PDA

View Full Version : Wilson Chandler rumored to Spurs

Pages : [1] 2

EduRiker
09-30-2010, 07:33 PM
www.twitter.com/incarceratedbob (http://www.twitter.com/incarceratedbob)

This dude has been right before, so:

"Ok after the Yankess news - I am working on Knicks rumored trade of Wilson Chandler to Spurs - Nothing done yet but man is it getting hot"

"Im gathering all the info i can but right now the Spurs are giving Knicks the option to use them in any Melo deal. Nothing done"

Ginobili2Duncan
09-30-2010, 07:35 PM
Can you trust a dude who calls himself "Incarcerated Bob"?

Leetonidas
09-30-2010, 07:35 PM
Please let this happen

EduRiker
09-30-2010, 07:36 PM

Touche.

8FOR!3
09-30-2010, 07:36 PM
Oh this could get interesting.

But then again, it could be a bunch of crap.

The_Worlds_finest
09-30-2010, 07:42 PM
Just to humor your post. Who would the spurs be giving up? Only thing I could see is Matt Bonner, and then the Spurs do not have a 3 guy.

timtonymanu
09-30-2010, 07:43 PM
Rumor is that it's for a 2011 first round pick.

And as usual I wont believe it till I see it, but that be a pretty damn good deal.

crc21209
09-30-2010, 07:44 PM

And as usual I wont believe it till I see it, but that be a pretty damn good deal.

:wow WOW...that would be a STEAL if that were to happen.

sananspursfan21
Just to humor your post. Who would the spurs be giving up? Only thing I could see is Matt Bonner, and then the Spurs do not have a 3 guy.

do the salaries matchup? bonner signed an overpriced deal this summer and all

Seventyniner

I just read on Hoopshype that the Knicks were trying to acquire a 2011 first-rounder to try and pry Carmelo away from the Nuggets. I guess it would be the Spurs' in this deal?

HarlemHeat37
The buzz around here is that the rumored deal is the Spurs sending a 1st round pick in the deal, and getting Chandler back in return..the proposed 3-way deal would also send a few more pieces to Denver, including Gallo and Randolph..

However, Incarcerated Bob is usually wrong, he's only been correct a few times out of the many predictions/reports he has made..he's a pretty shitty source..

HarlemHeat37
09-30-2010, 07:47 PM
After looking it up, it looks like Chris Sheridan is reporting this as well, so it might have some validity to it..he didn't name the Spurs, but he says the Knicks have found a 1st round pick to partner up with..

slick'81
09-30-2010, 07:47 PM
would be great theres your sf but where does he fit with rj?!

8FOR!3
09-30-2010, 07:48 PM
If the Spurs sent a first for Wilson Chandler holy shit, best steal since Gasol trade.

SenorSpur
09-30-2010, 07:49 PM
Since the Kurt Thomas trade, I've been adamantly opposed to the Spurs "burning" their 1st round picks. However in this case, it would be for a younger player. I know the Knicks would be all over this - seeing as how they've given away most of their picks for the next half-decade in any number of failed trades. Besides, it makes sense for the Knicks since they want to pry Carmelo away from the Nuggets by this Feb.

I like Chandler and think he'd fit in perfectly with the Spurs. Get it done.

ducks
09-30-2010, 07:51 PM
this would rock

crc21209
09-30-2010, 07:51 PM
After looking it up, it looks like Chris Sheridan is reporting this as well, so it might have some validity to it..he didn't name the Spurs, but he says the Knicks have found a 1st round pick to partner up with..

Just saw that too.

From Chris Sheridans Twitter:

Source tells me the NY Knicks have a deal available to acquire a No. 1 draft pick in 2011 for use in a C.Anthony trade, if talks revived.

http://twitter.com/CSheridanESPN/status/26000702846

crc21209
09-30-2010, 07:52 PM
if the spurs sent a first for wilson chandler holy shit, best steal since gasol trade.

+1

crc21209
would be great theres your sf but where does he fit with rj?!

Who cares, let em fight it out for the starting spot. :lol

Ginobili2Duncan
This is interesting. But, I wonder where Chandler will fit in the rotation.

HarlemHeat37
09-30-2010, 07:53 PM
I love Ill Will, I don't know how he would fit here, but I'd be all for it..

He has the potential to be a great defender, he has enough size to occasionally play small ball PF, he's a good 1 on 1 scorer, above average post up player, good p&r player, good cutter, great rebounder for his position..

His problem is obviously that he's a terrible shooter, even worse than Jefferson, so I'm not sure how that would work..getting Chandler would mean more Bonner IMo..

I don't think this deal is going to happen though, it's the same old shit..

Amuseddaysleeper
This would be amazing if true. Good call by SenorSpur. Like you, I used to get annoyed as well when the Spurs gave up first round draft picks but now they seem to have a solid youth foundation to build on. Chandler fits that perfectly. We need a backup sf, but I don't think anyone on the roster will fit that bill barring a trade.

This could be it.

timtonymanu
Exactly. The Spurs would be trading youth for youth. Chandler can start too so if RJ isnt working out, he could move to the bench. But what will this mean for Simmons and Gee? Quite honestly, Gee's spot is less safe but I hope Gee stays.

Maybe this is why Gardner was waived so quickly so the Spurs could make room for Chandler.

I wont believe it though until I see a link from ace3g/Spurs Brazil/228 and a paragraph summary of Chandler's game/fit from timvp.

ducks
then you trade rj for a pile of dogshit

EduRiker
09-30-2010, 07:54 PM
@alanhahn (http://twitter.com/#%21/alanhahn)
Alan Hahn
From what I understand, there is no actual trade for a first. There are scenarios in which the Knicks know they can get one if they need to.

crc21209
09-30-2010, 07:56 PM
@alanhahn (http://twitter.com/#%21/alanhahn)
Alan Hahn
From what I understand, there is no actual trade for a first. There are scenarios in which the Knicks know they can get one if they need to.

CIA Pop....:lol

HarlemHeat37
09-30-2010, 08:00 PM
We'll see what my man Trill Clinton has to say about this..

crc21209
09-30-2010, 08:02 PM
We'll see what my man Trill Clinton has to say about this..

Get on it now! :lol

timvp
09-30-2010, 08:02 PM
Meh, I'm not very high on the Spurs giving the Knicks a first rounder for Chandler. I like Chandler but he wouldn't be a very good fit. He's not much of an outside shooter and scores in situations he wouldn't get on the Spurs (isos, fast breaks, hanging around the basket). Slice his scoring opportunities and is he really worth a first round pick? He'd have to become a much better defender.

If the Spurs would have let RJ and/or Bonner walk, I'd be all for it. With those two in the fold for the foreseeable future, where are the minutes? He's a quantity over quality type player. Without the skillset to play a specific role in the Spurs system, I'm afraid it'd just be another RJ-esque awkward fit.

Ginobili2Duncan
09-30-2010, 08:04 PM
I wanted Corey Brewer and Ebanks a month ago. If the Spurs acquire Chandler I would be a happy camper.

Russ
09-30-2010, 08:05 PM
There are so many guys I've barely heard of who are good -- this is just one more.

Do the Spurs see some Bowen in this guy?

Do the Knicks see the Spurs demise creating value in their 2011 1st round pick?

Does anyone see anything in Matt Bonner?

Chandler for Bonner would just cement the Knicks as one of the worst organizations of all time. Too good to be true.

I'd do the 1st round deal in a heartbeat. The future is now.

crc21209
09-30-2010, 08:06 PM
Meh, I'm not very high on the Spurs giving the Knicks a first rounder for Chandler. I like Chandler but he wouldn't be a very good fit. He's not much of an outside shooter and scores in situations he wouldn't get on the Spurs (isos, fast breaks, hanging around the basket). Slice his scoring opportunities and is he really worth a first round pick? He'd have to become a much better defender.

If the Spurs would have let RJ and/or Bonner walk, I'd be all for it. With those two in the fold for the foreseeable future, where are the minutes? He's a quantity over quality type player. Without the skillset to play a specific role in the Spurs system, I'm afraid it'd just be another RJ-esque awkward fit.

Maybe they think they can mold him into a defensive force?

Ginobili2Duncan
09-30-2010, 08:09 PM

He is only 23. He also has outstanding potential as a defender and he will add athleticism on the perimeter.

TimDunkem
09-30-2010, 08:11 PM
Yeah, it doesn't matter until he puts it together, but there are not many players in the league with the defensive potential of Chandler.

crc21209
09-30-2010, 08:11 PM
He is only 23. He also has outstanding potential as a defender and he will add athleticism on the perimeter.

Athleticism for sure. Can you imagine a small-ball unit of TP, Hill, Manu/RJ, Chandler, and TD?

bigdog
09-30-2010, 08:28 PM
Big fan of Chandler. Won't believe it til I see it though.

benefactor
09-30-2010, 08:38 PM
The big difference in the RJ comparison is that Chandler is young and has tons of untapped potential. He has already shown that his can play in this league now he just needs some molding. If one looks at this move in the present, then sure, he looks like an awkward fit. But in regards to the fast approaching post-Duncan era, this is a solid move.

Ditty
09-30-2010, 08:40 PM
I would love the spurs to get martell webster instead for a 1st rounder

Chieflion
09-30-2010, 08:45 PM
Am I the only one who thinks the Knicks can't wait to dump Wilson Chandler for anything? He is on the last year of his rookie contract, will get overpaid. The Knicks would not want to match because they want cap space for 2011 and 2012. They already have Danilo Gallinari playing his position. Wilson Chandler is the odd man out in the Knicks rotation. He doesn't fit the Knicks system because his 3 point shot sucks. Yes, he is cheap this year, but he will cost a lot more in the future. If the Knicks are getting Carmelo Anthony, all the more reason to trade Wilson Chandler now, they can't wait to dump him.

On a basketball viewpoint, all this is good for the Spurs because he is a legit backup 3, and sometimes 2. However, from a financial standpoint, as I have stated, he is up for a new contract. If the Spurs are not willing to commit to him on a long term basis, they are just swapping their first round pick for a one year rental. Yes, although the pick will be a late pick, last I checked from my research, there will be a bunch of SFs waiting to be picked in the 1st round. A 1st round pick can be traded, with packaged with someone else for someone who could or is better than Wilson Chandler, if the Spurs are not willing to commit to a middling player like Wilson Chandler.

DPG21920
09-30-2010, 08:45 PM
The Spurs first round pick would be a crap shot at best anyways outside of the lottery. The Spurs have to get someone with legit size/defensive potential for the perimeter. Chandler, while not a glowing offensive player, can do offensively what RJ can with a much, much higher ceiling on defense for just a fraction of the cost.

You can't pass up on a deal like this imo just because of RJ's contract.

SenorSpur
09-30-2010, 08:55 PM
The interest in Chandler does make a lot of sense. From reading the various quotes from both Pop and RC, coming out of the first days of camp, it seems they are "hell bent" on finding a young SF who can defend. The options they have now don't seem too tantalizing.

RJ seems to have lead feet, poor defensive fundamentals and declining athleticism. Gee, while a keeper for the future, has yet to prove he can defend and is probably a year away from cracking the regular rotation. Simmons is in mid-career and, as a defender, is a virtual unknown. He certainly isn't a lock to make the team. Gist is an unproven enigma and is also probably a year away - if he makes the team at all.

All that said, I can certainly understand why they'd be hot after Chandler Sure he doesn't spread the floor with his shooting, but he's young and could still develop in that area.

edgar
09-30-2010, 09:05 PM
Is this gonna go down tonight or is this an option the knicks are only reviewing if the thuggets are to trade melo to them?

timtonymanu
09-30-2010, 09:09 PM
Is this gonna go down tonight or is this an option the knicks are only reviewing if the thuggets are to trade melo to them?

IMO, it will either take days or never even happen.

TD 21
09-30-2010, 09:11 PM
Am I the only one who thinks the Knicks can't wait to dump Wilson Chandler for anything? He is on the last year of his rookie contract, will get overpaid. The Knicks would not want to match because they want cap space for 2011 and 2012. They already have Danilo Gallinari playing his position. Wilson Chandler is the odd man out in the Knicks rotation. He doesn't fit the Knicks system because his 3 point shot sucks. Yes, he is cheap this year, but he will cost a lot more in the future. If the Knicks are getting Carmelo Anthony, all the more reason to trade Wilson Chandler now, they can't wait to dump him.

On a basketball viewpoint, all this is good for the Spurs because he is a legit backup 3, and sometimes 2. However, from a financial standpoint, as I have stated, he is up for a new contract. If the Spurs are not willing to commit to him on a long term basis, they are just swapping their first round pick for a one year rental. Yes, although the pick will be a late pick, last I checked from my research, there will be a bunch of SFs waiting to be picked in the 1st round. A 1st round pick can be traded, with packaged with someone else for someone who could or is better than Wilson Chandler, if the Spurs are not willing to commit to a middling player like Wilson Chandler.

No, you're not the only one.

He'd get overpaid if he spent another season playing 33 mpg and being one of the three best players on a joke team. But he wouldn't be playing that much or be that on the Spurs, meaning they could probably get him re-signed at a reasonable number, particularly with the new CBA on the way.

Chandler is not a two. He's a three/four. The Knicks had used him a lot at two in recent seasons because they didn't have a better option.

Can't see the Spurs doing that. If this deal went down, they'd presumably view him as a long term answer to their backup three/small ball four/defensive stopper question marks. Potentially in a few years time, if he's clear cut better than Jefferson, he could even become the starter. He may not be a great fit offensively, but he's a better option than Simmons/Gee and he fits with getting younger and more athletic, while at the same time being capable of helping now, unlike some SF prospect in next year's draft (chances are they Spurs wouldn't be able to get a better SF prospect picking in the 20s than Chandler). Also, he'd give the Spurs one quality prospect at every position.

If this were a three team trade and the Knicks acquired Anthony, the Spurs would be taking quite possibly their biggest threat to losing Parker out of the mix for his services.

duncan228
09-30-2010, 09:12 PM
How long has he been in the NBA?

Drafted in 2007.

ChuckD
09-30-2010, 09:13 PM
It's scary how much of a stronger Ariza clone WC is. They even have close to the same number of games player through 3 seasons.

HarlemHeat37
09-30-2010, 09:20 PM
:lol Reading Chief's post about Will's potential long-term prospects just reminded me of the contract Jefferson received :lol..if the Spurs got Chandler, the Jefferson deal looks even worse..

Obstructed_View
09-30-2010, 09:28 PM
How valuable would that expiring contract have been...

The upside is if the Spurs do something like that, they're building a pretty solid team and can possibly entice Parker to stay around. Sort of ironic if one of those pieces comes from New York.

kbrury
09-30-2010, 09:29 PM
:lol Reading Chief's post about Will's potential long-term prospects just reminded me of the contract Jefferson received :lol..if the Spurs got Chandler, the Jefferson deal looks even worse..

:bang

benefactor
09-30-2010, 09:30 PM
I can see it now....

Spurs get Chandler for a 1st

Chandler shows some potential

Spurs try to re-sign him

He signs an offer sheet with another team that the Spurs don't match

RJ chuckles, while counting the 9.2 million he will make that season

:lmao

:hang

benefactor
09-30-2010, 09:32 PM
I will need someone to re-explain to me how RJ contract is not going to hurt the Spurs from a future standpoint.

ohmwrecker
09-30-2010, 09:32 PM
Better than Bobby Simmons . . .

kobyz
09-30-2010, 09:35 PM
it's a No brainer for us, even if Chandler not the greatest fit he is still well worth a late first round pick!

Obstructed_View
09-30-2010, 09:42 PM
I will need someone to re-explain to me how RJ contract is not going to hurt the Spurs from a future standpoint.

Nobody has ever explained that, what they do is tell you how it's not that much more money and that you should be happy that the Spurs spent ten million dollars over three more years to have him here.

TD 21
09-30-2010, 09:45 PM
On second thought, I'll exchange possibly for probably in "probably be able to get him re-signed at a reasonable number".

Forgot about the Cavs, who have a gaping hole at SF, are going up-tempo, will have loads of cap space, be eager to sign anyone credible and like the Nets this past off season, more than likely won't be able to attract a star, so they'll end up overpaying for a second tier young player. Chandler fits the bill.

I still think it's a worthwhile trade for the Spurs, though.

ElNono
09-30-2010, 10:00 PM
If the deal is available, you take it. You deal with the next off-season then.
You could even pull a sign & trade if he decides to go somewhere else at that point, and get something in return. There's plenty of scenarios there.

09-30-2010, 10:08 PM
chandler for a first pick is better than anything the spurs will draft next year in the mid to late rounds. he's still young too and could become useful some time down the road. might as well acquire him now and sort it out later.

TimDunkem
09-30-2010, 10:08 PM
I really hope this happens...

The_Worlds_finest
09-30-2010, 10:15 PM
Knicks are giving up?
Eddy Cury,Roger Mason(:lol), toney douglass,the spurs pick, their pick, I could see this happening.

JR3
09-30-2010, 10:50 PM
Hope this works out. I would do it in a second.. I would trade bonner for chandler.

OrEmuN
09-30-2010, 10:51 PM
This is a piece of exciting and good news. Chandler can potentially be the defensive stopper we need but without the 3 pt shot. In any case, Chandler will not be needed in terms of offense anyway. If we play Chandler in the 2nd unit with Manu, Chandler just score off cuts to the basket with Manu's vision. Neal/Anderson to space the floor with their 3 pt.

There is some concerns with this trade being potentially a one-year rental. However, that is fine. If he doesn't fit, we can trade him at deadline. If he fits and help the Spurs to get the 5th ring, I think that Spurs owner should have no problem deeping into lux tax for one more year

JR3
09-30-2010, 10:56 PM
I don't think we will know anything for a few days... sounds like the melo trade is in it's building stages.

8FOR!3
09-30-2010, 10:57 PM
Wake me up when October ends...

ace3g
09-30-2010, 10:58 PM
Chandler isn't a offensive juggernaut; but he can hit a good amount of 3s and add up the steals/blocks stat line (I had him on my fantasy team before he hurt his foot).

DPG21920
09-30-2010, 11:14 PM
The way I look at it is, even though the Spurs usually do well with their draft picks, occasionally you have to take some risks if you want to win now. While giving up a first rounder for a player with a questionable skill set/fit is somewhat risky, the upside is pretty good.

1) Cheap contract, so you don't have to give up anything major this moment.

2) Even though you are giving up a first round pick, you are getting a young player. So not only are you helping your chances to win now, you get some good return for the future as well.

3) Not only is the player young, but he has many of the tools the team needs and that we know the team is looking for.

4) His upside is enough to where in my opinion, you are getting a pretty good return on a risky investment (draft picks).

5) It is a low risk move because even if he does not work out, he is an expiring contract.

Taking all of that into consideration, I think it is worth while, even if he turns out to be a less talented version of RJ 2.0 fit wise.

coachmac87
10-01-2010, 12:21 AM
I just don't see the Spurs giving up a 1st rd pick for a 1yr rental. Please tell me how that makes any sense?

Flux451
10-01-2010, 12:33 AM
talk bout defensive upgrade. how can anyone not want that for a Spurs team that has lost its step defensively?

DeadlyDynasty
10-01-2010, 12:36 AM

Incarcerated Bob is a degenerate gambler, but he does have a decent track record when it comes to getting the beat on NY sports insider info b4 the main sources get it. I post on a NY Jets forum and they reference his tweets a lot. It's on his twitter that they first heard the news of Revis ending his holdout as well as other info. Sounds like bullshit, but he's been known to be a legit source, fyi...

SenorSpur
10-01-2010, 01:14 AM
The book on Chandler:

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/players/24252/Wilson_Chandler

Scouting Report
Assets: Mixes good size and athleticism with coordination and a solid skill-level. Can play anywhere from shooting guard to power forward. Does it all, from blocking shots to hitting threes.

Flaws: A bit inconsistent and doesn't stand out in any one area. While he can score like a shooting guard and rebound like a power forward he might benefit by establishing a more clear role.

Career Potential: Above-average swingman.

Chieflion
10-01-2010, 01:26 AM
The book on Chandler:

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/players/24252/Wilson_Chandler

Scouting Report
Assets: Mixes good size and athleticism with coordination and a solid skill-level. Can play anywhere from shooting guard to power forward. Does it all, from blocking shots to hitting threes.

Flaws: A bit inconsistent and doesn't stand out in any one area. While he can score like a shooting guard and rebound like a power forward he might benefit by establishing a more clear role.

Career Potential: Above-average swingman.

First of all, he can't hit 3s consistently. Shooting a career best 32.8% in 2009 is not hitting 3s. I call it bricking. In the 2009-2010 season, he shot 26.7%. That's building a house. His rebounding percentage has also dropped since his rookie season.

He only improved his overall efficiency from the field and free throw percentage while declining in many other areas like defense, rebounding, 3 point shooting. He could be a very good NBA player if he kept up the effort in defense and rebounding his 1st 2 years but he has been contaminated by Mike D'antoni and declined in those key aspects of the game, all while sucking from 3.

So now, he can't rebound like a power forward nor score like an average shooting guard. Last I checked, a shooting guard can hit 3s at a somewhat efficient level. This guy can't.

I feel like I wrote this post for a certain Spur by the name of Richard Jefferson before.

slick'81
10-01-2010, 01:27 AM
agreed the more i think of it the more wilson and rj are eerily similar minus the age of course thats a no brainer but in terms of skill set

duhoh
10-01-2010, 01:37 AM
I would love the spurs to get martell webster instead for a 1st rounder

i would love that. for the longest time i envied portland's deep wings, but seeing how they don't have outlaw or webster anymore. . .

chandler would be a nice change. teach that kid some D, and he can be a cheaper version of ariza

ChumpDumper
10-01-2010, 02:00 AM
So who is going to be traded for him?

Doesn't look like we'd just pile his salary onto the others, but we'll see.

mingus
10-01-2010, 02:21 AM
I think Anderson will end up playing the back up 3.

Parker/Hill
Manu/Hill/Anderson
RJ/Anderson

10-01-2010, 02:45 AM
if the spurs are willing to give chandler a long term contract, they can mold him into a trevor ariza who can play both the 3 and 4. could be highly useful against bryant, artest, AND odom. good addition if the spurs can get him.

JustinJDW
10-01-2010, 02:53 AM
This is a no-brainer for us. Wilson Chandler is better than anyone we could possibly get next year in the draft. He is a real Small Forward, not an undersized SF/SG. He would make our Bench better and add Depth to our roster. Plus he is entirely low risk because his contract expires after this Season.

C: Tiago Splitter - Antonio McDyess
PF: Tim Duncan - Dejuan Blair - Matt Bonner
SF: Richard Jefferson - Wilson Chandler
SG: Manu Ginobili - James Anderson
PG: Tony Parker - George Hill - Garrett Temple

I like. :)

The Btown Spur
10-01-2010, 03:05 AM
its a very short term move which is fine if we really think this year is our last chance with this core which could be true especially if next year is a lock out taking a year away from duncan/ginobili. this could be a smart move considering our 1st rounder wouldnt even play until the year after he was drafted

Leonard Curse
10-01-2010, 04:05 AM
I can see it now....

Spurs try to re-sign him

listen debbie downer :(
you think the spurs would sign a guy that wouldnt verbally commit long term?? were not trading minds with the knicks were trading players/assets. give pop a lil credit

Leonard Curse
10-01-2010, 04:14 AM
this kid is blowing up this past year in one game he scored 35 freaking points!!! in one game he also had 17 rebounds!! in another game he had 3 steals in one game about 7 different times hes also had 4 blocks in two different occasions, i mean hes just oozing with potential and dont forget he 6'8''!!!! thats a dream for a defensive SF!!

chieflion is right, about some of his stuff declining but the areas where hes increasing is major like EFF and FREETHROWS i know for a fact he will get better here with pop and chip. like chieflion said mike D is ruining him there but if we nourish him on the defensive end and he learns frm our team he can only get better !!!

theres no Q this is a great move for our future and NOW plus i doubt we get anyone good nxt year weve had too much good luck in the draft as of late haha

mountainballer
10-01-2010, 04:43 AM
no brainer IMO.
and a very good move when working on the post Duncan era.
Spurs are missing just one player to complete a pretty nicely balanced line up, that could be the core for many years to come.
Hill (24) - Anderson (21) - Chandler (23) - Blair (21) - Splitter (25)
to me this looks like a plan!
if Hill can further develop his good shooting and Anderson is as good a shooter as we hope, it won't hurt that much if Chandler never becomes a reliable 3pt shooter. (as long as he plays above average defense of course)
this line up would also provide a nice mix of skills in other areas.
size: with the exception of Blair, good size for all positions.
defense: Hill, Chandler and hopefully Splitter should/could be above average, Hill and Chandler could form a perimeter force one day.
inside scoring: Blair and Splitter will be pretty good there.
rebounding: Blair is, Chandler could be above average, the others are decent.
athleticism: Chandler and Hill are good/great athletes, Anderson might be better than given credit, Tiago is at least decent, thanks to his mobility and footwork.
versatility: the option to play Chandler at PF and plug in a 2nd guard as shooter/ball handler (Neal?, De Colo?) opens nice scenarios for the small ball game.

overall giving up the 2011 1st rounder is more than worth to take the mentioned risks. Chandler might not be the perfect fit to solve the back up SF issue for the next season, but IMO he is a very good fit for the future. and therefore it is also worth to take the risk that he will be a RFA next summer. (btw. next season he wouldn't get a role with the Spurs that allows him to push his value to an unrealistic level.)

Ditty
10-01-2010, 04:59 AM
i would love that. for the longest time i envied portland's deep wings, but seeing how they don't have outlaw or webster anymore. . .

chandler would be a nice change. teach that kid some D, and he can be a cheaper version of ariza

Well he's stuck in minnesota and there stacked with wings and fowards but no big guys and minnesota always loves 1st round picks I don't know why spurs just trade for webster he can shoot 3 I don't know about his defense though

BG_Spurs_Fan
10-01-2010, 05:51 AM
I can see it now....

Spurs try to re-sign him

oh look...the glass is half empty!

Bruno
10-01-2010, 05:55 AM
My main problem with Chandler is his contract. He is a FA this summer and will Spurs be able to match other teams offers?
On top of that, Chandler has a poor jumpshot and is injury prone. At the end I don't know if a likely 1 year rental of Chandler is worth a first round pick.

Another question is how Spurs would do to match salaries?
Chandler for Jerrells+Temple+Gee+1st would work but it would also put Spurs above the tax.
Azubuike+Chandler for Dice+1st would work and let Spurs below the tax but Spurs would be very thin in the paint.
It could be something more complicate with other teams involved.

yavozerb
10-01-2010, 06:58 AM
My main problem with Chandler is his contract. He is a FA this summer and will Spurs be able to match other teams offers?
On top of that, Chandler has a poor jumpshot and is injury prone. At the end I don't know if a likely 1 year rental of Chandler is worth a first round pick.

Chandler for Jerrells+Temple+Gee+1st would work but it would also put Spurs above the tax.
Azubuike+Chandler for Dice+1st would work and let Spurs below the tax but Spurs would be very thin in the paint.

Not sure if it would involve two teams or maybe more than 2 to complete the melo the NYK..The odds are way stacked against the spurs making a move such as this and I believe chandler would have to re-sign a contract before such a trade (which also a longshot).

Leonard Curse
10-01-2010, 07:04 AM

bruno good point but i dont think people realize how big of a role dice is to our team like it or not esp now that tiago has plantar fasc. hes way to important to let go

Leonard Curse
10-01-2010, 07:10 AM
i started to think maybe pop is quick to pull the trigger because it kills 2 birds with one stone!!

1. w/the trade it immediately makes the west weaker & increases our chances of winning the west

2. while we get a future good sf prospect w/great height and capble D allowing j.anderson to play his natural pos.

will_spurs
10-01-2010, 07:23 AM
esp now that tiago has plantar fasc.

You should drop whatever it is you're smoking and pick up punctuation instead :downspin:

mountainballer
10-01-2010, 07:40 AM

the acquisition of the Spurs 1st rounder at this point only makes sense for the Knicks, if it helps them to get a deal done (Melo). so it would be a 3 teams, like even more teams deal.
(btw. a straight deal that keeps us below the threshold and get back a big could be Dice, Gee, Jerrels +1st for Chandler + Turiaf)
does the fact that he is a RFA bother me? not really. RFA isn't a bad situation for any team and usually an easy choice. and if he isn't a fit, it's better to get rid of him sooner than later. at least he already proved he can be a NBA player, that's something no 1st round pick can guarantee you. (Anderson included). assuming Spurs would pick 22-26, the chance isn't better than 50% to get a better player than Chandler, so this logic would tell to pick him.
(I know that there would likely be some intriguing SFs in the 2011 class, namely Elias Harris, but history taught us that the SFs we would like are gone at the point when we pick)

injury prone?
he missed 17 games last season due to a groin injury. I wouldn't call him Injury prone for that.

Ditty
10-01-2010, 07:40 AM
I just don't see the Spurs giving up a 1st rd pick for a 1yr rental. Please tell me how that makes any sense?

Well I'm pretty sure spurs have something set up to give him some sort of contract extension but when you look up this years draft I don't really see it as deep as last years or many small foward prospects...chandler would be perfect and my second choice to trade for besides webster

mountainballer
10-01-2010, 08:13 AM
there are legit pros and cons about the Chandler trade (as it is about almost any trade).
but what I absolutely don't understand is, why the most obvious questions are ignored.
#1: what has the higher impact for the 2010-11 season, Chandler or the 2011 pick?
#2: how many more years is the so called window open? (Tony himself said it's just one)
#3: how many other deals for a young SF, who happens to be a good defender do the Spurs have in place?
#4: which of the Spurs off season goals (as RC mentioned them in his interview) are not yet achieved.

I guess that should be easy to answer.
however, I don't want to claim Chandler was special. far from that. but if he did have a 3pt shot, he wasn't on the market for a late 1st rounder.
what he does have, is far above average athleticism (what Spurs lack), great size for SF (what the Spurs lack either outside RJ), the option to be used as small ball PF (an option the Spurs don't have b/c RJ isn't one) and most of all, he is a better perimeter defender (at least considering his potential) than any other player currently on the roster.

so yes, I would even sacrifice the 1st rounder, if we would lose Chandler next summer. (Spurs have a nice young nucleus in place that makes it expendable IMO)

but! we do have the chance to find out that Chandler is exactly what the team needs for the future AND we might also find out that we don 't need to overpay for him. such things happen. but they only happen if you do take the chance in the first place.
(btw. who would have ever thought we get Splitter for that kind of money?)

TimmehC
10-01-2010, 08:39 AM
Can we go ahead and make this happen?

Chieflion
10-01-2010, 08:45 AM
there are legit pros and cons about the Chandler trade (as it is about almost any trade).
but what I absolutely don't understand is, why the most obvious questions are ignored.
#1: what has the higher impact for the 2010-11 season, Chandler or the 2011 pick?
#2: how many more years is the so called window open? (Tony himself said it's just one)
#3: how many other deals for a young SF, who happens to be a good defender do the Spurs have in place?
#4: which of the Spurs off season goals (as RC mentioned them in his interview) are not yet achieved.

I guess that should be easy to answer.
however, I don't want to claim Chandler was special. far from that. but if he did have a 3pt shot, he wasn't on the market for a late 1st rounder.
what he does have, is far above average athleticism (what Spurs lack), great size for SF (what the Spurs lack either outside RJ), the option to be used as small ball PF (an option the Spurs don't have b/c RJ isn't one) and most of all, he is a better perimeter defender (at least considering his potential) than any other player currently on the roster.

so yes, I would even sacrifice the 1st rounder, if we would lose Chandler next summer. (Spurs have a nice young nucleus in place that makes it expendable IMO)

but! we do have the chance to find out that Chandler is exactly what the team needs for the future AND we might also find out that we don 't need to overpay for him. such things happen. but they only happen if you do take the chance in the first place.
(btw. who would have ever thought we get Splitter for that kind of money?)

These obvious questions are ignored because they have the most obvious answers and everyone agrees with them. I will just say that Wilson Chandler is over hyped as a defender and he has absolutely no experience playing in a structured offense, where his skills as an open court player would be absolutely minimized. What the Spurs would be doing is to bring him in as a one year rental, see whether he works, if he doesn't, then the Spurs lose the 1st round pick for absolutely no return and of course he financial risk of going past the luxury tax, which the Spurs, this off-season have shown almost no interest of going over. I will all be for the deal if the Spurs are 100% willing to commit to Wilson Chandler long term if he perofrms at an optinum level.

Your point is legit, yes, Wilson Chandler would definitely help more because he is somebody replacing nobody at the open backup SF/PF spot. Yes, I realize that he is one of my dream SF/PF tweeners. I also realize his limitations as a shooter, although he is 37.2% from the corner, he shoots better at the right corner at 43.5%. His declining hustle (offensive and defensive rebounds) and defensive stats (steals and blocks) since his rookie season also troubles me.

I do like his increasing efficiency every year (TS% and PER), due to free throw percentage and field goal percentage. The Spurs have already committed to Richard Jefferson long term (Damn it) and a Richard Jefferson clone like Wilson Chandler (they are too eerily similar in terms of impact), but without a 3 point shot, will cause the team from a financial standpoint, it is not my money, it is none of my concern, I am just showing you the aspects of things here.

You mentioned his defensive potential, which I agree was not realized yet, I know why it might change in San Antonio as opposed to New York because of the different system.

Another note to the posters here who are unaware, this deal may already have been completed, but Donnie Walsh is not such a douchebag to send his players packing from Italy (yes, they are in Italy for training camp and buisness trip) all the way back to the USA to complete the trade. Walsh has a good reputation in the league when it comes to treating his players well and would do nothing to tarnish that. He is going to wait until the trip is over before he will announce the trade if it was already in place. There was also rumors (heard it form Knicks board on RealGM) that Wilson Chandler was held back in practice.

Overall, I like the trade (if it is true), but it isn't as big as a steal as most here thought it would be. Usually, teams don't trade a 1st round pick for an expiring contract, an average player like Wilson Chandler.

Obstructed_View
10-01-2010, 08:57 AM

There's this window. When you look through it, you see Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili. Then you notice that window is nearly closed.

TDMVPDPOY
10-01-2010, 09:44 AM
wat happens if we give up that 1st round pick

then tp decides to bolt end of teh season?

whose backup for ghill at pg?

Maddog
10-01-2010, 09:52 AM

Van Exel and Damon Stoudamire are available

Bruno
10-01-2010, 10:11 AM
the acquisition of the Spurs 1st rounder at this point only makes sense for the Knicks, if it helps them to get a deal done (Melo). so it would be a 3 teams, like even more teams deal.
(btw. a straight deal that keeps us below the threshold and get back a big could be Dice, Gee, Jerrels +1st for Chandler + Turiaf)

The problem I have with Turiaf is that he has a $4.36M PO for 2011-2012. If he picks him, Spurs would have even more financial troubles for re-signing Chandler.

injury prone?
he missed 17 games last season due to a groin injury. I wouldn't call him Injury prone for that.

The problem is with his left ankle. He has had surgeries during the past 2 off-seasons to fix it.

mudyez
10-01-2010, 10:12 AM

Whats de Colo's status?

i like him for us!

Ginobili2Duncan
10-01-2010, 10:25 AM
Most of the players in this year's draft class may just elect to stay in school with the chance of a lockout next season. So there is a good chance that this year's draft pick might be useless.

lmbebo
10-01-2010, 10:43 AM
getting Turiaf would be great. Would lose Dice's outside shooting and smarts (if he were involved).

Turiaf would give us a solid shot blocker and defensive presence.

SenorSpur
10-01-2010, 10:43 AM
Some additional thoughts on the potential acquisition of Chandler. We all know that the Spurs have been needing/wanting a long rookie SF for several seasons now - even dating back to the last couple of seasons of the Bowen era. During that time, there have been several attempts at failed attempts - including their failed attempt to nab Nicolas Batum in the 2008 NBA draft. As much as I love George Hill, he's been an emergeing young player, with a wonderful future. However, a combo guard is a luxury, and not what the Spurs have been needing. Instead a young, defensive-minded, athletic, SF has been needed.

If Chandler is the best and most current solution for that role, and only costs a first round pick, I say go get him. And I am one who despises burning 1st round picks, but this is a need the Spurs absolutely MUST fill. The Spurs can worry about his contract situation this summer. By then, I'm sure they'll have had time to formulate a long-term plan for that position. Furthermore, Chandler has enough NBA experience to be able to contribute more than a possible 2011 first round pick.

Because he's currently playing for a bad team, a run-and-gun coach, and a poor organization, I would bet that Chandler hasn't nearly optimized half of his obvious talents. In terms of defensive skills and ability, he's light years ahead of any perimeter player the Spurs have on their roster now. Also, he has significantly more untapped potential and upside to his all-around game, which would make him a good future investment. With Pop at the helm and the stability of the Spurs structure, I believe he would flourish more in the Spurs system. With more summer work, there's still time for him to develop his long-ball.

Besides all that, a possible future SF rotation of Chandler and Gee is very tempting.

8FOR!3
10-01-2010, 11:43 AM
It'd suck to have to get rid of McDyess along with the first, but it'd be worth it for Chandler. You can always go out and get a 5th big to be playing 5-10 minutes at PF and C, but you're going to have a much harder time finding a backup SF that can play anywhere near the level of Chandler.

yavozerb
10-01-2010, 12:24 PM
It'd suck to have to get rid of McDyess along with the first, but it'd be worth it for Chandler. You can always go out and get a 5th big to be playing 5-10 minutes at PF and C, but you're going to have a much harder time finding a backup SF that can play anywhere near the level of Chandler.

Do you really believe Mcdyess is the spurs 5th big? If the spurs want to win this season then Mcdyess needs to be on this team. I am all for trading for Chandler, but in no way do I give up anything other than a 1st and waste contracts (ie. Gee,Jerrells,etc)

lefty
10-01-2010, 12:28 PM
The problem I have with Turiaf is that he has a $4.36M PO for 2011-2012. If he picks him, Spurs would have even more financial troubles for re-signing Chandler.

The problem is with his left ankle. He has had surgeries during the past 2 off-seasons to fix it.
Add to that the fact that McDyess did a very good Defensive job on Odom and Nowitzki last season.
He is the only current Spu who matches up well defensively against those 2.

TDMVPDPOY
10-01-2010, 12:33 PM
even if turiaf picks up the PO

i thought mcdyess contract runs out end of this season?

8FOR!3
10-01-2010, 12:39 PM
McDyess guarded Odom and Dirk well, but I think Splitter can handle Dirk at the very least.

Spursfanfromafar
10-01-2010, 12:55 PM
While Wilson Chandler as the backup SF seems appealing to me for the year, to keep us in title contention.. I don't know how a trade works that does not take away anyone else from the team who is worthwhile - like McDyess to stay under the tax. Maybe if the Spurs are willing to pay some tax to keep the window open, it could happen.. but paying luxury tax to get Wilson Chandler?

toki9
10-01-2010, 12:55 PM
On a side note, there is this:
Knicks’ Chandler Charged With Drug Possession (5/19/2010, NYTimes)

By KAREN ZRAICK
Wilson Chandler of the Knicks was charged with criminal possession of marijuana during a traffic stop in Queens on Tuesday night, according to law enforcement officials.

Chandler, 23, a guard and forward, was behind the wheel of a white 2010 Mercedes-Benz when the police, on routine patrol, pulled him over for driving without his headlights on at the corner of 213th Street and 94th Avenue at 11:17 p.m.

During the stop, police officers from the 105th Precinct detected a strong odor of marijuana coming from the vehicle, according to Paul J. Browne, the police department’s chief spokesman.

Chandler had one passenger, Lamonte Yarbrough, 22, of Michigan, in the vehicle with him.

“The driver and the passenger admitted they had been smoking it and there was a marijuana cigarette in the driver’s seat,” Browne said.

In a search, the police recovered one bag of marijuana from the car’s center console and five from the trunk, according to the criminal complaint.

Both men were charged with fifth-degree criminal possession of marijuana, which applies to quantities under two ounces. The charge is a misdemeanor punishable by up to three months in jail and a fine of $500.

The men, both Michigan residents, were given desk appearance tickets at the scene and are due in court on July 1 for arraignment.

Chandler, a Knick since the 2007-8 season, played in 65 games for the Knicks this season, averaging 15.3 points and 5.4 rebounds a game.

In a statement, the team said, “We have spoken to Wilson regarding last night’s incident and will not be commenting at this time.”

It was not clear whether Chandler will be subject to league discipline. An N.B.A. spokesman said his case will be reviewed. In general, the N.B.A. reserves judgment until the legal process has played out.

Under league rules on marijuana, a first-time offender — whether he fails a drug test or is arrested for possession — is enrolled in the N.B.A. drug program. A second offense results in a $25,000 fine. A third offense triggers a five-game suspension.

Because test results are confidential, it was not known whether Chandler has been enrolled in the program before.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/20/sports/basketball/20knicks.html

JR3
10-01-2010, 12:57 PM
I would NOT trade Antonio for Chandler.... no way in hell.

Amuseddaysleeper
10-01-2010, 02:02 PM
I wish we could offload Bonner for Chandler, but the Spurs F.O. would never do it

DJB
10-01-2010, 02:04 PM
Here's what they're saying at Spursreport, just if anyone's interested:

Uwe Blab (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/members/uwe-blab.html) http://www.spursreport.com/forums/images/Infusion/statusicon/user_offline.gif
SpursReport Team Bench

permalink (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/100667-rumours-wilson-chandler-spurs.html#post1223598)
15pts per game on 48% shooting last year? I've never even heard of this guy. Sounds like a good deal to me.

:lol

(http://www.spursreport.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1223598)

Obstructed_View
10-01-2010, 02:41 PM

If Parker doesn't sign an extension before the trade deadline he'll be moved, because it means he's willing to take less money to play elsewhere.

crc21209
10-01-2010, 03:48 PM
I wish we could offload Bonner for Chandler, but the Spurs F.O. would never do it

If only....:lol

slick'81
10-01-2010, 04:50 PM
no way anyone wants that bonner bs contract

RodNIc91
10-01-2010, 05:12 PM
Add to that the fact that McDyess did a very good Defensive job on Odom and Nowitzki last season.
He is the only current Spu who matches up well defensively against those 2.

IIRC the guy who did the best job against Odom was Jefferson. The last game we won Dice guarded Artest and Jefferson guarded Odom because the problem with Odom´s matchup was his speed not his strength

Spursmania
10-01-2010, 05:36 PM

+1

MannyIsGod
10-01-2010, 05:46 PM

The Spurs wouldn't trade for WC with RJ's old contract on the books this season and we'd have no Tiago Splitter. Want to revise your post now or would you rather continue to look at one side of the situation in a foolish manner? Up to you.

yavozerb
10-01-2010, 05:48 PM

Wow,still crying bout these contracts..Bonners is not even that bad and people still complain (simply cause they dont like the guy). RJ I agree was signed for slightly above his going rate, but he can easily raise his value with a good season and I am sure the same people who are bashing will still find fault with guy...so sad

MannyIsGod
10-01-2010, 05:49 PM

Do you have to match them considering its a first round pick and a rookie scale contract? Knowing the Spurs were over the cap, this was my first thought.

Ditty
10-01-2010, 06:11 PM
are the spurs allowed to trade bonner they just resigned him are they allowed to trade him immdediatley or have to wait until december or something?

Obstructed_View
10-01-2010, 06:11 PM
The Spurs wouldn't trade for WC with RJ's old contract on the books this season and we'd have no Tiago Splitter. Want to revise your post now or would you rather continue to look at one side of the situation in a foolish manner? Up to you.

So instead of explaining how it isn't going to hurt the Spurs in the future, you make up a pretend worst-case scenario where the Spurs don't get anything?

MannyIsGod
10-01-2010, 06:13 PM
So instead of explaining how it isn't going to hurt the Spurs in the future, you make up a pretend worst-case scenario where the Spurs don't get anything?

Oh wait, my pretend scenario wasn't good enough to battle the pretend scenario of the Spurs not being able to resign Wilson Chandler due to Richard Jefferson's contract because it was a pretend scenario?

Oh, MY BAD.

TimmehC
10-01-2010, 06:23 PM
I don't want this black guy on the Spurs

ftUCm-XcpZk

:06

Obstructed_View
10-01-2010, 06:43 PM
Oh wait, my pretend scenario wasn't good enough to battle the pretend scenario of the Spurs not being able to resign Wilson Chandler due to Richard Jefferson's contract because it was a pretend scenario?

Oh, MY BAD.

You should probably try to think about the difference between a pretend scenario that never happened and a likely outcome that hasn't happened yet. The Spurs would have had a draft pick to trade even if RJ hadn't opted out. The difference is he'd be an expiring contract. Pretty simple actually.

ChuckD
10-01-2010, 06:55 PM
listen debbie downer :(
you think the spurs would sign a guy that wouldnt verbally commit long term?? were not trading minds with the knicks were trading players/assets. give pop a lil credit

Jackson, Stephen
Claxton, Speedy
Turkoglu, Hedo

TD 21
His lack of outside shooting is being overblown. He's only 23, so he could still become competent in this area (though he'll probably always be erratic, similar to Ariza and Barnes). If you're good enough in enough areas, you can overcome mediocre outside shooting. Granted, he shot out of his mind in the '09 playoffs, but did the Lakers care that Ariza wasn't a very good shooter? No, because they had so many other advantages (some of which, he contributed to) that in the end, it ended up not mattering.

Put him in a structured environment with a clearly defined role and I think he could excel. Do we know for sure? Of course not. But sometimes you have to take risks (calculated ones, that is). As is, this team is probably missing one more piece to seriously contend for a championship and he could be that piece. If he's not, so long as they can get him re-signed, he'd still be a solid piece for the future at a position of need.

benefactor
If you give me a choice of having RJ as an expiring or possibly getting Chandler at cost of RJ's new contract I pick the former every time.

And yes, they would have signed Splitter. There is actually a bigger chance they'd have no Bonner.

ElNono
10-01-2010, 06:59 PM
The Spurs wouldn't trade for WC with RJ's old contract on the books this season and we'd have no Tiago Splitter.

I disagree with the second part. I don't think bringing Tiago had anything to do with the RJ situation... but we're both guessing.

Bruno
10-01-2010, 06:59 PM
Do you have to match them considering its a first round pick and a rookie scale contract? Knowing the Spurs were over the cap, this was my first thought.

Yes, you have.
A future first round has a $0 trade value.
Chandler trade value is his salary ($2.13M).

Spurs can match Chandler salary with Jerrells+Temple+Gee but it would put them over the tax and cost them something like $5M. If Spurs wants to do a trade for Chandler without going over the tax, McDyess has to be traded.

And I also would like that Spurs trade Bonner before McDyess but it isn't an option since Bonner cna't be traded before December 15th.

ElNono
10-01-2010, 07:03 PM
And I also would like that Spurs trade Bonner before McDyess but it isn't an option since Bonner cna't be traded before December 15th.

You would also need to find a taker for that contract... Isiah is not running the Knicks anymore...

Bruno
10-01-2010, 07:05 PM
You would also need to find a taker for that contract... Isiah is not running the Knicks anymore...

Bonner's contract isn't worst than most of the contracts bigmen have received this summer.

ElNono
10-01-2010, 07:07 PM
Bonner's contract isn't worst than most of the contracts bigmen have received this summer.

That doesn't make them good contracts.

wildbill2u
10-01-2010, 07:09 PM
October 4, 2005: Traded by the Chicago Bulls (http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/CHI/2006.html) (as a 2007 1st round draft pick) with Eddy Curry (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/curryed01.html) and Antonio Davis (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/davisan01.html) to the New York Knickerbockers (http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/NYK/2006.html) for Jermaine Jackson (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jacksje01.html), Mike Sweetney (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/sweetmi01.html), Tim Thomas (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/t/thomati01.html), a 2006 1st round draft pick (LaMarcus Aldridge (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/a/aldrila01.html)), a 2007 1st round draft pick (Joakim Noah (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/n/noahjo01.html)), a 2007 2nd round draft pick (Kyrylo Fesenko (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/f/fesenky01.html)) and a 2009 2nd round draft pick (Jon Brockman (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/brockjo01.html)).

Come back, Isaiah. We need you.

yavozerb
10-01-2010, 07:11 PM

Oh, MY BAD.

Yes, you have.

Spurs can match Chandler salary with Jerrells+Temple+Gee but it would put them over the tax and cost them something like $5M. If Spurs wants to do a trade for Chandler without going over the tax, McDyess has to be traded.

Ok, time to put this thread to bed..next

dude, get over it..Bonners contract is cheap compared to other big men who bring much less and are dime a dozen at that postiion

Bruno
10-01-2010, 07:16 PM

Agree but if teams are ready to sign players to these "bad" contracts, I see no reasons why they wouldn't be ready to trade for these "bad" contracts.

And it's far from sure McDyess current contract is better than Bonner's one.

With his trade kicker and the guaranteed part of his 2011-2012 contract, a team would pay $8.3M for one year of a 36 years old McDyess.
For Bonner, it's $11M for 3 years.

Obstructed_View
10-01-2010, 07:19 PM
Yes, you have.

Since RJ's contract was such a financial coup for them, I'm not sure that it's just expected that they're going to avoid going into the tax again.

yavozerb
10-01-2010, 07:21 PM
Since RJ's contract was such a financial coup for them, I'm not sure that it's just expected that they're going to avoid going into the tax again.

Are they under the tax right now?

Obstructed_View
10-01-2010, 07:32 PM
Are they under the tax right now?

Ugh, I plead total ignorance at all things financial. Bruno's the man on that stuff. I assume by the way they're talking that the Spurs are right at the edge right now. I don't know that there's been a definite statement that they're completely unwilling to exceed the tax if the right deal comes along. They did it last year, and got kind of a reprieve with this under the table deal for RJ.

duncan228
10-01-2010, 07:41 PM
Bruno's the man on that stuff.

Bruno is wonderful at explaining the financial stuff. If anyone's interested, he's got some good info in the Think Tank.

Spurs Salaries, 2010-2011 Edition

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158106

Blackjack
10-01-2010, 07:48 PM
They're under the cap so long as they go with the league minimum of 13 players.

And to O_V's point, I'm a firm believer they're a willing taxpayer if they believe the payment has legitimate championship potential. And the savings from Jefferson's refinancing might even encourage them to pay a little tax for a player that's not of the no-brainer variety, but has some potential and actually addresses a need.

I don't believe the thought of being a taxpayer is as terrible a notion as some believe it to be.

Holt's intentions were to capitalize on Duncan's last years, even if it meant tax for them to do so. The fact that they saved some money or that the first year of that investment didn't pay off the way they hoped, hasn't changed that intent, IMO.

They'll return to their fiscal sanity and business model of yesteryear when Tim's no longer a viable championship centerpiece of a team.

That time isn't now.

yavozerb
10-01-2010, 07:57 PM
I liked this thread until Bruno indicated what was needed to trade in order to recieve chandler. I do not at all mind a 1st rd pick, but in no way will giving up Mcdyess make in this offer make this team better. Unfortunatly this thread is strictly as advertised, a rumour, nothing more, but still funner than 99% of the other threads being talked about.

Russ
10-01-2010, 08:16 PM
Chandler looks like a no-brainer if the FO can pull it off. (If it's not just some twitter nonsense.)

The only things that make me the least bit hesitant about Chandler.

Charles Smith.

Jackie Butler.

Charlie Ward.

Nathan89
10-01-2010, 08:26 PM
I liked this thread until Bruno indicated what was needed to trade in order to recieve chandler. I do not at all mind a 1st rd pick, but in no way will giving up Mcdyess make in this offer make this team better. Unfortunatly this thread is strictly as advertised, a rumour, nothing more, but still funner than 99% of the other threads being talked about.

This.

If we lose dice, we will be worse.

objective
10-01-2010, 08:38 PM
The Knicks could kick in $3 Million to help with any luxury tax concerns, but if they're willing to do that they could probably get a pick from some other team without losing Chandler.

lefty
10-01-2010, 08:41 PM
IIRC the guy who did the best job against Odom was Jefferson. The last game we won Dice guarded Artest and Jefferson guarded Odom because the problem with Odom´s matchup was his speed not his strength
You are right about the last game

But the game before that (where Kobe faked a back injury), Dice defended on Odom and did a great job

The Btown Spur
10-01-2010, 08:43 PM
Does anyone know how reliable this source actually is?

ElNono
10-01-2010, 09:54 PM
dude, get over it..Bonners contract is cheap compared to other big men who bring much less and are dime a dozen at that postiion

Now you're exaggerating. Cheap? No. You could argue it's market-value considering what other stiffs are getting. The thing is, Bonner doesn't fill any needs in this team, and that money could have been better spent on another stiff that at least can rebound and help Tim inside.

And I am 'over it'. He's here and he's going to play. Doesn't mean I have to like it or not express my opinion about it.

Agree but if teams are ready to sign players to these "bad" contracts, I see no reasons why they wouldn't be ready to trade for these "bad" contracts.

I get your point, but it's hard to gauge what the league really thinks about Bonner's upside and his worth, seeing that the Spurs pretty much re-signed him fairly quickly. I'm not sure what's the value of a proven choker.

And it's far from sure McDyess current contract is better than Bonner's one.
With his trade kicker and the guaranteed part of his 2011-2012 contract, a team would pay $8.3M for one year of a 36 years old McDyess.
For Bonner, it's $11M for 3 years.

True, but the Dice situation was different, since we really needed to help fill up that position (coincidentally because Bonner couldn't rebound or defend to save his life). There's also the fact that Dice was one of the few sought after free agents that offseason. So maybe we paid a little extra for him (I thought the last year should have been a team option) in order to make sure he would join us, but he came to fill a need for the team.

TDMVPDPOY
10-01-2010, 09:57 PM
Chandler looks like a no-brainer if the FO can pull it off. (If it's not just some twitter nonsense.)

The only things that make me the least bit hesitant about Chandler.

Charles Smith.

Jackie Butler.

Charlie Ward.

jackie butler looms

wildbill2u
10-01-2010, 10:41 PM
What about the character issues? I don't mind a player smokin' a little weed and getting busted, but five baggies in the trunk sounds like he's doin' a little dealing on the side. Once you start breaking up some weight into individual packages, in most jurisdictions, that's prima facie evidence that you intend to sell it.

SenorSpur
10-01-2010, 10:43 PM
jackie butler looms

It's still hard to believe that Pop and R.C. fell for Larry Brown's assessment of Jackie Butler's lard ass to make a trade for him.

Russ
10-01-2010, 10:45 PM
It's still hard to believe that Pop and R.C. fell for Larry Brown's assessment of Jackie Butler's lard ass to make a trade for him.

I think it was a FA signing but the point remains.

Obstructed_View
10-01-2010, 11:42 PM
Yeah Butler and Elson were both restricted free agents. The Spurs bid on both and got them. They really needed help at center, and it's good that one of them panned out. Butler had some talent but never seemed to even give an effort. Elson wasn't terribly bright but he played hard and contributed.

weebo
10-02-2010, 12:37 AM
What about the character issues? I don't mind a player smokin' a little weed and getting busted, but five baggies in the trunk sounds like he's doin' a little dealing on the side. Once you start breaking up some weight into individual packages, in most jurisdictions, that's prima facie evidence that you intend to sell it.

Character issues? Don't we have a rapist on our team?

Gutter92
10-02-2010, 12:42 AM
Character issues? Don't we have a rapist on our team?

define rapist :lol

jiggy_55
10-02-2010, 01:38 AM
@JMcDonald_SAEN
Jeff McDonald
@Preine713 FWIW, source in the loop tells E-N that Knicks and Spurs have not discussed anything re: Wilson Chandler.

http://twitter.com/#!/JMcDonald_SAEN/status/26118634691

Leonard Curse
10-02-2010, 01:43 AM
You should drop whatever it is you're smoking and pick up punctuation instead :downspin:
really??!!!! do i really have to spell everything out??!?!?! no im cont. on w/my abbreviations did you know abbreviators have a higher iq????jk hahah no but cmon man i hate spelling the full word when you know what im saying!! stop being an ass in other words "stp being N azz" see!!

Leonard Curse
10-02-2010, 01:45 AM
Jackson, Stephen
Claxton, Speedy
Turkoglu, Hedo

okay i stand corrected!!! it sucks to be wrong, however this is a totally different situation!!

thispego
10-02-2010, 02:22 AM

:lol rofl at the thought of an NBA player dealing on the side

Russ
10-02-2010, 02:36 AM
:lol rofl at the thought of an NBA player dealing on the side

Hmmmmmm . . .

http://articles.latimes.com/1995-01-17/sports/sp-20961_1_darryl-henley

4>0rings
10-02-2010, 03:17 AM
Timmy would be cool if he was dealing, a local trust worthy dealer on his own team. Get it done pop!

EricB
10-02-2010, 03:40 AM

It wasn't just their assesment. Butler showed at the end of the prior season alot of talent and a crap load of potential. Once he got paid however he just gave up.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-02-2010, 03:55 AM

Melo for Gallo, Randolph and some pieces would actually be an interesting trade for both teams. NY get their second player for their impending "Big 3" (Amare, Melo, Paul), Denver get to re-load with some youth with major upside.

If we could grab Chandler in the deal, why not? But WHY THE FUCKING-BLOODY-SHITHEAD-BALLS-DICK-PRICK-APOCALYSPING-HELL did we pay Richard Jefferson 40mil over 4 excruciating years? Aaaaaaaaaaargh! :vomit:

I may well have egg on my face if RJ improves markedly this year, magically become the slashing scorer and defender we need him to be, and then puts off the effects of aging (he's 30... we'll be paying him 10mil when he's 34!) to still be useful 4 years from now, but I rate that a 12.7% chance.

So, in summary: we re-signed the Anti-balla for 4 years for twice his market value, but we could have simply paid him out and grabbed Chandler to replace him for next year? I repeat: :vomit:

poop
10-02-2010, 03:56 AM
its ok guys, we have Bonner locked up. we're gonna be ok.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-02-2010, 03:58 AM
I really don't like RJ. Not sure why. He just feels like Derek Anderson all over again somehow to me. :vomit:

thispego
10-02-2010, 04:46 AM
Hmmmmmm . . .

http://articles.latimes.com/1995-01-17/sports/sp-20961_1_darryl-henley

NFL and was he ever convicted?

texaskid
10-02-2010, 05:06 AM
@JMcDonald_SAEN
Jeff McDonald
@Preine713 FWIW, source in the loop tells E-N that Knicks and Spurs have not discussed anything re: Wilson Chandler.

http://twitter.com/#!/JMcDonald_SAEN/status/26118634691 (http://twitter.com/#%21/JMcDonald_SAEN/status/26118634691)

:ihit

Penya
10-02-2010, 06:04 AM
I asked a Spanish journalist (who lives in NYC and knows some insiders) about the trade. He answered that there's a rumor about a "real opportunity which depends more of SAS than NYK".

SenorSpur
10-02-2010, 08:14 AM
It wasn't just their assesment. Butler showed at the end of the prior season alot of talent and a crap load of potential. Once he got paid however he just gave up.

...and how. Talk about hitting the lottery and giving up.

benefactor
10-02-2010, 08:20 AM
:ihit
Allow me to translate that tweet for you....

"I don't know anything about what it happening, so I'll just I have a source that says nothing is happening."

Obstructed_View
10-02-2010, 09:17 AM

"I don't know anything about what it happening, so I'll just I have a source that says nothing is happening."

Translation #2: "My uncle is from New York..."

Ditty
10-02-2010, 09:23 AM
I really don't like RJ. Not sure why. He just feels like Derek Anderson all over again somehow to me. :vomit:

Well I would think anderson would be what we would want from jefferson...guy who can shoot and wasn't afraid to get to the basket..until juwan howard hurt him then it was all downhill from there

Russ
10-02-2010, 09:52 AM
NFL and was he ever convicted?

I'm afraid drug dealing was just the beginning for this ex-UCLA Bruin . . .

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/EX-RAM+HENLEY+GETS+41+YEARS+IN+MURDER+PLOT.(News)-a083859693

thispego
10-02-2010, 10:00 AM
I'm afraid drug dealing was just the beginning for this ex-UCLA Bruin . . .

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/EX-RAM+HENLEY+GETS+41+YEARS+IN+MURDER+PLOT.(News)-a083859693

Damn, reads like a movie story line, crazy to hear stories about people who could have had so much and throw it all away

texaskid
10-02-2010, 11:47 AM

thanks。。。 i'm wrong。。:downspin:

DPG21920
10-02-2010, 11:54 AM

False. Absolutely false. Show me the proof where the Spurs would not have signed Tiago if RJ would not have opted out.

There is absolutely no way they pass on Tiago coming over either way. None.

Also, why would they not trade for WC with RJ making 15M, but could with him making 10?

FuzzyLumpkins
10-02-2010, 02:16 PM

Derek Anderson played well his year here and then he left. Hopefully Jefferson is not the opposite.

DJB
10-02-2010, 03:57 PM
its ok guys, we have Bonner locked up. we're gonna be ok.

EricB
10-02-2010, 05:25 PM
False. Absolutely false. Show me the proof where the Spurs would not have signed Tiago if RJ would not have opted out.

Also, why would they not trade for WC with RJ making 15M, but could with him making 10?

Subtract 15 from 10..... There's a gain of 5 million....

MannyIsGod
10-02-2010, 05:36 PM
You should probably try to think about the difference between a pretend scenario that never happened and a likely outcome that hasn't happened yet. The Spurs would have had a draft pick to trade even if RJ hadn't opted out. The difference is he'd be an expiring contract. Pretty simple actually.

:lol Likely?

Also, let me introduce you to the Luxury tax. You should talk for awhile.

MannyIsGod
10-02-2010, 05:38 PM

The Luxury Tax has never stopped the Spurs from doing anything. In fact, all the Spurs moves this summer did not revolve around the Luxury Tax.

Nope.

WTF is the Luxury tax anyway?

Id better stop now before this becomes a Scola thread.

MannyIsGod
10-02-2010, 05:39 PM
Translation #2: "My uncle is from New York..."

:lol

Likely. Thats the funniest shit I've read in days. Saying any trade involving the Spurs you hear about is likely makes you look like a Spurs fan that has been following this team for 2 seasons.

objective
10-02-2010, 05:52 PM
@JMcDonald_SAEN
Jeff McDonald

http://twitter.com/#!/JMcDonald_SAEN/status/26118634691

McDonald finally got himself a source?

Maybe in another 3 or 4 years he'll be able to break news all on his own.

DPG21920
10-02-2010, 06:00 PM
The Luxury Tax has never stopped the Spurs from doing anything. In fact, all the Spurs moves this summer did not revolve around the Luxury Tax.

Nope.

WTF is the Luxury tax anyway?

Id better stop now before this becomes a Scola thread.

Did the Spurs pay the luxury tax last season? You were also wrong about the Tiago move. Do you really think they would pass on him because of the LT? Of course not. Because that is incredibly stupid.

ohmwrecker
10-02-2010, 06:01 PM
Did the Spurs pay the luxury tax last season? You were also wrong about the Tiago move. Do you really think they would pass on him because of the LT? Of course not. Because that is incredibly stupid.

Luis Scola . . .

objective
10-02-2010, 06:02 PM
The luxury tax might have made the Spurs have to choose between Splitter and Bonner.

And we all know they would have chosen Bonner.

DPG21920
10-02-2010, 06:04 PM
Luis Scola . . .

Completely different scenarios.

1) The Spurs were not in win-now mode when that move was made.

2) The Spurs paid the luxury tax last season.

ohmwrecker
10-02-2010, 06:05 PM

I should have used this . . . :stirpot:

ohmwrecker
10-02-2010, 06:08 PM
But, to answer your comment seriously,

1) The Spurs should have been in "win now mode" 3 years ago.

2) I don't think Peter Holt is too eager to do it again.

DPG21920
10-02-2010, 06:13 PM
He may not be eager, but they said the plan was to win now. We have heard nothing different. We certainly have no indication at all that the lt would cost the spurs Tiago. Especially when you hear the front office say they won't make the same mistake again.

ohmwrecker
10-02-2010, 06:17 PM
What other possible plan can there be? Duncan has his best years behind him and Parker is in the last year of his contract. It's either win now or nothing.

DPG21920
10-02-2010, 06:22 PM
The plan (& many teams do this) could have been to field a competitive team and take no gambles or chances. They chose to pay the tax and take a chance on RJ.

But the entire point was that it is extremely unlikely the Spurs don't sign Tiago bc of the tax.

ohmwrecker
10-02-2010, 06:25 PM
Hard to say . . . I certainly didn't expect him to come as cheap as he did.

I don't really characterize the moves this off-season as "gambles or chances". They seem fairly prudent and conservative to me.

DPG21920
10-02-2010, 06:28 PM
I was referring to last season and the carry over. Once you make a choice like going after RJ last year, it limits what you can do for a few years.

duncan228
10-02-2010, 07:02 PM
Chandler, a Swingman, Remains a Constant on a Knicks Team That Is Always Evolving (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/02/sports/basketball/02knicks.html?_r=1)
By Howard Beck
The New York Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/02/sports/basketball/02knicks.html?_r=1

G-Dawgg
10-02-2010, 07:17 PM
We need to get this guy... This is the Trevor Ariza type forward that we've been needing... He would compliment RJ so well in a small ball lineup. Imagine our small ball with RJ and Chandler leaking out on fast breaks with Parker and Hill running the back court.... The thought is sick, this would be a deadly fast-breaking team. -Speed kills

ElNono
10-02-2010, 07:57 PM
I suspect the situation with Tiago was unrelated to the tax situation simply because of a couple of factors: 1) He was willing and eager to come over this season. You turn him down now, and he might just turn around and sign a long term deal in Europe that you can't pry him out of in the future. 2) The buyout was affordable. You don't know he would have an opt-out clause like that in any newer contracts, considering he was a top player in Europe last season.

That's why I think it was do or die time for Tiago. And I'm pretty sure the Spurs FO was pretty aware of it.

As far as Holt and his willingness to pay the lux tax, well, the Spurs are going to be paying lux tax at the very least the next couple of seasons (provided the next CBA still includes a lux tax provision). I feel that if he thinks it will put this team over the top, he's certainly willing.

Chomag
10-02-2010, 08:15 PM
We need to get this guy... This is the Trevor Ariza type forward that we've been needing... He would compliment RJ so well in a small ball lineup. Imagine our small ball with RJ and Chandler leaking out on fast breaks with Parker and Hill running the back court.... The thought is sick, this would be a deadly fast-breaking team. -Speed kills

If only the spurs would have went for Ariza and not RJ. Man...

MannyIsGod
10-02-2010, 08:22 PM
The Spurs passed on Splitter because they weren't in win now mode? Ok.

Yes, they paid the LT last year. It was obviously a disaster. Tell me, did they go into LT tax territory this year? Why not if they are in win now mode? We all speculate a lot here but here are the facts:

Spurs have not yet signed anyone putting them into LT territory and in fact went out of their way to get out of that situation.

Spurs have passed on very good big men before because of the LT.

DPG21920
10-02-2010, 08:33 PM
The Spurs passed on Splitter because they weren't in win now mode? Ok.

I am assuming you meant Scola, and yes. The Spurs were not in win now mode. They were winning and were doing so operating within a budget. They did not have to make moves because the big 3 were still all prime.

The league changed. The dynamics of the big 3 changed and they had to make a big move (RJ) and pay the LT. They admitted as such. The passed on Luis because they felt they could win and stay below the tax. It was not a basketball move, but a financial one because they felt the basketball side was still a championship core.

That also changed recently.

Yes, they paid the LT last year. It was obviously a disaster. Tell me, did they go into LT tax territory this year? Why not if they are in win now mode? We all speculate a lot here but here are the facts:

Spurs have not yet signed anyone putting them into LT territory and in fact went out of their way to get out of that situation.

Spurs have passed on very good big men before because of the LT.

They very well could go into the luxury tax and :lol at calling scoreboard at something when the season has not even started. I can't see into the future, so I don't know if they went into the LT.

I am sure they will try to operate under the tax, but any additional salaries brought on will push them over. If they re-sign TP, they will be paying LT the year after next. When they went with the plan to "win now", they knew they would be LT payers for the next few years.

They might have escaped it this year (although that remains to be seen), but they could very easily go over again. Those are the facts. They said they would not be making the Luis Scola mistake again.

They might be trying to avoid the LT, which all teams should do, but it did not cost them anything that would affect their ability to win now (talent wise). That does not mean they are refusing to pay LT. They just saw a way to avoid that and keep all of their players. They would not have done whatever they could to get under the LT line if it meant weakening their chances significantly. They know the tax is coming for the future (assuming there is no hard cap put into place).

ohmwrecker
10-02-2010, 09:47 PM

He is cheaper, I suppose . . .

8FOR!3
10-02-2010, 10:50 PM

He played five more minutes a game, scored five points a game more, shot 39% from the field compared to RJ's 47%, and only managed to get one rebound and two assists more than Jefferson a game. Not to mention that he only shot just over .1% better from the 3 point line than RJ. RJ played more games and shot a better free throw percentage. Money wise he might not be the better deal, but you're giving Trevor a little too much credit there.

SenorSpur
10-02-2010, 11:20 PM
Ariza had a very bad year for the Rockets. Personally, I think because, in part, he had way too much offensive responsibility. Houston had him miscast as one of their team's featured players. He's a role player, not a playmaker. If he got back to the supporting cast-type of role he had with the Fakers, he'd likely flourish again. Besides, he young and less cheaper than RJ.

timtonymanu
10-02-2010, 11:23 PM

True but Ariza would have demanded the MLE and we would have had no money to go after McDyess and Bonner would have been our starting center again last year.

ElNono
10-03-2010, 02:04 AM
He played five more minutes a game, scored five points a game more, shot 39% from the field compared to RJ's 47%, and only managed to get one rebound and two assists more than Jefferson a game. Not to mention that he only shot just over .1% better from the 3 point line than RJ. RJ played more games and shot a better free throw percentage. Money wise he might not be the better deal, but you're giving Trevor a little too much credit there.

Do you only watch one side of the floor? You're missing half the game!

boutons_deux
10-03-2010, 07:54 AM
October 1, 2010

Chandler, a Swingman, Remains a Constant on a Knicks Team That Is Always Evolving

By HOWARD BECK

MILAN — They traded his mentors and his friends, the veterans who guided him and the pranksters who kept him laughing. For two straight years, they traded nearly everyone, until one day Wilson Chandler looked up and found a roster of near strangers staring back at him, a dizzy survivor of The Great Knicks Purge.

“I’m just happy to still be here,” Chandler, the Knicks’ fourth-year swingman, said Friday as he sheared medical tape from his ankles. He added, “It’s just tough to see people go.”

By now, Chandler is almost numb to the turnover. He had 31 teammates in his first three seasons, not counting free agents on 10-day contracts. He greeted 10 more new faces in September, bringing his grand total to 41.

The list of departed comrades includes a Robinson (Nate) and a Roberson (Anthony), a James (Jerome) and a Jones (Fred), a Rose (Malik), a House (Eddie) and a Hill (Jordan).

Chandler and Eddy Curry are the last ties to the Isiah Thomas era — and Curry may never play another game for the team.

Even now, as the reconstructed Knicks prepare for a revival, change is a constant threat. Chandler and Danilo Gallinari — who have become close friends — are tied to every trade rumor involving Carmelo Anthony.

“You can’t fight stuff like that,” Chandler said. “I mean, that’s just how it goes.”

As one of the lone holdovers, Chandler now provides some critical continuity in the lineup. Of the 13 healthy players in camp, only Chandler, Gallinari, Toney Douglas and Amar’e Stoudemire have much experience in Coach Mike D’Antoni’s offense.

That is part of the reason D’Antoni has Chandler penciled in as his starting shooting guard, even if he is not the most conventional choice. Chandler is big (6 feet 8 inches, 225 pounds) and strong and was once projected by D’Antoni as a power forward because of his post defense.

The Knicks have better shooters and playmakers available. But Chandler is young (23), steady and improving, and his size and strength bother opposing guards. Chandler fits in the backcourt, “so as long as we have enough playmakers on the floor, and enough ability to create shots, which he’s better than what you think at it,” D’Antoni said.

Chandler averaged a career-high 15.3 points last season, his first as an everyday guard. If the Knicks need more shooting, D’Antoni can turn to Douglas, Roger Mason or — once he is healthy — Kelenna Azubuike. Bill Walker is also an option at what is probably the Knicks’ deepest position.

That depth also makes Chandler somewhat expendable, if the Knicks need to use him in a trade.

For now, Chandler — who came to camp looking leaner and more muscular — is trying to regain his timing after a series of injuries. He missed the final 15 games last season because of a groin injury, then had ankle and hernia operations in the off-season. He just began running full speed again in early September. His jump shot is rusty.

“My rhythm is definitely off,” Chandler said. “It’s easy with guys like this to get a rhythm back.”

He was referring primarily to Stoudemire, whose presence will create more open jump shots for teammates. The Knicks have not had a legitimate superstar — the kind who creates havoc for opponents — in a decade. With Stoudemire occupying defenses, Chandler and Gallinari will have more room to operate and less pressure to carry the offense.

Stoudemire, Mason and Raymond Felton have also brought a measure of leadership and professionalism that has been sorely lacking in the locker room in recent years. All of the Knicks’ newcomers are known as high-character, team-oriented players, which should make the transition this season smoother.

Mason is willingly accepting a backup role, though he started 82 games for a 54-win San Antonio Spurs team in 2008-9.

“Mike told me I’m either going to start you, or you’ll come off the bench and you’re going to play a lot,” Mason said. “With me, it’s whatever he wants to do.”

That attitude stands in stark contrast to the string of gripes issued by disgruntled Knicks veterans in recent years. Mason said that setting a professional tone was “one of my biggest roles.”

“I had a two-year crash course on being a championship-caliber pro” in San Antonio, he said. “And I’m trying to bring that here. With the young guys, I think they listen, they look up to guys like me, guys like Amar’e, guys like Ray.”

So if the rapid-fire changes have been jarring, they have come with some substantial benefits.

“I’m happy with the team we got,” Chandler said, adding, “I just hope everybody stays together.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/02/sports/basketball/02knicks.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&pagewanted=print

==========

Stoudemire "professional", "leadership" ? :lol

DPG21920
10-03-2010, 03:06 PM
You can watch Wilson on NBA TV right now.

Obstructed_View
10-03-2010, 06:10 PM
:lol Likely?

Um, yeah, the Spurs would have likely traded RJ's expiring contract before the deadline.

Also, let me introduce you to the Luxury tax. You should talk for awhile.

Sorry, but he'd have left town with RJ. Try and keep up.

duncan228
10-04-2010, 03:40 PM
Knicks Have Their Pick? (http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=17508)

It has been widely rumored and reported that the New York Knicks are desperately in search of a first round pick in next summer's draft, with the thinking being that they could then put together a package for the Denver Nuggets that would land Carmelo Anthony in town. Over the weekend a great deal of speculation began circulating that the San Antonio Spurs might be the team to help the Knicks get a first rounder, with Wilson Chandler being the player mentioned as possibly heading back to the Spurs.

The connection here is obvious, and might therefore be easier to dismiss as mere speculation. The Spurs would like to add another small forward, as Richard Jefferson is currently the only three on the team. It's easy enough to connect the dots here and suggest that the Spurs are the team that is willing to part with a first round pick and make a deal happen with the Knicks. However, just because it's easy to connect the dots doesn't mean it's necessarily true.

The Spurs are over the salary cap, meaning they can't simply absorb Chandler's $2.1 million salary and move on. Someone from the Spurs has to be involved in the trade, either going back to the Knicks or to a possible third team. Given the Spurs' glut of front court players, Matt Bonner's name has been thrown around quite a bit as someone who could be sent to New York. There are a couple of issues with that, however, as Bonner has endeared himself to the Spurs and also can't be traded until December 15th because he re-signed with the Spurs over the summer.

What's more likely, if Chandler is to land in San Antonio, is that the Knicks would find a third-party who would absorb someone like Garrett Temple or Gary Neal, while the Spurs use their $825,000 trade exception to bring back Chandler. The Knicks get a first round pick without having to take back a player, the Spurs get their small forward, and another team gets an inexpensive player they can waive to free up cap space if they choose.

There's no question Chandler could help the Spurs. He's improved in each of his three years in the NBA, and averaged 15.3 points in 65 games for the Knicks last season. Still, there's a lot of uncertainty around the Knicks organization, so it's probably premature for Chandler to start switching out his cold weather gear for shorts and tank tops just yet.

Bill Ingram
Hoopsworld

8FOR!3
10-04-2010, 04:02 PM
:stirpot:

I likes it.

senorglory
10-04-2010, 04:02 PM
Luis Scola . . .

ahh, man. why'd you have to bring that up. now i'm all depressed, again. freakin' scola. damned rockets.

Obstructed_View
10-04-2010, 04:04 PM
Trade Gary Neal? Oh noes!

8FOR!3
10-04-2010, 04:11 PM
Trade Gary Neal? Oh noes!

If Kirk Penney works out it might not be too terrible a thing.

JR3
10-04-2010, 04:16 PM
Get this done! we need chandler to start learning the system. =)

objective
10-04-2010, 04:19 PM

The Spurs have been in 'win-now' mode for years. Teams that aren't in win-now mode don't trade 2 firsts for what was only a half year rental of a backsliding over the hill Kurt Thomas. Yeah, they re-signed him, but that was the deal at the time.

Ditty
10-04-2010, 04:40 PM
i had r.c. buford about 3 feet away from me at the open practice he was waiting on marcus cousin to go back to the tunnel I was thinking about asking him but didn't want to make it akward

Mr. Body
10-04-2010, 08:46 PM
i had r.c. buford about 3 feet away from me at the open practice he was waiting on marcus cousin to go back to the tunnel I was thinking about asking him but didn't want to make it akward

If I ever meet R.C. I'm gonna ask him why the fuck they traded Luis Scola.

yavozerb
10-04-2010, 08:58 PM

It has been widely rumored and reported that the New York Knicks are desperately in search of a first round pick in next summer's draft, with the thinking being that they could then put together a package for the Denver Nuggets that would land Carmelo Anthony in town. Over the weekend a great deal of speculation began circulating that the San Antonio Spurs might be the team to help the Knicks get a first rounder, with Wilson Chandler being the player mentioned as possibly heading back to the Spurs.

The connection here is obvious, and might therefore be easier to dismiss as mere speculation. The Spurs would like to add another small forward, as Richard Jefferson is currently the only three on the team. It's easy enough to connect the dots here and suggest that the Spurs are the team that is willing to part with a first round pick and make a deal happen with the Knicks. However, just because it's easy to connect the dots doesn't mean it's necessarily true.

The Spurs are over the salary cap, meaning they can't simply absorb Chandler's $2.1 million salary and move on. Someone from the Spurs has to be involved in the trade, either going back to the Knicks or to a possible third team. Given the Spurs' glut of front court players, Matt Bonner's name has been thrown around quite a bit as someone who could be sent to New York. There are a couple of issues with that, however, as Bonner has endeared himself to the Spurs and also can't be traded until December 15th because he re-signed with the Spurs over the summer.

What's more likely, if Chandler is to land in San Antonio, is that the Knicks would find a third-party who would absorb someone like Garrett Temple or Gary Neal, while the Spurs use their $825,000 trade exception to bring back Chandler. The Knicks get a first round pick without having to take back a player, the Spurs get their small forward, and another team gets an inexpensive player they can waive to free up cap space if they choose.

There's no question Chandler could help the Spurs. He's improved in each of his three years in the NBA, and averaged 15.3 points in 65 games for the Knicks last season. Still, there's a lot of uncertainty around the Knicks organization, so it's probably premature for Chandler to start switching out his cold weather gear for shorts and tank tops just yet.

Bill Ingram
Hoopsworld

Thank you for the kiss of death hoopsworld...Now I know this trade well never happen.:downspin:

mountainballer
10-05-2010, 02:57 AM

jesus. for how long does Ingram write about NBA? he still doesn't know the basics about the CBA, but doesn't hesitate to write those "insider" speculations about possible trades.
Spurs can NOT use the TE for Chandler.
(it's to small and it's not possible to combine the TE with a players salary)
it's not Temple or Neal. neither one of them, nor both combined make enough to get the numbers work.
and a team that trades for Neal (who can't be traded before Dec. 15th anyhow) can't free cap space if they waive him, because his salary is guaranteed. and if it's Temple and the other unguaranteed contracts (Jerrells, Gee), they wouldn't need a third team, b/c Knicks can just waive them as well. (costs them just 210 K, because Temple and Gee have small guaranteed parts).
and I agree. Hoopsworld writing about it brings the chance that the trade for Chandler happens to below 1%. damn.

BG_Spurs_Fan
10-05-2010, 04:02 AM

Bill Ingram
Hoopsworld

Words can't describe how incredibly stupid and clueless this article is :rolleyes makes you almost appreciate McDonald.

iManu
10-05-2010, 06:01 AM
Words can't describe how incredibly stupid and clueless this article is :rolleyes makes you almost appreciate McDonald.

Great.

dunkman
10-05-2010, 11:06 AM
The cost of adding Chandler for the first rounder only would draw a lot of consequences. His $2.1 salary would be almost twice, plus the team would lost another few millions from the luxury tax teams retribution. It's like $7M for an little known backup player, plus the first rounder.

On top of that, Chandler will be RFA in the best case after this season and no matter how limited his role with the Spurs, teams will make offers based on his previous three years.

That trade has some chances if the Spurs send some players. Jerrels, Temple and Gee could be, but they are the third string PG and SF. Third string PG is still an important role.

No way the Spurs trade Dice, unless the Spurs make an agreement with Knicks to make a buyout. But Dice has like $10M left in his contract, it's too much for a late first rounder.

Long term, the Spurs are shooting the foot helping the Knicks with Melo, because Parker would make a solid core with Amare and Melo.

DesignatedT
10-05-2010, 11:47 AM
. It's like $7M for an little known backup player, plus the first rounder.

In all fairness he isn't really a little known backup player. He has steadily improved every year he has been in the league.

In 09 he started 70/82 games for the Knicks averaging 33mpg, 14pts and 5rbs

Last season he started 64 games and averaged 35 mpg , 15pts and 5rbs.

I understand the money aspect makes it a weird option but if the Spurs feel like he will turn out to be a stud than they would obviously be willing to extend his contract once he becomes a RFA.

Mcdyess 5.8 mil will also come off the books next year if he still decides to retire.

SenorSpur
10-05-2010, 12:05 PM
The thing with Chandler is, he's probably miscast as a starting SG, with the Knicks. It seems that miscasting/misjudging players is part of the fabric of the Knicks. On the Spurs, however, Chandler would make an immediate contribution as a very solid backup SF - his natural position.

That said, should he improve his outside shooting, he could very well evolve into a long-term solution as a starting SF. Because he's shown a propensity to develop his game each year he's been in the NBA, there's every reason to believe he'll continue to get better.

Blackjack
10-05-2010, 12:18 PM
jesus. for how long does Ingram write about NBA? he still doesn't know the basics about the CBA, but doesn't hesitate to write those "insider" speculations about possible trades.
Spurs can NOT use the TE for Chandler.
(it's to small and it's not possible to combine the TE with a players salary)
it's not Temple or Neal. neither one of them, nor both combined make enough to get the numbers work.
and a team that trades for Neal (who can't be traded before Dec. 15th anyhow) can't free cap space if they waive him, because his salary is guaranteed. and if it's Temple and the other unguaranteed contracts (Jerrells, Gee), they wouldn't need a third team, b/c Knicks can just waive them as well. (costs them just 210 K, because Temple and Gee have small guaranteed parts).
and I agree. Hoopsworld writing about it brings the chance that the trade for Chandler happens to below 1%. damn.

Has to say something that I took the time to read your post before the latest rumor and thoughts of Mr. Ingram.

I'm in no way an expert but I think the thing you hear ad nauseam almost more than any other rule or correction when talking CBA and contracts from those you look to learn from, is that you cannot combine exceptions. I can't tell you how often that question comes up or how many times I see someone like Coon address it.

The thing with Chandler is, he's probably miscast as a starting SG, with the Knicks. It seems that miscasting/misjudging players is part of the fabric of the Knicks. On the Spurs, however, Chandler would make an immediate contribution as a very solid backup SF - his natural position.

That said, should he improve his outside shooting, he could very well evolve into a long-term solution as a starting SF. Because he's shown a propensity to develop his game each year he's been in the NBA, there's every reason to believe he'll continue to get better.

Chandler's actually fine in that system for what D'Antoni wants. I'm sure he envisions him to be in somewhat of the same mold as Marion.

But for the good of Chandler and his ability to reach his potential, utilize all the gifts he's been given to excel at the defensive end and as a legitimate 'glue-guy' and championship component, it'd be best if he got out of that system and environment. That's my belief, anyway.

tav1
10-06-2010, 11:39 AM
FWIW: Bill Walker makes more sense for the Spurs. In theory, Chandler could be a good defender, but it's more or less RJ redux on offense. Chandler is a transition player with almost no outside shot.

Walker is a good three point shooter. Plus, it's easier to make salaries and taxes work if the Spurs trade for Walker. If I recall, Buford had some interest in Walker prior to the 2008 draft.

Blackjack
10-06-2010, 12:52 PM
Always liked Walker and will never forget the beast he was in high school, but I'm a little perplexed when looking up his numbers.

I was sure he was a great athlete, small forward at the NBA level, and that he couldn't shoot. Looking at the numbers for last year (in a decent amount of attempts - 116), he shot 43% from 3 and 50% from both the 10-15 and 16-23' ranges . . .

Oh, and he also happened to play and defend from the 2 better than any other position.

Health's a BIG question with him and those knees, but he definitely looks to be someone worth taking a flier on.

ace3g
10-06-2010, 01:20 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore?gid=2010100616

check out both Chandler and Walker, game is on NBATV right now; since they are playing in France

MaNu4Tres
10-06-2010, 01:29 PM
Always liked Walker and will never forget the beast he was in high school, but I'm a little perplexed when looking up his numbers.

I was sure he was a great athlete, small forward at the NBA level, and that he couldn't shoot. Looking at the numbers for last year (in a decent amount of attempts - 116), he shot 43% from 3 and 50% from both the 10-15 and 16-23' ranges . . .

Oh, and he also happened to play and defend from the 2 better than any other position.

Health's a BIG question with him and those knees, but he definitely looks to be someone worth taking a flier on.

You know how I feel about Mr. Walker...

On the Spurs-- Walker> Chandler people..

I'm so down for that to transpire.

mountainballer
10-06-2010, 01:32 PM
I also thought about Walker and yes, he is an interesting option.
on the other hand: Walker is 6'5'' at best (no matter how they listed him, look at him, he isn't taller) and book it, one of the reasons why the Knicks made Chandler available, is the strong play from Walker at the end of last season. however, Walker reportedly has bulked down for almost 25 lbs this summer (he looked like a line backer before) to become more mobile and more of a guard defender. in that role he isn't the best fit for the Spurs, who rather need someone, who could also defend the big SFs and perimeter PFs. (which Chandler is). the Knicks on the other hand have enough size at SF, even without Chandler. at this point Walker just makes more sense for them, Chandler for us.

btw: it's back again!

Knicks evaluating Wilson Chandler's progress, still working on deal for Portland's Rudy Fernandez
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/2010/10/06/2010-10-06_rudy_on_knicks_radar.html

I wonder if the whole talk doesn't come from a potential Melo trade, but from another try to get Rudy to NY. (and I bet his homesickness would be cured immediately the moment he lands in NY to play for D'Anthony)

that's what I thought a month ago:

much like Spain Rudy didn't have the most successful WC. on the other hand, he did remind the GMs on several occasions what a fantastic shooter he can be. from midrange as well as downtown. so there will be offers. but I really wonder what the Blazers expect. if true that they turned down the offer of Wilson Chandler, they are asking for a lot. (which is ok of course, any GM needs to at least try and I'm pretty sure Cho wanted to wait how Rudy performs at the WC). yes, they didn't really need Chandler (with Batum and Babbitt) and preferred a pick, (which the Knicks don't have).
what about a 3 teams deal? Spurs 2011 pick to Blazers, Rudy to Knicks and Chandler to Spurs? (with some fillers to make the numbers work)

ace3g
10-06-2010, 06:05 PM
I guess if nothings happens with Chandler, Spurs could look the Pacers way...
Pacers Open To Trading Wing Player

The Pacers currently have 17 players on their roster and will need to reduce that number by at least two before the start of the regular season.

Mike Wells of The Indianapolis Star writes that center Lance Allred, who was brought in as an extra body for training camp, will likely be cut.

Still, the Pacers will have to make a two-for-one trade in order to reach the magic number of 15 before the 2010-11 season begins.

They are open to trading one of their wing players because they have an excess of talent at the position.

Read more: http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/69436/20101006/pacers_open_to_trading_wing_player/#ixzz11cg3zlRA

Ditty
10-06-2010, 06:12 PM
I guess if nothings happens with Chandler, Spurs could look the Pacers way...
Pacers Open To Trading Wing Player

The Pacers currently have 17 players on their roster and will need to reduce that number by at least two before the start of the regular season.

Mike Wells of The Indianapolis Star writes that center Lance Allred, who was brought in as an extra body for training camp, will likely be cut.

Still, the Pacers will have to make a two-for-one trade in order to reach the magic number of 15 before the 2010-11 season begins.

They are open to trading one of their wing players because they have an excess of talent at the position.

Read more: http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/69436/20101006/pacers_open_to_trading_wing_player/#ixzz11cg3zlRA

paul george for 2011 1st round draft pick? do it RC :lol

Bruno
10-06-2010, 06:29 PM
The Pacers wing player who should be available is Brandon Rush.

benefactor
10-06-2010, 06:36 PM
The Pacers wing player who should be available is Brandon Rush.
Do it.

HarlemHeat37
10-06-2010, 06:47 PM
- Bill Walker's defense was terrible last year..average man defender, average p&r defender, horrible team defender..while he should get some credit for playing on a Knicks team that doesn't preach defense, he didn't show much last year..he's currently a worse defender than Chandler, even though he might have better defensive potential(which I disagree with)..

For that reason, as mountainballer stated, he lost weight during the off-season..

- Chandler gives the Spurs a better defender at the 3/4, and he gives a potential small ball tweener, which the Spurs have needed for years..

- I like Chandler, but like I said, I don't think he fits well with the Spurs, due to having Jefferson..RJ's contract really hurts..

- I don't think either guy would be a good fit here..

- Brandon Rush would be a great fit, probably the most realistic and ideal option for the Spurs..above average man defender, good team defender, good at running through screens, very good at defending the p&r..

While he isn't good at creating his own offense or slashing, he wouldn't really have to do that with the Spurs..he's a good spot-up shooter and screen shooter, which is all he would really need to do..

DPG21920
10-06-2010, 06:56 PM
Rush shot 41% from 3 on 302 attempts. He has nice athleticism and he is an ok defender. I would not be mad at that at all.

I think Chandler has more upside, but I would be happy with either. The Spurs desperately need a young SF prospect.

Rush isn't really that big though...

ohmwrecker
10-06-2010, 06:56 PM
Brandon Rush is reminiscent of a young Mike Finley . . . Pop would love him.

DPG21920
10-06-2010, 06:57 PM
Brandon Rush is reminiscent of a young Mike Finley . . . Pop would love him.

Except he can't score nearly as well and he is focused more on defense. He is not nearly as athletic either.

chasky
10-06-2010, 06:58 PM
Pacers Roster

2010-11 Roster
NUM PLAYER POS HT WT DOB FROM YRS
4 Lance Allred C 6-11 250 02/02/1981 Weber State 1
2 Darren Collison G 6-0 160 08/23/1987 UCLA 1
17 Mike Dunleavy F-G 6-9 230 09/15/1980 Duke 8
5 T.J. Ford G 6-0 165 03/24/1983 Texas 6
10 Jeff Foster C 6-11 250 01/16/1977 Texas State 11
24 Paul George F 6-8 210 05/02/1990 Fresno State R
33 Danny Granger F-G 6-8 228 04/20/1983 New Mexico 5
50 Tyler Hansbrough F 6-9 250 11/03/1985 North Carolina 1
55 Roy Hibbert C 7-2 278 12/11/1986 Georgetown 2
1 Dahntay Jones G-F 6-6 210 12/27/1980 Duke 7
44 Solomon Jones F 6-10 245 07/16/1984 South Florida 4
32 Josh McRoberts F 6-10 240 02/28/1987 Duke 3
41 James Posey F 6-8 217 01/13/1977 Xavier (Ohio) 11
22 A.J. Price G 6-2 181 10/07/1986 Connecticut 1
15 Magnum Rolle F 6-11 225 02/03/1986 Louisiana Tech R
25 Brandon Rush G 6-6 210 07/07/1985 Kansas 2
6 Lance Stephenson G 6-5 210 09/05/1990 Cincinnati R

Being realistic, probably we can't match Salaries.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/indiana.htm
http://hoopshype.com/salaries/san_antonio.htm

ohmwrecker
10-06-2010, 07:02 PM
Except he can't score nearly as well and he is focused more on defense. He is not nearly as athletic either.

He is more focused on d because that is his role. Also, a good sign that he is willing to play that role. Finley used to be a pretty decent defender, but he was always used more as an offensive weapon early. I do agree that Rush doesn't have quite the hops that young Finley did though.

DPG21920
10-06-2010, 07:04 PM
I know that defense is Rush's role, but the point I was making is that even though Finley was/could have been a decent defender, his offense was so good that you could not make him a defensive specialist.

Rush has to be because his offense is not that great. That is not a bad thing and I like Rush a lot as a role player. He has shown some nice flashes.

ace3g
10-06-2010, 07:31 PM
didn't know about this..

Brandon Rush(notes) – Rush has been suspended for the first five games of the season for violating the NBA’s drug policy on three separate occasions last year.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AnBHPkHzI4ULUsZB.iaLZ.jYPaB4?slug=teamre ports-2010-nba-ind

Chieflion
10-06-2010, 07:33 PM
didn't know about this..

Brandon Rush(notes) – Rush has been suspended for the first five games of the season for violating the NBA’s drug policy on three separate occasions last year.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AnBHPkHzI4ULUsZB.iaLZ.jYPaB4?slug=teamre ports-2010-nba-ind

I knew about this. Seriously, this is why the Spurs would not pick this guy up. The Pacers can't wait to trade him away, them trying to have a clean slate after the brawl and all, with ownership problems. Problematic guys like him would be the first one to go.

objective
10-06-2010, 07:36 PM
the brightside to his doping is that there aren't any escalating suspensions for any future weed pops. 5 games at a time for all subsequent positive tests.

Unless he blows off the mandated NBA Program for drugs, then yeah, it's a the length of the program plus 6 months suspended.

Blackjack
10-06-2010, 07:40 PM
Do it.

:tu

One of the few players out there that could really potentially be the type of player the Spurs need.

objective
10-06-2010, 07:52 PM
I couldn't get Rush's hotzones chart to pull up on nba.com, couldn't get any individual players to come up. I wonder how he did from the corners. I know he shot over 40% for all 2010 but the corners are what counts.

yavozerb
10-06-2010, 07:52 PM
I think would prefer Rush over chandler...But same as chandler rumors, who or what do you give up? I think you have to wait and see how your current roster plays early in the season before making a trade like this.

objective
10-06-2010, 08:02 PM
I think would prefer Rush over chandler...But same as chandler rumors, who or what do you give up? I think you have to wait and see how your current roster plays early in the season before making a trade like this.

one factor in moving for Rush before the season starts could be that Pacers still haven't picked up his option for next year and the deadline is the 31st and are publicly non-committal.

One positive to Rush over Chandler would the ability to guarantee having him for the next season without having to worry about being outbid in restricted free agency like with Chandler.

If the Pacers don't pick up his option due to his drug issues, his appeal drops.

SenorSpur
10-06-2010, 09:15 PM
I admit Rush wouldn't be a bad option, but in comparison, Chandler is taller, longer and more physical than Rush. A solid backup SF, for now, and small-ball 4-man. The kind that Pop would love.

Too bad the Pacers aren't looking to unload Paul George instead.

Sean Cagney
10-06-2010, 10:47 PM
Who cares who we would prefer if it will not happen? Neither will happen lol, I stopped on this thread a while ago (Spurs fan names random guy would fit and then it turns into an option lol). I know this is a board and we can talk, but nobody is getting traded here.

dunkman
10-06-2010, 11:07 PM
Who cares who we would prefer if it will not happen? Neither will happen lol, I stopped on this thread a while ago (Spurs fan names random guy would fit and then it turns into an option lol). I know this is a board and we can talk, but nobody is getting traded here.

RC said the Spurs wanted to sign a wing defender (which was a surprise, that role should be covered by George Hill, RJ and the rookies).

The Spurs singed Simmons to summer league, between him and Gee, Pop said the Spurs are going to pick who defends better.

Then some twitts and there it goes.

mountainballer
10-07-2010, 03:18 AM
first off, if the Spurs get the chance to trade for Rush without give up much, they should do it.
if there is a chance to get either Rush or Chandler for the same price, I would take Chandler for sure.
yes, Rush brings in the typical Spurs wing player profile (defense and 3pt shot), but IMO Chandler covers more needs. and I agree, the upside of Chandler is far better. (age is also a point there, Rush is 25, Chandler 23)
Rush possesses exactly the same size like Anderson (6'5'' to 6'4.75'' without shoes, Rush has the better wingspan, but only the same standing reach), if Anderson isn't a total liability on defense, he will provide so much more impact overall, than Rush ever could. so Rush would give us further more depth at the position, where this roster has the most depth anyhow. and while Rush can play some SF (like Anderson) but he isn't a good option to defend the big SFs/small PFs. Chandler is.