PDA

View Full Version : Nba rules expanded ..........

Purch
09-24-2010, 08:28 AM
Referees have been instructed to call a technical for:

• Players making aggressive gestures, such as air punches, anywhere on the court.

• Demonstrative disagreement, such as when a player incredulously raises his hands, or smacks his own arm to demonstrate how he was fouled.

• Running directly at an official to complain about a call.

• Excessive inquiries about a call, even in a civilized tone.

In addition, referees have been instructed to consider calling technicals on players who use body language to question or demonstrate displeasure, or say things like, "Come on!" They can also consider technicals for players who "take the long path to the official", walking across the court to make their case.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5609817

Giuseppe
09-24-2010, 08:32 AM
If they don't renege & scrap it before Xmas I'll be amazed.

Ace
09-24-2010, 08:40 AM
Bullshit rules if you ask me. Basically they want the players to show no emotion or reaction.

scampers
09-24-2010, 08:46 AM
Good thing Sheed retired.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-24-2010, 08:46 AM
Good rules if they actually enforce them, but bullshit they'll actually call Kobe or Lebron for T's when they whine.

Venti Quattro
09-24-2010, 08:50 AM
Kobe's gonna be suspended before the All-Star break.

Ace
09-24-2010, 08:55 AM
I'm all for the whining being ruled against but you can't expect no emotion from the players.

Ashy Larry
09-24-2010, 09:00 AM
They want fuckin' robots out there ..... you get a phantom call via a flop and you can't show any emotion or protest it? Some refs will fo4get these rules. Other will go by the book and the book pretty much sucks asscrumbs.

Venti Quattro
09-24-2010, 09:03 AM
Saw this posted at REALGM. I crofl'ed.

I think they waited for sheed to retire before they implemented this new series of "rules."

• Players making aggressive gestures, such as air punches, anywhere on the court.
http://wendellwallace.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/rasheed_wallace.jpg

• Demonstrative disagreement, such as when a player incredulously raises his hands, or smacks his own arm to demonstrate how he was fouled.
http://www.wikitree.com/photo.php/7/77/Wallace_Rasheed.jpg
http://www.blogcdn.com/nba.fanhouse.com/media/2010/06/wallace.jpg

http://blog.eastbay.com/shoes/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/721aaf03f0d3c5caa9b00b447a4d417c-getty-101227377cc052_nba_finals_g.jpg

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/0618/pg2_a_rwallace_dcrawford_300s.jpg

Man I am really going to miss Rasheed.

Anyway, it should be a lot of fun seeing the superstars (occasionally) seethe with frustration and hatred. Good times.

MarCowMar
09-24-2010, 09:18 AM
I like that they are cracking down on players actions towards the refs, but I wish they'd allow for more showboating and taunting. That is part of the fun.

Giuseppe
09-24-2010, 09:25 AM
I like that they are cracking down on players actions towards the refs, but I wish they'd allow for more showboating and taunting. That is part of the fun.

I'd rather just see ar'n striving to beat their'n on a match a talent.

Clarity is a superfine thing when it's attained.

Girasuck
09-24-2010, 09:30 AM

DWill is gonna struggle with these two.

Crookshanks
09-24-2010, 10:56 AM
I think this is ridiculous. These things are waaaaay too subjective, and, as was stated a few posts up, the superstars like Kobe and Lebron will rarely get called for these actions, while lesser stars (and rookies) will be racking up techs right and left.

Basketball is a game - and you can't expect the players to be emotionless. Stupid, stupid, stupid decision.

Phillip
09-24-2010, 10:59 AM
this is stupid

JamStone
09-24-2010, 11:10 AM
lol Kobe, LeBron, KG, Duncan, Amare, K-Mart, Pierce, Stephen Jackson... over half the league

Giuseppe
09-24-2010, 11:13 AM
Basketball is a game - and you can't expect the players to be emotionless.

That's wrong headed. Basketball, NBA basketball is a business. That's it, and that's all.

Medvedenko
09-24-2010, 11:30 AM
"Air Punches"

Sheed did get a T a while back for looking at the ref the wrong way.

Trainwreck2100
09-24-2010, 11:52 AM
lol this rule will affect the superstars in no way whatsoever

romsho
09-24-2010, 12:08 PM
Trying to legislate emotion is bad enough, but this pushes the door wide open for point shaving and game fixing. Stern is begging for trouble.

bdictjames
09-24-2010, 12:21 PM
This is stupidity at its finest.

The Franchise
09-24-2010, 12:30 PM
Everything seems to be directed at the players. When are they going to start cracking down on the refs for their horrible officiating? When they blow a certain number of calls they should get fined or suspended. Superstar calls and homecooking would dissappear overnight if it started to affect their livelihood. I guarantee you there would be a lot less whining if games were called fairly every night. Instead Mr. Stern gives these inept son 'o' bitches even more control over the game.

TheMACHINE
09-24-2010, 12:48 PM
might aswell replace players with robots.

duncan228
09-24-2010, 01:45 PM
They want fuckin' robots out there .....

might aswell replace players with robots.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/temp%20duncan%202/robot.jpg

The Franchise
09-24-2010, 02:16 PM
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/temp%20duncan%202/robot.jpg

That looks pretty cool.

monosylab1k
09-24-2010, 02:51 PM
Fuehrer Stern just trying to rule by force as expected.

Nazi Basketball Association.

Medvedenko
09-24-2010, 02:53 PM
Fuehrer Stern just trying to rule by force as expected.

Nazi Basketball Association.

That's a little hyperbolic if you ask me.

HarlemHeat37
09-24-2010, 04:47 PM
These rules are beyond ridiculous, TBH..how can anybody play at a competitive level without demonstrating intense emotions at times?..it's pretty much impossible..it's natural to react in frustration when you're playing at such a high level and you feel like the ref missed a call..

To me, this is more about the NBA continuing their attempts to mask the serious weaknesses of their incompetent refs..by attempting to limit reactions to officials, it makes their incompetence a lot less obvious to the casual fan..

Giuseppe
09-24-2010, 04:49 PM
These rules are beyond ridiculous, TBH..how can anybody play at a competitive level without demonstrating intense emotions at times?..it's pretty much impossible..it's natural to react in frustration when you're playing at such a high level and you feel like the ref missed a call..

To me, this is more about the NBA continuing their attempts to mask the serious weaknesses of their incompetent refs..by attempting to limit reactions to officials, it makes their incompetence a lot less obvious to the casual fan..

If they don't deviate from the decree the adjustment will be accomplished by the mid-way point.

Koolaid_Man
09-24-2010, 08:15 PM
Referees have been instructed to call a technical for:

In addition, referees have been instructed to consider calling technicals on players who use body language to question or demonstrate displeasure, or say things like, "Come on!" They can also consider technicals for players who "take the long path to the official", walking across the court to make their case.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5609817

Kobe should be fine with this rule...as most of his T's are done in a purposeful and methodical manner...He will clap his hands at the ref or yell right in their faces...or throw them the finger...The only ones that will have real issues with this are the half-steppers like Lebron and Wade...they're semi-tough guys and they pussy foot...

Koolaid_Man
09-24-2010, 08:21 PM
Kobe should be fine with this rule...as most of his T's are done in a purposeful and methodical manner...He will clap his hands at the ref or yell right in their faces...or throw them the finger...The only ones that will have real issues with this are the half-steppers like Lebron and Wade...they're semi-tough guys and they pussy foot...

w6rl4-7YtXo

Koolaid_Man
09-24-2010, 08:34 PM
Bullshit rules if you ask me. Basically they want the players to show no emotion or reaction.

I like the rules...:lol

I wonder though if they're going to count Kobe ass pating coaches as a technical...especially if the coach enjoys it as much as Gentry did...

ezau
09-24-2010, 08:50 PM
I didn't know that a Jew like Stern would become neo-Nazi. DOK and BadOdor would be ecstatic when they learn about this.

Jt.ONE
09-24-2010, 09:53 PM
Saw this posted at REALGM. I crofl'ed.

rasheed is king, TBH

Jacob1983
09-24-2010, 11:11 PM
Classic Stern at his best is what this is. How long will this last? Will these new rules about technical fouls apply to the Heat especially Lebron, Wade, and Bosh? So Stern wants players to be like robots and not show any emotion? Is he going to start making players take pills that block emotions and feelings?

http://jackasscritics.com/images/movies/equilibrium_01.jpg

duncan228
10-01-2010, 04:40 PM
Fines for technical fouls to double this season (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-technicalfouls)

Technical fouls will become twice as expensive this season.

The NBA informed teams that fines for technicals will double from last season’s amounts in a memo, the contents of which were confirmed to The Associated Press on Friday.

Players and coaches will now be docked $2,000 for each of their first five technical fouls. The costs rise to $3,000 for the next five, followed by $4,000 for Nos. 11-15. Starting at 16, players are suspended one game for every two technicals, along with $5,000 for each.

The number of technicals could rise this season with the NBA seeking to halt complaining about calls. They will now call technicals for overt gestures, such as punching the air in anger, even if it’s not directed at a referee.

narmerguy
10-01-2010, 05:13 PM
Just have to hate the freaking blatant underhanded corruption.

z0sa
10-01-2010, 06:01 PM

It's become quite obvious. Hiding their either incompetent or meddling ways is all the NBA cares about, understandably.

TD 21
10-01-2010, 06:23 PM
This league and their obsession with policing things that don't need to be policed.

No league receives more unfair criticism than the NBA. But, whether unfair or not, they receive heaps of it all they same and one of the things they receive it for is, too many games (supposedly) it looks like a lot of the players don't care.

So now, instead of allowing them to show emotion and show that they care, they want them to act like passionless robots who don't give a damn? I don't get it. Are they unaware that they're only going to perpetuate that notion or are they so intent on not having a bunch of big, (supposedly) intimidating looking "black" guys angry that their need to not have that supersedes wanting to dispel the notion that too many of their players don't give a damn?

Reigning in incessant complaining is one thing, doing away with natural human reactions is another. Too bad if some in white America don't like the sight of a bunch of big, (supposedly) intimidating black guys getting angry. The league should be more focused on the fans they do have and less focused on catering to the ones who aren't going to care either way.

Red Hawk #21
10-02-2010, 02:04 PM
Stern is making things more and more annoying, now he won't even let the players show emotion? I wonder what's next?