PDA

View Full Version : Nets' proposed Carmelo deal 'dead'

Ashy Larry
09-28-2010, 05:23 PM
The proposed deal that would have brought Carmelo Anthony (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/players/3706) to New Jersey is "dead," a league source told SI.com.

Last Friday, the Nets were "deeply into" trade discussions with Denver, Utah and Charlotte for a deal that would bring Anthony to New Jersey and send No. 3 pick Derrick Favors (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/players/4718) as well as multiple future draft picks to Denver. The Nuggets would have also received forward Andrei Kirilenko (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/players/3347) from Utah, while the Bobcats would have gotten point guard Devin Harris (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/players/3822) from New Jersey and the Jazz would've received forward Boris Diaw (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/players/3724) from Charlotte.

It was reported later that evening that Anthony approved of the proposed deal, but as the weekend progressed, Denver dragged its heels by gauging other teams' interest.

Anthony appeared at media day on Monday, donning the Nuggets' uniform, and told reporters that he never asked out of Denver.

"There's been a lot of speculation, a lot of rumors going on this summer about where I'm going to end up, the Nuggets want to trade me, I want to be traded," he said. "That's for my team and front office to discuss. I'm here to focus on basketball and training camp tomorrow."

While Anthony's preferred destination has long been considered New York, the Knicks don't have any draft picks to include in a trade package for the All-Star forward. Anthony has also shown interest in the Bulls, but Chicago resumed talks for a extension with center Joakim Noah (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/players/4287), one of the team's biggest assets who averaged 10.7 points and 11 rebounds last season.
Anthony has averaged 24.7 points and 6.2 rebounds and made the All-Star team three times during his seven seasons with the Nuggets.

Hmmmmmmmm ..... the plot thickens

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-28-2010, 05:25 PM
I don't know why he's emphasizing so much on being traded now. This process would go by so much easier if he waited until the trade deadline or next offseason.

JamStone
09-28-2010, 05:33 PM
Because many people are suggesting that the new bargaining agreement will end up significantly lowering the salary structure, which will affect how much Carmelo will be able to make next summer compared to what he could make if he's traded and then immediately signs an extension similar to the one Denver offered him for roughly $20 million a year for 3 years. Since he doesn't want to stay in Denver, he's not signing that guaranteed $60 million. But if he gets traded to a team he wants to sign an extension with, like the Knicks, then he would have no problem signing the extension and getting a big chunk of guaranteed money before all the changes to the CBA.

balli
09-28-2010, 05:41 PM
Good. Besides the Jazz not losing AK for Boris freakin' Diaw, I hope Denver pays long term consequences for forging agreements and leaking those agreements in an attempt to leverage themselves into a better deal. The Nuggets used everybody, put player egos on the line and wasted the time of GM's. I hope it diminishes their future negotiating power. Fuck them.

sefant77
09-28-2010, 05:52 PM
He is gone by deadline anyway

The Franchise
09-28-2010, 05:56 PM
Good. Besides the Jazz not losing AK for Boris freakin' Diaw, I hope Denver pays long term consequences for forging agreements and leaking those agreements in an attempt to leverage themselves into a better deal. The Nuggets used everybody, put player egos on the line and wasted the time of GM's. I hope it diminishes their future negotiating power. Fuck them.

:toast The new GM is creating a negative image for himself out the gate. It can only hurt him in the long run.

Basketballgirl25
09-28-2010, 06:05 PM
He is gone by deadline anyway

I agree even if he doesn't go to the Nets, I think he will be gone be the trade deadline

JamStone
09-28-2010, 06:11 PM
I agree even if he doesn't go to the Nets...

"Get used to disappointment."

http://simondorfman.com/Games/Spellfire/wp-content/drop-your-sword.jpg

Giuseppe
09-28-2010, 06:34 PM
The deal was never alive.

Media was just funnin' about.

NuGGeTs-FaN
09-28-2010, 10:43 PM
Glad this is dead. Why the heck would the Nuggs take on more salary to make the team worse?

Ak47? :lmao no thanks.

Melo will end up on the Nets. The Nets will have the offer on the table for as long as they have to. They are just going to make it look like they aren't pursuing it to try and mend things with Harris :lol

As long as the Knicks have a chance at Melo, then i guarantee that the Nets will do whatever they can do get him extended and trade for him.

Melo will be a Net, one way or another

duncan228
09-29-2010, 09:12 PM
Anthony focusing on basketball, not future (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-nuggets-anthony)

Carmelo Anthony said he loves being with the Denver Nuggets and is happy to go through the season with free agency a real possibility next summer.

The Nuggets forward, who has been the subject of trade talk for months, said after the second day of training camp Wednesday he is content to suit up again for Denver on opening night.

“I’d love to,” he said. “If they come to me and say they want to trade me to a team we’ll discuss it at that time. Right now they haven’t come to me and said that. Until that time comes I’m here playing basketball. My options will be open.”

With the potential trade that would have sent Anthony to the New Jersey Nets having fallen through, Anthony is focusing on his current team. He said he came into camp 5 pounds lighter than last year, and he’s feeling stronger and leaner.

Meanwhile, trade talks have been going on, but he said the Nuggets’ front office never discussed a deal with the Nets.

“No, not at all,” he said. “What they’re doing in the front office is letting me go through training camp and not worry about that type of stuff.”

Anthony has yet to sign off on a three-year, $65 million extension that’s been on the table since June, leading the Nuggets to explore trade options. The potential trade involving Denver, New Jersey, Charlotte and Utah hit a road block over the weekend and then fell apart.

Anthony’s offseason marriage to actress LaLa Vazquez has fueled speculation that he would want to play in a bigger market, but he said his wife is supportive of his career wherever he plays.

“My wife is rolling with me,” he said. “She’s leaving the decision up to me. I’m the one out here shooting jump shots, running up and down the court. She understands what’s going on. Of course there’s pressure for her because she don’t really know what’s going on right now, a lot of speculation and rumors.

“She’s the star, she’s in Hollywood, she’s acting, she’s got her own show, that’s what she does. She’s been doing that before she even met me. She’s with me.”

He added living in Denver doesn’t hurt his marketability.

“The endorsement deals are going to come,” he said. “My endorsement deals aren’t going to change, wherever I live at.”

Nuggets coach George Karl said the decisions by LeBron James and Chris Bosch to sign as free agents with Miami and join Dwyane Wade could be playing a part in Anthony’s thought process.

“I think everybody has a little bit of an opinion of what happened in Miami, some good, some bad,” he said. “I think it definitely had a little bit of an impact. It had a little bit of an impact on how people think.”

For now Anthony is getting ready for his eighth season with the Nuggets and letting the front office deal with trade talk. If nothing happens, he’s ready to play out his contract and hit the free-agent market.

“I’m going to work hard regardless, whether there’s a deal on the table or the deal’s not on the table,” he said. “I’m here, man. This ain’t offseason. The season has started. I’m not a free agent yet. If it comes down to it at the end of the season and I haven’t signed the extension, then we’ll sit down.”

Giuseppe
09-29-2010, 09:15 PM
Ak47? :lmao no thanks.

Precisely. Kirilenko is not for you. He's a special case and will require special placement.

duncan228
09-30-2010, 04:08 PM
Source tells me the NY Knicks have a deal available to acquire a No. 1 draft pick in 2011 for use in a C.Anthony trade, if talks revived.

Banzai
10-01-2010, 12:51 AM
1ytCEuuW2_A