PDA

View Full Version : Jaren Jackson considered to coach Saint John Mill Rats (PBL)

lefty
09-27-2010, 11:20 AM
Basketball: Two former NBA players among those being considered to lead Saint John franchise

Randy O'Donnell
Telegraph-Journal

http://telegraphjournal.canadaeast.com/sports/article/images/empty.gif

SAINT JOHN - Three candidates with a wealth of National Basketball Association experience are among those in the running for the Saint John Mill Rats head coaching position.
Enlarge Photo (http://telegraphjournal.canadaeast.com/gallery/1228975,587282)

http://telegraphjournal.canadaeast.com/sports/article/images/icon_enlarge.gif (http://telegraphjournal.canadaeast.com/gallery/1228975,587282)

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=587282&size=265x0 (http://telegraphjournal.canadaeast.com/gallery/1228975,587282)
Associated Press

Jaren Jackson, seen during his playing days with San Antonio, is among the prospective coaches of the Saint John Mill Rats.

JJ owns Shaq :D

Former NBA guard Jaren Jackson, who played for the 1999 world champion San Antonio Spurs, and Cliff Levingston, who won rings with the Chicago Bulls in 1991 and 1992, are among those being considered for the position.
Ron Ekker, who has assistant coaching experience with the Dallas Mavericks, Cleveland Cavaliers and Orlando Magic, is also in the running.
The Premier Basketball League club has conducted phone interviews with the three coaching prospects, Mill Rats general manager Ian McCarthy said Tuesday. Jackson and possibly other candidates are expected to meet with Mill Rats staff this weekend at the New Hampshire Pro Exposure Basketball Combine in Derry, N.H.
"In Jaren's case, he's doing his due diligence to see if this position is the right fit for him as well," said McCarthy, who expects to have a coach in place by mid-October, at the latest.
Jackson has coaching experience as an assistant with his alma mater Georgetown University, where he was an assistant in 2003-04, and as a head coach with the NBA Development League's Fort Wayne Mad Ants as well as the Continental Basketball Association's Pittsburgh Xplosion and Gary Steelheads, where he won CBA coach of the year honours in 2006.
He also coached the Philadelphia Fusion of the American Basketball Association in 2004-05.
Since retiring from the NBA in 1995, Levingston has coached the Fort Wayne Fury of the CBA, served as an assistant and head coach with the Dodge City Legend of the United States Basketball League, coached the CBA's Gary Steelheads and the St. Louis Flight of the ABA as well as the Oklahoma Cavalry in the CBA.
Levingston was named USBL coach of the year in 2002.
Ekker has more than 30 years college and pro basketball coaching experience, including 10 seasons with Dallas, five with the West Texas A&M and four years at the University of Saint Louis.
The Mill Rats, who moved to Saint John this year from Manchester, N.H., begin, exhibition play in December, with the 20-game Premier Basketball League regular season beginning in January.

Libri
09-27-2010, 12:23 PM
I wasn't expecting to find a youtube mix on Jaren Jackson. What I remember most about him is having those two big games against the Lakers in the 1999 playoffs.

hmoecIDbXP0

ohmwrecker
09-27-2010, 12:28 PM
I often complain about the horrible hip hop that usually accompanies these youtube comp. videos, but that was just . . . odd.

timvp
09-27-2010, 12:30 PM
I wasn't expecting to find a youtube mix on Jaren Jackson. What I remember most about him is having those two big games against the Lakers in the 1999 playoffs.

hmoecIDbXP0

Nice find. That block of Rodney Rogers at :22 is still one of the best blocks I've ever seen.

spurs_fan_in_exile
09-27-2010, 12:40 PM
The Eliminator!

buttsR4rebounding
09-27-2010, 01:14 PM
I remember when the Spurs worked out at Full Life Fitness Center on Callahan. The year after he signed his big contract--3 years for 9million I believe, several of the Spurs were there with some of the Spurs staff working out. I was on the machine next to him and the trainer for the Spurs told him to do 3 sets of 12 reps at a certain weight. Then the trainer went over to another Spur. He did about 4 reps and watched the trainer the rest of the time to see if he was looking at him. Then he went over and told him that he had done everything. I started watching him then and he did the same thing on another 4 machines and called it a day.

Ice009
09-27-2010, 01:26 PM
I remember when the Spurs worked out at Full Life Fitness Center on Callahan. The year after he signed his big contract--3 years for 9million I believe, several of the Spurs were there with some of the Spurs staff working out. I was on the machine next to him and the trainer for the Spurs told him to do 3 sets of 12 reps at a certain weight. Then the trainer went over to another Spur. He did about 4 reps and watched the trainer the rest of the time to see if he was looking at him. Then he went over and told him that he had done everything. I started watching him then and he did the same thing on another 4 machines and called it a day.

lol that story has pissed me off. Someone said he got fat and lazy after he got that contract and you may have just proved it. I also recall someone saying that Jaren Jackson was a big reason the Spurs didn't want to give Stephen Jackson a big contract. They didn't want to reward someone for one good season like they did Jaren and have it bite them in the ass.

lefty
09-27-2010, 01:38 PM
lol that story has pissed me off. Someone said he got fat and lazy after he got that contract and you may have just proved it. I also recall someone saying that Jaren Jackson was a big reason the Spurs didn't want to give Stephen Jackson a big contract. They didn't want to reward someone for one good season like they did Jaren and have it bite them in the ass.
Aw fuck

I want Sjax back :depressed

xellos88330
09-27-2010, 05:13 PM
The Journeyman. Great games vs. the Lakers. I loved it.

slick'81
09-27-2010, 11:06 PM
noone could head shake like jj

vanishing_dude
09-28-2010, 04:33 AM
Bowen on a HEAT jersey...nice!!

lefty
09-28-2010, 08:44 AM
Bowen on a HEAT jersey...nice!!
San Antonio Heat !!!!

TDMVPDPOY
09-28-2010, 09:17 AM
lol how much does school coaches get paid?

when they can just get there P.E teacher to fill the job

GSH
09-28-2010, 02:16 PM

Yep. If they hire him as a coach, I hope they don't give him more than a 1-year contract. After the Spurs gave him that contract, his play went to hell in a handbasket, and his minutes got cut. And I've never seen anyone else so carefree about being benched. I always thought he must have taken a lot of that money in cash, and stuffed the bills directly into his uniform shorts. It's hard to explain how anyone's ass could grow that quickly any other way.