enough to give one away and did that poor white hobo a favor.:lol

LOL that guy must have thought you were an angel straight from heaven!

Dex
09-21-2010, 01:19 PM
As stated, Austin is rampant with panhandlers, and they don't get a dime from me. When I donate money to charity, I make sure it is going to a reputable and good cause. That's not to say that all panhandlers don't deserve any money, but some don't need it or don't use it responsibly, and I'm not going to gamble with charity money just to get a little karma buzz at the red light.

DisAsTerBot
09-21-2010, 01:35 PM
I keep a bag of rawhide bones in my car for hobo dogs. I can't stand seeing bums with dogs. If you can't feed yourself, you can't feed your dog.

rjv
09-21-2010, 01:55 PM
i do.

DisAsTerBot
09-21-2010, 02:38 PM
ask dok...he knocked out a homeless guy in the middle of the street for coming up to his car asking for money :lmao

no he didn't.

Soul_Patch
09-21-2010, 02:38 PM
My wife won tickets to the George Straight concert last year in Houston. We drove up there and stopped at the CVS near Reliant stadium. It was deadly hot outside and very humid. Guy was sitting near the CVS in a sliver of shade that looked like he was on his last leg and seen much better days. He didnt ask for anything when we walked by.

Inside i bought him 2 quarts of ice cold Dasani. A liter of sprite and 2 big bags of gardettos.

That guy lit up like a Christmas tree when i delivered the goods. Didnt say anything except a nod. Which was fine by me. I hope he is doin ok.

I dont normally give money, especially not when my sons in the car. But i will go out of my way for those who seem like they really need it.

xellos88330
09-21-2010, 02:44 PM
I do depending on if I am in a good mood or not. If they are there for a while I check to see if they are wearing different clothes every day and stuff like that.

baseline bum
09-21-2010, 03:45 PM
Nothing more priceless than the look of disappointment on the face of some dumbass kid and his fat panhandling mom when they ask "Do you want to help our church softball team?" and you give them a flat "No".

silverblk mystix
09-21-2010, 03:50 PM
I used to live in Hollywood and when I first arrived I musta been pretty naive because I would try to give something whenever I could.

After living there for awhile and having to be hit up by homeless people every single day in every single place I'd visit...

It changes you...from then on I would find myself saying shit like, ``get the fuck outta my face.''

I mean you could go in a restaurant, the homeless guy would follow you in and say shit like, ``say man, what the fuck is your problem--you got money why the fuck can't you help out?''

I kid you not...after having that shit happen over and over I would be real aggressive...and just tell them ...get a fuckin job and gtfo...

MannyIsGod
09-21-2010, 03:52 PM
I've bought enough god damn cookie dough over the years that I'm never giving to a kid on the street corner. Thats hobo territory. How would the kids like it if the Hobos came to sell cookies at their fucking schools?

Have some god damn respect.

SpursWoman
09-21-2010, 03:56 PM
My mom used to have her own catering business ... and for a while there was always this same guy at the highway intersection by her work with a sign about being hungry, to please help. So she fixed him a big bag of all kinds of great food to take to him and, being a complete prick, he told her that he didn't want it and couldn't she just give him some money.

So she told him to go fuck himself. :)

Even though I was was laughing at my mom for telling him to fuck off, that kind of turned me off about that kind thing. I rarely give money like that ... but I have.

MannyIsGod
09-21-2010, 04:00 PM
There are people who's job it is to beg and there are people who really could use a hand. Its hard to tell the two apart.

4>0rings
09-21-2010, 04:04 PM
The bums on the northside actually dress up. I saw one with shirt tucked in, kahki shorts, cut and gelled hair. Had a cell phone with a cover on it on the side of his belt with a sign asking for money. I've seen him more than once.

Shelly
09-21-2010, 04:08 PM
nope--and I don't give to the firemen with the boot looking for handouts. Get outta the fucking intersection already!

Besides, I never have cash anyway.

MannyIsGod
09-21-2010, 04:15 PM
Yeah no shit. Who actually carries cash now anyway? Let me know when the Bums get CC machines then I'll hook them up.

mrsmaalox
09-21-2010, 04:26 PM
I usually have loose change in my console so it depends on who is doing the begging. I will give to kids sports, simply cuz I hope the kids get to have a good experience. And I give to the firefighters cuz my brother is a firefighter and I know how they absolutely hate to have to do that. :)

The Reckoning
09-21-2010, 05:22 PM
Yeah no shit. Who actually carries cash now anyway? Let me know when the Bums get CC machines then I'll hook them up.

actually a bum did have a cc machine one time on him. i had to swipe my card. he was a traveling monk, actually, but it was a good idea.

Summers
09-21-2010, 09:07 PM
I don't mind scooping the loose change out of my console for the fire department or whatever, but I NEVER give money to panhandlers. It's impossible to know which ones are just scamming. If someone is really hungry, I tell him about the homeless shelter, which serves dinner every night from 5 to 6:30.

grindmouse
09-21-2010, 09:43 PM
There are so many of these guys asking for money everyday they stop making excuses, one day this girl needed money for diapers, the next day her boyfriend wanted money to get a 12 pack of sodas for his kids they just bought a little Caesar pizza with no drinks. They finally realized I live close by and stop making up cheesy stories when they see me now.

the ones at the corner gas station are so drugged up on heroin they forget i gave them a dollar on the way into the store and ask for another dollar on my way out.

One guy has a wheelchair and goes up to people when they are pumping gas. I have seen him walk before without the wheelchair. I wonder why Hagi the store clerk does not run them off, its so bad i avoid that store altogether now.

Its getting to the point i may have to start wearing one of these....

http://www.coindispenser.com/mc75.jpg

oh crap
09-21-2010, 10:09 PM
fuck no i don't and when possible, i try to make habit of not riding with others who regularly do either. fuck em. they're not getting my hard earned money.

benefactor
09-22-2010, 06:46 AM
I had to educate my wife about this right after we got married(she is from a small town in central TX and didn't have much experience with moochers). She gave some one a few bucks in Walmart parking lot. I told her that person probably smoked that few bucks away and that most of the Walmart moochers are on crack.

There is a guy who stands on the same street corner almost every day right down the street from my house with a "will work for food" sign. I've never given him anything, but my wife went through the drive thru and picked him up a hamburger and took it back to him.

ChuckD
09-22-2010, 07:25 AM
FYI: most of the moochers make high 5 figures to low 6 figures, annually.

Tits McGee
09-22-2010, 07:46 AM
Can't afford to. Friends and family suck me dry!

bus driver
09-22-2010, 08:17 AM
.... but my wife went through the drive thru and picked him up a hamburger and took it back to him.

shoot my girl doesnt even do that for me.......anyways i can find better things to do with my money than to give it away

J.T.
09-22-2010, 08:27 AM
If you live in Austin and don't call the hobos "Intimidatasaurus Rex" then you might as well turn in your dick, and if you don't know where that term comes from you might as well turn in your balls while you're there too.

rjv
09-22-2010, 09:21 AM
but what would half of the posters on this thread do if i didn't spot them a buck or two now and then ?

RandomGuy
09-22-2010, 09:41 AM
No, I do not.

Aside from the fact that I rarely carry cash, I know that most of the really "needy" people there... aren't.

I might give some to the firefighters' "fill the boot" campaign or something similar.

I donate what I can to legitimate charities, and will probably raise that contribution a little this year.

desflood
09-22-2010, 09:51 AM
I always give to the firefighters, never to anybody else.

to21
09-22-2010, 11:01 AM
Now you have gas stations asking for $ when you check out. It's a legit charity but still get's on my nerves when the guy at my Valero knows me well enough to know that I already gave the day before.

Trainwreck2100
09-22-2010, 11:41 AM
Now you have gas stations asking for $ when you check out. It's a legit charity but still get's on my nerves when the guy at my Valero knows me well enough to know that I already gave the day before.

not really their fault, the company makes them ask everyone

ploto
09-22-2010, 11:43 AM
I worked in DT Houston long enough that I am pretty good at seeing those who really are in need. I was raised to believe that "there but for the grace of God go I" and so I will give. I do it for sincere reasons, and I figure they will have to answer for what they do with it.

I do not give to churches or other unknown charities asking for money. They are healthy and can raise it. Same with kids- I am bothered by parents who have their kids begging for money at the corner for a sports team. Have a car wash- a bake sale- rake leaves- do something to raise the money.

jack sommerset
09-22-2010, 11:46 AM
I always give to the firefighters, never to anybody else.

Me too. Atleast I know they are legit.

blkroadrunners
09-22-2010, 11:48 AM
It's worse when they ask for money at self car washing services.

baseline bum
09-22-2010, 03:21 PM
My favorite is when you see someone panhandling with a 12-pack of Bud Light stashed behind him. One got pissed when I asked him "what the fuck? you need a 30-pack now?" when he hit me up for change.

man on wire
09-22-2010, 03:24 PM
I'm always broke so I don't give.