PDA

View Full Version : One year after fatal Hwy.16 bike accident, driver indicted

PM5K
10-01-2010, 12:59 PM
SAN ANTONIO -- One year ago Friday, a couple out bicycling in Helotes was fatally hit by a truck. It was reported as an accident, but now the driver is facing serious charges. LINK (http://www.kens5.com/news/local/One-year-after-fatal-Hwy-16-bike-accident-driver-indicted-104105643.html)

I don't know if we talked about this one a year ago, but this one really annoyed me back then. Initially the police called it an accident and said the driver wouldn't face charges. I think a lot of people use the term "accident" too loosely. You shouldn't be able to just run two people over and kill them then turn around and say "Oops!"

I don't know that he'll get the punishment he deserves but at least it's something.

Cry Havoc
10-01-2010, 01:02 PM
LINK (http://www.kens5.com/news/local/One-year-after-fatal-Hwy-16-bike-accident-driver-indicted-104105643.html)

I don't know if we talked about this one a year ago, but this one really annoyed me back then. Initially the police called it an accident and said the driver wouldn't face charges. I think a lot of people use the term "accident" too loosely. You shouldn't be able to just run two people over and kill them then turn around and say "Oops!"

I don't know that he'll get the punishment he deserves but at least it's something.

Definitely. If you kill two people through stupidity with your vehicle, you should be in prison. Even if you're a cop.

PM5K
10-01-2010, 01:11 PM
I agree. Another one I read today was about two kids that were in a car, they somehow managed to start it, get it in gear, and run over a woman and her baby that were trying to stop the vehicle. How the fuck is that an accident? Where were the parents and why were two children alone in a vehicle with the keys?

I just don't get how that's an accident. Did the kids intend to run over and kill a womans baby? No, I can't imagine they did, but these children's parents still had a responsibility to supervise them.

If it were me I'd feel responsible, I wouldn't just say "Oh well it was an accident, shit happens".

MaNuMaNiAc
10-01-2010, 01:12 PM
how exactly could it have been just an accident when the truck left the road and hit the couple without ever even trying to brake?

Seems pretty obvious the dude wasn't paying attention.

CosmicCowboy
10-01-2010, 01:15 PM
I'm glad he will have a real jury that hopefully gets to hear all the facts.

Sisk
10-01-2010, 01:49 PM
If he was texting and late to work he should get probation and some community service IMO.

Gutter92
10-01-2010, 01:52 PM
I bet he's wishing he was a cop right about now...

MannyIsGod
10-01-2010, 02:12 PM
I remember you posting a thread about it PM5K. As a cyclist I can firmly say that San Antonio drivers are fucking horrible when it comes to dealing with them properly. In the time I've been in NM I've done far more mileage than I ever did in San Antonio and have had a fraction of the encounters here with motorists that I did in SA. I've been cut off by drivers turning right in front of me twice but other than that no problems. In San Antonio I was HIT by drivers before. Definitely a regional awareness issue.

thispego
10-01-2010, 04:22 PM
LINK (http://www.kens5.com/news/local/One-year-after-fatal-Hwy-16-bike-accident-driver-indicted-104105643.html)

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138625

how could you not remember pm5k? you really are dumb as shit

phxspurfan
10-01-2010, 04:35 PM
I remember you posting a thread about it PM5K. As a cyclist I can firmly say that San Antonio drivers are fucking horrible when it comes to dealing with them properly. In the time I've been in NM I've done far more mileage than I ever did in San Antonio and have had a fraction of the encounters here with motorists that I did in SA. I've been cut off by drivers turning right in front of me twice but other than that no problems. In San Antonio I was HIT by drivers before. Definitely a regional awareness issue.

TBH I didn't know what to do when I was making a right with a cyclist next to me yesterday. I passed him since he was a slow bastard but then I had to slow down and make my right into my apartment complex. I knew he was there and wasn't sure whether to completely stop (and almost get rear ended) to let him pass slow as molasses or just make my right and force him to make a stop. Fortunately no one was barreling down my ass so I just stopped and let him go before making my right but I've never seen any "rules" about that in any driver manual, and I know other drivers sure as hell don't even know what a drivers manual is and would just rear end me because theyre busy texting.

Also I've seen cyclists just blow on through four way stops, but maybe that's just a NorCal cyclist thing. It's kind of stupid since they want the same rights as motorists and even have their own dedicated lanes here, yet they seem to discard the laws that don't help them.

thispego
10-01-2010, 04:38 PM
Also I've seen cyclists just blow on through four way stops, but maybe that's just a NorCal cyclist thing. It's kind of stupid since they want the same rights as motorists and even have their own dedicated lanes here, yet they seem to discard the laws that don't help them.

it happens everywhere

MannyIsGod
10-01-2010, 04:55 PM
TBH I didn't know what to do when I was making a right with a cyclist next to me yesterday. I passed him since he was a slow bastard but then I had to slow down and make my right into my apartment complex. I knew he was there and wasn't sure whether to completely stop (and almost get rear ended) to let him pass slow as molasses or just make my right and force him to make a stop. Fortunately no one was barreling down my ass so I just stopped and let him go before making my right but I've never seen any "rules" about that in any driver manual, and I know other drivers sure as hell don't even know what a drivers manual is and would just rear end me because theyre busy texting.

Typically if you're ahead then you make a right just like any other vehicle was behind you. You signal and make your right. The situations that happened to me where from cars coming from behind me and turning in front of me. Its pretty much the equivalent of the asshole on the highway who cuts you off to get to the exit ramp at the last second.

Bike lanes tend to really make this a problem with drivers that simply don't pay attention. If you're crossing that lane and there's a bike in it you should be aware. Usually I won't cause drivers to go any slower - on most streets that are not uphill that I ride on I'm going the speed limit of 25 or pretty damn close to it yet I have idiots that will go out of their way to speed up and pass me just because I'm on a bike even though they're going to have to stop at a stop sign right after they pass me causing the same shit.

As for guys that blow through stop signs and in general do stupid shit that happens everywhere. I hate to see cyclists engage in stupid behavior but I pretty much see just as many if not more drivers (proportionately) do stupid shit too. If I'm doing in city driving on a road it can be a pain since some stop lights don't trigger with just a bike but I've never blown through a light.

Wild Cobra
10-02-2010, 01:36 PM
Well, from statistics I've seen, most accidents with a bicycle are the bicyclists fault. Never seen an accident between a bike and car, but from my own observation, every near accident was because of the bicyclists actions.

MaNuMaNiAc
10-02-2010, 02:21 PM
Well, from statistics I've seen, most accidents with a bicycle are the bicyclists fault. Never seen an accident between a bike and car, but from my own observation, every near accident was because of the bicyclists actions.

Are you implying this accident in particular may have been the bicyclists fault?

boutons_deux
10-02-2010, 03:05 PM
Lesson: WC is always for the powerful side and always against individuals, usually criminalizing the individuals.

MannyIsGod
10-02-2010, 03:08 PM

Can you link those statistics? I would be interested in seeing them.

MannyIsGod
10-02-2010, 03:09 PM
Here is some anecdotal evidence that its not nearly always the cyclists fault.

http://bikesafer.blogspot.com/

ALWAYS bet on BLACK
10-02-2010, 03:11 PM
Riding bikes on a busy fucking road is just stupid. Almost as stupid as the people who jog/run down busy roads.

If you want to ride a bike, do it in a residential neighborhood.

If you want to jog/run, do it in a residential neighborhood or go to a track.

Roads...especially HIGHWAYS are meant for V E H I C L E S moving fast!

Wild Cobra
10-02-2010, 03:15 PM
Are you implying this accident in particular may have been the bicyclists fault?
No. It appears this one wasn't. I didn't say that a year ago, and I won't now without more evidence.

The Dawin Award premise prevails however. Nobody in their right mind bicycles on a road with such a speed limit. If I recall, it was a 65 MPH zone.

I don't see how any prosecution will occur. In a civil suit, maybe. I guess we will see, only the future knows.

ALWAYS bet on BLACK
10-02-2010, 03:18 PM
So they decided to be a cutesy couple and ride a two-sy bike on a fucking highway. How cute...

almost seems like something some self hating, pretentious liberal austin faggots would do.

Wild Cobra
10-02-2010, 03:19 PM
Lesson: WC is always for the powerful side and always against individuals, usually criminalizing the individuals.
Are you really that stupid?

MannyIsGod
10-02-2010, 03:19 PM
No. It appears this one wasn't. I didn't say that a year ago, and I won't now without more evidence.

The Dawin Award premise prevails however. Nobody in their right mind bicycles on a road with such a speed limit. If I recall, it was a 65 MPH zone.

I don't see how any prosecution will occur. In a civil suit, maybe. I guess we will see, only the future knows.

A lot of road cycling is done on roads with those speed limits. Its not at all uncommon or incredibly unsafe. You expect people to handle their vehicle properly and most do but the speed limit on a road is never an automatic decision maker on whether or not its safe to ride on.

Wild Cobra
10-02-2010, 03:29 PM
A lot of road cycling is done on roads with those speed limits. Its not at all uncommon or incredibly unsafe. You expect people to handle their vehicle properly and most do but the speed limit on a road is never an automatic decision maker on whether or not its safe to ride on.
I guess a lot of people are stupid.

MannyIsGod
10-02-2010, 03:33 PM
Not really. A lot of those roads don't have much traffic. Its not nearly as unsafe as you make it out to be. Just because something is a highway doesn't mean its bumper to bumper traffic.

MaNuMaNiAc
10-02-2010, 03:50 PM

from the article

The State says while traveling south on Hwy. 16, Sullaway's truck completely left the roadway and traveled across the grass, reentering the paved roadway and then striking the couple which caused their deaths.

What am I missing here?

Cry Havoc
10-02-2010, 04:11 PM
I guess a lot of people are stupid.

Statistically speaking, driving a car is stupid, as it's one of the most likely ways to die.

I guess people who drive cars are stupid.

BlackSwordsMan
10-02-2010, 04:40 PM
He's a cop hes entitled to one mistake a year let it go folks.

ChuckD
10-02-2010, 05:17 PM

Uh, no he's not. He's like a building contractor, or something. If he had been Blue, there would never have been a consideration of prosecution.

BlairForceDejuan
10-02-2010, 05:55 PM
Uh, no he's not. He's like a building contractor, or something. If he had been Blue, there would never have been a consideration of prosecution.

o rly?

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/sapd_officer_arrested_on_suspicion_of_drunken_driv ing_104116339.html

thispego
10-02-2010, 06:10 PM
o rly?

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/sapd_officer_arrested_on_suspicion_of_drunken_driv ing_104116339.html

lololololololollolooolololololooololol check out that picture of nelson dozier. crofl! What a chode :lol

Wild Cobra
10-03-2010, 02:56 PM
Not really. A lot of those roads don't have much traffic. Its not nearly as unsafe as you make it out to be. Just because something is a highway doesn't mean its bumper to bumper traffic.
Bumper to bumper would be safer.

When I was young and stupid, I used to travel highway 197 into Washington, and go to Horsethief Lake on my 10 speed, from my house near 7th and Lincoln, in The Dalles. The last time I made that trip was when I heard a car behind me have a blowout, and ditched myself and my bike as it came strait for me. That was about 32 years ago. I wonder if the couple had headphones on, and couldn't hear the tire squeal, horn, etc. If I had headphones on and couldn't hear what was happening behind me, I probably would be dead.

Anything can happen to cause an accident between two vehicles. You don't want to be in something as unprotected as a bicycle should an accident occur with a car, at highway speeds.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x262/Wild_Cobra/satellite%20view/7th-lincolntohorsethieflake.jpg (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=7th+and+lincoln+the+dalles+to+horsethief+la ke&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF8&hl=en&t=h&z=13&saddr=7th+and+lincoln+the+dalles&daddr=horsethief+lake&geocode=FSnOtwIdc8vG-Cltgjwodh6WVDEsezsr8Wf4OQ%3BFUd7uAIdvx3I-CkJJWfwfR-WVDEKd4GmBOGLTA)

MannyIsGod
10-03-2010, 03:51 PM
:lol

So, because you nearly had a freak accident the millions of cyclists who use these roads all the time should not do so.

Ok.

scott
10-03-2010, 04:43 PM
I wonder if <victim> were <improbable circumstance> to <cause my incredibly stupid position to be valid>.

Wild Cobra
10-03-2010, 04:47 PM
:lol

So, because you nearly had a freak accident the millions of cyclists who use these roads all the time should not do so.

Ok.
There you go again making incorrect ASSumptions into other peoples words.

Wild Cobra
10-03-2010, 04:49 PM
---babbling misquoted slander---
Wow...

Do you always expose your ass like that?

ChuckD
10-03-2010, 05:15 PM

o rly?

I have no idea what you two are talking about. The thread is about, and the rest of us are discussing an accident from a year ago on far out Bandera road where a building contractor wiped out a couple on a tandem bike, no drinking or cops involved.

rly

MannyIsGod
10-03-2010, 05:54 PM
There you go again making incorrect ASSumptions into other peoples words.

Posts on a discussion forums are not meant to be read into? :lol

I'm sorry I didn't realize you were just here to babble about shit incoherently. I figured you were trying to communicate your ideas.

My bad.

baseline bum
10-03-2010, 05:56 PM
CROFL @ scott's post. :lmao

CuckingFunt
10-03-2010, 08:06 PM
CROFL @ scott's post. :lmao

Seconded.