PDA

View Full Version : Penney added to the training camp roster

nbaman99
09-28-2010, 04:51 PM
Written by Jeff Garcia
Tuesday, 28 September 2010 13:16
When the San Antonio Spurs released their 2010 training camp roster, New Zealand's Kirk Penney was noticeably left off.

However, Project Spurs' Michael De Leon is at the Spurs' training camp today and reports the Spurs have added him to the roster.

http://projectspurs.com/2010-articles/september/penney-added-to-the-training-camp-roster.html

xellos88330
09-28-2010, 04:54 PM
Hooray!!! A kiwi for training!!!

I am going to go out and buy some out of respect!!!

GO KIWI GO!!!

(I am so enthused because Kiwi is just fun as hell to say!)

PDXSpursFan
09-28-2010, 05:29 PM
When I saw the title I though we signed Penny Hardaway :bang

EricD
09-28-2010, 06:09 PM
Hell yes!! Another player who won't be here in a month-- Any chance Spurs sign Sequ for a few weeks too?

analyzed
10-02-2010, 08:33 PM
At first I thought Kirk Penny had very liitle chance of making the final roster, however as each training camp day passes. it's looking more and more realistic that he will make the team.

Kirk had this to say:
"I know on this team (among the non-guaranteed players) there isn't a player like me, who moves well of the ball."

He actually is correct. Between Gist , Gee etc ( non-guarnateed players) no one actually comes close to Penny in terms of offensive efficiency. What makes Penny's chances even greater is Anderson's probable slow rehablitaton into game shape. (remember you are comparing a guy who has been sitting injured ( Anderson) with a guy who was the second leading scorer in the recent world basketball championships ( Kirk) you can bet Kirk is definetly currently playing at a higher level than Anderson. Kirk is also light years ahead of Temple offensivly. And you could also make the arguement that in terms of moving without the ball Kirk has the advantage over Neal. So really when you look at it , in terms of right now (today) Kirk Penny actually is the best perimeter scoring wing in camp outside of Manu, RJ, Hill. seriously, That being the case it might be difficult to drop this guy ( even as a reserve)

Leonard Curse
10-02-2010, 08:40 PM
has pop gone full retard we need BIGS DAMMIT!! i woul at least sign Mbenga

ohmwrecker
10-02-2010, 09:54 PM
Andrew Gaze 2K11!

mosdef17
10-02-2010, 10:39 PM
I'm from Australia and have seen Kirk Penney play live many times, he is a very good player. I'm not sure if he would have to play some backup SF or what his actual role on the team would be. He is a great scorer and can handle well too. Last season I think he had 49 points and in that game he was 9/15 from 3 and 16/23 overall. Don't think he played THAT many minutes in that game either. About 30 I think? He was league MVP two seasons ago also. People may laugh at players they have never heard of, but theres no denying he can play.

Realistically though I don't think he would be an answer as the backup SF. If we didn't draft James Anderson then I think he would be an ok option as the 4th-5th guard in the rotation.

8FOR!3
10-02-2010, 10:58 PM
I can't see him playing the SF position. He about half an inch taller than Bogans and a outweighs him by a few pounds all, but Bogans has a much longer wingspan, Penney kinda has a short reach for someone his size. On the flip side, he's actually a better athlete than Bogans, which surprised me, because Bogans impressed a few people with his athleticism for a second rounder coming out of college. Kirk Penney has a stronger bench, higher vert, and is quicker as well. I don't see backup SF potential in him, but who's to say Gary Neal is any better as a two guard than this guy? Neal does have more potential as a combo guard though does he not? I don't see Kirk Penney playing any PG either.

AussieFanKurt
10-04-2010, 06:32 AM
Hope he does an alright job and cops a signing

EricB
10-04-2010, 10:06 AM
has pop gone full retard we need BIGS DAMMIT!! i woul at least sign Mbenga

:lmao Mbenga

go stick your head in a toilet

ceperez
10-09-2010, 08:32 AM
At first I thought Kirk Penny had very liitle chance of making the final roster, however as each training camp day passes. it's looking more and more realistic that he will make the team.

Kirk had this to say:
"I know on this team (among the non-guaranteed players) there isn't a player like me, who moves well of the ball."

He actually is correct. Between Gist , Gee etc ( non-guarnateed players) no one actually comes close to Penny in terms of offensive efficiency. What makes Penny's chances even greater is Anderson's probable slow rehablitaton into game shape. (remember you are comparing a guy who has been sitting injured ( Anderson) with a guy who was the second leading scorer in the recent world basketball championships ( Kirk) you can bet Kirk is definetly currently playing at a higher level than Anderson. Kirk is also light years ahead of Temple offensivly. And you could also make the arguement that in terms of moving without the ball Kirk has the advantage over Neal. So really when you look at it , in terms of right now (today) Kirk Penny actually is the best perimeter scoring wing in camp outside of Manu, RJ, Hill. seriously, That being the case it might be difficult to drop this guy ( even as a reserve)

I think there's a good case to make for Penney. The guy has a very quick release and can shoot from any spot (unlike Bonner who keeps missing mid-range jumpers).

Although, Neal has a lot of upside, Penney appears to be more skilled and seems more comfortable in making a play.

Only question, is there an opening in the roster where we can slot him in?

Parker/Hill
Ginobili/(Penney)/Anderson
RJ/Gee
Blair/McDyess/Bonner
Duncan/Splitter/

IR - Temple/Neal/Cousins

Waive - Jerrels/Simmons

Anyway, it is surprising that there's so many players on the team that can make the 3.

lurker23
10-10-2010, 12:24 AM
Probably not worth a new thread, but...

aamcneill48MoH Andrew A. McNeill

I believe Kirk Penney just got his walking papers. Said goodbye to teammates in the locker room. #Spurs

http://twitter.com/#!/aamcneill48MoH/status/26902283179

AussieFanKurt
10-10-2010, 12:32 AM
well he didn'tplay today

ivanfromwestwood
10-10-2010, 03:09 AM
good luck penny. go to Europe and make a million or two. you would have rode the pine anyway

DrSteffo
10-10-2010, 03:29 AM
Makes sense.

8FOR!3
10-10-2010, 10:30 AM
Doesn't surprise me, this guy's best chances with us anyway were to sit on the IR list all year.

nbaman99
10-10-2010, 10:30 AM
From what I have seen, he is a good spot up shooter and good defender. Unless its a contract problem, I think we're making a mistake if we let him go.

ceperez
10-10-2010, 11:46 AM
From what I have seen, he is a good spot up shooter and good defender. Unless its a contract problem, I think we're making a mistake if we let him go.

Well if the tweets are true... then he's pretty much gone. I guess he fills a role identical to Neal, but Neal with a bargain basement price, D-league eligible, then really can't sign Penney if he's asking too much (i.e. league minimum).

So roster clears up and now looks more like this:

Parker/Hill
Ginobili/Neal/Anderson
RJ/Gee
Blair/McDyess/Bonner
Duncan/Splitter/

IR - Temple/Simmons/Cousins

Waive - Penney/Jerrels

To be honest, Jerrels has been playing decent as of late and I the Spurs may have a hard time justifying paying Simmons the veteran minimum.

Solid D
10-10-2010, 01:35 PM
Well if the tweets are true... then he's pretty much gone. I guess he fills a role identical to Neal, but Neal with a bargain basement price, D-league eligible, then really can't sign Penney if he's asking too much (i.e. league minimum).

So roster clears up and now looks more like this:

Parker/Hill
Ginobili/Neal/Anderson
RJ/Gee
Blair/McDyess/Bonner
Duncan/Splitter/

IR - Temple/Simmons/Cousins

Waive - Penney/Jerrels

To be honest, Jerrels has been playing decent as of late and I the Spurs may have a hard time justifying paying Simmons the veteran minimum.

The Spurs have been playing Anderson at the 3. Pop threw him into the fire to guard LeBron last night in the first quarter. I had to laugh at that but Anderson did the best he could. He picked up a couple of fouls.

I'm not sure Bobby Simmons makes the team. We'll see how much time he gets in the next game or two, but he didn't get much last night.

DPG21920
10-10-2010, 01:38 PM
Why are you locking Gee in that lineup? He has not been getting any PT and I don't think anyone knows if that is a good thing or bad at this point.

Solid D
10-10-2010, 02:22 PM
With Penney gone, that essentially leaves 6 players - Temple, Jerrells, Gee, Simmons, Gist and Cousin - fighting for 2 or 3 spots. Jerrells has looked better than Temple, so far. Simmons and Gee each have their strengths. Gist and Cousin have each had their offensive struggles but have looked good defensively. Gist has had some nice steals and blocks for extra energy points. Cousin has very good size. He just needs to be sure his screens are legal.

DPG21920
10-10-2010, 02:30 PM
We really have not seen Gee at all. I watched him live at the SL and he showed some nice flashes, but since then we have not really seen anything.

Temple looked very good in SL before he got hurt.

duncan228
10-10-2010, 11:46 PM
Penney cut from Spurs camp (http://www.radiosport.co.nz/SportsNews/spspo/Detail.aspx?id=183862)
Tall Blacks guard Kirk Penney will return to the NZ Breakers after being cut from the San Antonio Spurs NBA training camp.

Kirk Penney's latest shot at the NBA is over.

The Breakers have confirmed the Tall Blacks point guard has been cut from training camp at the San Antonio Spurs.

Penney only played one pre season match, coming off the bench to score nine points.

The Breakers don't expect Penney to be back in time for their first match of the season next Wednesday night.

ElNono
10-10-2010, 11:50 PM
Thanks D228... that's a wrap for Penney...
Time to scratch him off my 'who to cut' list...

Bruno
10-11-2010, 08:40 AM
It's half surprising to see Penney being cut that soon. On the one hand he looked quite good in the first preseason game but on the other hand Spurs are crowded at the SG spot with Hill, Ginobili, Anderson and Neal having a guaranteed contract. I don't know if Penney had other TC offers but Spurs were a bad fit for him.

mountainballer
10-11-2010, 08:53 AM
Penney might still get the chance to find another team (NBA or Europe). maybe cutting him that soon was a move to not hurt his chances.

edit: just read he returns to his old team. maybe he also asked to be cut when he realized he won't make the team at the end of camp.
(maybe when there were those comments from Pop/Rc that the Spurs will likely only carry 13 players)

ace3g
10-11-2010, 11:49 AM
spurs San Antonio Spurs
Official press release: Spurs Waive Kirk Penney - http://bit.ly/cMs8r6

ChumpDumper
10-11-2010, 12:09 PM
He'll probably be back in the D-League after his NZ team finishes it's season. So if we really need someone like him then, he will likely be available.

DespЏrado
10-11-2010, 04:31 PM
I wish him luck the nine points he did have, had me reminiscing over Kerr in a good way. Penney can shoot the ball and if Neal and Anderson didn't look like much better prospects Penney would have been much more of a possibility.

Ice009
10-11-2010, 11:30 PM
Isn't his defense really bad? That may the reason he was cut.