PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Football

san antonio spurs
09-21-2010, 09:14 PM
I don't play fantasy football so maybe I don't understand the passion and dedication behind it. But I have a question, it seems like this season all you guys do is talk about your fantasy teams way more than in years past.
Does Fantasy football make your NFL experience better or it just became something you obsess about, and somehow became an out of control addiction?

MavDynasty
09-21-2010, 09:18 PM
tbh it's both. Fantasy really makes you root for teams that you otherwise wouldn't give a shit about (for example, frank gore and th 49ers) It is also pretty addicting imo. You draft players and you choose who to play every week and you actually get results. Pretty entertaining IMHO

san antonio spurs
09-21-2010, 09:25 PM
tbh it's both. Fantasy really makes you root for teams that you otherwise wouldn't give a shit about (for example, frank gore and th 49ers) It is also pretty addicting imo. You draft players and you choose who to play every week and you actually get results. Pretty entertaining IMHO

I understand that. But I think most of the time we have teams we're likely to root for and others we'd like to see lose.
How do you cope with that with Fantasy football?

MavDynasty
09-21-2010, 09:27 PM
I understand that. But I think most of the time we have teams we're likely to root for and others we'd like to see lose.
How do you cope with that with Fantasy football?

Easy. You hope that your player kicks ass but that team still lose. I want AP to rush for 150+ yards and 3 TD's while the Vikings still lose. That would be the perfect scenario.

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-21-2010, 09:33 PM
It's a great game, I find it entertaining, like the most realistic kind of video game sort of. And your knowledge of the NFL will expand, since in order to win in fantasy football you have to know the progress and status of your players and opponents' players.

san antonio spurs
09-21-2010, 09:35 PM
Easy. You hope that your player kicks ass but that team still lose. I want AP to rush for 150+ yards and 3 TD's while the Vikings still lose. That would be the perfect scenario.

If you're a cowboy fan, can you draft Eli? Can you realistically root for him to have an MVP type of season and think his team might still lose?

san antonio spurs
09-21-2010, 09:36 PM
It's a great game, I find it entertaining, like the most realistic kind of video game sort of. And your knowledge of the NFL will expand, since in order to win in fantasy football you have to know the progress and status of your players and opponents' players.

Actually I find most Fantasy players to be only statistics geeks and have a low football IQ.

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-21-2010, 09:50 PM
Actually I find most Fantasy players to be only statistics geeks and have a low football IQ.

I'm pretty sure fantasy football doesn't force your IQ to drop. There's no harm in learning a few more stats.

san antonio spurs
09-21-2010, 09:54 PM
I'm pretty sure fantasy football doesn't force your IQ to drop. There's no harm in learning a few more stats.

I was talking about the casual fantasy player.

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-21-2010, 10:07 PM
I was talking about the casual fantasy player.

Well I don't see any downside to it. If you consider your NFL IQ to be normal or above average, I think it'll be more fun. You can win by showing your initial smarts of the game.

Blake
09-21-2010, 10:11 PM

there it is...

why did it take you this long to say what you really think

:lol

san antonio spurs
09-21-2010, 10:41 PM
there it is...

why did it take you this long to say what you really think

:lol

:lol tbh that was not my initial intent.

san antonio spurs
09-21-2010, 10:50 PM
Well I don't see any downside to it. If you consider your NFL IQ to be normal or above average, I think it'll be more fun. You can win by showing your initial smarts of the game.

You have a very good point.
Now if you have a normal or above average NFL IQ and constantly watch the games thinking about fantasy points, can you still watch the games objectively? Wouldn't that bring somehow your NFL IQ down a bit?
For example, you have Player A (a QB). His team is winning,...ahead by a TD in the 4th (below the 5min mark). Don't you think most fantasy players would still want that QB to air it out instead of killing the clock? Honest answer

MavDynasty
09-21-2010, 10:57 PM
Now if you have a normal or above average NFL IQ and constantly watch the games thinking about fantasy points, can you still watch the games objectively? Wouldn't that bring somehow your NFL IQ down a bit?
For example, you have Player A (a QB). His team is winning,...ahead by a TD in the 4th (below the 5min mark). Don't you think most fantasy players would still want that QB to air it out instead of killing the clock? Honest answer

Yes you would but at that point real life kicks in and replaces Fantasy unless you are that addicted.

Dave Mustaine
09-21-2010, 11:00 PM
If you're a cowboy fan, can you draft Eli? Can you realistically root for him to have an MVP type of season and think his team might still lose?

That's where I draw the line when it comes to fantasy tbh. If my opponent has Reggie Wayne and he needs 10 points to beat me for the week, I'm not gonna root against Wayne to suck ass for the game irl.

Dave Mustaine
09-21-2010, 11:01 PM

hardcore fantasy players anyway. I know someone who stares at his laptop with espn gamecast popped up instead of enjoy games on TV.

J.T.
09-21-2010, 11:01 PM
tbh you really have to play ff to understand how it affects your fan experience. this week i played against the guy who had peyton manning which put me in the awkward position of rooting for the colts to win with their ground game, which they kind of did but peyton still threw for 3 tds. one was to collie whos on my team so i didn't really care. but it would have been nice if joseph addai and donald brown had just combined for 300 yards and 4 tds and they gave it to collie on an end-around and thats how he scored.

Dave Mustaine
09-21-2010, 11:02 PM
>white guy
>fast enough to score on an end around

J.T.
09-21-2010, 11:06 PM
i do it to people in madden every day

most of the time with garcon tho

san antonio spurs
09-21-2010, 11:16 PM
Yes you would but at that point real life kicks in and replaces Fantasy unless you are that addicted.
The comments I see on this board make me think that Fantasy Football is really that addicting

san antonio spurs
09-21-2010, 11:19 PM
tbh you really have to play ff to understand how it affects your fan experience. this week i played against the guy who had peyton manning which put me in the awkward position of rooting for the colts to win with their ground game, which they kind of did but peyton still threw for 3 tds. one was to collie whos on my team so i didn't really care. but it would have been nice if joseph addai and donald brown had just combined for 300 yards and 4 tds and they gave it to collie on an end-around and thats how he scored.

I think I'm a bit late for this year so I might try it next year. So how does it affect your fan experience? do you have Brady on some of your teams? have you ever drafted him? Or Rivers?

Dave Mustaine
09-21-2010, 11:21 PM
I thought about drafting Rivers since Peyton and Brees were gone. It was between him and Rodgers, most pre draft rankings had the 2 one after the other. I went with Rodgers since he is THAT nigga tho.

san antonio spurs
09-21-2010, 11:26 PM
I thought about drafting Rivers since Peyton and Brees were gone. It was between him and Rodgers, most pre draft rankings had the 2 one after the other. I went with Rodgers since he is THAT nigga tho.

I think you've been playing fantasy for quite some time now and find it hard to believe you've never had the opportunity to draft Brady or Rivers except for that one time.
But honestly I can't picture my self drafting players that play on rivals. That's why I think I would suck on that game, and probably why I never tried it.

Dave Mustaine
09-21-2010, 11:31 PM
well tbh, this is only my 3rd year playing and the first year I missed the draft so it auto picked for me. This year me and some bros did an in person draft, which is a lot of fun and then plug the players on our teams afterwards. I consciously picked quality players on non rival teams. The only player that plays for a "rival" is MJD, but he's one of my favorite players anyway.

Blake
09-21-2010, 11:38 PM
This year me and some bros did an in person

other than collecting the winnings at the end of the year (to which there are always at least 2-3 assholes that havent paid up yet), the live draft party is the best part.

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-21-2010, 11:49 PM

As said already, that's where real life comes in. If he keeps on trying, then good for your fantasy team. If not, fuck it, it's just a game.

san antonio spurs
09-21-2010, 11:50 PM
well tbh, this is only my 3rd year playing and the first year I missed the draft so it auto picked for me. This year me and some bros did an in person draft, which is a lot of fun and then plug the players on our teams afterwards. I consciously picked quality players on non rival teams. The only player that plays for a "rival" is MJD, but he's one of my favorite players anyway.

I think that if I ever played, that's how I would proceed

Blake
09-21-2010, 11:56 PM
I think that if I ever played, that's how I would proceed

the best is 1st year player die hard Cowboy fan that picks Austin, Romo, Witten, Barber, Cowboys D, Dez, and Jerry.

They are done by week 7 or 8.

J.T.
09-21-2010, 11:58 PM
I think I'm a bit late for this year so I might try it next year. So how does it affect your fan experience? do you have Brady on some of your teams? have you ever drafted him? Or Rivers?

i had brady last year and won that league

i had rivers in 08 and came in close to last place but thats because i had both of my rbs and my best wr get hurt. injuries can derail your fantasy team about as quick as a bad draft choice in rounds 1-5.

i had manning in 07 and won that league, but i had to trade for him. clinton portis and lee evans for manning. although i also had randy moss (23 tds that year) so i didnt really need another wr to do much for me. also had adrian peterson. with those 3 all i really needed was for everyone else to score at least 4 points and i'd win any week.

you absolutely HAVE to leave your fanhood at the door when you login to your fantasy site. you'll never win by either drafting a shitload of people on the team you root for or not drafting people because they play for rivals.

J.T.
09-22-2010, 12:02 AM
the best is 1st year player die hard Cowboy fan that picks Austin, Romo, Witten, Barber, Cowboys D, Dez, and Jerry.

They are done by week 7 or 8.

my favorite matchup is against "guy who started 0-5 and quit setting his roster and has 6 guys on a bye week starting that week"

san antonio spurs
09-22-2010, 12:09 AM

i had rivers in 08 and came in close to last place but thats because i had both of my rbs and my best wr get hurt. injuries can derail your fantasy team about as quick as a bad draft choice in rounds 1-5.

i had manning in 07 and won that league, but i had to trade for him. clinton portis and lee evans for manning. although i also had randy moss (23 tds that year) so i didnt really need another wr to do much for me. also had adrian peterson. with those 3 all i really needed was for everyone else to score at least 4 points and i'd win any week.

you absolutely HAVE to leave your fanhood at the door when you login to your fantasy site. you'll never win by either drafting a shitload of people on the team you root for or not drafting people because they play for rivals.

I guess you are a FF hardcore then. Because if it's for entertainment purposes only, there is a line you must draw.

Btw, I thought that Mustaine guy was your troll:lol

LOL texans
09-22-2010, 12:09 AM

I've actually never won a league with with Manning as my QB. Hopefully that changes this year with Manning, Gore, Best, DeSean, Welker, Nicks and Clark.:tu

I won in 07 with Brady(who didn't) and 06 with Romo.

Blake
09-22-2010, 12:17 AM
I've had Manning plenty of years and have won or at least made money every time.

Most guys I know are hard core RB-RB in the 1st two rounds.

I like to draft at the end of the 1st round and will trade down to do it so that I can get a #1 QB and a #1 WR.

I've rarely ever seen anyone in the title games without an elite QB.

J.T.
09-22-2010, 01:53 AM
Manning will probably get you enough wins to make the playoffs in your league if you don't fuck up drafting other positions but its ridiculous how he comes off the board within the first 8 picks now. Seems like every year the league I'm in has some faggot first timer who pulls shit like taking Manning in round 1. I probably wouldn't take Manning in the 1st round unless I had like the 12th pick and was picking again in 4 turns anyway.

LOL texans
09-22-2010, 10:13 AM
I've had Manning plenty of years and have won or at least made money every time.

Most guys I know are hard core RB-RB in the 1st two rounds.

I like to draft at the end of the 1st round and will trade down to do it so that I can get a #1 QB and a #1 WR.

I've rarely ever seen anyone in the title games without an elite QB.

FF has evolved in recent years. There are only about 3-5 RBs that are truly worth taking in the first round. FF is pretty much QB and WR driven now. While most guys are wasting picks in the first two rounds (with a RB-RB strategy) on lets say Ryan matthews and Shonn green, and ending up with Dwayne Bowe I'm taking Frank Gore and Peyton Manning, or Andre Johnson and Miles Austin, then addressing my RB situation with guys like Lesean Mcoy, Matt Forte, Jahvid Best, Knowshon, Arian Foster, Jamal Charles, Ced Benson

J.T.
09-22-2010, 10:21 AM
i went rb-rb in rounds 1 and 2 with ryan grant and steven jackson

lol your first round pick going on ir after week 1 :drunk

if vick remains the eagles starter i'm prob going to try to trade favre when sidney rice comes back and he starts putting up better stats

J.T.
09-22-2010, 10:33 AM
oh and 8 of the top 11 ff scorers so far are rbs...

the other 3 are peyton manning, hakeem nicks and antonio gates

Blake
09-22-2010, 11:18 AM
FF has evolved in recent years. There are only about 3-5 RBs that are truly worth taking in the first round. FF is pretty much QB and WR driven now. While most guys are wasting picks in the first two rounds (with a RB-RB strategy) on lets say Ryan matthews and Shonn green, and ending up with Dwayne Bowe I'm taking Frank Gore and Peyton Manning, or Andre Johnson and Miles Austin, then addressing my RB situation with guys like Lesean Mcoy, Matt Forte, Jahvid Best, Knowshon, Arian Foster, Jamal Charles, Ced Benson

that's pretty much how my ST draft went.

I had the 9 spot.

1. Manning 2. Wayne 3. Boldin 4. Arian 5. Ronnie Brown 6. Jets D.

I had a rough week, but I'll be in the playoffs if everyone stays healthy.

LOL texans
09-22-2010, 12:13 PM
that's pretty much how my ST draft went.

I had the 9 spot.

1. Manning 2. Wayne 3. Boldin 4. Arian 5. Ronnie Brown 6. Jets D.

I had a rough week, but I'll be in the playoffs if everyone stays healthy.

yeah, RB value can be found in later rounds now a days.

balli
09-22-2010, 03:05 PM
In regards to the OP, three subjective points:

1. I am in the minority on this board in that I do not support or root for any one NFL franchise. I love the NFl, I love the sport, but I live in Utah. (A lot of people here root for Denver, but I don't as I consider Denver a city that equates to eastern Nebraska that tries to pimp itself as being in central Colorado.) As I don't support any team I have no vested interest in any team's success or well-being. Any given week I could favor any number of teams, before favoring different teams a week later.

2. As I don't have a vested interest in any team, it stands to reason that I do have an interest in the fantasy team that I have drafted. The games and the NFL are far more compelling for me when I am able to focus on the individual performance of the players who comprise my team. It's not that I wouldn't watch and enjoy the NFL otherwise, but fantasy gives me an outlet to pour my desire and passion into, in a way that I otherwise wouldn't be able to muster if it weren't for the fact that my personal interests were on the line.

Summation: I don't think fantasy is an addiction at all (in my case) but merely the best possible way I can experience the sensation of 'rooting' for a player or result. If it weren't for fantasy, the results of NFL football would be a somewhat inconsequential to me. Hence, I enjoy fantasy immensely.

JT's grandma
09-22-2010, 10:27 PM
oh and 8 of the top 11 ff scorers so far are rbs...

the other 3 are peyton manning, hakeem nicks and antonio gates

What did your mother tell you about talking to strangers?

MavDynasty
09-22-2010, 10:29 PM

imho the RB position has so much depth that you can still get a nice quality RB in the 6th round.

J.T.
09-24-2010, 02:47 AM
What did your mother tell you about talking to strangers?

wow grammy you finally learned how to use the computer i got you for christmas in 2001. you must finally be off your meds.

MannyIsGod
09-24-2010, 10:09 AM
I had to do an autodraft this year and I ended up with Jason Witten as a result. As a Skins fan I can't fucking play this guy because I'd feel dirty. Never had a cowboy player on my team before. So fantasy football doesn't totally impede on my fandom.

Thankfully this year I also drafted Cooley so Witten will hopefully play no weeks and at most one.