PDA

View Full Version : no scrubs in south beach

rickross
09-25-2010, 03:56 AM
Pat riley decided this old washed up scrub ain't worth the effort. look for a nice lopsided trade in february.

MIAMI HEAT

Miami Heat no longer pursuing Erick Dampier

http://www.adobe.com/images/shared/download_buttons/get_flash_player.gif (http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer)
http://media.miamiherald.com/smedia/2010/09/13/15/mavs.embedded.prod_affiliate.56.JPG
The Heat will no longer consider signing veteran center Erick Dampier. Glenn James / NBAE/Getty Images

Photo (http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/09/24/1841227/miami-heat-no-longer-pursuing.html#x)

http://media.miamiherald.com/images/redesign/clear.gif

Related Content

Miami Heat's Pat Riley says LeBron, Bosh injury-free (http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/09/24/1839441/miami-heats-pat-riley-says-lebron.html)
Miami Heat's Chris Bosh buys 7-bedroom home in Miami Beach (http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/09/24/1840650/miami-heats-chris-bosh-buys-7.html)

By MICHAEL WALLACE

[email protected]

With four centers already on the roster under guaranteed contracts, the Heat decided Friday to pass on the Erick Dampier experiment.
Dampier, a 14-year veteran free agent, had workouts this week with the Heat and the Houston Rockets after he was released by Charlotte.
Heat president Pat Riley spoke highly Thursday of the type of presence Dampier could add, specifically as a low-post defender and rebounder. But by passing on Dampier, the Heat essentially sent a message that it is comfortable with the front-court players on the roster.
The Heat signed veteran Zydrunas Ilgauskas, drafted rookie Dexter Pittman in the second round and re-signed Jamaal Magloire and Joel Anthony during free agency.
Miami also has versatile power forwards in Chris Bosh, Juwan Howard and Udonis Haslem, who could move to center in stretches.
Dampier, 35, has career averaged of 7.8 points and 7.4 rebounds and was a starter on the Dallas Mavericks team that lost to Miami in the 2006 NBA Finals. The Heat considered offering Dampier a contract for the veteran's minimum of $1.4 million. He reportedly had a two-year, $4 million offer from Houston.
With 18 players on the roster, including 14 under guaranteed contracts for the season, the Heat still has two training camp spots open to add more players. Teams must trim rosters to no more than 15 players for the season.
Miami plays its preseason opener Oct. 5 at home against Detroit and opens the regular season Oct. 26 at Boston.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/09/24/1841227/miami-heat-no-longer-pursuing.html#ixzz10WuWHvED

LkrFan
09-25-2010, 05:31 AM
Big Z
Magloire

^Scrubs.

/Failed thread

Venti Quattro
09-25-2010, 06:38 AM
LeBron is a scrub. Just kidding, tee hee!

Booharv
09-25-2010, 07:37 AM
This is a really fucking idiotic move by the Heat. Dampier may not be a frontline starter but he is way better than anything they have right now and he has definite strengths. He's a significantly above average rebounder on both ends of the floor but especially on the offensive end. He has even led the league in offensive rebound rate three times. Because he's learned to understand his role and generally takes good shots, his true shooting percentage is annually among the league leaders. Plus he's also a solid post defender, above average shot blocker, and he runs the floor pretty well. If he wasn't getting paid three times what he's worth he'd probably be more appreciated.

By contrast Joel Anthony is an awful rebounder on both ends of the floor and if you look at his advanced metrics he has only one significant strength; shot blocking. He's also supposed to be good at pick and roll defense which Dampier is mediocre at, and a decent post defender but he's awful in everything else. He has a career 48.4 TS% which is unbelievably shitty for a player whose sole role on offense is to catch and dunk. He only converted 52% of his shots at the rim last year, which is extraordinarily low. He contributes nothing on offense and can pretty much be left alone to double off of because he can't even offensive rebound either.

Lukor
09-25-2010, 08:01 AM
You dont understand PR spin do you. This is the same as "Nellie resigns as Warriors coach". It was Damp who turned them down and Nellie got pushed out of the job.

O.J Mayo
09-25-2010, 08:04 AM
Joel Anthony will be a better player and be better than Joel Pryzbilla once he wins a title with the Miami Heat.

Ashy Larry
09-25-2010, 08:57 AM
huh?

Rick Ross
09-25-2010, 10:43 AM
Who the fuck is this fake muhfukka

Killakobe81
09-25-2010, 11:40 AM
This is a really fucking idiotic move by the Heat. Dampier may not be a frontline starter but he is way better than anything they have right now and he has definite strengths. He's a significantly above average rebounder on both ends of the floor but especially on the offensive end. He has even led the league in offensive rebound rate three times. Because he's learned to understand his role and generally takes good shots, his true shooting percentage is annually among the league leaders. Plus he's also a solid post defender, above average shot blocker, and he runs the floor pretty well. If he wasn't getting paid three times what he's worth he'd probably be more appreciated.

By contrast Joel Anthony is an awful rebounder on both ends of the floor and if you look at his advanced metrics he has only one significant strength; shot blocking. He's also supposed to be good at pick and roll defense which Dampier is mediocre at, and a decent post defender but he's awful in everything else. He has a career 48.4 TS% which is unbelievably shitty for a player whose sole role on offense is to catch and dunk. He only converted 52% of his shots at the rim last year, which is extraordinarily low. He contributes nothing on offense and can pretty much be left alone to double off of because he can't even offensive rebound either.

I disagree. His strength is offensive rebounding. So where exactly will he get those boards? In the paint. Why would you want to clog the lane with Damp (and his man) when Lebron and Wade are the best drivers in the NBA? Smart move by Miami. I was HOPING they did sign him. But Riley is too smart for that. Or as some reports indicate, Wade is close with Magliore and went to bat and Riley bitched out. Either way the heat wins here, but I give the benefit of the doubt to Riley. All he has touched has been gold all off-season. He is putting his degree from Jerry West University to good use.

sefant77
09-25-2010, 11:48 AM
Stupid move.

Damp is 10 times better than Magloire. Or send Pitman to the D-League. Damp is a big body, solid defender, great rebounder and he set awesome screens (hello Wade, James).

You can bash Damp but that was just stupid from the Heat. Well, good for the rest of the league.

Booharv
09-25-2010, 11:57 AM
I disagree. His strength is offensive rebounding. So where exactly will he get those boards? In the paint. Why would you want to clog the lane with Damp (and his man) when Lebron and Wade are the best drivers in the NBA? Smart move by Miami. I was HOPING they did sign him. But Riley is too smart for that. Or as some reports indicate, Wade is close with Magliore and went to bat and Riley bitched out. Either way the heat wins here, but I give the benefit of the doubt to Riley. All he has touched has been gold all off-season. He is putting his degree from Jerry West University to good use.

Where the fuck do you think Joel Anthony is going to be spotting up at, the three point line?

Besides, history has shown over and over again that you can have one big man in the paint and its perfectly fine for floor spacing, especially if your team has a floor spreading four, which Bosh who had one of the highest percentages on long two point shots of any big man in the league at 46.2%, certainly is. Besides skilled adept, unselfish drivers such as Wade and Lebron have made a career off dumping off passes to big men for dunks if they get doubled on the drive. Plus Jordan and Kobe have always played with big men who clogged the paint from Shaq to Rodman to Cartwright to 5/6 playoff Bynum and done perfectly fine.

Killakobe81
09-25-2010, 12:35 PM
I am not saying that Damp is not good or even better than their centers I just think he is bad fit for this team. As for the points about Kobe and MJ ...they increasingly became jump shooters. If you can get wade or Lebron to shoot jumpers that is a "win" for your defense, because they are not getting to the FT line. Also Kobe had shaq, so any comparisons of Shaq and Damp are foollish. Yes they are both big and Shaq clogged the lane but he also opened up the floor because he commanded double teams ...when has Dampier ever did that? This Heat team is unique (I think they will be) As good as Pippen was .. he was not a dominant slasher/scorer as Wade/Lebron. So that comaprison doesnt make much sense either. The heat will (should) go small at times especially when not playing a good center. They already have bodies for fouls and just sheer size when they do play the few centers that are worth going traditional, Z gives you height and doesnt clog the lane. The other 3 guys are just bodies.

Booharv
09-25-2010, 01:09 PM
I am not saying that Damp is not good or even better than their centers I just think he is bad fit for this team. As for the points about Kobe and MJ ...they increasingly became jump shooters. If you can get wade or Lebron to shoot jumpers that is a "win" for your defense, because they are not getting to the FT line. Also Kobe had shaq, so any comparisons of Shaq and Damp are foollish. Yes they are both big and Shaq clogged the lane but he also opened up the floor because he commanded double teams ...when has Dampier ever did that? This Heat team is unique (I think they will be) As good as Pippen was .. he was not a dominant slasher/scorer as Wade/Lebron. So that comaprison doesnt make much sense either. The heat will (should) go small at times especially when not playing a good center. They already have bodies for fouls and just sheer size when they do play the few centers that are worth going traditional, Z gives you height and doesnt clog the lane. The other 3 guys are just bodies.

Z is a moot point because everyone in the league knows Z gets jizzed on by Howard at this point in his career, he just can't handle him physically. Dampier isn't some Howard stopper but he's much better equipped than anyone the Heat have, and would be their only center that wouldn't automatically allow to spot up under the rim or get run by him in transition.

Anthony is penciled in as their starter anyways. Again, where's Anthony going to be spotting up at? The three point line?

He'll clog the lane worse than Dampier since he can't even finish at the rim and has no range whatsoever. There's no reason on God's green Earth not to double off of him when someone drives into the paint or to play ten feet off of him if he spots up outside.

Plus you can count the number of teams with jump shooters at the four and five spots that has won a title on one hand, if that. Every team usually has a player that hovers around the rim in the half court offense and often these offensive rebounders are valuable pieces as they help their team get more possessions, which historically speaking the team that averages more possessions has a much higher winning percentage. The Miami team that won in 2006 had Mourning on the floor with its most effective five man unit in the Finals and his jump shot had disappeared years before that series. Plus on that original Bulls team Jordan still drove to the lane frequently and he had Cartwright and Will Perdue in the game at all times.

Killakobe81
09-25-2010, 01:17 PM
Z is a moot point because everyone in the league knows Z gets jizzed on by Howard at this point in his career, he just can't handle him physically. Dampier isn't some Howard stopper but he's much better equipped than anyone the Heat have, and would be their only center that wouldn't automatically allow to spot up under the rim or get run by him in transition.

Anthony is penciled in as their starter anyways. Again, where's Anthony going to be spotting up at? The three point line?

He'll clog the lane worse than Dampier since he can't even finish at the rim and has no range whatsoever. There's no reason on God's green Earth not to double off of him when someone drives into the paint or to play ten feet off of him if he spots up outside.

Plus you can count the number of teams with jump shooters at the four and five spots that has won a title on one hand, if that. Every team usually has a player that hovers around the rim in the half court offense and often these offensive rebounders are valuable pieces as they help their team get more possessions, which historically speaking the team that averages more possessions has a much higher winning percentage. The Miami team that won in 2006 had Mourning on the floor with its most effective five man unit in the Finals and his jump shot had disappeared years before that series. Plus on that original Bulls team Jordan still drove to the lane frequently and he had Cartwright and Will Perdue in the game at all times.

That heat team played Haslem at the 4 more than anyone else. Shaq and Zo swapped at center more often IIRC ...and even if Zo was not as good as he once was jump shooting the threat of that shot does matter. Both the spurs lakers Rockets won with a jump shooting horry at that spot. Celtics KG. Yes tmany had big men that couldnt shoot all that well outside.But Hakeem and Duncan could. but ALL of them had a low post game to complement them even Perkins can score given time. Plus their two man stars were not the drivers that Lebron and Wade should be with THIS team. The point is Damp gives you no post game, and he clogs the lane. Like I said above, my guess is they will go small at times with Bosh and Haslem at 4 and 5. With Lebron being a beast at SF I dont think lack of size hurts them much.Against Dwight they use all their big man fouls and swarm him in the paint. With Lebron or Wade roaming ...

Zelophehad
09-25-2010, 01:54 PM
That heat team played Haslem at the 4 more than anyone else.

You're aware Dampier is a center, right? He's talking about centers.

Zelophehad
09-25-2010, 01:56 PM
And by the end of his career Zo had virtually no jump shot whatsoever. He lost pretty much all of his shooting touch with the long layoffs because of the kidneys.

Killakobe81
09-26-2010, 10:42 AM
You're aware Dampier is a center, right? He's talking about centers.

I did get that, my point was the centers in the examples of all those championship teams were all scoring threats. So not ONLY did those teams have a stretch 4 they ALSO had a low post threat. This Heat team is NOT the same as those teams because they have TWO great perimeter players whose main value as a a scorer are getting to the rim.

The only team that didnt have a true low post threat and a stretch 4 were the Pistons were Rasheed really was both for them ...but they were a perimeter orientated team. My guess is the Heat will drive to the rim a lot more that those Pistons.

I concede I dont really know WHAT the Heat will do. But smart basketball is that they will drive to the rim not only for easy buckets but to neutralize their size disadvatage. Everyone worries about their size, the Heat should be able to foul out an aggresive big man by taking an all-assualt at the rim. Only the Lakers, Magic Mavs and Celts have proven big man depth ...so they have the best chance to withstand that strategy. If a big man is used to set picks I blitz the screen and I let dampier/Anthonyetc score from that far out, even if they are rolling. Now if the screen is set by BOsh, Z or even Lebron for Wade, you cant leave them with a 20 footer our even worse IF it's (Lebron or Bosh) a running start at the hoop. With a guy with a semi-decent jumper at center you give all kinds of driving lanes.

In closing I doubt Dampier would of been a huge difference maker because his strengths are not needed and his shortcomings coud limit what the Heat strengths potentially will be. I side with Riley here.

rickross
09-26-2010, 02:26 PM
Who the fuck is this fake muhfukka

yo playa i know im da illest baddes mofo but u gotta be mad with hate to copy me liek dat.

Rick Ross
09-26-2010, 03:07 PM
Nigga you a clown here's the number you should dial
Yeah start with 305 but we end at four pounds

Check the join date nigga and get off my cloud playboy

rickross
09-26-2010, 05:08 PM
Nigga you a clown here's the number you should dial
Yeah start with 305 but we end at four pounds

Check the join date nigga and get off my cloud playboy

yo dawg teflon nigga lil bigga y puttin ugly pics of me?
naw dont u tell me how you fraud would be friendly
if you eva see me in face to face, cause it ain't no place
like stayin on yo knees and beggin for your role model ace
to give you anything you'd swallow, even to the gallows
you'd follow me like a dog, fightin thourgh the fog i allows
you to see through, not thorough and none true
ima say it straight, yo playa fuck you
for yo lil'bitt a swag ain't got nothin on mine
so stop barking and tryina be a mime
cause you know at the end of the day
only the real deal will have its say
so you'll be once again one of the rest
cause only the real me is da best!

you got punked the fuck out son. i'm takin ova!

Rick Ross
09-26-2010, 06:38 PM
Yous a minime version, in fact yous an imposter
jumpin on the bandwagon since LeBron done joined the roster
Im the boss yeah, you can tell ya style is fake
respondin to my post is just a dumb mistake
I take the cake, the pie, and you can have the crumbs
You aint never call no shots, I shine brighter than the sun
Im big, fat and beautiful, why would you say these pics ugly
My style ladi dadi I stay slick and fresh like Rick and Doug E.
Sit back in my Maybach, Guccis got me faded to black
you straight wack, get laid flat, fake nigga betta give my name back
Homey I aint sweatin cuz Im the better rapper by far
this lil nigga need a dolla cant even afford a capital 'R'
Test the teflon, we get it on, get rolled quick
See Im blowin money fast while you just blowin dick

#2!
09-27-2010, 01:39 AM
Oh...shit

cheguevara
03-09-2011, 01:04 PM
Pat riley decided this old washed up scrub ain't worth the effort. look for a nice lopsided trade in february.

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]MIAMI HEAT

Miami Heat no longer pursuing Erick Dampier

:lol

cheguevara
03-09-2011, 01:09 PM
Heat president Pat Riley spoke highly Thursday of the type of presence Dampier could add, specifically as a low-post defender and rebounder. But by passing on Dampier, the Heat essentially sent a message that it is comfortable with the front-court players on the roster.
The Heat signed veteran Zydrunas Ilgauskas, drafted rookie Dexter Pittman in the second round and re-signed Jamaal Magloire and Joel Anthony during free agency.

:lmao :lmao

Axe Murderer
03-09-2011, 01:12 PM
if we're gonna decide to bump retarded rickross threads, it will be page 11 before you find a legit basketball topic

lefty
03-09-2011, 04:43 PM
:lmao

Jt.ONE
03-09-2011, 09:28 PM
great bump

lol officer ricky