PDA

View Full Version : Playoff run fun while it lasted for Sonics

Jimcs50
05-20-2005, 07:06 AM
Friday, May 20, 2005 - Page updated at 01:36 a.m.

There wasn't enough time to formulate much of a plan after Tim Duncan had given the Spurs the lead. Just five-tenths of a second remained and midnight was quickly closing in on the Sonics.

Needing a miracle, they turned to Ray Allen, who had guided them through so many obstacles in this improbable season, in which they were picked by many to finish last in the Western Conference.

Allen weaved a course that began beneath the basket and eluded Bruce Bowen through a series of screens before Antonio Daniels delivered him a pass in the corner.

But with Duncan bearing down hard on Allen, who was falling out of bounds, his shot lofted high and drifted to the right, bouncing off the front of the rim.

The miracle never arrived. The Sonics lost 98-96 and San Antonio won the Western Conference semifinal series 4-2 and advanced to the conference finals where it awaits the winner of the Phoenix-Dallas series.

"I just wanted to have my hands in the air," Duncan said. "Close my eyes and hope for the best."

Duncan scored the winning basket with 0.5 seconds left on a play that began with Manu Ginobili at the top of the key. The Spurs guard drove hard to his left in the final seconds.

Sonics reserve center Vitaly Potapenko moved to cut off the Spurs guard and motioned for someone — anyone — to cover Duncan, who cut beneath the rim. Luke Ridnour was the closest around, but the 6-foot-2 guard was in no position to stop the jumper or even commit a hard foul.

"I think I over-committed," said Potapenko, who provided the defensive stand on Duncan in Game 3. "I think I did too much. ... I thought he [Ginobili] was going for a shot and went with him instead of staying home."

Even after Duncan's shot, the Spurs couldn't relax. The Spurs had been on the receiving end of last-second losses before.

A year ago, Derek Fisher needed just two-tenths of a second to break the Spurs hearts. Allen had a little more time and a similar shot, but was off the mark.

"I can't lie to you," San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich said. "I thought L.A. right at the bat."

The Sonics were hopeful.

"We never quit," Daniels told himself seconds before the Sonics' final possession. "We never give up."

Still, the NBA playoffs will continue without the Sonics, who were serenaded by the sold-out crowd of 17,072.

"We gave it all we had," Daniels said. "Everything we had, we gave. ... I got nothing but good things to say about this season and the guys in this locker room."

The Sonics huddled at midcourt, as they had after every game, for the last time. Each of them had a little something to say.

Allen, who wept freely, thanked them for "the best season I've ever had."

"The one thing I did learn is regardless of what they say about us at the beginning of the year, we're the ones who step on the floor and make it happen," he said as he sat at the podium during a teary-eyed postgame interview. "We believed in ourselves. I will always remember that regardless of what somebody says about this team being the underdog, that's what we were every game. All year long.

"We rode out and had fun. We got to this point because we believed in each other and hopefully everybody learned that lesson this year."

A series that favored the home team and swayed after several foot injuries, varied from the script last night.

The Sonics entered the must-win game with a five-game winning streak at home, but played without All-Star forward Rashard Lewis, who sprained his left big toe, and Vladimir Radmanovic, who sprained his right ankle.

Despite that, the Sonics were in position to take the lead with 14.4 seconds remaining. Trailing 96-95, Daniels was fouled on a rebound. But he missed the first free throw, then made the second to tie the score, which set up the Spurs' winning play.

The Spurs had been relatively healthy throughout the series until midway in the fourth quarter when Duncan rolled his left ankle after attempting to leap over Nick Collison and landing on the Sonics forward's foot.

The All-Star forward remained on the court for several long seconds, clutching his foot and writhing in agony.

Still, he scored 10 of his game-high 26 points after suffering the injury and atoned for a missed shot that could have won Game 3 at the buzzer.

Duncan was awful for three quarters as he missed 12 of 13 shots, but scored 12 in the final period and finished with 6-for-21 shooting. He also had nine rebounds and five assists. Tony Parker and Robert Horry added 14 points, Ginobili had 13 and Nazr Mohammed had 12.

Allen had 25 points and Daniels added 22.

Daniels and Allen more than compensated for the absence of Lewis and they were aided by center Jerome James, Ridnour and Wilkins, who each had 10 points.

"I couldn't ask for a better group of guys to play with," Daniels said.

Said Allen: "For it to end like that, so abrupt, was strange. The minute I thought about it, it was over."

Percy Allen: 206-464-2278 or [email protected]

Seattle vs. San Antonio
1 San Antonio 103, Seattle 81
2 San Antonio 108, Seattle 91
3 Seattle 92, San Antonio 91

4 Seattle 101, San Antonio 89
5 San Antonio 103, Seattle 90

6 San Antonio 98, Seattle 96

Copyright © 2005 The Seattle Times Compa

Jimcs50
05-20-2005, 07:08 AM
Sonics season ends in heartbreak
Duncan's last-second shot wins it for Spurs

By DANNY O'NEIL
SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER REPORTER

Ray Allen stood in the corner, eyes trained on the rim where the Sonics' season had just caromed off.

His face was blank, registering neither disappointment nor disgust but betraying a disbelief.

His final 3-pointer, taken from the corner while twisting in midair, was off, the electric atmosphere in KeyArena came unplugged and the Sonics' season ended with the sound of the buzzer.

Spurs 98, Sonics 96. Series and season over for Seattle, eliminated 4-2 in the Western Conference semifinals.

"The minute time went off the clock no longer did I think about that shot or that particular game," Allen said. "I think that everything we did during the season kind of flashed through my mind."

A season that started with a 30-point loss on opening night to the Clippers ended with the Sonics standing toe to toe with one of the league's heavyweights, trading the lead nine times in a fourth quarter in which neither team led by more than four points.

"If there's a way we can go out, tonight would be the way," coach Nate McMillan said. "I thought tonight we fought to the end."

Allen scored 25 points and made three 3-pointers, all in the second half. Antonio Daniels had 22 and Jerome James, Luke Ridnour and Damien Wilkins scored 10 points apiece.

The scorebook will show that Tim Duncan won the game with a one-handed shot off the glass. The story was how close Seattle was, playing without Rashard Lewis for the third consecutive game and missing Vladimir Radmanovic most of the series.

"We gave everything we had," McMillan said. "It came down to San Antonio making a hell of a play."

Daniels tied the score when he made one of two free throws with 14.4 seconds left. The Spurs' final play started with Manu Ginobili dribbling the clock inside of six seconds, defended by Daniels.

Ginobili penetrated, and Vitaly Potapenko let Duncan slide from one side of the key to the other, motioning that he was passing Duncan off so he could slide up to contest Ginobili's shot. The problem was it left Duncan defended by Ridnour. Potapenko came back to contest the shot, but said afterward it had been a mistake to give up those steps to Duncan, who took the pass from Ginobili and made a 4-foot shot off the glass.

"I was a little surprised he passed it," Potapenko said of Ginobili.

Duncan scored 12 of his game-high 26 points in the fourth quarter.

Seattle called a timeout. There were five-tenths of a second remaining, one-tenth longer than it took Derek Fisher to spoil the Spurs last season in the Western Conference semifinals.

"I won't lie," San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich said. "All I could think about was the Lakers."

Daniels inbounded the ball to Allen, who turned in midair in the corner as Duncan came out to contest the shot.

"Ray's shot looked pretty good from where I was standing," Popovich said.

But it hit the front of the rim, the crowd exhaled and Allen let out a sigh that will last through the summer.

"That's a shot I'll probably think about a lot this summer," Allen said. "What if that shot went in?"

It would have forced Game 7 on Sunday in San Antonio. Instead, the Sonics will have season-ending meetings today.

"This was the most pleasurable season that I've ever experienced," Allen said. "For it to end like that ... end so abruptly. Then it seemed the minute I sat there and thought about it, it was over."

Afterward, the Sonics drew into a huddle that has become the team's postgame tradition. They stood together closer than ever.

"One last time," forward Danny Fortson said. "You never want it to end like that, but that's life."

Daniels stood staring into the crowd.

"I just thought how far we've come as a team and knowing that would be the last time we're together as a team," he said.

The Sonics made a noble stand.

Down to their last game before elimination, the Sonics came back after twice trailing by eight points in the third quarter and led 73-72 entering the fourth quarter.

Neither team led by more than four points in the final 12 minutes, which were as breathless as an NBA game gets.

For the record, Wilkins' 3-pointer from the corner with 3:27 left in the final period put the Sonics ahead for the last time in the series. Tony Parker's jumper a minute later put San Antonio back on top.

Forward Nick Collison said he will think back to the little things. Not extending out far enough on the 3-pointer Robert Horry hit with less than four minutes to go or the layup he missed when he said he stepped in a pothole, not getting enough spring and coming up short.

"It was just an awkward play," he said. "Your knee just kind of gives out."

It was a down-to-the-wire finish in a game in which neither team led by double figures. The close margin made it more poignant, but also more painful.

"It hurts more, it seems like in these games," Collison said. "But in the end, if you have any pride, you'd rather go out like this. Go out fighting."

Jimcs50
05-20-2005, 07:11 AM
Improbable run ends for label-defying Sonics

By ART THIEL
SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER COLUMNIST

As with everything else that happened this season, it wasn't supposed to work this way.

The presumption entering Game 6 last night at KeyArena was that the Sonics had, through the first five games, fired all they had, exhausting themselves of bitty-ball wizardry, 3-point haymakers and fairy dust.

The San Antonio Spurs were warrior-class dreadnoughts. The Sonics were, well, cute.

After a good first quarter, Ray Allen's legs were fading, his ball-handling erratic. The defensive rotation was a step slow. Most of the loose balls went to the men in black. By halftime, the inevitable was in the air.

But the inevitable did not arrive until a moment after the final buzzer sounded, when a 3-point shot implausibly executed in the last half-second by Allen slid off the front of the rim.

The Spurs go to the Western Conference finals. The Sonics go into club annals as the most improbably successful outfit since the title-era teams of the late 1970s.

Not so rich a reward, true, but a whimpering exit it was not.

"If there is a way to go out," said Sonics coach Nate McMillan, "that's the way I'd draw it up."

Clear-eyed and proud, McMillan was anything but crushed after a 98-96 loss ended the season and opened the hoops world to his legitimacy as a coach and his team's unlikely effectiveness that exceeded the sum of its parts.

"Our guys committed all season to playing the game the right way," he said. "They committed to sacrificing parts of their games for the team."

They also committed last night to going down noisily. Rather than succumb to a runaway by the favored team popular lately in loser-out series games, the Sonics hammered away in a second half that was brutishly brilliant for both teams.

Perhaps since Ichiro Suzuki was among the witnesses, the Sonics apparently decided to show the Mariners star what 262 hits looked like all at once.

The Sonics chipped, banged and whaled. The wildness reached its apex early in the third quarter when technical fouls were imposed almost back to back to Antonio Daniels and McMillan for complaints about fouls uncalled. A water bottle thrown by a stupid fan sailed onto the court near the Spurs bench.

Even Sonics owner Howard Schultz compounded the mayhem, throwing three overheated, overhand rights in the refs' direction in misplaced sideline fury.

But the intensity energized the Sonics. They took back the lead late in the third period, and neither team had a lead larger than four points the rest of the way.

The decisive moment was given over to the Spurs' two all-stars. Coming out of a 96-96 tie and a timeout with 14 seconds left, guard Manu Ginobili began a drive that turned into a laser pass to forward Tim Duncan. Struggling all game from the field (he missed 15 of 21 shots), Duncan demonstrated why he has been an eight-time all-NBA first-team selection, despite twisting an ankle with eight minutes left in the game.

Over Vitaly Potapenko, inserted after Jerome James fouled out, Duncan lofted a 5-foot lob that ended the throb.

"It came down to a helluva play," said McMillan. "It's not the way we wanted it to end. We weren't prepared to end the season tonight, but Manu threaded the needle with the pass they had to have."

The stunner drew down the noise, since only a half-second remained. The roar returned when Allen, after a timeout, somehow arched the game-winning attempt from the corner over Duncan, the NBA's most formidable defender. Upon the arrival of the inevitable, the crowd roused itself for a warm ovation of appreciation.

The salute extended to the Spurs.

"They were fantastic in everything they did, and we are thrilled that we escaped the series," said Spurs coach Gregg Popovich. "That's what we did, we escaped. They deserve a lot of credit for going through what they did here at the end."

Without Rashard Lewis, without Vladimir Radmanovic, and pulling big minutes from little-used reserves such as Damien Wilkins, the Sonics pushed the two-time champions to a limit seen as improbable just last week when they fell into a 0-2 hole against the Spurs

In last week's Sports Illustrated, a poll question answered by 227 NBA players identified Lewis has the league's most underrated player. Allen was in the top five of the voting. If the question had been asked about the most underrated team, the Sonics would have been the landslide winner.

After 11 games of high hoops entertainment in the postseason, the Sonics were nobody's surprise, nobody's joke and every hoop maven's idea of how pro ball should be played.

They believed themselves capable of winning more games, but they achieved something even more elusive in pro sports: The Sonics reached their full potential.

Jimcs50
05-20-2005, 07:13 AM
Even Sonics owner Howard Schultz compounded the mayhem, throwing three overheated, overhand rights in the refs' direction in misplaced sideline fury.

Is it me, or is this guy a major asshole?

His antics on the sidelines in the 4th Q, makes Cuban look like he has class in comparison.
:flipoff

Useruser666
05-20-2005, 07:52 AM
Allen, who wept freely, thanked them for "the best season I've ever had."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

bigbendbruisebrother
05-20-2005, 09:27 AM
Bye bye Sonics. Enjoy your offseason dismantling.

Some things so much clearer
Once you
Were in my
rearviewmirror....

--Pearl Jam

MannyIsGod
05-20-2005, 09:34 AM
If I had Jerome James' address I'd send him a ton of trashbags.

SWC Bonfire
05-20-2005, 10:07 AM
Said Allen: "For it to end like that, so abrupt, was strange. The minute I thought about it, it was over."

http://www.mikelief.com/archives/FatLadySings-thumb.jpg

Have fun watching the next round in a hotel room in Vegas, Ray.

nkdlunch
05-20-2005, 11:18 AM
The San Antonio Spurs were warrior-class dreadnoughts. The Sonics were, well, cute.

Seattle Press >>>>>> Denver Press

DDS4
05-20-2005, 11:26 AM
Seattle Press >>>>>> Denver Press

Seattle fans <<<<< anybody else

Classless cheering/booing with TD's injury and the idiot that threw the water bottle.

DDS4
05-20-2005, 11:32 AM
Now we have to deal wth either the Suns or Mavs owner. Cuban or the nobody.

Robert Sarver?

Isn't he the ass that called the Spurs "chicken" during a regular season game because Tim and Manu sat out?

MadDog73
05-20-2005, 12:23 PM
What's with these crazy owners?!? You should not be a drunk bafoon, you should be a symbol of how you want your team to act.

Solid D
05-20-2005, 12:24 PM
http://www.mikelief.com/archives/FatLadySings-thumb.jpg

Have fun watching the next round in a hotel room in Vegas, Ray.

Great pic SWC Bonfire!

sa_butta
05-20-2005, 12:35 PM
If I had Jerome James' address I'd send him a ton of trashbags.:lmao

Hook Dem
05-20-2005, 12:37 PM
Fun= http://img257.echo.cx/img257/6281/srs66yx.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us)

Slomo
05-20-2005, 02:38 PM
http://www.cikava.com/gallery/albums/album04/Pinguin_folgado.gif

SWC Bonfire
05-20-2005, 02:47 PM
Great pic SWC Bonfire!

Well, you know, I have a whole stash of magazines where that came from... I wonder who's going to be the centerfold of Wagner's Germanic Foxes this next month... :lol

smeagol
05-20-2005, 03:00 PM
Why are rich NBA team owners such a-holes?

One worst the the other.