PDA

View Full Version : Movies that were good until you saw the ending

Venti Quattro
09-26-2010, 10:27 AM
Knowing
King Kong

What other movies were doing major ass-kicking until you saw the ending and it totally changed your perception of the movie?

Death In June
09-26-2010, 10:36 AM
Lost

silverblk mystix
09-26-2010, 10:40 AM
There will be blood

Shutter Island

Venti Quattro
09-26-2010, 10:45 AM
Shutter Island's ending, I thought, was good.

silverblk mystix
09-26-2010, 10:49 AM
No country for old men

Castaway

silverblk mystix
09-26-2010, 10:51 AM
Shutter Island's ending, I thought, was good.

Yeah...depending on one's perspective...

I guess you could say at least it wasn't a conventional neatly wrapped hollywood ending-but I guess I was at the point of having lately seen too many UNconventional movie endings where they throw a twist at the end just to be different.

So, for me it was a disappointing ending.

Death In June
09-26-2010, 01:31 PM
The ending for buried was cheese. Too predictable.

SpursWoman
09-26-2010, 01:32 PM
The ending of Pay it Forward pissed me off. I LOVED that movie until the end.

resistanze
09-26-2010, 01:33 PM
Se7en, American History X

Spursfan092120
09-26-2010, 01:33 PM
Crazy Heart

I Am Legend

Dex
09-26-2010, 01:55 PM
Titanic

monosylab1k
09-26-2010, 01:59 PM
There will be blood

No country for old men

:lol you might as well have just said "I don't know shit about movies". Both of those endings were terrific.

Drachen
09-26-2010, 02:03 PM
Se7en, American History X

Really?? This is strange to me, unless you are just trying to be unconventional just to be unconventional.

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-26-2010, 02:05 PM
I Am Legend

monosylab1k
09-26-2010, 02:10 PM
Saving Private Ryan had a terrible ending. But the absolute worst was War Of The Worlds. Spielberg had a run of really shitty endings for a while there.

Spursfan092120
09-26-2010, 02:12 PM
Knowing
King Kong

What other movies were doing major ass-kicking until you saw the ending and it totally changed your perception of the movie?
I knew someone was going to take that screen cap of Bynum and put it in their sig..lol

resistanze
09-26-2010, 02:21 PM
Really?? This is strange to me, unless you are just trying to be unconventional just to be unconventional.
Don't know what's so unconventional about saying I didn't like the endings of these particular movies, just because they were generally well-received movies.

I felt the ending for Se7en coming from a mile away, but it didn't changed my entire perception of the movie. Enjoyed it overall, but thought the end was a little lame.

Actually I probably shouldn't have even added American History X, because I don't particularly like the movie overall, anyways. The ending just made me laugh.

baseline bum
09-26-2010, 02:38 PM
Selena

monosylab1k
09-26-2010, 02:39 PM
I felt the ending for Se7en coming from a mile away

so you suspected a Fedex driver would deliver Gwyneth Paltrow's head in a box before it happened? :lol yeah right.

baseline bum
09-26-2010, 02:48 PM
Actually I probably shouldn't have even added American History X, because I don't particularly like the movie overall, anyways. The ending just made me laugh.

Why? Because some dumb teenager was able to easily pull off the job the T-1000 couldn't handle?

howbouthemspurs
09-26-2010, 02:51 PM
"A Low Down Dirty Shame"

resistanze
09-26-2010, 03:00 PM
so you suspected a Fedex driver would deliver Gwyneth Paltrow's head in a box before it happened? :lol yeah right.
OK I was a little off, I was honestly thought he would use DHL.

Why? Because some dumb teenager was able to easily pull off the job the T-1000 couldn't handle?
:lol

CubanSucks
09-26-2010, 03:18 PM
I loved the ending to No Country For Old Men. There Will Be Blood was kind of a let down ending until I read somewhere online that the whole ending sequence could have all been a dream by Daniel, and the way they explained it it actually made complete sense

Spurminator
09-26-2010, 03:21 PM
Million Dollar Baby was a good boxing movie. The turn in the last hour or so was stupid.

Spursfan092120
09-26-2010, 03:33 PM
Million Dollar Baby was a good boxing movie. The turn in the last hour or so was stupid.
forgot about this one..fucking stupid ending.

clambake
09-26-2010, 03:33 PM
the abyss

silverblk mystix
09-26-2010, 03:38 PM
:lol you might as well have just said "I don't know shit about movies". Both of those endings were terrific.

You might as well tell the world you support rapists and criminals with that photo of those hoodlums in the sig.

Those movies were highly overrated and those endings were from some smarmy punk screenwriters who watched one too many movies with unconventional endings and thought they were clever. The critics and dumbfucks like you bought it, though.

I have forgotten more shit in my life than you will ever learn in your entire lifetime.

Oh, Gee!!
09-26-2010, 05:54 PM
Every m night shamaylan movie.

And citizen cane: psyche!

David Bowie
09-26-2010, 07:02 PM
Fight Club.

It's my favorite movie, but I don't really like the ending. I really liked how how the friendship between Tyler Durden and the main character played out in the throughout the movie. When they turned out to be the same person, it was a sort of a let down.

Oh, Gee!!
09-26-2010, 08:57 PM
And how did shooting himself in the face kill tyler but not himself

Sense
09-26-2010, 09:03 PM
Memento..... it kept you guessing throughout the movie and in the end gave no answers, lol just pissed me off more

BlackSwordsMan
09-26-2010, 09:07 PM
godfather 1

redzero
09-26-2010, 09:17 PM
Memento..... it kept you guessing throughout the movie and in the end gave no answers, lol just pissed me off more

Are we talking about the same Memento here?

Sense
09-26-2010, 09:30 PM
Are we talking about the same Memento here?

I don't know? nor do I care if we are?

silverblk mystix
09-26-2010, 09:32 PM

The movie was played backwards...

the ending was at the beginning.

I guess there should be a spoiler alert or something in this thread.

Drachen
09-26-2010, 09:35 PM
It wasn't all played backwards (if I remember correctly). The black and white scenes started at the beginning and went backwards toward the middle. The color scenes started at the beginning and went forward to the middle.

redzero
09-26-2010, 09:47 PM
I don't know? nor do I care if we are?

I don't know, you seem confused. The ending revealed exactly what was going on throughout the movie.

Sense
09-26-2010, 09:56 PM
I don't know, you seem confused. The ending revealed exactly what was going on throughout the movie.

I understand that, what I'm saying is... I kind of wanted an answer rather than it leaving you guessing..

and since it happened at the ending that's why I said it.

The Reckoning
09-26-2010, 10:03 PM
The Black Godfather

Wild Cobra
09-26-2010, 10:05 PM
How about a series rather than movie.

Dexter, season 4. Downer of an ending.

CuckingFunt
09-26-2010, 10:48 PM

By the time the credits role on Memento, you have all the answers. All of them.

CuckingFunt
09-26-2010, 10:51 PM
It wasn't all played backwards (if I remember correctly). The black and white scenes started at the beginning and went backwards toward the middle. The color scenes started at the beginning and went forward to the middle.

Opposite. Black and white scenes go forward from the beginning, color scenes go backward from the end, and they meet in the middle.

CuckingFunt
09-26-2010, 11:04 PM
Some of the answers in this thread are... well, I won't say dumb, because I try my hardest not to argue matters of taste, but... some of the answers in this thread are... unexpected.

Se7en, for instance. Without the ending, that's nothing more than a police procedural with a somewhat Biblical spin. Still well written and well acted, in all likeliness, but not at all special. The thing that sets it apart is the absolute sucker punch of an ending in which, as a viewer, you're every bit as conflicted as Brad Pitt's character; you want him to do what he eventually does, but are sick with the realization he's allowing Spacey to complete his plan. Any other ending would have fucking castrated the film. Including the ending they almost shot, frankly.

And No Country for Old Men has, easily, one of the most graceful endings in recent film. Bleak as hell, but with the same eerie stillness of the preceding two hours. Another case where I think the movie is made special by its final act.

American History X and There Will be Blood... I find those ones a little easier to let slide. I liked both endings, personally, and quite a lot, but can at least see the argument that perhaps AHX is a little melodramatic for its own good and that Daniel Day Lewis' final moments are amusingly hammy.

CuckingFunt
09-26-2010, 11:10 PM
And, not to post whore it up, but in response to the thread's premise, the first movie that comes to mind is Species.

Now, let's be clear, this is not meant to suggest that any part of Species is high quality film making: it's not. The movie is completely cheesy, in fact. Hilariously so. But the first time I saw it, the theater lost power and we weren't able to watch the final 30 minutes. Up to that point, I found it thoroughly enjoyable for mindless summer popcorn entertainment. I went back a week later to watch it again, since the theater gave everyone rain check tickets, and again found the movie to be largely enjoyable right up until the part we'd missed the first time. The final half hour of that movie turns the whole thing from dopey fun to painfully bad.

Trainwreck2100
09-26-2010, 11:10 PM
Rat Race-Funny slapstick till the ending with smashmouth

Drachen
09-26-2010, 11:40 PM
Opposite. Black and white scenes go forward from the beginning, color scenes go backward from the end, and they meet in the middle.

Ok, I saw it right after it came out on DVD (this tells you how long its been), so thanks for clarifying.

Drachen
09-26-2010, 11:42 PM
Supertroopers, great comedy til the end. Then it was just sad.

Trill Clinton
09-26-2010, 11:43 PM
"A Low Down Dirty Shame"

Trill Clinton
09-26-2010, 11:45 PM

Ahh man, that ending was great.

silverblk mystix
09-26-2010, 11:49 PM
Some of the answers in this thread are... well, I won't say dumb, because I try my hardest not to argue matters of taste, but... some of the answers in this thread are... unexpected.

Se7en, for instance. Without the ending, that's nothing more than a police procedural with a somewhat Biblical spin. Still well written and well acted, in all likeliness, but not at all special. The thing that sets it apart is the absolute sucker punch of an ending in which, as a viewer, you're every bit as conflicted as Brad Pitt's character; you want him to do what he eventually does, but are sick with the realization he's allowing Spacey to complete his plan. Any other ending would have fucking castrated the film. Including the ending they almost shot, frankly.

And No Country for Old Men has, easily, one of the most graceful endings in recent film. Bleak as hell, but with the same eerie stillness of the preceding two hours. Another case where I think the movie is made special by its final act.

American History X and There Will be Blood... I find those ones a little easier to let slide. I liked both endings, personally, and quite a lot, but can at least see the argument that perhaps AHX is a little melodramatic for its own good and that Daniel Day Lewis' final moments are amusingly hammy.

Strongly agree with your take on Seven -there would have been no better ending. It added to the movie.

Strongly disagree about No Country however.
I realize they were trying to be poetic and ended the movie with his retelling the wistful dream-but I still thought it was more that the screenwriter wrote himself into a corner and took the lazy way out. Lazy writing IMHO.
Plus the fact that the first 90-95% of the movie was so well written--it was a big letdown.

Latarian Milton
09-26-2010, 11:51 PM
perfect stranger tbh. the first time i saw that movie i thought halle berry was a good woman the whole film till the end when her sissy colleague revealed the truth.

redzero
09-26-2010, 11:57 PM
Strongly agree with your take on Seven -there would have been no better ending. It added to the movie.

I realize they were trying to be poetic and ended the movie with his retelling the wistful dream-but I still thought it was more that the screenwriter wrote himself into a corner and took the lazy way out. Lazy writing IMHO.
Plus the fact that the first 90-95% of the movie was so well written--it was a big letdown.

You do know that No Country For Old Men was adapted from a book, right?

Latarian Milton
09-26-2010, 11:58 PM
Supertroopers, great comedy til the end. Then it was just sad.

the modern comedies aren't quite different movies to you than chaplin's classics tbh.

ynh
09-27-2010, 03:23 AM
Off the top of my head.. Pretty much any movie where the good guy wins when the villian is the more likeable character.

Otherwise.

Inception ... sorry this was just lazy
Signs.. could of been so good
Predator 2
I'd also have to agree with No Country for Old Men.

ynh
09-27-2010, 03:24 AM
Oh and agreed with The Godfather also.

koriwhat
09-27-2010, 04:02 AM

east bound and down.... but at least season 2 is here now.

silverblk mystix
09-27-2010, 05:30 AM
You do know that No Country For Old Men was adapted from a book, right?

It doesn't really matter.
Usually the book is better but a good screenwriter will find a way to translate it to the screen and if something isn't playing out well as a screenplay-then he could re-write a part to make it more powerful as a movie.

The fact that it was a book makes me think the screenwriter was actually lazier than I already thought he was because I thought the ending was weak.
Apparently a lot of critics and moviegoers liked the ending though.

monosylab1k
09-27-2010, 08:20 AM
And, not to post whore it up, but in response to the thread's premise, the first movie that comes to mind is Species.

Now, let's be clear, this is not meant to suggest that any part of Species is high quality film making: it's not. The movie is completely cheesy, in fact. Hilariously so. But the first time I saw it, the theater lost power and we weren't able to watch the final 30 minutes. Up to that point, I found it thoroughly enjoyable for mindless summer popcorn entertainment. I went back a week later to watch it again, since the theater gave everyone rain check tickets, and again found the movie to be largely enjoyable right up until the part we'd missed the first time. The final half hour of that movie turns the whole thing from dopey fun to painfully bad.

All I remember about that movie was tits. Lots of tits. But I was 12 when it came out, so that's all I remember about anything.

monosylab1k
09-27-2010, 08:22 AM
It doesn't really matter.
Usually the book is better but a good screenwriter will find a way to translate it to the screen and if something isn't playing out well as a screenplay-then he could re-write a part to make it more powerful as a movie.

The fact that it was a book makes me think the screenwriter was actually lazier than I already thought he was because I thought the ending was weak.
Apparently a lot of critics and moviegoers liked the ending though.

In other words, you didn't know it was adapted from a book and were talking out of your ass.

But maybe that was just the shit your forgot.

desflood
09-27-2010, 08:39 AM
Because I've been on an '80's movie kick lately;

Silver Bullet.

Half decent werewolf flick right up to the end, but then... "I love you too, Marty." WTF? Sometimes cheese and gore go well together, but never, EVER like that.

ididnotnothat
09-27-2010, 08:39 AM
Can't really say any ending ever ruined a movie for me.

Drachen
09-27-2010, 08:45 AM
All I remember about that movie was tits. Lots of tits. But I was 12 when it came out, so that's all I remember about anything.

This is kinda how I felt about Hackers. It was PG-13, but it had tits in it so that was my most memorable part.

Girasuck
09-27-2010, 09:13 AM
Rat Race is a good one. That would be in my all-time Top 10 movie list if the ending was different. I can't stand Smashmouth.

Fabbs
09-27-2010, 09:53 AM
I'd also have to agree with No Country for Old Men.
yep.

JoeChalupa
09-27-2010, 10:18 AM
I wonder why movie producers stopped using "The End".

DJ Mbenga
09-27-2010, 12:50 PM
didn't like inceptions ending. taxi drivers ending was cool when i thought it was all his imagination only to find out scorcesse said it was all legit and an attack on the media instead. that ending is weak.

CuckingFunt
09-27-2010, 04:20 PM
didn't like inceptions ending. taxi drivers ending was cool when i thought it was all his imagination only to find out scorcesse said it was all legit and an attack on the media instead. that ending is weak.

Why would you have thought the ending of Taxi Driver took place all in Bickle's imagination? And why would that make it more satisfying?

silverblk mystix
09-27-2010, 04:28 PM
In other words, you didn't know it was adapted from a book and were talking out of your ass.

But maybe that was just the shit your forgot.

yeah maybe...if you knew me you might say i often talk out my ass..

no shame in my game..

but it has been quite awhile since I saw that movie and i have forgotten alot of other shit, too

but the thread title does refer to movies that you saw and thought were good --until you saw the ending...

and that ending still sucks --to me.

Somehow, it gets YOU pretty butthurt that I wasn't fuckin enchanted with No country...it just tears you a new one that I didn't walk out of the theatre whistling the andy griffith theme song through my a-hole and dancing like fred-fuckin-astaire while smiling ear-to-ear and helping old fuckin ladies crossing the street and shouting out loud...WHAT A GREAT FUCKIN' MOVIE---BUT---BUT---THAT ENDING---WHHOOOOOO---SHIT--YOU NEVER SEEN AN ENDING TIL YOU SEE THAT ENDING!!!!!!!!

z0sa
09-27-2010, 04:32 PM
if you knew me you might say i often talk out my ass..

I think most posters here realize that without "knowing you" too well. Not that we'd want to.

MannyIsGod
09-27-2010, 04:41 PM

Gonna have to school more ignorant mfers about NCFOM

MannyIsGod
09-27-2010, 04:41 PM
Saving Private Ryan had a terrible ending. But the absolute worst was War Of The Worlds. Spielberg had a run of really shitty endings for a while there.

You can blame HG Wells of that ending.

MannyIsGod
09-27-2010, 04:44 PM
You might as well tell the world you support rapists and criminals with that photo of those hoodlums in the sig.

Those movies were highly overrated and those endings were from some smarmy punk screenwriters who watched one too many movies with unconventional endings and thought they were clever. The critics and dumbfucks like you bought it, though.

I have forgotten more shit in my life than you will ever learn in your entire lifetime.

How was the NCFOM trying to be clever? That storyline was extremely straightforward but its obvious you were too stupid to understand it.

MannyIsGod
09-27-2010, 04:47 PM

How the fuck is that lazy writing? That makes no fucking sense.

I swear to god NCFOM is the least understood movie talked about on Spurstalk on a regular basis and its so damn obvious.

MannyIsGod
09-27-2010, 04:48 PM
Oh, and as for the OP - 3:10 to Yuma's ending was fucking TERRIBLE.

Spurminator
09-27-2010, 05:12 PM
Frailty is another one.

silverblk mystix
09-27-2010, 05:14 PM
How the fuck is that lazy writing? That makes no fucking sense.

I swear to god NCFOM is the least understood movie talked about on Spurstalk on a regular basis and its so damn obvious.

I don't know who pulled your fuckin string or why the fuck you are even taking jabs at me...but go ahead...enjoy yourself...

I felt it was lazy writing because I felt let down at the ending...and it felt like a disappointing ending.

If the book ends exactly the same way but somehow feels right--then it is up to the screenwriter to write and adapt it to the screen so that it translates well and gives the viewer the same or similar feeling.
(I did not read the book-so maybe that is why I didn't feel it--but a good screenwriter---or a great screenwriter, will make it work)

In other words, if the book's ending satisfies-but the movie's ending does not...something was lost and it usually comes down to the screenwriter dropping the ball.

I also don't think the movie is as misunderstood as it is just overrated. It is a good movie and the first 75-85% of the movie may even be great-but the ending , I believe, is why you may hear people--not as enchanted with it as you apparently seem to be.

MannyIsGod
09-27-2010, 05:52 PM
I don't know who pulled your fuckin string or why the fuck you are even taking jabs at me...but go ahead...enjoy yourself...

I felt it was lazy writing because I felt let down at the ending...and it felt like a disappointing ending.

If the book ends exactly the same way but somehow feels right--then it is up to the screenwriter to write and adapt it to the screen so that it translates well and gives the viewer the same or similar feeling.
(I did not read the book-so maybe that is why I didn't feel it--but a good screenwriter---or a great screenwriter, will make it work)

In other words, if the book's ending satisfies-but the movie's ending does not...something was lost and it usually comes down to the screenwriter dropping the ball.

I also don't think the movie is as misunderstood as it is just overrated. It is a good movie and the first 75-85% of the movie may even be great-but the ending , I believe, is why you may hear people--not as enchanted with it as you apparently seem to be.

You're just a lazy ass movie watcher, IMO. A movie simply doesn't have the climax at the very end and its lazy to you because its not the standard formula? That makes PERFECT sense.

I honestly don't give a shit if a movie is overrated or is well received. There are plenty of movies I own that most people think are horrible or were critically panned but thats not the point. The point is that your criticisms make little to no sense. You want someone to follow a damn formula that is used time and time and time and time and time again and when someone deviates from that they're considered lazy?

I've never read the book, but I understood the point of the final scene that takes place after the climax and I felt it was very well done and completely inline with the story that was being told. There was nothing lazy about it.

And no, people just don't get that movie. You're not the first on here or the last, but when people can't even name the proper protagonist then I know they didn't understand the point. It has nothing to do with it being overrated.

CuckingFunt
09-27-2010, 07:15 PM
Frailty is another one.

Didn't even think about this one, but good fucking call. I had absolutely no desire to see this movie until a friend rented it and was quite surprised at how effective it turned out to be. As soon as they revealed that he actually was killing demons, though, it absolutely ruined the movie. The idea of whackjob dad teaching his kids to be serial killers was far more compelling without the God quest shit tacked on.

CuckingFunt
09-27-2010, 07:19 PM

You have thus far been unable to articulate why you felt let down, why it was disappointing, or why it was lazy writing. To say it's lazy because you don't like it really doesn't amount to anything.

CuckingFunt
09-27-2010, 07:20 PM
shut your cocksucker

Assuming you mean my mouth, I don't typically need to open it when responding, in writing, on a message board.

silverblk mystix
09-27-2010, 07:54 PM
You have thus far been unable to articulate why you felt let down, why it was disappointing, or why it was lazy writing. To say it's lazy because you don't like it really doesn't amount to anything.

Somehow you and a couple of others here feel very strongly about this and I just don't get it. I also didn't get why the critics were gushing so much praise at this movie--and maybe that is it;

when i finally got to seeing this movie it was way after it had been out and its time had passed.

Sometimes when you see a movie that was so universally praised-you are expecting greatness...and if it doesn't deliver greatness then you end up feeling kinda let down. That is pretty much MY experience of this movie---I felt it was good but I had expected great not just good.

The ending to me just left me feeling disappointed--the main word there is FEELING...it was a feeling...it is hard to articulate because it wasn't some technical detail or something wrong with the acting or anything like that.
It was a feeling that I had been left unsatisfied. I want to see a movie that leaves you satisfied-like you have been taken on an adventure and at the end you want to feel satisfied-otherwise it feels like a failure to me. Not a failure as in the movie sucked-but a failure as in it could have been one of the great ones. Lazy because I am hard on screenwriters and want screenwriters to amaze me-as a movie watcher/movie lover.

That is all I got--this movie wasn't that great to take this much time to try to defend why it left ME unsatisfied. Kudos to you guys because you thought it was so great. Nothing wrong with that and nothing wrong with being underwhelmed either.

redzero
09-27-2010, 08:01 PM
silverblk mystix wanted to see a final showdown between Anton Chigurh and Llewelyn Moss.

CuckingFunt
09-27-2010, 08:03 PM
silverblk mystix wanted to see a final showdown between Anton Chigurh and Llewelyn Moss.

Which brings us back to "didn't get it."

silverblk mystix
09-27-2010, 08:13 PM
You're just a lazy ass movie watcher, IMO. A movie simply doesn't have the climax at the very end and its lazy to you because its not the standard formula? That makes PERFECT sense.

I honestly don't give a shit if a movie is overrated or is well received. There are plenty of movies I own that most people think are horrible or were critically panned but thats not the point. The point is that your criticisms make little to no sense. You want someone to follow a damn formula that is used time and time and time and time and time again and when someone deviates from that they're considered lazy?

I've never read the book, but I understood the point of the final scene that takes place after the climax and I felt it was very well done and completely inline with the story that was being told. There was nothing lazy about it.

And no, people just don't get that movie. You're not the first on here or the last, but when people can't even name the proper protagonist then I know they didn't understand the point. It has nothing to do with it being overrated.

Well, you seem to have come out of the blue and decided to insult me. Who the fuck are you? What is a lazy ass movie watcher? Someone who feels differently about a movie than you do?
When this movie came out-there had already been a cycle of unconventional movie endings and endings with crazy twists and double twists and surprise and super-surprise endings ad-nauseum...
So you would never know where I was in that stupid cycle...I may have already been sick of unconventional endings and was hoping for a good-old fashioned standard ending...

And maybe you were in your I am holier-than-you movie watching phase because I just got my SAG card and now I know shit about cinema phase...

who fucking knows

The point is that there is no fucking standard for what movie will satisfy all watchers at all times.

The fact that it left me feeling unsatisfied-especially the ending- has nothing to do with understanding the movie or lack of sophistication of movies and screenplays. It has everything to do with whether the movie was powerful enough to seduce a moviegoer from start to finish and timely enough to seduce a moviegoer at the time that the moviegoer is most receptive to be enthralled and enchanted. Somehow-I did not fall under the same spell you did for my own particular reasons.

MannyIsGod
09-27-2010, 08:56 PM
None of your drivel explains how it was lazy writing but it sure points to you not understanding the point. You're right that I probably shouldn't have insulted you and to be fair most of my frustration is due to you simply being the latest in the line of people on this site who just didn't get the movie and have disliked it because of it simply going over their head even if they didn't realize it.

Now, the point still stands that your description of why you didn't like it has completely changed with each post you make. Lazy screenwriting to lazy adapting to I just can't explain why I didn't like it. Well, if you can't explain it then its because you didn't get it. When I don't like something I know why.

silverblk mystix
09-27-2010, 09:07 PM
Which brings us back to "didn't get it."

I guess you are one of the proud artsy people who can't stand anything conventional.

Just because you CAN end a movie without a resolution doesn't mean it will be better than resolving it.

The lazy screenwriter can say, ``well everyone will be expecting good to triumph over evil--so I will do the opposite...better yet...I will just leave it -UN-resolved and that will fuck with everyone's mind!''

The brilliant screenwriter will say, ``everyone will be expecting good to triumph over evil....the lazy hack will try to be clever and do the opposite...but I am going to do the work and write the ending that the movie deserves--WITHOUT resorting to the conventional hollywood ending.''

And then he will get his hands dirty and come up with something brilliant and inspired-especially since it has already been done a million times---it will be a million times harder--but that is WHY he is a brilliant screenwriter.

Just like a poet or a lyricist who has to come up with a NEW way to say I love you. It seems impossible-because it has been done a million times-but if you are great--you can do it.

So, just because the Coen brothers said fuck you to convention and tried to impress the snobs and wanna-be contrarians sucking up to them--

they still weren't brilliant enough to make a movie that satisfied til the very end--

they wrote something and at the very end--instead of having the balls and brilliance---

TO SHOW YOU THE ENDING

Decided to instead;

Have an actor-----TELL you about it!!!!:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

LAZY ....LAZY...LAZY!!!!!!!

MannyIsGod
09-27-2010, 09:11 PM
So you think there was no resolution in NCFOM?

redzero
09-27-2010, 09:15 PM
What's with this talk about the screenwriter? Again, the ending in the movie was similar to the ending in the book. That has nothing to do with being lazy.

ginobili's bald spot
09-27-2010, 09:19 PM

I doubt it. You come across as extremely simple minded and uneducated in most of your posts. The reason you didn't like No Country for Old Men is probably because it was over your head.

MannyIsGod
09-27-2010, 09:25 PM
Dude thinks that because Chigurh got away there was no resolution and then wants to act like he got the point of the movie.

Classic.

Fabbs
09-27-2010, 09:28 PM
:lol MultiTroll trying to pawn off "anyone who doesn't like the ending of NCFOM must have had it go over their head".

silverblk mystix
09-27-2010, 09:40 PM
So you think there was no resolution in NCFOM?

OK ...disclosure;

I understand that the point to Anton not getting caught, evil continuing,etc..
is how real life is---i get it

I understand that giving it a formulaic hollywood neat bow-tied ending--would be boring and lame---i get it

I understand the movie stayed faithful to the book---I get it.

So---again---this is MY opinion...MY experience of the movie;

The movie was well done from the start to just before the last two scenes.
It had a beginning-middle...and then they just didn't finish it...it never resolved.

You can say a million things;
the ending forces you to think about it, life is not neat and evil exists everywhere...etc..
all this is true but the movie never finished...

one of the cardinal sins of moviemaking is don't tell the audience what you can do - just SHOW them...

well the Coen brothers commit this sin---in the climactic scene of the entire movie...instead of showing you how it ends...they tell you..

it is UNsatisfying.............TO ME.

It is unresolved.

I would have hoped that a brilliant screenwriter would have written something unexpected---but still with a resolution to leave you SOMEWHERE after taking you on a tense, taut, spooky and uneasy thrill ride.

I wanted to like this movie--Javier Bardem has always been solid since I started watching him in Spanish cinema (The Sea Inside,Before Night
Falls,Jamon Jamon,etc)
Tommy Lee Jones...always solid.

Most everything the Coen Brothers have done has been superb.

But give me a satisfying ending--conventional or not.

Maybe I am in the minority here-but I am not impressed when someone tries to be clever, avant-garde, unconventional---and does NOT pull it off. In my opinion-it was a nice try but they did not pull it off.
Hate to say it but this was JUST AS BAD...

as if they had pulled a tired hollywood convention bow-tied neat ending.

CuckingFunt
09-27-2010, 09:45 PM
I guess you are one of the proud artsy people who can't stand anything conventional.

Just because you CAN end a movie without a resolution doesn't mean it will be better than resolving it.

What ending would have satisfied your desire for resolution? A big shootout in which Chigurh is brought to justice?

The lazy screenwriter can say, ``well everyone will be expecting good to triumph over evil--so I will do the opposite...better yet...I will just leave it -UN-resolved and that will fuck with everyone's mind!''

The brilliant screenwriter will say, ``everyone will be expecting good to triumph over evil....the lazy hack will try to be clever and do the opposite...but I am going to do the work and write the ending that the movie deserves--WITHOUT resorting to the conventional hollywood ending.''

And then he will get his hands dirty and come up with something brilliant and inspired-especially since it has already been done a million times---it will be a million times harder--but that is WHY he is a brilliant screenwriter.

So, then, avoiding convention is lazy, but brilliance is shown by an ability to avoid convention? Gotcha.

So, just because the Coen brothers said fuck you to convention and tried to impress the snobs and wanna-be contrarians sucking up to them--

they still weren't brilliant enough to make a movie that satisfied til the very end--

No. They still weren't brilliant enough to make a movie that satisfied YOU till the very end. Important distinction.

silverblk mystix
09-27-2010, 09:46 PM
I doubt it. You come across as extremely simple minded and uneducated in most of your posts. The reason you didn't like No Country for Old Men is probably because it was over your head.

Well, that is because I am simple minded-who needs to be complicated.

As far as education..I actually have a pretty damn good one;

it has taken me years to get over it.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
Yeah, the screenwriter should have abandoned the entire concept of the book and just told Cormac to suck on it.

I would have loved to see the movie A Country for Old Men.

redzero
I don't know how you can like other Coen Brothers movies when several of them don't neatly resolve everything.

MannyIsGod
09-27-2010, 09:48 PM
Wait, so now it does have a resolution?

Can you please state your fucking opinion and not change it every god damn post?

MannyIsGod
09-27-2010, 09:49 PM
Just to be clear - I don't give a shit that you didn't like it. Thats fine. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But you not liking it doesn't mean it was lazy screen writing. Thats what you don't seem to get.

silverblk mystix
09-27-2010, 09:50 PM
Yeah, the screenwriter should have abandoned the entire concept of the book and just told Cormac to suck on it.

It was not only the screenwriter. The producer and director could have been swayed-IF the screenwriter came up with something brilliant.

There is no set rules. Cormac McCarthy doesn't necessarily have to approve. It may be part of the deal but most times it is not part of the deal.

Stephen King has had many books that were made into movies that did not stay 100% faithful to the book and were good movies.

MannyIsGod
09-27-2010, 09:52 PM
:lmao

MannyIsGod
09-27-2010, 09:55 PM
The Cohen brothers weren't the only ones at fault because The Cohen brothers could have changed it too.

CuckingFunt
09-27-2010, 09:59 PM

A Country Where Old Men Win.

silverblk mystix
09-27-2010, 10:00 PM
Wait, so now it does have a resolution?

Can you please state your fucking opinion and not change it every god damn post?

You seem to want a black and white answer.

I tried explaining that it was unsatisfying-because I FELT unsatisfied after the ending.

THAT was not good enough--you tried to deride me and insult me and say that---IF you DON'T know why or CAN'T explain it--it musta gone over your head.

So I tried to explain it in terms you WOULD understand since you seem to NEED to have me explain it in technical terms...

NOW-you don't LIKE my explanation --that at the core--is that the ending is unsatisfying TO ME --as a moviegoer...

You now want MY OPINION????

That is what I said from the start---

this thread is asking people to name movies you THOUGHT were good--UNTIL THE ENDING!!!!

THIS movie for me hits that on the fuckin' nail. The ending ruined it for me.

I am getting the distinct impression that you guys have had this debate when the movie first came out and it was divided into people who liked the movie but hated the ending---and people who loved the movie BECAUSE of the ending....

and your response at that time----AND NOW;

is that those who didn't like the ending:
a) just didn't get it

b) are just not as smart and sophisticated as you are

c) are beneath you

am I getting warm here?

MannyIsGod
09-27-2010, 10:03 PM
Nope.

People can not like the ending and still get it. You first said there was no resolution, then you said there was. Which post am I supposed to believe?

You change your stance with every post. Do you not see this? At this point I'm just fucking with you while I watch MNF because you're obviously not very smart and have the debate skills of a retarded monkey.

redzero
09-27-2010, 10:06 PM
Well, I guess I'll actually contribute now and say The Road. This Cormac McCarthy book turned film actually seemed pointless. I don't even know why. I like some movies that go absolutely nowhere plot-wise, but this one didn't connect with me.

09-27-2010, 10:08 PM
Well, I guess I'll actually contribute now and say The Road. This Cormac McCarthy book turned film actually seemed pointless. I don't even know why. I like some movies that go absolutely nowhere plot-wise, but this one didn't connect with me.

Great read, hard to watch.

Pretty tough material to work with, though.

silverblk mystix
09-27-2010, 10:09 PM
What ending would have satisfied your desire for resolution? A big shootout in which Chigurh is brought to justice?

THAT---is the million dollar question. THAT is where I was hoping a brilliant screenwriter would come in---and blow my mind with something brilliant. If I knew exactly what--I would be an award winning screenwriter right now.

So, then, avoiding convention is lazy, but brilliance is shown by an ability to avoid convention? Gotcha.

*** NO-Brilliance would be to write something conventional that resolves --and is STILL brilliant even though it has been done before...

***OR---if you want to go the unconventional way and impress the snobs---just have the talent to pull it off convincingly.

No. They still weren't brilliant enough to make a movie that satisfied YOU till the very end. Important distinction.

Yes and NO

yes-it did NOT satisfy ME til the very end.

AND

NO-

a LOT of other people were not satisfied with the ending either--it was pretty split from what I remember reading at the time.

CuckingFunt
09-27-2010, 10:10 PM
is that those who didn't like the ending:
a) just didn't get it

b) are just not as smart and sophisticated as you are

c) are beneath you

am I getting warm here?

You're not, actually.

I haven't seen anyone in this thread say you're not allowed to not like the ending of No Country for Old Men. Or the movie in its entirety, for that matter. In fact, I know several people personally who didn't like the ending and, while I still disagree with their points, I respect and understand their opinion. Because they have been able to articulate it to me in a way that makes clear their overall understanding of the film/its ending, and have been able to explain their specific reasons for not liking the way the film ends.

You have yet to do that. And, frankly, you're not in any way required to provide us with such an explanation. You could, at any time, say "I didn't like it, and that's that" and this conversation would end. So long as you insist on offering your opinion, however, I have no problem pointing out the many ways in which it is completely senseless. That's kind of how the discussion part of discussion forums works.

Crookshanks
Silent Hill - not a very good movie, but the ending was really crappy.

MannyIsGod
I never read it but I can see how a novel of that nature is hard to translate to film. I did watch it and I thought it was worthy of being labeled a good movie. Pretty tough to convey that type of landscape though.

LnGrrrR
09-27-2010, 10:11 PM
I assume this thread was made for Unbreakable.

4>0rings
09-27-2010, 10:12 PM
Passion of the Christ

silverblk mystix
09-27-2010, 10:12 PM
Nope.

People can not like the ending and still get it. You first said there was no resolution, then you said there was. Which post am I supposed to believe?

You change your stance with every post. Do you not see this? At this point I'm just fucking with you while I watch MNF because you're obviously not very smart and have the debate skills of a retarded monkey.

Well since you are back to insults again it seems I am wasting my time again.

So fuck you.

MannyIsGod
09-27-2010, 10:13 PM
The main point of contention with the dumbass of the day was his labeling of the screen writing as lazy. Sure, you are allowed not to like it but everything you dislike is not the victim of lazy screen writing.

LnGrrrR
09-27-2010, 10:17 PM
Signs.. could of been so good

The very idea of the Signs movie pisses me off. Aliens that can travel to another planet, but decide to invade a planet that's 70% filled with water? You know, the stuff that KILLS them? ARGH. This movie makes me irrationally pissed, and I can't understand why anyone will defend this movie.

redzero
09-27-2010, 10:20 PM
The very idea of the Signs movie pisses me off. Aliens that can travel to another planet, but decide to invade a planet that's 70% filled with water? You know, the stuff that KILLS them? ARGH. This movie makes me irrationally pissed, and I can't understand why anyone will defend this movie.

Reminds me of this: http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=signs

LnGrrrR
You can blame HG Wells of that ending.

Eh, the whole destruction phase is the first part of the book, IIRC. The second part is him dealing with isolation. (Been awhile since I read it, could be wrong.)

silverblk mystix
You're not, actually.

I haven't seen anyone in this thread say you're not allowed to not like the ending of No Country for Old Men. Or the movie in its entirety, for that matter. In fact, I know several people personally who didn't like the ending and, while I still disagree with their points, I respect and understand their opinion. Because they have been able to articulate it to me in a way that makes clear their overall understanding of the film/its ending, and have been able to explain their specific reasons for not liking the way the film ends.

You have yet to do that. And, frankly, you're not in any way required to provide us with such an explanation. You could, at any time, say "I didn't like it, and that's that" and this conversation would end. So long as you insist on offering your opinion, however, I have no problem pointing out the many ways in which it is completely senseless. That's kind of how the discussion part of discussion forums works.

Well I liked the movie and I didn't like the ending.

And I don't really care if you want it articulated to your satisfaction because as many times as I tried to answer your questions and get the point across-it seemed that it was never good enough to stop you and a couple of others from demanding --MORE explanations.

Apparently this movie means a lot to you guys.

The insults that were thrown at me say a lot about the people throwing the insults.

Good night.

CuckingFunt
Signs pissed me off in a manner similar to Frailty. Again, I found the film much more compelling when you think the guy is just nuts. As soon as you know that there are actually aliens, and you see them, it turned into a different movie for me and I completely disengaged.

LnGrrrR
09-27-2010, 10:21 PM
Great read, hard to watch.

Pretty tough material to work with, though.

I just picked up this book at the mall for 3 bucks. Looking forward to reading it on my 14 hour flight to home.

4>0rings
09-27-2010, 10:22 PM
What if they were moving their whole race, their ships were disabled and they had to drop out of hyperdrive in our solar system. They were running out of supplies and needed Earth for their civilization to survive and had no other choice. Eh.... eh... eh....

MannyIsGod
09-27-2010, 10:22 PM

I can see what you're saying but I basically think that focusing on the larger picture is important for Signs. I don't think its as good as the 6th Sense but I definitely think its a good movie.

Its definitely illogical but I think I have to ignore something in almost every movie or I'd never enjoy one. IE why the fuck couldn't Frodo just ride the giant eagle to the fucking mountain in the first place?

MannyIsGod
09-27-2010, 10:24 PM
Well since you are back to insults again it seems I am wasting my time again.

So fuck you.

If you hold true to form you'll be loving me by your next post so meh.

LnGrrrR
09-27-2010, 10:26 PM
Signs pissed me off in a manner similar to Frailty. Again, I found the film much more compelling when you think the guy is just nuts. As soon as you know that there are actually aliens, and you see them, it turned into a different movie for me and I completely disengaged.

The ONLY barely acceptable explanation I've heard from someone is the whole religious angle. (It says over the radio that the aliens are driven off, but we're only explicitly shown the one alien in Mel Gibson's household, who is driven off by the BLESSED water. The person then implied that it was God, or belief in him, which drove off the (assumed) non-religious aliens.) This viewer also explained away the "invader" angle by claiming that the aliens actually were trying to just make contact but had no idea of our culture.

It was a shitty argument, but the only one I've ever heard that made me think for more than half a second.

Nathan Explosion
09-27-2010, 10:29 PM

Um, the book, radio broadcast and original movie of War of the Worlds all had an ending where the aliens die by a virus/bacteria that kills them off.

Speilberg had nothing to do with that one.

If it hasn't been mentioned already, I'd have to say Signs. The movie had a great buildup but a terrible, hurried ending.

CuckingFunt
09-27-2010, 10:29 PM
The ONLY barely acceptable explanation I've heard from someone is the whole religious angle. (It says over the radio that the aliens are driven off, but we're only explicitly shown the one alien in Mel Gibson's household, who is driven off by the BLESSED water. The person then implied that it was God, or belief in him, which drove off the (assumed) non-religious aliens.) This viewer also explained away the "invader" angle by claiming that the aliens actually were trying to just make contact but had no idea of our culture.

It was a shitty argument, but the only one I've ever heard that made me think for more than half a second.

That would just make me hate it more.

MannyIsGod
09-27-2010, 10:31 PM
So no one agrees with me on 3:10 to Yuma? They build up Crowe's character as the antichrist and then all of a sudden he's Mr. Nice Guy? Now THAT was lazy screen writing.

CuckingFunt
09-27-2010, 10:32 PM
Oh, another one: The Ring. Fuck that movie.

I don't like horror in general, so I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the first two-thirds or so of that movie. Great suspense, great building tension, all based on being creepy rather than overtly scary. I really liked it. As soon as it goes for the obvious scares, though, it falls apart. It's unintentional comedy by the time the little girl crawls out of the TV and all that great buildup is for naught.

CuckingFunt
09-27-2010, 10:34 PM
So no one agrees with me on 3:10 to Yuma? They build up Crowe's character as the antichrist and then all of a sudden he's Mr. Nice Guy? Now THAT was lazy screen writing.

I don't remember being bothered by that ending, but I haven't watched that movie since shortly after it came out. I can't place the details.

Should probably watch the damn thing again, now that I think about it, since I own it.

Spurminator
Oh, and Hancock.

Once (SPOILER ALERT) Charlise Theron's identity is revealed, it just gets really stupid. I thought it was pretty good before that.

LnGrrrR
I can see what you're saying but I basically think that focusing on the larger picture is important for Signs. I don't think its as good as the 6th Sense but I definitely think its a good movie.

Its definitely illogical but I think I have to ignore something in almost every movie or I'd never enjoy one. IE why the fuck couldn't Frodo just ride the giant eagle to the fucking mountain in the first place?

Yeah, the eagles thing is obvious for LOTR, but you can at least say something like, "Hey, maybe the eagles are busy" or some other nonsense, because if the eagles could fly them... well, no journey. Even Tolkien said something to that effect.

The problem with Signs is that there are SO MANY inconsistencies. The whole idea of invasion of a planet filled with water, when water kills you, is just one thing that's hard to swallow. But let's look at some other aspects that really piss me off:

1) Not only do they invade, they don't even wear protective garments. Heck, they could have just stolen a fucking trashbag from the kitchen.

2) These aliens are supposed to be threatening right? The beginning of the movie certainly plays them up as terrifying invaders. And then one of them gets LOCKED IN A FUCKING CLOSET. Really? I'm supposed to be afraid of an alien that gets locked in a closet? You didn't bring a laser gun with you? How about a lockpick? You moronic aliens.

3) The aliens get routed in... what, a day or two? And the radio broadcast just happens to go out as soon as the Gibson family defeats their invader. Did the whole world just decide to turn supersoakers on them at once? Some sort of mass spontaneous thought generation?

4) WATER! FUCKING WATER HURTS THEM! ARGH!

redzero

I liked the ending even though it was illogical. Crowe and Bale's characters were developing some kind of respect for each other as the movie went on.

Spurminator
09-27-2010, 10:35 PM
If it hasn't been mentioned already, I'd have to say Signs. The movie had a great buildup but a terrible, hurried ending.

LnGrrrR
09-27-2010, 10:36 PM
Oh, and Hancock.

Once (SPOILER ALERT) Charlise Theron's identity is revealed, it just gets really stupid. I thought it was pretty good before that.

Totally agreed. Rest of the movie went to crap after that. A movie about a world with a lone superhero is much more interesting. Instead, writers go the easy way out, provide another superhero, and engage in cheesy battles. I'd love to see an "indie-ish" flick about a lone superhero.

Cry Havoc
09-27-2010, 10:36 PM
Well I liked the movie and I didn't like the ending.

And I don't really care if you want it articulated to your satisfaction because as many times as I tried to answer your questions and get the point across-it seemed that it was never good enough to stop you and a couple of others from demanding --MORE explanations.

Apparently this movie means a lot to you guys.

The insults that were thrown at me say a lot about the people throwing the insults.

Good night.

I just wanted to say that watching you continually embarrass yourself has given me yet another reason to continue looking forward to logging onto SpursTalk on a daily basis. This thread is so full of hilarity.

Newsflash, pal: If you vehemently state you don't like something in a manner that makes it sound unconditional/unassailable, but you are unable to articulate why, then yes, you lack the intellectual ability to make your feelings or viewpoints lucid. Don't blame people for not understanding you when you are unable to even give a single reason beyond, "It's the way I FEEL!"

You talk a lot of shit and then when someone simply asks you to explain what you mean, you can't. And when someone tells you this in a calm manner, you flip the fuck out and start ripping people. This is the exact same pattern as the other threads you have been vocal in.

So let me hazard a guess: You hated the movie because the cop didn't catch the bad guy and that pissed you off and insulted your pride as an officer? :lol

LnGrrrR
09-27-2010, 10:37 PM
That would just make me hate it more.

:lol Yeah, but at least then the movie would have a point (as shitty a point as it is.) As a straight up sci-fi or horror flick, it fails completely.

Spurminator
09-27-2010, 10:39 PM
How about Independence Day? I think history now looks upon that movie as a typical mindless summer blockbuster, but until they upload the virus I don't remember it being that bad.

jacobdrj
09-27-2010, 10:41 PM
Star Trek Generations... WTF!!!???!!!

MannyIsGod
09-27-2010, 10:42 PM
Yeah, the eagles thing is obvious for LOTR, but you can at least say something like, "Hey, maybe the eagles are busy" or some other nonsense, because if the eagles could fly them... well, no journey. Even Tolkien said something to that effect.

The problem with Signs is that there are SO MANY inconsistencies. The whole idea of invasion of a planet filled with water, when water kills you, is just one thing that's hard to swallow. But let's look at some other aspects that really piss me off:

1) Not only do they invade, they don't even wear protective garments. Heck, they could have just stolen a fucking trashbag from the kitchen.

2) These aliens are supposed to be threatening right? The beginning of the movie certainly plays them up as terrifying invaders. And then one of them gets LOCKED IN A FUCKING CLOSET. Really? I'm supposed to be afraid of an alien that gets locked in a closet? You didn't bring a laser gun with you? How about a lockpick? You moronic aliens.

3) The aliens get routed in... what, a day or two? And the radio broadcast just happens to go out as soon as the Gibson family defeats their invader. Did the whole world just decide to turn supersoakers on them at once? Some sort of mass spontaneous thought generation?

:lol Ok fair enough.

MannyIsGod
09-27-2010, 10:42 PM
I just wanted to say that watching you continually embarrass yourself has given me yet another reason to continue looking forward to logging onto SpursTalk on a daily basis. This thread is so full of hilarity.

Newsflash, pal: If you vehemently state you don't like something in a manner that makes it sound unconditional/unassailable, but you are unable to articulate why, then yes, you lack the intellectual ability to make your feelings or viewpoints lucid. Don't blame people for not understanding you when you are unable to even give a single reason beyond, "It's the way I FEEL!"

You talk a lot of shit and then when someone simply asks you to explain what you mean, you can't. And when someone tells you this in a calm manner, you flip the fuck out and start ripping people. This is the exact same pattern as the other threads you have been vocal in.

So let me hazard a guess: You hated the movie because the cop didn't catch the bad guy and that pissed you off and insulted your pride as an officer? :lol

Oh hes a cop? :lmao

It all makes fucking sense now.

LnGrrrR
09-27-2010, 10:43 PM
:lol Ok fair enough.

I told you; irrationally angry/irritated. If there's anything mysterious about that movie, it's the ability to piss me off instantly.

Spurminator
09-27-2010, 10:44 PM
Maybe they were just there to test, and now that they know water is bad for them, they'll come more prepared next time. Signs II?

Cry Havoc
09-27-2010, 10:46 PM

Signs was such a good idea. There were so many good moments in that movie, but it all hinged on a horribly predictable, unrealistic Deus Ex Machina. As soon as I saw it, I thought, "REALLY? He's going to copy HG Wells THAT blatantly?"

Such a letdown. :(

redzero
09-27-2010, 10:47 PM
http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/images/sgn1.gif

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/images/sgn2.gif

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/images/sgn3.gif

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/images/sgn4.gif

ynh
09-27-2010, 11:10 PM
Road to Perdition

It's pretty difficult seeing Hanks get killed at the end.. at least it was for me... really likeable actors like him it is hard to see them get put down like that in a movie.

jaffies
09-27-2010, 11:25 PM
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
-and the whole time watching the movie I thought it couldn't possibly get any worse...well, it did.

Basic
-seriously, all those twists and turns and tense moments all throughout the film didn't matter for shit.

The Devil's Advocate
-Satan awesomely portrayed by Al Pacino breaks the 4th wall and turns right into the camera and turns himself into a cartoon character. Oh, and the whole fucking movie didn't matter for shit.

The Forgotten
-Aliens. Fuck you.

I can't really list Planet of the Apes (the one with mark Whalberg) cause I didn't really understand the end, but even if I did, I'm sure it sucked.

Cry Havoc
09-27-2010, 11:43 PM
Sunshine is still a good movie, but DAMN if they didn't take it from some of the best sci-fi I've ever seen to "eeeeeeeeeeech well I can ignore these 20 minutes" in one fell swoop. :depressed

ynh
09-27-2010, 11:43 PM
Yea.. Crystal Skull was passable untill that transformer kid started swinging in trees with the monkeys and they had killer ants.. and the entire alien thing.

redzero
09-27-2010, 11:58 PM
Sunshine is still a good movie, but DAMN if they didn't take it from some of the best sci-fi I've ever seen to "eeeeeeeeeeech well I can ignore these 20 minutes" in one fell swoop. :depressed

Come on, the scene when Cilian Murphy finds out there was a fifth crew member was intense.

Cry Havoc
09-28-2010, 12:00 AM
Come on, the scene when Cilian Murphy finds out there was a fifth crew member was intense.

The crew was on a nuclear bomb the size of a football stadium falling toward the Sun at thousands of miles per hour with the fate of the entire human race on their shoulders.

I guess I don't see where they felt there wasn't enough intensity. :lol

Nathan Explosion
09-28-2010, 12:15 AM

Yeah, I got real lazy in this thread and skipped every single page where people complain about Signs.

Insomniac
09-28-2010, 04:05 AM
Dear John

atxbuttknocker
09-28-2010, 04:27 AM

Um, if you're referring to how the aliens were defeated that's from a little known book called "The War of the Worlds" written by HG Wells.

Dumbass.

Venti Quattro
09-28-2010, 07:47 AM
The International. Not that the ending was disappointing but it frustrated me. I had hoped for something that was better because I hated IBBC and Skarssen.

lefty
09-28-2010, 08:15 AM
I remember watching the 9th gate

The movie wasnt bad, but the ending was like WTF

Poop shit fuck, waste of time

koriwhat
09-28-2010, 08:17 AM
signs sucked!

desflood
09-28-2010, 08:39 AM
Oh, another one: The Ring. Fuck that movie.

I don't like horror in general, so I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the first two-thirds or so of that movie. Great suspense, great building tension, all based on being creepy rather than overtly scary. I really liked it. As soon as it goes for the obvious scares, though, it falls apart. It's unintentional comedy by the time the little girl crawls out of the TV and all that great buildup is for naught.
I read the book before I watched the movie and was surprised that they were nothing alike. I did get the sense, however, than a lot was lost in the translation into English.

For anybody who likes a really creepy read, The Grudge will do it for you. The movie was bad, but the book gave me chills in several places.

stretch
09-28-2010, 08:45 AM
I Am Legend definitely. once will smith tried bulldozing the vampires in his car, the movie went downhill. but everything before that was quite good imho

Phenomanul
09-28-2010, 08:48 AM
Oh, and as for the OP - 3:10 to Yuma's ending was fucking TERRIBLE.

How'd I know this would come up... on this we agree. That ending was horrible.

Cry Havoc
09-28-2010, 09:29 AM
I read the book before I watched the movie and was surprised that they were nothing alike. I did get the sense, however, than a lot was lost in the translation into English.

For anybody who likes a really creepy read, The Grudge will do it for you. The movie was bad, but the book gave me chills in several places.

I've heard Ringu is much better than The Ring. It's the original Japanese version of the movie. Haven't watched it though.

Phenomanul
09-28-2010, 09:53 AM
Other movies to throw into the mix of discussion...

The Men Who Stare at Goats

Burn After Reading - So everyone dies?

Independence Day - I know people have already mentioned it... but the first half of this movie was so intense, that anything thereafter was poised to be a natural let down.

12 Monkeys - I absolutely love the movie, it just kind of sucks to see Willis' character unnable to change his fate... would have been a twist if somehow his memory as a child was faded and not necessarily require him to die...

Back to the Future III - just kind of sucks to see the Delorean smashed to smitereens...

Superman Returns - WTH Superman has a son?

Babylon A.D.

Drachen
09-28-2010, 10:06 AM
I've heard Ringu is much better than The Ring. It's the original Japanese version of the movie. Haven't watched it though.

I thought the Ring sucked really badly, the whole way through. Saw it in the theater and at the end some guy behind me yelled "REEEEEEEEFUUUUUND" and I responded "HELL YEAH". It sucked real bad.

A few months ago I watched Ringu with my wife and friend. Don't bother. It was such a waste. In the first 5 mins your expectations mixed with what has been shown makes you think, "ok a little slow, but this thing has some potential". Nope. The movie is just plain boring. We just started talking to each other about a quarter of the way through it and by the end we were all just tired. It was one of the worst borefests that I have been a part of.

koriwhat
09-28-2010, 10:13 AM
It was one of the worst borefests that I have been a part of.

just like most asian horrors and whores. boring!

CuckingFunt
09-28-2010, 10:18 AM
12 Monkeys - I absolutely love the movie, it just kind of sucks to see Willis' character unnable to change his fate... would have been a twist if somehow his memory as a child was faded and not necessarily require him to die...

Sigh...

That wouldn't have been a twist. That would be happy Hollywood bullshit. That the ending implies Willis' life will continue to play out in the same cycle, and further that all the attempts to go back in time and change history are futile, is one of the most interesting things about the film.

mrsmaalox
09-28-2010, 10:19 AM
To those who didn't care for the way 3:10 to Yuma ended: Ever see the 1957 original? Ends differently, but I think the complaints from an audience today would include "too predictable" "storybook ending". Comparing the 2 films, the modern version's ending was a good adjustment to try meet the expectations of today's audience. I like both endings.

LoneStarState'sPride
09-28-2010, 12:08 PM
I Am Legend
Repo Men

BlairForceDejuan
09-28-2010, 12:27 PM
I Am Legend was a damn tragedy the way they pissed on the original novel. They completely ripped apart the original storyline and then decided to keep the same title. What the hell!? The freaking title IS the whole point of the ENDING. WTFFFFFFF

I like Will Smith, but he whored himself out to make just another cookie-cutter blockbuster with no respect to the original literature.

And I'm not one of these people that always pulls the "book is better" line, but if you read/listen to the original I Am Legend the ending is pretty epic.

MannyIsGod
09-28-2010, 01:12 PM
I Am Legend was a damn tragedy the way they pissed on the original novel. They completely ripped apart the original storyline and then decided to keep the same title. What the hell!? The freaking title IS the whole point of the ENDING. WTFFFFFFF

I like Will Smith, but he whored himself out to make just another cookie-cutter blockbuster with no respect to the original literature.

And I'm not one of these people that always pulls the "book is better" line, but if you read/listen to the original I Am Legend the ending is pretty epic.

I read it and loved it after I saw the movie. I enjoyed the movie but they truly ripped the heart out of that story in order to make it "hollywood". The book ending is fantastic.

Strike
09-28-2010, 01:14 PM

Never saw War Of The Worlds so nothing to say there. But Saving Private Ryan? Really? What was terrible about the ending?

LoneStarState'sPride
09-28-2010, 01:18 PM
I read it and loved it after I saw the movie. I enjoyed the movie but they truly ripped the heart out of that story in order to make it "hollywood". The book ending is fantastic.

Never read the book (it's on my "must read" list after I get out of college, though), but I usually end up watching the alternate ending to I Am Legend. It's cheesy but whatever.

The Reckoning
09-28-2010, 01:23 PM

book>>>>>>>>>>>>>movie

just the idea of some strung out, alcoholic white dude beating zombies with his fists just for the hell of it is flat out badass.

DJ Mbenga
09-28-2010, 01:31 PM
Why would you have thought the ending of Taxi Driver took place all in Bickle's imagination? And why would that make it more satisfying?

when he looked back at the window and the chick dissapeared i thought it was his mind. that scene followed the part where he is just dying there.
its more satisfying cause its just better. find it hard to beleive the story can end with him as a hero

rolled up $20
09-28-2010, 01:52 PM
Blow

redzero
09-28-2010, 01:57 PM
when he looked back at the window and the chick dissapeared i thought it was his mind. that scene followed the part where he is just dying there.
its more satisfying cause its just better. find it hard to beleive the story can end with him as a hero

Who said that he was a hero? The media treated him as such because they didn't know that he was a psycho and was just looking at the whole "rescuing young girl from pimps" thing.

Phenomanul
09-28-2010, 03:35 PM
Sigh...

That wouldn't have been a twist. That would be happy Hollywood bullshit. That the ending implies Willis' life will continue to play out in the same cycle, and further that all the attempts to go back in time and change history are futile, is one of the most interesting things about the film.

Fair enough...

It's just I imagine an alternate ending that reveals Willis to be one of the old scientists that selected his younger self as a candidate to go back in time. But by then we would realize that his intent would not be for the sake of changing the past (or preventing the biological pandemic - which by that point he'd understand was futile) but because of 'the girl'... In that context, the movie would have given their relationship a far deeper bond, than the whimsical bond that was forged by her sudden realization that the little boy she made eye-contact with was in fact a younger Willis, an ephimeral realization that validated all his other claims...

Instead, he dies, she realizes he wasn't crazy... we get the cut-scene where the older scientist tries to prod the Sam Morse character into revealing information about his 'biological weapon' on the plane - only to understand ourselves that it's all for naught. Everyone will die anyways... and none of it matters.

In my hypothetical ending their relationship would have been expounded as THE REASON for having spent my time watching a flick about our inability to control the inevitable.

LnGrrrR
09-28-2010, 04:44 PM

Exactly. I don't see why they didn't stick with the book's storyline. Ah well. They almost always fuck up PKDick's stories too (with A Scanner Darkly being a notable exception. I like the movie Blade Runner, but it's too different from the book IMO to compare the two).

MannyIsGod
09-28-2010, 05:34 PM
Never read the book (it's on my "must read" list after I get out of college, though), but I usually end up watching the alternate ending to I Am Legend. It's cheesy but whatever.

Nothing like the book.

Fabbs
09-28-2010, 05:50 PM
Gone Baby Gone.
Why the allegedly street smart baby faced detective wanted the little girl back with the *mother* just stunk. She was a "mother" strictly in the biological donor sense. Beyond horrible parent and no, she did not show much of a change after the girl went missing.

Then the very end has Baby Face sitting on the couch with little girl after he volunteered to babysit since Methwhore Mom had another *date*. That's supposed to make it all better now?

bleh.

Sense
09-28-2010, 09:43 PM
I just saw Salt... WTF WAS THAT ENDING?! SERIOUSLY.

Trill Clinton
09-28-2010, 11:35 PM
M. Night Shyamalan is taking a lot of L's in this thread.

midnightpulp
09-29-2010, 01:33 AM
"Au Hazard Balthazar."

Was talking to Silver n Black Mystic about this one and we agreed that the ending should've been uplifting. Maybe Balthazar is adopted by a loving family and lives out his days in misery-free comfort? Something along those lines.

As it stands, Bresson was trying to be unconventional and avant-garde for no other purpose than to come across as clever, which in my opinion, is lazy film-making. The indulgent "art for art's sake" ending, while a logical conclusion to the events that preceded it, didn't at all leave me satisfied.

If not a happy ending like the one I suggested earlier, then maybe Bresson could've had Balthazar go on a rampage through the town and take revenge on his tormentors?

I really wanted a payoff, but alas, I was confronted with lyricism and genuine heart-wrenching pathos.

But the only thing I shed a tear for was the laziness of the film-makers.

CuckingFunt
09-29-2010, 01:37 AM
"Au Hazard Balthazar."

Was talking to Silver n Black Mystic about this one and we agreed that the ending should've been uplifting. Maybe Balthazar is adopted by a loving family and lives out his days in misery-free comfort? Something along those lines.

As it stands, Bresson was trying to be unconventional and avant-garde for no other purpose than to come across as clever, which in my opinion, is lazy film-making. The indulgent "art for art's sake" ending, while a logical conclusion to the events that preceded it, didn't at all leave me satisfied.

If not a happy ending like the one I suggested earlier, then maybe Bresson could've had Balthazar go on a rampage through the town and take revenge on his tormentors?

I really wanted a payoff, but alas, I was confronted with lyricism and genuine heart-wrenching pathos.

Nice.

midnightpulp
09-29-2010, 01:53 AM
Nice.

I kind of like the idea of a grindhouse treatment of Au Hazard Balthazar where he does indeed go on a bloody rampage through the French Countryside. The girl who was his caretaker could outfit his body with machine guns and missile launchers.

silverblk mystix
09-29-2010, 07:16 AM
"Au Hazard Balthazar."

Do you mean Au hasard Balthazar?

Gee, you are so clever.

If you keep sucking up like that to the pseudo-intellectual movie critic clique-they might let you join.

Aren't you excited?

midnightpulp
09-29-2010, 06:31 PM
Do you mean Au hasard Balthazar?

Gee, you are so clever.

If you keep sucking up like that to the pseudo-intellectual movie critic clique-they might let you join.

Aren't you excited?

Lol. Spelling smack.

Probably found out the correct spelling when you googled it.

Fpoonsie
09-29-2010, 06:46 PM
Lol. Spelling smack.

Probably found out the correct spelling when you googled it.

Someone mentioned it already, but the ending of The International took an all-around avg movie and kicked it in the nuts. What a piece a' shit.

I have no idea why people hate Independence Day so much. That was the first movie I ever went back to the theaters to see (3 times total) as a kid. Still love it.

And I'll also have to echo the sentiments of the M. Knight haters in here; though, I actually enjoyed Signs. The Village was somewhat intriguing until M. Knight took a giant dump on the audience's captivated faces w/, well, the way he ended it (I won't say anything for those who have yet to waste their time w/ it). Also, I didn't necessarily enjoy Lady in the Water even before the end, but who could honestly take THIS guy seriously?

http://z.about.com/d/movies/1/0/o/x/M/ladyinthewaterpubm.jpg

Fpoonsie
09-29-2010, 06:50 PM
Btw, make sure to turn Safe Search ON if ever googling "Lady in the water Muscle guy"...

[shudder]

MannyIsGod
09-29-2010, 07:13 PM
I actually thought the premise behind Lady in the Water was pretty good but poorly done. Had (has?) potential.

MannyIsGod
09-29-2010, 07:14 PM
Oh and nice blasts at SnB mystix. I approve.

silverblk mystix
09-29-2010, 07:31 PM
:lol You ladies should just get a room. :lol

Let me see...I am gonna take a guess...

you pseudo wanna-be critics HATED the ending to

Shawshank Redemption because it had a feel good ending...

FUCK---they should have had both Tim Robbins & Morgan Freeman killed!

Lets see...Tim Robbins on the way to mexico,after spending his life in prison
for a crime he didn't commit....killed by a drunk illegal immigrant ...!!!

and

Morgan Freeman...well...

as long as he dies and at the end ...psuedo wanna-be's need at least SIX possible explanations for the ending---because there always has to be a mysterious unresolved ending...

was Morgan Freeman ACTUALLY dead in the last scene--or was that a flashback...when he described his dream?

did Tim Robbins really get killed by the illegal immigrant or is the fact that the last shot of him --he is shown clinging to a fuckin' pinata...a CLUE...
that he ACTUALLY survived...and lived out his life in Mexico...????

THAT is the avant-garde, artsy ending that would go over every dumb moviegoer's head....brilliant!

09-29-2010, 08:30 PM
This thread keeps getting smarter.

I had no idea they were remaking True Grit. It's such a classic but considering the players involved, it might be extremely well done.

I'm indifferent right now, but the trailer looks promising:

68H56kjVyok

Cry Havoc
09-29-2010, 09:45 PM

and

Morgan Freeman...well...

as long as he dies and at the end ...psuedo wanna-be's need at least SIX possible explanations for the ending---because there always has to be a mysterious unresolved ending...

was Morgan Freeman ACTUALLY dead in the last scene--or was that a flashback...when he described his dream?

did Tim Robbins really get killed by the illegal immigrant or is the fact that the last shot of him --he is shown clinging to a fuckin' pinata...a CLUE...

THAT is the avant-garde, artsy ending that would go over every dumb moviegoer's head....brilliant!

:lol Meltdown in progress.

Gutter92
09-29-2010, 09:51 PM
I Am Legend definitely. once will smith tried bulldozing the vampires in his car, the movie went downhill. but everything before that was quite good imho

Vampires?

silverblk mystix
09-29-2010, 11:01 PM
:lol Meltdown in progress.

Cry Havoc...

I'm a little flattered that you keep following me around...

but it is gettin' a little creepy.

I've never been stalked before...

are you sucking up to the wanna-be intellectuals in here too :lol

CuckingFunt
09-29-2010, 11:42 PM
who could honestly take THIS guy seriously?

http://z.about.com/d/movies/1/0/o/x/M/ladyinthewaterpubm.jpg

I've yet to see Lady in the Water, but Freddy Rodriguez is a badass.

CuckingFunt
09-29-2010, 11:43 PM

and

Morgan Freeman...well...

No, actually. I quite like the ending of Shawshank Redemption just the way it is.

Seems you still don't get it.

At all.

CuckingFunt
09-29-2010, 11:44 PM
This thread keeps getting smarter.

I had no idea they were remaking True Grit. It's such a classic but considering the players involved, it might be extremely well done.

I'm indifferent right now, but the trailer looks promising:

68H56kjVyok

I'm not a huge fan of westerns, generally, but I'll definitely be seeing this one.

Fpoonsie
09-30-2010, 12:01 AM
I've yet to see Lady in the Water, but Freddy Rodriguez is a badass.

It wasn't so much the actor, as it was that ridiculously disproportionate arm of his...

AnthonyM
09-30-2010, 12:46 AM
Gone Baby Gone.
Why the allegedly street smart baby faced detective wanted the little girl back with the *mother* just stunk. She was a "mother" strictly in the biological donor sense. Beyond horrible parent and no, she did not show much of a change after the girl went missing.

Then the very end has Baby Face sitting on the couch with little girl after he volunteered to babysit since Methwhore Mom had another *date*. That's supposed to make it all better now?

bleh.

Sorry but, what? I get what you're saying but what you don't like is the point of the movie.

Who is Casey Affleck to decide what is best for the little girl? Who is he to play God, so to speak? With him sitting on the couch at the end could mean a lot of things also. Maybe he felt guilty because he made the wrong choice. Or maybe he has nothing to do because his girlfriend left him because he decided to give the baby back to the mother. Maybe he's just accepting the repercussions of his decision whether he likes it or not.

Either way, the ending of Gone Baby Gone makes the movie. The thing about the movie that Affleck struggles with at the end is the ethics of everything. He struggles between what's right and what's wrong. But the greatness of the ending is which option is really right and which is really wrong?

As a lawful detective (or private investigator) how can he sit there and let an extremely illegal situation happen and how would that affect his integrity as a PI or as a person? And where do you draw the line after that?

It really is a great ending as it explores gray areas of a lot of things. Moral/lawful conflicts, work ethics, personal ethics, etc. Still don't know what I would have done.

AnthonyM
09-30-2010, 12:50 AM
Also, I agree with whoever said Hancock.

Movie had so much potential until the stupid, stupid plot "twist" in the middle of the movie.

No Country for Old Men is a wonderful movie. The ending was perfect and fitting (obviously).

ynh
09-30-2010, 03:23 AM
:p:

ynh
09-30-2010, 03:27 AM
Derrr... that wasn't party of five it was six feet under..

Either way the guy sucks ass.

ynh
09-30-2010, 03:32 AM
WTF ... Edited the wrong post.. can you delete a post here? Anyways.. was saying Freddy Rodrequez sucks ass.. he's a midget and cast wrongly.. almost makes planet terror unwatchable...

Then I stated something about party of five.. then took it back thinking I was remembering wrongly about him being on it but was actually right.

Cry Havoc
09-30-2010, 09:30 AM
Cry Havoc...

I'm a little flattered that you keep following me around...

but it is gettin' a little creepy.

I'm following you around because I'm posting in a thread that I've already posted in?

I've never been stalked before...

:lol Yeah buddy, responding to you in four threads, total, is stalking. Are you going to arrest me? :lmao

are you sucking up to the wanna-be intellectuals in here too :lol

:lol Don't mind me. I'm just a fancy book-readin' edumacated elitist. Probably a commie, too.

CosmicCowboy
09-30-2010, 09:32 AM
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Cry Havoc
09-30-2010, 09:52 AM
No, actually. I quite like the ending of Shawshank Redemption just the way it is.

At all.

:tu

Shawshank is brilliant. Flawlessly paced and extremely cathartic.

mrsmaalox
09-30-2010, 09:56 AM
The movie itself was just okay, but I didn't care for the ending of Lost in Translation at all.

LnGrrrR
09-30-2010, 04:03 PM
And I'll also have to echo the sentiments of the M. Knight haters in here; though, I actually enjoyed Signs. The Village was somewhat intriguing until M. Knight took a giant dump on the audience's captivated faces w/, well, the way he ended it (I won't say anything for those who have yet to waste their time w/ it). Also, I didn't necessarily enjoy Lady in the Water even before the end, but who could honestly take THIS guy seriously?

Lady in the Water was, I think, the only movie in the last decade that I walked out of the theater on.

Cry Havoc
09-30-2010, 04:43 PM
Lady in the Water was, I think, the only movie in the last decade that I walked out of the theater on.

You didn't see Driven, I take it.

Xylus
09-30-2010, 04:48 PM
Gone Baby Gone had a great ending. In fact, it made the whole movie for me, and it caused an hour-long discussion between my girlfriend and I about the ramifications of his decision. Loved it. And I'm surprised anyone disliked the endings to Lost in Translation, No Country for Old Men, and There Will be Blood.

Sunshine had a horrible ending. The first 80 minutes of the film were great, but the last half hour devolved into a silly horror movie that betrayed everything that came before it. Still can't figure out what the ending even means.

silverblk mystix
09-30-2010, 05:17 PM

At all.

:lol Pretty priceless that you assumed I was talking about you when I said pseudo-wannabe critics...:lol

Get it, don't get it...whatever...

I didn't like the ending--but it hurts you when you hear that for some reason.

It makes you feel better to think I didn't get -this way you feel superior-than to hear that someone didn't care for the ending.

I am shocked you liked the ending of Shawshank because it is a conventional hollywood ending.

dickface
09-30-2010, 06:01 PM
Um, the book, radio broadcast and original movie of War of the Worlds all had an ending where the aliens die by a virus/bacteria that kills them off.

Speilberg had nothing to do with that one.

Back in HG Well's era, that ending might have been passable. Modernizing the book makes the ending about 100000000000000x more lame.

Spielberg has never had a problem completely redoing source material before, I see no reason why he'd want to suddenly stay faithful to it now.

dickface
09-30-2010, 06:05 PM
Road to Perdition

It's pretty difficult seeing Hanks get killed at the end.. at least it was for me... really likeable actors like him it is hard to see them get put down like that in a movie.

I thought that whole movie was terrific. The only thing that bothered me was how those bullets can go right through Sullivan but not even put a crack in the window directly in front of him. Pretty minor, but I can't get over it for whatever reason. A small hole in logic and physics isn't enough to overcome a great looking shot I suppose.

dickface
09-30-2010, 06:19 PM
Never saw War Of The Worlds so nothing to say there. But Saving Private Ryan? Really? What was terrible about the ending?

Complete dog shit. Really that movie is very average after the opening D-Day scene.

There's nothing logical about the way Captain Miller behaves. In one scene he berates his group to "follow fuckin orders!" after Caparzo is killed trying to help out a family. Another scene, he ignores said "fuckin orders" to simply go get Ryan, and he decides to "win the war" and attack the German gunners in the field, which ends up with Wade getting killed. After that, suddenly "winning the war" goes out the window as he stupidly lets a prisoner go because those are the rules of international law or whatever.

Then after all that, he allows some dickwad Private to tell him off and, once again, ignore "fuckin orders", meaning his entire group of men that have been on this agonizing search are all gonna die because the asshole their searching for doesn't want to leave and the Captain leading them is inconsistent as hell.

Also, the most annoying scene of all is right near the very end. Private Ryan just told a Captain in the US Army to suck it because he won't leave his fellow soldiers behind, he's going to fight like hell and risk everything, he's gonna man up and be courageous and all that shit...........but suddenly at the "alamo" moment, right before Tom Hanks gets shot, you see a scene of Ryan in the fetal position crying for his mother like a fucking pussy. Completely destroys the character of the guy who just a while earlier put a death sentence on everybody you had an emotional attachment to through the entire film. Definitely the worst scene of the entire movie, and it completely ruins it for me.

CuckingFunt
09-30-2010, 09:18 PM
:lol Pretty priceless that you assumed I was talking about you when I said pseudo-wannabe critics...:lol

I assumed your use of "pseudo-wannabe critics" to be in reference to the large group of people defending the ending of No Country for Old Men. And, yes, I was part of that large group. Have fun considering it priceless, but I just saw it as a logical conclusion based on the context of this thread.

It makes you feel better to think I didn't get -this way you feel superior-than to hear that someone didn't care for the ending.

I am shocked you liked the ending of Shawshank because it is a conventional hollywood ending.

The thing you don't seem to get is that I'm not hurt by the fact you don't like the ending of No Country for Old Men. It doesn't bother me, on a personal level, at all. But I do disagree with your assessment of the film's ending. And, as this is a message board meant for discussion, I feel it perfectly appropriate to express my disagreement.

Thinking you wrong isn't the same thing as thinking you inferior, but it's pretty telling -- priceless, even -- that you would make that leap.

Fabbs
10-01-2010, 09:33 AM
Sorry but, what? I get what you're saying but what you don't like is the point of the movie.

Who is Casey Affleck to decide what is best for the little girl? Who is he to play God, so to speak?
Exactly. Who is he to play God and force the little girl to go back with coke whore abusive/neglectful-to-the-extreme- female biological donar?

With him sitting on the couch at the end could mean a lot of things also. Maybe he felt guilty because he made the wrong choice. Or maybe he has nothing to do because his girlfriend left him because he decided to give the baby back to the mother. Maybe he's just accepting the repercussions of his decision whether he likes it or not.

Either way, the ending of Gone Baby Gone makes the movie. The thing about the movie that Affleck struggles with at the end is the ethics of everything. He struggles between what's right and what's wrong. But the greatness of the ending is which option is really right and which is really wrong?
I agree there was no cut and dry "best" way to decide on the girl, and that was the whole point the directors were trying to make.

As a lawful detective (or private investigator) how can he sit there and let an extremely illegal situation happen and how would that affect his integrity as a PI or as a person? And where do you draw the line after that?
He did plenty of illegal stuff along the way. Were his main complaint to Jack Doyle-Morgan Freeman "you're not getting away with this *&^%", would have been better. It wasn't. BabyFaces main and repeated complaint to both Doyle and Girlfriend was that "The girl belongs with her mother". Girlfriend tried to tell him what a shitty mother she was. He wouldn't hear it.

So ya, no for sure good way out of this one but BabyFace being so damned determined to give the girl back to Ms. Neglectful, that sucked. Crazy as it sounded, girl staying with Doyle and wife may have been what was best for the little girls future. I don't neccessarily agree he should have been allowed to keep her, but the foster home situation can be corrupt and scary as Ms. Neglectful.

It really is a great ending as it explores gray areas of a lot of things. Moral/lawful conflicts, work ethics, personal ethics, etc. Still don't know what I would have done.
Agree that it stimulates conversation on what option should have been carried out. We were left thinking what happens to the girl in 6 hours when Babyface is relieved of babysitting duties and CrackNeglector returns home.

Cry Havoc
10-01-2010, 10:25 AM

And it's obvious why you intentionally make generalized comments with no specific targets. Man up and directly address the people you're talking to next time. You think you are being witty with wordplay, but it's a completely transparent attempt.

Sorry, who's got the superiority complex here?

Who's hurt by it? You are not the first person to have a meltdown in The Club, and you won't be the last. Trust me, it's nothing new here. You hear outrage when really it's laughter or amusement.

That's not it at all. You've had 9 pages to explain a single reason why you didn't like No Country for Old Men's ending. The only rationale you've provided so far is that it was "trying to be unconventional" and "the way it made me feel". Both reasons are pretty flimsy, extremely subjective (unconventional is far too broad of a term, and your personal feelings have little to do with how good the movie may or may not actually be), and more importantly, they have no sense of qualitative thought.

To put it in other terms, a very famous TV pair once was asked, "What do you like?" They responded, "We like stuff that's cool." When asked what they defined as cool, they said, "Stuff that we like."

You've essentially done the same thing here. When asked why you didn't like No Country, you said because it was unconventional. Then when pressed further, you said because of the way it made you feel. Considering that earlier in the thread you stated this: "The critics and dumbfucks like you bought it, though.", you've yet to show a single reason why anyone is an idiot for liking that movie, other than your personal sentiment, which is a pretty weak reason to attack other people so vehemently. You accuse the writers of laziness and it's proponents to be dumbfucks, yet you've managed to avoid any explanation for why you think so. Anyone with a modest amount of brainpower would realize that you need to substantiate opinions with evidence, or your argument is truly thin and worthy of such mockery.

Any time you walk into a discussion with people, stating your opinion as fact and denouncing those who disagree with you as mentally incompetent, don't be shocked when people start laughing at you when they ask why you think that way and you can provide no other explanation, instead resorting to insults and self-promotion.

By the way, the individuals that I referenced above were Beavis and Butthead. It's telling that your remarks remind me of what they said, I think. Now watch, instead of analyzing NCFOM and telling us why you feel it was a bad ending, you're going to go back to smack talk and name-calling, just like a typical junior high school kid trying to be a badass.

silverblk mystix
10-01-2010, 03:27 PM
And it's obvious why you intentionally make generalized comments with no specific targets. Man up and directly address the people you're talking to next time. You think you are being witty with wordplay, but it's a completely transparent attempt.

Sorry, who's got the superiority complex here?

Who's hurt by it? You are not the first person to have a meltdown in The Club, and you won't be the last. Trust me, it's nothing new here. You hear outrage when really it's laughter or amusement.

That's not it at all. You've had 9 pages to explain a single reason why you didn't like No Country for Old Men's ending. The only rationale you've provided so far is that it was "trying to be unconventional" and "the way it made me feel". Both reasons are pretty flimsy, extremely subjective (unconventional is far too broad of a term, and your personal feelings have little to do with how good the movie may or may not actually be), and more importantly, they have no sense of qualitative thought.

To put it in other terms, a very famous TV pair once was asked, "What do you like?" They responded, "We like stuff that's cool." When asked what they defined as cool, they said, "Stuff that we like."

You've essentially done the same thing here. When asked why you didn't like No Country, you said because it was unconventional. Then when pressed further, you said because of the way it made you feel. Considering that earlier in the thread you stated this: "The critics and dumbfucks like you bought it, though.", you've yet to show a single reason why anyone is an idiot for liking that movie, other than your personal sentiment, which is a pretty weak reason to attack other people so vehemently. You accuse the writers of laziness and it's proponents to be dumbfucks, yet you've managed to avoid any explanation for why you think so. Anyone with a modest amount of brainpower would realize that you need to substantiate opinions with evidence, or your argument is truly thin and worthy of such mockery.

Any time you walk into a discussion with people, stating your opinion as fact and denouncing those who disagree with you as mentally incompetent, don't be shocked when people start laughing at you when they ask why you think that way and you can provide no other explanation, instead resorting to insults and self-promotion.

By the way, the individuals that I referenced above were Beavis and Butthead. It's telling that your remarks remind me of what they said, I think. Now watch, instead of analyzing NCFOM and telling us why you feel it was a bad ending, you're going to go back to smack talk and name-calling, just like a typical junior high school kid trying to be a badass.

I read your post and will give it a respectful response-if;

You answer this:

#1) You seem to have gone way out of your way to keep addressing me, most of the times, in a very disrespectful way. So I will ask you why should I NOW respond to you and answer your questions -when during the last thread (the old man getting tased) I offered to settle things with you and offered you choices and even a truce. I also asked you to be reasonable and give me a respectful reply--and I asked you not to just continue your smart ass remarks if you wanted to settle it.
You came back with another insult and another smart remark. Anyone can go read that thread if they care and you can also do that if you want. The point is that I tried to reason with you and all you have done in every thread I post in is come and attack and try to poison the well against me with your remarks.
So, if you would like to seriously discuss-then it is up to you-or not...it won't bother me.

#2 (This should hopefully open your eyes to most of your accusations against me--IF--you care to do the checking)
I have noticed that THIS happened in the threads you have accused me of attacking others.

THIS thread....I posted an opinion (post #3). I posted another opinion (post #5). I did not insult or attack anyone. Post #6: Someone questioned one of my choices (Shutter Island) and I answered respectfully that maybe-I was at a point where I had seen too many movies with unconventional endings and maybe that is why I felt disappointed in that movies ending. Again, I was respectful and didn't insult or attack anyone.
Post # 12: Out of nowhere, some poster whom I don't know or have anything to do with...attacks me-unprovoked, calls me an idiot, say I don't know shit,etc....after that-all bets were off and others also swooped in and started throwing personal attacks at me-one called me a retarded monkey...
SO ...would YOU be very cordial AFTER being attacked like that?

THIS has happened in a lot of the threads where I am minding my own business. If you are attacked like that...what happens? How do you deal with it.
The same thing happened in the old man/taser thread and YOU were one of the first ones that attacked me and insulted me..called me stupid among other things.
One of the things that I like about this site is that we CAN do that and I dish out my share so --I know I have to just deal with it. This is also one of the reasons why this site is becoming like craigslist, though and this is why I have reacted in this way.
If you really want to be fair...do yourself a favor...stop from examining my posts (and trying to poke holes in my arguments) and start from the beginning of the thread and find out WHY I may be responding in the way that I do.
IF you find ONE thread....just ONE thread...where I attacked someone FIRST...

I give you my word that I will apologize to everyone in this thread and wear a dunce cap or whatever.

If you want to keep trying to shoot holes in every post that I make--and you want me to seriously respond when YOU decide you want something answered, then you tell me where I insulted someone unprovoked.

If someone in this MOVIE thread was insulted by something I said directly to you= I apologize.

So, again--CRY HAVOC...

Do you want to answer me respectfully and after finding out that I DID NOT fire the first shot....do you STILL want me to answer and explain everthing that I have said up to now?

MannyIsGod
10-01-2010, 03:32 PM

and

Morgan Freeman...well...

Well you're an idiot, but I actually did prefer the way Stephen King ended it in the novella. Its more open ended, so they did close it up more by actually showing them both in Mexico.

Otherwise the adaptation was done rather well. It has nothing to do with being avant garde. You're just an idiot.

MannyIsGod
10-01-2010, 03:34 PM
The movie itself was just okay, but I didn't care for the ending of Lost in Translation at all.

LOVED that ending. Especially the whisper.

MannyIsGod
10-01-2010, 03:35 PM
Gone Baby Gone had a great ending. In fact, it made the whole movie for me, and it caused an hour-long discussion between my girlfriend and I about the ramifications of his decision. Loved it. And I'm surprised anyone disliked the endings to Lost in Translation, No Country for Old Men, and There Will be Blood.

Sunshine had a horrible ending. The first 80 minutes of the film were great, but the last half hour devolved into a silly horror movie that betrayed everything that came before it. Still can't figure out what the ending even means.

I didn't like There Will be Blood very much but I only watched it once. However I do remember liking the ending quite a bit.

MannyIsGod
10-01-2010, 03:37 PM

Hurts? No one here is pained by your opinions. Thats some ego you got there.

Responding to you and pointing out that you didn't understand the movie has nothing to do with being hurt and everything to do that it was obvious in your posts you didn't know.

Thats all.

No one said that people here don't like conventional endings. Thats your strawman, no one actually brought that argument.

silverblk mystix
10-01-2010, 03:49 PM
Well you're an idiot, but I actually did prefer the way Stephen King ended it in the novella. Its more open ended, so they did close it up more by actually showing them both in Mexico.

Otherwise the adaptation was done rather well. It has nothing to do with being avant garde. You're just an idiot.

Idiot. If you can't tell that I was describing a fantasy Shawshank ending. then who is the idiot?

I loved Shawshank period. I loved that it HAD an ending. It satisfied.

See, you like to try to talk smack and attack me, call me an idiot. A personal attack whenever you don't agree with any opinion. How ironic that you attack first-and then think it is appropriate to call someone else an idiot.

MannyIsGod
10-01-2010, 03:54 PM
Idiot. If you can't tell that I was describing a fantasy Shawshank ending. then who is the idiot?

I loved Shawshank period. I loved that it HAD an ending. It satisfied.

See, you like to try to talk smack and attack me, call me an idiot. A personal attack whenever you don't agree with any opinion. How ironic that you attack first-and then think it is appropriate to call someone else an idiot.

I was obviously referring to the actual ending and its differences from the original ending. I didn't bother reading your drivel, but what made you think I thought your ending was real? :lol

You loved that it had an ending? Thats a high bar you've set.

Also, whats ironic about me attacking you and then calling you an idiot? I see no irony there, explain it to me please.

silverblk mystix
10-01-2010, 04:08 PM
I was obviously referring to the actual ending and its differences from the original ending. I didn't bother reading your drivel, but what made you think I thought your ending was real? :lol

You loved that it had an ending? Thats a high bar you've set.

Also, whats ironic about me attacking you and then calling you an idiot? I see no irony there, explain it to me please.

No problem.

An intelligent person who tries to impress by pointing out fallacies like strawmen would also be aware of this one:

A personal attack is committed when a person substitutes abusive remarks for evidence when attacking another person's claim or claims. This line of "reasoning" is fallacious because the attack is directed at the person making the claim and not the claim itself. The truth value of a claim is independent of the person making the claim. After all, no matter how repugnant an individual might be, he or she can still make true claims.

``Get it''.

Your welcome.

MannyIsGod
10-01-2010, 04:19 PM
No problem.

An intelligent person who tries to impress by pointing out fallacies like strawmen would also be aware of this one:

A personal attack is committed when a person substitutes abusive remarks for evidence when attacking another person's claim or claims. This line of "reasoning" is fallacious because the attack is directed at the person making the claim and not the claim itself. The truth value of a claim is independent of the person making the claim. After all, no matter how repugnant an individual might be, he or she can still make true claims.

``Get it''.

Your welcome.

Um, thats the definition of a personal attack (which in and of itself is wrong) but it doesn't explain how what I said was ironic. Its no wonder that you're misunderstanding movies when you don't grasp a concept like irony.

Also, I guess you missed the part where I explained to you why you were wrong.

I attacked you personally after I told you WHY you were an idiot. It wasn't a substitution for my argument but rather a fairly satisfying addition to it.

silverblk mystix
10-01-2010, 04:26 PM
Um, thats the definition of a personal attack (which in and of itself is wrong) but it doesn't explain how what I said was ironic. Its no wonder that you're misunderstanding movies when you don't grasp a concept like irony.

Also, I guess you missed the part where I explained to you why you were wrong.

I attacked you personally after I told you WHY you were an idiot. It wasn't a substitution for my argument but rather a fairly satisfying addition to it.

The irony is that you think you are intelligent and then resort to insults.

Insulting someone personally before or after your argument, c'mon, enough with the semantics. You are rude and not as smart as you believe. Nothing left to say.

MannyIsGod
10-01-2010, 04:30 PM

Insulting someone personally before or after your argument, c'mon, enough with the semantics. You are rude and not as smart as you believe. Nothing left to say.

Intelligent people never insult anyone? I never said I wasn't rude and whether or not I'm as smart as I think I am is irrelevant. The point is that I'm smarter than YOU.

I will admit, this isn't a very high bar. I'm pretty much saying that I was happy Shawshank simply had an ending.

silverblk mystix
10-01-2010, 04:34 PM
Intelligent people never insult anyone? I never said I wasn't rude and whether or not I'm as smart as I think I am is irrelevant. The point is that I'm smarter than YOU.

I will admit, this isn't a very high bar. I'm pretty much saying that I was happy Shawshank simply had an ending.

Well now, that sounds intelligent...I'm smarter than you..:lol

Wow.

Cry Havoc
10-01-2010, 04:43 PM
I read your post and will give it a respectful response-if;

You answer this:

#1) You seem to have gone way out of your way to keep addressing me, most of the times, in a very disrespectful way. So I will ask you why should I NOW respond to you and answer your questions -when during the last thread (the old man getting tased) I offered to settle things with you and offered you choices and even a truce. I also asked you to be reasonable and give me a respectful reply--and I asked you not to just continue your smart ass remarks if you wanted to settle it.

Why? I have no desire to have a "truce" with you. We are not at war. This is not real life. If you want to stop having verbal spats with other users on the forum, I suggest you modify your posting style, because as it's plainly obvious, I'm not the one trying to argue with 5 other people right now, talking smack all the way. Have you considered that maybe, just maybe, it's YOU that's the problem? No, of course not. Your ego won't permit that.

You came back... lots of words...would YOU be very cordial AFTER being attacked like that?

You spent the ENTIRE thread about the tazing incident proclaiming that you knew you would be right, that the officers would be exonerated, and at the same time you would turn around and ridicule other posters for jumping to conclusions before they knew all the facts. You even openly stated that the facts of the situation weren't known, yet you voiced your opinion as if it were a scientific law, the very same thing you did in this thread.

THIS has happened in a lot of the threads where I am minding my own business. If you are attacked like that...what happens? How do you deal with it.

I listen to other posters who disagree with me, or who ask questions, and I respond to them as if they are my equal or better, 98% of the time. You have yet to do this with a single post you make, instead taking up the idea that you and what you say is infallible. You make incorrect statements and then when someone calls you out on them, you backpedal and attack/change the subject instead of just admitting that you're wrong. For instance, the very obvious statement you made about how I "disappeared" in the tazing thread was humorous, as I was the one with the last post in said thread. When I enlightened you with this knowledge, you raged some more and changed the subject, all the while never admitting a single mistake you made in your posts. I can see why you like being a cop, as it's pretty obvious to everyone here that you have a huge ego problem.

The same thing happened in the old man/taser thread and YOU were one of the first ones that attacked me and insulted me..called me stupid among other things.

You're stupid because you've failed in any post I've ever read from you to acknowledge that someone with a thought that differs from yours has a point. You come off as infinitely smug and incredibly full of yourself, while possessing nothing to justify it. Just like this thread, you bandied about your opinion as fact, and when the first person insulted you for it, you went after everyone, and treated every single person who disagreed with you like they were beneath you. You got so utterly defensive that you lost all ability for rational discourse, and you STILL haven't listed a single objective reason for not liking NCFOM. 9 pages and your three reasons are 1. It made you feel bad. 2. The directors were lazy (which is absolutely false, as the Coen Brothers are two of the most hardworking, innovative director/producers in Hollywood) and 3. It was an "unconventional" ending which made it conventional.

Basically your three reasons for not liking this movie hold very little merit, and since you have yet to articulate your thoughts/feelings better than that in lieu of attacking other posters for disagreeing with you, you're catching heat for it. I guarantee you that any other poster on this site would face the same thing if they exhibited such conduct.

One of the things that I like about this site is that we CAN do that and I dish out my share so --I know I have to just deal with it. This is also one of the reasons why this site is becoming like craigslist,

What? In what way is Spurstalk like the largest classified ads website on the internet? Again, you make these bold claims with absolutely nothing to support your statements.

If you really want to be fair...do yourself a favor...stop from examining my posts (and trying to poke holes in my arguments) and start from the beginning of the thread and find out WHY I may be responding in the way that I do.

What arguments? "I feel this way" isn't an argument. I can't poke holes in it. I can laugh at you for not being able to articulate yourself better, and raging against other people when they ask you to clarify your thoughts, though.

IF you find ONE thread....just ONE thread...where I attacked someone FIRST...

I give you my word that I will apologize to everyone in this thread and wear a dunce cap or whatever.

Oh dear god, someone attacked you. Welcome to the internets. Enjoy your stay, although it won't be long if you rage every time someone says something mildly derogatory in your direction.

Do you want to answer me respectfully and after finding out that I DID NOT fire the first shot....do you STILL want me to answer and explain everthing that I have said up to now?

The first thread I saw you posting in consisted of you lambasting other people for not knowing facts while simultaneously saying, "I know I am right." Everyone I know is going to fire shots at you when you say stupid things.

Just like this. That's NOT irony. At worst, it's hypocrisy. Although Manny stating he's smarter than you isn't hypocrisy if he actually is, he's just being kind of a dick. Either way, it's not irony. Look up the definition of words before you use them.

silverblk mystix
10-01-2010, 05:25 PM
Why? I have no desire to have a "truce" with you. We are not at war. This is not real life. If you want to stop having verbal spats with other users on the forum, I suggest you modify your posting style, because as it's plainly obvious, I'm not the one trying to argue with 5 other people right now, talking smack all the way. Have you considered that maybe, just maybe, it's YOU that's the problem? No, of course not. Your ego won't permit that.

You spent the ENTIRE thread about the tazing incident proclaiming that you knew you would be right, that the officers would be exonerated, and at the same time you would turn around and ridicule other posters for jumping to conclusions before they knew all the facts. You even openly stated that the facts of the situation weren't known, yet you voiced your opinion as if it were a scientific law, the very same thing you did in this thread.

I listen to other posters who disagree with me, or who ask questions, and I respond to them as if they are my equal or better, 98% of the time. You have yet to do this with a single post you make, instead taking up the idea that you and what you say is infallible. You make incorrect statements and then when someone calls you out on them, you backpedal and attack/change the subject instead of just admitting that you're wrong. For instance, the very obvious statement you made about how I "disappeared" in the tazing thread was humorous, as I was the one with the last post in said thread. When I enlightened you with this knowledge, you raged some more and changed the subject, all the while never admitting a single mistake you made in your posts. I can see why you like being a cop, as it's pretty obvious to everyone here that you have a huge ego problem.

You're stupid because you've failed in any post I've ever read from you to acknowledge that someone with a thought that differs from yours has a point. You come off as infinitely smug and incredibly full of yourself, while possessing nothing to justify it. Just like this thread, you bandied about your opinion as fact, and when the first person insulted you for it, you went after everyone, and treated every single person who disagreed with you like they were beneath you. You got so utterly defensive that you lost all ability for rational discourse, and you STILL haven't listed a single objective reason for not liking NCFOM. 9 pages and your three reasons are 1. It made you feel bad. 2. The directors were lazy (which is absolutely false, as the Coen Brothers are two of the most hardworking, innovative director/producers in Hollywood) and 3. It was an "unconventional" ending which made it conventional.

Basically your three reasons for not liking this movie hold very little merit, and since you have yet to articulate your thoughts/feelings better than that in lieu of attacking other posters for disagreeing with you, you're catching heat for it. I guarantee you that any other poster on this site would face the same thing if they exhibited such conduct.

What? In what way is Spurstalk like the largest classified ads website on the internet? Again, you make these bold claims with absolutely nothing to support your statements.

What arguments? "I feel this way" isn't an argument. I can't poke holes in it. I can laugh at you for not being able to articulate yourself better, and raging against other people when they ask you to clarify your thoughts, though.

Oh dear god, someone attacked you. Welcome to the internets. Enjoy your stay, although it won't be long if you rage every time someone says something mildly derogatory in your direction.

The first thread I saw you posting in consisted of you lambasting other people for not knowing facts while simultaneously saying, "I know I am right." Everyone I know is going to fire shots at you when you say stupid things.

Just like this. That's NOT irony. At worst, it's hypocrisy. Although Manny stating he's smarter than you isn't hypocrisy if he actually is, he's just being kind of a dick. Either way, it's not irony. Look up the definition of words before you use them.

So,

what is it you want?

We can disagree forever and you can point out everything you want. Where is this going?

I told you my point; that I never fired the first shot. It means something to me. Maybe to you it doesn't. It's okay. We don't have to agree. What is it you want. To lurk about until you see an opening and begin this game again?

Manny- poster- is an example you should re-think. He started insulting me from the start. Fine. No big deal, except you are now saying that there are legit reasons why other people are insulting me-yet the fact that he started it is overlooked in your little argument. We are going nowhere. Why don't you worry about you--not me?

The craigslist thing is just that craigslist - rants and raves- was at one time a pretty interesting place to discuss things. It also allowed cursing, insults, whatever...it was interesting...
in the end it became a place full of bigotry and nonsense...and it was full of rudeness etc...
That was what I meant-sorry for not explaining it.

I don't know what else to tell you-we are going in circles.
Even though you continued to insult me (calling me stupid again)
I will take your comments into consideration.

Last thing;
I find it kinda funny that you have convinced yourself and seem to want everyone else to know that I am a cop.

You came to this conclusion on your own. I don't know what to tell you about that. I don't try to ask what you do and it is none of my business.

People wear different hats at times in their lives. Policework may or may not be a hat that I once wore or a hat that I wear now, I have worn many other hats too. It still doesn't define me, as I am sure whatever you do or did for a living does not define you.
I stated plainly in the cop thread --that if the officers were guilty--that they should be punished. Somehow, you overlooked that comment too and mentioned only the other side of my argument.

I am not trying to argue with or justify anything to you here, but this is tiring and I am trying to speak reasonably here, because it seems like we will keep going in circles. Having said that, I get the feeling that I am of a different generation than most here-so maybe that is why you feel I have come across a certain way. I mentioned to you before that I didn't pay much attention to grammar and punctuation. It strikes me now, that younger people here, grew up with computers and it is second nature to you guys. So maybe my RANTING--and whatnot...was taken for being rude and I can understand that and tone it down. I was kinda jolted when you said I was raging? Now I kinda see what you mean--but it was my bastardized way of typing. Just throw whatever words together and post. Ok. I see where you would think I was raging. I can change that.

Fair enough?

MannyIsGod
10-01-2010, 05:28 PM
Instead of toning it down could you just not post instead? You could even pretend in your head that you were posting and feel very gratified that your posts were top notch. I think this is a great solution.

Lets try it now. Instead of replying with an answer just imagine you replied with an answer!

10-01-2010, 05:35 PM
So many words...

silverblk mystix
10-01-2010, 06:03 PM
Instead of toning it down could you just not post instead? You could even pretend in your head that you were posting and feel very gratified that your posts were top notch. I think this is a great solution.

Lets try it now. Instead of replying with an answer just imagine you replied with an answer!

:lol...I'm smarter than you...:lol

that was classic..

nothing else needs to be said Will Hunting...:lol

keep reading those books!

MannyIsGod
10-01-2010, 06:11 PM
:(

and for while I thought you were actually going to do it.

Cry Havoc
10-01-2010, 06:36 PM
:lol...I'm smarter than you...:lol

that was classic..

nothing else needs to be said Will Hunting...:lol

keep reading those books!

Yeah, it's almost a stupid as saying, "well, we don't know the facts yet. But I right and you're wrong!" :lol :lmao

For the record, I never asked what you do/did for a living. You volunteered that information. It was in the same thread where you said you were 100% sure you knew the officers had done no wrong. Because, as everyone knows here, you are awesome at being objective.

That last sentence is verbal irony, by the way.

http://www.eddieoneverything.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/the_more_you_know2-300x197.jpg

Obstructed_View
10-01-2010, 06:37 PM
the abyss

The theatrical version ending is absolutely retarded. The director's cut, while still fairly lame, was much better explained.

Obstructed_View
10-01-2010, 06:40 PM
I don't remember being bothered by that ending, but I haven't watched that movie since shortly after it came out. I can't place the details.

Should probably watch the damn thing again, now that I think about it, since I own it.

They pussed out on the remake. Didn't quite get that.

silverblk mystix
10-01-2010, 07:14 PM
Yeah, it's almost a stupid as saying, "well, we don't know the facts yet. But I right and you're wrong!" :lol :lmao

For the record, I never asked what you do/did for a living. You volunteered that information. It was in the same thread where you said you were 100% sure you knew the officers had done no wrong. Because, as everyone knows here, you are awesome at being objective.

That last sentence is verbal irony, by the way.

http://www.eddieoneverything.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/the_more_you_know2-300x197.jpg

Ok..see this is what is frustrating to me. You just did it again. You twisted words and made an inaccurate comment about me and then from here it starts piling up.

#1) If you care enough to be accurate, please re-read that thread about-I am right,etc...
When I said I was right--I was talking about ONE aspect that I had commented on. For example, when you said that the cops had no reason to be there. Ok...It was revealed that the paramedics had called the cops. So, I would say then that I was right---BUT only about that ONE thing. The one thing was that the cops had a RIGHT to be there. I am sorry that I did not make that clear. Maybe, I don't know, you took that to mean that I know I am right about every aspect of that thread. That is why I tried to reason with you before and I asked you --why don't we take one topic at a time--so that we can have an honest debate. Instead your retort was that I was not intelligent enough to argue several points at once.
When that thread started, you said that the cops had no warrant (you were right) no right to be there (not correct-remember the paramedics called the cops) and should be fired among other things. What I was TRYING to point out at that time was that, although it appeared to look bad--there would be more facts brought to light that would give us a better picture. Instead , the way I worded it--was that we don't know all the facts.(but I am right) That is why you jumped on me because it sounds funny. My mistake for not properly wording the argument. Finally, you just stated (wrongly) that I said the officers had done NO WRONG. This is frustrating because I said from the very start and I repeat here for the umpteenth time-that if the officers were guilty and had no right to be there-that they should be fired,sued,etc...
So that does NOT = to me saying that they did no wrong. Very Frustrating.
Later on in the thread when it had degenerated into personal attacks by both sides-is when I said that the officers would be commended for their actions.
So, would it hurt you to be accurate and not so self-righteous? I am not trying to escalate this as I am bored of going in circles but it would be at least reasonable to start letting this go in a reasonable way.

#2) Again. If you care to be accurate. Please re-read where I said I was a cop. I know that I never said I was. I actually told you directly that I would not confirm nor deny. It is no one's business and I would never say it anyway.
So, if you feel that you can throw allegations and want to appear credible-from now on -check what you are throwing out because it is inaccurate.

Time to let this tired vendetta go, don't you think?

CuckingFunt
10-01-2010, 07:51 PM
I don't know what else to tell you-we are going in circles.

If that bothers you, stop encouraging it. And stop turning this into a conversation about something other than No Country for Old Men.

I haven't seen anything on either side of the argument that I find particularly insulting, so I'm not going to weigh in on who started the personal attacks, but the only reason this conversation has moved beyond the qualities of the film itself is because YOU mistook our disagreement with your argument for an attack on your opinion. And YOU got all bent out of shape about it.

If you're tired of going in circles, then quit chasing your tail. This shit ain't rocket surgery.

silverblk mystix
10-01-2010, 10:13 PM
If that bothers you, stop encouraging it. And stop turning this into a conversation about something other than No Country for Old Men.

I haven't seen anything on either side of the argument that I find particularly insulting, so I'm not going to weigh in on who started the personal attacks, but the only reason this conversation has moved beyond the qualities of the film itself is because YOU mistook our disagreement with your argument for an attack on your opinion. And YOU got all bent out of shape about it.

If you're tired of going in circles, then quit chasing your tail. This shit ain't rocket surgery.

I was only referring to Cry Havoc in that post, and it was referring to recent history between cry havoc and I and involving no-one else in this thread. The manny example was just to try to explain something to Cry Havoc. Yes, for once I agree with you.

Nuff sed.

Insomniac
10-02-2010, 04:34 AM
The Wizard of Oz.

Obstructed_View
10-03-2010, 06:04 PM
Contact. Dumbest fucking ending ever.

CuckingFunt
10-03-2010, 08:13 PM
Contact. Dumbest fucking ending ever.

I would agree that the ending was horrible and made that movie suck worse than it would have otherwise, but the "movies that were good until..." part of the thread title keeps me from fully endorsing its inclusion.

Obstructed_View
10-04-2010, 12:07 AM
I would agree that the ending was horrible and made that movie suck worse than it would have otherwise, but the "movies that were good until..." part of the thread title keeps me from fully endorsing its inclusion.

:lol Fair enough. I actually liked the book a lot, and would probably have liked the movie just as much until that ending. I really hated that Zemeckis had to put Clinton in as the president through the entire movie, but aside from that retarded gimmick I enjoyed it. In the book the image of her father tells her that there's a message embedded in pi, indicating a creator of the universe, which reconciles the religious/scientific argument. It's a much more elegant resolution than just having a kid ask her if there's life on other planets and she says "I don't know, what do you think?"