PDA

View Full Version : Shaq comments about TD

Spurs Brazil
09-27-2010, 03:22 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nba/columns/story?columnist=macmullan_jackie&id=5620537

QUINCY, Mass. -- Shaquille O'Neal lounged in his family room last June observing the Lakers' championship celebration on his flat-screen television, listening to the comments of former teammate Kobe Bryant with a bemused smile.

When asked what his fifth championship meant to him personally, Bryant declared, "I got one more than Shaq. So you can take that to the bank."

"My first thought [after hearing that] was, 'Well, I guess I'm still relevant,'" O'Neal said. "Kobe is still thinking about me, I guess. I'm still someone to be measured against.

"But I don't compete with little guards. I don't compete with little guys who run around dominating the ball, throwing up 30 shots a night -- like D-Wade, Kobe.

"Now if Tim Duncan said it, I'd be pissed. He's the only guy I'm competing with. If Tim Duncan gets five rings, then that gives some writer the chance to say 'Duncan is the best,' and I can't have that."

Oh, Gee!!
09-27-2010, 03:27 PM
shaq is so irrelevant now. it must eat him up inside

lefty
09-27-2010, 03:30 PM
Old news?

Thompson
09-27-2010, 03:47 PM
With Tim's sense of humor, what are the odds if the Spurs win it all this year that he turns to the reporter and says "I've got 5 rings now, 1 more than Shaq. And you can take that to the bank."

mytespurs
09-27-2010, 03:49 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nba/columns/story?columnist=macmullan_jackie&id=5620537

QUINCY, Mass. -- Shaquille O'Neal lounged in his family room last June observing the Lakers' championship celebration on his flat-screen television, listening to the comments of former teammate Kobe Bryant with a bemused smile.

When asked what his fifth championship meant to him personally, Bryant declared, "I got one more than Shaq. So you can take that to the bank."

"My first thought [after hearing that] was, 'Well, I guess I'm still relevant,'" O'Neal said. "Kobe is still thinking about me, I guess. I'm still someone to be measured against.

"But I don't compete with little guards. I don't compete with little guys who run around dominating the ball, throwing up 30 shots a night -- like D-Wade, Kobe.

"Now if Tim Duncan said it, I'd be pissed. He's the only guy I'm competing with. If Tim Duncan gets five rings, then that gives some writer the chance to say 'Duncan is the best,' and I can't have that."

I gather it does bother him in a sense that kobe has maintained or excelled as his skills declined but at least he respectgs timmy in an odd sort of way.

lefty
09-27-2010, 03:50 PM
With Tim's sense of humor, what are the odds if the Spurs win it all this year that he turns to the reporter and says "I've got 5 rings now, 1 more than Shaq. And you can take that to the bank."
Ouch :D

dunkman
09-27-2010, 05:36 PM
I think that Shaq is right in the sense that Kobe's taking credit for championships when Shaq was the Lakers best player. Horry has seven championships but that doesn't make him better than Hakeem, Shaq or Duncan.

Shaq has three championships and one final as best player or his team. The 2006 championship is more due to Wade and in the 2004 finals Kobe was the leader of the Lakers.

Kobe has two championships and two more finals as best player. The 2000, 2001, 2002 championships were much more due to Shaq, many teams had the right players to guard Kobe, but only a few had some kind of answer for Shaq.

Duncan has four championships as best player and already (narrowly) eclipses Shaq.

Kobe has enjoyed well deserved success, with consistency over many years and is one of the best ever. But if we talk about the best player of his generation, he is not. As a matter of fact, since hitting his prime around 2003, Kobe's been denied the MVP's, that would have put him in elite category, by many players (Duncan, Garnett, Nash twice, Dirk, and LeBron twice). And when he tries to take over games at the highest level, in general it backfires for the Lakers.

jdiggy0424
09-27-2010, 06:02 PM
shaq has 4 championships

ThaBigFundamental21
09-27-2010, 06:05 PM
I gather it does bother him in a sense that kobe has maintained or excelled as his skills declined but at least he respectgs timmy in an odd sort of way.

Well what do you expect? Shaq is almost 40, and Kobe is what 31 or 32? If I could pick Shaq or Kobe in their prime, I am taking Shaq. He was 27 and 15 a night, with a few blocks. He would manhandle a lot of other bigs, gobble up rebounds, and score at will, and keep everything outside.

dunkman
09-27-2010, 06:55 PM
shaq has 4 championships

Three as the best player of his team. For 2006, he wasn't the best player of the Heat.

greyforest
09-27-2010, 08:06 PM
shaq is completely egocentric. watch as he turns kobe's comment in to a compliment for himself, then brushes aside the content of the comment with a reason why its not relevant.

1. Shamelessness - Shame is the feeling that lurks beneath all unhealthy narcissism, and the inability to process shame in healthy ways.
2. Magical thinking - Narcissists see themselves as perfect using distortion and illusion known as magical thinking. They also use projection to dump shame onto others.
3. Arrogance - A narcissist who is feeling deflated may reinflate by diminishing, debasing, or degrading somebody else.
4. Envy - A narcissist may secure a sense of superiority in the face of another person's ability by using contempt to minimize the other person.
5. Entitlement - Narcissists hold unreasonable expectations of particularly favorable treatment and automatic compliance because they consider themselves special. Any failure to comply will be considered an attack on their superiority and the perpetrator is considered to be an "awkward" or "difficult" person. Defiance of their will is a narcissistic injury that can trigger narcissistic rage.
6. Exploitation - can take many forms but always involves the exploitation of others without regard for their feelings or interests. Often the other is in a subservient position where resistance would be difficult or even impossible. Sometimes the subservience is not so much real as assumed.
7. Bad Boundaries - narcissists do not recognize that they have boundaries and that others are separate and are not extensions of themselves. Others either exist to meet their needs or may as well not exist at all. Those who provide narcissistic supply to the narcissist will be treated as if they are part of the narcissist and be expected to live up to those expectations. In the mind of a narcissist, there is no boundary between self and other.

duncan228
09-27-2010, 08:48 PM
More of the Shaq quote.

...To do that, they’ll have to get past the Miami Heat and their Big 3 of James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh and then the Lakers with Kobe Bryant, whose five championship rings are one more than Shaq’s collection, a fact Bryant has pointed out.

“I heard it my whole career. I’ve been the measuring stick for excellence,” Shaq said. “So I’m glad to see I’m still relevant. But I would have been more upset, more hurt if Tim Duncan would have made the comment. I don’t compete with guards. They have the ball more than I do. They shoot way more than I do.

“I’m only competing with Tim Duncan. Hopefully, I can get No. 5 before Tim Duncan.”

Star-studded Celtics meshing on and off court (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-celtics-big4)
By Howard Ulman

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-celtics-big4

history2b
09-27-2010, 09:40 PM
The root of Shaq's statements seem pretty clear; he doesn't compare himself to perimeter players as he's given up on being the "best overall player" of his generation and all he cares about now is besting all the other bigs he went up against.

In short, he already knows and accepted the fact that he's not gonna be the dude with the most rings from this gen, so he's going to deflect and save face and make it about something else, like a Duncan vs. Shaq rivalry.

Everyone with a brain knows both Shaq and Kobe were penalized for playing with each other eliminating their MVP recognition. The MVP is a joke in the modern era because it is geared towards one dominant star player based teams. The best player in the league pretty much always wins the 'ship with very few exceptions. :lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:

Silver&Black
09-27-2010, 09:52 PM
First of all let me start by saying that Shaq is one of the best players I've ever seen. He's not a scrub by any means of the imagination. But even if Shaq does win another ring in BOS and has one more than Timmy....it won't be because of Shaq. He's riding coattails right now. I've always said that Kobe's first three rings were because of Shaq (fact onot fiction). Some people even question his 4th (Heat) ring. They say D-Wade was the superstar on that team.

To put it shortly...Timmy carried this franchise on his shoulders for all 4 of his. No disrespect to the Admiral. But he did.

But on the flip side of the coin....5 > 4 everyday of the week. I'm just glad that an arrogant prick like Shaq still has a lil damn respect for my/our boy.

mabrignani
09-27-2010, 10:35 PM
nigga showing TD his respect while dogging on kobe in the process.

shaq is my main man

eyeh8u
09-27-2010, 11:10 PM
after hearing what Shaq said Tim Duncan responded"

"My first thought [after hearing that] was, 'Well, I guess I'm still relevant,'" Duncan said. "Shaq is still thinking about me, I guess. I'm still someone to be measured against.

"But I don't compete with fat over the hill centers. I don't compete with guys who cant run around, and are always dominating the dinner table, eating up 30 drumsticks a night -- like Shaq.

"Now if a Beluga whale said it, I'd be pissed.... that i wasnt there first hand to see a Beluga Whale talk"

DesignatedT
09-27-2010, 11:15 PM

"My first thought [after hearing that] was, 'Well, I guess I'm still relevant,'" Duncan said. "Shaq is still thinking about me, I guess. I'm still someone to be measured against.

"But I don't compete with fat over the hill centers. I don't compete with guys who cant run around, and are always dominating the dinner table, eating up 30 drumsticks a night -- like Shaq.

"Now if a Beluga whale said it, I'd be pissed.... that i wasnt there first hand to see a Beluga Whale talk"

:lol

SpursNextRomanEmpire
09-28-2010, 07:19 AM

:lol

JR3
09-28-2010, 02:01 PM
Shaq is still in the league? That's the guy who was the best big man in his prime, but had no real work ethic so faded fast right?

dunkman
09-28-2010, 03:38 PM
The time when most teams had to triple cover him and let Kobe, Fisher or Horry be wide open is long gone. On the other side, this is going to be his 19-th season, few players last that long. And he's still a productive center in around 20-24 mpg.

TDMVPDPOY
09-28-2010, 06:39 PM
dunno how u can compare the 2 when one is on his last legs riding the coat tails of what the celtics has assembled the last 3 seasons...

while duncan is still contributing to his team

Em-City
09-28-2010, 06:51 PM
shaq is completely egocentric. watch as he turns kobe's comment in to a compliment for himself, then brushes aside the content of the comment with a reason why its not relevant.

1. Shamelessness - Shame is the feeling that lurks beneath all unhealthy narcissism, and the inability to process shame in healthy ways.
2. Magical thinking - Narcissists see themselves as perfect using distortion and illusion known as magical thinking. They also use projection to dump shame onto others.
3. Arrogance - A narcissist who is feeling deflated may reinflate by diminishing, debasing, or degrading somebody else.
4. Envy - A narcissist may secure a sense of superiority in the face of another person's ability by using contempt to minimize the other person.
5. Entitlement - Narcissists hold unreasonable expectations of particularly favorable treatment and automatic compliance because they consider themselves special. Any failure to comply will be considered an attack on their superiority and the perpetrator is considered to be an "awkward" or "difficult" person. Defiance of their will is a narcissistic injury that can trigger narcissistic rage.
6. Exploitation - can take many forms but always involves the exploitation of others without regard for their feelings or interests. Often the other is in a subservient position where resistance would be difficult or even impossible. Sometimes the subservience is not so much real as assumed.
7. Bad Boundaries - narcissists do not recognize that they have boundaries and that others are separate and are not extensions of themselves. Others either exist to meet their needs or may as well not exist at all. Those who provide narcissistic supply to the narcissist will be treated as if they are part of the narcissist and be expected to live up to those expectations. In the mind of a narcissist, there is no boundary between self and other.

^^^ goood read... ;)

jonnybravo
09-28-2010, 07:16 PM
As a Lakers fan, I'd welcome TD with open arms so he can move pass the big fat fuck.

Sean Cagney
09-28-2010, 09:38 PM
As a Lakers fan, I'd welcome TD with open arms so he can move pass the big fat fuck.

:lol:lol:lol For some reason this here made me laugh alot, heads really hate Shaq.

Shaq is just jumping teams now to try to get that 5th title so damn bad, I hope Timmay never resorts to that and stays true.