PDA

View Full Version : Bowen on Tiago

nbaman99
09-24-2010, 11:25 AM
Former San Antonio Spurs player, Bruce Bowen, is participating in a basketball clinic in Rio de Janeiro and spoke with globoesporte.globo.com, to discuss his thoughts on Tiago Splitter, being considered a "dirty" player in the NBA, and more. Please excuse the rough translation.

http://www.projectspurs.com/2010-articles/september/bowen-qit-will-be-a-smooth-transition-for-tiagoq.html

Juanobili
09-24-2010, 11:35 AM
that was hard to read :/

ohmwrecker
09-24-2010, 12:56 PM
Damn, Garcia! Can you not translate better than that?! Horrible.

mountainballer
09-24-2010, 01:10 PM
jesus. what a shame for any writer.
"Please excuse the rough translation provided by Google Translate."
ah yes. ever heard that it's not forbidden for an author of an "article" to correct a translation of a web tool, especially when the generated translation doesn't make any sense at all.
("In some cases, the Gregg Popovich did not draw a move for me, but some do.").
if you are to lazy to edit the Google translation, don't wirte such stuff at all.

(btw. Garcia? is this the guy from Spursreport?)

G-Dawgg
09-24-2010, 01:47 PM
No, 'Garza' was the dude from SR and I don't think he woulda done garbage like this....

Spurs Brazil
09-24-2010, 05:43 PM
That was a really good interview with Bruce.

Too bad he isn't coming to Sao Paulo. I'd like to meet him.

diego
09-24-2010, 06:03 PM
too bad you didnt get the chance spurs brazil, that would have been awesome

any chance you could paraphrase what bruce said? the most interesting parts at least?

thanks either way

SplitterHook
09-25-2010, 01:45 AM
Hello guys!

I'm going to translate bowen's interview as best as I can. Wait some minutes and I'll edit this post.

Edited:

Q: You were one of the best defenders in the NBA and sometimes the players you guarded even accused you of being dirty... Are you trying to teach this (defense) to the kids here?

A: I try to teach them everything. You need to work on everything that you can use on the court on the decisive moments. I hit some big shots because I was in the court. Sometimes Popovich wouldn't design a play for me but sometimes he would. If you're there playing then you'll have the opportunity to make some special things. So, you need to find the part of the game where you excel. For it was the Defense. I was able to do other things in the court because my defensive game allowed me to do, to be there playing decisive minutes... Today not many people defend like I used to do, so, of course, this (defense) can be an opportunity for these kids.

Q: When Popovich came back from his vacation and talked about Splitter he said exactly what you just said. He said that Tiago needs to find his role on the team. He cited you, said you used to shoot from some places of the court but from different places it would be better for you to just walk away...

A: (laughs) It's true. It's going to be an easy transition for Tiago. He's already accustomed at playing in high level environment. Beyond that he can play without pressure of doing too much, without the pressure of being to 'go-to' guy. He can turn to Duncan and ask: "hey tim, what I should do here?". Then Tim will help him. Tiago's lucky for having a future HOFer that can guide him.

http://s.glbimg.com/es/ge/f/300x230/2010/09/23/brucebowenronharperdeebrown_gcom62.jpg

Q: San Antonio is known for opening its doors for foreign players, even Ginóbli became a star there. Since you know a lot about the Spurs, do you think its the perfect franchise for Tiago to shine?

A: I think that before anything the Spurs' success going to let Tiago satisfied (I think he means that Spurs being a successful franchise will relieve the pressure on Tiago to make a 'splash' already in his first year. I.E. it'll give him time to adapt his game).

They know who he's and the Spurs will make things easier for him. What matter the most is letting him comfortable, in a position where he can contribute to the team. Who knows what else he can do? It'll depend on his learning process... An example: The game isn't as physical in the NBA (less contact) as it's in FIBA. He'll need to dosage his intensity. He still needs to bring a high dose of energy for every game but he'll need to be more cautious.

Q: You played until last year. Do you already miss the NBA?

A: Actually no. I'm having fun. Now I can spend more time with my family. I can do more things with them. Also I work as a commentator so I can still follow and talk about basketball...

Q: You don't even play some for-fun games with friends?

A: Nothing! The only guys that I play with are my children (Ojani, 5YO, and Ozmel, 3 YO).. Just fooling around with my kids, you know...

(My note: what ugly names for the kids, damn. This guy needs to be sued for having a shit taste for names :lol )

Q: I think you don't guard your kids with the same "intensity" you guarded your former NBA opponents...

A: (laughs). No, I don't guard them as well I used to do in the court...

Q: Also you don't go crazy in a restaurant trying to "guard the waitress" or something like that, do you?

A: (profusely laughing) No! Definitively no!

DrSteffo
09-25-2010, 02:55 AM
Thank you SplitterHook.

BTW I miss Bruce more than ever. I just loved it when soft players like Ray Allen got the Bruce treatment and couldnt take it.

easy7
09-25-2010, 09:19 AM
"see the case of Manu Ginobili, who turned actor there." I wonder if this is related to the HEB tv commercials... :lmao

nbaman99
09-25-2010, 10:27 AM
Hello guys!

I'm going to translate bowen's interview as best as I can. Wait some minutes and I'll edit this post.

Edited:

Q: You were one of the best defenders in the NBA and sometimes the players you guarded even accused you of being dirty... Are you trying to teach this (defense) to the kids here?

A: I try to teach them everything. You need to work on everything that you can use on the court on the decisive moments. I hit some big shots because I was in the court. Sometimes Popovich wouldn't design a play for me but sometimes he would. If you're there playing then you'll have the opportunity to make some special things. So, you need to find the part of the game where you excel. For it was the Defense. I was able to do other things in the court because my defensive game allowed me to do, to be there playing decisive minutes... Today not many people defend like I used to do, so, of course, this (defense) can be an opportunity for these kids.

Q: When Popovich came back from his vacation and talked about Splitter he said exactly what you just said. He said that Tiago needs to find his role on the team. He cited you, said you used to shoot from some places of the court but from different places it would be better for you to just walk away...

A: (laughs) It's true. It's going to be an easy transition for Tiago. He's already accustomed at playing in high level environment. Beyond that he can play without pressure of doing too much, without the pressure of being to 'go-to' guy. He can turn to Duncan and ask: "hey tim, what I should do here?". Then Tim will help him. Tiago's lucky for having a future HOFer that can guide him.

http://s.glbimg.com/es/ge/f/300x230/2010/09/23/brucebowenronharperdeebrown_gcom62.jpg

Q: San Antonio is known for opening its doors for foreign players, even Ginóbli became a star there. Since you know a lot about the Spurs, do you think its the perfect franchise for Tiago to shine?

A: I think that before anything the Spurs' success going to let Tiago satisfied (I think he means that Spurs being a successful franchise will relieve the pressure on Tiago to make a 'splash' already in his first year. I.E. it'll give him time to adapt his game).

They know who he's and the Spurs will make things easier for him. What matter the most is letting him comfortable, in a position where he can contribute to the team. Who knows what else he can do? It'll depend on his learning process... An example: The game isn't as physical in the NBA (less contact) as it's in FIBA. He'll need to dosage his intensity. He still needs to bring a high dose of energy for every game but he'll need to be more cautious.

Q: You played until last year. Do you already miss the NBA?

A: Actually no. I'm having fun. Now I can spend more time with my family. I can do more things with them. Also I work as a commentator so I can still follow and talk about basketball...

Q: You don't even play some for-fun games with friends?

A: Nothing! The only guys that I play with are my children (Ojani, 5YO, and Ozmel, 3 YO).. Just fooling around with my kids, you know...

(My note: what ugly names for the kids, damn. This guy needs to be sued for having a shit taste for names :lol )

Q: I think you don't guard your kids with the same "intensity" you guarded your former NBA opponents...

A: (laughs). No, I don't guard them as well I used to do in the court...

Q: Also you don't go crazy in a restaurant trying to "guard the waitress" or something like that, do you?

A: (profusely laughing) No! Definitively no!

:toast

Chomag
09-25-2010, 12:49 PM
Thanks. Man, I wish he would come back to the Spurs as a trainer or something. It would be awesome to have him hear to teach the Spurs youths.

spurs10
09-25-2010, 02:48 PM
Great translation Splitterhook! Thanks! Yes, we need to hang Bruce's jersey. He was a huge part of all the success....no doubt.

ShoogarBear
09-25-2010, 05:24 PM

:lol

Phenomanul
09-25-2010, 09:17 PM
:wow :wow ShoogarBear sighting..... :wow :wow

The season must be drawing near... off-season hibernation has ended....

elemento
09-25-2010, 09:18 PM
Bruce is the man !!

FilSpursFan
09-25-2010, 10:03 PM
We missed you Bruce! I can't wait for the season..

SplitterHook
09-27-2010, 08:42 PM
^^ I laughed at that question too... Imagine the waitress trying to serve other tables and Bowen "muscle-ing" to stop the waitress. lol

Great translation Splitterhook! Thanks! Yes, we need to hang Bruce's jersey. He was a huge part of all the success....no doubt.
No problem. :)