PDA

View Full Version : Nets moving closer to deal for Carmelo

Gold Tooth Carl
09-24-2010, 12:25 PM
Marc Stein

"Just filed to ESPN.com: Nuggets in "serious" discussions on four-way trade w/New Jersey, Utah and Charlotte that would make Melo a Net"

http://twitter.com/STEIN_LINE_HQ/

but Anthony has already signed off on the deal, according to an NBA source, and it could happen as early as Saturday. Anthony's approval was pivotal in the deal because the Nets wouldn't have agreed to it for a one-year rental.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/2010/09/24/2010-09-24_source_nets_in_serious_talks_to_land_carmelo.ht ml

lefty
09-24-2010, 12:30 PM
LOL Nuggets

Gold Tooth Carl
09-24-2010, 12:32 PM
Proposed deal, according to sources, would bring Derrick Favors, Andrei Kirilenko and multiple first-rounders to DEN for Melo. Link on way

Other contracts would surely be added to make such a deal work but current proposal also would send Devin Harris to CHA and Diaw to UTAH

Ashy Larry
09-24-2010, 12:33 PM
Talking about a four team deal ...... Nets make this trade knowing that Carmelo is not going to sign with them next year, then they are some damn fools.

Nuggets would get back rookie Favors and AK47

Cry Havoc
09-24-2010, 12:34 PM
Proposed deal, according to sources, would bring Derrick Favors, Andrei Kirilenko and multiple first-rounders to DEN for Melo. Link on way

Other contracts would surely be added to make such a deal work but current proposal also would send Devin Harris to CHA and Diaw to UTAH

Utah is going to give up AK-47 for Boris Diaw?

What?

Gold Tooth Carl
09-24-2010, 12:36 PM
And The West gets even weaker

Girasuck
09-24-2010, 12:41 PM
Utah is going to give up AK-47 for Boris Diaw?

What?

AK makes 17 mil, Diaw makes 9 mil. Diaw would fit in our offense nicely. A passing big man that sets excellent picks and can shoot from the outside. I don't mind this deal at all.

Gold Tooth Carl
09-24-2010, 12:48 PM
Oh god, everyone's reminding me Jordan Farmar plays for the Nets. Oh god. about 12 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/teamziller/statuses/25424455716)

http://twitter.com/teamziller

lol

Basketballgirl25
09-24-2010, 12:49 PM
Talking about a four team deal ...... Nets make this trade knowing that Carmelo is not going to sign with them next year, then they are some damn fools.

Nuggets would get back rookie Favors and AK47

From what I read Nets wouldn't make this deal unless Melo is coming with a extension, so I'm thinking not extension Melo won't be coming to the Nets.

elemento
09-24-2010, 12:55 PM
Nets won't touch this deal unless Melo signs an extension. They're not that dumb.

If they lose Harris, i think many people will be surprised by Farmar. He didn't fit the Lakers triangle, but i do think he will fit well in NJ. He is a good player IMO

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-24-2010, 12:55 PM
can shoot from the outside.
Have you ever watched Doris play?

JamStone
09-24-2010, 01:12 PM
Yeah, I can't imagine giving up both Harris and Favors for a one season rental.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-24-2010, 01:14 PM
Idk why Melo would want this. He'd just move from having no help in Denver to having no help in Jersey.

JamStone
09-24-2010, 01:18 PM
Idk why Melo would want this. He'd just move from having no help in Denver to having no help in Jersey.

Pussy owns him. Lala wants to be back in New York.

DPG21920
09-24-2010, 01:30 PM
Murphy/Lopez/Williams > Nene/Martin/Smith IMO.

DPG21920
09-24-2010, 01:31 PM
Plus, this owner will spend and add pieces going forward.

picc84
09-24-2010, 01:41 PM
Jordan Farmar's master plan in effect.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-24-2010, 01:46 PM
Murphy/Lopez/Williams > Nene/Martin/Smith IMO.
You're forgetting about Billups, but for some reason I completely forgot Lopez who is instantly by far the best young sidekick Melo has ever had, so I agree.

DPG21920
09-24-2010, 01:47 PM
Well we knew the Nets were going to be active. They want to turn things around quickly and they struck out in FA. Grabbing Melo would be about as good as they could have hoped for via FA anyways and they don't have to give up all that much as Harris is average and Favors is unknown. Even if Favors meets expectations he still won't be a better talent than Melo, so there are not a lot of risks there and in fact, by trading potential for proven, they have mitigated risks and improved their chances at winning.

DPG21920
09-24-2010, 01:49 PM
You're forgetting about Billups, but for some reason I completely forgot Lopez who is instantly by far the best young sidekick Melo has ever had, so I agree.

I did not forget about Billups I was just looking at the front lines. Billups is decent, but the Nets are in a position to obtain a pg via trade or FA next season.

noob cake
09-24-2010, 01:49 PM
Farmar is going to be the Nets starting PG if this goes down. Scary thought.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-24-2010, 01:51 PM
And Murphy isn't a bad PF for the time being. I also forgot they have Anthony Morrow now who I've always been a huge fan of.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-24-2010, 01:51 PM
Coming from the guy with Kyle Lowry in his avatar.

DPG21920
09-24-2010, 01:58 PM
Nets still have some glaring holes. They lack depth at the pf/c position. Petro & Humphries will not cut it. Plus, in order to trade, Murphy is their biggest trade chip as an expiring contract, but that would hurt their depth even more.

They have too many SF's and this makes the Outlaw signing look bad. Then they drafted Damion James.

They PG position is weak, but I don't think Farmar is a huge drop off from Harris although many will disagree.

The starters and depth (w the exception of pg, pf & c) look good though.

Basketballgirl25
09-24-2010, 01:58 PM

Him or T-Will could be

DPG21920
09-24-2010, 02:00 PM
T-Will showed some decent flashes at pg, but not sure if he could do it full time.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-24-2010, 02:03 PM
PG won't be a huge issue (we all know I think that but still). If Morrow can take the next step, Melo can be Melo, and Lopez can get a little better, who they have at PG won't be an issue on offense.

Basketballgirl25
09-24-2010, 02:06 PM
T-Will showed some decent flashes at pg, but not sure if he could do it full time.

Oh I don't think he could do it full time, but if they really needed someone as PG they could because he can play PG

noob cake
09-24-2010, 02:13 PM
Coming from the guy with Kyle Lowry in his avatar.

Yes, that is indeed Kyle Lowry, the best Rockets PG

Cry Havoc
09-24-2010, 02:20 PM
AK makes 17 mil, Diaw makes 9 mil. Diaw would fit in our offense nicely. A passing big man that sets excellent picks and can shoot from the outside. I don't mind this deal at all.

How many teams do you know of that can let go of their best defender and possibly their best rebounder per minute and actually improve?

What is Diaw going to do for the team that AK doesn't do 5 times better?

NuGGeTs-FaN
09-24-2010, 02:22 PM
Nice......

Favors/picks is all i care about.......

Ak47 i cant stand but i guess ill have to learn to love him for 1 year in Denver :lol

DPG21920
09-24-2010, 02:25 PM
I guess Utah is about saving money (are they even going to in this deal?) and this opens up time for Hayward.

Cry Havoc
09-24-2010, 03:10 PM
I guess Utah is about saving money (are they even going to in this deal?) and this opens up time for Hayward.

With one of the two best point guards in the league, they need to do something to contend. Deron Williams is good enough that he sets you up for some championship runs if you can put the pieces around him. I don't see this as a good move unless they are planning to land someone HUGE that can give them a defensive stopper and a primary scorer to go with D-Will.

Cry Havoc
09-24-2010, 03:31 PM
Jersey could make some noise if they pulled this trade off.

Yeah: "HA-HA WE'RE A 7 SEED IN THE EAST."

Giuseppe
09-24-2010, 04:51 PM
It'd get Kirilenko in motion outside of Sloan's control. We could snag him later on.

Jloyola
09-24-2010, 04:51 PM
These young superstars are afraid to compete in the same conference with Kobe and the Lakers!!!

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-24-2010, 04:53 PM
These young superstars are afraid to compete in the same conference with Kobe and the Lakers!!!
No things are just rounding back into pre-Jordan form. Every team in the West outside of LA sucks, and the Eastern teams are the only teams that try to get better.

21_Blessings
09-24-2010, 04:58 PM
No things are just rounding back into pre-Jordan form. Every team in the West outside of LA sucks, and the Eastern teams are the only teams that try to get better.

Except the West annually fields numerous 50 win playoff teams. Which sort of destroys that argument.

Just goes to show how the Lakers are on a completely different level than the rest of the league. Dynasty mode been turned on.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-24-2010, 04:59 PM
Except the West annually fields numerous 50 win playoff teams. Which sort of destroys that argument.

Just goes to show how the Lakers are on a completely different level than the rest of the league. Dynasty mode been turned on.
I'm not trying to discount LA I'm just saying that outside of the Lakers the Western conference is getting shittier every year.

HarlemHeat37
09-24-2010, 05:01 PM
21 Blessings is the douchiest person I've ever been in contact with, TBCH..

Thankfully he won't ever post on ST again after this June, IMO..

Giuseppe
09-24-2010, 05:02 PM
21 Blessings is the douchiest person I've ever been in contact with, TBCH..

That's just The Skunker in ya talkin', Har.

21_Blessings
09-24-2010, 05:03 PM
I'm not trying to discount LA I'm just saying that outside of the Lakers the Western conference is getting shittier every year.

The West has gotten arguably stronger since 05-07 top to bottom. OKC is like one piece away from being ridiculous with the way Durant and Westbrook are developing.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-24-2010, 05:09 PM
The West has gotten arguably stronger since 05-07 top to bottom. OKC is like one piece away from being ridiculous with the way Durant and Westbrook are developing.
LA, Portland and OKC are the only teams in the West that have gotten noticeably better since 2007. The Spurs, Mavs and Suns have all gotten worse. The Rockets and Jazz have either stayed the same or slightly gotten worse. The Nuggets are about to become a bottom feeder. The Clippers went back to being shitty. The Warriors went back to being shitty.

As a whole, the Western conference has gotten worse since 2007, when the top 3 teams were all in the West, all of which capable of 60+ wins. Now LA is the only team in the West with a chance at 60 wins, unless OKC improves more than expected.

Jim Downey
09-24-2010, 05:12 PM

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

redzero
09-24-2010, 05:15 PM
What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

I love that quote.

21_Blessings
09-24-2010, 05:24 PM
That just proves the league has gotten stronger as a whole.

:lol Namedropping the Dallas Mavericks and Clippers of all franchises. Both now have more talent than their 2007 versions anyway.

OKC with Durant in MVP form are a much bigger threat to ring than any of those laughable defensive Phoenix squads to be quite honest. The 2007 Spurs were basically the same team in 08 and they were bent over by a Laker team without two of their starters. And Rockets actually improved, if healthy.

That's just your nostalgia speaking DoK. In reality the Suns were just a gimmick offense really.

DesignatedT
09-24-2010, 05:25 PM
western conference getting weak.

21_Blessings
09-24-2010, 05:39 PM
05-07 NBA was one of the weakest in recent memory. Been saying this for a few years and is pretty much undeniable when you look back on it.

lol 2006 champs

Girasuck
09-24-2010, 05:40 PM
Have you ever watched Doris play?

Do you really think adding Diaw for AK is a downgrade in the outside shooting department? If so then you have no idea just how bad of an outside shooter AK is.

Girasuck
09-24-2010, 05:47 PM
How many teams do you know of that can let go of their best defender and possibly their best rebounder per minute and actually improve?

What is Diaw going to do for the team that AK doesn't do 5 times better?

True AK is our best shot blocker but he's dropped off from that crazy shot blocking pace he set several years ago. Within the past 3 or so years he refuses to play help defense off his wing player, and that's the biggest problem with AK on the defensive end. He's not playing the 4 anymore and his on ball defense isn't what it use to be.

The per minute stat is so worthless anyway. AK may have a high rebounding per minute stat, but I'm not worried at all about rebounding when you have Millsap and Jefferson playing together.

Diaw sets better screens than AK, passes just as well as AK, and is a better outside shooter than AK. Do we lose a little on the defensive end? Yes...but we're really not a dominant defensive team to begin with.

Plus the biggest factor is the 8 mil in savings this year which gives us a lot of room to make another move once the season starts, especially if Memo is out for longer than thought.

Killakobe81
09-24-2010, 05:59 PM
If Farmar is an uptempo system, he will be O.K. Defnsively though it is a step back for NJ. Harris was not as good on defense without Avery riding his ass... But even so still a better defender than jordan.The irony is now Avery (IIRC) will be riding Farmar's. I hope jordan does well. his ego (according to reports) was too big to excel in his role as Fisher's backup. So let's see what he does with the reins of a team.

Ashy Larry
09-24-2010, 06:08 PM
damn @ Melo ..... LeBron, Bosh, Wade, Melo might be headed to the East. Look for Chris Paul to be next. Lakers better take advantage.

Killakobe81
09-24-2010, 06:14 PM
damn @ Melo ..... LeBron, Bosh, Wade, Melo might be headed to the East. Look for Chris Paul to be next. Lakers better take advantage.

Parker and Paul are next. My guess NY and NJ will be fighting for Paul with Parker as the consolation prize. NY messed up by throwing their #1 pick in the deal with morey. They have that pick they could put a package together and maybe come up with Paul but with no pick doubt that happens. If they get neither NY is barely relevant. even if they get one of those two ...they will thrive but neither shoots as good as Nash who really made d'antoni's system go. But both would put up big numbers ...

Killakobe81
09-24-2010, 07:18 PM
Didnt someone they get Travis Outlaw too?

C Lopez
PF Murphy
SF Melo
SG ??
PG Farmar

6th man Outlaw

TimDunkem
09-24-2010, 07:21 PM
Terrence Williams will most likely be the starting SG.