PDA

View Full Version : New Manu Interview

ElNono
09-23-2010, 09:33 PM
The original article is in Spanish (link (http://www.canchallena.com/1307591)).
Here's the translation:

"Some people watched a World Championship for the first time and come out saying Ginóbili doesn't play because he's a mercenary"

Manu spoke about some reproaches he received for not going to Turkey and reiterated his goal is to play in the 2012 London Olympics; said when his NBA career is over he'll live in Argentina

Emanuel Ginóbili is already in San Antonio and is starting to train for what looks to be another tough NBA season. This time, Manu rested in the offseason and took care of his body. He decided not to play the World Championship in Turkey and let his goodbye to the national team happen in the 2012 London Olympics. At 33 years old, he says his options are not the same as when he was 25. During the World Championship some reproaches were heard about his absence, something that didn't sit well with him.

"I know what I gave, give and will keep on giving to the national team. There's some people that watched basketball during the World Championships for the first time and say Ginóbili doesn't play because he's a mercenary. They don't know the amount of work I did, and will do the next two years to be in London 2012. Doesn't matter though, I'll take the criticism and whatever else they throw at me", said Ginóbili in an interview with the Basta de Todo radio show.

"I want to play in London and today my body doesn't let me skip three vacations in a row to play for the national team. I'm not 25 years old anymore, when I used to be able to play everything. I had to make a difficult decision and I did", added Manu.

Ginóbili reiterated that he wants to play the Pre-Olympic tournament in Mar del Plata next year that will qualify two teams to the London Olympics and in which Team USA will not participate because they qualified automatically after winning the World Championship. "I want to play in my country. It's going to be awesome.", said Manu.

Ginóbili knows he's in the final stage of his career and analyzes his return to Argentina after having children this year: "With my wife we always thought we're going to end up in Argentina, very likely in Bahia Blanca. I don't know what the future holds for me. Sometimes I say I would like to get into politics to change something and sometimes I don't feel like getting into those kind of things".

About the upcoming NBA season, Manu said: "It will be a tough season like always. We're starting with two-a-day training sessions Tuesday. In the west everything is difficult, but we always have a chance so we need to take advantage of that".

ezau
09-23-2010, 09:39 PM
Politico Manu

toki9
09-23-2010, 11:39 PM
How can any Argentinian (Argentine?) complain about Manu's contribution to the national team? After all he's done? That boggles my mind.

ElNono
09-23-2010, 11:41 PM
How can any Argentinian (Argentine?) complain about Manu's contribution to the national team? After all he's done? That boggles my mind.

Controversy sells...

spurs10
09-23-2010, 11:59 PM
I'm not Argentinian, but I'd vote for him if he ran for office. Manu seems to quite just and forthright, on and off the court. Every political comment I've heard him make has been dead on in my book. As for any of his countrymen talking him down, they must not have watched the 2004 Olympics. Thanks for the interview!

Blackjack
09-24-2010, 12:08 AM
You da man, Nono! :toast

ezau
09-24-2010, 03:12 AM
Argentina is the only country outside of the US, Yugoslavia, and USSR to win an Olympic Gold Medal. That's one hell of an accomplishment and that wouldn't have been possible without Manu

ALVAREZ6
09-24-2010, 11:59 AM
Yeah I wasn't aware he received criticism for not playing, whoever had those thoughts is a moron.

TMTTRIO
09-25-2010, 12:51 AM
I have seen quite a few comments on his facebook page calling him a traitor for staying home and being with his boys and that he shouldn't come back (quite a few after Argentina lost). Nice article. I always thought Manu wanted to continue to be involved at least with basketball and his NT in some way, but I also think he would be a good politician.

MmP
09-25-2010, 01:47 AM
i guess the same passion that drives argies to be great sportmen is what drives them to be morons sometimes

urunobili
09-25-2010, 03:17 AM
This is not an article written BY Manu though. Thanks for the translation ElNono