PDA

View Full Version : Tony Parker wants to stay with Spurs

Spurs Brazil
09-27-2010, 03:00 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5622519

SAN ANTONIO -- Tony Parker says he doesn't want this season with the San Antonio Spurs to be his last.

The star point guard said Monday that decision hinges on whether the Spurs want to keep him. Parker is entering the final year of his contract, and his uncertain future loomed over his return for training camp.

The 28-year-old has spent his entire nine-year NBA career with the Spurs, winning three championships alongside Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili.

Parker believes this is the last chance for this group to win another title with Duncan approaching the end of his career.

Ed Helicopter Jones
09-27-2010, 03:02 PM
Sign Parker to an extension now.

elbamba
09-27-2010, 03:03 PM
I hope he stays as well. However, I don't see the need to keep him if he is going to keep playing for France during the summer. I think the Spurs might even consider trading Manu after this year if he is going to play during the summer. This will be the last chance, we need to rebuild and get whatever value we can.

ohmwrecker
09-27-2010, 03:05 PM
I hope he stays as well. However, I don't see the need to keep him if he is going to keep playing for France during the summer. I think the Spurs might even consider trading Manu after this year if he is going to play during the summer. This will be the last chance, we need to rebuild and get whatever value we can.

What if Blair or Hill wanted to play for team USA?

sa_butta
09-27-2010, 03:07 PM
Of course he is going to say that now, but things could be different by seasons end. I doubt anything gets done during the season.

cantthinkofanything
09-27-2010, 03:08 PM

I'd worry if Blair played for USA just not knowing what to expect from his knees on a long term basis. Hill is young enough that I don't think it'd be a problem right now. But in either situation, they woudln't be logging the minutes that Tony and Manu do for thier countries.

lefty
09-27-2010, 03:09 PM
Yeah right.........

ohmwrecker
09-27-2010, 03:21 PM
I'd worry if Blair played for USA just not knowing what to expect from his knees on a long term basis. Hill is young enough that I don't think it'd be a problem right now. But in either situation, they woudln't be logging the minutes that Tony and Manu do for thier countries.

Or, Duncan. It's a hypothetical question. My contention is that Manu and Tony are judged more harshly by American fans because they are not American players. I don't understand why Americans can't relate to a foreign player having the same desire to play for their country as American players do. It's ethnocentric bullshit.

lurker23
09-27-2010, 03:22 PM
The main quote that caught my interest today was this one:

"I hope Spurs fans know I want to stay here... I'm going to take Manu's example from last year."

I wouldn't be surprised if his negotiations match Manu's quite closely. There's probably already been talk between Tony and the Spurs (if not already an offer on the table), which is probably for less than the maximum Tony can get. They'll keep negotiating throughout the year, and the way negotiations go will probably largely be based on Tony's performance. If, like Manu, he really turns it on and plays some of the best basketball of his career, the offer will go up.

However, it's hard to say whether the Spurs are willing to pay the max extension for Tony, as that's much more of an investment than Manu's was. If the Spurs put a max extension on the table, I have a strong feeling that Tony will take it. If they don't (which is probably the most likely scenario, given labor uncertainties), Tony will have to weigh that contract against the uncertainties of contract numbers under the new CBA.

cantthinkofanything
09-27-2010, 03:32 PM
Or, Duncan. It's a hypothetical question. My contention is that Manu and Tony are judged more harshly by American fans because they are not American players. I don't understand why Americans can't relate to a foreign player having the same desire to play for their country as American players do. It's ethnocentric bullshit.

Yeah, I don't know. I think the fact that both Manu and Tony have been injured recently have a lot to do with it. I had no problem with Manu playing in the past up until the point where it seemed his injuries were not healing.

slick'81
09-27-2010, 03:47 PM
i still find it hard to see parker in another jersey i still have faith in pop and rc to keep tony in the fold

lefty
09-27-2010, 04:01 PM
i still find it hard to see parker in another jersey i still have faith in pop and rc to keep tony in the fold
You have already watched TP playing for France, right?

Now picture him wearing the Knicks road jersey, or the Clippers alternate

See? it's easy :stirpot:

Bruno
09-27-2010, 04:02 PM
Parker will sign an extension with Spurs. It's the best solution for both sides.

NRHector
09-27-2010, 04:02 PM
Parker is already negotiating his contract

lefty
09-27-2010, 04:03 PM
Good good

I hope he signs with us ASAP, I'm tired of all the TP threads

Man In Black
09-27-2010, 04:05 PM
INCONCEIVABLE I told you all that his best option is to stay home, regardless of what NY Media is trying to create.
1-b7RmmMJeo

Juanobili
09-27-2010, 04:37 PM
oh wow, this was mentioned on the ESPN ticker... havent seen Spurs news down there in a while haha

xellos88330
09-27-2010, 05:09 PM
oh wow, this was mentioned on the ESPN ticker... havent seen Spurs news down there in a while haha

I saw that Tim lost weight on there not too long ago.

Or was it the NBA ticker...

benefactor
09-27-2010, 05:39 PM
If they don't (which is probably the most likely scenario, given labor uncertainties), Tony will have to weigh that contract against the uncertainties of contract numbers under the new CBA.
This.

I originally thought that Parker would walk but with the new CBA looming he might think it's in his best interest to go ahead and find some middle ground with the Spurs on an extension. It will depend on how much money actually means to him, as he has already acknowledged that this is probably the last year that Duncan can carry a heavy load. In saying that it can be assumed that he knows that this is the last year the Spurs will be a contender.

In short, he will need to decide if chasing more rings is worth leaving all he has come to know in SA and potentially leaving money on the table with a new contract under a the new CBA.

duncan228
09-27-2010, 05:45 PM
NBA PM: Parker Extension Possible (http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=17436)
By: Yannis Koutroupis
Hoopsworld

No Distractions In S.A.: Controversy and distractions have always had a short lifespan with the San Antonio Spurs. They handle all their issues quickly and internally. So while a circus was going on at the Denver Nuggets media day surrounding the status All-Star forward Carmelo Anthony, the Spurs killed any story that there may have been with point guard Tony Parker, whose contract expires at the end of this season like Anthony's.

"Of course I want to stay in San Antonio," Parker stated clearly. "I've said that plenty of times but nobody wants to listen. The media just wants to create stories. I hope Spurs fans know that I want to stay here. I can't control what people say.

"(My approach) is very simple. I just want to focus on this season. We have a good opportunity with this team. I can't control the media or anyone else. It's crazy. I can't control what my wife said or didn't say. I had a great conversation with Coach Popovich and I'm ready to go, I'm ready to play."

Parker also made it very clear that he is not set on testing out the free agent market. He's open to an extension, if the Spurs put one on the table.

"We'll see," said Parker about an extension. "For now I just want to focus on the team. If the Spurs want to do so something I'd be willing to listen obviously. I'm going to use Manu's example, he went through it last year. I definitely get the feeling that they want me long-term."

There may not be a better person for Parker to seek advice from on this subject than Manu. Manu has been through the free agency process on a couple of different occasions and understands it completely. As a friend first and teammate second, though, Ginobili isn't planning on campaigning for the Spurs in season.

"I don't see myself doing that," Ginobili explained. "Tony is a true guy. He knows how important this franchise has been in his life. But you weigh a lot of stuff when the time comes. Of course if I have to make a call in July to convince him I'll do so happily. When you get to that point you put so many things on the table, it's hard for some person to convince you otherwise.

"He's been here nine years, though, and he wants to stay here and do good. He worked all summer long to be in a good situation. The best thing to do is to forget it and be who you are. Tony is a great player. He's young, healthy, in good shape and knows the system. He's one of the premier point guards in the league. Nothing wrong can happen. He just has to relax and play the game. He'll be fine. I don't have any doubt (that he wants to be a Spur). He has his home here and a lot of affection. We didn't talk about it at all but I think he wants to stay."

The Spurs inked Ginobili to a three-year $38.9 million extension last April to prevent him from hitting the open market, where they very well could have lost him to another team considering the dollars that were thrown around this summer. He was too important to the franchise to risk losing, as is Parker.

With Tim Duncan's retirement on the horizon the Spurs are prepping for a new era. Contending without him is going to be awfully tough; without Parker also it would be virtually impossible. They'd have to completely rebuild in that scenario, which is something they'd like to avoid. The Spurs understand Parker's importance to the team and will reward him accordingly. They want him and he wants to stay, it's just a matter of getting the numbers right. It may take some time, but two reasonable parties typically find a way to make things work.

TD 21
09-27-2010, 06:17 PM
The main quote that caught my interest today was this one:

"I hope Spurs fans know I want to stay here... I'm going to take Manu's example from last year."

I wouldn't be surprised if his negotiations match Manu's quite closely. There's probably already been talk between Tony and the Spurs (if not already an offer on the table), which is probably for less than the maximum Tony can get. They'll keep negotiating throughout the year, and the way negotiations go will probably largely be based on Tony's performance. If, like Manu, he really turns it on and plays some of the best basketball of his career, the offer will go up.

However, it's hard to say whether the Spurs are willing to pay the max extension for Tony, as that's much more of an investment than Manu's was. If the Spurs put a max extension on the table, I have a strong feeling that Tony will take it. If they don't (which is probably the most likely scenario, given labor uncertainties), Tony will have to weigh that contract against the uncertainties of contract numbers under the new CBA.

:tu

I get the sense that, so long as he's truly committed to staying (and, if we're to take him at his word, he is) and he looks closer to how he did two seasons ago as opposed to last season, that they'll find a way to make it work financially and I believe they've conveyed that to him, along with the fact that, as Pop said, he'll be the starter. It makes sense, so as to hopefully put his mind at ease, at least somewhat.

GSH
09-27-2010, 06:36 PM

I've said all along that if someone wanted to play for their NT once or twice, it makes sense. But not every summer. And not if they are already injured. The human body needs some time to rest and recuperate. More so as the player gets older.

If Hill got a chance to play for Team USA, it wouldn't be that big of a deal. Blair is a different story. Spurs management said up front that they would be guarding his playing time, to keep from wearing his knees out. If he was foolish enough to play summer ball, I would scream just as much as I have about Manu and Tony at times. And if Hill played more than a couple of summers in a row, same story.

I know that destroys the image of the arrogant American. It's not about USA above everyone else. It's about not being stupid, and about honoring their commitment to the team that pays the bills.

(Oh, and BTW - you can't talk about what Americans do and call it ethnocentric. "American" is not an ethnicity. Or are you suggesting that only one ethnic group in America objects to guys playing summer ball every year? And if you are - isn't that some ethnocentric bullshit?)

ChuckD
09-27-2010, 06:54 PM
Of course he is going to say that now, but things could be different by seasons end. I doubt anything gets done during the season.

Then it won't get done. The doors to all NBA facilities get locked the minute the playoffs are over, and no players can sign anything until a new CBA gets signed. That will be a much lower contract for Tony, so it's in his interest to get something done. It could be like Manu last year where they came down to the wire on free agency, but I think it will get done before the lockout.

ohmwrecker
09-27-2010, 07:05 PM
I've said all along that if someone wanted to play for their NT once or twice, it makes sense. But not every summer. And not if they are already injured. The human body needs some time to rest and recuperate. More so as the player gets older.

If Hill got a chance to play for Team USA, it wouldn't be that big of a deal. Blair is a different story. Spurs management said up front that they would be guarding his playing time, to keep from wearing his knees out. If he was foolish enough to play summer ball, I would scream just as much as I have about Manu and Tony at times. And if Hill played more than a couple of summers in a row, same story.
I know that destroys the image of the arrogant American. It's not about USA above everyone else. It's about not being stupid, and about honoring their commitment to the team that pays the bills.

Not really . . . Like I said before, it's a hypothetical question. I just used Blair and Hill as an example. When Duncan played on US NT in 2003 he had already suffered a couple of substantial injuries that should have been cause for alarm, including the knee injury that kept him out of the 2000 Olympics (and stopped the Spurs from repeating as NBA champions).
The point is, nobody complained when Tim Duncan played for the US team.

(Oh, and BTW - you can't talk about what Americans do and call it ethnocentric. "American" is not an ethnicity. Or are you suggesting that only one ethnic group in America objects to guys playing summer ball every year? And if you are - isn't that some ethnocentric bullshit?)

You need to look up the definition of ethnocentric because it refers to a specific culture as much as it refers to ethnicity. It depends on the reference. In this case I was making reference to Americans superior attitude as it relates to other countries and their citizens sense of national pride not being as important. If I were using an specific example of two cultures defined by race, then ethnicity would be relevant. Race has nothing to do with my argument. I am talking about culture. I guess I could have used Americentrism or American Exceptionalism, but I didn't count on anyone being so daft.

Spurs Brazil
09-27-2010, 07:40 PM
"I feel like I'm a Spur," Parker said.

"I hope Spurs fans know I want to stay here," he added. "I said that plenty of times. Nobody's listening to me. They (the media) don't care. They just want to create stories."

elbamba
09-27-2010, 07:41 PM

I can live with them playing for the NT for the next couple of years if they get asked. However, when you put in the milage of 3 championship runs, you need to take the summer to rest. When you have played 6-7 years in the league, it is time to let the young guys take over.

Plus, neither Hill nor Blair will ever be the focus of team USA. They will be role players at best. Tony and Manu are hands down the best players on their teams. I contend that Manu is better and more important than Scola for Argentina.

The Spurs inked Manu to a huge contract that will tie up a lot of their money. What a crappy way to repay the organization by playing for your NT and then missing the next season.

Spurs took a major hit last year because Tony was out for so long. He never seemed to be able to play that well and it had everything to do with playing for the NT.

ajh18
09-27-2010, 07:50 PM

The problem is, I don't think that playing national team ball can be considered "not honoring their committment to the team that pays the bills." Are they doing something that their contract says they can't? Nope. Does it affect their performance? Sure. It does when at my job when I stay out late drinking on a Thursday night too. But until they explicitly state that I can't do that, I wan't the freedom to make that choice and not be considered to be "betraying my employer."

If my employer has a problem with that choice, they can fire me. I guess an NBA team could always release the player. But if they aren't willing to do that, and have no clause forbidding summer play, I have a problem with people saying that choosing to do that is a "betrayal of the team paying the bills."

phyzik
09-27-2010, 11:30 PM
The problem is, I don't think that playing national team ball can be considered "not honoring their committment to the team that pays the bills." Are they doing something that their contract says they can't? Nope. Does it affect their performance? Sure. It does when at my job when I stay out late drinking on a Thursday night too. But until they explicitly state that I can't do that, I wan't the freedom to make that choice and not be considered to be "betraying my employer."

If my employer has a problem with that choice, they can fire me. I guess an NBA team could always release the player. But if they aren't willing to do that, and have no clause forbidding summer play, I have a problem with people saying that choosing to do that is a "betrayal of the team paying the bills."

First of all.... Bad anology about drinking and your company.... A better analogy would be if your company was paying you millions of dollars to make their product better, then you go and help out another company using ideas that would have otherwise benifited your main employer, you bet your ass your employer would be asking questions... in fact in the business world, you could probably be sued for doing something like that. Most companies have stipulations in their employee contracts that state as much.

Just because the NBA allows it doesnt make it right.

And for the record, I had no problem with Tony and Manu playing for their respective NT's.... the problem I have is when it obviously effects their performance for the team thats paying the bills. At that point, they need to take a step back. I would feel the exact same way for any player going to play for the USA....

In fact, if it was up to me, I would rather the Olympic commission stop allowing professionally paid athletes and make it so NT's need to use college players.

JustinJDW
09-27-2010, 11:40 PM
I'm telling you guys, once Timmy and Manu are both retired, Splitter will be the perfect #2 Option to Tony Parker. That Pick-N-Roll can be deadly. And we would still have Hill, Blair and Anderson.

Think about it. Our future doesn't actually look that bad. Especially if Parker resigns. :toast

ajh18
09-28-2010, 12:11 AM
First of all.... Bad anology about drinking and your company.... A better analogy would be if your company was paying you millions of dollars to make their product better, then you go and help out another company using ideas that would have otherwise benifited your main employer, you bet your ass your employer would be asking questions... in fact in the business world, you could probably be sued for doing something like that. Most companies have stipulations in their employee contracts that state as much.

And for the record, I had no problem with Tony and Manu playing for their respective NT's.... the problem I have is when it obviously effects their performance for the team thats paying the bills. At that point, they need to take a step back. I would feel the exact same way for any player going to play for the USA....

In fact, if it was up to me, I would rather the Olympic commission stop allowing professionally paid athletes and make it so NT's need to use college players.

You better believe I'm going to have a problem with a company telling me I'm not free to do whatever I choose thats not in violation of my contract with them. Sorry, if they have a problem with it, they can do one of two things: explicitly state that I can't in my formal agreement with them, or release me if they feel that my work is suffering too extensively.

The Spurs cant structure such a contract with their players (which I believe should be allowed), but if they arent willing to release the player... well, the player is free to do as they wish. In my mind, there's nothing "wrong" about exercising that freedom.

ElNono
09-28-2010, 12:34 AM

This is silly. Your argument that because the company pays you millions, they basically own you. And that's simply incorrect on many levels. I'm sure the company would also like not to pay taxes on those millions, or not have to pay for benefits, or don't have to comply with whatever union agreements might be involved. Sometimes there are rules that go beyond what a company or individual wants, and they need to be complied with. It's part of doing business.

This whole NT thing is really not that complicated. The NBA actually benefits from players playing these tournaments, otherwise they would have not signed an agreement with FIBA. The CBA is also clear what are the rules concerning NT play. If an owner is not happy, they can bring it up with the league with regards to the FIBA agreement or in the context of CBA negotiations, and if they're still unsatisfied, they can either trade the players involved in such activity or simply sell the team and move to another business with a different set of rules.

diego
09-28-2010, 01:09 AM
curiously enough, it works the other way around: the ones who play for their NT are among the above average set of players. has any player EVER been released because their NT performances made them a worse player?

timtonymanurich
09-28-2010, 01:12 AM

I believe the term you're looking for is
"CONFLICT OF INTEREST".

ezau
09-28-2010, 02:19 AM
Did Duncan really look bad these days? I mean, Parker really thinks that TD is going to fall off the cliff this season? I dunno, but I think Parker is making TD an excuse to not sign with the team next season.

Considering that he was the one injured all season long last year, I wouldn't want to talk about TD's health issues if I were him.

venitian navigator
09-28-2010, 03:10 AM
I wonder how many years and money per year would be considered fair from both parties (Spurs and Tony).
At the moment, imho, there are several reasons for lower his value, and give him a contract for a decent amount, but no way for a maximum contract.

We have to consider that :

1) Tony played one of his worst seasons last season and, let's be clear, he lost his spot not only 'cause of his injuries, but also 'cause the team was playing better without him...in that phisical condotion. One thing is clear : if he's not in good phisical shape, if he's too tired, he better limit his playing time;

2) he showed clearly enough that there are a lot of doubts he can be "the man" around who you can structure a franchise : not enough weapons in his arsenal. At the moment, he can be considered a "second weapon", at best, considering his playing in recent years; not even that, if we have to consider the numbers of last season...;

3) he already stated that he absolutely wants to play for his NT in the future years...and considering he's aging (and fastly, if he don't shedule any rest in summer) he's going to get back soon, in future years, in the some condition of last year;

4) the new CBA is coming next year, so probably he's not going to get nearly the some amount with the some rules of this year...better for him to have a new contract as soon as possible;

5) there aren't a lot of teams starving for him at the moment...and his market value, actually, given also his publiìc declarations (will to play for NT) is an all time low. Maybe only N.Y. but we have to consider NY has nothing to give to Spurs in sign and trade, they already have a point guard that can be more than comparable with the TP of last year (Felton), a young one that could have a very good season (T. Douglas) and, talking abount future ones, one that is better than Tony in a future perspective (Paul).

6) another factor that could be decisive in oower the TP price, is the assurance that he'll start the season like the starting point guard.

All thesed things considered, anybody has an idea about a far amount of years and money on what both parties could agree ?

MaNuMaNiAc
09-28-2010, 03:17 AM
"I feel like I'm a Spur," Parker said.

"I hope Spurs fans know I want to stay here," he added. "I said that plenty of times. Nobody's listening to me. They (the media) don't care. They just want to create stories."

the fact Tony has to even clarify those two things shows you how fucked up today's Spurs fan base is. Unbe-fucking-lievable!

Imagine having to clarify "you feel like a Spur" after having been one of the most important parts of a 3 championship team... just ridiculous.

fyatuk
09-28-2010, 06:54 AM
It's their choice, and they have the right to play for their NT. No problem with that.

But like others have said, Parker and Manu have played so much time, that they are often injured or just plain too tired to play at the level they should be. This is a personal failing on their part, and it should affect the value of their contracts. A person just can't play indefinitely with no rest like that. The right choice for their careers would be to take a summer off every few years (play 2 take 1 off).

You certainly can't fault them playing the next 2 summers since it's Olympic qualifiers, than Olympics. If you have any semblance of National Pride, you should want to play in those.

No way Parker should get a max contract while insisting on playing for his National Team every year, though. A tired Parker is not worth a max contract.

DrSteffo
09-28-2010, 11:28 AM
the fact Tony has to even clarify those two things shows you how fucked up today's Spurs fan base is. Unbe-fucking-lievable!

Imagine having to clarify "you feel like a Spur" after having been one of the most important parts of a 3 championship team... just ridiculous.

This.

lefty
09-28-2010, 12:01 PM

Or he is in denial

How many TP is not leaving statements have we had this summer

Its too suspect

Brazil
09-28-2010, 12:56 PM
I wonder how many years and money per year would be considered fair from both parties (Spurs and Tony).
At the moment, imho, there are several reasons for lower his value, and give him a contract for a decent amount, but no way for a maximum contract.

We have to consider that :

1) Tony played one of his worst seasons last season and, let's be clear, he lost his spot not only 'cause of his injuries, but also 'cause the team was playing better without him...in that phisical condotion. One thing is clear : if he's not in good phisical shape, if he's too tired, he better limit his playing time;

lol at was playing better without him before his hand injury the team was playing very well with him.
In last year PO run TP was still the most consistent player of the team even with a broken hand.

2) he showed clearly enough that there are a lot of doubts he can be "the man" around who you can structure a franchise : not enough weapons in his arsenal. At the moment, he can be considered a "second weapon", at best, considering his playing in recent years; not even that, if we have to consider the numbers of last season...;

so ? whats your point ?

3) he already stated that he absolutely wants to play for his NT in the future years...and considering he's aging (and fastly, if he don't shedule any rest in summer) he's going to get back soon, in future years, in the some condition of last year;

this kind of doubts are the same for all the players reaching their prime. but yeah i agree health could be a concern

4) the new CBA is coming next year, so probably he's not going to get nearly the some amount with the some rules of this year...better for him to have a new contract as soon as possible;

I can see a similar scenario than for Manu

5) there aren't a lot of teams starving for him at the moment...and his market value, actually, given also his publiìc declarations (will to play for NT) is an all time low. Maybe only N.Y. but we have to consider NY has nothing to give to Spurs in sign and trade, they already have a point guard that can be more than comparable with the TP of last year (Felton), a young one that could have a very good season (T. Douglas) and, talking abount future ones, one that is better than Tony in a future perspective (Paul).

lol seeing franchise throwing huge money for so so players, I'm pretty sure TP will find a team capable to give him a juicy contract

6) another factor that could be decisive in oower the TP price, is the assurance that he'll start the season like the starting point guard.

lol at having doubts on the fact that TP is going to be the starting point guard:lol

All thesed things considered, anybody has an idea about a far amount of years and money on what both parties could agree ?

IMO it could be something around 5 years 75-80 M

Chomag
09-28-2010, 01:00 PM

Tony makes millions for playing basketball, and gets to fuck EVa. No, I don't feel that very sorry for him.

lefty
09-28-2010, 01:06 PM
Tony makes millions for playing basketball, and gets to fuck EVa. No, I don't feel that very sorry for him.
Eva is ugly

So I do feel sorry for him

NRHector
09-28-2010, 01:11 PM
I'm telling you guys, once Timmy and Manu are both retired, Splitter will be the perfect #2 Option to Tony Parker. That Pick-N-Roll can be deadly. And we would still have Hill, Blair and Anderson.

Think about it. Our future doesn't actually look that bad. Especially if Parker resigns. :toastSplitter hasn't done anything in the NBA is very premature to glorify him

duncan228
09-28-2010, 01:13 PM
Parker gearing up to make big impression on Spurs (http://www.nba.com/2010/news/features/fran_blinebury/09/28/spurs/index.html)
Fran Blinebury
NBA.com

Manu Ginobili turned to walk away just as Tony Parker approached the throng of microphones and notepads gathered at Media Day, but offered some advice before leaving.

"Just tell them," Ginobili said, "that you never want to leave Manu and that will be the end of it."

If only.

As the Spurs bounce the first few basketballs of training camp, Parker takes the first dribbles down the road toward potential free agency and the end of his time with the only NBA franchise that he has known.

Or does he?

"Of course, of course, I've said plenty of times I want to stay here," Parker said. "But nobody's listening to me. They don't care. They just want to create stories. It sells better."

Of course, of course, the Spurs and Parker have seen this scenario before. Just a year ago at this time, it was Ginobili who was entering the final year of his contract with the blogosphere roiling in discontent between Texas and Argentina.

How would the beloved Manu be able to concentrate on the task at hand and do his job while knowing that the organization for which he had spilled blood and collected bruises and championship trophies was holding the door open by being so coldly calculating?

Or just plain smart.

"At the beginning it was [difficult] -- October, November, December," Ginobili recalled. "When I started getting healthy, feeling good about myself, then I was able to forget about everything else and just play. But when I was rusty and did not play for six months and I wasn't confident, it really played in my head."

By the end of the season, when Ginobili had gotten his surgically repaired body and his game back in full working order, when he averaged 22 points a game after the All-Star break and led the Spurs to 17 wins in their final 24 games, everything worked out.

Ginobili signed a three-year, $39 million contract to remain in San Antonio in April, before the start of the playoffs, and both sides were quite content. Ginobili knew that the Spurs still regarded him as one of the family, but the Spurs also knew they were not simply caving into sentiment for a favorite uncle and had a player who could still be quite productive.

So here comes Round 2 with the Frenchman Parker with all the potential for more international intrigue and incident.

While Parker spent much of the summer in the gym working on his game and also in the kitchen with a chef and a dietician to shed weight and tone up his body -- "no more French pastry" -- there was also time for thorny comments and remarks to pop up on both sides of the Atlantic.

In June, he told the French newspaper L'Equipe: "It would be ... maybe a good challenge for me to go elsewhere. If I leave, I can make another career -- eight, nine years in a different club."

Then there was Amar'e Stoudemire telling the New York media that Parker was "ready to join me" with the Knicks, not to mention the report that had wife Eva Longoria claiming Parker would like to play in New York.

"I can't control you or anybody else in the media," Parker said. "I can't control what they say and it's gonna go crazy inventing stuff that my wife said that she didn't say."

What he can control is his return from the most difficult season of his nine-year NBA career, when he missed 56 games with two ankle sprains, a hip flexor, food poisoning and a broken hand. That it came just a year after his best season -- 22 points and 6.9 assists per game and 50.8 percent shooting -- made it more crippling to the Spurs and gives him something to prove now.

"Definitely, a little bit," Parker said. "It's the most games I missed...in the NBA. That's the part of our business. It's always like that. You miss five games and they forget. They think you retired. It was the same thing with Manu."

It was the exactly the same with Ginobili as the Spurs wanted to be sure they could still get what they would be paying for by watching him play his way back into the game-changer and clutch performer. It's what the smartest management teams -- and Gregg Popovich and R.C. Buford are that -- always do. There is no way of avoiding all mistakes, but you do everything within reason to minimize them.

So if Parker struggles or the team once more struggles through the first half of the season, the options will be on the table. With George Hill entering his third season, getting stronger and more comfortable playing the point, the Spurs could trade the veteran who has been part of three championship runs and get another nice piece to fit into the puzzle.

Parker and Popovich had a private conversation that has left them both satisfied entering camp.

"I understand the business," Parker said. "I own my team in France. So I know how it works. That's why I say with Pop it was a great conversation. I saw what they did with Manu. I have no problem with that and I'll be ready to go. At the end of the day I want to win. It's been a long time since we win -- 2007. Contracts, money, whatever is gonna come. For me, I just want to make sure we have a great season this year."

Parker recently said he thought this was the Spurs' last chance to win a championship with the Big Three of Tim Duncan, Ginobili and him and it was interpreted as another sign that he might want out.

"I know people think I'm saying that because of my contract," he said with a grin. "But I really feel that is because of Timmy. It's tough. The NBA is a long season and Timmy's like 34, going to be 35. That's why I feel like it's our last chance to really win a championship, because when Timmy is gone it's gonna be really a test. Timmy's looking great, looking fresher."

Tony's looking fit, looking challenged and looking to show a future employer in San Antonio or elsewhere what he still can do.

And that means the Spurs are looking like they know exactly what they're doing again.

lefty
09-28-2010, 01:15 PM
Manu Ginobili turned to walk away just as Tony Parker approached the throng of microphones and notepads gathered at Media Day, but offered some advice before leaving.

"Just tell them," Ginobili said, "that you never want to leave Manu and that will be the end of it.

Manu :lmao

JR3
09-28-2010, 01:26 PM
I agree with the party that says "of course he is going to say that". My gut says that the spurs and parker have agreed to keep options open until later in the season. They both don't want to act on anything right now. Parker has the right to "change his mind" if the "spurs don't want to move on him early"....

TDMVPDPOY
09-28-2010, 01:32 PM
spurs FO should let the market dictate his worth, is there any team out there with max money available to throw around next season summer?

we could get him back at a bargain

history2b
09-28-2010, 01:40 PM
I posted on another Spurs board last season and the year before that if the Spurs wanted to attempt to remain contenders their best interest would be to trade Parker while his stock was high.

It is possibly at an all time low right now. The end of the 2009 season would have been the "fools gold" high with Manu out with injuries all season leaving Tony to dominate the ball and pad stats with the Spurs looking as bad as they've looked in the Duncan era. Could have fooled some team out there to give up real value for the overrated shot happy no defense euro softie.

But that time has passed.

Even so, I think it would still be in the Spurs best interest to trade him away for something of real value before the deadline this February.

lefty
09-28-2010, 01:48 PM
I posted on another Spurs board last season and the year before that if the Spurs wanted to attempt to remain contenders their best interest would be to trade Parker while his stock was high.

It is possibly at an all time low right now. The end of the 2009 season would have been the "fools gold" high with Manu out with injuries all season leaving Tony to dominate the ball and pad stats with the Spurs looking as bad as they've looked in the Duncan era. Could have fooled some team out there to give up real value for the overrated shot happy no defense euro softie.

But that time has passed.

Even so, I think it would still be in the Spurs best interest to trade him away for something of real value before the deadline this February.
Stephen Jackson !!!!!!

Pauleta14
09-28-2010, 05:31 PM
spurs FO should let the market dictate his worth, is there any team out there with max money available to throw around next season summer?

:nope

With the history/relation TP has with the Spurs, there can't be a deal if one of the part is being "stolen"!
Tony would feel "disrespected"or undervalued...

I think an agreement can be found between a bargain and a max contract.

But more than the money and before even talking about it, the FO wants to see if Tony is still at the allstar level and TP wants to know if the Spurs can still be contenders for the years to come...

slick'81
09-28-2010, 05:50 PM

thats what we thought about rj

GSH
09-29-2010, 12:52 AM
This is silly. Your argument that because the company pays you millions, they basically own you. And that's simply incorrect on many levels.

This whole NT thing is really not that complicated. The NBA actually benefits from players playing these tournaments

Of course the company doesn't own you. Nobody would agree to that, and nobody would want that for anyone else. If you're trying to equate employer expectations to slavery, you're way the fuck off base - for even suggesting it. But when an employee does something that has a negative impact on the employer, the employer isn't prevented from objecting to it. That's not ownership, or anything like it.

How about teachers that put lewd pictures of themselves on their Facebook accounts? (It happens all the time.) They get fired. Football teams don't want their players getting into pickup games in the offseason. Or riding a motorcycle without a helmet. Or snowboarding. The player may have the right to do any of those things, but most have enough respect for the team (and their teammates) not to.

As for your other point? I really don't give a shit if the NBA benefits from Manu playing in a summer tournament, if he comes back wrecked for the next season. I'm a Spurs fan. Just like I don't give a shit if Sasha Vujacic wants to play summer ball every single season - I hate the fucking Lakers. If Manu and Tony had come back healthy and rested every season, you would never have heard a peep out of me, or anyone else.

You know... Tony talks about how the reporters won't listen to him, and print whatever they want to. Well why not? It doesn't violate any contract with the NBA, or with the players. The players don't own the reporters. They have a right to do any damned thing they want to. And that's all that matters... right? Maybe some of us feel like there are some things you shouldn't have to be told.

The two sides in this argument are never going to come together. The funny part is, it's the American fans that seem more open minded. I can understand why Argentine or French fans want to see Manu or Tony play for their NT's. And I understand and respect the fact that those guys want to compete. And I think that most American fans feel the same way. But the international fans? Don't epxect them to see more than one side of the argument. And apparently the international players only consider what their fans back home think.

GSH
09-29-2010, 01:05 AM
You need to look up the definition of ethnocentric because it refers to a specific culture as much as it refers to ethnicity. It depends on the reference.

No... you need to look up the word. It means to be centered on a specific ethnic group or race. Period. Your sociology professor used it, and you didn't quite understand that it has a specific meaning. Now YOU look up the words supercilious and sophomoric. As in, "You sophomoric, supercilious prick." See how that works? When you use the right words, they stick better.

Edit: Oh, and it has nothing to do with feeling superior, you dick-lick. It has to do with being Spurs fans. Don't try to make everything about geopolitics and race relations. You don't know shit about me, my race, or my world view. All I've said is that I don't like it when Manu is hurt, and continues to play for his NT. When he's hurt during the NBA season, Pop makes him sit down and rest. What about that can't you understand?

Shit... probably all of it.

will_spurs
09-29-2010, 07:51 AM

I think you're confusing TP and RJ.

There's no way the Spurs get TP back "at a bargain" if they let him walk. My bet is the same as ever: extension signed before the start of the playoffs, 5 years, around $14-15 million per year.

cantthinkofanything
09-29-2010, 08:39 AM

There's no way the Spurs get TP back "at a bargain" if they let him walk. My bet is the same as ever: extension signed before the start of the playoffs, 5 years, around $14-15 million per year.

This would be more damaging than the RJ resign. I don't see how anyone can say Parker won't lose quickness (his only realy advantage) over the next couple of years.

I've changed my mind about trading him right now though. The best case scenario in my mind is he has a great start to the season, the Spurs sign him to an extension. Parker continues to play at an all star level for the rest of the year. Then we trade him after the season.

gilmor
09-29-2010, 09:11 AM
This would be more damaging than the RJ resign. I don't see how anyone can say Parker won't lose quickness (his only realy advantage) over the next couple of years.

I've changed my mind about trading him right now though. The best case scenario in my mind is he has a great start to the season, the Spurs sign him to an extension. Parker continues to play at an all star level for the rest of the year. Then we trade him after the season.

Next year it doesn't matter any more. Tim would have retired..

Pauleta14
09-29-2010, 09:28 AM

If Tony regain his 08-09 form, this is a bargain, if he doesn't, he's worth less than Manu (13M/year)...

Pauleta14
09-29-2010, 09:29 AM

You know how NBA works, there's always a way to trade him...
He is not Eddy Curry...:lol

Brazil
09-29-2010, 10:28 AM

"Just tell them," Ginobili said, "that you never want to leave Manu and that will be the end of it."

:rollin

we are all lucky to root for the San Antonio Spurs ! I mean this team has great players, good people and they are funny. They obviously enjoy playing together and this is the most important for me. Sometimes we are so spoiled, let's celebrate at least one more year following the magic big 3 !!

ElNono
09-29-2010, 12:05 PM
Of course the company doesn't own you. Nobody would agree to that, and nobody would want that for anyone else. If you're trying to equate employer expectations to slavery, you're way the fuck off base - for even suggesting it.

I'm not trying to equate anything. I'm merely stating that the amount of money you get paid is irrelevant as far as complying with the employment contract. The argument was that because 'they get paid millions' they should do or not do stuff outside of what's stipulated in their contracts. It's baloney.

How about teachers that put lewd pictures of themselves on their Facebook accounts? (It happens all the time.) They get fired. Football teams don't want their players getting into pickup games in the offseason. Or riding a motorcycle without a helmet. Or snowboarding. The player may have the right to do any of those things, but most have enough respect for the team (and their teammates) not to.

If the player did comply with his contract, firing him might be a pretty expensive option for the team. Especially in fully guaranteed contracts. Buying him out, trading him or not extending his contract when it's up are all probably better options, and are all available to owners that have a problem with this activity.

As far as dangerous activities, many contracts include clauses (as permitted) that void contracts or issue fines in case such a thing is proven to have occurred (cases like Radmanovic or Monta Ellis come to mind).

If playing for the NT doesn't go against anything in the contract or any other agreement, then there's no reason for the player not to play if he wants to. Furthermore, your entire 'respect' thing is pretty debatable. Does his NT teammates don't deserve respect too?

As far as respect to the team, well, it's silly. It's a business. The team will have no problems letting you go if it makes them more money. Loyalty is very low in the list of priorities of any sane business. Sure, there are exceptions to the rule, but on a general basis, money is king.

As for your other point? I really don't give a shit if the NBA benefits from Manu playing in a summer tournament, if he comes back wrecked for the next season. I'm a Spurs fan. Just like I don't give a shit if Sasha Vujacic wants to play summer ball every single season - I hate the fucking Lakers. If Manu and Tony had come back healthy and rested every season, you would never have heard a peep out of me, or anyone else.

The NBA doesn't give a shit what you or I think. For them, it's an opportunity to fish in a bigger pond. Ultimately, they can get more money out of it, and being that it's a business, they have a fiduciary duty to do that.

Fabbs
09-29-2010, 12:30 PM
LeBron "I want to stay with the Cavs"
Bosh "I want to stay with the Raptors'
Kobme pre Collusion 2007 "I'll play anywhere but here including Jupiter"

Look of course TP is going to say that, and i'm not insinuating he or any of the other were not sincere. Well except Kobme, sincerity is just not in his fabric.

So lets see what happens the 1st 1/3rd of the season and by that time the plot will be much thicker. Hopefully Bumford and Popped will reverse their trend of doing what is the absolute worst for the Spurs 2007 -on and make the right decision with Parker.

eric365
09-29-2010, 01:14 PM
I don't understand TP's logic. He says :
- This is the last year we have a chance with this core
- I want to win more title
- I want to stay a spur after this year

Only way it is logic is if he wait to see if Hill, Blair, Splitter or a FO's move take the spurs back as a contender

If there is no progress, he moves to another team.

HankChinaski
09-29-2010, 01:21 PM
Man, this topic never gets old with the majority here. I'm just glad there's some preseason basketball starting up in a week and some change. Now that NBA season is slowly coming upon us, I can make some time in here that doesn't involve ridiculous trade rumors or the big Tony is leaving or staying.

I'll start thinking about that after the trade deadline and more importantly how he looks coming out the first few months of the start of the season.

SenorSpur
09-29-2010, 02:10 PM

I get the sense that, so long as he's truly committed to staying (and, if we're to take him at his word, he is) and he looks closer to how he did two seasons ago as opposed to last season, that they'll find a way to make it work financially and I believe they've conveyed that to him, along with the fact that, as Pop said, he'll be the starter. It makes sense, so as to hopefully put his mind at ease, at least somewhat.

Same here. This is great news. Like others, in listening to the alleged comments that transpired back and forth over the summer, I was practically convinced that TP was about as good as gone. Now, I'd be surprised if he left. I definitely think the chances look good that he stays a Spur. He wants it. Pop and RC both want it. I credit Pop for doing what good leaders do - clearing the air and making sure there was clear communication between the two of them. Not allowing any misunderstandings to fester.

I'm certainly not of the belief that having TP around will hinder the development of George Hill. They've shown they can play together, so there should be no issues. In fact, TP's presence will only benefit Hill.

As for his participation on the French NT, I'd rather he limit his participation to every other year. Of course, that's my proposed solution for all players. Think how much of Yao's career would've been spared had he done the same. However if TP wants to continue his annual participation, the Spurs are powerless to stop him - as has the case with Manu. No NBA team can outright prohibit any player from the opportunity to play for their country. I'm not crazy about the idea, but it is their right. Just hope TP is smart about it.

I'm looking forward to seeing TP in a Spurs uniform for years to come.

duncan228
09-30-2010, 12:32 PM
Tony Parker on the Spurs: It's now or never (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/tony-parker-on-the-spurs-its-now-or-never.php)
By Kurt Helin

Tony Parker is in the last year of his contract. He may come back to the Spurs, he may move on, it's going to be about money and years and discussions that will not seriously take place until next summer.

Before then, Parker wants one more ring. He told KTKR in San Antonio (http://www.ticketsports.com/main.html) that the Spurs can do it -- but they have to do it now. This year.

It's a long season and Timmy's [Duncan] like 34, going to be 35. That's why I felt like this is our last chance to win a championship. When Timmy's gone, then it's going to be really tough...

"I think we're more hungry. And I think everybody's rested. I didn't play with the national team. Manu didn't play, [Tim Duncan] didn't play. And I think we have a better bench and I think our young guys, they're pretty good. Tiago Splitter is ready to play. He won everything in Europe and he's coming here a little bit like Manu when he first came, with all the experience. I like the balance of our team. I like our chances, but 10 other teams say the same thing."

The Spurs are going to be good, probably better than last year. But there is Dallas and Houston and Portland and Oklahoma City all right there, too. And ever one of them is still chasing the Lakers.

That's a tough road for the Spurs, no matter how hungry and rested they are.

DeadlyDynasty
09-30-2010, 02:21 PM
I don't understand TP's logic. He says :
- This is the last year we have a chance with this core
- I want to win more title
- I want to stay a spur after this year

Only way it is logic is if he wait to see if Hill, Blair, Splitter or a FO's move take the spurs back as a contender

If there is no progress, he moves to another team.

/thread

duncan228
10-01-2010, 01:23 PM
Keeping Tony Parker not a question, even if his future is (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/)
by Jesse Blanchard
48 Minutes of Hell

The San Antonio Spurs kicked off training camp 2010 in the same fashion as last season–with much optimism, a typical Gregg Popovich dress-down of the media (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2010/09/28/spurs-head-coach-gregg-popovich-media-day-2010/), and endless inquiries concerning the future of their All-Star backcourt.

Never one to tip his hand too much, or engage in needless speculation, San Antonio Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich was willing to divulge two facts with absolute certainty: Tony Parker, barring a repeat of last season’s injuries, will be the starting point guard. And more importantly, he will, as always, be a professional regardless of contract status.

“I don’t have to think about it, I know how he’s going to approach it, he’ll approach it professionally,” Popovich said. “His number one interest will be to make our team as good as he possibly can.”

Still, in the interest of framing a conversation which is certain to linger until February, I’d like to ask this hypothetical: If the Spurs knew they could not resign Tony Parker, but he had the team in contention, should they trade him?

Keep reading → (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2010/10/01/tony-parker-trade-rumors-spurs/#more-9864)

Josepatches_
10-02-2010, 01:11 PM

Think about it. Our future doesn't actually look that bad. Especially if Parker resigns. :toast

Lottery

Obstructed_View
10-02-2010, 01:52 PM
A question for the salary wonks:

Is there any financial gain for Parker to wait until after the labor issue is resolved? Even a non-max extension is likely to pay him more than a max contract afterward, right?

Spurs Brazil
10-23-2010, 09:58 AM
Parker Says Extension’s Talks Will Be Long
By Dimitri - Friday, October 22, 2010 - 11:240 commentI like In an interview with the French radio RMC, Tony Parker said he feels very good physically. He also talked about the Spurs and the extension of his contract.

You have started the preseason with San Antonio. What are your first impressions?
“We have a good team and the goal is always to win the NBA title. The road is still long because, in the West, there are at least twelve teams which can play the playoffs. But our young people have really improved, like DeJuan Blair. The arrival of Tiago Splitter is also a good thing.”

You are at the end of your contract with the Spurs. Where are you with the negotiations?
“I had a discussion with the coach about my contract. This will be long like the contract Ginobili has earned the last year. The Spurs always take their time. Five years ago, I signed the last day of the negotiating period. There is nothing new about it for now. It will take time but that does not disturb me in my goals. I want to be constant as I was in 2009, finding a place at the All Star game again. Money and contracts will come naturally. My first choice is to stay in San Antonio, it is my tenth year here and it’s really rare to see a player with the same club during his entire career. I’d like to continue in San Antonio because I have lived it all here. But more negotiations will last, the more it will be hard with the pressure of the media. This is the game but that does not bother me.”

http://www.hoopsnotes.com/teams/sanantonio/parker-says-extensions-talks-will-be-long/

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-23-2010, 10:17 AM

will_spurs
10-23-2010, 10:39 AM
Lottery

Troll.

boutons_deux
10-23-2010, 11:41 AM
It's a business. Tony will follow the money, leaving no $Ms on the table.

TDMVPDPOY
10-23-2010, 12:10 PM
its simple, a lockout next season will hurt his earnings....

spurs FO have the ace card here where they just sit and hold out or put down a cheap offer see if he bites

manu the best
10-23-2010, 01:19 PM
.. the spurs should sign him right now to avoid any distraction for the season ..

will_spurs
11-02-2010, 04:33 AM
Another epic TP thread, where posters like Phyzik show how much handle on reality they really have.