PDA

View Full Version : Dog Walking Help

RedsLakers24
09-23-2010, 01:42 AM
I Have a doberman, he's 9 months right now, and each time we go on walks he walks fine, but when its time to go home he doesnt want to walk. He knows our street and just stops and doesnt go to the direction of the house, he just sits and refuses to walk. He walks on the other directions, as long as its not to the house, so, any tips???

thispego
09-23-2010, 01:51 AM
kill it and have your parents buy you a new dog. and don't fuck this new one up

Gutter92
09-23-2010, 02:04 AM
lol my puppy is like the exact opposite, he runs to the door on the way back...only thing is, we live in an apartment complex (buncha apartment buildings, all of the buildings look the same), and he always runs to the door on the right, even if its the wrong building :lol

I'd suggest bringing a treat or something and rewarding him (or baiting him :P) to go to the door, maybe lil pieces of watermelon or something lol

BadOdor
09-23-2010, 03:09 AM
Do you abuse it or something while at home?

RedsLakers24
09-23-2010, 03:33 AM
Do you abuse it or something while at home?

No, i would never hurt my dog.

AnthonyM
09-23-2010, 04:30 AM
The walks might be too short so he doesn't want to go back yet. Or he doesn't get out enough so when you do take him for walks he doesn't want to go back because it'll be a while before he gets to go for another walk.

That's weird though, never really heard of that happening and it never happened with my dog.

Try taking some treats or a ball with you next time.

Chachachango
09-23-2010, 08:54 AM
maybe feed him treats all the way home.

DisAsTerBot
09-23-2010, 08:58 AM
longer walks

CavsSuperFan
09-23-2010, 09:12 AM
Get a Pit-Bull to gnaw on his leg & teach him some manners...

PM5K
09-23-2010, 09:25 AM
Tell your wife to stop beating your dog. (lol)

Venti Quattro
09-23-2010, 09:43 AM
lead it with something delectable that leads to your home. lol

mrsmaalox
09-23-2010, 09:52 AM
I have a 6 yr old doberman and he only does that sitting down, refusing to move thing if we have been out walking/running for too long. He's just basically saying "I'm done".

Venti Quattro
09-23-2010, 09:55 AM
I have a 6 yr old doberman and he only does that sitting down, refusing to move thing if we have been out walking/running for too long. He's just basically saying "I'm done".

Maybe you've been taking your doberman off to 21k runs. :lol

The Reckoning
09-23-2010, 10:04 AM
my 5 year old doberman pulls the shit outta me. my dumbass brother lets the dog do what he wants, so its pretty much impossible (without an unlimited amount of patience) to retrain him.

do y'all feel uneasy walking your doberman? mine has the temperment of a lab, but people are very intimidated by him and usually run away (no joke) or come up to me and ask if he's child friendly so their kid could walk by. also, the little dogs (poodles, chihuahas, etc) always have some kind of napolean complex and run up to him yelping. naturally their owners freak out. i have to walk him super early or at night because so.

to answer your question, id wrap around the neighborhood so the dog will be too busy sniffing and looking at stuff to realize youre back at the house. if you turn back, most dogs hate going the route they came from, so id change it up every now and then. when my dog was a pup, id take him off the leash coming back so he could have more freedom and know how to get home if he got lost, but i wouldnt recommend that.

mrsmaalox
09-23-2010, 10:26 AM
my 5 year old doberman pulls the shit outta me. my dumbass brother lets the dog do what he wants, so its pretty much impossible (without an unlimited amount of patience) to retrain him.

do y'all feel uneasy walking your doberman? mine has the temperment of a lab, but people are very intimidated by him and usually run away (no joke) or come up to me and ask if he's child friendly so their kid could walk by. also, the little dogs (poodles, chihuahas, etc) always have some kind of napolean complex and run up to him yelping. naturally their owners freak out. i have to walk him super early or at night because so.

My dobey is a big sweetheart too. He's very loveable and friendly, even to strangers when he is in his own house. He walks/runs really well and is very focused; he looks straight ahead and completely ignores other people or dogs on the trail. I get stopped a lot by people who want to ask about him or commenting on his good looks, but he just stands there looking straight ahead, even if there are little dogs yapping around him. I didn't train him like that, that's just how he is.

I also like to leave him off his leash sometimes. But although he can ignore people and dogs,
he's not the same way about skunks or coyotes! Oh and he's scared of cars. He's too skittish walking on the street or sidewalk so we can only do trails.

marini martini
09-23-2010, 10:32 AM
My dobey is a big sweetheart too. He's very loveable and friendly, even to strangers when he is in his own house. He walks/runs really well and is very focused; he looks straight ahead and completely ignores other people or dogs on the trail. I get stopped a lot by people who want to ask about him or commenting on his good looks, but he just stands there looking straight ahead, even if there are little dogs yapping around him. I didn't train him like that, that's just how he is.

I also like to leave him off his leash sometimes. But although he can ignore people and dogs,
he's not the same way about skunks or coyotes! Oh and he's scared of cars. He's too skittish walking on the street or sidewalk so we can only do trails.

Sounds like my husband!!!:lmao

mrsmaalox
09-23-2010, 10:34 AM
Sounds like my husband!!!:lmao

Well ol' Larry is definitely a good dog ;)

bus driver
09-23-2010, 10:52 AM
longer walks

this.....i take my dog running about 2 miles a week and if he doesnt want to go back so soon then we go 4 miles and he leads the way home after that.
i would much rather walk him, but he loves to run so it is what it is

The Reckoning
09-23-2010, 12:35 PM

yeah mine loves hiking on the ranch, but he always has to lead. when the little dogs run up to him, he just gives them a nonchalant look like "pfft" and then looks straight ahead :lol but he absolutely hates other dogs that are bigger than him (mastiffs, great danes mostly). he doesnt bark at them, but he gives them the death stare. he's great with people but is kind of skittish around little kids.

he doesnt like deep water either like at the coast, but he'll run through the creek. he's torn up a few armadillos and opossums, but he refuses to go by the cows because they think hes a coyote and chase him...

i can't keep him very often though because of breed restrictions, and in some areas you have to have a ridiculous insurance policy.

Obstructed_View
09-23-2010, 02:13 PM
If the dog isn't ready to go home, it probably means you haven't exercised him enough, and if there's nothing for him to look forward to at home, he won't want to go. You should always feed a dog after a walk, so the dog should be hungry and ready to head home because he knows there's food waiting for him. Those are routines you should make sure to have down before the dog gets too much older. At this point, the dog owns you. That may not be the best situation with a Doberman.

DoubtingThomas
09-23-2010, 02:25 PM
Have you called the dog whisperer?

Cyrano
09-23-2010, 07:40 PM
Stop playing those Justin Bieber albums all the time.

BlairForceDejuan
09-23-2010, 08:10 PM
My dog did the same thing when she was young. Now she is old, and after 1 mile she is crawling back to the house to get some water and lay in the pool. :(

Walk her a longer distance imo.

BlairForceDejuan
09-23-2010, 08:14 PM
also, the little dogs (poodles, chihuahas, etc) always have some kind of napolean complex and run up to him yelping. naturally their owners freak out. i have to walk him super early or at night because so.

Yeah. There are two little twin dogs on the other side of my neighborhood that run at myself and my dog (lab) when we are out walking (open gate). After about 3 trips past them, my dog started taking a big dump right in front of their yard every time lmao. True story.

4>0rings
09-23-2010, 08:37 PM
Chocolate dobbies are some of the best looking dogs.

HarlemHeat37
09-23-2010, 11:01 PM
I'm hoping to get a Doberman soon, I'm waiting for one to come up at a shelter, I don't want to do the whole puppy thing again, I'm currently raising one right now..

As for the problem, OV's post is the most accurate IMO..

I had kind of a similar problem with my pup when he was around 3-4 months old..he loved coming into the house and all, but he wouldn't always follow us to my girlfriend's room when we tried(he sleeps there)..we would put him in the room when we would have to go somewhere and wouldn't be able to bring him with us..so he caught on that going into that room meant that he would have to be alone and wait for us for a few hours..

We started hanging out in the room with him more often..we got him on a routine where we would go straight to the room after walks and feed him there..we would give him treats and toys there more often, instead of leaving..

So the lack of exercise is possible, or unfortunately, he could be associating your house with boredom..

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/6932/007nrj.jpg

Obstructed_View
09-23-2010, 11:51 PM
Yeah. There are two little twin dogs on the other side of my neighborhood that run at myself and my dog (lab) when we are out walking (open gate). After about 3 trips past them, my dog started taking a big dump right in front of their yard every time lmao. True story.

Little dogs have the same instincts as any other dogs, and they're all descended from wolves. Many times small dog owners don't treat their dogs like wolf descendants and as a result little dogs don't understand how to interact with people or other animals. Taking a dump in their yard is absolutely a show of dominance. Unfortunately taking a dump at will during a walk is a sign that the Lab has dominance over the human on the other end of the leash. ;)

HarlemHeat37
09-23-2010, 11:58 PM
I completely agree, and that's part of the reason I can't stand small dogs..it's not their fault, as they obviously didn't raise themselves, but small dog owners seem to make these mistakes a lot(not to generalize or anything)..

What kind of dog(s) do you have, OV?(if any)..

Obstructed_View
09-24-2010, 12:05 AM
I completely agree, and that's part of the reason I can't stand small dogs..it's not their fault, as they obviously didn't raise themselves, but small dog owners seem to make these mistakes a lot(not to generalize or anything)..

What kind of dog(s) do you have, OV?(if any)..

I had to put down my 17 year old Border Collie a few months ago, and I just got a Shepherd/Ridgeback puppy at the humane society this week. The only reason I jumped into this conversation is that I've been consuming every stinking thing I can find on dog behavior to make sure I don't screw up with a seven week old puppy that will be bigger than my kids in a few months.

I'd talk about her more, but she's crying to go out. :lol

Latarian Milton
09-24-2010, 09:07 AM
wear your v-necked pink shirt while doodling with your dog so other peoples focus will be drawn at yourself & your clothes instead of the ugly dog.