PDA

View Full Version : Race in San Antonio

Useruser666
09-27-2010, 09:54 AM
Something I found that I thought was interesting....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1315078/Race-maps-America.html

San Antonio in Texas paints a much better picture of integration, with whites and Hispanics blurring the boundaries and no real sign of a rich white enclave.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1315078/Race-maps-America.html#ixzz10k3QjoZ2

MannyIsGod
09-27-2010, 10:01 AM
Interesting. The population density on San Antonio's map seems much lower than a lot of the others and while the NW and far west sides do look very well integrated I'd say that you find a few rich white enclaves shown on the map heading up 281 to the north. They're likely right where you'd expect them to be but they don't show up as strong as other cities due to the lower population density.

Also, I'd note that the most run down areas of town are primarily Hispanic or Black while the areas of town that are in better condition have a higher population of white people even if they share it with Hispanic citizens as well.

That being said, taking one look at places like Detroit shows how much more integrated SA is.

desflood
09-27-2010, 10:37 AM
Also, I'd note that the most run down areas of town are primarily Hispanic or Black while the areas of town that are in better condition have a higher population of white people even if they share it with Hispanic citizens as well.

That being said, taking one look at places like Detroit shows how much more integrated SA is.
"Run-down" is a relative term. My parents came to visit a few years back. We were driving through one of the low-income areas of SA one day and all my father could say was, "This is one of the poor neighborhoods? It's so clean." Nothing down here can compare to the rundown blocks in Detroit :lol

DarkReign
09-27-2010, 10:38 AM

City of Detroit: 80% Black 20% Other
Metro Detroit: 80% White 20% Other

Guess where every member here at ST is from?

mrsmaalox
09-27-2010, 11:01 AM
Nice article :tu I think those maps also illustrate quite well the cities with large areas of concentration of foreign immigrants. NYC, LA, DC----you can't miss the foreign languages and dialects anywhere you go in those cities; and as they always have, immigrants will settle amongst their own. San Antonio's immigrant population is probably less diverse and integrates more easily.

BlairForceDejuan
09-27-2010, 11:58 AM
S.A. has an extremely diverse population even though its not as population dense as other major cities. S.A. is just a chill laid back city.

Shelly
09-27-2010, 12:16 PM
User posted??? SW, do you know about this???

SpursWoman
09-27-2010, 12:27 PM
Shocked me, too ... I had to check the date. :wow

A drive-by is my bet. :rolleyes :lol

MannyIsGod
09-27-2010, 12:34 PM
"Run-down" is a relative term. My parents came to visit a few years back. We were driving through one of the low-income areas of SA one day and all my father could say was, "This is one of the poor neighborhoods? It's so clean." Nothing down here can compare to the rundown blocks in Detroit :lol

Well, Detroit is Detroit.

MannyIsGod
09-27-2010, 12:34 PM
City of Detroit: 80% Black 20% Other
Metro Detroit: 80% White 20% Other

Guess where every member here at ST is from?

:lol

Yeah, not suprised.