PDA

View Full Version : Project Spurs: Bobby Simmons added to spurs training camp roster

jiggy_55
09-27-2010, 10:58 AM
This just came in from twitter:

http://twitter.com/projectspurs/status/25698839501

"Bobby Simmons added to #spurs training camp roster. Post coming soon."

jiggy_55
09-27-2010, 11:02 AM
A quick twitter search with "Bobby Simmons" shows this as the only other tweet with such news..

http://twitter.com/#!/ceobar/status/25663905089

@ceobar
"Congrads to my big homie Bobby Simmons signed a new Contract w/ the san antonio Spurs.I guess this season I'll b n texas & oklahoma.."

jiggy_55
09-27-2010, 11:05 AM
What's weird is the guy says he signed a contract, he mentions it as if it was a guaranteed one... We'll know soon

Ice009
09-27-2010, 11:09 AM
Wow I thought he was taller. Says he's 6ft 6in

timvp
09-27-2010, 11:11 AM
:tu He was the only vet SF that I was still interested in. He's probably done but doesn't hurt to find out.

ElNono
09-27-2010, 11:13 AM
Bogans 2.0.... ugh

jiggy_55
:tu He was the only vet SF that I was still interested in. He's probably done but doesn't hurt to find out.

Exactly what I thought. Don't see how we can lose much, I just want to know if this is some sort of guaranteed deal or just a camp invite to see what he's still got.

lurker23
Wow, big news. Also, great news if he's still got some game left. However, I hope it's a non-guaranteed contract. While it would be great to have a solid backup SF, it would hurt if he took roster spots and playing time away from players like Gee and Anderson JUST because he's a vet with a guaranteed deal.

ohmwrecker
09-27-2010, 11:22 AM
Blech! I guess I will stay optimistic, but I've never been overly impressed with this dude. I am sure there will be a bunch of bozos falling over themselves on this thread saying how they thought "Bobby Simmons was the best SF option out there" after timvp's lukewarm endorsement.

ElNono
09-27-2010, 11:25 AM
Blech! I guess I will stay optimistic, but I've never been overly impressed with this dude. I am sure there will be a bunch of bozos falling over themselves on this thread saying how they thought "Bobby Simmons was the best SF option out there" after timvp's lukewarm endorsement.

Basically. Followed by the stories of how Bobby Simmons beat Alonzo Gee in training camp, and why he gets minutes over Anderson when neither can't stop anybody...

At least it's only September...:lol

Ice009
09-27-2010, 11:28 AM

Why do people say that he's done? What kind of injuries has he had?

G-Dawgg
09-27-2010, 11:30 AM
Simmons can help. He's not a ball hawk defensively, but he's not too bad. Even at his age he's still got good skills that will help us on offense. He's much better offensively than Bogans and can score in many different ways.

A few years ago (either 07 or 08) he played well enough to win the NBA's most improved player award.

I'll take him on this team as a backup 3... Just put it this way, -He's way better than Finley was.

Ice009
09-27-2010, 11:32 AM
Old age.

but he's not that old.

Chomag
09-27-2010, 11:35 AM
Come on guys we all know Pop is not a kind of person to be tempted at overplaying a vet over trying to develop a young player.:lol

Bogans 2.0

timvp
09-27-2010, 11:36 AM
Wow, big news. Also, great news if he's still got some game left. However, I hope it's a non-guaranteed contract. While it would be great to have a solid backup SF, it would hurt if he took roster spots and playing time away from players like Gee and Anderson JUST because he's a vet with a guaranteed deal.

Yeah, a partially guaranteed contract would also work. Considering that he just recently signed and the fact that the market for all players dried up a while ago, I'd be pretty darn surprised if he got more than $80K guaranteed.

ohmwrecker
09-27-2010, 11:37 AM
Come on guys we all know Pop is not a kind of person to be tempted at overplaying a vet over trying developing a young player.:lol

Bogans 2.0

Unfortunately, he is not as good a defender as Bogans. I am, also unfortunately, not being sarcastic.

ChumpDumper
09-27-2010, 11:40 AM
Would have been nicer before his injury problems, but really can't hurt to try him out.

Ice009
09-27-2010, 11:43 AM
Would have been nicer before his injury problems, but really can't hurt to try him out.

What were his injury problems?

lurker23
09-27-2010, 11:43 AM
Yeah, a partially guaranteed contract would also work. Considering that he just recently signed and the fact that the market for all players dried up a while ago, I'd be pretty darn surprised if he got more than $80K guaranteed.

Yeah, that was my thought too. Odds are the reason we're only hearing about this today is because he was holding out in case a better (read: more guaranteed) offer came from another team.

SenorSpur
09-27-2010, 11:54 AM
Come on guys we all know Pop is not a kind of person to be tempted at overplaying a vet over trying to develop a young player.:lol

Bogans 2.0

If Pop ever talks about Simmons and uses the word "centerpiece" in the same sentence, that is the moment that we all should be worried.

ChumpDumper
09-27-2010, 11:56 AM
What were his injury problems?He had foot and ankle surgery in 06-07 and DX alluded to some knee problems later that I have yet to corroborate. That could explain his dropoff if nothing else.

jjktkk
09-27-2010, 01:42 PM
Considering there were not a whole lot of sf options out there, not a bad signing. Some of you who bash this, might consider that this signing is for a backup sf, not a starter. Unless Simmons lights it up in training camp, or RJ gets injured, I doubt he ever averages more than 10 minutes a game. I would think Pop will employ more 3 guard sets than Simmons getting significant minutes.

lefty
09-27-2010, 01:42 PM
Bobby Simmons?

What the FUCK !!!!

Sequ thread in 3,2,...

8FOR!3
09-27-2010, 01:50 PM
Bobby Simmons is basically 6'7, he's 6'6 without shoes on and 6'7 with shoes. But everyone says Keith Bogans is 6'5 when reality is without shoes he's technically 6'4. He's a decent defender. Bogans is the better defender, but Simmons is a natural SF, bigger, and stronger. Bogans is not a bad player, but he's undersized even for a SG. We had him at SF. If he was three inches taller he would've been a perfect fit for us. I see potential in Bobby Simmons to put up 5-7 points a game and play solid team D.

DesignatedT
09-27-2010, 02:01 PM
This guy could be useful. He is a lot more talented than bogans was.

Spurs Brazil
09-27-2010, 02:37 PM
I think Simmons is a good option. I'd like to see a veteran wing at camp because we only have Gee and maybe Anderson to play backup SF.

Let's see who will play better and I hope Pop give the minutes to the guy who plays better in camp and doesn't do like last season with Bogans

slick'81
09-27-2010, 02:45 PM
agreed its not like hes alock to make the roster if he shows he can play maybe it wont be soo bad ala bogans 2.0

DesignatedT
09-27-2010, 03:45 PM
The Spurs also haven't seen Anderson yet. They have no idea whether or not he will be able to play the backup 3 which leaves Gee as the only option they have that they have actually seen play. This was bound to happen and Simmons isn't the worst option. He has had great seasons in the past, especially from long range.

ceperez
09-27-2010, 03:58 PM
Bobby Simmons is basically 6'7, he's 6'6 without shoes on and 6'7 with shoes. But everyone says Keith Bogans is 6'5 when reality is without shoes he's technically 6'4. He's a decent defender. Bogans is the better defender, but Simmons is a natural SF, bigger, and stronger. Bogans is not a bad player, but he's undersized even for a SG. We had him at SF. If he was three inches taller he would've been a perfect fit for us. I see potential in Bobby Simmons to put up 5-7 points a game and play solid team D.

Should be a serviceable SF. DraftExpress take:

Overview: A quality small forward who had his development stunted by injuries after coming to Milwaukee as the reigning Most Improved Player. Nice physical strength and long arms. Can make plays on both ends. Has improved his offense significantly since entering the League. Showed signs of offensive potential during his three seasons at DePaul. Needed time to transition his shooting stroke to the NBA level. Spent some time in the NBADL, something that really helped his game in the long run. Used his playing time to find his range again. Recent injuries have slowed him, and it will take time for him to round back into form.

Offense: A solid offensive player who will need time to turn back into the player he was before his knee injury. Has asserted himself more as the season has gone on. Gets almost half of his touches in spot up situations, but also proves effective in one-on-one and post up situations. Displays a pretty consistent jumper with range out past the three point line. Pretty good catch and shoot player. Will do quite a bit of damage pulling up off the dribble as well. Decent ball handling ability. Tends to drive left more often than right. Very good midrange game. Lacks a great first step or incredible explosiveness. Has a tough time finishing at the rim, and doesn’t do a very good job drawing contact to compensate for that. Not a great foul shooter. Provides a nice scoring presence off the ball, but will need time to rediscover the one-on-one skills that he was developing. Doesn’t make many mistakes, which allows him to make an impact even as he continues to find his game.

Defense: A decent defender who is a solid all around player. Uses his athleticism to his advantage when defending the perimeter. Does a good job sliding his feet to deny penetration. Will make an effort to read passers and create turnovers, but would rather stay solid that take an unnecessary risk. Cleans the glass occasionally, but likes to get up the floor when he feels his teammates have thing covered. Gets in a solid stance and plays a very sound brand of defense.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Bobby-Simmons-4340/#ixzz10lXMIhFl
http://www.draftexpress.com

Bruno
09-27-2010, 04:00 PM
He was the best option available but he is a "meh" signing. It will all depend if he is in a good enough shape to play some solid defense.

I also hope it isn't a guaranteed contract. Simmons will fight with Gee for the backup SF spot and with Gist for the small ball PF spot. Both Gee and Gist have the psychical tools to be damn good defenders. I would be upset if they are cut after a good training camp because Simmons contract is guaranteed and Spurs don't have the money to keep Gist or Gee.

DesignatedT
09-27-2010, 04:02 PM
Rather have Simmons than Gist. Definitely don't want to get rid of Gee though.

ceperez
09-27-2010, 04:05 PM
Both Gee and Gist have the psychical tools to be damn good defenders. I would be upset if they are cut after a good training camp because Simmons contract is guaranteed and Spurs don't have the money to keep Gist or Gee.

Pop will have to choose between experience and potential.

Unfortunately, we all know what Pop usually prefers.

That said, he's got decent length, athleticism and bulk. Much better signing than Bogans.

Man In Black
09-27-2010, 04:16 PM
When that guy was a Clipper, he was a solid SF. Scored close to 17 per I think and shot over 40% from the arc. For those that wonder if his arms are long? His wingspan is actually longer that George Hill's. 7 and 1/4 inch over Hill's 6'9".

Overview: A quality small forward who had his development stunted by injuries after coming to Milwaukee as the reigning Most Improved Player. Nice physical strength and long arms. Can make plays on both ends. Has improved his offense significantly since entering the League. Showed signs of offensive potential during his three seasons at DePaul. Needed time to transition his shooting stroke to the NBA level. Spent some time in the NBADL, something that really helped his game in the long run. Used his playing time to find his range again. Recent injuries have slowed him, and it will take time for him to round back into form.

Offense: A solid offensive player who will need time to turn back into the player he was before his knee injury. Has asserted himself more as the season has gone on. Gets almost half of his touches in spot up situations, but also proves effective in one-on-one and post up situations. Displays a pretty consistent jumper with range out past the three point line. Pretty good catch and shoot player. Will do quite a bit of damage pulling up off the dribble as well. Decent ball handling ability. Tends to drive left more often than right. Very good midrange game. Lacks a great first step or incredible explosiveness. Has a tough time finishing at the rim, and doesn’t do a very good job drawing contact to compensate for that. Not a great foul shooter. Provides a nice scoring presence off the ball, but will need time to rediscover the one-on-one skills that he was developing. Doesn’t make many mistakes, which allows him to make an impact even as he continues to find his game.

Defense: A decent defender who is a solid all around player. Uses his athleticism to his advantage when defending the perimeter. Does a good job sliding his feet to deny penetration. Will make an effort to read passers and create turnovers, but would rather stay solid that take an unnecessary risk. Cleans the glass occasionally, but likes to get up the floor when he feels his teammates have thing covered. Gets in a solid stance and plays a very sound brand of defense.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/article/NBA-Scouting-Reports-Central-Division-Part-Two--2674/#ixzz10lc2Uz3H
http://www.draftexpress.com

crc21209
09-27-2010, 04:23 PM
Decent pickup, let's see how he does...

timtonymanu
09-27-2010, 04:25 PM
As long as he isnt Udoka or Bogans, this will be a decent signing.

But as others have said, I dont want him to be chosen over Gee.

angelbelow
09-27-2010, 04:29 PM
the bobby simmons from 5 years ago would have been nice. regardless, interested to see what he can bring now.

ceperez
09-27-2010, 04:29 PM
Simmons made a ton of money years ago:

The 6-foot-6 forward was voted the NBA's Most Improved Player after averaging 16.4 points with the Clippers in 2004-05. Simmons cashed in on his stellar season with a five-year, $47 million contract from Milwaukee.

That is nearly $10m a season.

Somebody years ago thought that this guy was loaded with potential.

DesignatedT
09-27-2010, 04:37 PM
He is definitely worth the gamble when considering he had a couple really great seasons.

lurker23
09-27-2010, 05:37 PM
JMcDonald_SAEN

Lost, somewhat, in media day frenzy: #spurs sign NBA veteran forward Bobby Simmons to make-good camp deal:http://bit.ly/9OFy04

lurker23
09-27-2010, 05:39 PM
Good news, not a guaranteed contract. Let the battle for the backup 3 begin.

benefactor
09-27-2010, 05:41 PM
Very good news indeed. Hopefully he earns it.

AlleyOopNazi
09-27-2010, 05:44 PM
unfortunately there are only 48 minutes in a game, sorry Simmons

Anonymous Cowherd
09-27-2010, 05:47 PM
Parker - Ginobili - Jefferson - Duncan - Splitter
Hill - Anderson - Simmons - Blair - McDyess
Temple - Neal - Bonner

sorted.

The Btown Spur
09-27-2010, 05:57 PM
According to Timvp:
"18. Bobby Simmons
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3551.jpg
Bobby Simmons is coming off of a dreadful season with the Nets but he has enough recent production that he must be considered. In 2008-09, Simmons shot 44.7% on three-pointers and has hit better than 40% of his threes during his career. He specializes in hitting threes from the corners, which would work well in San Antonio. Defensive is a problem, however. He doesn't move well out on the perimeter and has developed a number of bad habits over the years. Signing with the Spurs could re-invigorate his career ... but that's far from a guarantee."

DesignatedT
09-27-2010, 05:58 PM
Parker - Ginobili - Jefferson - Duncan - Splitter
Hill - Anderson - Simmons - Blair - McDyess
Temple - Neal - Bonner

sorted.

Just missing Gee.

dbestpro
09-27-2010, 06:25 PM
Of note from wiki page,

Bobby Simmons was traded along with Yi Jianlian to The New Jersey Nets for Richard Jefferson on June 26, 2008, just a few hours before that year's NBA Draft.[1] While his season was not as productive as he personally would have liked, he managed to finish 5th in the league in 3 point shooting percentage.

ChuckD
09-27-2010, 07:02 PM
Bogans 2.0.... ugh

Career 40% long baller, and 6'6". NOT Bogans...not at all. Bobby shot 45% from downtown year before last on 250+ shots.

ChuckD
09-27-2010, 07:06 PM
He had foot and ankle surgery in 06-07 and DX alluded to some knee problems later that I have yet to corroborate. That could explain his dropoff if nothing else.

He had a really good 08-09 season, at least offensively.

ChuckD
09-27-2010, 07:15 PM
I pray he doesn't play small ball 4.

Someone will. You know Pop. Sim has averaged as many as 5.9 rebs in a season. Other than Ginobili, do we have a better wing rebounder than that?

Spurs Brazil
09-27-2010, 07:15 PM
JMcDonald_SAEN

Simmons most likely a make-good camp contract. He's a better-than-decent bet to make the roster, since #spurs covet a wing defender.

lurker23
09-27-2010, 07:17 PM
JMcDonald_SAEN

Simmons most likely a make-good camp contract. He's a better-than-decent bet to make the roster, since #spurs covet a wing defender.

Hmmm, now McDonald is sneaking the words "most likely" in there. Guess we still don't know for sure.

TD 21
09-27-2010, 07:21 PM
Hmmm, now McDonald is sneaking the words "most likely" in there. Guess we still don't know for sure.

I presume McDonald is sneaking the words "most likely" in there for just that reason, because he doesn't yet know for sure.

I'd be surprised if it's guaranteed, but either way, I think he'll make the roster.

If he's in relatively good shape and can still move well enough laterally to be even a marginal defender, then I can't see how he wouldn't make it, short of Gee playing out of his mind.

Seventyniner
09-27-2010, 07:31 PM
JMcDonald_SAEN

A wing player who has to spend half the game playing defense is not a wing defender. Do the Spurs think they can teach that old dog new tricks?

He'll be glued to the bench in the playoffs anyway, so I don't see how this signing matters. Maybe he could help the Spurs get an extra win or two in the regular season.

Spurs Brazil
09-27-2010, 07:42 PM
Camp roster finalized: Hello, Bobby Simmons
By Jeff McDonald on Sep 27, 10 03:31 PM | Permalink | Comments (4) Save & Share Yahoo! BuzzYahoo! Newsvine del.icio.us Facebook Google Reddit Fark Twitter
The Spurs have released their finalized training camp roster, although there's a good chance even the "finalized" version isn't final.

The most intriguing name on the list is Bobby Simmons. He is intriguing because A) he's got eight seasons of NBA experience on his resume; and B) He plays a position (small forward) at which the Spurs are alarmingly thin.

Even though he appeared in only 23 games last season for a 12-win New Jersey team, Simmons stands an excellent chance of making the final roster. The Spurs are not prepared to enter the season without a proven wing defender, and the 30-year-old Simmons is the closet thing on the camp roster to it.

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2010/09/camp-roster-fin.html

Spurs Brazil
09-27-2010, 07:47 PM
JMcDonald_SAEN

So if Simmons isn't exactly a wing defender, he's going to have to re-invent himself as one in order to make the team.

Perhaps more to the point, whoever is going to grab that backup 3 spot, be it Simmons or Gee or someone else, is going to have to play D.

On this roster, yeah. It's all relative. RT @croogle you see Simmons as a wing defender?

OrEmuN
09-27-2010, 08:30 PM
Good training camp pickup. If he can nail that corner 3 and play not great but decent defense, he can be pretty useful. At least more useful than the Centrepiece who can't shoot to save his life

Another thing to note: He shot 41.7% in 3pt percentage in the only playoff appearance with the Bucks in 2006. Although it is a small sample size, it is way better than Bonner.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
09-27-2010, 08:40 PM
He's insurance, but it is an indication that Gee won't play much. Ho hum.

Chieflion
09-27-2010, 08:41 PM
Got this one correct. If it doesn't work out, there's almost nothing to lose, considering the Spurs don't have a backup SF with some size and shoots the 3. If it works out, great. The Spurs didn't go out of their way to sign him anyway.

dunkman
09-27-2010, 08:56 PM
Since he's average defender, the Spurs are signing him as SF backup and for small ball, I guess with RJ at 4 since Simmons can't guard PF's.

The small ball was so awful in the past, because Finley was past his prime and unable to defend or rebound and Bowen was a bad rebounder too.

The Spurs have only 5 bigs, and there are no reports of efforts to sign Damp for example.

Ditty
09-27-2010, 08:59 PM
I rather go with a younger guy than him..I rather the spurs wait until the trade deadline I try to use there 1st round pick this year or future pick to maybe lurk a small foward from a struggling team thats looking to shead salary (ex. ronnie brewer to grizzles for 1st round pick last year)

Danny.Zhu
09-27-2010, 09:09 PM
Considering there were not a whole lot of sf options out there, not a bad signing. Some of you who bash this, might consider that this signing is for a backup sf, not a starter. Unless Simmons lights it up in training camp, or RJ gets injured, I doubt he ever averages more than 10 minutes a game. I would think Pop will employ more 3 guard sets than Simmons getting significant minutes.

Agreed. Is there any other option for th backup sf?

DesignatedT
09-27-2010, 09:42 PM
Simmons is a lot better player than Gist. Gist has shown absolutely nothing at this level. I'm for keeping both of them around but I am happy about this signing. He is definitely worth the risk.

Mr. Body
09-27-2010, 09:43 PM
He was pretty decent at one point in time. Not a bad guy to try out. I don't think we'd expect a whole lot of him... I hope.

mingus
09-27-2010, 11:48 PM
I don't see him playing anyway. I think at the end of the day Anderson and RJ will make up the SF rotation. Hopefully at least one of those guys comes in the the mindset to defend. and hopefully George Hill rdeems himself this year in thar respect.

ElNono
09-28-2010, 12:21 AM
I'm merely concerned that he might take minutes away from Gee/Anderson (even if garbage minutes). I much rather the kids keep on developing and getting minutes, however sparse, in real games than glued to the bench because of the veteran syndrome.
If the guy would be an above average defender, which we need, then it would be a different story. But that doesn't seem to be the case.

jjktkk
09-28-2010, 01:35 AM
I'm merely concerned that he might take minutes away from Gee/Anderson (even if garbage minutes). I much rather the kids keep on developing and getting minutes, however sparse, in real games than glued to the bench because of the veteran syndrome.
If the guy would be an above average defender, which we need, then it would be a different story. But that doesn't seem to be the case.

If the kids can play, they will see time on the court. Although Pop will always prefer veterans over youth, Hill and Blair, in recent years, shows that pop will put the kids out on the court if they produce.

DesignatedT
09-28-2010, 01:38 AM
If the guy is better now than Anderson or Gee than he should play. The young guys will have time to develop and we aren't rebuilding just yet.

ElNono
09-28-2010, 07:46 AM
If the kids can play, they will see time on the court. Although Pop will always prefer veterans over youth, Hill and Blair, in recent years, shows that pop will put the kids out on the court if they produce.

Hill was basically glued to the bench in his first playoffs, after being a rotation player, while Mason/Finley were sucking up a storm out there. Blair was also a rotation player and got his minutes halved while the Red Rocket kept his. So if those are the indicators, my concerns are certainly valid.

If the guy is better now than Anderson or Gee than he should play. The young guys will have time to develop and we aren't rebuilding just yet.

I was responding to the post that said they were mostly not going to play much. If that's the case, I rather let the kids get the minutes than a vet with no upside. Now, if they're going to be rotation players, I agree whoever is better should play. And FWIW, RC mentioned a while back in an interview that they were going to try to rebuild on the fly and that the rebuilding process is well underway.

Chomag
09-28-2010, 10:33 AM
He's insurance, but it is an indication that Gee won't play much. Ho hum.

Wasn't this the same exact thing said when signing Bogans last year?

dunkman
09-28-2010, 11:12 AM
The playoffs are different than regular season. If a rookie produces in regular season doesn't mean he can play in the playoffs. Besides, many rookies hit the wall at the end of the regular season. Those players pass from playing 30 games in College to 80 + playoffs next year.

I think that the Spurs are going to add only the players that are NBA ready. That's Jerrels, Gee, Anderson, Neal, Splitter and Simmons. That would leave the roster as:

Parker / Neal / Jerrels
Hill / Manu / Anderson
Jefferson / Simmons / Gee
Dice / Blair / Bonner
Duncan / Splitter

And the Spurs should still add a wing defender specialist, but it's unclear who.

Ed Helicopter Jones
09-28-2010, 11:17 AM
If Simmons can hit his threes from the corner like he did in '08-'09 I'd say give him a shot. The Spurs couldn't hit anything from deep last year against PHX. It was sad to watch. Someone draining a few wide open shots from the corner would be a welcome change. :tu

TDMVPDPOY
09-28-2010, 12:08 PM
surprise this guy didnt get a callup from other teams...

yavozerb
09-28-2010, 12:20 PM

Honestly, I am not 100% sold on this guy being better than either. Pop has always leaned towards the veteran player on this issue though.

We may soon find out why this guy couldnt a better offer this summer. If he can simply hit 40%+ from 3pt and provide average defense then its a good signing.

ceperez
09-28-2010, 12:56 PM

Bogans didn't get a callup either last season.

Spurs have an unfortunate habit of signing washed up players and placing them in the starting line-up. If you haven't noticed, they've done this for several years now:

Bogans
Stoudamire
Vaughn
Van Excel

jjktkk
09-28-2010, 01:09 PM

Spurs have an unfortunate habit of signing washed up players and placing them in the starting line-up. If you haven't noticed, they've done this for several years now:

Bogans
Stoudamire
Vaughn
Van Excel

But these washed up players signings over the years, did not set the franchise back. They, the Spurs were signing these guys for peanuts to see if they had anything left. None of those players you pointed out crippled the franchise, or set them back. Once Pop figured out these guys were done, they were cut. And besides Bogans starting, none of those vets you mentioned above were signed to be starters. They were signed to be backups, role players, or whatever you wish to call them.

ChumpDumper
09-28-2010, 01:32 PM
I'm not against an unguaranteed deal to see if he has anything left. I just don't see any recent evidence that he has anything left. I wouldn't want Gee to be dropped for Simmons since I think Gee actually has a Simmons-esque career ahead of him.

ace3g
09-28-2010, 03:44 PM
finally found a picture of Simmons from Media Day at MYSA.com

http://media.mysanantonio.com/images/SPURS%20MEDIA%20DAY%2003.jpg

Bruno
09-28-2010, 04:01 PM
I pray he doesn't play small ball 4.

Even if Simmons is a natural SF, he mostly played PF with Nets last year and Mavs considered him to backup Dirk.

Given that Spurs quickest big is Matt Bonner, it's a given that Spurs will play some small ball next year. If Gist isn't good enough, which is likely, Simmons would be the less worst option to play small ball PF.

Obstructed_View
09-28-2010, 04:09 PM
According to DX, Simmons is two full inches taller than Bogans and has a 4" longer wingspan and standing reach. He probably outweighs him by 20 pounds as well. Much better suited to be a small forward than Bogans. He'll be a nice insurance policy as the younger players develop, so long as Pop actually allows the younger players to develop. If he becomes Centerpiece mk II we could be in for deja vu.

SCdac
09-28-2010, 04:30 PM
I don't mind Simmons being on the training camp roster at all. Generally speaking, I think he's more talented and potentially just as useful as a Bogans or Udoka. Not by a mile, but at least he's got experience in the league, and is a career .401% three point shooter / .825% free throw shooter.

jjktkk
09-28-2010, 05:12 PM
according to dx, simmons is two full inches taller than bogans and has a 4" longer wingspan and standing reach. He probably outweighs him by 20 pounds as well. Much better suited to be a small forward than bogans. He'll be a nice insurance policy as the younger players develop, so long as pop actually allows the younger players to develop. If he becomes centerpiece mk ii we could be in for deja vu.

+1

anonoftheinternets
09-28-2010, 09:48 PM
I was surprised to hear that Simmons played the second unit 3 today.

can u list the players for all three units? tat would be really interesting.

ChuckD
09-28-2010, 10:14 PM
Typically the Spurs run the most experienced in the first unit and the others in the second. Group 1 is Parker, Manu, RJ, Duncan, Dice. Group 2 is Temp, Hill, Simmons Blair and Bonner. Other than Simmons it isn't hard to even guess.

I take this with a grain of salt if Tiago isn't in the first two units.

Obstructed_View
09-28-2010, 10:23 PM
I was surprised to hear that Simmons played the second unit 3 today.

Perhaps I'm not following. There are only two small forwards on the roster, so isn't that where we should expect to see him.

Obstructed_View
09-28-2010, 10:30 PM
The 3s were RJ, Simmons, Gee and Anderson.

Ah. With two actual NBA small forwards on the roster I sort of forgot about those two. :)

Big P
09-28-2010, 10:55 PM
I like the idea of Simmons on the roster...low risk..high reward.

Obstructed_View
09-28-2010, 11:45 PM
Well the Spurs are placing those two at the 3. According to one person I talked to Anderson is a lot thicker in the arms and chest than he expected.

My guess at the groups: Points: Tony, Temple, Jerrells. Off guards; Manu, Hill, Neal, Penny, (there is a debate on the netter shooter, Penny or Neal, they're both lights out) SF: see above PF: Gist and expected list.

Nothing special really.

I knew the Spurs had both penciled in as threes, but neither one really has the size, even with some extra bulk. Someone else mentioned Anderson's arms too. Looking at him on the day one video he looks to be quite a bit bigger than Neal but still about the same size as Gee.

While I'd really like to see both Anderson and Gee work their way into the rotation, I simply didn't think it was unexpected that a veteran who's a legitimate NBA 3 would immediately jump past both in the rotation.

ace3g
09-28-2010, 11:53 PM
Simmons in Spurs camp with point to prove

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/simmons_in_camp_with_point_to_prove_103977299.html

slick'81
09-29-2010, 12:08 AM
glad to see bobby wants to prove everyone wrong hes to hoping he can contribute some this season :toast

DesignatedT
09-29-2010, 01:01 AM
I'm pretty optimistic about Bobby. I really think he can work here. If he focuses on his Defense and getting better at that end he could be a perfect fit. It is well known that he has the capability of hitting the 3 ball. I hope he can get it all working.

SenorSpur
09-29-2010, 02:08 AM
I'm pretty optimistic about Bobby. I really think he can work here. If he focuses on his Defense and getting better at that end he could be a perfect fit. It is well known that he has the capability of hitting the 3 ball. I hope he can get it all working.

Agree. Simmons walks in with a better resume than anyone else, not named RJ, at the SF position. He need only concentrate being a consistent 3-ball shooter and committing himself on the defensive end. If does that, he would be the odd-on favorite to backup RJ - and a much better option than Bogans ever was, at that spot. Besides, we know much Pop loves players, who have a chip on their shoulder. I can't say I blame him, it makes for a motivated player.

Unless something unusual occurs during camp, I would assume that Gee is likely bound for a one-year stint in the D-League. Whatever happens, I just hope they don't give up on him. And I can't wait to find out what will become of Gist?

angelbelow
09-29-2010, 05:22 AM
IIRC simmons had a really nice jumper going for him (not sure about his 3-pt range.) hopefully he hasnt lost his touch in that department.

The Truth #6
09-29-2010, 10:35 AM
So if he makes it, then who gets left out? Gist or Gee?

I'm curious what his role would be exactly, other than "veteran".

Leetonidas
09-29-2010, 10:37 AM
Gist, because he sucks.

Thompson
09-29-2010, 11:02 AM
If Simmons is the backup small forward, I think Gee and Temple spend some time with the Toros. It's interesting that Penney is really impressing them with his shooting. They've already signed Neal though, how many shooting guards can they carry? I think Gist is gone, but who knows.

Maddog
09-29-2010, 11:13 AM
Simmons has the potetial to earn major minutes. If he is willing to learn the system and play D, he might even take some of RJs minutes-
His standing reach is similar to slightly better than RJ, has always rebounded well for a 3 and shoots the corner 3 (Heck all threes) well. He is not and has never been an all star but he is a legitimate NBA foward

ElNono
09-29-2010, 11:19 AM

Bogans
Stoudamire
Vaughn
Van Excel

They must have been phenomenal in practice... :lol

ElNono
09-29-2010, 11:24 AM
i'm not against an unguaranteed deal to see if he has anything left. I just don't see any recent evidence that he has anything left. I wouldn't want gee to be dropped for simmons since i think gee actually has a simmons-esque career ahead of him.

+1

DesignatedT
09-29-2010, 12:19 PM
So if he makes it, then who gets left out? Gist or Gee?

I'm curious what his role would be exactly, other than "veteran".

Gist is likely gone IMO. I don't think he had much of a shot to make the roster with or without Bobby here. Assuming Bobby makes the roster the Spurs are going to have to make a decision to keep Gee or not. I'm sure another NBA team will offer him some sort of deal (wizards?) If the spurs don't decide to keep him.

DesignatedT
09-29-2010, 12:21 PM
At this point I would feel more comfortable with Bobby as the backup 3 rather than Gee. Saying that, I definitely would want to keep Gee on just in case that doesn't seem to work out but Bobby already practicing with the 2nd unit doesn't surprise me at all.

slick'81
09-29-2010, 12:30 PM
i think gee is a keeper but simmons could make thing more interesting

i also think temple roster spot is safe as the backup/3rd pg

The Truth #6
09-29-2010, 12:44 PM
I haven't seen or heard much of Simmons since his Clippers days. It seemed like he parlayed a really strong season into a big paycheck and then vanished. From what I remember reading at the time, there was talk that he got lazy. But then again there was also reports of injuries. Who knows what happened and why he declined. I hope his recent motivation isn't too just get a final guaranteed contract. Yeah, Gist and Gee are obviously fighting to get a contract too but they want a future career as well. I'm not sold on Simmons being motivated longterm. Hopefully Pop can figure this one out correctly and keep the right player(s).

duncan228
09-29-2010, 02:12 PM
Training camp profile: Bobby Simmons (http://projectspurs.com/)
Written by Nick Kapsis
Project Spurs

Trey Gilder, we hardly knew ye.

Last week it was reported (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4637516&postcount=40) the San Antonio Spurs had brought Gilder in for a workout, which led most to deduce he'd be joining the team for their 2010-11 training camp.

Not so much.

In what is at the very least coincidental and in the very likely correlation, the Spurs and Bobby Simmons are now in the courting phase.

Popovich and the Spurs have made no secret of their less-than-certain status behind Richard Jefferson at the small forward position. They've made no claims that they in fact know exactly how they plan to address the need and complete their roster's puzzle.

They're keeping an open mind and given the dearth of free-agent options, they're probably open to suggestion.

So it should come as no surprise what was believed to be a week ago, isn't the reality of today. Simmons simply wasn't on their radar, or at least wasn't believed to be attainable.

He is now.

Keep Reading... (http://projectspurs.com/2010-articles/september/bobby-simmons.html)

Obstructed_View
09-29-2010, 03:26 PM
They must have been phenomenal in practice... :lol

:clap

EricB
09-29-2010, 04:34 PM
Vaughn and van exel were brought in as 3rd strings but forced into action due to Udrih's ineffectiveness.....

Mel_13
09-29-2010, 05:25 PM
Training camp profile: Bobby Simmons (http://projectspurs.com/)
Written by Nick Kapsis
Project Spurs

Trey Gilder, we hardly knew ye.

Last week it was reported (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4637516&postcount=40) the San Antonio Spurs had brought Gilder in for a workout, which led most to deduce he'd be joining the team for their 2010-11 training camp.

Not so much.

In what is at the very least coincidental and in the very likely correlation, the Spurs and Bobby Simmons are now in the courting phase.

Popovich and the Spurs have made no secret of their less-than-certain status behind Richard Jefferson at the small forward position. They've made no claims that they in fact know exactly how they plan to address the need and complete their roster's puzzle.o

They're keeping an open mind and given the dearth of free-agent options, they're probably open to suggestion.

So it should come as no surprise what was believed to be a week ago, isn't the reality of today. Simmons simply wasn't on their radar, or at least wasn't believed to be attainable.

He is now.

Keep Reading... (http://projectspurs.com/2010-articles/september/bobby-simmons.html)

Nice article.

EricB
09-29-2010, 05:52 PM
If he shoots as well as his numbers suggest, and is adequate on defense, and has a modicum of athleticism. It wouldn't shock me a bit to see him take the starting 3 job, moving RJ to the bench where his skills would come in handy.

Manu20
09-29-2010, 05:56 PM
I think Simmons is going to surprise people for the better, that is if you are a Spurs fan.

ceperez
09-29-2010, 06:18 PM
I think Simmons is going to surprise people for the better, that is if you are a Spurs fan.

He may even be more effective than RJ at the SF position.

Obstructed_View
09-29-2010, 08:26 PM
Vaughn and van exel were brought in as 3rd strings but forced into action due to Udrih's ineffectiveness.....

:lol

rayray2k8
09-29-2010, 08:53 PM
Gist, because he sucks.

Bro, who's the chick?? :wow

TJastal
09-29-2010, 11:56 PM
Agree. Simmons walks in with a better resume than anyone else, not named RJ, at the SF position. He need only concentrate being a consistent 3-ball shooter and committing himself on the defensive end. If does that, he would be the odd-on favorite to backup RJ - and a much better option than Bogans ever was, at that spot. Besides, we know much Pop loves players, who have a chip on their shoulder. I can't say I blame him, it makes for a motivated player.

Unless something unusual occurs during camp, I would assume that Gee is likely bound for a one-year stint in the D-League. Whatever happens, I just hope they don't give up on him. And I can't wait to find out what will become of Gist?

+1

I'll add that he actually might be a better fit than RJ in the starting lineup because of his shooting talents. RJ + Manu + Hill might just end up being our 2nd unit given their success last year. Throw Splitter into that lineup and that 2nd unit would really shine.

Just some forward thinking here.. this could potentially be the starting lineup:

Parker
Neal (or Anderson)
Simmons
Dice (Blair anyone?)
Duncan

If Neal (or Anderson) & Simmons can both reproduce their past successes (45-50% from long range) that would really open things up for Parker & Duncan. I also think Blair has a shot at supplanting Dice in the starting lineup.

Man In Black
09-30-2010, 12:43 AM
Back in 04-05 I saw this about Simmons:

69. Bobby Simmons
Heart and soul of a Clippers team that could have won 45-50 games had they stayed healthy and/or Elgin Baylor realized you could make trades during the season. When they screw up and allow him to sign with a contender this summer – where he'll thrive, by the way, because he's a good guy and the ultimate fifth banana – I'm declaring war on Elgin, Donald Sterling and the entire Clippers franchise. I'm going to be like Stallone in "First Blood," when he has the knife to Brian Dennehy's throat: "You want a war? I'll give you a war you wouldn't believe."
Here is Ginobili:

25. Manu Ginobili
If I could be any NBA player, I would probably choose Manu if it wasn't for the whole "There's a 90 percent chance my parents would get kidnapped" thing. Instead, I'll choose Mike Miller for the fifth straight year. I just want his jump shot for a week.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/050408&num=0

I hope that the ultimate 5th banana thing pans out.

EricB
09-30-2010, 01:26 AM

So Udrih started the year as the backup just for the balls of it and for no reason was shuffled back to the third spot?

Right.

ace3g
09-30-2010, 08:36 AM
Spurs' small forward search starts on defense

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/spurs_small_forward_search_starts_on_defense_10405 4874.html

lefty
09-30-2010, 09:04 AM
If he shoots as well as his numbers suggest, and is adequate on defense, and has a modicum of athleticism. It wouldn't shock me a bit to see him take the starting 3 job, moving RJ to the bench where his skills would come in handy.

duncan228
09-30-2010, 12:25 PM
The Spurs’ wing situation, training camp predictions (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/)
by Timothy Varner
48 Minutes of Hell

The Wing Situation. Sounds ominous, doesn’t it?

Earlier this month, R.C. Buford listed (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2010/09/21/the-spurs-unfinished-offseason/) upgraded shooting (http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/penny_100928.html) as a primary objective for the Spurs this season. In the same breath, Buford said the Spurs wanted to find a “wing defender.”

Keep reading → (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2010/09/30/the-spurs-wing-situation-training-camp/#more-9845)

SenorSpur
09-30-2010, 12:54 PM
The Spurs’ wing situation, training camp predictions (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/)
by Timothy Varner
48 Minutes of Hell

The Wing Situation. Sounds ominous, doesn’t it?

Earlier this month, R.C. Buford listed (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2010/09/21/the-spurs-unfinished-offseason/) upgraded shooting (http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/penny_100928.html) as a primary objective for the Spurs this season. In the same breath, Buford said the Spurs wanted to find a “wing defender.”

Keep reading → (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2010/09/30/the-spurs-wing-situation-training-camp/#more-9845)

Hey 228,
Always love the timely updates and information. Just can't get enough. Keep it coming! :toast

ace3g
09-30-2010, 01:02 PM
I don't really agree with Kirk Penney making it on the finals roster at one of the SF spots; he is what 6'5? I know he can shoot, but still (just never liked the idea of any of the SF being 6'5; no more Bogans/Udoka types)

benefactor
09-30-2010, 01:11 PM
Finding Bruce Bowen’s replacement is a seemingly impossible task.

Correction...it IS an impossible task. This obsession with a Bowen replacement has to stop and emphasis on better team defense has to start. It is a necessity if the Spurs are planning on being contenders like they say they want to be.

It again makes me wonder if the defensive system was ever that good in the first place. Spurs defense seems to be merely a byproduct of having the arguably the best perimeter and post defenders of their era.

dunkman
09-30-2010, 02:28 PM
Correction...it IS an impossible task. This obsession with a Bowen replacement has to stop and emphasis on better team defense has to start. It is a necessity if the Spurs are planning on being contenders like they say they want to be.

It again makes me wonder if the defensive system was ever that good in the first place. Spurs defense seems to be merely a byproduct of having the arguably the best perimeter and post defenders of their era.

The problem is that the Spurs want to find a Bowen's replacement for the cheap or with a second round pick. Finding a new Bowen in that way isn't going to happen.

But there are many good wing defensive players. Various are also all-nba players, those go for max contracts only. The best defensive specialists in their prime command around MLE long term contracts.

Bruno
09-30-2010, 03:04 PM
I'm surprised to see McDonald putting Gist in the fight for the SF spot while he has played PF his whole career. Either he has some inside info on that or he is clueless.

It's nice to see Pop saying that defense will be the main factor to pick the backup SF spot. Gee has a good shot at making the team over Simmons.

rjv
09-30-2010, 03:45 PM
I'm surprised to see McDonald putting Gist in the fight for the SF spot while he has played PF his whole career. Either he has some inside info on that or he is clueless.

It's nice to see Pop saying that defense will be the main factor to pick the backup SF spot. Gee has a good shot at making the team over Simmons.

in turkey there were times when gist played the 3 spot but my understanding was that he never really fared all that well in the position, especially on the defensive end.

Obstructed_View
09-30-2010, 03:47 PM
So Udrih started the year as the backup just for the balls of it and for no reason was shuffled back to the third spot?

Right.

For no reason? There was a reason, but it's not because he was ineffective, it's because he didn't go the entire season without a turnover.

The Truth #6
09-30-2010, 03:49 PM
Gist is probably the longest shot to make the team. Yet, his defense could be the most useful. Obviously not like Bowen, who could guard 1-3, and sometimes 4. But Gist is the only one of the three, and possibly the team, with the potential to guard the very mobile power forwards of the league - I don't see Duncan or Bonner being able to...Dice possibly for stretches in the playoffs...and it's too early to say about Splitter, but my from what I've seen he looks more like a low block player. And definitely not Blair. So, if defense is the goal I think Gist has the most upside. His basketball smarts will be the biggest issue. I don't think he needs to score but he needs to be able to understand the system and where to be and how to set a solid pick and those sort of things.

Simmons looks more like a shooter than a defender at this point. However, I've read that he has a decent low post game, which may not be what Pop is looking for, but outside of Tim and Splitter, I don't see many players on this team with ANY post up game. So who knows...that could be possibly useful.

I'd like to see Gee get a chance on this team, but I don't see him getting minutes ahead of Anderson, even with the injury. Honestly, I just don't see Gee getting much of a shot this year, but hopefully that's not the case. His potential for scoring will probably seduce Pop at some point.

Anyway, all these options are better than Bogans in my opinion so it's a good conversation to be having.

Obstructed_View
09-30-2010, 03:53 PM
The problem is that the Spurs want to find a Bowen's replacement for the cheap or with a second round pick. Finding a new Bowen in that way isn't going to happen.

But there are many good wing defensive players. Various are also all-nba players, those go for max contracts only. The best defensive specialists in their prime command around MLE long term contracts.

The problem is the Spurs want to find a Bowen replacement with only one guy, while simultaneously stockpiling guys who specialize in the lowest percentage shots that result in the highest percentage of long rebounds.