PDA

View Full Version : Mavericks' improved depth makes them a contender, Mark Cuban says

duncan228
09-25-2010, 09:52 PM
Dallas Mavericks' improved depth makes them a contender, Mark Cuban says (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/092610dnspomavslede.1ff91aa.html)
By Eddie Sefko / The Dallas Morning News

Mark Cuban can rattle off a handful of reasons the Mavericks should be taken seriously as Western Conference threats this season.

Some are legit. Some tilt a bit toward hyperbole. All make sense in the owner's head.

But only one of them represents a potentially significant change from the industrial-sized disappointment with the way last season ended.

Cuban believes – no, he insists – that the Mavericks will have the best collection of backup players in the NBA this season. And there is no question in his mind what kind of difference that can make.

"Our second unit really couldn't win games for us last year," Cuban said. "If you look at teams like San Antonio and Phoenix, their second units won games. We're going to be deep at all positions. People say, well, what difference is the ninth or 10th man on the team?

"Depth matters, and it's going to be a big difference for us. You're going to see us put pressure on teams early because we have depth. We'll have a much stronger second unit. In the playoffs, who beat us? It was George Hill. It wasn't Tony Parker."

Clearly, the owner's pulse still pumps Maverick blue through his veins. The memory of San Antonio's Hill blitzing his team in the playoffs the same way Goran Dragic did for Phoenix against Portland, the Spurs and the Lakers can have a powerful impact.

But in this case, it isn't clouding Cuban's judgment. He's right about his team. Their second group – which likely will include Jason Terry , Shawn Marion , Tyson Chandler and J.J. Barea, plus either Roddy Beaubois or rookie Dominique Jones – has to be a cornerstone, or this team will struggle.

Of course, players such as Terry, Barea and Marion will have to play better than they did last season.

For Cuban, a topic such as the Mavericks' depth is what gets him going. Owning the team continues to be one of the most fun things he does. It gets his mind off of the Securities and Exchange Commission and the rest of real life.

While coach Rick Carlisle's job will be to stress defense above all else when training camp opens Tuesday, he and Cuban both know that the Mavericks' depth will have to be a crucial asset if they are to make this season and the ensuing presumed playoff run better than the last one.

Success by the reserves will have a big trickle-down effect, Cuban said. Or maybe a trickle-up effect on first-team anchors Dirk Nowitzki and Jason Kidd.

"I think people are going to like the toughness we have and how hard we play," he said. "Last year, we had to keep something in reserve. Dirk and J-Kidd had to reserve something for the end of the game. I don't see that happening this year, if we get our second unit going – which I'm sure we will. Our second unit is going to be better than a third of the first teams in the league, if not more."

But enough with the hyperbole.

Cuban sat down for a lengthy interview about the hopes and dreams and issues confronting the Mavericks heading into the preseason. A few of the highlights:

• "Tyson Chandler was the vocal leader of Team USA ," Cuban said. "And watching him scrimmage, he looks great. We expect him to be very vocal. Not to the Kevin Garnett level, but vocal – especially with our young centers."

• "Another thing people will notice now is that Caron Butler has a 6-pack now instead of a 1-pack. I used to give him a hard time that you're not allowed to be chubbier than the owner. But he blew me away. I got to get to the gym.

"Literally, you can see his abs. We're going to have to change up our Old Spice commercial we do with him. Caron Butler's not only on the horse. He is the horse."

• "I'm a big believer in the theory that players in the final year of their contract are good to have [the Mavericks have several]. It's not that they wouldn't play hard otherwise. It just keeps them a little more focused, because every time they go home or talk to their friends, it's on their minds.

"When you have mature players, it works. When you have immature players, it doesn't work. And we've got a lot of smart players."

• "Drafting No. 25 is a lucky spot for us. Dominique Jones is going to help us. Yeah he will [be in the rotation]. Defensively, if nothing else. He defends, and he's smart. The guy works really hard. This guy is driven. Dominique Jones' goal is to be an all-star. He's been here all summer working. He's got the physical talent. And he knows that [fearlessness] is the chip on his shoulder."

badfish22
09-25-2010, 10:06 PM
needed thread

Giuseppe
09-25-2010, 10:08 PM
O & Forever!

Gold Tooth Carl
09-25-2010, 10:23 PM
O & Forever!

Indeed, playa playa!!!

Cuban B
09-25-2010, 10:49 PM
Yo Mark B I need to go get Wesley Pipes and smoke some of what you got yo

Jelloisjigglin
09-25-2010, 11:16 PM
They'll be a contender.......for the playoffs.

#41 Shoot Em Up
09-25-2010, 11:18 PM
They'll be a contender.......for the playoffs.

clever....................faggot

Jelloisjigglin
09-25-2010, 11:36 PM
clever....................faggot

:lol Look punk, i'm not even trying to hate but can you honestly say the Mavs are serious contenders this year ? They can't even get to the point of making the finals..

BlackSwordsMan
09-25-2010, 11:51 PM
spurs gotta represent this year for texas
cowboys aint gonna do it, lol rockets, texans are a fluke team, and mavs :lol

HeatChamps
09-25-2010, 11:53 PM
:lol Mavs

badfish22
09-26-2010, 01:34 AM

:lmao Spurs

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/0925/dal_g_guerrero_b1_288v.jpg

faggot

BRHornet45
09-26-2010, 01:38 AM
sons they can rope the fucking moon for all I care ... the fact of the matter is that as long as that choking vagina white boy Dirk is their "team leader" ... they will NEVER win anything. plain and simple.

balldontlie
09-26-2010, 01:44 AM
Mark Cuban was heard on the radio saying "We have a really, really, really good team" when asked what fans should be excited about this season

Gold Tooth Carl
09-26-2010, 07:50 AM

:lmao Spurs, playa playa, put down the pipe, and just lay down pimpy, it's over, it is over

sribb43
09-26-2010, 09:12 AM
Mavs are one player with depth but th problem is the drop of from Dirk to the rest of the guys is so far, meaning their depth don't mean shit. I don't consider, Stevenson, Mahimi, AjenciA, Cardinal/Novak. There like most good NBA teams with 8to9 quality players.

sefant77
09-26-2010, 10:24 AM
Improved depth means for the Mavs being able to move Terry and Barea down in the rotation and not depending a lot on them. Both get completly destroyed in the defense, Terry is useless without his jumper falling and Barea is in general useless, even if he can cover it sometimes with scoring (with his opponent scoring twice).

Dirk need consistent help and thats not Terry as 2nd or 3rd option. A more slim athletic Butler and Roddy on MIP level, thats at least two players being able to score beside jumpshooting and playing decent or good defense.

Terry 4th scorer in the team and Barea 5th guard behind Kidd, Roddy, Terry and DoJo. DoJo seems to be ready so i hope he is able to get most of Bareas minutes.

Giuseppe
09-26-2010, 10:25 AM
O & Forever!

HeatChamps
09-26-2010, 10:26 AM
Mavs fans nightmare are Wade owning your ass when you thought the championship was yours. They are still dreaming of Dirk getting that trophy but it won't happen. Wade says are you missing something? lol

Giuseppe
09-26-2010, 10:29 AM
^Yep, that's it in a nutshell. & they had the chance to clean house this past summer by letting Dirk go away, but, Cuban thought with his heart instead of his head and now they're doomed for the foreseeable future.

sefant77
09-26-2010, 10:45 AM
Mavs fans nightmare are Wade owning your ass when you thought the championship was yours. They are still dreaming of Dirk getting that trophy but it won't happen. Wade says are you missing something? lol

Sorry it wasnt the great Dumby Wade owning us, it was Salvatore and the Crawfords.

D-Wade #3
09-26-2010, 10:50 AM
Sorry it wasnt the great Dumby Wade owning us, it was Salvatore and the Crawfords.

Gonna cry? :lmao

Giuseppe
09-26-2010, 10:51 AM
That's weak & puny, Sef. You had it in the bag and you got scared of it.

Now yer scarred and Cuban is too stubborn to let go, and rebuild.

sefant77
09-26-2010, 11:01 AM

reading your sig you must be this guy:

http://www.premiere.com/var/ezflow_site/storage/images/galleries/AmericanBeauty1999ChrisCooperColFrankF/44307-1-eng-US/AmericanBeauty1999ChrisCooperColFrankF_imagelarge. jpg

Ace
09-26-2010, 11:08 AM

Speaking of crying, that sig has so much butthurt in it that I'm actually worried about you.

Ditty
09-26-2010, 12:24 PM
:sleep non issue

#41 Shoot Em Up
09-26-2010, 01:07 PM
:sleep non issue

LOL hitting on chicks on spurstalk:lol

TDMVPDPOY
09-26-2010, 01:16 PM
lol ponies

mingus
09-26-2010, 02:33 PM
I laughed my ass off while reading this article.

Giuseppe
09-26-2010, 06:49 PM
At least you can breath thru your nose now.

Ditty
09-26-2010, 07:25 PM
LOL hitting on chicks on spurstalk:lol

lol actually intersted in girls :lmao