PDA

View Full Version : New Zealand's Penney invited to training camp

ace3g
09-22-2010, 03:33 PM
Written by Michael A. De Leon
Wednesday, 22 September 2010 13:34

According to 3News in New Zealand, the San Antonio Spurs are bringing in Kirk Penney to fight for a roster spot in training camp.

http://projectspurs.com/2010-articles/september/new-zealands-penney-invited-to-training-camp.html

Phenomanul
09-22-2010, 03:35 PM
interesting...

FlAVaK
09-22-2010, 03:50 PM
"Penney given big shot at NBA" (http://tvnz.co.nz/basketball-news/penney-given-big-shot-nba-3795983)

World class New Zealand shooter Kirk Penney is on the verge of a long-awaited return to the NBA. He has been offered a trial with the San Antonio Spurs and was to leave for the United States today in a bid to force his way onto the roster of one of the strongest NBA franchises.

Penney, 29, told the Deaker on Sport television show that he had waited five years for a chance to prove himself in the world's elite league. He played four games for the Los Angeles Clippers at the end of 2004 before being released.
"I'm going to get another crack, another shot after five years ago with the Clippers," Penney said.

"And that was a short, short stint. So here we go."

Penney's standout performances at the recent world basketball championships in Turkey raised his stock considerably. Penney emerged as the tournament's second leading scorer, helping the Tall Blacks reach the last 16.

Penney goes with the blessing of the Breakers, who have long said they would be happy for their premier scorer to chase his NBA dream. He will probably have to compete against six other players for two or three spots on the roster ahead of the NBA season starting in late October.

If the trial is successful he will join All Stars Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili in what is traditionally one of the Western Conferences strongest franchises. Meanwhile, compatriot Sean Marks is currently in a training camp with the Washington Wizards as he seeks to extend a decade-long career in the NBA.

Phenomanul
09-22-2010, 03:58 PM
Is he strictly a SG? or can he also play the SF position?

ceperez
09-22-2010, 03:58 PM
Sigh... another 6'5" guard.

Well J.J.Redick got a monster deal this summer... so maybe he's a cheap version of J.J.Redick.

xellos88330
09-22-2010, 04:03 PM
That is what the Spurs have been missing. A KIWI!!!

ace3g
09-22-2010, 04:06 PM
I was hoping Abercrombie (spelling?) could come over but I think someone said he is still under contract

ace3g
09-22-2010, 04:08 PM
That is what the Spurs have been missing. A KIWI!!!

if '05 is any sign, having a KIWI is good luck

still don't like that he is another 6'5 shooting guard, he would have to put on a Gary Neal summer league type performance to get a contract.

Solid D
09-22-2010, 04:09 PM
He's got some savvy and a great shooting eye but Gary Neal and Alonzo Gee would have to fail (or get injured) in camp in order for Kirk to get some play. Good player who has been around... Maccabi, Zalgiris, NZ etc. but he's almost 30 years old.

Bruno
09-22-2010, 05:23 PM
If it's true, what a strange move.

Penney and Neal are very similar players. I don't see the point of having both on a roster.

Is Penney some kind of insurance if Neal fails during the training camp?
Penney has had a great WC in Turkey. How much guaranteed money did ti take to get him?

8FOR!3
09-22-2010, 05:42 PM
The way I look at it, this guy is being brought in to compete with Gary Neal. Good luck to Kirk Penney.

Solid D
09-22-2010, 05:45 PM
If it's true, what a strange move.

Penney and Neal are very similar players. I don't see the point of having both on a roster.

Is Penney some kind of insurance if Neal fails during the training camp?
Penney has had a great WC in Turkey. How much guaranteed money did ti take to get him?

Parker dealing dimes to penney is money!!!

Okay, so that was wayyyy too corny.

DPG21920
09-22-2010, 05:55 PM
I just don't get these moves. It's clear to everyone here the Spurs need a perimeter defender/SF. RC even says so.

Then they keep bringing in SG's.

slick'81
09-22-2010, 05:59 PM
another 6'5 shooter yes!!!

Nathan89
09-22-2010, 05:59 PM
Every time I see a article about a possible new addition for the spurs I look for the height of the player. Unfortunately it always says 6'5 and I just stop reading.

Ocotillo
09-22-2010, 06:01 PM
Sigh........ :(

timtonymanu
09-22-2010, 06:02 PM
Ahh!!! 6'5 guards is becoming the new small ball.

Mel_13
09-22-2010, 06:09 PM
Penney has some history with the Spurs and also with the proprietors of SpursTalk.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100121

EricD
09-22-2010, 06:15 PM
Boy o' boy o' boy..

This is incredible news!!

I love the off-season around this time when teams make irrelevant additions.

Penney will be a great Spur. :cheers

EricD
09-22-2010, 06:18 PM
What do you think guys?

Does this mean less time for Manu and Hill come playoff time?

Obstructed_View
09-22-2010, 06:39 PM
I was just saying the other day to a friend that all the Spurs were missing from this roster was someone who could put up a bunch of baskets from outside and nothing else. Then I predicted that the NBA would allow teams to play with three basketballs at once and make defense illegal.

timvp
09-22-2010, 06:40 PM
Oh hell no :makemyday

duncan228
09-22-2010, 06:47 PM
Oh hell no :makemyday

:lol

SCdac
09-22-2010, 07:09 PM
every day that goes by I wish we didn't pass on Damion James. Not necessarily just him, but that KIND of player (defensive, tough SF), and on a rookie contract would have been PERFECT. I can understand trying to replace that Barry/Finley/Mason shooter role, but we don't need 2 or 3, inexperienced, versions of them on the same roster. Need some length, players who can size up to small forwards, and guys who aren't getting killed off the dribble.

ElNono
09-22-2010, 07:19 PM
Training camp filler...

NZHayden
09-22-2010, 07:26 PM
woah this is huge news if it comes off, he's been playing pretty well in the NBL over here, so well done to him to get a look in at an NBA club

Dex
09-22-2010, 07:33 PM
Apparently the Spurs are trying to slowly assemble an all SG roster to rival the Minnesota Points.

duncan228
09-22-2010, 07:45 PM
Kirk Penney's NBA shot put Breakers in a pickle (http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/basketball/4159880/Penney-puts-Breakers-in-a-pickle)
By Marc Hinton

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/basketball/4159880/Penney-puts-Breakers-in-a-pickle

ChumpDumper
09-22-2010, 08:03 PM
Don't expect him to make the team.

wildbill2u
09-22-2010, 08:07 PM
Basketball aficionados laughed when the Spurs kept bringing in 6'5" players--until they realized we were trying to corner the market until there were no more available anywhere in the world.

Unfortunately for the Spurs, cornering the market in 6'5" players is sorta like collecting pennies in the hope that world copper prices will rise. Everyone has a jar full they'd love to get rid of.

ceperez
09-22-2010, 08:12 PM
Unfortunately for the Spurs, cornering the market in 6'5" players is sorta like collecting pennies in the hope that world copper prices will rise. Everyone has a jar full they'd love to get rid of.

Good one!

ezau
09-22-2010, 08:58 PM
Considering how much we got burned by the Suns because of lack of shooters, I don't see any reason why Penney won't be a Spur.

Trill Clinton
09-22-2010, 09:02 PM
Training camp filler...

Yup

nbaman99
09-22-2010, 09:28 PM
Since we have too many potential signing threads, i already posted this few hours before on another one.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162414

Mel_13
09-22-2010, 09:35 PM
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs15/f/2007/022/a/9/cookie_by_Durn.jpg

MI21
09-22-2010, 10:46 PM
Penney is a world class shooter. I've watched him play live a number of times and it is a genuine surprise when he misses, but he is just to limited athletically/defensively to be a legit NBA player.

TeKu
09-22-2010, 11:18 PM
Training camp fodder is right. Far too limited defensively to make the team (and this from a NZ'er). He scored a ton of pts at the World Champs but that's only cause NZ had no-one else worth a damn. He won't be able to get those looks in a NBA game.

The Spurs signed Rich Melzer from the Breakers to a training camp make good contract a couple of years back too so they obviously keep an eye down under.

Must say I thought this was a go at timvp when I saw the thread though. :lol

jesterbobman
09-22-2010, 11:46 PM
Wow, 3 New Zelanders here, I never knew. Penney is a good scorer at the NBL level, where he is smart enough and athletic enough to not be too bothered by others.

I'd imagine he'd struggle to beat people at NBA level, but that wouldn't be his job. He's a really good shooter, and I'd imagine his job(If he made the team) would be to keep open, not make mistakes with the ball(He wouldn't be handling it) and shoot open 3's. He could do that job.

Issues defensively, but if he plays smart and inside a scheme, size is decent enough at SG, though he's not a SF.

GSH
09-23-2010, 12:10 AM
Here's the problem with any spot-up shooter the Spurs bring in:

1. Timmy doesn't command the hard double teams the way he used to. It makes me sad, but it's the way things are. That lets defenders cheat out and cover the 3P shot that much quicker.
2. Parker is a scoring PG - his passing leaves something to be desired. He has a nasty habit of making his shooters stretch to take his passes. The time it takes them to reel in the pass and get their feet back under them gives defenders time to get out to the 3P line. It was less noticeable when Tim was drawing hard double teams on almost every play, but it's always been there.

Bottom line, these guys aren't getting the uncontentested 3P shots that someone like Steve Kerr got. And that's enough to take a shooter from "world class" to "adequate". I don't think anybody shoots 40%+ from the 3P line with a defender right in his face. Unless Parker has sharpened up his passing with all the work over the Summer, be prepared to be disappointed in whoever is taking those shots.

phyzik
09-23-2010, 12:43 AM
Im getting tired of the Spurs trying to be a jump shooting team..... It worked out in our favor in 07 but that was because we had some defensive minded players, mainly Bruce....

It just seems to be that EVERY player the Spurs have gone after the past 2 or 3 years, besides Splitter (already had the rights) and Blair (obvious pick from that point in the draft), is an outside spot shooter or a crappy backup point guard (they finally hit with Hill thankfully).

The whole Spurs method has been based on not scoring, but outscoring.... Meaning playing defense to limit the other teams to below 95 points or so and setup good shots for our snipers.... We can hardly limit teams like that anymore.

I know there is not alot of pickings out there for DPOY candidates, but jesus christ, there has to be SOMEONE out there, be it free agency or overseas, that is a decent defensive-minded player.... Im not asking for a Bruce Bowen, just someone who focuses primarily on Defense.

EricB
09-23-2010, 12:47 AM
I just don't get these moves. It's clear to everyone here the Spurs need a perimeter defender/SF. RC even says so.

Then they keep bringing in SG's.

If there was a good one out there, they'd love you to point it out to em I bet.

EricB
09-23-2010, 12:48 AM
Don't expect him to make the team.

but but but but!!!!

phyzik
09-23-2010, 12:56 AM
If there was a good one out there, they'd love you to point it out to em I bet.

Im sure they would listen to our sage advice... :lol

The thing is, out of all the choices they got... they go for another SG?

We dont need another one!

Hell, at this point, I'd rather them take a chance on some no-name SF that knows he is coming in for defense only, than another spot-up jump shooter who will choke under pressure to make their shots.

analyzed
09-23-2010, 02:37 AM
I've been following Kirk and the rest of the tall blacks down here in New Zealand, Kirk's trial invitation is based purely on his World champs performance. Which in a sense is dissapointing from a scouting or Spurs needs perspective. Kirk is a purely a Shooting guard with limited athleticim and defensive ability. The Kiwi who actually fills the Spurs need for a defensive Small Forward. Is Thomas Abercombrie the 6'7" athletic defensive small forward who was 2nd in scoring to Kirk and led the tall black in rebounding in this last WBC. Thomas held his own agaisnt Rudy Ferrnandez and Batum in the last WBC. Although he is under contract with the Breakers of the ANBL: "Everyone that plays in the ANBL signs a collective agreement that gives them an out to play in the NBA if they get a full contract,"

hsxvvd
09-23-2010, 03:00 AM
woah this is huge news if it comes off, he's been playing pretty well in the NBL over here, so well done to him to get a look in at an NBA club

NBL :rolleyes

Although he did win MVP....

If he makes the team, we'll have 4 former MVPs from around the globe
Duncan (NBA)
Splitter (Spanish league)
Ginobili (Italian League)
Penny (Australian league)

Am I forgetting anybody?

ezau
09-23-2010, 04:09 AM
Abercrombie is really impressive. He's young and he's got the size of an NBA SF.

Obstructed_View
09-23-2010, 04:48 AM
Considering how much we got burned by the Suns because of lack of shooters, I don't see any reason why Penney won't be a Spur.

Yeah, the Spurs just need to make an additional ten or twelve baskets a game. Jesus, people, it's not called "preventabasketball". You'd think the Spurs had won titles with defense or something. :rolleyes

NZ Spurs
09-23-2010, 04:48 AM
Here's the problem with any spot-up shooter the Spurs bring in

I don't think it should be a straight comparison with Neal. Penney is not just a spot up shooter. He is extremely good at getting shots using screens in set plays. He is more of a poor man's Richard Hamilton. He could provide the second unit a unique scoring option.

He might not have the quickest feet on the defensive end, but he is strong and is smart.

Abercrombie lacks the explosiveness needed to get by as a pure athlete, he can jump but it is a slow jump. He would also need to bulk up to be a 3 in the NBA. His jump shot is streaky as well.

temujin
09-23-2010, 07:40 AM
Here's the problem with any spot-up shooter the Spurs bring in:

1. Timmy doesn't command the hard double teams the way he used to. It makes me sad, but it's the way things are. That lets defenders cheat out and cover the 3P shot that much quicker.
2. Parker is a scoring PG - his passing leaves something to be desired. He has a nasty habit of making his shooters stretch to take his passes. The time it takes them to reel in the pass and get their feet back under them gives defenders time to get out to the 3P line. It was less noticeable when Tim was drawing hard double teams on almost every play, but it's always been there.

Bottom line, these guys aren't getting the uncontentested 3P shots that someone like Steve Kerr got. And that's enough to take a shooter from "world class" to "adequate". I don't think anybody shoots 40%+ from the 3P line with a defender right in his face. Unless Parker has sharpened up his passing with all the work over the Summer, be prepared to be disappointed in whoever is taking those shots.

The Manu-Splitter high PnR will open the lanes.
Spurs need a serious spot-up shooter with the second unit.
Mason had plenty of opportunities, he missed just about everything last year, except vs Knicks at MSG.
Hence Neal, hence Anderson, hence Penney.
Penney was tested in a serious competition, Neal and Anderson not.

The question mark about Penney is defense.
To me it's actually not a question mark: he can't stay in front of any people in the NBA.

From what I read, however, he has other pluses, just sitting on a bench beside people.;)

duncan228
09-23-2010, 03:13 PM
Penney off to San Antonio Spurs to realise his dream (http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/basketball/4162303/Penney-off-to-San-Antonio-Spurs-to-realise-his-dream)
By Marc Hinton

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/basketball/4162303/Penney-off-to-San-Antonio-Spurs-to-realise-his-dream

#2!
09-24-2010, 12:06 AM
I was hoping the spurs would give this guy a shot after watching him in the Worlds but like everyone has been saying, his height is a let down. Great 3 point shooter though so the spurs should have their pick of perimeter shooters during camp.

analyzed
09-24-2010, 12:44 AM
I'm a fellow Kiwi, but let's be objective here. Yes Penny is not as one dimensional as Neal, however he also is not as good a shooter as Neal. (75 % fT avg) . Neal had one of the best shooting demonstrations in the Spurs gym ever. ( based on Chip Engeland's comments). The thing with Penny is although I absolutely agree that he is a talent that belongs in the NBA. I just don't think the Spurs current line-up situation is the right team for him. I don't need to explain why this is, it's well documented that the Spurs are loaded at the 2 spot, which is the only position Penny can play in the NBA.

Although the jury is still out if Abercrobie's game is developed enough for the NBA. The one thing going for him is raw talent and youth ( 23 yrs old vs Penny's 30?) . I'm not saying Abercobrie is as prepared for the NBA as Penny is, however what he brings to the table in defense , length and athleticm simply makes more sense for the Spurs. ( in terms of need)

I don't think it should be a straight comparison with Neal. Penney is not just a spot up shooter. He is extremely good at getting shots using screens in set plays. He is more of a poor man's Richard Hamilton. He could provide the second unit a unique scoring option.

He might not have the quickest feet on the defensive end, but he is strong and is smart.

Abercrombie lacks the explosiveness needed to get by as a pure athlete, he can jump but it is a slow jump. He would also need to bulk up to be a 3 in the NBA. His jump shot is streaky as well.

screaming_tree
09-24-2010, 01:21 AM
people have been saying he's 6'5, but draft express say he is 6'6 in shoes
http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?page=&year=2003&source=All&sort2=ASC&draft=0&pos=0&sort=

which isn't bad for a shooting guard, he also somehow tested as the 4th best athlete in the combine.

he has proven in the d league against athletic players that he can score and get his shot off as he averaged about 24 a game there going against kyle weaver etc.

P.S whats the situation with ryan richards? will he be with the spurs this year or back overseas? i heard an interview with him a wee while ago and he seemed to indicate that he will be with the spurs but in the dleague - which i certainly hope is true. be nice to be able to see him and watch his progress rather than get lost in europe.

analyzed
09-24-2010, 02:48 AM
Kirk actually is not a bad athlete, is well conditioned and is off decent size for SG- 6'5 give and take an inch, However this does not really translate in the basketball court. He plays small for his height, dosent't have the length or explosivness and lacks the mentallity to play consistent defense. He is a smart player, draws fouls well and can take advantage of the gaps to take in to the hoop. He definelty is more talented than a number of NBA players. The Spurs unfortunately is not a good fit. You can compare him to George Mason. Talent , age and style. So you have to ask why in the world would the Spurs resign Mason , with Anderson and Neal in the team already supporting Manu and Hill. Geez.. a 5th shooting guard