PDA

View Full Version : Sons, Caron Butler is ready to jizz on your team this season

Lukor
09-22-2010, 01:11 PM
Caron Butler announces big intentions
September, 22, 2010
SEP 22
12:44
PM CT
EmailPrintComments
By Jeff Caplan
Say this for Dallas Mavericks small forward/shooting guard Caron Butler: He's not afraid of expectations.

In fact, on Wednesday, Butler's publicity team at Swanson Communications made it official: Butler is expecting to have a big, big season.

"I have been talking to my teammates and coach [Rick] Carlisle about what this group of players can achieve. As a team we have a lot of expectations for what we can accomplish this year," Butler said in a press release. "Maybe losing in the early round last year is what we needed as a team. Now I sense hunger from everyone to get it done this season. We are all looking forward to training camp, getting in a team rhythm and doing some big things this year."

As has been noted here several times this summer, Butler made it a priority to drop weight and get stronger and quicker. He spent the last month working with conditioning guru Tim Grover in Chicago. Butler is back in Dallas and preparing for the start of training camp on Tuesday at SMU. The team will hold its Media Day on Monday at the American Airlines Center.

"I've been focusing on my core this off-season," Butler said in a press release. "My legs are stronger. I feel like I'm more agile, and I have a lot more flexibility in my hips. I've lost 10 pounds and I am down to 225. That's where I wanted to be and where the coaching staff wanted me. ... Since being in Chicago with Grover, my explosiveness is back, and I feel better than ever. He tapped into what I needed. He's made my game better. Last year, I was settling for jump shots. Now I want to be more aggressive and execute a variety of looks from the court both on the attack and on defense."

Music to the Mavs' ears.

"With this team that we have in place, I want to win it all," Butler said. "We definitely want to finish in the top three in the West. That's a very realistic goal. We want homecourt [advantage] heading into the playoffs. To have an opportunity in this conference, you want that. Then once you're in the playoffs anything can happen, and I believe we can make a run to the top."

Of course, we'll see if Butler is around long enough to see those goals through. His expiring, $10.8 million contract will be attractive at the trade deadline, when Butler was acquired last season. Mavs owner Mark Cuban has made it no secret that the club will continue to seek a second superstar to pair with the Dirk Nowitzki.

If a deal pops up, Butler could very well be a part of the trade. But, until that happens, at least the Mavs know they have a player who's ready to roll in a big, big year.

Giuseppe
09-22-2010, 01:20 PM
His ego is writing checks his body can't cash.

tee, hee.

PGDynasty24
09-22-2010, 01:24 PM
Caron said it best,Settling for too many jumpshots. He needs to attack the rim more and use his size and athleticism

lefty
09-22-2010, 01:31 PM
Caron couldn't even jizz on Jefferson during last year's playoffs

That's weak

Lukor
09-22-2010, 01:34 PM

That's weak

I'm sure RJ would've liked that though.

lefty
09-22-2010, 01:35 PM
I'm sure RJ would've liked that though.
Not sure if Luke Walton would have approved

Giuseppe
09-22-2010, 01:54 PM

That's weak

Yep, and like Carter in Orlando, it was Butler's last legitimate chance.

Hornets1
09-22-2010, 02:06 PM
Butler is one of my favs and I hope he does better next year.

Just not against the hornets.

He still has the ability, thats for sure

badfish22
09-22-2010, 02:15 PM

That's weak

It couldn't reach him from the bench tbh

Rummpd
09-22-2010, 02:24 PM
I do not completely rule out the Mavs making one final serious run as they are a talented team, but they should talk less and just get it done for once.

badfish22
09-22-2010, 02:30 PM
I do not completely rule out the Mavs making one final serious run as they are a talented team, but they should talk less and just get it done for once.

+1 they should cancel all press conferences from now until they win a championship.

Rogue
09-22-2010, 03:22 PM
I used to think Ol' Cubby actually knew a thing or two about the game behind all those tee hee's and controllinao's, but some of his latest takes are pretty suspect tbh. IMHO nothing that has happened should have given such an impression that Caron was surely done.

DPG21920
09-22-2010, 03:25 PM
I really have always liked Caron and his game. I was pissed when he went to the Mavs. I still think he has plenty left and if he can stay healthy, I expect good things from him.

ohmwrecker
09-22-2010, 03:29 PM
Richard Jefferson will be better than Caron Butler this season . . . book it.

DPG21920
09-22-2010, 03:31 PM
Lol

MavDynasty
09-22-2010, 03:31 PM
lol 19 points in 33 minutes is shitty brah, imagine him playing 40 if rick wasnt a dumbass

lol jefferson 9 pts in 32 minutes

MavDynasty
09-22-2010, 03:32 PM
tbh I'm not talking shit about the Spurs, just dumbasses like Lefty who constantly get owned in every thread

ohmwrecker
09-22-2010, 03:33 PM
RJ was better than "Carom" Butler last year . . . Why not?

lefty
lol 19 points in 33 minutes is shitty brah, imagine him playing 40 if rick wasnt a dumbass

lol jefferson 9 pts in 32 minutes
lol 4-2

MavDynasty
lol too fucking stupid to read an espn headline then denying it like a pussy bitch

lefty
09-22-2010, 03:34 PM
lol being a Mav fan

MavDynasty
09-22-2010, 03:41 PM
:cry good one :cry :cry

lefty
09-22-2010, 03:41 PM
:cry good one :cry :cry
I know :king

Ditty
09-22-2010, 03:49 PM
:sleep non issue

Giuseppe
09-22-2010, 03:55 PM
I used to think Ol' Cubby actually knew a thing or two about the game behind all those tee hee's and controllinao's, but some of his latest takes are pretty suspect tbh. IMHO nothing that has happened should have given such an impression that Caron was surely done.

Cept he's loitered & stepped out the door chronologically.

Ghazi
09-22-2010, 04:44 PM
we staaaacked

ohmwrecker
09-22-2010, 04:46 PM
we staaaacked

You guys got Stackhouse again?!

Giuseppe
09-22-2010, 05:16 PM
that doesn't mean that the skill and potential the get it together isn't there

Yes, it does mean precisely that. It's extremely rare that an NBA players finds his place in the sun this late in his career.

Butler can still function on an NBA court.

To bank on him to impact to a positive difference is foolhardy & wrong headed.

Killakobe81
09-22-2010, 05:20 PM
I really have always liked Caron and his game. I was pissed when he went to the Mavs. I still think he has plenty left and if he can stay healthy, I expect good things from him.

agree. Good guy grown from a troubled past. Hated when he went in the Kwame deal ...but thank god we ended with Pau. :king

badfish22
09-22-2010, 05:21 PM
Richard Jefferson will be better than Caron Butler this season . . . book it.

We got the Grey Name Spurfan opinion out of the way...

sefant77
09-22-2010, 10:29 PM
Caron said it best,Settling for too many jumpshots. He needs to attack the rim more and use his size and athleticism

I say there is a nice chance that Butler has a bounce back year. He worked the whole summer to fit in better with the Mavs (less jumper, more attacking), contract year for his last big payday, full training camp and preseason and not arriving midseason to a complete different team and offense.

picc84
09-22-2010, 10:40 PM
How does taking less jumpers fit in better with the Mavs.

Venti Quattro
09-22-2010, 10:40 PM
He could've been something special in LA. Trading him away for virtually nothing was one of Kupchak's shittiest moves, and as great as Mitch is now I still hate him for that.

badfish22
09-22-2010, 11:22 PM
How does taking less jumpers fit in better with the Mavs.

We need a slasher....

Giuseppe
09-22-2010, 11:26 PM
He could've been something special in LA. Trading him away for virtually nothing was one of Kupchak's shittiest moves, and as great as Mitch is now I still hate him for that.

Butler is and always has been a waste of space.

Venti Quattro
09-22-2010, 11:28 PM
But trading him away did net us Gasol though so looking back, Mitch is a genius

ohmwrecker
09-23-2010, 03:27 PM
We got the Grey Name Spurfan opinion out of the way...

That insult holds as much water as "lol Mavfan" . . . wait . . . No, it doesn't.

Roddy Beaubois
09-23-2010, 06:31 PM
Grey spurfan still embarrassing himself

Juanobili
09-23-2010, 06:33 PM
Didn't Jason Terry say something like this last year? All I gotta say is lol

sefant77
09-23-2010, 08:09 PM
Didn't Jason Terry say something like this last year? All I gotta say is lol

who cares, everyone knew last year Terry is a streaky shooter that sucks since 2007.

He also told he will win again the 6th man award. I hope that doesnt happen, the last thing the Mavs need is Terry playing 30+mins.

ogait
09-23-2010, 08:42 PM
Butler was the one guy on the Mavs I thought last year could've changed the series on their favour if he played more consistently. He needs to be more aggressive, drive to the basket and draw fouls instead of shooting jumpers off the double teams on Dirk like all the rest of his team.

In any case it's still just talk ahead of time as usual. If this was Terry I would just laugh but I think Butler is good enough to make it more than just words.

Koolaid_Man
09-23-2010, 09:09 PM
Caron Butler announces big intentions
September, 22, 2010
SEP 22
12:44
PM CT
EmailPrintComments
By Jeff Caplan
Say this for Dallas Mavericks small forward/shooting guard Caron Butler: He's not afraid of expectations.

In fact, on Wednesday, Butler's publicity team at Swanson Communications made it official: Butler is expecting to have a big, big season.

"I have been talking to my teammates and coach [Rick] Carlisle about what this group of players can achieve. As a team we have a lot of expectations for what we can accomplish this year," Butler said in a press release. "Maybe losing in the early round last year is what we needed as a team. Now I sense hunger from everyone to get it done this season. We are all looking forward to training camp, getting in a team rhythm and doing some big things this year."

As has been noted here several times this summer, Butler made it a priority to drop weight and get stronger and quicker. He spent the last month working with conditioning guru Tim Grover in Chicago. Butler is back in Dallas and preparing for the start of training camp on Tuesday at SMU. The team will hold its Media Day on Monday at the American Airlines Center.

"I've been focusing on my core this off-season," Butler said in a press release. "My legs are stronger. I feel like I'm more agile, and I have a lot more flexibility in my hips. I've lost 10 pounds and I am down to 225. That's where I wanted to be and where the coaching staff wanted me. ... Since being in Chicago with Grover, my explosiveness is back, and I feel better than ever. He tapped into what I needed. He's made my game better. Last year, I was settling for jump shots. Now I want to be more aggressive and execute a variety of looks from the court both on the attack and on defense."

Music to the Mavs' ears.

"With this team that we have in place, I want to win it all," Butler said. "We definitely want to finish in the top three in the West. That's a very realistic goal. We want homecourt [advantage] heading into the playoffs. To have an opportunity in this conference, you want that. Then once you're in the playoffs anything can happen, and I believe we can make a run to the top."

Of course, we'll see if Butler is around long enough to see those goals through. His expiring, $10.8 million contract will be attractive at the trade deadline, when Butler was acquired last season. Mavs owner Mark Cuban has made it no secret that the club will continue to seek a second superstar to pair with the Dirk Nowitzki.

If a deal pops up, Butler could very well be a part of the trade. But, until that happens, at least the Mavs know they have a player who's ready to roll in a big, big year.

once he masters the art of jizzing on himself then he can talk about undoing the zipper...

HarlemHeat37
09-23-2010, 09:09 PM
At the time of the trade, I said Caron Butler would be an upgrade, but isn't a player that I'm scared of..I pretty much stand by that..he's a little overrated by some people IMO, I don't really see the big deal about him..

Butler is correct that he didn't go to the rim as much, he saw a significant decline in attempts at the rim last season, but I don't know how much of a difference it's going to make..it looks like he no longer has the athleticism and ability to finish at the rim like he used to..

2010: 3.7 attempts at the rim, 45%..
2009: 4.6, 63%..
2008: 4.1, 69%..
2007: 4.8, 59%..

Significantly less attempts, yet a massive decline in efficiency..we'll see if it was just an anomaly, or if he's just on the decline/losing athleticism and ability..

Butler was extremely good in his isolation offense last year, and he was good at handling the pick and roll too..Dallas needs to run more individual plays for him..he struggled heavily in the team game..he was one of the worst spot-up shooting perimeter players in the NBA last year(37%), and he was poor at catch/shooting..

The Mavs will have to find a way to utilize Butler more by giving him the ball more and letting him play his own game IMO..maybe move him to 6th man..

picc84
09-23-2010, 09:10 PM
Butler is slightly better than Josh Howard. He's a good player. But the Mavs need a Brandon Roy, Manu Ginobili type of player. And he ain't it.

Phillip
09-24-2010, 09:29 AM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Terry, Butler, and Chandler all have great seasons. They are all in contract years. This may be the Mavs last chance at getting back to the Finals in the Dirk era, because we may not see any more motivated seasons out of any of these guys. IMO, Terry is the biggest key for the Mavs success this year, and he may finally show up, simply due to it being a contract year. If he can get his 3pt % back up to around 40%, and can start showing up consistently in the clutch like he used to, the Mavs will be really tough to beat.

Unfortunately, if the Heat end up gelling well together, it just may end up being another loss to Miami. :depressed

Giuseppe
09-24-2010, 09:47 AM
You ain't goin' to The Finals, fool.

You had your chance. That was your chance of a lifetime in a lifetime of chance.

Now, go back and get your f'in shine box.

Dunc n Dave
09-24-2010, 11:19 AM
We need a slasher....

You have one glued to the bench. His name is Roddy B....
Tell your dumbass coach to unleash the BEAST.

Giuseppe
09-24-2010, 11:23 AM
They had one in Tim Thomas:::he slashed the Lakers to death that one series. Jesus, Mother Mary & Joseph.

But, alas, he crawled back up in his own asshole after that aforementioned series.

tee, hee.

Ashy Larry
09-24-2010, 11:40 AM
sending Butler to Washington for Kwa-may Brown was pretty brutal ......... wish we could have kept him.

Giuseppe
09-24-2010, 11:42 AM
For what? He's never amounted to a hill-a-beans in a half-dozen stops. He's too short to play forward, too slow to play guard. He's as worthless as Hussein Obama.

tee, hee.

Lukor
09-24-2010, 01:10 PM
For what? He's never amounted to a hill-a-beans in a half-dozen stops. He's too short to play forward, too slow to play guard. He's as worthless as Hussein Obama.

tee, hee.

He's 6'7 genius. That's '1 taller than Ron Artest for your reference.

Giuseppe
09-24-2010, 04:43 PM
He's 6'7 genius. That's '1 taller than Ron Artest for your reference.

And Butler is still too short to play forward & too slow to play guard.

HarlemHeat37
11-08-2010, 10:56 PM
So, Butler is shooting even less shots at the rim than he did last season(which was much less than previous years, as I wrote in my post in this thread)..I thought he was going to attack more???..

Ghazi
11-08-2010, 10:59 PM
Butler's been lame all year.

still better than J-Ho, but still...

we need Iggy

Ghazi
11-08-2010, 10:59 PM
Butler's been lame all year.

still better than J-Ho, but still...

we need Iggy

Pelicans78
11-08-2010, 11:02 PM
Iggy's overrated. Plus he needs to dominate the ball to be effective.

RoddyBukkake
11-08-2010, 11:04 PM
benched for Marion

Lukor
11-08-2010, 11:05 PM
So, Butler is shooting even less shots at the rim than he did last season(which was much less than previous years, as I wrote in my post in this thread)..I thought he was going to attack more???..

Son,i have to apologize for this thread. Butler is done. Loosing weight has actually made him play worse for some reason.I'm glad his ass was on the bench for the whole 4th quarter tonight.

HarlemHeat37
11-08-2010, 11:09 PM
A Butler-Terry trade might be able to get the Mavs something nice..

SomeCallMeTim
11-08-2010, 11:27 PM
A Butler-Terry trade might be able to get the Mavs something nice..

What teams are looking for cap/contract relief?

Detroit comes to mind immediately.

sefant77
11-08-2010, 11:29 PM
Mavs could take Iggy and Noci (one year more with 7 million) for Butler, Jones, Stevenson, 1st

Still no team would take Iggy and Brand.