PDA

View Full Version : ITW TP After Game 6

leonarth
05-20-2005, 06:45 AM
• May 20, 2005

"With our guts"

Tony, it is done ! Thanks to a last second basket from Tim Duncan, the Spurs are en route for the Western Conference final.

(Tony is extremely calm) It feels very good. It has been two years since we played a conference final, and now, here we are. I am satisfied as we are doing better than last year. We had fought a tough battle against Seattle. Just like the other games, we had to fight tonight to win. When I think back upon it, it was a very close game, this win; we had to get it with our guts.

When we see the intensity of this game, the hits you took, we can understand that you are extremely tired.

I swear I can no longer move. I am exhausted. My knee is making me suffer as well. I am happy that this is over with and now I have one thing to say: GO Mavericks ! (Laughs) Dallas would help us if they can win Game 6 tomorrow night.

If Phoenix wins Friday night, you’d start Game 1 as soon as Sunday…

Yes and it would not give us much time to breath. This is the reason I am behind Dallas. We really need the time off and we are all tired and Tim had another ankle sprain on his left leg. Compared to what he had during the regular season, it is nothing, but he needs to rest. We all got scared when we saw him come down.

Tim Duncan was never in the rhythm with a 6/21 shooting. But as a true champion, he did not miss the most important basket of the night to give the Spurs the much needed win at the last second.

He was not very accurate, but he kept on fighting, did not let go of anything and kept on working on his game. He did suffer from a sprain but it is not too bad and got back to the line to score his two free-throws. He ended the game with a 14/17 and he scored the buckets we needed at the end. He was a true leader.

After Tim’s basket there was 0.5 seconds left to play. Did you think for a second about last year’s Game 4 against the Lakers and Derek Fisher’s shot ?

You got to think about it. Honestly I thought that is was impossible for this to happen twice in a row. Once we were in the locker room we were all happy and relieved.

Seattle did not leave you any room to play.

They defended very well on by blocking my lane to the basket. Like Tim, I fought all game long and at the end I was successful in scoring a few baskets that lifter my team. The jump shot on the left side that enabled us to go up one was very important I could not miss that one.

What is your schedule ?

We will sleep in Seattle and fly back to San Antonio tomorrow (Friday). I am really hoping that Dallas will win as that would enable to spend a much needed few days of rest at home.