PDA

View Full Version : Drinking before class?

BUMP
09-23-2010, 01:42 AM
Anyone who is/has been in college ever take a shot or two before heading to class?

I do it occasionally for the hell of it, unless of course i'm giving a speech or have a test. Only drawback is I can't stay awake sometimes in the long lecture classes. I want to know what the rest of spurstalk thinks about this subject!!

ALVAREZ6
09-23-2010, 01:46 AM
douche

WTF is the point of takin a shot or two

Get baked before class instead

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-23-2010, 01:46 AM
I have a linear algebra test in 8 hours and I'm currently drinking beer as I study.

phyzik
09-23-2010, 01:51 AM
Well, thats nothing special....

I drink during lunch... with my boss.... And Im not just talking 1 or 2 beers... We sometimes get pretty nice buzz if there is nothing going on or we are having a bad day.

we sometimes just decide to get out of the office for a few hours or so and drive around drinking 24's.

It's not that big of a deal in certain jobs. There are engineers at SwRI that have bottles of liqour in their desks. They promote an environment that allows abstract and free thinking. The only thing they dont tolarate is illegal substances and smoking indoors.

I have a friend that works at Rackspace.... They interviewed him with beers in hand, at the office... Rackspace allows drinking on the job from what I hear from him.... just as long as you dont go overboard.

BUMP
09-23-2010, 01:51 AM
douche

WTF is the point of takin a shot or two

Get baked before class instead

Rarely ever smoke, tbh

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-23-2010, 01:53 AM
Rarely ever smoke, tbh
:tu shit peaked in high school. I feel like doing it in college leads to being that idiot who's wife is telling him to quit in his 30's.

BUMP
09-23-2010, 01:54 AM
Well, thats nothing special....

I feel its not. Some people are to big of vaginas to even have a sip of alcohol on the week, and at the other end I've watched a kid give a speech in class drunk which was some of the best unintentional comedy I've ever seen.

baseline bum
09-23-2010, 01:56 AM
Nothing wrong with a study beer.

phyzik
09-23-2010, 01:58 AM
I feel its not. Some people are to big of vaginas to even have a sip of alcohol on the week, and at the other end I've watched a kid give a speech in class drunk which was some of the best unintentional comedy I've ever seen.

Exactly... in fact, my place of business only restricts illegal drugs and smoking indoors.... Other than that, anything is fair game as long as you can control yourself.

BUMP
09-23-2010, 01:58 AM
:tu shit peaked in high school. I feel like doing it in college leads to being that idiot who's wife is telling him to quit in his 30's.

If i meet some girls at a party or something that are smoking it, and they offer it to me for free, of course I'm not gonna refuse.

I just hate that lifestyle that addicts get into.

phyzik
09-23-2010, 02:01 AM
If i meet some girls at a party or something that are smoking it, and they offer it to me for free, of course I'm not gonna refuse.

thats pretty much how I am with Marijuana... I used to be a big time toker back in high school.... every day during summer in fact.... but now? ehhh... It's not all that great... If its being offered to me I might take a few hits, but Im not actively looking to buy the shit and not even close to craving it.

Beer on the otherhand... Yes... I have a problem.

I cant remember the last time I went a full day without at least 1 beer for the past 10 years or so. As a matter of fact, Im just about to finish a 12 pack that I bought today and the only thing stopping me from getting more is that its 2am.

BUMP
09-23-2010, 02:02 AM
And talking to most potheads is equally as frustrating. Once they're high they get delusional and turn into the biggest 1-uppers which makes conversing with them almost impossible.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-23-2010, 02:03 AM

:lol of course if someone is gonna smoke me out I'm down, but i don't understand how some college kids who don't work always have money for a healthy supply of weed. Shit costs so much money over time.

AnthonyM
09-23-2010, 04:14 AM
Nothing wrong with a shot or two before class to loosen up. Or just because you are bored. It's better to do that than drink heavily the night before a class, especially if that class is a 8 or 9 AM...which I've done on numerous occasions.

:lol of course if someone is gonna smoke me out I'm down, but i don't understand how some college kids who don't work always have money for a healthy supply of weed. Shit costs so much money over time.

I don't get it either. My old roommate was the same way, and always complained about not having money, but would have at least 200 dollars worth of weed in his possession at any given time. I think he lived off his mom's credit card and had his fat, stoner girlfriend perform sexual favors for weed.

DisAsTerBot
09-23-2010, 09:10 AM

...but you take shots before class?

Blake
09-23-2010, 09:42 AM
Anyone who is/has been in college ever take a shot or two before heading to class?

I do it occasionally for the hell of it, unless of course i'm giving a speech or have a test. Only drawback is I can't stay awake sometimes in the long lecture classes. I want to know what the rest of spurstalk thinks about this subject!!

Have you taken Intro to Cinema? If they still have that class, you drink during class.

Best course ever.

Venti Quattro
09-23-2010, 09:44 AM
One bottle before the school day isn't so bad. I just don't do it when my class starts at around 7 or 8. 9:00's okay to start drinking lol

tlongII
09-23-2010, 09:48 AM
I only drink when I'm alone or with somebody.

The Reckoning
09-23-2010, 09:51 AM
i chug two or three cups of coffee so ill take better notes. last time i went to class drunk, it wasnt a good idea.

TinTin
09-23-2010, 10:01 AM
I have a linear algebra test in 8 hours and I'm currently drinking beer as I study.

Welcome to the exciting world of matrices

resistanze
09-23-2010, 10:15 AM
lol linear algebra

I took it back in second year and the class average was a D.

desflood
09-23-2010, 10:20 AM
...but you take shots before class?
No crap. Nothing screams "alcoholic" like using booze to get up in the morning.

marini martini
09-23-2010, 10:28 AM
I only drink when I'm alone or with somebody.:toast
:lmao

Stringer_Bell
09-23-2010, 10:29 AM
A shot or two is a waste of alcohol, save it for whenever want to get drunk.

If you fall asleep in class, just don't go and simply get the notes from someone else. If you have a Nazi Professor that requires you to sign in, then simply have someone sign in for you.

CosmicCowboy
09-23-2010, 10:32 AM
Just remember, if you study/go to class buzzed then take your tests buzzed. You brain stores and retrieves information based on the context it received it.

HeatChamps
09-23-2010, 11:45 AM
Alcohol and studying do not go together. I try to keep them as far away as possible from each other.

MannyIsGod
09-23-2010, 12:11 PM
Seems pretty retarded. Next thing you know you're on a bender and you wake up in your college quad naked except for calf tats and high heels.

Wait, nevermind, we all know no one who graduates high school would actually get calf tats.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-23-2010, 12:13 PM
Welcome to the exciting world of matrices

lol linear algebra

One of the easiest tests I've ever taken, then again me doing well on a math test is like Lebron James dunking a basketball.

Soul_Patch
09-23-2010, 12:15 PM
It's cool dude. It is also cool if you carry a flask around with you and sneak a swig here and there while you are at class.

if you run out, it is also cool to just get some Listerine from the Walgreens and put that in your flask instead, its cheaper anyway.

Definately start buying your booze in bulk, and stay away from the pricey stuff...good gallon of bottom shelf vodka should do the trick, no need to mix it either. Of course, that will be gone by noon, so then back to the listerine.

sounds like you got it all under control bud...good luck in school!

IronMexican
09-23-2010, 12:20 PM
It's cool dude. It is also cool if you carry a flask around with you and sneak a swig here and there while you are at class.

if you run out, it is also cool to just get some Listerine from the Walgreens and put that in your flask instead, its cheaper anyway.

Definately start buying your booze in bulk, and stay away from the pricey stuff...good gallon of bottom shelf vodka should do the trick, no need to mix it either. Of course, that will be gone by noon, so then back to the listerine.

sounds like you got it all under control bud...good luck in school!

:lol

CosmicCowboy
09-23-2010, 12:24 PM
Seems pretty retarded. Next thing you know you're on a bender and you wake up in your college quad naked except for calf tats and high heels.

Wait, nevermind, we all know no one who graduates high school would actually get calf tats.

ouch

DJ Mbenga
09-23-2010, 12:26 PM
i knew someone who did that for a speech class. the problem is he took a drink for luck, courage, another one for bravery, excitement and for the road. he was kicked out of the class and failed.

baseline bum
09-23-2010, 12:26 PM
lol linear algebra

WTF? Did you take it at UTSA?

CosmicCowboy
09-23-2010, 12:42 PM

damn. Everyones on a roll today!

MannyIsGod
09-23-2010, 12:57 PM

:lmao :lmao

ALVAREZ6
09-23-2010, 01:28 PM
Alright. Here's my response to a majority of posts since my last in the beginning of the thread:

1. Are you not over drinking to be cool? Do you really feel that much cooler than people by having a one or two drinks (:lol) at a random time during the middle of the week? I definitely have nothing against this, more about the justification, but it just seems BUMP + maybe one or two others might have some pretty pathetic insecurity.

2. Those who spoke on marijuana and spat out some bullshit generalizations, read the "Is it cool to get high every day" thread.

ALVAREZ6
09-23-2010, 01:32 PM

Yeah, you're right, it's all about maybe being manly and cool.

OR, some people have shit to do and find no reason to get drunk just for the sake of getting drunk. You still in that freshman douche bag mode?

If you have nothing to do and want to have a good night in the middle of the week then sure go for drink and it's all good. Why's that make other people vaginas for not always doing the same?

ALVAREZ6
09-23-2010, 01:34 PM

Those are the potheads that have no control and are going nowhere in life.

Or the ones that have completely ignorant parents feeding them money, blindly.

ALVAREZ6
09-23-2010, 01:36 PM
A shot or two is a waste of alcohol, save it for whenever want to get drunk.

If you fall asleep in class, just don't go and simply get the notes from someone else. If you have a Nazi Professor that requires you to sign in, then simply have someone sign in for you.

Exactly one of my points.

Drinking just for the sake of drinking during a time when clearly there's better things to do is retarded. Unless you're some douche bag freshman or a retarded frat bro, you clearly have a different douche bag mentality.

balli
09-23-2010, 01:48 PM
I would never get drunk before class or get drunk during the day for the sake of getting drunk, but if I had to do a presentation or some public speaking shit, I would routinely take a double shot of whiskey before class. I see nothing wrong with it. It wasn't a waste of alcohol or me putting on airs like a douche frat kid, it was a way to lube up otherwise nervous public speaking mechanisms.

ALVAREZ6
09-23-2010, 01:57 PM
I would never get drunk before class or get drunk during the day for the sake of getting drunk, but if I had to do a presentation or some public speaking shit, I would routinely take a double shot of whiskey before class. I see nothing wrong with it. It wasn't a waste of alcohol or me putting on airs like a douche frat kid, it was a way to lube up otherwise nervous public speaking mechanisms.
Well this is something different than what BUMP was portraying, and if that helped you, obviously nothing wrong with that.

balli
09-23-2010, 02:00 PM
Obviously. BUMP is a dumbass. As he's the only poster on my ignore list, I missed his thesis. Doesn't surprise me that he just drinks during class because he enjoys it.

CosmicCowboy
09-23-2010, 02:04 PM
I'll be glad when Alvarez finally gets laid. He's a downer thread killer now.

TDMVPDPOY
09-23-2010, 02:13 PM
its crap when you have like 2-3 hr break till next class in the day....head to the pub get a few drinks, and walk into class with red face :( ...they know u drinkn but dont give a shit as long you dont be a clown in class while intoxicated

DoubtingThomas
09-23-2010, 02:21 PM

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o240/JoePublic_2007/alvarez2.jpg

Are you saying this stud is a virgin?

resistanze
09-23-2010, 02:42 PM
One of the easiest tests I've ever taken, then again me doing well on a math test is like Lebron James dunking a basketball.

The course apparently had a bad rep. The old-ass course co-coordinator loved to take questions that were levels beyond what was taught in class and what was available in the textbook. I thought about doing a minor in math until that course.

LoneStarState'sPride
09-23-2010, 02:45 PM
I've never touched alcohol, but it seems retarded to do it before class. I have a hard enough time with classes without making shit harder on myself lol.

Then again, I wouldn't know.

ALVAREZ6
09-23-2010, 02:53 PM

lololol I seriously was just thinking this (the part in bold, obviously) probably 5 seconds before reading this post. I just noticed how lately I've shutting shit down. I apologize. I'll try to go back to my immature roots if that's what you desire.

And I'm fine with you being the spurstalk.com female attention getter, CC. This isn't really where I look for bitches.

ALVAREZ6
09-23-2010, 02:56 PM
crofl alvarez has been on the defensive lately

and i agree that drinking before class is stupid, although i disagree about drinking during the week. i'll have a few beers whenever the fuck i feel like it, regardless of what anyone else thinks or says. if i feel like doing it i will, if i don't ill pass. limiting yourself and doing it in moderation instead of desperately waiting all week till the weekend to binge drink in overcompensation is what keeps you from becoming an alcoholic.

But even this attitude is something different than BUMP's. Something tells me you aren't doing it in attempt to be cool, but rather because you enjoy a beer or a few whenever, which I agree is great. You aren't calling people "vaginas" for not taking shots before class more often.

ALVAREZ6
09-23-2010, 02:57 PM
Are you saying this stud is a virgin?

Come on now, that's from 2007. I've upgraded my game a little since then. :fishing

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-23-2010, 03:18 PM

The course apparently had a bad rep. The old-ass course co-coordinator loved to take questions that were levels beyond what was taught in class and what was available in the textbook. I thought about doing a minor in math until that course.
That's how the math department at a lot of colleges works, fortunately I have 1 of very few teachers at UA who had a test the same difficulty as the homework.

What those questions do is make it so what you learn in class and in the homework has to become 2nd nature to you that you're able to apply those concepts to harder problems on the tests. It makes sense at times but the professors get way carried away with it sometimes.

HeatChamps
09-23-2010, 03:26 PM
I've never touched alcohol, but it seems retarded to do it before class. I have a hard enough time with classes without making shit harder on myself lol.

Then again, I wouldn't know.
You don't know what you're missing. lol Fun shit.

balli
09-23-2010, 03:32 PM

Lots of things are fun. As I remember you also defended cough syrup highs in the name of having a good time. Part of being an adult, a member of society, is putting aside things that are fun in order to accomplish things that are difficult. In other words, if you get off in history class, it better be because you're really into Rome, rather than the thrill of sitting there hammered at eleven in the morning.

Hooks
09-23-2010, 03:34 PM
I smoke sometimes, it makes class interesting. I smoked before one of my math tests last year, it took me like an hour to do 20 problems on my test lol, I'd try to figure out some simple math in my head but I kept on forgetting what I was trying to solve lol.

On the last day of high school someone brought a bottle of crown royal and my friends all got drunk during lunch. My friend Isaac (he was pretty drunk) was arguing with like everyone in class for no reason lol, I thought he was gonna get caught for sure.

In my junior some guy I knew got drunk before school, he was walking on the bleachers and fell down hardcore, I laughed my ass off.

The only time I'll drink is when I'm at a party, cause girls are horny as fuck when they're drunk lol. I gotta watch myself though, last time some ugly bitch caught me slippin and almost took advantage of me lol. I almost banged her but I sobered up after a while, and realized how ugly she was.

HeatChamps
09-23-2010, 04:01 PM
Lots of things are fun. As I remember you also defended cough syrup highs in the name of having a good time. Part of being an adult, a member of society, is putting aside things that are fun in order to accomplish things that are difficult. In other words, if you get off in history class, it better be because you're really into Rome, rather than the thrill of sitting there hammered at eleven in the morning.
I defend it only if you know you can't do it that often. If it takes over your life, you will fuck yourself up.

baseline bum
09-23-2010, 04:30 PM

LOL. The only time I had anything like that in the math department was my first midterm in my first probability class. The professor was fresh off his Ph.D from Cambridge, and gave us a Cambridge-level exam I guess. I was freaking out when I got my test back and had a 65 until he announced 60+ was an A and 15+ was passing. :lol

NASCARdad
09-23-2010, 04:31 PM
Damn, the pussification of America is getting stronger.

CosmicCowboy
09-23-2010, 04:41 PM
LOL. The only time I had anything like that in the math department was my first midterm in my first probability class. The professor was fresh off his Ph.D from Cambridge, and gave us a Cambridge-level exam I guess. I was freaking out when I got my test back and had a 65 until he announced 60+ was an A and 15+ was passing. :lol

I had a 4th year engineering structures class like that. 3 hours 3 problems. Cocksucker just blew us away. I wanted to puke when I walked out of there. I used an entire legal pad for calculations and was into a second. Made a 28 which turned out to be an A. Bastard.

Hooks
09-23-2010, 04:42 PM

There's that fag talk again.

SpursWoman
09-23-2010, 04:51 PM
I dunno ... when I was a senior in college each credit hour was $282, and the last time I checked it was over $750 per credit hour. Considering only 1/2 of my tuition was scholarships, I had to obtain loans for the rest .. so I didn't have the time or the money to be fucking off on a regular basis and risk unacceptable grades. Because that could have also cost me my scholarships.

That being said ... I went to an evening class one time after partying at a pool with some friends all day with a big cup of beer in my hand. Fortunately, my friend intercepted right before I walked into class. I bowed out about 1/2 way through when my buzz started to wear off. :drunk

LoneStarState'sPride
09-23-2010, 05:44 PM

Yeah, so I've heard..........don't care though. Lots of other fun shit to do, like graduating the fuck out of college lol.

BadOdor
09-23-2010, 05:52 PM
A comm major can probably get away being drunk 24/7 anyway....

LoneStarState'sPride
09-23-2010, 05:53 PM

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-23-2010, 06:03 PM
Tbh, what do comm majors do once they're done wtih college. I never understood what kind of career a communication major leads to.

LoneStarState'sPride
09-23-2010, 06:17 PM
Tbh, what do comm majors do once they're done wtih college. I never understood what kind of career a communication major leads to.

I have no clue. Need to ask my comm major gf (but she's already got a slot with the USAF lined up, so she might not know either :P)

badfish22
09-23-2010, 06:23 PM
Never done it tbh. Most of my classes are in the mornings, so I never have the desire to.
I drink once I get out.

Latarian Milton
09-23-2010, 07:07 PM
i don't know if you also have drama classes bro but if you do, these classes are just the ones you should get high before attending, especially when your to act some emotional roles like romeo etc.... you may kiss/caress your juliet as much as you want because being high will be a decent excuse for those behaviors.

Latarian Milton
09-23-2010, 07:08 PM
Never done it tbh. Most of my classes are in the mornings, so I never have the desire to.
I drink once I get out.

but obviously none of them is literature related TBH.

badfish22
09-23-2010, 07:12 PM
you mean are literature related, tbh

BadOdor
09-23-2010, 08:35 PM

Tbh sounds like a philosophy or literature/english majors, basically only useful if you continue on to law/medical school etc.

BUMP
09-23-2010, 08:45 PM

News anchor, weathermen, anybody on TV usually majors in that.

tbh, i'm trying to get into broadcasting, not necessarily in sports or anything, just general studies.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-23-2010, 08:58 PM
Wasn't hating tbh. It was an honest question, the only other people I know who are comm majors are athletes.

easjer
09-23-2010, 09:15 PM
Comm can lead to print journalism (photography, writing, etc), media, productions, and if there is social communication theory or interpersonal communications, it can segue nicely into a social work field.

Liberal arts degrees aren't inherently useless, you know. The people who have them generally have a good grasp of writing, theory, analysis and general history. IMO, a college education should not be exclusively about a job after college.

(yeah, I have a BA in history. I loved studying it. If I do a masters I prefer to do it in history instead of an MBA. Though I now have to take a couple of accounting classes, so who knows. . . sigh)

easjer
09-23-2010, 09:16 PM
And no, I never did shots before class. I mostly limited my drinking to the weekends, save that semester where I was well on my way to becoming an alcoholic. I drank a lot that semester.

I tend to agree with SW - it was too expensive a venture to fuck around with. Not that I was a model student or anything. I sort of cringe now to look back on myself then.

dallasmavsnfuego214
09-23-2010, 09:20 PM
Mass comm and journalism are very similar majors, with journalism obviously a little more behind the scenes.

To succeed in mass comm you have to be VERY good at public speaking cause you're the one who will always be on TV or presenting info, and if you're in journalism you have to be good at writing.

I remember dating a girl who majored in journalism in college and had her do all my english hw for me :lol Those were the days

Yeah I sucked at English, lol at me now.

cornbread
09-23-2010, 09:32 PM

I was in the Communications School at UT. I was an RTF major, not a communications major, but close enough in the grand scheme of things. Towards my senior year I was scratching my head wondering if this would lead to a real job. It all worked out and I've had the opportunity to have lucrative positions in advertising and now work as a marketing consultant at a firm that's been around for almost 25 years. Most of my college buddies went on to work in advertising (where you can make a shitload of money) or land production jobs in television and film in LA.

It's not all that different from other majors in the sense that you need to bust your ass in your internships, build a reputation for yourself and network like hell.

CuckingFunt
09-23-2010, 10:06 PM
limiting yourself and doing it in moderation instead of desperately waiting all week till the weekend to binge drink in overcompensation is what keeps you from becoming an alcoholic.

Um... not quite. If you're drinking throughout the week specifically to keep yourself from going out of control on the weekends, that would still indicate a dependence on alcohol.

I think your underlying point is that drinking in moderation, even on weekdays, is healthier than regular/frequent periods of boorish drunkenness, even if only on weekends. And, if that's what you were getting at, I would generally agree.

ALVAREZ6
09-23-2010, 10:11 PM

Ask any ex-NCAA basketball player that hasn't been drafted and isn't playing ball for anyone.

AnthonyM
09-23-2010, 10:18 PM
News anchor, weathermen, anybody on TV usually majors in that.

tbh, i'm trying to get into broadcasting, not necessarily in sports or anything, just general studies.

What college do you go to?

If you want to get into broadcasting i'd suggest specifying your major. For instance, at Texas State we have the School of Journalism and Mass Communication. In that school, there's advertising, public relations, journalism and electronic media. I don't know how other schools work and if they have that option or it's just general comm. studies.

But, electronic media is definitely the way to go if video production, broadcasting, radio, tv or any of those are what you want to go into.

CuckingFunt
09-23-2010, 10:25 PM
IMO, a college education should not be exclusively about a job after college.

Amen.

Nor should it be compulsory, as increasingly seems to be the case.

All the posts in here about getting drunk and/or high before class, regularly, and the evils of Nazi professors who actually require regular attendance lead me to the realization (re-realization, really) that we need to get back to a structure in which someone could skip college, without fear of embarrassment or any other negative social stigma, and still get a decent job with a decent wage. Students who aren't interested enough their education, beyond just the degree, to attend classes regularly (and sober) clearly don't want to be there. Which, for the record, is okay. Understandable, even, since that's the type of student I was at 18. It just has become an unnecessary, and often frustrating, stop for everyone who aspires to more than fry jockey or barista.

CuckingFunt
09-23-2010, 10:30 PM
I'm majoring in something I have no interest in doing after college.

Because it's a subject that interests you? Or because it will lead to something else down the road?

baseline bum
09-23-2010, 10:52 PM
Amen.

All the posts in here about getting drunk and/or high before class, regularly, and the evils of Nazi professors who actually require regular attendance lead me to the realization (re-realization, really) that we need to get back to a structure in which someone could skip college, without fear of embarrassment or any other negative social stigma, and still get a decent job with a decent wage. Students who aren't interested enough their education, beyond just the degree, to attend classes regularly (and sober) clearly don't want to be there. Which, for the record, is okay. Understandable, even, since that's the type of student I was at 18. It just has become an unnecessary, and often frustrating, stop for everyone who aspires to more than fry jockey or barista.

Forced attendance is lame; sometimes attendance can be an enormous waste of time. For instance, my first quarter numerical analysis class was completely worthless to go to. The subject material is fascinating, and my time was much better spent in bed reading a numerical analysis book I checked out from the library and doing proofs from it on my own over sitting in class for an hour and listening to the professor spend the whole time describing something incredibly simple like the bisection method for finding roots (yes, he spent an entire hour on something anyone with any mathematical skill could write down in his notes in 3 minutes). I gave the guy a couple of more chances, and the next two lectures were just as bad. It would have really pissed me off to have to attend that thing three times a week when I was getting absolutely nothing out of it. Staying home and studying it on my own from a harder textbook got me an easy A+ and prepared me for the exams much better than attending class ever would have.

CuckingFunt
09-23-2010, 11:06 PM
Forced attendance is lame; sometimes attendance can be an enormous waste of time. For instance, my first quarter numerical analysis class was completely worthless to go to. The subject material is fascinating, and my time was much better spent in bed reading a numerical analysis book I checked out from the library and doing proofs from it on my own over sitting in class for an hour and listening to the professor spend the whole time describing something incredibly simple like the bisection method for finding roots (yes, he spent an entire hour on something anyone with any mathematical skill could write down in his notes in 3 minutes). I gave the guy a couple of more chances, and the next two lectures were just as bad. It would have really pissed me off to have to attend that thing three times a week when I was getting absolutely nothing out of it. Staying home and studying it on my own from a harder textbook got me an easy A+ and prepared me for the exams much better than attending class ever would have.

Oh, I've definitely had classes like that. A general ed stats class about three years ago comes immediately to mind -- absolutely no reason to attend the Mon/Wed lectures other than to sign the attendance sheet. However, I've always seen that as a problem with the professor's teaching style, rather than their attendance requirements. Demanding that your students attend class regularly is reasonable, dumbing down a lecture and/or doing little more than regurgitating the text isn't.

desflood
09-23-2010, 11:13 PM
Every drunk eventually ends up in an AA meeting going, "I guess the point where I really should have realized that I had a problem was..." When BUMP gets there, he can refer back to this thread.

dallasmavsnfuego214
09-23-2010, 11:34 PM
Bump used to be a funny poster until he fell off his rocker

Dave Mustaine
09-23-2010, 11:36 PM
Yall fagets need to back up off that nigga BUMP before some heads get cracked.

JT's grandma
09-23-2010, 11:40 PM
Every drunk eventually ends up in an AA meeting going, "I guess the point where I really should have realized that I had a problem was..." When BUMP gets there, he can refer back to this thread.

I would hate for him to go the route of my grandson, oh Jonathan Thomas....

lakaluva's camel
09-23-2010, 11:48 PM

You gotta watch out for those bad habits, or you could end up like my buddy, lakaluva

I Cut
09-24-2010, 10:11 AM
Moderation is da key

IronPedophile
09-24-2010, 10:16 AM
class, c'mon, dude. I drink when I have a 12 year old over, sometimes I give a her a drink and slip a little Clorox in it beforehand.

Lee Corso
09-24-2010, 10:24 AM
You gotta watch out for those bad habits, or you could end up like my buddy, lakaluva

That camel is fast!

The Reckoning
09-24-2010, 10:57 AM
only women going to school to get their M.R.S. degree major in something that they dont plan to do after college.

IronMexican
09-24-2010, 11:11 AM
class, c'mon, dude. I drink when I have a 12 year old over, sometimes I give a her a drink and slip a little Clorox in it beforehand.

leemajors
09-24-2010, 11:24 AM
I was in the Communications School at UT. I was an RTF major, not a communications major, but close enough in the grand scheme of things. Towards my senior year I was scratching my head wondering if this would lead to a real job. It all worked out and I've had the opportunity to have lucrative positions in advertising and now work as a marketing consultant at a firm that's been around for almost 25 years. Most of my college buddies went on to work in advertising (where you can make a shitload of money) or land production jobs in television and film in LA.

It's not all that different from other majors in the sense that you need to bust your ass in your internships, build a reputation for yourself and network like hell.

Well that's a first for me to hear. Every UT RTF major I know either works at Dell, Apple, or for the Alamo Drafthouse. :lol

Gumby
09-24-2010, 11:30 AM
I've gone into class buzzin' from a bender but not on purpose.

easjer
09-24-2010, 01:01 PM
Amen.

I absolutely, 100% agree with you philosophically, in large part thanks to my broad-based education in the traditional humanities.

Further, the BA is so diluted now - and high school educations so much worse than they were, say, even 50 years ago - that it's often not enough to be more than a fry jockey or barista, especially in this economy.

I really ought to get a masters degree to secure my future employment - but it doesn't even matter in what field at this point, because master's degrees are beginning to be diluted because of the glut of post-grad students, thanks again to the economy and the difficulties of finding a job immediately out of college.

But, practically, I kind of hope it doesn't happen, because we need students. Despite record enrollment, our state $ has already been slashed and looks to be again for next fiscal year. I've no idea where the next round of cuts will come from, as we've already begun eliminating positions (since we are not allowed to cut teaching funds - for good/obvious reasons).

easjer
09-24-2010, 01:03 PM
only women going to school to get their M.R.S. degree major in something that they dont plan to do after college.

Not true. I did not attend college for an MRS (and in fact, despite being married, am not an Mrs. - It's Ms.), and I had no intention of working in a history-related field. I just really enjoyed studying it. I did and do find history fascinating.

I did switch out from a theatre degree, though, when I realized I had no intention of continuing in theatre.

Latarian Milton
09-24-2010, 08:14 PM
all cooks would lose their jobs if everyone cooks themselves. education used to be good when the kids could actually learn something meaningful from schools, but today education is more about the degree than the conventional method of teaching.

easjer
09-24-2010, 10:22 PM
My favorite professor, whom I adored, used to point out the contradiction near the end of his life, using an especially illustrative true story. When he began teaching at my school in the early 70's he had 14 books on his syllabus (for an introductory American government class). He was pulled aside and told that he was perhaps not being rigorous enough, and should re-examine his workload.

In his last two years or so, he had the same syllabus, with the same number of books, and was pulled aside and told that he ought to consider reducing the booklist and re-examine his workload because it was too much to expect students to be able to read that many books in an introductory American government course.

The Reckoning
09-24-2010, 11:01 PM
you cant make that comparison though because with the advent of computers and technology, professors regulary assign online readings and videos to watch as well.

baseline bum
09-24-2010, 11:03 PM
With the huge influx of people who now have to go to college to get a decent job, it's no wonder that the average is being brought down. Besides, universities aren't about education anymore anyways; at least not when good professors get kicked to the curb for budget reasons while the new gyms and new swimming pools get green-lighted.

J.T.
09-25-2010, 09:17 AM
not going to read this whole thread so if you fuckers took this shit off topic then i dont give a fuck

but i never really went to class drunk. not freshly drunk anyway. maybe like pseudo drunk from a waking hangover or something. went to class stoned all the time though but who doesn't.

went to class on acid one time and it was pretty hard to pay attention on that shit. felt like it took forever for that hour and a half to go by. took a test on ecstasy once and got an 82, then walking back to the parking lot decided it would be a good idea to go for a leisurely swim in the san marcos river and jumped in the water with my wallet and phone still in my pocket. good times.

J.T.
09-25-2010, 09:19 AM

dude thats like a fortune cookie for my future

FortuneCookie
09-25-2010, 09:28 AM
dude thats like a fortune cookie for my future

The future depends on what we do in the present.

Lucky Numbers: 14, 17, 22, 29, 39, 45 55

easjer
09-25-2010, 08:31 PM
you cant make that comparison though because with the advent of computers and technology, professors regulary assign online readings and videos to watch as well.

His syllabus hadn't changed - he had assigned no extra online readings or videos. Just basic, classic books.

With the huge influx of people who now have to go to college to get a decent job, it's no wonder that the average is being brought down. Besides, universities aren't about education anymore anyways; at least not when good professors get kicked to the curb for budget reasons while the new gyms and new swimming pools get green-lighted.

A couple of things -

One, we were not allowed to touch teaching funds. Or student service funds. So when my uni's state funds got slashed and we took a 10% hit on our FY11 budget the only areas left to make cuts were staff. I have NO idea what we are going to do with the next cut that's projected because of the state economy. Rumors are that we still won't be allowed to touch faculty or teaching funds.

Which - at a university - is reasonable enough. But when it's coming down to cutting programs or crippling your staff - I'm current working what used to be covered by 2 full time staff because of cuts and I don't know how much longer I can manage these hours without additional compensation - there should be options to re-evaluate your faculty and teaching funds.

Two, salary funds and project funds are different and are earmarked differently. It's not as straight-forward as cutting from building/project funds and moving it to cover salary funds. At least at my place, a lot of those building funds are specifically from grants or fundraising efforts that stipulate that they can't be spent on other things.

And the other thing is that a university makes no money without students there (no matter how often I crack a joke about campus being a nicer place without students). Universities are expected to be resorts these days and making those ammenities available to students (and subsequently charging usage fees to students, regardless of use) is actually a smart investment and one area that does eventually go to support the university in a wider field.

Not that it doesn't leave a bitter taste in your mouth - it can and does. But. . . the funding sources have to be considered.

BadOdor
09-25-2010, 11:16 PM
Anyone else here doesn't drink at all?