PDA

View Full Version : Would Timmy Dunks even consider ETO in puruit of another ring?

Fabbs
09-25-2010, 04:34 PM
If the following scenario (or similar) unfolds, would Timmy Dunks take his skills to a contender for a real pursuit of a real championship? Using his Early Termination Option after this season?

April 25th, 2011 (AP) The San Antonio Spurs were swept 4-0 by the Phoenix Suns for the second straight year. Michael Finley, acquired in midseason by Coach Greg Popovich for DeJuan Blair after Blair was put in Pops *doghouse* after a 23 point 22 rebound effort in a win over the Lakers which brought Pops displeasure when Blair was "out of position" on defense once, lead the Spurs with 18 shot attempts and zero rebounds. Matt Bonner finished the series by going 6-10 on treys in Game 4 after going 3-42 in Games 1, 2, and 3.

The Spurstalk board would then be flooded with PopApologists saying "But but but they spread the floor and Pop has won 4 titles, you know."

Here is a previous article with Pat Riles commenting on Dunkar:
Jeff McDonald: Duncan as Kareem?
MIAMI -- Pat Riley has coached Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Pat Riley has also coached Shaquille O'Neal. Good news for Spurs fans: Pat Riley says Tim Duncan reminds him of the former, and not the latter.

"Duncan reminds me a lot of Kareem," Riley, the Miami Heat coach, said after this morning's shootaround. "Kareem wasn't a physical center, he was a finesse center. And he played until he was 41 years old."

More than that, Jabbar remained one of the league's most dominant players well into his late 30s. In 1986, at age 38, Jabbar averaged 23.4 points per game.

Riley's point: Big men like Duncan and Jabbar, who rely more on their mind and their touch than sheer physical strength and skill, tend to have a longer shelf life in the NBA.

Meanwhile, players whose main strength is their strength -- like O'Neal -- often begin to show their age much sooner. O'Neal's body has begun to betray him the past couple seasons. At age 34, he is obviously on the downslope of his Hall-of-Fame career. This preseason, O'Neal has been plagued with a strained calf muscle. (He's expected to play in tonight's game after sitting out the previous two).

But back to Kareem ...

"I didn't start coaching Kareem until he was 32 years old," Riley said. "And he played nine more years after that. And he won four more championships after that."

Riley says he wouldn't be surprised if Duncan accomplished something similar, in terms of both success and longevity. Spurs fans can only hope he's right.

ChumpDumper
09-25-2010, 04:36 PM
It's a safe bet to conclude that Duncan doesn't think like you do.

But if he goes, he goes.

DesignatedT
09-25-2010, 04:38 PM
No. Bigger question would be him using his ETO to sign another contract worth less $

DPG21920
09-25-2010, 04:47 PM
No. Bigger question would be him using his ETO to sign another contract worth less $

Assuming TP gets an extension, Tim taking less money does nothing to help the team sign players really.

If TP gets the same contract as he has now (which is the minimum it would take), that would be ~53M committed even with Tim's full 21M off the books. So anything Tim signs would raise that number and even if Tim signed for 10M per year (which is completely unrealistic), they would be over the cap.

Fabbs
09-25-2010, 05:12 PM
Assuming TP gets an extension, Tim taking less money does nothing to help the team sign players really.

If TP gets the same contract as he has now (which is the minimum it would take), that would be ~53M committed even with Tim's full 21M off the books. So anything Tim signs would raise that number and even if Tim signed for 10M per year (which is completely unrealistic), they would be over the cap.
But wouldn't Duncan have to think like Humpy and re-sign no matter what?

cd98
09-25-2010, 05:14 PM
Kareem ended his last season sucking oxygen from an oxygen mask during time outs. I hope I never see Tim Duncan doing that.

ChuckD
09-25-2010, 05:15 PM

What if Tony doesn't re-sign. I'm not saying that's going to happen, but what if it does? And why is $10M unrealistic, if it could put another good player on the team? Tim would be approaching the area of physical decrepitude and age that David was at when he signed his last deal for....drumroll...$10M a year for 2 years.

Also, I don't think Kareem was doing the Lakers a solid, I think the Lakers were doing him one. IIRC, he got ripped off by a business manager, and was basically destitute in his late 30s.

jason1301
09-25-2010, 05:20 PM
Its his choice to do as wishes, I ll cheer for him no matter where he plays....

Fabbs
09-25-2010, 05:20 PM
Kareem ended his last season sucking oxygen from an oxygen mask during time outs. I hope I never see Tim Duncan doing that.
Ah but not while getting punked in the 1st round or getting swept in the 2nd round.
That's what I'd like to never see again.

And to be sure, Kareem and those Lakers got the same corrupt referee ass kissing that the current Kobmes do so i don't mean to overvalue Kareems age 33 on.
Still, it was impressive and it beat's the crap out of the playoff crap that's been going on in Spursville.

ohmwrecker
09-25-2010, 05:27 PM
I wish I could give a serious reply, but I don't want to encourage this.

Fabbs
09-25-2010, 06:09 PM
I wish I could give a serious reply, but I don't want to encourage this. Nonetheless i attention whore in and add nothing.
Here ya go Sugar.
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153451&highlight=PollyAnna+Poppers

Fabbs
09-25-2010, 11:00 PM
This gets me hot and spithcey.
http://tedwilliamshead.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/twh-kobe-227x300.jpg

DPG21920
09-26-2010, 10:26 AM
But wouldn't Duncan have to think like Humpy and re-sign no matter what?

RJ was looking for long-term security. By signing this 40M dollar deal, he very likely came out ahead compared to if he had not opted out and then signed a FA contract else where next season. Especially with the new CBA looming. That is not the same situation.

Tim is, as far as most assume, not looking for another long-term contract.

What if Tony doesn't re-sign. I'm not saying that's going to happen, but what if it does? And why is $10M unrealistic, if it could put another good player on the team? Tim would be approaching the area of physical decrepitude and age that David was at when he signed his last deal for....drumroll...$10M a year for 2 years.

Also, I don't think Kareem was doing the Lakers a solid, I think the Lakers were doing him one. IIRC, he got ripped off by a business manager, and was basically destitute in his late 30s.

Well sure, if TP does not re-sign, then Tim opting out and taking less money would help in freeing up cap space for additional players. Then again, we don't know how the CBA will shake out and I can't see Tim forgoing money with such a cloudy future.

10M is unrealistic because why would Tim opt out of 21M to take less than half of that just to help out? Tim left some money on the table already, but nothing close to that much in a single year.

If Tim was up for a new contract, sure, I could see him signing for that amount. But I can't see him opting out of 21M just to sign for 10M. Sure, if he is planning on retiring, he might just spread out his 21M over 2 years (10M per) to help out, but I don't know if that is circumventing the CBA and that seems ridiculous.

ChumpDumper
09-26-2010, 11:18 AM
But wouldn't Duncan have to think like Humpy and re-sign no matter what?You're too busy thinking of stupid nicknames to realize I didn't say how Duncan would think other than he wouldn't think like a person who makes stupid nicknames on the internets.

cd98
09-26-2010, 11:32 AM
Ah but not while getting punked in the 1st round or getting swept in the 2nd round.
That's what I'd like to never see again.

And to be sure, Kareem and those Lakers got the same corrupt referee ass kissing that the current Kobmes do so i don't mean to overvalue Kareems age 33 on.
Still, it was impressive and it beat's the crap out of the playoff crap that's been going on in Spursville.

Yeah, but at that time Kareem had another HOF doing all the heavy lifting: Magic Johnson.

I don't see a Magic Johnson on the Spurs roster.

Fabbs
09-26-2010, 12:07 PM
Yeah, but at that time Kareem had another HOF doing all the heavy lifting: Magic Johnson.

I don't see a Magic Johnson on the Spurs roster.
Healthy GNob and Parker can do anything Magic and Byron Scott did except get b.s. Laker reffing.
Difference was/is Pat Riles vs :pop:

ChuckD
09-26-2010, 12:12 PM
Healthy GNob and Parker can do anything Magic and Byron Scott did except get b.s. Laker reffing.
Difference was/is Pat Riles vs :pop:

I always thought you were pretty much fucked in the head. Thanks for the proof.

ohmwrecker
09-26-2010, 12:52 PM
Here ya go Sugar.
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153451&highlight=PollyAnna+Poppers

lol @ you calling someone else an attention whore and providing a link that proves it. This thread is just another idiotic "what if . . . ?" threads that are absolutely worthless. THAT is why I'm not taking it seriously, numbnuts.

Fabbs
09-27-2010, 09:35 AM
Its his choice to do as wishes, I ll cheer for him no matter where he plays....
yep. The PollyAnna Poppers who are *outraged* that Duncan may choose to pursue a title can bite him.

DPG21920
RJ was looking for long-term security. By signing this 40M dollar deal, he very likely came out ahead compared to if he had not opted out and then signed a FA contract else where next season. Especially with the new CBA looming. That is not the same situation.

Tim is, as far as most assume, not looking for another long-term contract.
Not sure what RJ has to do with this, other then being a huge piece of fail recruited by 'Popped and Bumford thus added stimulus for Duncan to leave. Did you think by "Humpy" i meant RJ and not Hump Dumper?

Fabbs
09-27-2010, 09:40 AM
http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2005/02/21/jamiejennedy_narrowweb__200x413.jpg
I always thought you were pretty much fucked in the head. Thanks for the proof.

My apologies. There are things that you would notice that Magic did which Manu and Parker will never do. :lol
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:LT0Qd30O3tGflM:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/bawanaal/magic-johnson-isiah-thomas-kiss.jpg&t=1

DPG21920
09-27-2010, 10:15 AM
Ahh I see.

kaji157
09-27-2010, 12:50 PM
I would hope that if he does, he at least gives a list of teams to the Spurs so they can do a sign n trade for him for whatever value we can get.
We are set for 2 more years, if Timmy opts out that kills our chances for those years.