PDA

View Full Version : Koch Bros Work Is Never Done: Hockey Stick Confirmed

boutons_deux
09-25-2010, 10:47 AM
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2010/09/22/business/hockey/hockey-blogSpan.jpg

http://green.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/23/the-hockey-stick-lives/?partner=rss&emc=rss

DMX7
09-25-2010, 10:52 AM
God will provide a way.

MannyIsGod
09-25-2010, 11:03 AM
The hockey stick is there in every data set. People that don't want to see it won't.

Nbadan
09-26-2010, 01:16 PM
Its a nice cool 80-something degree day in SA...eat shit you tree-huggers!

boutons_deux
09-27-2010, 03:50 PM
Koch-Funded Book Argues Against Mine Safety Laws In West Virginia

Paul Nyden, writing in the Charleston Gazetta this Sunday, revealed that Koch Industries — the massive conglomerate of oil, chemical, manufacturing, timber, hedge fund, coal, and shipping interests run by the right-wing ideologues David and Charles Koch — has seeded West Virginia with several conservative front groups. Koch foundations provide the cash for anti-government efforts in the Mountain State, including a right-wing “think tank” called the Public Policy Foundation of West Virginia and for free-market faculty members at West Virginia University. Nyden notes that Russell Sobel, a local economist whose research and writing has been underwritten by Koch fronts, argues against the minimum wage and against mine safety laws:

Sobel also works closely with the Public Policy Foundation of West Virginia, the Morgantown think tank which published his book, “Unleashing Capitalism: Why Prosperity Stops at the West Virginia Border and How to Fix It,” in 2007. The Sobel book is a collection of 12 essays, arguing that government regulations hurt West Virginia’s economy. One essay questions the value of “mandated” mine safety laws, stating government regulations may increase accident rates.

http://thinkprogress.org/2010/09/27/koch-mine-safety/

Cry Havoc
09-27-2010, 04:10 PM
Its a nice cool 80-something degree day in SA...eat shit you tree-huggers!

LA hit a record high today.

Not for the date or the month.

The hottest day in Los Angeles history. Just sayin'.

baseline bum
09-27-2010, 04:15 PM
LA hit a record high today.

Not for the date or the month.

The hottest day in Los Angeles history. Just sayin'.

This time of year often has very hot days in LA. It's when the Santa Anna winds blowing east from the deserts start to really pick up.

Cry Havoc
09-27-2010, 04:17 PM
This time of year often has very hot days in LA. It's when the Santa Anna winds blowing east from the deserts start to really pick up.

Today's high was 7 degrees higher than the previous record set on this date. That's a pretty damned big difference.

boutons_deux
09-27-2010, 04:18 PM
Fire season startin in So Cal. Always great as news filler.

baseline bum
09-27-2010, 04:21 PM
Today's high was 7 degrees higher than the previous record set on this date. That's a pretty damned big difference.

Holy shit, 112 right now in the city? I never saw a temperature anything close to that in Los Angeles proper when I lived there! Certainly in the valley or out by Riverside or Palm Springs, but damn, that's ridiculous in the actual city.

DarrinS
09-27-2010, 04:25 PM
The hockey stick is there in every data set. People that don't want to see it won't.

Except for Keith Briffa's. His was the "decline" they were trying to hide with Mike's "Nature trick". (Mike being Michael Mann, a.k.a. hockey stick boy)

One of Keith Briffa's emails:

"I know there is pressure to present a nice tidy story as regards 'apparent unprecedented warming in a thousand years or more in the proxy data' but in reality the situation is not quite so simple. … I believe that the recent warmth was probably matched about 1,000 years ago."

DarrinS
09-27-2010, 04:34 PM
I think computer models that turn red noise into hockey-sticks is some gawt damned good science.

Wild Cobra
09-27-2010, 09:23 PM
Sure.

Every data set uses thermometers instead of proxies. thermometers placed near population centers that grow, and induce their own heat islands as they grow larger.

Wild Cobra
09-27-2010, 09:24 PM
I'd be curois where the thermometer of record is located. Is it near a building that had a new AC unit installed, blowing hot air? Next to a repaved parking lot maybe?