PDA

View Full Version : The Obama Pot Policy is Wrong Too

Nbadan
09-26-2010, 01:27 PM
Although not able to partake myself, I don't begrudge those which do partake and have found them to be generally, less violent, and less likely to be of low character (i.e. thieves) than alcoholics....in fact, Brewing companies are some of the most outspoken critics of legalized marijuana because it decreases the sale of alcohol

The liquor industry: "Love us or leave us!"

Friday, September 24, 2010

HELENA -- The Obama administration adamantly opposes legalizing marijuana and has a dubious view of medical marijuana, a top White House drug policy adviser said here Thursday night.

Kevin Sabet, special adviser for policy at the White House's Office of National Drug Control Policy, said marijuana is a dangerous drug that causes documented health and social problems, and should not be subject to voter approval for its use.

"Marijuana cannot be the one exception in history of the world that doesn’t go through a scientific process to be approved as medicine," he told the Montana Supreme Court Administrator’s annual drug court conference in Helena. "It doesn't make any sense.

"How can we imagine that a dangerous, illegal drug like marijuana should be voted on by the people? That's not how we do medicine in this country."

Billings Gazette (http://billingsgazette.com/news/state-and-regional/montana/article_21fcbb0a-c831-11df-ad35-001cc4c03286.html)

Meanwhile, "Eight in 10 Americans support legalizing marijuana for medical use and nearly half favor decriminalizing the drug more generally, both far higher than a decade ago." http://abcnews.go.com/PollingUnit/Politics/medical-mari...

balli
09-26-2010, 01:32 PM
Kevin Sabet, special adviser for policy at the White House's Office of National Drug Control Policy, said marijuana is a dangerous drug that causes documented health and social problems, and should not be subject to voter approval for its use.

"Marijuana cannot be the one exception in history of the world that doesn’t go through a scientific process to be approved as medicine," he told the Montana Supreme Court Administrator’s annual drug court conference in Helena. "It doesn't make any sense.

Somebody should tell that dumb asshole about the multi billion dollar herbal and holistic industry. What a joke of an argument.

If dumbass teabaggers want EVEN MORE evidence that Obama isn't an America killing commie bastard son of Malcom X they need look no further than this policy.

byrontx
09-26-2010, 02:16 PM
The Drug-On wars keeps claiming victims while people convinced of their moral superiority to you and me feel entitled to limit our choices. The irony is that for the most part it is the conservatives who claim to hate big gov and be advocates for states rights that want big gov to bust you for thinking different and to keep the option away from the state level.

I have glaucoma. Every month I have to pay $80 for drops to place in my eyes to stop the progression of the damage. Nobody's is offering a cure-they want their monthlies. Everyone is looking for a way to maximise their profit from my disease and the government wants to limit my choices to whomever can make the most money off my ass. I feel pretty self-righteous about the option of self-medicating. Haven't yet, but I will if I want to.

boutons_deux
09-26-2010, 02:54 PM
13K deaths/year for overdoses of FDA-approved prescription drugs.

$200B/years in alcohol-related damages.

How many deaths and how much damage/year from the millions of habitual users of marijuana?

FDA/USDA have been totally captured by corporations and acts as corporate enforcer, NOT as protector of citizens from corporation shit and predations.

Nbadan
09-26-2010, 03:29 PM
What the Pot Legalization Campaign Really Threatens: Alcohol Industry Profits
In a society drunk off of alcohol propaganda we've had trouble separating fact from fiction. Legalizing pot would bring some sense to things.

September 23, 2010 | Here's a fact that even drug policy reform advocates can acknowledge: California's 2010 ballot initiative to legalize marijuana does, indeed, pose a real threat, as conservative culture warriors insist. But not to public health, as those conservatives claim.

According to most physicians, pot is less toxic -- and has more medicinal applications -- than a legal and more pervasive drug like alcohol. Whereas alcohol causes hundreds of annual overdose deaths, contributes to untold numbers of illnesses and is a major factor in violent crime, marijuana has never resulted in a fatal overdose and has not been systemically linked to major illness or violent crime.

So this ballot measure is no public health threat. If anything, it would give the millions of citizens who want to use inebriating substances a safer alternative to alcohol. Which, of course, gets to what this ballot initiative really endangers: alcohol industry profits.

That truth is underscored by news this week that the California Beer and Beverage Distributors is financing the campaign against the legalization initiative. This is the same group that bankrolled opposition to a 2008 ballot measure, which would have reduced penalties for marijuana possession. ....

Alternet (http://www.alternet.org/drugs/148279/what_the_pot_legalization_campaign_really_threaten s%3A_alcohol_industry_profits)

boutons_deux
09-26-2010, 05:20 PM
The War on Drugs is a BU$INE$$, like all America's wars.

It's also profoundly a Racist War on Blacks and Browns.