PDA

View Full Version : UFC 122: Marquardt vs. Okami November 13, 2010 Free on Spike

desflood
09-22-2010, 10:04 AM
Nate Marquardt steps in for injured Vitor Belfort against Yushin Okami.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/9/21/1703314/vitor-belfort-injured-nate

Stringer_Bell
09-22-2010, 10:33 AM
This sucks, I remember reading something about UFC 122 being Dana's "payback" to the fans because 1) Vitor was on the card and 2) If Silva still had the belt, fans would know Vitor is the real deal and ready to fight him. He hasn't had a chance to fight at MW and I was excited to see him go up against a well-rounded, strong chin like Okami.

Nothing against Nate, but the finish on the last fight left me feeling like it needed a re-match. I wonder if Chael's situation has anything to do with this turn of events...

dbreiden83080
09-22-2010, 11:15 AM
Vitor might be getting the shot Chael was gonna get..

dbreiden83080
09-22-2010, 12:57 PM
With the writing plastered all over Chael Sonnen’s wall, Dana White and Co. have confirmed they are moving ahead with ‘Plan B,’ which also happens to be their plan for the UFC middleweight division from the beginning.

“Vitor is not injured. He is going to fight anderson for the title and the winner of marquart and okami are next,” White tweeted moments ago.

Everything started back at UFC 103 when Vitor Belfort knocked out former champ Rich Franklin in their 195-pound catchweight bout, securing a future title shot against reigning king Anderson Silva.

That, coupled with Sonnen’s dominating victory over former No. 1 contender Nate Marquardt at UFC 109, allowed Belfort to get the nod at UFC 112 in Abu Dhabi.

Unfortunately a shoulder injury kept “The Phenom” from meeting the April 10th date, which opened the door for Demian Maia to fill in for what was one of the strangest championship bouts in Octagon history.

Fast forward past Sonnen’s remarkable UFC 117 performance, being granted an immediate rematch against the world’s best 185-pounder and his subsequent failed drug test, Belfort and the UFC now find themselves right back where they started.

The wheels began turning yesterday when news broke that Belfort would be replaced by Marquardt in the main event at UFC 122 against Yushin Okami. That bout will now determine who gets next dibs.

Silva has been recovering from a pre-UFC 117 rib injury. It is believed he will return to action in early 2011, most likely on Super Bowl weekend in Las Vegas, Nevada.

After a whirlwind week, Sonnen now finds himself as the odd man out with a hearing with the California State Athletic Commission scheduled for December 2nd. The 33-year-old is facing a year-long suspension and 2,500 fine for his failed drug test.

http://www.5thround.com/52833/ufc-president-dana-white-vitor-belfort-is-going-to-fight-anderson-silva-for-the-title/

ace3g
09-22-2010, 01:14 PM
sounds like someone got word that Vitor wasn't going to fight at UFC 122 and just assumed (because of his injury history) that he was injured; was kind of weird the original article only mentioned he was injured not the actual injury itself: shoulder, leg, etc

MMA Fans finally get the fight they have wanted to see for a long time: Vitor vs Silva for the Title!!!

Stringer_Bell
09-22-2010, 02:53 PM
MMA Fans finally get the fight they have wanted to see for a long time: Vitor vs Silva for the Title!!!

It was easier to assume it was an injury than think Dana would promote Vitor considering that Vitor has not fought at MW nor any other title contenders, his last KO win against Franklin looked like a freak clipping, and Sonnen absolutely dominated Silva and all the hype surrounding a rematch was crushed very recently...yea, I guess it's a cool fight but I think MMA fans are still going to question whether Vitor "earned" the shot or deserves to be there since the match-up is basically surgical striker vs power striker. It's basically the plan Dana had from the start if Chael hasn't interrupted...

Dana still owes the fans for UFC 112.

ace3g
09-22-2010, 03:35 PM
Vitor was already suppose to fight Silva twice before (both Silva and Vitor had injuries)

ace3g
09-22-2010, 07:22 PM
got bored in photoshop so I updated the UFC 122 poster

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/548022/ndvuzb_medium.jpg

to

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/2999/ufc122copy2.jpg

Stringer_Bell
09-22-2010, 11:42 PM
Pretty awesome there, Ace. :tu

dbreiden83080
09-23-2010, 12:03 AM
got bored in photoshop so I updated the UFC 122 poster

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/548022/ndvuzb_medium.jpg

to

Fuckin Sweet baby!!:toast

CubanSucks
09-23-2010, 02:53 PM
That's a fun looking fight but they better fill up the rest really well cause the card looks like a dud so far. No matter considering 121 and 123 look AMAZING

ace3g
10-16-2010, 10:41 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/32/UFC_122_Poster.jpg

I guess Dana liked my poster edit, lol

dbreiden83080
10-29-2010, 10:26 PM
We'll just use this thread for the event that Dessie started..

Ace they really did steal you're poster.. :lol

Main card
Middleweight bout: Nate Marquardt vs. Yushin Okami
Middleweight bout: Jorge Rivera vs. Alessio Sakara
Lightweight bout: Dennis Siver vs. Andre Winner
Welterweight bout: Amir Sadollah vs. Peter Sobotta
Light Heavyweight bout: Krzysztof Soszynski vs. Goran Reljic

Preliminary card
Middleweight bout: Kyle Noke vs. Rob Kimmons
Light Heavyweight bout: Vladimir Matyushenko vs. Alexandre Ferreira
Welterweight bout: Pascal Krauss vs. Mark Scanlon
Welterweight bout: Duane Ludwig vs. Nick Osipczak
Light Heavyweight bout: Seth Petruzelli vs. Karlos Vemola
Welterweight bout: Kris McCray vs. Carlos Eduardo Rocha

dbreiden83080
10-29-2010, 10:32 PM
Pxw_lyXjSgg

dbreiden83080
11-03-2010, 10:51 AM
MANILA, Philippines — As Manny Pacquiao takes on Mexico’s Antonio Margarito on November 13 (14, in Manila) in Texas, two mixed martial arts (MMA) fighters will battle it out in Germany on the very same day for a shot at the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) middleweight title.

Fighters Nate Marquardt and Yushin Okami will headline UFC 122, which will be held at the König Pilsener Arena in Oberhausen.

“(We have) a headliner fight featuring two of the very best middleweight contenders in the world. The victor of this fight will definitely take a shot at the title,” UFC commentator Joe Rogan said in UFC.com’s preview video for the event.

The reigning middleweight champion is MMA's pound-for-pound king Anderson Silva.

For both Marquardt and Okami, the title shot is something they have prepared to win over.

“I'm taking this fight super seriously. And mentally, I'm right there,” 31-year-old Marquardt said.

The American fighter has a 33-9-2 record in the UFC including 4 knockout (KO) wins in his last 5 fights. He last defeated Brazilian Rousimar Palhares in UFC Fight Night last September.

Meanwhile, Okami said that he’s as well “just thinking of becoming the UFC middleweight champion.”

The Japanese bruiser said beating Marquardt is his key to get that title shot.

“I'll prove that I'm one of the top fighters of the UFC,” the 29-year-old Japanese MMA fighter said.

Okami holds a 26-5-0 record with 2 KO wins since 2008. He is coming off a win over Brazilian Lucio Linhares via technical knockout in UFC Fight Night last March.

“The timing of (UFC 122) is perfect. I won my last 2 fights and now I face Nate Marquardt. After I get this win, I'll be the next challenger for the middleweight championship,” he added.

Okami was supposed to battle Brazilian Vitor Belfort for this weekend’s match, but the latter pulled out from the fight to face Silva.

Rogan expects an unforgettable match between Marquardt and Okami.

“Marquardt has big power, knockout one-punch power, and both his punches and his kicks,” he said.

As for the 6’2” Okami, Rogen noted that the MMA artist “is very, very clean with his technique.”

“Okami is excellent at controlling fights and forcing a fight that'll fight his fight, stuffing takedown, staying on top, ground and pounding and utilizing very strong defensive grappling and very strong positioning,” he said.

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/sports/11/03/10/marquardt-takes-okami-ufc-122

desflood
11-08-2010, 04:01 PM
Main card

Preliminary card

Middleweight bout: Kyle Noke vs. Rob Kimmons
Light Heavyweight bout: Vladimir Matyushenko vs. Alexandre Ferreira
Welterweight bout: Pascal Krauss vs. Mark Scanlon
Welterweight bout: Duane Ludwig vs. Nick Osipczak
Welterweight bout: Kris McCray vs. Carlos Eduardo Rocha

Marquardt/Okami is giving me fits.

Rip-Hamilton32
11-08-2010, 04:05 PM
Nate
Sakara
Amir
Winner
Krzysztof

cornbread
11-08-2010, 06:38 PM
Marquadt
Rivera
Amir
Winner
Matyushenko

Stringer_Bell
11-08-2010, 07:09 PM

Prelim
- Seth is prone to submissions and getting off gameplan when confronted with them, but this is his last shot at staying in the big show and I think Lawlor's win inspired the team to work that much harder.

ace3g
11-10-2010, 07:09 PM
My Predictions

MAIN CARD

* Nate Marquardt vs. Yushin Okami
* Jorge Rivera vs. Alessio Sakara
* Dennis Siver vs. Andre Winner
* Amir Sadollah vs. Peter Sobotta
* Krzysztof Soszynski vs. Goran Reljic

dbreiden83080
11-13-2010, 12:38 PM
Main card

Lightweight bout: Dennis Siver vs. Andre WinnerWelterweight bout: Amir Sadollah vs. Peter Sobotta

Some good fights here. Nate should win in a tough fight maybe by decision. Some of these others are tough calls..

dbreiden83080
11-13-2010, 12:39 PM
My Predictions

MAIN CARD

PRELIMINARY CARD (un-aired)

* Rob Kimmons vs. Kyle Noke
* Alexandre "Cacareco" Ferreira vs. Vladimir Matyushenko
* Pascal Krauss vs. Mark Scanlon
* Duane "Bang" Ludwig vs. Nick Osipczak
* Seth Petruzelli vs. Karlos Vemola
* Kris McCray vs. Carlos Eduardo Rocha

Ace do me a favor tell me what 5 you wanna pick for the tally??

That's what we have always done..

polandprzem
11-13-2010, 01:45 PM
MAIN CARD

dbreiden83080
11-13-2010, 01:58 PM
MAIN CARD

Pick just the main card you wussy.. :lol

polandprzem
11-13-2010, 04:09 PM
Pick just the main card you wussy.. :lol

Stop !

Do not mess with me cause I can tell you the results now :)

polandprzem
11-13-2010, 05:45 PM
ahh damn :pctoss

good bye

ace3g
11-13-2010, 09:05 PM
http://mmafans.net/pages/chat/ if you want to chat

The TroutBum
11-14-2010, 03:29 AM
Wow, what a shitty event. I would've gone 0-5 if I had remembered to pick.

THANKS FOR THE FREEBIE, DANA!!!!

CubanSucks
11-14-2010, 04:29 AM
I was rooting for Marquardt hardcore and he absolutely blew it. What the fuch was he doing?! Did he forget there were only 3 rounds cause he sure wasn't trying to win a 15 minute fight. Every time he decided to throw something it was crisp and raw. So what does he do? PACE AROUND AND WAIST TIME WHEN IT WAS OBVIOUS HE WAS LOSING THE FUCKING FIGHT! It was one of those legitimately confusing WTF fights; reminded me of Houston Alexander vs Kimbo. FuCK YOU MARQUARTD

The only interesting thing this card was the commercials for UFC 123. I'm never drinking while watching a event again. Every fucking main event that I order or watch for free has let me down

dbreiden83080
11-14-2010, 01:56 PM
Dissapointing night of fights.. Nate might have seen his last title shot chance go out the window..

Problem Nate has is he's really good at about 4 or 5 things but not great at any of them..

Good striking
Good wrestling
Good JJ
Good athlete
Good condition etc..

But he is not gonna dominate the elite with anything. Sonnen really manhandled him and Nate had no answers until late in the 3rd when he finally got going. Okami is a good fighter but he has enough holes in his striking game that Nate should have been able to hurt him and he never did.. Silva will knock him out because he doesn't have the wrestling chops to get it down over and over.. Nate is really good.. He's just not great

MannyIsGod
11-14-2010, 05:23 PM
There are basically one or two good cards followed by what seems like months of bad cards.

dbreiden83080
11-14-2010, 10:47 PM
There are basically one or two good cards followed by what seems like months of bad cards.

UFC 121 was pretty good..

UFC 123 has 2 good fights

UFC 124 is a bad card other than the GSP/Kos fight.

This is it

Main card
Welterweight Championship bout: Georges St-Pierre (c) vs. Josh Koscheck[
Heavyweight bout: Stefan Struve vs. Sean McCorkle
Lightweight bout: Jim Miller vs. Charles Oliveira
Lightweight bout: Joe Stevenson vs. Mac Danzig
Welterweight bout: Thiago Alves vs. John Howard

I was very dissapointed to see the rest of this card when it came official. It's clear the UFC is just gonna bank on GSP's star power to make a ton of money off this event in Canada but this one won't sell that big in the US with the rest of the card being so

Bleh...

polandprzem
11-15-2010, 11:53 AM
UFC 121 was pretty good..

UFC 123 has 2 good fights

UFC 124 is a bad card other than the GSP/Kos fight.

This is it

Main card
Welterweight Championship bout: Georges St-Pierre (c) vs. Josh Koscheck[
Heavyweight bout: Stefan Struve vs. Sean McCorkle
Lightweight bout: Jim Miller vs. Charles Oliveira
Lightweight bout: Joe Stevenson vs. Mac Danzig
Welterweight bout: Thiago Alves vs. John Howard

I was very dissapointed to see the rest of this card when it came official. It's clear the UFC is just gonna bank on GSP's star power to make a ton of money off this event in Canada but this one won't sell that big in the US with the rest of the card being so

Bleh...

I can bet you that this will be a great card.
So many interesting matchups it's gonna be sick imo