PDA

View Full Version : Debunking the Islamophobia Meme

Yonivore
09-22-2010, 07:18 PM
Islam's Encounters With America (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703743504575493711825224290.html?m od=rss_opinion_main)

A survey by Elaph, the most respected electronic daily in the Arab world, saw 58% object to the building of the WTC mosque.

The truth is that the trajectory of Islam in America (and Europe for that matter) is at variance with the play of things in Islam's main habitat. A survey by Elaph, the most respected electronic daily in the Arab world, gave a decided edge to those who objected to the building of this mosque—58% saw it as a project of folly.

Elaph was at it again in the aftermath of Pastor Terry Jones's threat to burn copies of the Quran: It queried its readers as to whether America was a "tolerant" or a "bigoted" society. The split was 63% to 37% in favor of those who accepted the good faith and pluralism of this country.
Either 58% of the Arab World are "Islamophobes" or possibly, this is just another confirmation on the thesis that the constant agitation over "Islamophobia" and, in the same regard, Tea Party "Racism" are just political tools to demonize people with whom the epithet issuers simply disagree but, on grounds the they cannot refute with actual...well...reason.

Are there people opposed to the Mosque because they hate Islam? Sure. But, it's probably in the same proportion as people who support the Mosque because it's thumb to the eye of America and -- oh yeah, they probably hate Jews and Christians. Kind of a wash.

Can't wait to see Imam Rauf call his own coreligionists "Islamophobes." Should be entertaining.

Blake
09-22-2010, 07:39 PM
so much time has been by bloggers crying that it's not racism or Islamophobia while never saying what it is if it's not.

Yonivore
09-22-2010, 07:46 PM
so much time has been by bloggers crying that it's not racism or Islamophobia while never saying what it is if it's not.
That's not true; there are a whole host of articles and blogs out there saying why building a Mosque at Ground Zero is a bad idea. I can't control who you choose to read.

And, now that we have 58% of the mostly Muslim Arab world in our camp, how 'bout responding to the legitimate opposition?

ChumpDumper
09-22-2010, 07:46 PM
Muslims are not Islamophobic.

Yonivore is.

Blake
09-22-2010, 08:02 PM
That's not true; there are a whole host of articles and blogs out there saying why building a Mosque at Ground Zero is a bad idea. I can't control who you choose to read.

Give me a few reasons why it's a bad idea and let's see if we've read the same articles and blogs.

And, now that we have 58% of the mostly Muslim Arab world in our camp, how 'bout responding to the legitimate opposition?

there is no legitimate reason to oppose the community center.

ChumpDumper
09-22-2010, 08:08 PM
A survey by Elaph, the most respected electronic daily in the Arab world, gave a decided edge to those who objected to the building of this mosque—58% saw it as a project of folly. "Electronic daily"?

Was this like a foxnews.com or AOL internets poll?

Yonivore
09-22-2010, 08:11 PM
A vast majority of the victim's families object to a Mosque being built there.

That's a legitimate reason.

ChumpDumper
09-22-2010, 08:13 PM
A vast majority of the victim's families object to a Mosque being built there.Define "vast majority."

Many do not object.

That's a legitimate reason.What is their reason for opposing it?

Blake
09-22-2010, 08:17 PM
"Electronic daily"?

Was this like a foxnews.com or AOL internets poll?

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162510

should surprise exactly noone that Darrin posted the poll first

Yonivore
09-22-2010, 08:24 PM
Take it up with the Wall Street Journal

A survey by Elaph, the most respected electronic daily in the Arab world, saw 58% object to the building of the WTC mosque.

Blake
09-22-2010, 09:04 PM
Take it up with the Wall Street Journal

Take what up?

Opposing it is not a good reason to oppose it

Yonivore
09-22-2010, 09:13 PM
Take what up?
Your apparent issue with the poll.

Opposing it is not a good reason to oppose it
Opposing it because it is being built in the shadow of where Muslim coreligionists murdered nearly 3,000 people out of respect for the victims families is a reason.

Opposing it because they have the stupidity to schedule the opening on September 11, 2011 (the 10th anniversary of 9/11) is a reason.

Opposing it because the developer's motives and financing are suspect is a reason.

Opposing it because those who cheered the attacks of September 11 have already begun to hijack the mosque for their purposes is a reason.

Opposing it because of all refusal to acknowledge any of the above reasons, by developers, in lieu of calling opponents "Islamophobes" is a reason.

Opposing it because the humane thing to do would be to move it somewhere else in deference to the victims and their families is a reason.

ChumpDumper
09-22-2010, 09:17 PM
So pretty much all the reasons are "because they are Muslims."

Alright.

DarrinS
09-22-2010, 09:22 PM

Muslims are not a race.

MannyIsGod
09-22-2010, 09:22 PM

Opposing it because it is being built in the shadow of where Muslim coreligionists murdered nearly 3,000 people out of respect for the victims families is a reason.

Coreligionists? The fuck? Was terrorist or Muslim extremist not good for you? LOL Coreligionists. WTF?

Anyway, Only if you equate an average Muslim with your Corewhateverthefuckists

Opposing it because they have the stupidity to schedule the opening on September 11, 2011 (the 10th anniversary of 9/11) is a reason.

Thats a reason of opposing a community center? You can pick whatever you want but this is one weak ass reason. Personal opinion, sure, but then so is your reason.

Opposing it because the developer's motives and financing are suspect is a reason.

Too bad you lack proof for your suspicions.

Opposing it because those who cheered the attacks of September 11 have already begun to hijack the mosque for their purposes is a reason.

Oh really? The most visible mosque in the United States will be a breeding ground for terror is rather stupid. If they've mentioned this mosque at all its because all you Islamaphobes have made it an issue.

Opposing it because of all refusal to acknowledge any of the above reasons, by developers, in lieu of calling opponents "Islamophobes" is a reason.

You are being an Islamaphobe. Your reasons are laughable and people calling you on that does not constitute a reason no matter how much you want to make it so. This is the weakest of your reasoning so far.

Opposing it because the humane thing to do would be to move it somewhere else in deference to the victims and their families is a reason.

Only if you equate Muslim's using this center (and you do according to your reasons which is what makes you an Islamaphobe) with the terrorists who attacked the WTC.

MannyIsGod
09-22-2010, 09:23 PM
Muslims are not a race.

Darrinbot!

LnGrrrR
09-22-2010, 09:29 PM
Look guys, I think Darrin might be right. And in that spirit, I think we should really dismantle the White House... here are my reasons...

Minorities may feel slighted that it is called a "White House", and therefore, may decide to kill people on some future date because of it

Other countries may feel offended by our calling it a "White House" and implicitly claiming that we are the side of good; these countries may possibly ban together to attack us

Many terrorists are mad at our President, who works in the White House; therefore they will be less mad if he works somewhere else

The White House was built on a swamp; eco-terrorists may feel slighted and try to threaten someone because of this

For all these reasons, and I think you'll agree they're very valid, we should dismantle the White House. Perhaps the President could just work from home?

Blake
09-22-2010, 10:27 PM

what?

Winehole23
09-23-2010, 06:09 AM
Muslims are not a race.Religious bigotry is un-American.

Winehole23
09-23-2010, 06:09 AM
(Except when it's ultra-American, I guess.)

George Gervin's Afro
09-23-2010, 07:55 AM
so then this isn't viewed as a victory mosque? thanks Yoni for clearing that up!

TeyshaBlue
09-23-2010, 09:43 AM

Opposing it because it is being built in the shadow of where Muslim coreligionists

I'm sorry. When I hit Coreligionists my brain flashed the blue screen of death. It was quick, but I think it said Absurdity Buffer Overload. I then had to reboot my brain.:depressed

Can you repost the rest of your anti-Islam diatribe?

Thks.

Spurminator
09-23-2010, 09:59 AM
:lol @ coreligionists

Blake
09-23-2010, 10:11 AM
it's an actual word and he used it properly... I think.

TeyshaBlue
09-23-2010, 10:37 AM

Sorta.:wtf
co·re·li·gion·ist noun \ˌkō-ri-ˈlij-nist, -ˈli-jə-\
Definition of CORELIGIONIST
: a person of the same religion

Spurminator
09-23-2010, 11:04 AM

I wasn't laughing at the word, just the transparently manipulative nature of its usage in this instance.

MannyIsGod
09-23-2010, 11:56 AM

He absolutely used it correctly. His aim was to link the 9/11 hijackers to all Muslims and using a word like terrorist or extremist obviously does not accomplish that.

Thats the root of this whole debacle. Linking all Muslims with the terrorists. And thats why opposition is islamaphobic by nature.

DarrinS
09-23-2010, 12:55 PM
He absolutely used it correctly. His aim was to link the 9/11 hijackers to all Muslims and using a word like terrorist or extremist obviously does not accomplish that.

Thats the root of this whole debacle. Linking all Muslims with the terrorists. And thats why opposition is islamaphobic by nature.

I guess Muslims that oppose the GZM are afraid of themselves.

Blake
09-23-2010, 12:57 PM

why do you think they oppose it again?

DarrinS
09-23-2010, 12:58 PM
why do you think they oppose it again?

Because they think it's insensitive.

Blake
09-23-2010, 01:00 PM
Because they think it's insensitive.

Because they are Muslims that are building it.

round and round.

MannyIsGod
09-23-2010, 01:09 PM

Nope. Just because 2 seperate groups of people oppose the same thing doesn't mean they oppose it for the same reason.

Nuance, Darrinbot, Nuance.

MaNuMaNiAc
09-23-2010, 01:17 PM
What a bunch of bullshit! Both DarrinS and Yonivore have exposed themselves over and over to be completely prejudiced when it comes to Muslims in general and Islam as a whole. Trying to continue to argue the "because its insensitive" angle is so blatantly ridiculous it stopped being funny quite some time ago.

Face it, while there could be people out there genuinely concerned for the sensitivities of the victims' families, neither of you two give a fuck about that! Its so patently obvious! Nobody here is fooled by your bullshit, so just admit it!

LnGrrrR
09-23-2010, 01:29 PM
What a bunch of bullshit! Both DarrinS and Yonivore have exposed themselves over and over to be completely prejudiced when it comes to Muslims in general and Islam as a whole. Trying to continue to argue the "because its insensitive" angle is so blatantly ridiculous it stopped being funny quite some time ago.

Face it, while there could be people out there genuinely concerned for the sensitivities of the victims' families, neither of you two give a fuck about that! Its so patently obvious! Nobody here is fooled by your bullshit, so just admit it!

Come on Manu, you and I both know that what DarrinS is trying to prove is that 58% of Muslims think all Muslims are potential terrorists as well. :lol