PDA

View Full Version : Houston-area 13-year-old kills himself, parents blame bullying

Spurminator
09-28-2010, 05:46 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/7220896.html

Parents say bullies drove their son to take his life
They claim school district took no action
By PEGGY O'HARE HOUSTON CHRONICLE
Sept. 28, 2010, 4:23PM

http://www.chron.com/photos/2010/09/27/23461156/260xStory.jpg
Asher Brown, 13, shown in August, killed himself at home in Cypress on Thursday. His mother, Amy Truong, believes he killed himself because of bullying he had endured at school. He attended Hamilton Middle School in the Cy-Fair Independent School District.

Asher Brown's worn-out tennis shoes still sit in the living room of his Cypress-area home while his student progress report — filled with straight A's — rests on the coffee table.

The eighth-grader killed himself last week. He shot himself in the head after enduring what his mother and stepfather say was constant harassment from four other students at Hamilton Middle School in the Cypress-Fairbanks Independent School District.

Brown, his family said, was "bullied to death" — picked on for his small size, his religion and because he did not wear designer clothes and shoes. Kids also accused him of being gay, some of them performing mock gay acts on him in his physical education class, his mother and stepfather said.

The 13-year-old's parents said they had complained about the bullying to Hamilton Middle School officials during the past 18 months, but claimed their concerns fell on deaf ears.

David and Amy Truong said they made several visits to the school to complain about the harassment, and Amy Truong said she made numerous phone calls to the school that were never returned.

'We want justice'

Cy Fair ISD officials said Monday that they never received any complaints from Brown's parents before the suicide about the way the boy was being treated at school.

School district spokeswoman Kelli Durham, whose husband Alan Durham is a Hamilton assistant principal, said no students, school employees or the boy's parents ever reported that he was being bullied.

That statement infuriated the Truongs, who accused the school district of protecting the bullies and their parents.

"That's absolutely inaccurate — it's completely false," Amy Truong said. "I did not hallucinate phone calls to counselors and assistant principals. We have no reason to make this up. … It's like they're calling us liars."

David Truong said, "We want justice. The people here need to be held responsible and to be stopped. It did happen. There are witnesses everywhere."

Numerous comments from parents and students on the Web site of KRIV-TV Channel 26, which also reported a story about Brown's death, stated that the boy had been bullied by classmates for several years and claimed Cy-Fair ISD does nothing to stop such harassment.

Durham said the school counselor and an assistant principal received an e-mail from Amy Truong earlier this month, asking them to keep an eye on her son, but Durham said it was because of ongoing concerns at home and not about bullying.

Shot himself with pistol

Brown was found dead on the floor of his stepfather's closet at the family's home in the 11700 block of Cypresswood about 4:30 p.m. Thursday. He used his stepfather's 9 mm Beretta, stored on one of the closet's shelves, to kill himself. He left no note. David Truong found the teen's body when he arrived home from work.

On the morning of his death, the teen told his stepfather he was gay, but Truong said he was fine with the disclosure. "We didn't condemn," he said.
His parents said Brown had been called names and endured harassment from other students since he joined Cy-Fair ISD two years ago. As a result, he stuck with a small group of friends who suffered similar harassment from other students, his parents said.

His most recent humiliation occurred the day before his suicide, when another student tripped Brown as he walked down a flight of stairs at the school, his parents said.

When Brown hit the stairway landing and went to retrieve his book bag, the other student kicked his books everywhere and kicked Brown down the remaining flight of stairs, the Truongs said.

Durham said that incident was investigated, but turned up no witnesses or video footage to corroborate the couple's claims.

'I hope you're happy'

The Truongs say they just want the harassment to stop so other students do not suffer like their son did and so another family does not have to endure such a tragedy.

"Our son is just the extreme case of what happens when (someone is) just relentless," Amy Truong said.

To the bullies, she added, "I hope you're happy with what you've done. I hope you got what you wanted and you're just real satisfied with yourself."
Services for Brown will be held Saturday.

[email protected]

redzero
09-28-2010, 05:48 PM
I wonder if the bullies stole his iPod, too.

Spurminator
09-28-2010, 05:50 PM
I'll be honest, I'm a firm believer in innocent til proven guilty, but something about this story smells fishy.

DesignatedT
09-28-2010, 05:52 PM
that sucks.

CubanSucks
09-28-2010, 06:16 PM
Damn this modern trend they call "bullying"!!!!!!!

How the hell weren't these school employees able to stop such acts! It's as if this so called "bullying" has been going on for thousands of years!

mrsmaalox
09-28-2010, 07:28 PM
So sad. Don't know what the real story is, but it's nothing but tragic when a child is distressed enough to take his own life.

Ari Gold
09-28-2010, 07:35 PM
I don't understand that shit. Why not shoot the bullies then yourself? At least make the stupid kids who ruined your life feel a little pain.

thispego
09-28-2010, 07:54 PM
If your son is being bullied like that there is a lot more you should be doing then emails and phone calls. I want kids names and parents phone numbers, I'm makng personal visitsto the school andto these kids' houses.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-28-2010, 07:56 PM
I don't understand that shit. Why not shoot the bullies then yourself? At least make the stupid kids who ruined your life feel a little pain.
Seriously. If you're gonna kill yourself you might as go Columbine on that bitch.

redzero
09-28-2010, 07:57 PM
If your son is being bullied like that there is a lot more you should be doing then emails and phone calls. I want kids names and parents phone numbers, I'm makng personal visitsto the school andto these kids' houses.

Why? You'd just be bullied, too.

Summers
09-28-2010, 08:12 PM

I think I'd be causing a scene in the principal's office every morning until something was done. This stuff is fucking depressing.

ALVAREZ6
09-28-2010, 08:48 PM
Tough guy bullies fuckin priceless. Sad story. Some people just don't deserve life, and by some people, I actually mean the vast majority of our population, because stupid people don't deserve to live.

MavDynasty
09-28-2010, 09:06 PM
That is fucked up. People need to know when to stop acting like dumbasses and just leave people alone. Suicide is never a right option because I think things can be settled but I can relate to this shit. Had a freshman last year at my school commit suicide because of bullying.

MavDynasty
09-28-2010, 09:07 PM
imho, it will be interesting to see how this turns out. School says the parents didn't do anything while parents say school didn't do anything. One of them is trying to cover their ass tbh

Hooks
09-28-2010, 09:14 PM
I was bullied when I was in middle school, I was 5'2 and 170lbs in 6th grade lol, I was fat as hell! I stood up for myself though, I got up in their face and punked them lol (I was fat, but I've always had balls and a bad temper, I never back down from ANYONE). All bullies are good for is talking shit but when you get in their face and tell them to do something they back down like pussies.

Since then I've grown to 5'11 and I weigh 175lbs, I've also got a couple years of boxing under my belt and I'm not a scrub.

These kids need to toughen up.

ChuckD
09-28-2010, 09:14 PM

That flavor is called a school shooting. Maybe you've heard of it.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-28-2010, 09:15 PM
I'd be willing to bet any given amount of money the school is lying.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-28-2010, 09:16 PM
That flavor is called a school shooting. Maybe you've heard of it.
Yeah and if you're gonna end your life, at least go down as the guy who shot up the school and got revenge, don't go down as some punk bitch who just killed himself.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-28-2010, 09:23 PM
I would also bet money that your moms a whore
:lmao

CubanSucks
09-28-2010, 09:29 PM
I was bullied when I was in middle school, I was 5'2 and 170lbs in 6th grade lol, I was fat as hell! I stood up for myself though, I got up in their face and punked them lol (I was fat, but I've always had balls and a bad temper, I never back down from ANYONE). All bullies are good for is talking shit but when you get in their face and tell them to do something they back down like pussies.

Since then I've grown to 5'11 and I weigh 175lbs, I've also got a couple years of boxing under my belt and I'm not a scrub.

:lmao and how old are you now, tough guy?

Latarian Milton
09-28-2010, 09:36 PM
the dude died because of cowardliness tbh. a real man would have used the gun against the bullies rather than himself.

pawe
09-28-2010, 09:59 PM
I was bullied when I was in middle school, I was 5'2 and 170lbs in 6th grade lol, I was fat as hell!

Easy to fight back when you are big and can actually mix it up with bullies. But, how are you gonna fight if you're a scrawny gay 8th grader?

BadOdor
09-28-2010, 10:24 PM
His parents should have visited the bullies parents.

silverblk mystix
09-28-2010, 11:09 PM
the dude died because of cowardliness tbh. a real man would have used the gun against the bullies rather than himself.

It seems that if he had used the gun against the bullies, not only would he be a real man, he would also be a murderer.

xellos88330
09-28-2010, 11:11 PM
I honestly believe that this is a direct result of the parents.

I could probably think of what was going through the kids head and why he shot himself.

My reasoning is this...

Kid is being bullied all the time during school, but still gets good grades so the parents are proud of him. This gives him the emotional support, confidence, and strength he needs to endure the harassment at school.

Kid fesses up that he is gay. Parents overreact and the kid feels like even his parents are abandoning him. He feels worthless.

The parents could very well have notified the school, however, in their personal guilt are lashing out at the school for not putting a stop to the bullies. It was clearly in their power to stop it. They knew about the bullying, but didn't try hard enough. When they turned their back on their son, it was the last straw for him. Guilt is hard to deal with, and most parents do react to it with anger.

It doesn't take much to get the name of the bullies if the kid wanted it to stop. You have the name, you know what school district you live in, check the phone book. Do this if the school doesn't give the name of the parents.

I would have taken matters in my own hands the first day I found out he was being bullied.

I was and still am a short guy, but my father taught me that if they want to fight, make sure I am the one that finishes it.

pawe
09-28-2010, 11:17 PM
Report said even after the kid confessed he was gay, the parents did not condemn him.

xellos88330
09-28-2010, 11:17 PM
Report said even after the kid confessed he was gay, the parents did not condemn him.

Wouldn't you say that too to render yourself free of blame? Would you want the whole town to know that you don't like gay people?

Even if they didn't condemn him, they may not have taken his choice too well. I know that if my daughter/son told me that they were homosexual, I would be disappointed. I would respect their decision, but disappointed nonetheless.

A teenager dealing with that amount and degree of harassment is a delicate situation that makes normal reactions critical.

Bottom line is the parents didn't do enough to help their son in multiple areas of the kids life. It is not ENTIRELY the schools fault.

I feel for the parents and their loss, and I know they would change it if they could. It happened, hopefully in the future it will be a lesson for not only them, but parents everywhere concerning bullying in school.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
09-28-2010, 11:20 PM
Gee, let's totally disregard the fact that you had a gun and bullets on a shelf in your closet with an emotionally fragile teenager in the home.

Buy a gun lock, pull your kid out of the school and seek real help.

xellos88330
09-28-2010, 11:27 PM
Gee, let's totally disregard the fact that you had a gun and bullets on a shelf in your closet with an emotionally fragile teenager in the home.

You know this makes me think of something else too.

If the child wasn't insured, or he was insured but had a suicide clause, maybe the parents are blaming the school to get some sort of compensation from them.

I know I may sound like a jerk, but there are always two sides to every story. Hell, sometimes there are more than two.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
09-28-2010, 11:34 PM
It just makes me think that people don't want any part of the blame.

Personal responsibility went out the window long ago.

CubanSucks
09-29-2010, 12:14 AM
For everyone blaming the school just remember that bullying is rarely that ass kicking in the courtyard for everyone to see. So what's the school to do every time the bullies call the kid a fag or start rumors? Set up a sting operation to try and catch them as they're saying these things? Bullying can sometimes be dodged but it can never be stopped

xellos88330
09-29-2010, 01:34 AM

One more fishy thing about this is the fact that he had told them he was gay the same day he shot himself. Something tells me something went down in that house.

CuckingFunt
09-29-2010, 01:41 AM

Yup.

Spurminator
09-29-2010, 10:12 AM
In all of the comments on the news sites about this article, and all of the conversation I've heard (I grew up in this area and went to school at Hamilton for a year), xellos is the only other person to share the same skepticism of the parents' claims I felt when I first read about this...

Doesn't it seem convenient that the parents reacted so perfectly to his confession? Doesn't it seem odd that the school would deny ever being contacted by them about bullying? Wouldn't there have been obvious evidence that this kid was getting to a point where he was a danger to himself? (i.e. refusing to go to school, tantrums, threats that he'd kill himself if he had to go back, etc.)

I have a hard time believing he went from a straight-A kid who was having bully problems at school to just killing himself without even leaving a note. A 13-year old killing himself in this way takes a perfect storm of completely illogical and irrational things happening.

And I'm not saying it couldn't happen. But what I am seeing is a lot of people jumping to accuse the school of hiding something in what, for now, is a case of they-said/they-said. I'm interested to see where this investigation goes.

xellos88330
09-29-2010, 01:52 PM
In all of the comments on the news sites about this article, and all of the conversation I've heard (I grew up in this area and went to school at Hamilton for a year), xellos is the only other person to share the same skepticism of the parents' claims I felt when I first read about this...

Doesn't it seem convenient that the parents reacted so perfectly to his confession? Doesn't it seem odd that the school would deny ever being contacted by them about bullying? Wouldn't there have been obvious evidence that this kid was getting to a point where he was a danger to himself? (i.e. refusing to go to school, tantrums, threats that he'd kill himself if he had to go back, etc.)

I have a hard time believing he went from a straight-A kid who was having bully problems at school to just killing himself without even leaving a note. A 13-year old killing himself in this way takes a perfect storm of completely illogical and irrational things happening.

And I'm not saying it couldn't happen. But what I am seeing is a lot of people jumping to accuse the school of hiding something in what, for now, is a case of they-said/they-said. I'm interested to see where this investigation goes.

Glad that I am not the only one that noticed something fishy. I was beginning to feel like an insensitive prick.

ploto
09-29-2010, 02:03 PM
Glad that I am not the only one that noticed something fishy. I was beginning to feel like an insensitive prick.

You are not the only one. It seems odd that the school would claim the only e-mails they received were about problems at home for the kid unless it was true. It is really easy to produce the e-mails to verify their content.

thispego
09-29-2010, 02:32 PM
One more fishy thing about this is the fact that he had told them he was gay the same day he shot himself. Something tells me something went down in that house.

lol, dude, stop it. you sound like a fool.

xellos88330
09-29-2010, 02:40 PM
lol, dude, stop it. you sound like a fool.

I am not saying his parents shot him lol! After rereading what I posted, I can see how it could be taken that way. I am just saying that whatever it was really sent the kid off the deep end.

JoeChalupa
09-29-2010, 02:51 PM
I'm dealing with bullying right now. My youngest has been tripped several times when getting off the bus. I've called the kids mom and she wasn't too happy with me but this isn't the first time this kid has been a bully to someone. Another kid who rides the same bus has had the same issue. I've told my daughter though that she must stand up for herself or the bullying will continue. Karate kid time.

SpursWoman
09-29-2010, 03:08 PM
I'm dealing with bullying right now. My youngest has been tripped several times when getting off the bus. I've called the kids mom and she wasn't too happy with me but this isn't the first time this kid has been a bully to someone. Another kid who rides the same bus has had the same issue. I've told my daughter though that she must stand up for herself or the bullying will continue. Karate kid time.

My son had this problem when he was in 5th grade. He finally got tired of it and fought back ... and got 5 days at the alternative school.

He's 13 and 5'11" now ... so he's pretty much left alone. Except for the occasional Napoleon-complex little dude that likes to talk crap to the big dude to see if he can push the right button.

Very sad, either way ... but emails shouldn't be hard to produce if they really sent them.

The_Worlds_finest
09-29-2010, 03:10 PM
I believe the proper term for this kid is "an hero".

mrsmaalox
09-29-2010, 03:10 PM

I think it's interesting how school districts hire so many "blind" bus drivers!

You know Joe, we dealt with a similar problem a couple of years ago. I say "we" but really my kids took care of it before I was even aware anything was going on. Some kid on the bus was tripping my youngest and taking his things and playing keep away. My son told my daughter and older son (1 and 3 yrs older than him), and they took it upon themselves to meet the bus at the stop the next day. When my son got off the bus, the 3 of them just stood there and stared down the bully as he walked off the bus and headed home. He has never even glanced at my kid ever again :)

Stringer_Bell
09-29-2010, 03:12 PM

I've never been around bullying other than one kid in the 3rd grade that bullied everyone (and I knew karate but sometimes people are just stronger), but I imagine if I was in the type of environment where weak, quiet kids were getting put down every day and I was one of the bigger, stronger kids - I could prolly make a few extra bucks a day protecting them. Not like extortion, but like "Give me a buck and I'll fuck up that vato if he fucks with you" :p:. I think that's a more profitable business model than bullying gets you. I here good things about kids who get into jui-jitsu, they tear off bully limbs.

Sad story, and details need to be clairified, but the tragedy is that a child took his own life because he thought it was the only way out.

phxspurfan
09-29-2010, 05:27 PM
I think it's interesting how school districts hire so many "blind" bus drivers!

You know Joe, we dealt with a similar problem a couple of years ago. I say "we" but really my kids took care of it before I was even aware anything was going on. Some kid on the bus was tripping my youngest and taking his things and playing keep away. My son told my daughter and older son (1 and 3 yrs older than him), and they took it upon themselves to meet the bus at the stop the next day. When my son got off the bus, the 3 of them just stood there and stared down the bully as he walked off the bus and headed home. He has never even glanced at my kid ever again :)

I'm convinced this always works. My big bro (way more badass than me and 6 years older) did this to a bully of mine when I was in elementary, and I dont ever remember getting messed with again