PDA

View Full Version : 'Til the Wheels Fall Off

timvp
09-27-2010, 12:18 PM
Tim Duncan at media day (http://www.nba.com/spurs/features/2010_spurs_media_day_audio.html) on how many years he has left.

Nice. :smokin

ohmwrecker
09-27-2010, 12:20 PM
Fuck, yeah!

SpursTillTheEnd
09-27-2010, 12:20 PM

slick'81
09-27-2010, 12:23 PM
basketball is back fuckers!!!

benefactor
09-27-2010, 12:23 PM
Second year...from the mouth of Duncan himself. :tu

EricB
09-27-2010, 12:24 PM
Tim Duncan at media day (http://www.nba.com/spurs/features/2010_spurs_media_day_audio.html) on how many years he has left.

and the team will ride him till the wheels can no longer been seen on the horizon after they fell off.

DPG21920
09-27-2010, 12:29 PM
Was this in jest? Because TP said Tim was doneeee

lurker23
09-27-2010, 12:31 PM
Good to hear. :tu Of course, the knees are part of the wheels, and who knows how many years those have left.

ohmwrecker
09-27-2010, 12:33 PM
good to hear. :tu of course, the knees are part of the wheels, and who knows how many years those have left.

kareem abdul jabbar!

Dex
09-27-2010, 12:37 PM
Wow. Almost hate to hang too much hope on those five little words, but that seems like the first indication Tim has ever given that the Duncan era might not end in 2012.

boutons_deux
09-27-2010, 12:40 PM
Was this in jest? Because TP said Tim was doneeee

Pro athletes are usually done long before they know it, and even longer before they admit it.

boutons_deux
09-27-2010, 12:40 PM
Tim's gotta put food on his family

Libri
09-27-2010, 12:41 PM
I can see him signing for another year or two after 2012.

ohmwrecker
09-27-2010, 12:43 PM
Is it too late to change "Suit Up!" to "'Til The Wheels Fall Off!"?

ohmwrecker
09-27-2010, 12:43 PM

Kinky . . .

J_Paco
09-27-2010, 12:50 PM
Pro athletes are usually done long before they know it, and even longer before they admit it.

Yeah, cause 18/10/3/1.5 equals done in your ass backwards world.

I can't see Timmy pulling an Olujawon, O'Neal and Ewing and playing into his near-40's. I think he'll know when it's time to hang'em up and I'll weep like a baby, too.

Kamnik
09-27-2010, 01:42 PM
Hell yes!!!

duncan228
09-27-2010, 01:52 PM
:) Made my day.

I've been convinced this was his last contract and hoping I was wrong. Hope he stays healthy and can play as long as he wants.

ohmwrecker
09-27-2010, 01:55 PM
:) Made my day.

I've been convinced this was his last contract and hoping I was wrong. Hope he stays healthy and can play as long as he wants.

She speaks!

DesignatedT
09-27-2010, 01:56 PM
Kinky . . .

:lol

cantthinkofanything
09-27-2010, 01:58 PM
Kinky . . .

Uh...that would be well beyond kinky.

Bender
09-27-2010, 02:04 PM
timvp sighting!

Mister Sinister
09-27-2010, 02:09 PM
Uh...that would be well beyond kinky.
You have experience in these matters, I'm guessing?

Mark in Austin
09-27-2010, 02:10 PM

ducks? is that you?

Spurs Brazil
09-27-2010, 03:02 PM
Great.

sa_butta
09-27-2010, 03:09 PM
Glad to hear, but I hope they don't fall off this season.

thispego
09-27-2010, 04:06 PM
and the team will ride him till the wheels can no longer been seen on the horizon after they fell off.

What?

z0sa
09-27-2010, 04:09 PM
I have always felt Tim would play longer. How long, his decision, but he's way too good still to even think about hanging the laces up.

TIMMYD!
09-27-2010, 04:17 PM
Hell yeah! Maybe he'll get a one year contract after this one is done?

crc21209
09-27-2010, 04:24 PM
Hell yeah Timmy! :tu...Hopefully he can somehow get 1 or 2 more rings....

Silver&Black
09-27-2010, 05:30 PM
kareem abdul jabbar!

:toast Great comparisson. It worked out pretty good for the Lakers didn't it???

phxspurfan
09-27-2010, 05:37 PM
Good to hear that from him. But for him to decide to sign another contract after this one, I think he will want to see that he's not the cornerstone of the team (aka we will have to draft, sign or develop another go-to player). If the Spurs try to sign him for 2 more years as The Man, the FO might as well save the money and rebuild. Besides Steve Nash I don't see many examples of 36-38 year old MVPs.

AlleyOopNazi
09-27-2010, 05:42 PM
So if he had 4 wheels when he came in the league, does that mean hes on 2 now or 3? and what the fuck does that mean!!

ChuckD
09-27-2010, 07:26 PM

I wondered if the Spurs had info on this when they re-signed Manu for 3 years.

tmtcsc
09-28-2010, 09:47 AM
Sadly, the wheels are flat now. Not much left.

ajh18
09-28-2010, 09:57 AM

Those 18 pts, 10 rebs and 1.5 blks really do suck. Hell, I'd take 15/8/1. That'd still make him better than the vast majority of forwards in the league. He's also putting those numbers up efficiently and in relatively few minutes. Statements like "he's done" and "not much left" are unbelivably ignorant.

cantthinkofanything
09-28-2010, 10:24 AM
:toast Great comparisson. It worked out pretty good for the Lakers didn't it???

yeah. all we need is Magic, Worthy, Scott, and Cooper.

Brazil
09-28-2010, 10:38 AM
Niiiiiccceeee.

Manu extension, I'm sure TP will sign a reasonable deal with the spurs, Tim in da house to nurse splitter and Dejuan, some young guys coming strong hopefully in the near future.

Maybe Spurs won't be anymore a top team but it will leave a good basis to build on.

tmtcsc
09-28-2010, 10:55 AM
Those 18 pts, 10 rebs and 1.5 blks really do suck. Hell, I'd take 15/8/1. That'd still make him better than the vast majority of forwards in the league. He's also putting those numbers up efficiently and in relatively few minutes. Statements like "he's done" and "not much left" are unbelivably ignorant.

Whoah, whoah..before you start saying what's ignorant or not, you need to take your blinders off and face reality.

Tim is on the wrong side of 30, has worn down and deteriorated through the season and has been marginalized in the playoffs by certain teams. He no longer commands double teams like he once used to.

His lateral movement is bad and he can longer defend like he used to either. He is slow on his decision making and prone to mental deficiencies at the FT line.

That being said, he is still one of the best PF's in the league even with diminished physical attributes. He's still an effective rebounder and he's only gotten smarter as a player. But when the legs don't move like you want them to, there's not much you can do about it.

Because of his weak knees, there isn't much left to Tim's career as we have grown accustomed to. He will have to change his game just like the Admiral did. Dave knew when to say goodbye and when Tim does the same its going to be a sad day. He's the best to ever play his position. But that day is coming soon.

2 seasons at best for him in my opinion. In fact, we would be doing him a favor if we didn't make him the center point of our offense anymore. We need to change that now.

TDMVPDPOY
09-28-2010, 11:10 AM
tim duncan should focus playin defense and clearing the rebounds like drob did, hand over the keys to splitter and blair...

Fabbs
09-28-2010, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by Silver&Black
Great comparisson. It worked out pretty good for the Lakers didn't it???

yeah. all we need is Magic, Worthy, Scott, and Cooper.
:lol
and Pat Riles, Bill Sharman/Jerry West, Dick Bavetta and Joey Crawford and co.

SenorSpur
09-28-2010, 11:51 AM
As much as TD has done for this franchise, and as much as he's carried this team to heights none of us never dreamed possible, I'm hopeful that his new teammates (current and future), along with the FO, can now help carry him to perhaps another title. Much in the same way it happened for D-Rob, as his career wound down, I'm hopeful the same can be had for Duncan. If anyone is deserving of it - TD certainly is.

polandprzem
09-28-2010, 11:58 AM
Those wheels can fall off next year

Do not get overexcited

ajh18
09-28-2010, 02:06 PM
Whoah, whoah..before you start saying what's ignorant or not, you need to take your blinders off and face reality.

Tim is on the wrong side of 30, has worn down and deteriorated through the season and has been marginalized in the playoffs by certain teams. He no longer commands double teams like he once used to.

His lateral movement is bad and he can longer defend like he used to either. He is slow on his decision making and prone to mental deficiencies at the FT line.

That being said, he is still one of the best PF's in the league even with diminished physical attributes. He's still an effective rebounder and he's only gotten smarter as a player. But when the legs don't move like you want them to, there's not much you can do about it.

Because of his weak knees, there isn't much left to Tim's career as we have grown accustomed to. He will have to change his game just like the Admiral did. Dave knew when to say goodbye and when Tim does the same its going to be a sad day. He's the best to ever play his position. But that day is coming soon.

2 seasons at best for him in my opinion. In fact, we would be doing him a favor if we didn't make him the center point of our offense anymore. We need to change that now.

No blinders. I agree with all these things. Tim doesn't have the mobility he once did, nor does he have the ability to dominate the opponents on a nightly basis.

What you said though was that "the wheels are flat now. Not much left." To me, saying he may not be in "greatest power forward of all time" form right now is a LONG way from saying "the wheels are flat, there isnt much left." Hell, you yourself just said "he is still one of the best PF's in the league even with diminished physical attributes."

My statement about "ignorance" wasn't in regards to the fact that Tim has diminished physically. It was in regards to your statement that there wasn't much left, because anyone who can still be a top performer at their position has more than "flat wheels."

Obstructed_View
09-28-2010, 03:58 PM

You're a moron. Check his numbers. The only thing that's appreciably declined is his minutes.

anonoftheinternets
09-28-2010, 04:05 PM
He no longer commands double teams like he once used to.

:rolleyes and how does that mean his tires are flat?

SplitterHook
09-28-2010, 11:37 PM
'Til the Wheels Fall Off
...Hope you ready for the next episode!

Fabbs
09-29-2010, 03:41 PM
As much as TD has done for this franchise, and as much as he's carried this team to heights none of us never dreamed possible, I'm hopeful that his new teammates (current and future), along with the FO, can now help carry him to perhaps another title. Much in the same way it happened for D-Rob, as his career wound down, I'm hopeful the same can be had for Duncan. If anyone is deserving of it - TD certainly is.
Well put.
Duncs is still in the uppers for Centers because
a) He was so good before that even dropped off he is still very good
b) Centerless NBA means very few good centers.

That having been said, Duncs had his chances straight up vs Amare last year and simply got outplayed too many times. The old Dunc could take on anybody one on one, and that includes the Snaq Oneal of 2000 and 2001.

But yes SS, it's so darn overdue to get him the help he needs and let him do as you posted instead of being left to be the entire frontline for large chunks of a game.

BillMc
09-29-2010, 04:11 PM
Let the wheels fall off. He can go from an 18-wheeler to a unicycle for all I care, but just keep playing Tim, you're the best ever. When he's gone, he'll be gone.

Obstructed_View
09-29-2010, 04:28 PM
Well put.
Duncs is still in the uppers for Centers because
a) He was so good before that even dropped off he is still very good
b) Centerless NBA means very few good centers.

That having been said, Duncs had his chances straight up vs Amare last year and simply got outplayed too many times. The old Dunc could take on anybody one on one, and that includes the Snaq Oneal of 2000 and 2001.

But yes SS, it's so darn overdue to get him the help he needs and let him do as you posted instead of being left to be the entire frontline for large chunks of a game.

"Duncs"? You are such a fucking idiot.

EricB
09-29-2010, 04:36 PM
You're a moron. Check his numbers. The only thing that's appreciably declined is his minutes.

but but but he couldn't guard small ball 4's!!!!

J_Paco
09-29-2010, 04:43 PM
but but but he couldn't guard small ball 4's!!!!

There have been a lot moronic takes by posters around here lately.

Dex
09-29-2010, 04:53 PM
"To the wheels fall off.":lmao

http://go2.wordpress.com/?id=725X1342&site=nolamotion.wordpress.com&url=http%3A%2F%2Fnolamotion.files.wordpress.com%2F 2009%2F07%2Fdunce-cap.jpg&sref=http%3A%2F%2Fnolamotion.wordpress.com%2F2009% 2F07%2F22%2Fstate-of-louisiana-continues-to-fail-to-support-music%2Fdunce-cap%2F

tmtcsc
09-29-2010, 04:56 PM

Right...the only thing that has declined is his minutes. Not his lift, not his defense and not his offensive game.

If his minutes weren't kept in check he'd be finished by the All-Star break. If you think the barometer for a player's effectiveness is just his "numbers" then you're the fucking moron. The offense still runs through Tim but it shouldn't.

Opposing teams don't need to double or collapse back on Tim because he doesn't have the speed down low to make his moves. He gets his shot blocked much more often now.

This isn't a bash Tim thread. I'm not saying he's done. I'm saying he's on the decline and two years ought to do it. He doesn't have hops (never really did) and the physical ability he once had has diminished. Thankfully he's a smart player and still has GREAT post moves.

He can't consistently be counted on to lead the team offensively. Some nights he's a stud and looks like he's back in his twenties. Other nights he looks absolutely awful.

The guy brings it every night but his effectiveness has fallen and it gets worse as the season wears on. It's age and its old, tired legs. The wheels are flat.

Obstructed_View
09-29-2010, 08:25 PM
Right...the only thing that has declined is his minutes. Not his lift, not his defense and not his offensive game.

We'll focus on the above part since it pretty much renders the rest of your post moot. You said yourself that he never had much vertical, and the rest of his numbers are consistent with what they've always been, which means defense and offensive game. Big difference being a 4 with David Robinson or Rasho Nesterovic next to you compared to being a 5 having Matt Bonner or Michael Finley next to you. The team has gotten away from defense and has focused on guys that can't penetrate or defend but can shoot a lot of three pointers. Tim's the same peg he's been for a long time, but the hole around him has changed.

ohmwrecker
09-29-2010, 08:45 PM
Holy shit! Lakerfan is scared! This is hilarious.

tmtcsc
09-29-2010, 10:34 PM
We'll focus on the above part since it pretty much renders the rest of your post moot. You said yourself that he never had much vertical, and the rest of his numbers are consistent with what they've always been, which means defense and offensive game. Big difference being a 4 with David Robinson or Rasho Nesterovic next to you compared to being a 5 having Matt Bonner or Michael Finley next to you. The team has gotten away from defense and has focused on guys that can't penetrate or defend but can shoot a lot of three pointers. Tim's the same peg he's been for a long time, but the hole around him has changed.

That first sentence was sarcasm..which renders the rest of my post valid.

MI21
09-29-2010, 10:40 PM
"Interesting move for LeBron to go down there..."

Watch out Timmy, you might make LeBron's mental list :lol

J_Paco
09-29-2010, 10:45 PM

We all agree that his physical tools have diminished, he's 34-years-old for goodness sake. Yet, he's still able to play at a high level even with those diminished abilities and two bum knees.

He can still be effective, but he has needed more help in the interior. I'd be more than happy if Duncan's production decreases, hopefully somewhere near where Garnett has produced since arriving in Boston, if that means that Splitter and Blair are doing their thing.

The_Worlds_finest
09-29-2010, 11:34 PM
27 days,bring this on!

tmtcsc
09-30-2010, 09:54 AM
We all agree that his physical tools have diminished, he's 34-years-old for goodness sake. Yet, he's still able to play at a high level even with those diminished abilities and two bum knees.

He can still be effective, but he has needed more help in the interior. I'd be more than happy if Duncan's production decreases, hopefully somewhere near where Garnett has produced since arriving in Boston, if that means that Splitter and Blair are doing their thing.

Agreed 100%.

Giuseppe
09-30-2010, 10:26 AM
Glad to hear, but I hope they don't fall off this season.

Or, inadvertently run over a skunk ever again, eh?

lefty
09-30-2010, 10:36 AM
I like Duncan's courage, but....

We are done

:madrun

DeadlyDynasty
09-30-2010, 11:34 AM
good news...i hope LA gets to face off with him in the playoffs a couple more times before he rides into the sunset

G-Dawgg
09-30-2010, 11:57 AM
Even if we don't get another championship, as long as we eliminate the Lakers from the playoffs once or twice more before Duncan retires, I'll be content

DeadlyDynasty
09-30-2010, 12:03 PM
Even if we don't get another championship, as long as we eliminate the Lakers from the playoffs once or twice more before Duncan retires, I'll be content
if Kobe or Pau goes down w/ an injury, your boys just might have a chance:toast

Obstructed_View
09-30-2010, 03:45 PM

I understood that it was sarcasm, and dismantled the argument accordingly, but you already know that.

tmtcsc
09-30-2010, 04:39 PM
I understood that it was sarcasm, and dismantled the argument accordingly, but you already know that.

** More Sarcasm coming **

Hallelujah !! Tim Duncan's the same player he's always been - the numbers prove it. Championship. What the hell was I talking about. Now if we can just get everyone else up to Tim's level, we'll be fine.

Damn, we never should have gotten rid of Oberto, Rasho or Elson. If it wasn't for them, Tim would have never led us to those championships.

** End of Sarcasm

My original post said that his tires were flat and that he didn't have much left. I then followed it by saying 2 years should do it. Tires flat = Inconsistent play due to : no lift, poor lateral movement, poor defense and diminishing offensive threat.

In the twilight of his career, he needs additional help to be more effective. We agree on that. I don't think he can carry this team by being the offensive focal point anymore.

No more Inside-Out. Our 3 point shooters are getting hands in their faces because no one is afraid of Tim anymore. He can be neutralized because he's lost a step.

On the bright side, when Tim's feeling good and the knees aren't bothering him, he can still produce like a stud. But those games are few and far between now. That's what's sad. He still has his skills but his legs aren't cooperating.

Obstructed_View
09-30-2010, 05:13 PM
** More Sarcasm coming **

Hallelujah !! Tim Duncan's the same player he's always been - the numbers prove it. Championship. What the hell was I talking about. Now if we can just get everyone else up to Tim's level, we'll be fine.

Damn, we never should have gotten rid of Oberto, Rasho or Elson. If it wasn't for them, Tim would have never led us to those championships.

** End of Sarcasm

My original post said that his tires were flat and that he didn't have much left. I then followed it by saying 2 years should do it. Tires flat = Inconsistent play due to : no lift, poor lateral movement, poor defense and diminishing offensive threat.

In the twilight of his career, he needs additional help to be more effective. We agree on that. I don't think he can carry this team by being the offensive focal point anymore.

No more Inside-Out. Our 3 point shooters are getting hands in their faces because no one is afraid of Tim anymore. He can be neutralized because he's lost a step.

On the bright side, when Tim's feeling good and the knees aren't bothering him, he can still produce like a stud. But those games are few and far between now. That's what's sad. He still has his skills but his legs aren't cooperating.

You're getting closer to being correct all the time. Is he less consistent than he was? Sure. Can he just dominate a game at will like he used to? Probably not. None of that is remotely what you implied with your first post. He's certainly not physically where he was a decade ago, but his game hasn't relied on athletecism in a long time. And with this team, Duncan's not the problem by any stretch of the imagination. Put last year's Duncan on any one of the 99, 03, 05 or 07 team and the Spurs likely still win. Maybe the '03 team doesn't get that far because they were so lazy, but that's it. That's a far cry from being on his last legs or being washed up. Again, put his numbers up against any big in the league and they hold their own.

The inside out game relied on more than Duncan, which is why people have been complaining about 4 down for ten fucking years. Three point shooters are getting hands in their faces because they can't slash to the basket like Mario Elie or Stephen Jackson did. The offense used to be centered around punishing defenses with high-percentage shots, and now it's centered around launching threes. Duncan's been pretty good at passing out of double teams or drawing fouls from them for a long time, so there's very little profit from doubling him, particularly when his teammates can only make you pay when there's nobody defending them. Most opponents have a size advantage over the Spurs, so the mentality is to stay at home, keep Timmy in front of you, keep your bigs out of foul trouble.

For the first time, the Spurs can be beaten by straight up defense because they're so easy to score on at the other end of the floor. Again, something that Duncan has little control over. His defense is much less effective when he's the only shot blocker on the floor.

Obstructed_View
09-30-2010, 05:14 PM
BTW, it's really nice to be able to argue about basketball for a change. Hallelujah to the coming season. It's been the longest off-season in memory.

rAm
09-30-2010, 05:37 PM
The wheels just fell off

ChuckD
09-30-2010, 07:28 PM
if Kobe or Pau goes down w/ an injury, your boys just might have a chance:toast

Laker fan has his head buried as far in the sand as Spur fan did 2 years ago. Forget that your shaman/witch doctor is retiring after this season. Kobe, in a year or so, will also no longer demand the double team. He'll still be able to score in bunches, but his pts/FGA will decline and the shooters that usually kill us will be covered.

DeadlyDynasty
09-30-2010, 07:44 PM
Laker fan has his head buried as far in the sand as Spur fan did 2 years ago. Forget that your shaman/witch doctor is retiring after this season. Kobe, in a year or so, will also no longer demand the double team. He'll still be able to score in bunches, but his pts/FGA will decline and the shooters that usually kill us will be covered.

I have no delusions of grandeur...LA is getting older but we have 2 (maybe 3) great runs left in them. And comparing the Spurs situation of a couple years ago to ours now doesn't exactly make sense. LA is CLEARLY the best team in the conference, and there have been no viable WC threats to LA since 2008. Boston and/or Miami (or injuries) are the only thing standing in LA's way this year...next year maybe different but we'll see

mingus
09-30-2010, 09:56 PM
LA is not that above the competition. that's ridiculous. this is a team that got taken to seven games by OKC, a team that the Spurs got the better of throughout the whole season. and the Spurs split with LA last year and beat them in Staples w/o Parker. Spurs had holes that they filled over the off-season that will give them an even better chance to beat the Lakers. it's also a team that got taken to 7 by Houston a year before that.

LA has competition with OKC, Houston, and SA if they can all stay healthy.

Purch
06-24-2014, 07:51 AM
Bump

Brazil
06-24-2014, 08:33 AM
Niiiiiccceeee.

Manu extension, I'm sure TP will sign a reasonable deal with the spurs check, Tim in da house to nurse splitter check and Dejuan meh, some young guys coming strong hopefully in the near future. check

:hat

Purch
06-24-2014, 09:19 AM
Qsal_3b-dG8

gameFACE
06-24-2014, 09:57 AM
Good bump! Wheels are all polished up. Tires re-treaded with a new spare. Let's hit the fucking road.

Purch
07-04-2014, 09:46 PM
Them wheels

Trainwreck2100
07-04-2014, 09:58 PM
BTW, it's really nice to be able to argue about basketball for a change. Hallelujah to the coming season. It's been the longest off-season in memory.

lol after this post we had
'11 which gave us 8
'12 the backdoor sweep
'13 6

Knoxxx
07-04-2014, 10:06 PM
Timmy was epic in the Finals dominating inside at will! The best quote he had was when he said he was just "playing a role", got to love that guy!

Purch
07-04-2014, 10:13 PM
Timmy was epic in the Finals dominating inside at will! The best quote he had was when he said he was just "playing a role", got to love that guy!
I think he had a quote in that interview with Steve Smith, that I enjoyed .
QljIqx9xPbo

Smith: In the 1997 draft selected the number one overall pick.What would you say to that 21 year old Tim Duncan today?

Duncan: It's gonna be a fun ride

Smith: Fun ride?

Duncan: Its gonna be a real fun ride

TampaDude
07-04-2014, 10:17 PM
'11 which gave us 8
'12 the backdoor sweep
'13 6

'14 5.

exstatic
07-04-2014, 10:21 PM
LOL after this, we had 3 WCFs, and two Finals.

benefactor
07-04-2014, 10:27 PM
OP likes it long and thick

Purch
07-04-2014, 11:15 PM
The wheels just fell off
O.o

tmtcsc
07-04-2014, 11:18 PM
Tim Duncan.....this fucking guy. Unbelievable. What a difference 4 years makes. Goes back to the gym, changes the way he runs, improves his FT %, welcomes changes to the offense where he is no longer the "4 Down" focus and takes less money per year to bring in players to make the team work. I friggin love the dude. My apologies Tim, you proved me and my 2 year window wrong. Foot firmly inserted in mouth.

FuzzyLumpkins
07-04-2014, 11:18 PM
good news...i hope LA gets to face off with him in the playoffs a couple more times before he rides into the sunset

el oh fucking el.

gilmor2002
07-04-2014, 11:55 PM
The best power forward to ever... EVER play the game

100%duncan
07-05-2014, 01:23 AM
DD with the bads :lmao LA :lmao

Shastafarian
07-05-2014, 06:33 AM

http://www.atakuj.com/media/uploads/2013/04/duncan-howard2.jpg
http://cdn.tss.uproxx.com/TSS/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/LA-Forum-Front-Row-Empty-e1367246059320.png

lol

ginobilized
07-05-2014, 12:20 PM
Tim Duncan.....this fucking guy. Unbelievable. What a difference 4 years makes. Goes back to the gym, changes the way he runs, improves his FT %, welcomes changes to the offense where he is no longer the "4 Down" focus and takes less money per year to bring in players to make the team work. I friggin love the dude. My apologies Tim, you proved me and my 2 year window wrong. Foot firmly inserted in mouth.

You were doing a reverse jinx the whole time, right?
Right!

tmtcsc
07-05-2014, 12:24 PM
You were doing a reverse jinx the whole time, right?
Right!

Yeah, yeah...that's the ticket. Seriously though, I thought the offense HAD to change but Tim changing his game and body to suit the team and his career was a surprise. Tim's issues at the FT seemed to be mental to me and just something that I came to live with. But he didn't settle and kept working on his game. His outside shot is still a bit flat but who cares? He's been fantastic.

He put that dreadful Memphis series to rest and in the rear view mirror. We've owned that team ever since.

100%duncan
07-05-2014, 12:29 PM
Yeah, yeah...that's the ticket. Seriously though, I thought the offense HAD to change but Tim changing his game and body to suit the team and his career was a surprise. Tim's issues at the FT seemed to be mental to me and just something that I came to live with. But he didn't settle and kept working on his game. His outside shot is still a bit flat but who cares? He's been fantastic.

He put that dreadful Memphis series to rest and in the rear view mirror. We've owned that team ever since.

The offense did change.

tmtcsc
07-05-2014, 12:52 PM
The offense did change.

Yes it did. That part of the equation did not surprise me. There was no choice if the team was going to be contenders again. Timmy's changes surprised me.

100%duncan
07-05-2014, 12:53 PM
Yes it did. That part of the equation did not surprise me. There was no choice if the team was going to be contenders again. Timmy's changes surprised me.

Yep. His and Pop's new system basically. These two greats knew they wouldn't win in this era of bball if they stuck with their old ways.

superbigtime
07-05-2014, 01:16 PM
The awesome thing about Tim's greatness is that he is not just some old timer hanging on and chipping in here and there these last few years. He continues to build a legacy rather than clinging to past accomplishments. Tim is an all time great and we are so fortunate as fans.

Purch
07-05-2014, 07:41 PM
I uploaded this game to my channel nearly four years ago

fwWqsbANx6g

Obstructed_View
07-08-2014, 08:00 AM
'11 which gave us 8
'12 the backdoor sweep
'13 6
There was a lot of exciting basketball in there. Nice that it was redeemed by a championship.

Purch
07-10-2014, 09:55 PM
You guys should be more like Jazz fans.. We maintain our irrational confidence in every situation

lefty
02-21-2015, 12:19 AM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/welp.gif

Thomas82
07-16-2016, 04:37 PM
Well, TD definitely kept his promise. I'll always appreciate him for it.

Obi Juan Kenobi
07-16-2016, 04:47 PM
Sad to say that yes the wheels did indeed fall off before our very eyes...that OKC series was painful to see the way Tim was trying to do the things that he was so accustomed to doing but was not able to anymore...it is so sad to see him go but it was definitely time...

phxspurfan
07-16-2016, 04:52 PM
Good to hear that from him. But for him to decide to sign another contract after this one, I think he will want to see that he's not the cornerstone of the team (aka we will have to draft, sign or develop another go-to player). If the Spurs try to sign him for 2 more years as The Man, the FO might as well save the money and rebuild. Besides Steve Nash I don't see many examples of 36-38 year old MVPs.

Good thing we got Leonard

baseline bum
07-16-2016, 10:00 PM
It was a hell of a six years. :bobo

dylankerouac
07-16-2016, 10:20 PM
Agreed. People call him The Big Fundamental, but I refer to him as The Foundation. Thanks for the last 19 years and I won't be mad if you make one more run big fella - hopefully with the hometown heroes, but it's really the dealers' choice.

Sean Cagney
07-17-2016, 03:01 AM
THE wheels finally came off :(

Robz4000
07-17-2016, 03:13 AM
Thanks for playing til the wheels fell off, Tim. You'll never read this, but I really appreciate all of it.

DJR210
07-17-2016, 07:53 AM
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/3e/16/3c/3e163c2978958f2cca3d8e6a31abfe98.jpg

spursistan
07-17-2016, 09:16 AM
TD had undoubtedly a Top 3 All Time tail-end-of-career stretch between age 35-40..

only Kareem/Malone were as good or slightly better, but in terms of being so valuable to winning for their teams (Malone or Stockton didn't eventually) , i would rank Tim ahead of both.it was really only late in 2014-2015 season when Kawhi finally surpassed Duncan as the overall best player on this Spurs team (Tim retook that title briefly in the Clippers series for his final vintage performance) and it's no surprise the 67-win Spurs became more of a fodder the moment TD fell off completely..

gambit1990
03-05-2017, 03:41 PM
i'm just curious, i assume the spurs would be ineligible to sign duncan this summer because they're still paying him?

Thomas82
03-05-2017, 07:29 PM
TD had undoubtedly a Top 3 All Time tail-end-of-career stretch between age 35-40..

only Kareem/Malone were as good or slightly better, but in terms of being so valuable to winning for their teams (Malone or Stockton didn't eventually) , i would rank Tim ahead of both.it was really only late in 2014-2015 season when Kawhi finally surpassed Duncan as the overall best player on this Spurs team (Tim retook that title briefly in the Clippers series for his final vintage performance) and it's no surprise the 67-win Spurs became more of a fodder the moment TD fell off completely..

+1