PDA

View Full Version : Three Captains Quit "Deadlest Catch"

Strike
09-29-2010, 07:59 AM
Link Here. (http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b202929_deadliest_catch_captains_including_sig.htm l?sid=aolpop_news&utm_source=eonline&utm_medium=aolpop&utm_campaign=aolpop_news)

http://images.eonline.com/eol_images/Entire_Site/2010822//300.Johnathan.AndyHillstrand.tg.092210.jpg
Jonathan and Andy Hillstrand have bigger fish to fry now.

The Deadliest Catch stars and captains of the deep-sea power scow Time Bandit, announced Tuesday that they're leaving the hit series after being sued for breach-of-contract by the Discovery Channel.

And they're taking fan favorite Sig Hansen, captain of the Northwestern, along with them.

"We have been through a lot over the past year and unfortunately given the current situation with Discovery we are unable to continue participating in Deadliest Catch," the three crab fishermen said in a joint written statement, first obtained by the Hollywood Reporter.

"It has been a fantastic ride, and we wish the best to all of the amazing and supportive Catch fans we have met over the years."

In response to the lawsuit, Hansen said, "I want people to know the captains stand together, and me and my brothers support them 100 percent."

Discovery says, meanwhile, that its announcement on the status of all three captains is forthcoming.

The network sued the Hillstrand brothers for $3 million, claiming they failed to come through on their promise to shoot a spin-off special, Hillstranded. Cameras rolled during business hours, but Discovery says the crab catchers didn't make time to record voiceovers and otherwise take part in what was needed to round out the production.

Production on season seven of Deadliest Catch is scheduled to start early next month, the beginning of crab season.

While there was obviously a red sky at morning situation as far as the Hillstrands were concerned, Hansen's departure is more of a surprise, despite his statement of solidarity.

The show's sixth season was memorably rocked by the death of Cornelia Marie Capt. Phil Harris.

Read more: http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b202929_deadliest_catch_captains_including_sig.htm l?sid=aolpop_news&utm_source=eonline&utm_medium=aolpop&utm_campaign=aolpop_news#ixzz10vHkQiOB

The Reckoning
09-29-2010, 08:47 AM
the show is dead. thank goodness. i never liked it.

mrsmaalox
09-29-2010, 08:53 AM
I only saw the first couple of seasons, all these guys and Phil were great. But the show has pretty much run it's course anyway and I'm glad they aren't gonna let the Discovery Channel bully them.

tlongII
09-29-2010, 09:10 AM
the show is dead. thank goodness. i never liked it.

WTF dude?! It's a GREAT show! Discovery is being a greedy bitch!

lebomb
09-29-2010, 09:14 AM
I only saw the first couple of seasons, all these guys and Phil were great. But the show has pretty much run it's course anyway and I'm glad they aren't gonna let the Discovery Channel bully them.

I dont see how these guys could walk away from the big money the Discovery Channel was paying them. It seems it would be MORE than worth it considering how dangerous their job is. *shrugs*

coyotes_geek
09-29-2010, 09:17 AM
No Sig + no Hillstrands = no interest for me.

CosmicCowboy
09-29-2010, 11:59 AM
Maybe Discovery Channel will buy their own boats and hire actors to run them. That would be a scream. Kind of like a combination of "Deadliest Catch" and "Wipeout" with the losers getting smashed by runaway crab traps, getting arms cut off in the winches, washing overboard or even sinking....:lmao

Udokafan05
09-29-2010, 12:08 PM
Damn, Sig is the best.

Dex
09-29-2010, 12:17 PM
Yeah, this ship has sailed (pun intended). Without Sig, Phil, or the Hillstrands, they got nothing left. The only thing that is left to tie up is what Phil's boys will do after he passed, but that will probably be a story told on a dying season.

fatsack
09-29-2010, 12:28 PM
a good place to end the series.

4>0rings
09-29-2010, 12:51 PM
I'm glad they aren't gonna let the Discovery Channel bully them.
By making them follow the contract they signed?

mrsmaalox
09-29-2010, 01:25 PM
By making them follow the contract they signed?

Yea I get that point too. And I don't think that the fishermen should get away with it. But they are suing them for 3 million dollars, a drop in the bucket when Discovery brings in 30 million per day. If they didn't honor their contract, then just fire their asses; but it's like they wanna scare them into finishing that series, so that they can keep them around to make even more money off of them.

Sounds like a weak series anyway. Those guys are interesting because of their jobs, who wants to follow along on their everyday lives?

BRHornet45
09-29-2010, 01:42 PM
sons now if we can only get rid of whale wars. I understand the show has a good message, but every episode is the exact same. nothing gets accomplished.

CavsSuperFan
09-29-2010, 01:50 PM
BR you ought to tune in Cake Boss….I know it doesn’t compare to Diana Taurasi but it is pretty exciting….Some guy orders the white chocolate cake & they deliver the white chocolate cake, now the guy wants dark chocolate with vanilla inside & they have to scramble…

ChuckD
09-29-2010, 06:29 PM
The Hillstrands had better catch LOTS of crab, because with no series, I'm guessing that GEICO loses interest in their commmercials too, and fast.

grindmouse
09-29-2010, 07:51 PM
I like how everyone thinks discovery channel is greedy. If not for the discovery channel those smelly crab catching alcoholics would be a bunch of toothless nobody's. They would walk into a bar and would be lucky old 'salty sally' (the resident whore) would give them the time of the day.

You would think after the "Discovery" channel made those cod smelling dick heads mega stars they could at least honor their contracts?

I think if they show reruns in the future they should blur their faces or add black bars. I am sure there are many more crab fishermen out there the show should survive.

BruceBowenFan
10-09-2010, 05:57 PM
http://omg.yahoo.com/news/deadliest-catch-stars-rejoin-series/48659?nc
Well it looks like the captains worked everything out.

ChuckD
10-09-2010, 07:00 PM
http://omg.yahoo.com/news/deadliest-catch-stars-rejoin-series/48659?nc
Well it looks like the captains worked everything out.

What a shock. TDC had the Hillstrands by the balls for breach of contract, and would have ruined them if they didn't agree to finish their spinoff.

Discovery 1
Captains 0