PDA

View Full Version : Give me Phoenix.

SPARKY
05-20-2005, 08:34 AM
Dallas concerns me much more than Phoenix. The Suns rely too heavily on Nash to set up their other guys. The Mavs offer similiar types of matchup problems for the Spurs that Seattle posed once Lewis and Radmanovic went down last series. Dallas can throw a team out on the court with 4 or 5 guys who all can take their man off the dribble. Dirk has always been a tough cover for the Spurs. Dallas can force the Spurs to take their second big off the court a lot more than Phoenix can, which weakens the Spurs' D significantly.

The Suns do have homecourt and perhaps this Spurs team needs homecourt much more than the prior two championship teams, but they don't concern me like the Mavs do. The Spurs' achilles heel remains, after all of these years (see '91 playoffs), facing good jumpshooting teams who can create and shoot over the top of the defense.

The more things change the more they stay the same.

T Park
05-20-2005, 08:39 AM
I disagree, Dallas's point guard play is so horrible, Tony Parker and Udrih would get at least 10 points a piece, Horry can defend Nowitzki decently, and I think Duncan would get well on the Mavericks much more than the Sonics..

Either team will be tough, but, IMO, Duncan should have huge series against either one, and itll be two tough jumpshooting teams.

SWC Bonfire
05-20-2005, 08:41 AM
Lets hope we play whoever has the weakest bench, because ours is looking like a MASH unit. I think Phoenix has less depth and more dropoff on the bench vs. the starting 5, what do you think?

boutons
05-20-2005, 08:59 AM
"Phoenix has less depth and more dropoff on the bench "

The weak PHX bench has been said to be PHX's ultimate, will-hurt-them-in-the-playoffs weakness all year long, but Jim Jackson is filling in great for JJ (his 4th qtr won Game5), and the Sonics starters still avg 400 MPG with no apparent ill effects, well into the playoffs.

The Spurs bench, supposedly "deep" but in playoff terms is just Robert and Beno and Brent, ain't been doing shit in the playoffs, except for Robert, meaning the Spurs are effectively shallow, also.

orhe
05-20-2005, 09:04 AM
the perimeter defense of both teams suck...
i won't be surprise if we parker and manu average 25 points a game each

T Park
05-20-2005, 09:05 AM
ain't been doing shit in the playoffs

I think both Beno and Horry had solid to good series vs the Sonics.

Beno had some big baskets last night, so I have to disagree.

nkdlunch
05-20-2005, 09:07 AM
I agree, I have less concerns w/Phoenix than w/Dallas.

MannyIsGod
05-20-2005, 09:12 AM
I would much rather play the Suns than the Mavericks. The matchup's that the Mavericks present are not something I relish seeing.

That, and I can't wait to see Mouse crying.

TwoHandJam
05-20-2005, 09:28 AM
I also want Phoenix. Dallas causes us more matchup problems and their players have more playoff experience with Finley and Nowitzki. The Suns seem to cave if you rattle them and we've played them well this year even when shorthanded.

Rick Von Braun
05-20-2005, 10:19 AM
No matter who the Spurs get, I want the Phx-Dal series to go to a game seven. The guys, especially Duncan and Ginobili need the rest.

SPARKY
05-20-2005, 10:22 AM
I disagree, Dallas's point guard play is so horrible, Tony Parker and Udrih would get at least 10 points a piece, Horry can defend Nowitzki decently, and I think Duncan would get well on the Mavericks much more than the Sonics..

Either team will be tough, but, IMO, Duncan should have huge series against either one, and itll be two tough jumpshooting teams.

Did the Sonics really have an O run by a point or one with multiple penetrators and some chumps up front?

Dallas can go with Dirk and 4 guards for stretches of games. Spurs' D is going to suffer with TD having to chase Dirk around.

Phoenix is a much more conventional team for the Spurs to face.

T Park
05-20-2005, 10:27 AM
Spurs' D is going to suffer with TD having to chase Dirk around.

that is why you have Horry chase him around.

Horry can keep up Nowitzki.

Phoenix is a much more conventional team for the Spurs to face.

I dont know about that.

They seem like with their pick and rolls would be very tough for the Spurs.

Either one though, IMO, defensively, is worse than Seattle.

Spurminator
05-20-2005, 10:28 AM
Spurs' D is going to suffer with TD having to chase Dirk around.

Maybe, but think of the Mavs' D with Dirk guarding Duncan...

Advantage Spurs.

Mark in Austin
05-20-2005, 10:29 AM
Agreed. For Phx to be successful, they basically have four guys on the court who need for Nash to get them the ball in the right circumstance. Good D on Nash and forcing Nash to play some D himself is something Tony Parker can do, and this effects not just Nash, but the rest of the Suns on the floor if Nash can't set them up as easily.

With Dallas, take away one player with good defense and you have another guy that can heat up and beat you any given night. Terry, Dirk, Finley, Howard, Daniels, etc. Plus Avery probably knows Pop's system better than any other opposing coach.

Give me Phoenix. But Dallas needs to win the next one.

T Park
05-20-2005, 10:31 AM
but think of the Mavs' D with Dirk guarding Duncan...

can you say, foul trouble???

also, in 03 you had to worry about, Lafrentz, Najera, getting thrown at DUncan,

now, its only Nowitzki and dumbfuck Dampier.

I doubt thought that Dallas wins, I think itll be Phoenix.

Spurminator
05-20-2005, 10:31 AM
I think we're in good shape for either team. Neither team is anything close to as physical as Seattle was on the defensive end, and both play a fast-paced offensive game similar to the Sonics.

I think the next series will require less of an adjustment on the Spurs' part than their opponent. The Suns and Mavs have faced basically no resistance on their offensive plays, and it may take some time to adjust to having to hit shots/layups over a defender.

T Park
05-20-2005, 10:33 AM
Plus Avery probably knows Pop's system

what is to know?!?!? lol.

pick and rolls, 4 down, iso for Parker and Ginobili.

The offense aint complicated lol.

samikeyp
05-20-2005, 10:36 AM
No matter who the Spurs get, I want the Phx-Dal series to go to a game seven. The guys, especially Duncan and Ginobili need the rest.

yes....tonights game and game 7 need to go into 3OT! :)

T Park
05-20-2005, 10:37 AM
I think the next series will require less of an adjustment on the Spurs' part than their opponent

I agree, Denver and Seattle were perfect warmups for Dallas, Phoenix.

I hope the Spurs starting tommarow start working on pick and roll D for Dirk or Stoudamire.

Obstructed_View
05-20-2005, 10:38 AM
I don't envision anyone on the Suns dropping flagrant fouls on the Spurs because they are getting their asses kicked. The Mavs and their fans have less class than any of the teams the Spurs have played so far this post season. After all the dirty play, I'd be happy to see the Spurs play a basketball team instead of a hockey team for a change.

Nikos
05-20-2005, 10:42 AM
........ and both play a fast-paced offensive game similar to the Sonics.

Why is it that some still say that Seattle's plays a fast-paced offense? They were one of the slowest paced teams in the league this season. Even slower than the Spurs. A lot of their offense is in the halfcourt with their screen and rolls, and when AD is in the game it seems they become even more halfcourt oriented.

Seattle is similiar to the Suns simply due to the fact that they have a very potent and efficient offense. Other than that? They are actually very different teams.

Siler97
05-20-2005, 10:43 AM
Which ever team wins the spurs will slow the game down and make it half court game as both teams like to run. The question is...who do you want shooting from the perimeter?? Nowitzki, Finley and Stackhouse or Nash, and Marion with Stoudamire crahsing the boards?? Me? I'll take the Suns!!

SPARKY
05-20-2005, 10:44 AM
Mavs can take the tact of letting TD get his and force the other Spurs to create their own opportunities, in favor of getting the mismatches they want on the offensive end.

The Spurs aren't exactly immune from struggling when facing such a strategy as demonstrated in the last series. There is no reason why that series should have gone 6 games.

Shit, Seattle pushed the Spurs to 6 games with Allen, AD, Ridnour, and a gaggle of chumps.

SPARKY
05-20-2005, 10:48 AM
Why is it that some still say that Seattle's plays a fast-paced offense? They were one of the slowest paced teams in the league this season. Even slower than the Spurs. A lot of their offense is in the halfcourt with their screen and rolls, and when AD is in the game it seems they become even more halfcourt oriented.

The Mavs have a number of players with better offensive skills than AD and Ridnour. Not exactly an interesting prospect to face in the halfcourt or the full.

Spurminator
05-20-2005, 10:58 AM
You're right, Nikos, and I chose a poor term to describe the similarities I see with the Sonics and our next opponents. While the Sonics run the break far less than the Suns, I still see similarities in the half court game. One of those similarities - a heavy reliance on 3-point shooting - was not much of a factor in this series due to Lewis and Radmanovic's injuries, but much of their motion offense in the half court looks very much like what we could expect from the Suns in the half court, albeit against a much better finisher in the paint.

We saw from the Denver series that the Spurs are able to keep a running team from breaking at will, and if we can do the same with the Suns, I think we'll be prepared for whatever else they try to throw at us.

SPARKY
05-20-2005, 11:06 AM
Mavs can run pick and pops with Dirk and Terry, Daniels, Stackhouse, or whoever all day long. AJ knows the weak links to the Spurs' D.

picnroll
05-20-2005, 11:07 AM
Sign me up for the Suns too. Of course if Duncan has two bum ankles not sure it's going to matter.

T Park
05-20-2005, 11:08 AM
cant the Suns do the same?!

sa_butta
05-20-2005, 11:13 AM
Ill take the Suns after a 7 game series, hopefully they will
be tired. Last time we played Phoenix Parker dropped 30 on
em and Duncan and Gino were out and we only lost by 6.

SPARKY
05-20-2005, 11:20 AM
cant the Suns do the same?!

Not like the Mavs.

Nikos
05-20-2005, 11:21 AM
Even despite AJ's knowledge of the Spurs and the Mavs wealthy stock of talented/athletic role players, I think the Spurs can beat the Mavs.

Suns aren't going to be easy. If the Spurs don't make their imprint on that series right away, they could be down 2-0. And I don't know if they would be strong enough mentally to stand up to the team if they suffered a big loss in Game 1.

I really wish the Spurs had homecourt vs the Suns. The teams are very close and if it went Game 7 I would feel confident the Spurs could get it done on their HC.

sa_butta
05-20-2005, 11:23 AM
Even despite AJ's knowledge of the Spurs and the Mavs wealthy stock of talented/athletic role players, I think the Spurs can beat the Mavs.

Suns aren't going to be easy. If the Spurs don't make their imprint on that series right away, they could be down 2-0. And I don't know if they would be strong enough mentally to stand up to the team if they suffered a big loss in Game 1.

I really wish the Spurs had homecourt vs the Suns. The teams are very close and if it went Game 7 I would feel confident the Spurs could get it done on their HC.I agree I wish we had HC on the Suns but I know we can take them on their floor.

SWC Bonfire
05-20-2005, 11:25 AM
We talk about it a lot, but the players can't get caught up in this crap. They've got to be ready for whoever comes through the gate. Saying that they want 48 hrs off may be true (and obvious), but at the end of the day they play when and where they are told to play.

Lonestar
05-20-2005, 11:27 AM
Personally I think I'd rather play a team that has played little or no defense all year (Suns) than one who only started playing D when they changed coaches (Mavericks) but I think the real edge over the Suns might be psychological. The Spurs dealt the Suns some rare losses during the regular season but then Pop sat out Manu and Tony (?) in what was predicted to be their first true test. I think he planted a little seed of doubt in the Suns psyche. The Suns had a great year but never really beat a full strength Spurs team. Myself and a lot of others felt that this was more of a tactical move by Pop heading into the playoffs. I'm probably full of crap but I think Pop was pulling a little CIA stuff in preparation for this series.

SPARKY
05-20-2005, 12:50 PM
Homecourt doesn't matter. The Spurs' D is built primarily around the interior with the goal to force penetrators into the shotblockers while also, if possible, forcing them baseline. This defense is quite potent when it faces an offense that relies on a limited number of creators.

If an offense cannot draw the Spurs' bigs away from the basket then it is going to stagnate. The Spurs can handle an offense dominated by one penetrator. The problem lies in having to match up with multiple penetrators as well as facing teams with bigs who can shoot the rock (and handle it).

While Phoenix has its share of athletes and is known for playing an open court style, the Spurs' transition D is capable of matching up with that. The trouble lies in the halfcourt and that is where the Mavs' offensive style is much more problematic than that of the Suns.

MiNuS
05-20-2005, 12:59 PM
If it's Phoenix we all know it's Manu time!(you mean more?)

I say Manu will average about 28 ppg in this series.He relishes playing vs
the "best".

I hope we see a p/o high for him. Something Jordanesque in the 50's

Manu,manu,Manu,manu...uuuuuuuuuuuuuuu......oh!(som etimes I wish SBC would become more of a college/soccer atmosphere.)

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-20-2005, 01:02 PM
_allas scares me, Phoenix doesn't.

Plus, I like beating the best, which all season long was the Phoenix Suns.

timvp
05-20-2005, 01:28 PM
AJ > D'Antoni

This is the same D'Antoni that led the Nuggets to like 4 wins that season. I have much more respect for schemes that I've seen AJ come up with. The adjustments he made in the Rockets series and early in the PHX series were amazing.

williemoonshine
05-20-2005, 02:04 PM
But PHX has never seen us with our new toys... NAzr & G-Rob. I think that Nazr is starting to shine at the right time, especially if we see PHX... Amare will have a tougher time vs Nazr & Tim as opposed to Rasho and Tim. In order to be the "best" you have to beat the "best" which in this case is PHX, then NBA's poster team. I hope AJ and the Mavs DO push them to a game 7 for our sake, but I am expecting PHX to come out victorious.... but still... SAS > NBA

SPARKY
05-22-2005, 09:05 PM
So far so good.

timvp
05-22-2005, 09:06 PM
Nice call.