PDA

View Full Version : The most awesome hybrid car ever

DarrinS
09-30-2010, 07:33 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1316273/E-Type-Jaguar-supercar-200mph-electric-hybrid-jet-engine-costs-200K.html?ITO=1490

Can I get some kind of cash-for-clunkers subsidy? Because this car, for the super-wealthy, enviro-hypochondriac, costs $200K.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/09/30/article-1316273-0B64F5C1000005DC-222_964x345.jpg

clambake
09-30-2010, 07:35 PM
i suspect your car was a clunker when you bought it.

DarrinS
09-30-2010, 07:40 PM
i suspect your car was a clunker when you bought it.

Meh, it's no clunker, but it's not nearly as cool as that hybrid. I'm just not a person that spends more on a car than my house.

LnGrrrR
09-30-2010, 07:51 PM
Meh, it's no clunker, but it's not nearly as cool as that hybrid. I'm just not a person that spends more on a car than my house.

Pretty sure that the people who can afford that car also own a house more expensive than that car. :lol

FuzzyLumpkins
09-30-2010, 08:05 PM
It goes 205 mph. Of course its going to be mindlessly expensive. What are the S600s going for nowadays? $125k? They do not go that fast.

4>0rings
09-30-2010, 08:10 PM
That's not bad at all for 200k.

boutons_deux
09-30-2010, 08:44 PM
http://reviews.cnet.com/2300-31349_7-10005017.html?s=3&o=10005029&tag=mncol;page

Bartleby
09-30-2010, 08:59 PM
Actually, it's more like $320K, but it's still a cool car.

ElNono
09-30-2010, 10:18 PM
Kickass doesn't begin to describe that car... wow

Wild Cobra
09-30-2010, 11:22 PM
Concept cars seldom make it to market.

MannyIsGod
09-30-2010, 11:28 PM
Enviro-Hypochondriac?

SMH

Anyway I think the CR-Z is a pretty damn good hybrid that is extremely affordable.

CosmicCowboy
10-01-2010, 10:26 AM
I was wondering when someone was going to finally wise up and start using turbines as the auxiliary power source. I could really see electric cars with small diesel turbine auxiliary becoming the "workhorse" of the economical hybrids of the future.

Wild Cobra
10-02-2010, 12:23 PM
I was wondering when someone was going to finally wise up and start using turbines as the auxiliary power source. I could really see electric cars with small diesel turbine auxiliary becoming the "workhorse" of the economical hybrids of the future.
I don't see them making it into the consumer market. In my opinion, they're heavy to make the shielding required in case the blades fly apart. They can be very dangerous if improperly maintained. They're expensive enough to begin with.

CosmicCowboy
10-03-2010, 10:12 AM
I don't know...I think a reliable small turbine/generator could be mass produced with a strong, light, composite case. It could be an interesting concept.

boutons_deux
10-03-2010, 11:27 AM
The Germans and Japanese have pretty much perfected small, aluminum, clean 4-cyl diesels, which make a lot more sense for hybrids than gasoline, and they could burn bio-diesel if a source was ever reasonable. These diesels get better mileage now than complex hybrids, and don't have inevitable multi $1000s battery replacement cost.

But the Americans have been marketed by Detroit to against diesel anything. All the European and Japanese mfrs sell small diesel cars everywhere but USA, primarily because marketing hasn't skewed the public, and high-taxed fuel forces people to think about running costs.

Wild Cobra
10-03-2010, 01:48 PM
I don't know...I think a reliable small turbine/generator could be mass produced with a strong, light, composite case. It could be an interesting concept.
I agree, if that is in fact possible. I just don't think it is. Yes, I could be wrong, but how much would these alloys cost, and what about the complications of injury during traffic accidents?

Wild Cobra
10-03-2010, 01:50 PM
The Germans and Japanese have pretty much perfected small, aluminum, clean 4-cyl diesels, which make a lot more sense for hybrids than gasoline, and they could burn bio-diesel if a source was ever reasonable. These diesels get better mileage now than complex hybrids, and don't have inevitable multi $1000s battery replacement cost.
LOL...

Cheap biodiesel is a very limited resource. Just how many cars do you think we can provide power for this way?

Wild Cobra
10-03-2010, 01:52 PM
For the record, I am for a future car that used direct methane fuel cells.

Yonivore
10-03-2010, 01:53 PM
For the record, I am for a future car that used direct methane fuel cells.
One that will run off the atmosphere surrounding and emanating from Uranus?

Wild Cobra
10-03-2010, 02:29 PM
One that will run off the atmosphere surrounding and emanating from Uranus?
LOL...

Now you're getting out there...

No, there is a fuel cell technology that needs better development that uses methane (the major component of natural gas) rather than hydrogen. Natural gas can be compressed denser and safer than hydrogen, and we have an abundance of it now. It is the best solution for today's technical state, but the AGW crowd will say NO because it still has a carbon footprint.

Yonivore
10-03-2010, 02:37 PM
LOL...

Now you're getting out there...

No, there is a fuel cell technology that needs better development that uses methane (the major component of natural gas) rather than hydrogen. Natural gas can be compressed denser and safer than hydrogen, and we have an abundance of it now. It is the best solution for today's technical state, but the AGW crowd will say NO because it still has a carbon footprint.
I'm sorry, did I say Uranus? I meant your anus. Another source of abundant methane.

There, that's closer to home.

Wild Cobra
10-03-2010, 03:13 PM
I'm sorry, did I say Uranus? I meant your anus. Another source of abundant methane.

There, that's closer to home.
That's exactly how I read your comment the first time.

Yonivore
10-03-2010, 03:17 PM
That's exactly how I read your comment the first time.
Yes, we all look forward to the day when they develop methane-recovery car seats and all you need to do is have a methane-producing diet to fuel your car.

Chili and beans anyone?

Wild Cobra
10-03-2010, 03:21 PM
Yes, we all look forward to the day when they develop methane-recovery car seats and all you need to do is have a methane-producing diet to fuel your car.

Chili and beans anyone?
LOL...

I remember seeing a gas collection patent years ago where a devise was put up a persons ass, to collect methane. Please stop giving me those mental pictures.

boutons_deux
10-05-2010, 06:06 AM
75 mpg from a production diesel (of course, it's not American. America can't do shit anymore)

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2010/10/diesel-vw-goes-1531-miles-on-one-tank/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+wired%2Findex+%28Wired%3A+Ind ex+3+%28Top+Stories+2%29%29

=========

Meanwhile, the can-do Americans:

"first phase of the national program that will boost fuel efficiency to 35.5 miles per gallon by model year 2016."

http://www.greenbiz.com/news/2010/10/04/obama-looks-ahead-higher-2017-2025-fuel-standards

Wild Cobra
10-05-2010, 08:01 AM
75 mpg from a production diesel (of course, it's not American. America can't do shit anymore)

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2010/10/diesel-vw-goes-1531-miles-on-one-tank/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+wired%2Findex+%28Wired%3A+Ind ex+3+%28Top+Stories+2%29%29

=========

Meanwhile, the can-do Americans:

"first phase of the national program that will boost fuel efficiency to 35.5 miles per gallon by model year 2016."

http://www.greenbiz.com/news/2010/10/04/obama-looks-ahead-higher-2017-2025-fuel-standards
Sure we can:

Wash. man hopes to drive his homemade car to Mexico on one tank of fuel (http://www.krem.com/news/northwest-news/Wash-man-hopes-to-drive-his-homemade-car-to-Mexico-on-one-tank-of-fuel-101829303.html)

He did make the trip, traveled 1,478 miles from Washington state to Mexico. He got 119.1 mpg with just 12.4 gallons of fuel.

As for CAFE standards, along with environmental certification for registration, all we are doing is pricing the people with less means out of owning their own transportation, and forcing them to use public transportation-.

MiamiHeat
10-05-2010, 10:35 AM
Capitalism at work.

Petroleum industry lobby lawmakers and bribe and buy anyone they can to make sure they do not lose their gold mine in America. Keep us with shitty gasoline guzzling cars while their for-profit only interests are hurting the population, the environment, and the advancement of human technology.

Wild Cobra
10-05-2010, 10:43 AM
Capitalism at work.

Petroleum industry lobby lawmakers and bribe and buy anyone they can to make sure they do not lose their gold mine in America. Keep us with shitty gasoline guzzling cars while their for-profit only interests are hurting the population, the environment, and the advancement of human technology.
Well, when the demand of the people to have fuel efficient cars is greater, don't you think the industry will make a supply for that demand?

We love out sporty and large cars. I'm happy with a Z28 that gets 18 MPG city and 27 MPG freeway. I'm not one who's looking for the most efficient car. Why do people like you want to take away my right to choose?

TeyshaBlue
10-05-2010, 11:07 AM

But the Americans have been marketed by Detroit to against diesel anything. All the European and Japanese mfrs sell small diesel cars everywhere but USA, primarily because marketing hasn't skewed the public, and high-taxed fuel forces people to think about running costs.

It's not so much marketing as ineptitude. Remember the GM diesels of the 80's? Hell, Ford was shoving Mazda built diesels in anything they could...and they were terrible engines. Diesels haven't achieved the refinement necessary to be accepted by the populance at large until fairly recently.
I used to own a '82 VW Rabbit Diesel pickup. It would return damned near 45mpg on the highway, but it was the original 98 pound weakling. Passing became an unwelcome game of chicken as I mercilessly flogged that 52hp machine. It was very entertaining tho...you had to drive it like an F1 car just to be able to merge and blend with traffic.:lol

LnGrrrR
10-05-2010, 12:36 PM
It's not so much marketing as ineptitude. Remember the GM diesels of the 80's? Hell, Ford was shoving Mazda built diesels in anything they could...and they were terrible engines. Diesels haven't achieved the refinement necessary to be accepted by the populance at large until fairly recently.
I used to own a '82 VW Rabbit Diesel pickup. It would return damned near 45mpg on the highway, but it was the original 98 pound weakling. Passing became an unwelcome game of chicken as I mercilessly flogged that 52hp machine. It was very entertaining tho...you had to drive it like an F1 car just to be able to merge and blend with traffic.:lol

:lol What, no love for the Geo Metro?

CosmicCowboy
10-05-2010, 01:11 PM

LOL, I remember those. My Father-in-law was thinking about buying one of those VW diesel pickups and we went to the dealership (Rod East Volkswagen?) The salesman was talking to my FIL about how tough they were while I was kicking the tires and checking it out...I pushed down on the back of the bed by the bumper and it went WAY down just leaning on it and then*sproing* bounced right back up...I waited till it got to the top and pushed down again...after doing that about six times I had the bed bouncing like a basketball and the rear tires were literally bouncing off the ground...