PDA

View Full Version : RedState thinks Repug pledge sucks

boutons_deux
09-23-2010, 02:32 PM
it is a serious [sic] of compromises and milquetoast rhetorical flourishes in search of unanimity among House Republicans because the House GOP does not have the fortitude to lead boldly in opposition to Barack Obama.

http://www.redstate.com/erick/2010/09/22/the-republicans-pledge-is-perhaps-the-most-ridiculous-thing-to-come-out-of-washington-since-george-mcclellan/

no "bold opposition" to BO? :lol Repugs are NOTHING BUT OBSTRUCTIONISTS. The BOLD part comes as adjective to LIARS.

ducks
09-23-2010, 03:10 PM
both parties are lies IDIOT

CosmicCowboy
09-23-2010, 03:11 PM
I agree with that article. :toast

boutons_deux
09-23-2010, 03:55 PM
I'm surprised the Repugs even published a policy document. Usually the out-of-power team shuts up, doesn't show its hand.

I doubt the Dems are smart enough or aggressive enough, but they could disembowel the Repugs with this policy garbage, point by point.

The Repugs have nothing new to offer, same old shit, same old obstructionism, same old "destructionism".

They might as well run on the dubya/dickhead accomplishments. :lol

DarrinS
09-23-2010, 04:08 PM
I agree with that article. :toast

Same here. That shit was pretty weak.

Fuck RINOs and Demtards. We need a reset button.

Winehole23
09-23-2010, 05:26 PM
We need a reset button.Voting isn't "reset button" enough for you?

Radical!

redzero
09-23-2010, 05:29 PM
"Repug" gets funnier every time you use it.

ElNono
09-23-2010, 07:03 PM
Steele needs to go...

Yonivore
09-23-2010, 07:15 PM
The Pledge nails the agenda perfectly.

Restarting the Economic Engine and Obamacare are the top two planks in the Republican's Pledge to America...

Why?

Obamacare's Electoral Effect (http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/obamacares-electoral-effect)

Supporting Obama's health care plan has hurt Democrats.

A recent New York Times/CBS News poll shows, among other things, that more than twice as many Americans “strongly disapprove” of Obamacare (34 percent) as “strongly approve” of it (15 percent). Moreover, the poll shows that the vast majority — 82 percent — of those who disapprove of Obamacare (whether strongly or otherwise) want it to be repealed. In response to the poll, Politico opines that the “big takeaway…is just how much health reform has fallen off the radar as a 2010 campaign issue, not offering much of clear benefit to either party.” Wow.

The Most Important Issue to Independents (http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/most-important-issue-independents)

What’s the one issue that independent voters most strongly demand that a candidate get right? According to a survey of 1,000 independents (and likely voters) recently conducted by Democratic pollster Douglas Schoen and commissioned by Independent Women’s Voice, the answer isn’t “national security,” “taxes,” “immigration,” “the size of government and its level of spending,” “putting a mosque near Ground Zero,” “the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan,” or “the stimulus and bailouts” — all of which were listed as options. Rather, the answer is “health care reform.”

Nearly half (48 percent) of all independent voters said that even if a candidate otherwise held perfect views (in the eyes of the voter) — even if they “agreed with him on all other issues” (italics added) — they still couldn’t vote for him “if [they] disagreed with him on health care reform.” (Another 13 percent weren’t sure whether they could abide such a costly error in judgment or not.)

And what must the candidate’s position on health-care reform be? For 83 percent of the respondents who said their vote would hang in the balance, the candidate must oppose Obamacare. So, according to the survey, if you support Obamacare, you’ve just lost 40 percent (83 percent of 48 percent) of the independent vote — before any other issue is even addressed.

Democrats guess wrong on health care (http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0910/42588.html)

Rarely have so many political strategists been so wrong about something so big.

But when it comes to the health care bill, everyone from former President Bill Clinton on down whiffed on some of the more significant predictions.

Democrats would run aggressively on the legislation? Nope. Voters would forget about the sausage-making aspects of the legislative process? Doesn’t seem that way, as the process contributed to the sense that the bill was deeply flawed.

Democrats Fleeing Obamacare (http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/democrats-fleeing-obamacare)

Politico writes, "[I]t appears that no Democratic incumbent – in the House or in the Senate – has run a pro-reform TV ad since April, when Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) ran one."

If you think about it, this is really quite incredible: 279 Democrats, House and Senate included, voted for Obamacare, and not one of them has been willing to publicize that fact in a single TV spot over the past four months in the midst of a congressional campaign? Apparently, the only Democrat who's running pro-Obamacare TV ads is President Obama, and he's funding them with your money.

Democrats have spent the last year assuming the Tea Party protests and rallies were astroturfed or full of loyal party plants because, well, that's how Democrats gin up their public displays of support.

The mistake will cost them in November...

ChumpDumper
09-23-2010, 07:24 PM
It wasn't guessing.

Democrats knew what they were getting into when they voted. Now they are too chicken to vote on anything else.

boutons_deux
09-23-2010, 08:04 PM
If Yoni approves, you know it sucks. :lol

dubya on Mt Rushmore, dubya as one of the greatest presidents, Iraq was legit invasion, etc, etc. Yoni's as wrong as William Kristol on every damn thing. :lol

ElNono
09-23-2010, 09:48 PM
Looks like a knee-jerk pledge... No long term goals and plans. Bitch about spending and debt then suggests tax cuts without explaining how they're going to pay for them (really?)... I expected better rhetoric from these guys.

boutons_deux
09-23-2010, 10:29 PM
They're too chicken shit to put in paper, but all the Repug lealership and tea bagger candidates are saying:

privatize VA

privatize Medicare

privatize Medicaid

privatize Soc Security

They won't put it on paper because all the above work, and are extremely popular. dubya already got his ass kicked trying privatize Soc Sec, and that was before Wall St was unequivocally exposed as bankrupt (still!) Fraud St, a den of thieves.

Winehole23
09-24-2010, 12:56 AM
Looks like a knee-jerk pledge... No long term goals and plans. Bitch about spending and debt then suggests tax cuts without explaining how they're going to pay for them (really?)... I expected better rhetoric from these guys.It's right up there with the blank budget. Lame to the nth.

boutons_deux
09-24-2010, 05:55 AM
"Below is a list of words and phrases and the number of times they are each mentioned in the 45-page "Pledge."

Wall Street: 0
Bank: 0
Finance: 0
Mortgage crisis: 0
Derivative: 0
Subprime: 0
Lobbying: 0
Lobbyist: 0
K Street: 0
Campaign finance: 0
Campaign contribution: 0
Campaign donation: 0
Disclosure: 0
Climate change: 0
Environment: 1 ("political environment")
Alternative energy: 0
Renewable: 0
Green: 0
Transportation: 0
Infrastructure: 0
Poverty: 0
Food: 0
Food safety: 0
Housing: 0
Internet: 0
Education: 0
College: 0
Reading: 0
Science: 0
Research: 0
Technology: 0
Bush administration: 0"

http://motherjones.com/mojo/2010/09/gop-pledge-whats-not-it

=======
Yeah, it's a loaded joke, but a good one. :lol

JoeChalupa
09-24-2010, 10:54 AM
The GOP said the same things before under their so called "contract with America" and then went on a spending spree like there was not tomorrow. Well tomorrow finally arrived and we are in mess right now.

boutons_deux
09-24-2010, 12:51 PM
Stewart ridicules the Repugs with their own videos:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/09/24/stewart-gop-pledge-america_n_737812.html

Yonivore
09-24-2010, 10:02 PM
Bitch about spending and debt then suggests tax cuts without explaining how they're going to pay for them (really?)...
Tax Cuts don't cost anything...it's the spending stupid.

Repealing Obamacare would account for much of the savings. Then, there's their pledge to cut government, freeze budgets, etc...

You "pay" for tax cuts by spending less.

The tax cuts will generate more wealth in the private sector, restart the economic engine, and finally get people to let go of some of the money they've been hoarding in fear of what Obama's next stupid human trick was going to be.

ElNono
09-24-2010, 10:17 PM
Tax Cuts don't cost anything...it's the spending stupid.

No, the tax cuts do cost real money. Unless you can make it up in any other way, you're simply adding it to the debt. Don't need to be a brainiac to figure that one out.

Repealing Obamacare would account for much of the savings.

As bad as Obamacare is, as far as government obligations is concerned, it would actually reduce spending. You can tell me the CBO doesn't know how to do math or that the projections are dubious, but what's indisputable is that going back to pre-Obamacare will still leave you with an unsustainable system and no reduction in obligations.

Then, there's their pledge to cut government, freeze budgets, etc...
You "pay" for tax cuts by spending less.

The pledge means nothing when the record shows they don't have the fortitude to come through with it. How quickly you forget Congress was in full control of a lot of these guys merely 4 years ago.

The tax cuts will generate more wealth in the private sector, restart the economic engine, and finally get people to let go of some of the money they've been hoarding in fear of what Obama's next stupid human trick was going to be.

Ahh... the famous trickle down economics... We just had 8 years of that, tax cuts included. Where's the thriving economy it produced? Oh wait, it ended on a huge fucking recession. It worked so well, let's do it again!

And BTW, you confirm my impression of the pledge. Complete knee-jerk touching on all the contemporary talking points with no long term outlook or proposals.

ChumpDumper
09-24-2010, 10:19 PM
Tax Cuts don't cost anything.Just your children's future. Is worshiping the rich really that important to you?

Yonivore
09-24-2010, 10:24 PM
Okay, you win...even though, you, Obama and a few other idiots are the only people claiming a raise in taxes is a good idea right now.

Frankly, I don't have the energy to waste on you on this one.

ElNono
09-24-2010, 10:29 PM
Okay, you win...even though, you, Obama and a few other idiots are the only people claiming a raise in taxes is a good idea right now.

Frankly, I don't have the energy to waste on you on this one.

I don't know if this was directed at me, but if it was, I'm merely going to point out that my problem isn't with proposing a tax cut. My problem is with not saying where the money is going to come from to offset the lost revenue, considering these guys simply can't be trusted to reduce spending.

Yonivore
09-24-2010, 10:34 PM
I don't know if this was directed at me, but if it was, I'm merely going to point out that my problem isn't with proposing a tax cut. My problem is with not saying where the money is going to come from to offset the lost revenue, considering these guys simply can't be trusted to reduce spending.

Well, it's going to have to come from spending.

Tell him what he's won, Johnny!

Yonivore
09-24-2010, 10:40 PM
Oh, and ElNono, do you believe Congress will spend the additional tax revenues responsibly?

I mean, c'mon, several hundred grand to teach Africans how to wash their junk?

ChumpDumper
09-24-2010, 10:47 PM
Yonivore wants black people to die of AIDS.

ElNono
09-24-2010, 11:06 PM
Well, it's going to have to come from spending.
Tell him what he's won, Johnny!

Actually, it comes from debt.

The 'pledge' would be more believable if they would stop pleading, and next time they're in charge they actually do reduce spending and all the other stuff they like to talk about but never do. THEN, once you have an ounce of credibility and some sort of surplus to back up lost revenue, you can talk about tax cuts.

Oh, and ElNono, do you believe Congress will spend the additional tax revenues responsibly?

They probably won't. But I also don't think they'll stop spending, period.
From that perspective, I would rather they actually pay for some of those obligations instead of keep on charging them on the proverbial credit card.

And BTW, this goes beyond parties. Clinton and his goal to close the budgetary gap in times of economic boom was a rarity, IMO.