PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody else who can easily afford a smart phone not want one?

DMX7
09-25-2010, 11:19 AM
I feel like if I buy one, I'll have absolutely no life left. I already spend too much time on the internet because it's so addicting even thought I find doing actual things (out of the house) infinitely more rewarding.

Strike
09-25-2010, 11:50 AM
I don't feel the need to have one. I have a phone that makes calls, texts and takes pictures. And I barely use the camera either.

Soul_Patch
09-25-2010, 11:50 AM
I recently canceled our ATT service, sold our iphones (200 bucks each!) and went back to Verizon. Got the free phone they offered and my monthly service went from around 150 a month to 60 a month...

I just found it way too pricey for something i didn't even use that much. Although the internet wherever i was at was convenient, it wasn't life changing or a necessity. I find i am getting along fine without it.

benefactor
09-25-2010, 12:10 PM
I don't feel the need to have one. I have a phone that makes calls, texts and takes pictures. And I barely use the camera either.
Same here. I still have my old Vxx RAZR. I was gonna buy a Motorola Tundra but they they want like 170 bucks for the damn thing.

koriwhat
09-25-2010, 12:11 PM
i was about to buy the evo with sprint but after thinking twice i decided to just stick with my shitty no-camera having phone. no need to spend extra money a month for something i wouldn't use that much.

The_Worlds_finest
09-25-2010, 02:19 PM
i could get a dumbass i phone with the works, but decided my pos samsung 15 dollar phone from target is a better deal. I had a smart phone, all it was good for was reading facebook updates while dropping a duce

pawe
09-25-2010, 09:32 PM
I dont have a smartphone just because its a 130/mo bill. I have all I need from my trusted simple cellphone and for only 45/mo.

Trainwreck2100
09-25-2010, 09:45 PM
i already pay 140 a month for the unlimited data/mobile to mobile so i will get one by the end of the week

balli
09-25-2010, 10:21 PM
I can afford a smart phone, I don't have one and despite lol'ing at people who are obsessed with phones, I do want one. Ima get a droid 2 relatively soon and root the hell outta that shit. My buddy's rooted droid recently brought me around to the idea; that shit is insanely cool.

Years
09-25-2010, 10:31 PM
Smart phones bore me.

Cry Havoc
09-25-2010, 11:23 PM
I can afford a smart phone, I don't have one and despite lol'ing at people who are obsessed with phones, I do want one. Ima get a droid 2 relatively soon and root the hell outta that shit. My buddy's rooted droid recently brought me around to the idea; that shit is insanely cool.

The droid 2 is older hardware. You're better off getting a galaxy s or an evo. If you NEED a keyboard, the epic 4g is awesome.

BlackSwordsMan
09-25-2010, 11:56 PM
i cant afford one nor do I want one

4>0rings
09-26-2010, 12:11 AM
Had a cheap crappy free phone for years, Sprint lady laughed even though I told her it was old and she remarked, yeah really old :lol

Bought a smart phone, it's pretty damn nice and I actually use it(email, apps, net) but it's far from a necessity and I probably could do as well with another cheap phone.

Sprint has a very nice deal though, $70 and you get unlimited basicaly everything for 1 or $120 for 2.

I wish cell phones were never invented. I don't want people to know they can get ahold of me at anytime or anywhere.

TDMVPDPOY
09-26-2010, 12:34 AM
i have a mobile phone which i rarely use...hardly make any calls or received any calls...

its prepaid also so i only recharge like 30 bucks and use for 4-5 months...

my nephew who is 3, he has a iphone and i lol at him cause he knows where to scroll to his stuff...and for me lol dont really bother with it...

METALMiKE
09-26-2010, 01:31 AM
I recently canceled our ATT service, sold our iphones (200 bucks each!) and went back to Verizon. Got the free phone they offered and my monthly service went from around 150 a month to 60 a month...

I just found it way too pricey for something i didn't even use that much. Although the internet wherever i was at was convenient, it wasn't life changing or a necessity. I find i am getting along fine without it.

Didn't they charge you up the ass with the cancellation fees?

duhoh
09-26-2010, 01:42 AM
i have a smartphone (blackberry bold). $30 a month.

there's always loopholes :D

Insomniac
09-26-2010, 02:50 AM
Having a smart phone and actually paying for all the features is another. I'm like most and just us a basic phone for calling, text and camera.

eisfeld
09-26-2010, 03:58 AM
I have a Touch HD and I pay roughly 60 bucks a month for unlimited minutes, texts and internet.

I'm glad I have it - there's no real app store like on the Iphone or Android OS - you can actually get most of the stuff for free on the Internet. So no extra bills for some stupid apps.

It has everything I need and the best thing is - plug it to a computer via USB and you can use it as a modem.

I mainly use it for work and that where it comes in handy. If you want one just to browse the internet once in a while - don't ever buy one.

JoeChalupa
09-26-2010, 05:14 AM
I know for people who use it for business makes sense but for me. Plain jane works fine and I've never been a fan of net use on a phone.

ChuckD
09-26-2010, 09:31 AM
Had a cheap crappy free phone for years, Sprint lady laughed even though I told her it was old and she remarked, yeah really old :lol

Bought a smart phone, it's pretty damn nice and I actually use it(email, apps, net) but it's far from a necessity and I probably could do as well with another cheap phone.

Sprint has a very nice deal though, $70 and you get unlimited basicaly everything for 1 or $120 for 2.

I wish cell phones were never invented. I don't want people to know they can get ahold of me at anytime or anywhere.
It's all about the expectations that you set. People know that I don't always pick up, so they leave a VM or the text me, and I get back to them.

ChuckD
09-26-2010, 09:53 AM
I know for people who use it for business makes sense but for me. Plain jane works fine and I've never been a fan of net use on a phone.

That's because Plain Jane probably has a 3/4" by 3/4" screen.

The best bet for Smart phones is probably Sprint on a contract, or buying a GSM phone unlocked on eBay and going pre-paid on t-mobile.

Venti Quattro
09-26-2010, 10:20 AM
I want one but I don't want a smart phone just because it's the in thing. I want a smart phone that's going to be "smart" for my needs, like a word processor, good full-experience browser, etc.

balli
09-26-2010, 12:01 PM
The droid 2 is older hardware. You're better off getting a galaxy s or an evo. If you NEED a keyboard, the epic 4g is awesome.

I NEED a keyboard and I don't really give a shit about having the newest hardware or 4G. All I know is that I've held a droid, it was solid and capable and that's the phone I'm getting.

Soul_Patch
09-26-2010, 01:27 PM
Didn't they charge you up the ass with the cancellation fees?

80 bucks a line to cancel, based on the remainder of our contract.

So -160 then +400 from selling the phones, i made out +240 dollars, and i went from 160 a month down to about 65 a month in bills.

All in all it worked out.

David Bowie
09-26-2010, 07:19 PM
I don't really want one. The last thing I need is more internet access and tv when I'm outside the house.

(and no, I can't afford one.)

Drachen
09-26-2010, 08:02 PM
I NEED a keyboard and I don't really give a shit about having the newest hardware or 4G. All I know is that I've held a droid, it was solid and capable and that's the phone I'm getting.

That's cool, the droid is nice. Just so you know, the samsung epic has a physical keyboard and it is on sprint so you will be able to get a lower monthly bill.

CosmicCowboy
09-27-2010, 09:51 AM
I don't use it to it's full capability but the iphone is nice occasionally. I was getting a lot of texts on the old phone and it was a pain in the ass answering them without a keyboard...plus access to e-mail at the ranch is good and I use it as an ipod in the truck. I'm not sure it's really worth $80 a month but it is what it is. My wife has this scrabble like word game on hers and always has three or four games going with friends. I love grabbing her phone off the charger and kicking her friends asses without them knowing it's me.

mrsmaalox
09-27-2010, 10:07 AM
I have an Iphone too, could easily get by without it. It hasn't increased the amt of time I waste on the internet but has certainly come in handy many times. It's very convenient to be away from my computer but still have access to all the information.

JoeChalupa
09-27-2010, 10:16 AM
That's because Plain Jane probably has a 3/4" by 3/4" screen.

The best bet for Smart phones is probably Sprint on a contract, or buying a GSM phone unlocked on eBay and going pre-paid on t-mobile.

yeah, but even then I simply don't have a use for it as I'm not needing it for business. Anything else can wait.

CosmicCowboy
09-27-2010, 10:38 AM
I have an Iphone too, could easily get by without it. It hasn't increased the amt of time I waste on the internet but has certainly come in handy many times. It's very convenient to be away from my computer but still have access to all the information.

I've also used it a few times for a phone book and maps while driving which was really nice...