PDA

View Full Version : Survey: Americans don't know much about religion

Blake
09-28-2010, 02:14 PM
By RACHEL ZOLL, AP Religion Writer Rachel Zoll, Ap Religion Writer – Tue Sep 28, 12:02 am ET

A new survey of Americans' knowledge of religion found that atheists, agnostics, Jews and Mormons outperformed Protestants and Roman Catholics in answering questions about major religions, while many respondents could not correctly give the most basic tenets of their own faiths.

Forty-five percent of Roman Catholics who participated in the study didn't know that, according to church teaching, the bread and wine used in Holy Communion is not just a symbol, but becomes the body and blood of Christ.

More than half of Protestants could not identify Martin Luther as the person who inspired the Protestant Reformation. And about four in 10 Jews did not know that Maimonides, one of the greatest rabbis and intellectuals in history, was Jewish.

[Related: Texas resolution on Islam]

The survey released Tuesday by the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life aimed to test a broad range of religious knowledge, including understanding of the Bible, core teachings of different faiths and major figures in religious history. The U.S. is one of the most religious countries in the developed world, especially compared to largely secular Western Europe, but faith leaders and educators have long lamented that Americans still know relatively little about religion.

Respondents to the survey were asked 32 questions with a range of difficulty, including whether they could name the Islamic holy book and the first book of the Bible, or say what century the Mormon religion was founded. On average, participants in the survey answered correctly overall for half of the survey questions.

Atheists and agnostics scored highest, with an average of 21 correct answers, while Jews and Mormons followed with about 20 accurate responses. Protestants overall averaged 16 correct answers, while Catholics followed with a score of about 15.

Not surprisingly, those who said they attended worship at least once a week and considered religion important in their lives often performed better on the overall survey. However, level of education was the best predictor of religious knowledge. The top-performing groups on the survey still came out ahead even when controlling for how much schooling they had completed.

[Related: Marriages in '09 at record low]

On questions about Christianity, Mormons scored the highest, with an average of about eight correct answers out of 12, followed by white evangelicals, with an average of just over seven correct answers. Jews, along with atheists and agnostics, knew the most about other faiths, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism and Judaism. Less than half of Americans know that the Dalai Lama is Buddhist, and less than four in 10 know that Vishnu and Shiva are part of Hinduism.

The study also found that many Americans don't understand constitutional restrictions on religion in public schools. While a majority know that public school teachers cannot lead classes in prayer, less than a quarter know that the U.S. Supreme Court has clearly stated that teachers can read from the Bible as an example of literature.

"Many Americans think the constitutional restrictions on religion in public schools are tighter than they really are," Pew researchers wrote.

The survey of 3,412 people, conducted between May and June of this year, had a margin of error of plus or minus 2.5 percentage points, while the margins of error for individual religious groups was higher.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_rel_religious_literacy_poll

not a terribly shocking poll

101A
09-28-2010, 02:31 PM
not a terribly shocking poll

Most Americans can't name the Vice President, but somehow the author thinks it is news that they don't know who Vishnu is?

I'd like to see the survey results - rather than this interpretation.

Doesn't surprise me about Catholics. I was raised RC.

Seriously for FAR too late in my life, when the Priest or reader would announce a reading:

"A reading from the 1st letter of Paul to the Thessalonians."

I thought there must be a stack of letters in the Vatican that they were copying from.

Had a real "oh no shit" moment after I started dating a Protestant and actually READ a Bible. (Not slamming all Catholics; just pointing out personal experience)

Doesn't surprise me about Atheists being able to answer the most questions. Many of them have developed a religion that is, essentially, mocking, ridiculing and deriding the faith and beliefs of others. Can't do that effectively without study (and being on the right mailing lists).

MannyIsGod
09-28-2010, 03:19 PM
Most Americans can't name the Vice President, but somehow the author thinks it is news that they don't know who Vishnu is?

Seriously for FAR too late in my life, when the Priest or reader would announce a reading:

I thought there must be a stack of letters in the Vatican that they were copying from.

Had a real "oh no shit" moment after I started dating a Protestant and actually READ a Bible. (Not slamming all Catholics; just pointing out personal experience)

Doesn't surprise me about Atheists being able to answer the most questions. Many of them have developed a religion that is, essentially, mocking, ridiculing and deriding the faith and beliefs of others. Can't do that effectively without study (and being on the right mailing lists).

Or you could come to the more logical conclusion that their increased knowledge on the faith has led them away from it.

scott
09-28-2010, 03:23 PM
Or you could come to the more logical conclusion that their increased knowledge on the faith has led them away from it.

That plus the fact that demographically Atheists are better educated.

BUT THEY ARE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVIL

BlairForceDejuan
09-28-2010, 03:26 PM
Yeah. In my experience, once I started learning about the religions from 3k years ago and how modern day people mock them it was too hard not to think our accepted religions were no different.

Winehole23
09-28-2010, 03:28 PM
@Manny:

I have a hard time seeing how your begged question (incompatibility of religion and logic) is any better than 101A's (atheists are driven by their antipathy to religion learn about it.) At least 101A hedged his own bet.

LnGrrrR
09-28-2010, 03:31 PM

I'd say that Vishnu being part of Hinduism is at least as memorable as Joe Biden. :lol

You could go to the Pew Research web site. It's probably posted there.

If atheists developed a religion, they would no longer be atheists. Perhaps you meant culture? I know of no religion that doesn't require belief.

rjv
09-28-2010, 03:38 PM
@Manny:

I have a hard time seeing how your begged question (incompatibility of religion and logic) is any better than 101A's (atheists are driven by their antipathy to religion learn about it.) At least 101A hedged his own bet.

manny argues about as much metaphysics as anyone else on this board.

Winehole23
09-28-2010, 03:41 PM
If atheists developed a religion, they would no longer be atheists.Some atheists are evangelical in their unbelief and zealous to deprive others of their belief, like sectaries. That's not pulled from the air.

MannyIsGod
09-28-2010, 03:53 PM
@Manny:

From that poll? Of course you can't derive that. From the fact that I've yet to see a religion with a logical basis I can easily see a correlation that as one gains more knowledge on a religion they're able to see its non logical basis.

I've never seen an argument that when someone dissociated themselves from an idea they learn more about it and that seems very counterintuitive for to me.

Edit: Actually considering you should always go with the simpler explanation - everything being equal - I stand that my statement is more logical than 101a's in the context of the poll.

MannyIsGod
09-28-2010, 03:54 PM
Some atheists are evangelical in their unbelief and zealous to deprive others of their belief, like sectaries. That's not pulled from the air.

No but its also fairly irrelevant if the only metric you have is "some". Some atheists also have brown hair.

DarrinS
09-28-2010, 03:56 PM
Being agnostic, I'm cool with the results of that survey.

TeyshaBlue
09-28-2010, 04:00 PM
From that poll? Of course you can't derive that. From the fact that I've yet to see a religion with a logical basis I can easily see a correlation that as one gains more knowledge on a religion they're able to see its non logical basis.

I've never seen an argument that when someone dissociated themselves from an idea they learn more about it and that seems very counterintuitive for to me.

Edit: Actually considering you should always go with the simpler explanation - everything being equal - I stand that my statement is more logical than 101a's in the context of the poll.

It does seem counterintuitive on the surface. However, sometimes minds aren't really allowed to explore until they are unbound. Freed from the stigma of Doubting Thomas and cast into the (relatively) free role of the unbeliever, certainly allows the exploration of questions not contained in the theistic dogma one may have escaped from.

rjv
09-28-2010, 04:00 PM

but your assertion that your argument is more logical depends on a unverifiable proposition which commits the same sin that you claim 101 A to be making.

Spurminator
09-28-2010, 04:10 PM
I think you're all right.

LnGrrrR
09-28-2010, 04:10 PM
Some atheists are evangelical in their unbelief and zealous to deprive others of their belief, like sectaries. That's not pulled from the air.

Perhaps, but that does make it "religious". Religion includes a set of practices and guidelines that one abides by, and usually includes a belief in something supernatural/unexplainable.

Just because there are a few atheists who ridicule/insult other religions doesn't make atheism itself a religion, anymore than Patriots fans create a new religion when they insult the Jets.

LnGrrrR
09-28-2010, 04:11 PM
Being agnostic, I'm cool with the results of that survey.

Agnostic atheist, you mean. :lol

TeyshaBlue
09-28-2010, 04:18 PM
I think you're all right.

We all think you're right too.:lol :toast

Blake
09-28-2010, 04:20 PM

Why would you throw this out there as if it's the norm for many atheists to mock, ridicule, and deride the faith and belief of others?

Do you think that atheists study religions for the sole purpose of ridicule or do you think that they had already knowledge of these religions before they became atheists?

I've had my share of "oh shit" moments after reading the Bible, but apparently not in the same way as you.

MannyIsGod
09-28-2010, 04:58 PM
but your assertion that your argument is more logical depends on a unverifiable proposition which commits the same sin that you claim 101 A to be making.

How so? Religion is illogical by nature so it is very sound logic to assume one would be turned off on an illogical idea with information about the idea.

rjv
09-28-2010, 05:09 PM
How so? Religion is illogical by nature so it is very sound logic to assume one would be turned off on an illogical idea with information about the idea.

i think your are making up the rules of logic as you go along. if one is just looking at what you are saying in terms of analytical logic you are making assertions that can not avoid being classified as metaphysical. it is akin to the logical positivists that tried to assert that the only meaningful premises were those that could be verified analytically or empirically. the problem was that that very premise itself could be not be verified analytically or empirically. you are trying to qualify what language can be meaningful but you are doing so on metaphysical terms.

LnGrrrR
09-28-2010, 05:11 PM

Getting into murky territory there Manny.

Religions may have specific tenets/facts that are illogical, but religion tends to be alogical (outside the boundaries of logic) in many instances, and instead fulfills an emotional/spiritual need. For instance, if you are hungry for Skittles and buy some to satisfy that want, would you say that was "logical"?

MannyIsGod
09-28-2010, 05:22 PM
Why would anything be outside the bounds of logic? Perhaps this is something I'm ignorant about, but whether you label it metaphysical or alogical it seems to me simpley a way to carve out a niche for religion but would that not in and of itself imply it is not logical?

LnGrrrR
09-28-2010, 05:27 PM
Why would anything be outside the bounds of logic? Perhaps this is something I'm ignorant about, but whether you label it metaphysical or alogical it seems to me simpley a way to carve out a niche for religion but would that not in and of itself imply it is not logical?

I'll make this easy for you.

I prefer Mountain Dew over Coca-Cola, so I purchase Mountain Dew instead. Is that decision "logical"?

I believe Mountain Dew tastes better than Coca-Cola. Is that belief "logical"?

MannyIsGod
09-28-2010, 05:37 PM
Good example. I see your point.

TeyshaBlue
09-28-2010, 05:43 PM
I'll make this easy for you.

I prefer Mountain Dew over Coca-Cola, so I purchase Mountain Dew instead. Is that decision "logical"?

I believe Mountain Dew tastes better than Coca-Cola. Is that belief "logical"?

No, cause Mountain Dew put the NAS in nasty.:ihit

LnGrrrR
09-28-2010, 05:46 PM

Heathen! Do not blaspheme the Soda God of Yore, or He will come down from Mount Dew and strike you down!

Blake
09-28-2010, 06:56 PM

as long as it's not NaF...

-p2112

Homeland Security
09-28-2010, 11:29 PM
There comes a point where one becomes so intelligent that theism simply becomes untenable. I reached that point. It literally is a function of intelligence and self-awareness. There is a reason why every study that has been done on the subject reveals that stupid excess humanity is overwhelmingly religious while the tiny minority of useful people are disproportionately atheist.

If you believe in God you are stupid. There is no way around it.

I also am so intelligent that I realize humanism is untenable. This is where so many secularists and atheists fail to close the loop. Why in the world should other people matter? What is the purpose of charity, compassion, caring about suffering, etc.? There is no purpose in assigning any value to human life outside of how it makes you feel. The reason you feel probably has something to do with some evolutionary advantage socialization once conferred, but no longer does. Once you free yourself of silly sentimentality and understand that other humans only have value in terms of what they can do for you, it is very freeing.

Of course, in person you have to pretend to care, otherwise you can't manipulate them. This is another area where being so much more intelligent than the rest of them comes in handy.

Winehole23
09-29-2010, 03:24 AM
Ladies and gentlemen, put your hands together for Hi-Skool Security... a very funny man!

fyatuk
09-29-2010, 06:31 AM
This survey is a good example of why I don't claim a religion. In my opinion, you cannot claim a religion unless you've studied other religions. It's not faith if you are not knowledgeable of other options.

The only major difference in religions is the rituals used to build a connection with the divine.

101A
09-29-2010, 01:38 PM
This survey is a good example of why I don't claim a religion. In my opinion, you cannot claim a religion unless you've studied other religions. It's not faith if you are not knowledgeable of other options.

The only major difference in religions is the rituals used to build a connection with the divine.

...and you know this because you have, or haven't studied them?

and, you atheists/agnostics [begin edit] except for Manny who is neither agonostic or atheist, but probably should be considered agnostic but only in the sense that he is very noncommittal to any particular religion he's come across [end edit] sure are a sensitive bunch.

Blake
09-29-2010, 01:59 PM
Many of them have developed a religion that is, essentially, mocking, ridiculing and deriding the faith and beliefs of others. Can't do that effectively without study (and being on the right mailing lists).

and, you atheists/agnostics sure are a sensitive bunch.

If one reads between the lines of your original post, the same thing could be said about you.

101A
09-29-2010, 02:08 PM
If one reads between the lines of your original post, the same thing could be said about you.

My original post:

Where, exactly?

MannyIsGod
09-29-2010, 02:24 PM

and, you atheists/agnostics sure are a sensitive bunch.

I'm nether atheist or agnostic but I am a non believer of Christianity.

Actually I probably should be considered agnostic but only in the sense that I am very noncommittal to any particular religion I've come across.

101A
09-29-2010, 02:26 PM
I'm nether atheist or agnostic but I am a non believer of Christianity.

Actually I probably should be considered agnostic but only in the sense that I am very noncommittal to any particular religion I've come across.

Fair enough (I will edit my original post)

101A
09-29-2010, 02:29 PM
Just funnin.

MannyIsGod
09-29-2010, 02:35 PM
:lmao

Well done.

fyatuk
09-29-2010, 03:01 PM

and, you atheists/agnostics [begin edit] except for Manny who is neither agonostic or atheist, but probably should be considered agnostic but only in the sense that he is very noncommittal to any particular religion he's come across [end edit] sure are a sensitive bunch.

I've studied Christianity, Hinduism, Bhuddism, Islam, and Wiccan, as well as a few dead pagan religions. If you ignore the rituals, etc, used to develop the connection to the divine, most have different interpretations of the same myths and legends, and many of the same rules for living within society. There are also a lot of similarities in how the highest divine being is viewed.

I am neither atheist or agnostic. I am certain (i'm not saying everyone else is wrong, I just know I'm right for myself) in my understanding of the divine and have built my personal connection with it. I am a religious person, I just chose not to be associated with a specific religion because of my studies.

101A
09-29-2010, 03:08 PM
I've studied Christianity, Hinduism, Bhuddism, Islam, and Wiccan, as well as a few dead pagan religions. If you ignore the rituals, etc, used to develop the connection to the divine, most have different interpretations of the same myths and legends, and many of the same rules for living within society. There are also a lot of similarities in how the highest divine being is viewed.

I am neither atheist or agnostic. I am certain (i'm not saying everyone else is wrong, I just know I'm right for myself) in my understanding of the divine and have built my personal connection with it. I am a religious person, I just chose not to be associated with a specific religion because of my studies.

Thanks.

I wasn't sure from your original post: I thought you were suggesting you did not follow a specific faith specifically because you did not know enough about enough of them. I, obviously, misread, or misunderstood, your post.

Blake
09-29-2010, 03:13 PM
Where, exactly?

Many of them have developed a religion that is, essentially, mocking, ridiculing and deriding the faith and beliefs of others. Can't do that effectively without study (and being on the right mailing lists).

My thinking is one verb would have been adequate to state your point.

Three verbs in this manner reeks of sensitivity, imo.

fyatuk
09-29-2010, 03:19 PM
Thanks.

I wasn't sure from your original post: I thought you were suggesting you did not follow a specific faith specifically because you did not know enough about enough of them. I, obviously, misread, or misunderstood, your post.

No problem. I can see how you could take my statement that way.

101A
09-29-2010, 03:19 PM
My thinking is one verb would have been adequate to state your point.

Three verbs in this manner reeks of sensitivity, imo.

I didn't think one verb conveyed the amount of active dislike many atheists seem to have toward religious people. But I take your point.

101A
09-29-2010, 03:25 PM
BTW - I mentioned this last year, and it bears repeating.

As much as I may have believed in a higher power before, I had a true "defining moment" recently.

My wife is a professor - I was behind the science building waiting to pick her up last year, when emerged from the building: A SIGN.

A long-legged, shapely, brunette coed wearing the following:

A man's Oxford, button collared dress shirt. And a Belt.

Every man/boy/Y chromosome possessing organism in the vicinity stopped, stared, paused, and mouthed "Oh...My...God" nearly in unison.

Fortunately, that God gave me enough time to collect myself before my wife got in the car.

rjv
09-29-2010, 04:48 PM
BTW - I mentioned this last year, and it bears repeating.

As much as I may have believed in a higher power before, I had a true "defining moment" recently.

My wife is a professor - I was behind the science building waiting to pick her up last year, when emerged from the building: A SIGN.

A long-legged, shapely, brunette coed wearing the following:

A man's Oxford, button collared dress shirt. And a Belt.

Every man/boy/Y chromosome possessing organism in the vicinity stopped, stared, paused, and mouthed "Oh...My...God" nearly in unison.

Fortunately, that God gave me enough time to collect myself before my wife got in the car.

from this description i can only assume she had nothing else on. in that case, i vote this as the new version of the ontological argument.

LnGrrrR
09-29-2010, 05:00 PM

I don't see how I'm sensitive. Care to explain? You seem to be the one getting your panties in a twist here.

LnGrrrR
09-29-2010, 05:00 PM

So you're a gnostic theist. Cool.

LnGrrrR
09-29-2010, 05:02 PM
I didn't think one verb conveyed the amount of active dislike many atheists seem to have toward religious people. But I take your point.

Most atheists don't care. It's just that the ones who do care are usually the loudest. That pretty much goes for all walks of life... the extremists tend to be the ones yelling.

Crookshanks
09-29-2010, 06:22 PM
I took the mini quiz on the Pew website - and I got 14 out of 15 correct.

101A
09-29-2010, 07:49 PM
Most atheists don't care. It's just that the ones who do care are usually the loudest. That pretty much goes for all walks of life... the extremists tend to be the ones yelling.

Good point - I will try not to generalize so much.

Wild Cobra
09-29-2010, 08:47 PM
I feel the same way.