PDA

View Full Version : Which is the best David Lean movie

Unforgivable
09-29-2010, 09:52 PM
?

CubanSucks
09-29-2010, 10:18 PM
How the hell do you not have Lawrence of Arabia? Not having LoA for a David Lean poll is like leaving out 2001 for a Kubrick poll. Guarantee like 90% of people who click on this thread were ready to vote for Lawrence of Arabia

200 miles
09-29-2010, 10:19 PM
My favorite film from one of my favorite filmmakers:

http://www.impawards.com/1962/posters/lawrence_of _arabia.jpg

200 miles
09-29-2010, 10:23 PM
how the hell do you not have lawrence of arabia? Not having loa for a david lean poll is like leaving out 2001 for a kubrick poll. Guarantee like 90% of people who click on this thread were ready to vote for lawrence of arabia

+1

mrsmaalox
09-29-2010, 11:35 PM
Yikes, no Lawrence of Arabia? That would be my favorite, followed by Blithe Spirit. Of the choices in the poll I'd have to say Bridge on the River Kwai.

Winehole23
09-30-2010, 04:53 AM
Lawrence of Arabia, but there's a lot of them I haven't seen.

Recently saw Doctor Zhivago. The cinematography is gorgeous and Omar Sharif's acting is almost totally impassive, but maybe that was by design. It's almost as if inanimate things like houses, landscapes, the alternation of the seasons -- and of course, the relentless musical theme -- carry the all emotional freight.

I ended up liking it a lot in spite of it being a very long, very boring movie.

CuckingFunt
09-30-2010, 08:10 AM
David Lean is one of those directors I appreciate more than enjoy. I can understand why Doctor Zhivago, Lawrence of Arabia, et al are so revered, but I'm in not in any hurry to dedicate much time to multiple viewings. Yawnsville, I'm afraid.

Bipolar Bob
09-30-2010, 08:13 AM
CF, you have a weird view of movies to say the least.

CubanSucks
09-30-2010, 12:16 PM
David Lean is one of those directors I appreciate more than enjoy. I can understand why Doctor Zhivago, Lawrence of Arabia, et al are so revered, but I'm in not in any hurry to dedicate much time to multiple viewings. Yawnsville, I'm afraid.

I understand this kind of thinking and I'm the same much of the time but you really should watch Lawrence of Arabia. It should appeal to most non critical type people

Sportcamper
09-30-2010, 12:21 PM
Lawrence of Arabia...:tu

CuckingFunt
09-30-2010, 12:42 PM
I understand this kind of thinking and I'm the same much of the time but you really should watch Lawrence of Arabia. It should appeal to most non critical type people

Oh, I have seen it. I've seen most of his films, actually. I guess that wasn't clear in my first post.

rjv
09-30-2010, 12:42 PM
bridge on the river kwai. i mean, who can go wrong with obi wan kenobi ?

mrsmaalox
09-30-2010, 12:51 PM
Lawrence of Arabia, but there's a lot of them I haven't seen.

Recently saw Doctor Zhivago. The cinematography is gorgeous and Omar Sharif's acting is almost totally impassive, but maybe that was by design. It's almost as if inanimate things like houses, landscapes, the alternation of the seasons -- and of course, the relentless musical theme -- carry the all emotional freight.

I ended up liking it a lot in spite of it being a very long, very boring movie.

I've never been able to sit through Doctor Zhivago in it's entirety. Tried several times.

Spurminator
09-30-2010, 12:52 PM
I'd also confess that Lawrence of Arabia bored me a bit, but I did really like Dr. Zhivago and Bridge on the River Kwai. I might give Lawrence another shot, since it's been a while.

Sportcamper
09-30-2010, 12:58 PM
I've never been able to sit through Doctor Zhivago in it's entirety. Tried several times.

Doctor Zhivago is a great film but I think it is best to watch the DVD in parts when you have the time….Impossible to sit for 3 hours straight & watch it…

SpursNextRomanEmpire
09-30-2010, 05:15 PM
Bridge on the River Kwai, its one of my favorite movies.