PDA

View Full Version : FIFA 11 and Pro Evolution 2011 Thread

Cry Havoc
10-01-2010, 01:09 PM
Since we've taken over the NBA Elite 11 thread quite well, I just thought I'd make a new thread for all the fans of football out there.

I'll be playing both demos over the weekend, and I"ll try to share as much of my impressions as possible. Then, I will buy the game I like the most.

After reading numerous threads and reviews, I'm truly deadlocked at 50/50 on which to get. So it's up to the demos to convince me.

TDMVPDPOY
10-01-2010, 01:12 PM
havnt played fifa since 2000, now ive played PES3-4

very tempting to switch back to fifa...was planning to buy the game yesterday....

i think i should just save the money for something else

lefty
10-01-2010, 01:16 PM
Since we've taken over the NBA Elite 11 thread quite well, I just thought I'd make a new thread for all the fans of football out there.

I'll be playing both demos over the weekend, and I"ll try to share as much of my impressions as possible. Then, I will buy the game I like the most.

After reading numerous threads and reviews, I'm truly deadlocked at 50/50 on which to get. So it's up to the demos to convince me.
Yep form what I`ve heard, PES 11 looks good

resistanze
10-01-2010, 01:18 PM
I can't wait for PES, it's time to reclaim the football throne. As you've all seen by now, I'm not thrilled with FIFA 11.

IronMexican
10-01-2010, 01:27 PM
I'm pretty pumped for PES now.

resistanze
10-01-2010, 01:32 PM
I might end up getting PES for PS3 eventually as most of my friends now own it rather than the 360. Can't wait to play online.

resistanze
10-01-2010, 01:34 PM
Dayum, the PC already leaked. Might have to give it a spin as well. :lol

Cry Havoc
10-01-2010, 02:00 PM
I'm pretty pumped for PES now.

:lol You're just an EA hater! Hater!

IronMexican
10-01-2010, 02:12 PM
If it's anything like PES 2009, then you would be retarded for buying it. But if it's good, then this is great. Every sports game needs competition. Why a game like 2k9 could be so bad.

MannyIsGod
10-01-2010, 02:20 PM
I liked PES 2010 but I haven't played a FIFA in nearly 8 years. I was going to get it but I'm broke and I want 2k11 so I'll probably just wait for PES again. Plus, ML online sounds really really bad ass (it would be awesome to get a PES ML going on the PS3 here).

resistanze
10-01-2010, 07:57 PM
Good god the passing is so good in PES 2011 :cry

They did what FIFA 11 failed at miserably. You can't just press X and have your have ping to the closest guy. But A-B passes and 1-2 runs are done perfectly. Barca plays exactly like Barca. Best graphics BY FAR for a PES game and the best next gen PES game.

So good :cry

SAtown
10-01-2010, 11:10 PM
I've been playin PES 2011 PC for the past few days, it's freaking ridiculous. Even for a long time fan it takes a little while to get used to the manual passing and slower pace of the game. When playing Master League, you have to be aware of what you're doing or else shit hits the fan pretty fast. You have to focus a lot more on things in between games, like training and such. From the beginning it pretty much tells you to do things right or else the players start getting pissed and discouraged pretty fast. It's all about using "reset prevention" as well. It makes things a little more interesting.

The Stadium Creator/Editor is badass too. It took me like 25-30 minutes to make a few decent stadiums: Vicente Calderon, Mestalla, Artemio Franchi, Ennio Tardini. I'm sure the option files are going to be good

As for the reviews, aside from the ign one, FIFA has pretty much gotten better reviews (as usual) because a) it's certain that EA has its hands tightly gripped on these websites' balls and b) FIFA is a great game to pick up and play if you have a few minutes, like these reviewers obviously did.

With PES 2011 and NBA 2k11 coming out soon in USA (along with a solid effort from The Show as usual), it has to be pretty much the best year ever for sports games (imagine what NFL 2k11 would've been like after 5 or so years on next gen...)

SAtown
10-01-2010, 11:14 PM
Plus, ML online sounds really really bad ass (it would be awesome to get a PES ML going on the PS3 here).

Man i'm in. It'd be nice to play someone in the USA rather than all the people from South America. It's nothing against them, just that the connection always blows, and Konami servers aren't exactly the best.

Oh, and now there's news that anything edited offline can be used online. So for example, someone can actually be Chelsea (rather than London FC), playing in a created Stamford Bridge, and using custom chants. Pretty badass

resistanze
10-02-2010, 02:31 PM
I've been loving the game but struggling to play really well due to plaing on this rickety piece of shit:
http://gearmedia.ign.com/gear/image/saitek_p750_review_small.jpg

Then it occurred to me, why can't I use my PS3 controller to play on my PC? Lo and behold, Motionjoy drivers allow this to happen. I'm sure some of you already know this, but I've never attempted to use a controller o my PC in years.

SAtown
10-02-2010, 02:45 PM
Then it occurred to me, why can't I use my PS3 controller to play on my PC? Lo and behold, Motionjoy drivers allow this to happen. I'm sure some of you already know this, but I've never attempted to use a controller o my PC in years.

Yeah I miraculously got motionjoy to work yesterday because I didn't want to play on the piece of shit they call an Xbox360 controller. Sony should just come out with drivers like Microsoft did to just save us all the trouble.

resistanze
10-02-2010, 04:13 PM
Yeah I miraculously got motionjoy to work yesterday because I didn't want to play on the piece of shit they call an Xbox360 controller. Sony should just come out with drivers like Microsoft did to just save us all the trouble.

Man, I almost went out and bought the wireless receiver for the XBOX controller, that's how bad my PC gamepad is.

One thing on PES 2011 that makes me LOL is the commentary. I'm still hearing phrases I heard in Winning Eleven 6.

Cry Havoc
10-02-2010, 04:51 PM
Downloaded both today.

So far I've played each demo a couple of times.

There are things I like about both.

Fifa's on ball defense is awesome.

But the way the passing system works and just the general player movement is horrible. The defense is really slow... looks like after a while it would give up a lot of easy goals.

So far I'm liking Pro Evo more, although I'm not really pleased with the tackling animations in either game.

IronMexican
10-02-2010, 07:56 PM
Yeah, dive tackling in FIFA is ugly.

resistanze
10-02-2010, 10:27 PM

Hey you know how to edit kits well? I'm trying to edit Arsenal's jersey to include both the Nike Swoosh and Fly Emirates logo, but I can only select one. Do I have to add them to one image?

lefty
10-02-2010, 10:45 PM
Hey you know how to edit kits well? I'm trying to edit Arsenal's jersey to include both the Nike Swoosh and Fly Emirates logo, but I can only select one. Do I have to add them to one image?
TBH, I dont care about the license or real names

The real teams and real players are in there, and if PES 11 is as good as FIFA 11 (which seems to be the case based on the early reviews), It's good enough for me

Damn, i remember when PES was the shit on PS2

resistanze
10-02-2010, 11:35 PM
TBH, I dont care about the license or real names

The real teams and real players are in there, and if PES 11 is as good as FIFA 11 (which seems to be the case based on the early reviews), It's good enough for me

Damn, i remember when PES was the shit on PS2

Sorry, I just can't play with my favourite team as "North London" :lol. I don't really care about the rest. But still, they give you the option to customize everything about the team, which is why my lazy ass is going to wait for someone else to release a mod pack.

MannyIsGod
10-02-2010, 11:40 PM
Yeah - I let the other people release option files :lol

SAtown
10-03-2010, 01:49 AM

I wish i could help, but i myself have never touched the kit/player editing, I just wait for option files. The only things i've done so far are transfers, changed the logos of the leagues and cups, and made a few stadiums (EPL, Serie A, and La Liga)

I remember OFs used to be a lot easier to implement into the game back when Action Replay was used. Now (on ps3) you have to copy and paste every single item one by one and it's a little irritating. Don't get me started on the PC version, i have absolutely no clue how to use AFS explorer and all thats needed for PC patches. They already have good looking patches too:

http://www.pes-patch.com/

TDMVPDPOY
10-03-2010, 02:53 AM
did you guys use to play virtual soccer on those big arcade machines?? man they use to be popular back in the 90s, ppl would line up to play it or challenge anyone....

lefty
10-03-2010, 04:29 AM
did you guys use to play virtual soccer on those big arcade machines?? man they use to be popular back in the 90s, ppl would line up to play it or challenge anyone....
Aw shit, I remember now

Good times :lol

I also remember playing the 1st ever PES, it was on the Super Nintendo.
It was a lot of fun; if you fired a powerful shot wide, it would hit one of the photogrophers and knock him down :lmao

SAtown
10-03-2010, 11:00 AM
Aw shit, I remember now

Good times :lol

I also remember playing the 1st ever PES, it was on the Super Nintendo.
It was a lot of fun; if you fired a powerful shot wide, it would hit one of the photogrophers and knock him down :lmao

IIRC, it was International Superstar Soccer, no?

TDMVPDPOY
10-03-2010, 02:21 PM

yeh this also

it was mainly national teams

Cry Havoc
10-03-2010, 02:28 PM
So what do you guys think so far?

The deciding factor for me might end up being Master League. I just love it. It's like an RPG inside of a soccer game. That's why I'm back to leaning in favor of PES.

lefty
10-03-2010, 02:39 PM
I think I'm getting PES this year

I had to go with FIFA the previous years because PES went downhill, but in my PS2 days, it was all about PES

There is something about PES that I have missed

lefty
10-03-2010, 02:40 PM
YEp

resistanze
10-03-2010, 03:19 PM
So what do you guys think so far?

The deciding factor for me might end up being Master League. I just love it. It's like an RPG inside of a soccer game. That's why I'm back to leaning in favor of PES.

Master League is masterful. I just started this morning and almost forgot I was meeting a friend at the gym before work :lol.

I actually haven't played Master League since, WE10? They've really expanded the options.

To a point you made earlier, I'm not a big fan of the defense/tackling. IMO, it feels a little wild/uncontrolled/flukey. If feels like if you pressure defend your opponent, eventually the ball will just pop loose a lot of the time without any actual tackling animation.

One cool thing is that I feel I haven't even scratched the surface of the feint/trick system. I've already saved one replay of a good building and score, but I can imagine once you master all the tricks the kind of plays you can string together.

resistanze
10-03-2010, 05:52 PM
I wish i could help, but i myself have never touched the kit/player editing, I just wait for option files. The only things i've done so far are transfers, changed the logos of the leagues and cups, and made a few stadiums (EPL, Serie A, and La Liga)

I remember OFs used to be a lot easier to implement into the game back when Action Replay was used. Now (on ps3) you have to copy and paste every single item one by one and it's a little irritating. Don't get me started on the PC version, i have absolutely no clue how to use AFS explorer and all thats needed for PC patches. They already have good looking patches too:

http://www.pes-patch.com/

:toast Awesome man. I used the PES 2011 kit and got everything looking legit!

AFS explorer isn't too bad to use, wa able to get everything patched in about 10 minutes. Thanks.

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/67/98047382.jpg

robino2001
10-03-2010, 08:04 PM
Most of the comments on here seem to be PS3... anyone play either (or both preferably) on 360? I'm not opposed to PS3, just used to the controls more and I can see myself buying one of these around Christmas time when things slow down a little for me and I might have time to play. I played FIFA 09 quite a bit... I see the bro-in-law play the crap out of FIFA 10 but I've only played it a couple of times... sounds like it might be a PES year.

resistanze
10-06-2010, 08:36 PM
Finished the 1st season of ML, achieved the treble with Arsenal. I played on normal difficulty though; it's going to be interesting how I do next season on hardest.

Sense
10-06-2010, 11:06 PM
I just downloaded the full game earlier....

I believe I started around 6... I look at the clock and it's 9... holy crap.

It's way better than FIFA.. I spent countless hours playing FIFA 10 before this and I don't think I'll go back

Texas_Ranger
10-07-2010, 05:00 AM
PES11 is great. In my opinion it's better than PES10, and the game looks a little different, while from PES4-10 it was just like everything is the same.

resistanze
10-07-2010, 08:20 AM
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed the absence of advantage rule for fouls? I've played at least 50 matches and I have yet to see one.

lefty
10-07-2010, 08:38 AM
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed the absence of advantage rule for fouls? I've played at least 50 matches and I have yet to see one.
I only played the demo, but yes, Ive noticed the same thing

Cry Havoc
10-27-2010, 03:58 PM
So, I have had a chance to play both games quite a bit up to this point.

I'm disappointed by both, although both are quite good games in their own right.

Let's start with Fifa:

The AI is shit. I hate saying this, because there really are SO many positives to this year's FIFA (probably the best game they've ever made), but unless you're controlling a player near the ball, if the other team gets close to your goal, they're going to net it unless they totally whiff on their shot. I haven't even tried getting into a season, because I know the first time an idiotic defender ignores a ball that's TWO INCHES FROM HIS FEET and about 8 meters outside of goal in favor of RUNNING OVER TO CHECK THE ATTACKING PLAYER I would scream as my record gets nipped with a loss. The computer's AI, however, borders on prescient. They know exactly where you're playing the ball, and damned if they don't have 4 guys waiting for you all looking to legally strip you of the ball and ram it down your throat in the counterattack.

I played on both World Class and Legendary settings, and the difference between your AI and the computer's AI is ridiculous. It's not game-breaking, but it's borderline. I have given up several goals simply because I couldn't select the right man, and the guy who had an easy kick into touch or downfield stood around picking his nose while the attacker got a free shot at goal.

The passing is rubbish. You can either set it to semi-assisted or manual (or assisted, but that's for people who shouldn't be playing sports games). Both are frustrating. Manual won't even get it in the vicinity of your teammate unless you swivel the analog stick just right. On the other hand, semi-assist takes almost all of the control away from you. There's no good balance here, and nearly every possession you'll be thinking, "Man, if I could have laid the ball in there just a bit more softly, I'd be up 1-nil."

Shooting is also practically impossible. Any time you are relatively close to the net and you let your meter build over 1/4th power (VERY easy to do), you're going to send a shot streaming into the stands. This might be something that just takes getting used to, but it's tremendously difficult to be accurate with even good strikers. Shots veer completely away from goal and end up looking more like bad long balls. I admit that some of this could be my fault, however.

Now onto the good stuff.

The animations this year are really spot on. Players move and shift direction exactly as they would in real life. It is an incredibly realistic soccer experience because of how everything ties together visually. From a realism standpoint, this is top class.

The on-ball contests are amazing. A powerful player can easily muscle a smaller player off the ball to take possession. It gives a lot of weight to the game and how to think about playing your defense. I swear, EA somehow pulls real players away from their teams and inserts them into the game for the brief moments when this happens. It's that damn good, and if they change it at all next year, they're freaking crazy. It sounds like I'm overemphasizing this point, but you just have to play about 30+ games before you understand how realistic and excellent this is. It really, really blows me away.

The build up feels very much like real soccer. Players have to be in very tactically advantageous positions to break through the defense. It means you have to be very careful about where you place the ball and how you spread out their defending players. Scoring in this game is very difficult.

The commentating is brilliant this year. It's really excellent at conveying exactly what's happening in the match. So far, at least, I think this adds a bit to the overall experience.

Overall, I give Fifa an 8/10. If they can somehow patch the User AI to actually, you know, defend long balls and so forth, I'll bump this to an 8.5 or 8.75.

Cry Havoc
10-27-2010, 03:59 PM
Now for PES:

So, Fifa has excellent animations. PES has... well, they still feel like they're stuck in there from a couple of years ago. Players fall very oddly, tumbling head over heels as often as not, and occasionally you'll see some very odd balance changes. It just looks a little "off". With a little more polish, this could have been alleviated and the game would benefit from it overall. There are some nice moments in a game where you would swear that the players interact EXACTLY as they would in real life, but overall it's sort of a let down.

I would like to say that the tackling animations in both games are pretty damned awful. This is probably the most combined let down between the two games. I want to see crunching tackles and nasty marks on the ball, and players sent flying.

The commentating is HORRRRRRRRRRRRIBLE. I mean, it doesn't even correspond to the action. Announcers will flat out say the wrong thing, like praising you for your strong chance at a goal. From 50 meters out. With a wing back. It really does subtract from the action when you hear bizarre things being said. Almost better to turn them off, really.

The physics are a little lacking. Overall I'd say this is both a positive and a negative, since Fifa's player typically react a little too quickly to certain situations, I would say PES players react a little more slowly than they would in real life. It makes it very possible to see players up field making a run and still play it to them, knowing a defender running one way isn't going to be able to stop on a dime and suddenly blast back to the ball at full speed, but it also means (at least on the difficulty I've been playing on) that the offense seems a little overpowered. Have you guys noticed the same thing?

Fouls in this game bite. The officiating sucks. They could really do to learn from FIFA here.

Speaking of which, on-ball contests are over far too quickly in this game. In FIFA, there's a struggle, but in this game, as soon as the players meet, typically possession is won or lost. That really bugs me.

Good stuff about PES:

It's PES! It's authentically PES, a PES type futbol game for a PES type audience. There's a magic on the pitch again. I don't know how to describe it. There's just something so much more intrinsically beautiful about watching a match of PES vs a match of FIFA. The latter always feels cookie cutter -- battle for possession, kick the ball down the wings, bring it back to mid, play to the other wing, wait for it, try to cross early or force it through the middle, attempt shot, wash, rinse, repeat. With PES, it just feels like a naturally occurring game, complete with idiosyncratic behavior patterns and attacking runs. Long passes to open players can be chased down and played for the advantage they are instead of being instantly smothered by defenders. It just feels like it clicks more, but perhaps that's because I'm a longtime PES fan and haven't played nearly as much FIFA.

The passing. Oh man, the passing is just nudging perfection. Soft touches, long passes through the opposition, long, arcing through balls, the passing just makes sense here. The meter is more easily manipulated than FIFAs as well -- several times playing the latter, I want to kick the ball softly to the 2nd closest player to me, and instead I hit a bullet at a guy standing about 5 meters away. That happens in PES too, but with nowhere near the frequency.

Somewhat smaller of a note, the animations in FIFA are much better, but I still prefer the overall look of the PES series. FIFA looks slightly cartoonish, and PES looks a little drab. I prefer the latter just because the lighting feels a little better.

Master League. Is awesome. Again. I haven't played online yet though.

Shooting isn't great in this game, but I'd say it's slightly better than FIFA. I need more time with it to be sure.

----

Overall:

I would liken FIFA to a mathematical equation or a clock, all the parts are moving well together and in synchronicity, all of them are symmetrical and doing exactly what they're supposed to. There is a beauty in that precision, a realism in the way games are stolid affairs of build up, counter-attacks, tightly controlled spaces, etc. But there is very little room for the creative art of football there. Taking risks or attempting something daring means the defense is given a free possession. There is almost no reward I've found from playing a loose, attacking style of football. You basically want to shell up your defense, get control, and then just widdle away at the defense with small, easy passing until you get an opportunity to score. Considering when you're on defense, there's much less uniformity and more chaos, and it wears on me quickly, so far.

With PES, it's as if you're on an artists canvas. It sounds silly, but you actually feel like you're creating football. You might not be comforted by how solid the formula is, because trust me, PES is nowhere near as exact a science as FIFA is, but what's here is amazing. I've only played 10 games, and already I'm starting to lay in some really, really beautiful through balls that just wind their way through the defense to my players waiting feet. That's tough to do in FIFA because the defense is just all over the place, waiting on you with 3-4 players wherever you put the ball.

I'd give PES an 8.5. Sadly this is pretty far below what I thought the Konami team was going to bring to the table, and it's also not nearly as polished of a sports title as NBA 2k11 (which will definitely be my sports game of the year), but it has regained the PES flavor and charm, and it's worth getting for Master League alone.

I will say that as I've been playing on my laptop in public, I've had people ask me which football game I'm watching. Both games look pretty stunning on high detail. FIFA delivers more of the realism of a soccer match, where PES delivers the soul of football.

I prefer PES by a slight but noticeable margin. A patch by EA could change that though, but they need something to seriously contend with Master League.

resistanze
10-27-2010, 09:05 PM
Good review CH. I agree with many of your main criticisms - commentary (is it the same from WE7? Terrible :lol), tackling and refereeing (no advantage play, bone crunching tackles that are ignored because you just passed the ball).

I'll give my thoughts when I have a chunk of time (getting killed for the next week and a half).

But I'll just say that my score is likely a 7.5 or 8.0.

robino2001
10-27-2010, 09:40 PM
Good reviews...

on a side note - has anyone played FIFA's online version for the PC (beta still)? You can play the entire game just with the mouse and it's quite intuitive. For being what it is - it's super addicting and I get a big kick out of it when killing downtime at work.

Cry Havoc
10-27-2010, 10:37 PM
Good review CH. I agree with many of your main criticisms - commentary (is it the same from WE7? Terrible :lol), tackling and refereeing (no advantage play, bone crunching tackles that are ignored because you just passed the ball).

I'll give my thoughts when I have a chunk of time (getting killed for the next week and a half).

But I'll just say that my score is likely a 7.5 or 8.0.

I give it an 8.5 simply because the action, when it's good, is some of the best I've seen in any sports game. PES 2011 is absolutely beautiful and the play is just scintillating. That overrides some of the smaller problems, IMO. But if they would patch it with better announcing, advantage penalties, and just some minor mods to the physics, this game would be way, way up there. In the 9.5 range.

SAtown
10-28-2010, 04:30 AM
It's a great game offline, but you should try master league online. It's a totally different game. I've played tons of matches and competitions, and almost all of them have been lag free and smooth. I'll wait to play the regular master league once the winter transfer closes and good patches are available for pc

Cry Havoc
10-28-2010, 08:58 AM
Now my only question.... I have a really good gamepad for my PC that is on par with most consoles.

Should I get PES 2011 for PC or Ps3?

I'm very torn about this. Leaning toward PC though.

SAtown
10-28-2010, 02:14 PM
Now my only question.... I have a really good gamepad for my PC that is on par with most consoles.

Should I get PES 2011 for PC or Ps3?

I'm very torn about this. Leaning toward PC though.

I have both, and really the only notable difference (besides the patch possibilities for PC) is the game speed adjustments for ps3. You can set the gamespeed higher AND lower on ps3/xbox, whereas on the PC you can just go higher. It can make a bit of difference if you wanna play say 15 minute matches on -1 or -2 speeds to make the game slower paced and a little more fluid. Other than that, I see no other reason why not to get the PC version. I'm pretty sure the online servers are about the same for both as well (minimal lag), and there are more people playing on PC

Cry Havoc
10-28-2010, 02:25 PM
and there are more people playing on PC

Wow, really?

I can't even find the PC version online anywhere.

lefty
10-28-2010, 03:52 PM
Jordan is amazing in this game...

Ooops sorry, wrong thread

SAtown
10-28-2010, 05:09 PM
Wow, really?

I can't even find the PC version online anywhere.

http://www.konami-pes2011.com/

If you're talking about the torrent, i'm sure you can get it just about anywhere

Cry Havoc
10-28-2010, 09:08 PM
http://www.konami-pes2011.com/

If you're talking about the torrent, i'm sure you can get it just about anywhere

I did torrent it just to see which one was better, now I'll probably buy PES.

Do you really think there are more PC players than PS3?

SAtown
10-28-2010, 11:38 PM
I did torrent it just to see which one was better, now I'll probably buy PES.

Do you really think there are more PC players than PS3?

Now that I think about it, it could be because i got the Euro PC version, so i played a bunch of germans and brits. I guess if there's any doubt, the NA ps3 version would be the way to go

MannyIsGod
10-29-2010, 01:43 AM
NA Ps3 version isn't out yet.

TDMVPDPOY
10-29-2010, 02:45 AM

whats the difference between NA na euro version? they turn the offside trap off for american players?

SAtown
10-29-2010, 10:58 AM

Sure it is, i picked it up from gamestop last week

MannyIsGod
10-29-2010, 11:23 AM
Sure it is, i picked it up from gamespot last week

The fuck. I'm an idiot.

resistanze
11-07-2010, 01:51 PM
I'll give a concise review of PES 2011 (PC)

The Good

1. Creativity: Free-flowing manual passing that doesn't seem like a chore (like in FIFA 11) really rewards creativity. Mounting an attack that's finished off with a 1-2 lob through-ball is one of the best feelings in the game. And since every pass and play is different, I end up trying to one-up myself by experimenting with different runs and lobs. Vintage PES is back.

Shooting in this game is pretty good, once you get accustomed to its sensitivity. It's a low hard to score belters from outside the box now, but when you catch one right (like I did with Essien) you might actually jump out of your seat. One thing I STILL haven't figured out though, is scoring in-game penalties...

2. Master League: As addictive as ever. I'm in my 5th season and I'm still not bored in the slightest.

The Bad

1. Commentating: Terrible. Really no excuse for that in 2010, it's just a matter of dedicating more resources for this aspect.

Champion: What a terrible shot, it was closer to the corner flag than the net!
Beglin: Oh what a good shot! Unlucky to score!

2. Defending/Ball-possession: Again, something they should've really retooled in the past 3-4 years. One-foot stab tackles and crashing into players to cleanly steal possession needs to go. Many times the player with the ball can run through defenders, having the ball ping-pong off each other until the offensive player comes out of the crowd with the ball.

3. Refereeing: This is an aspect that has actually regressed over the years. I've heard that there is in fact advantage play in the game, but it's so broken that most people never see it. Normally, the play is called dead the second a foul is committed. It's weird, because I remember effective advantage play in WE7-9. You're also allowed to murder a player with a crunching tackle the second after he passes the ball - killing any chance of a 1-2 pass.

I tried PES 11 online with a friend (XBOX 360) and wasn't really impressed. The game was comically fast (although you can slow it down a bit) and the problems with defending are amplified times 10 when playing individuals online. My friend who had hardly played was in basically every game we played (won one as well) because all he needed to do was hold the sprint button and crash into me when I had the ball. I was debating which version I should get for online play, but I think I'm gonna get the PC version, consider how much I like the customization options for kits/stadiums/music.

Overall, a big step in the right direction after years of mediocrity. The bads are there, but the goods are so damn good you often forget about the game's flaws. If they can work on a few things, I wouldn't be surprised if it regained the form of WE9.

8.0/10

SAtown
11-07-2010, 02:38 PM
Shooting in this game is pretty good, once you get accustomed to its sensitivity. It's a low hard to score belters from outside the box now, but when you catch one right (like I did with Essien) you might actually jump out of your seat.

The best goals I've scored so far have been from volleys off of corner kicks. Like you said, if you time it right with players like Essien, Gerrard, Iniesta, it'll blast in. I'm actually glad you can't score easily from outside the box anymore.

One thing I STILL haven't figured out though, is scoring in-game penalties...

I just started getting used to them and free kicks. It takes some practice, but it's gets easier. I found this tutorial helpful

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss2_FzPRNVI

You literally have to do each step one at a time, instead of a fluid motion (if that makes sense). Like, press shoot, let it go, choose direction, let it go, then adjust strength of the shot. Once you get them down, they're pretty much unstoppable.

1. Commentating: Terrible. Really no excuse for that in 2010, it's just a matter of dedicating more resources for this aspect.

Agree, commentating is crap, but the Euros seem to love Jon Champion. I think his voice it horrible, and the things he says are just crap. (If you're up 3-0, as soon as you make the 3rd he says "and they're in the lead!" :lol And the other guy doesn't even speak. The only thing he says is "Oh my" when the ball crosses the line.

Bring back Peter Brackley (or wtf his name was)

3. Refereeing: This is an aspect that has actually regressed over the years. I've heard that there is in fact advantage play in the game, but it's so broken that most people never see it. Normally, the play is called dead the second a foul is committed. It's weird, because I remember effective advantage play in WE7-9. You're also allowed to murder a player with a crunching tackle the second after he passes the ball - killing any chance of a 1-2 pass.

Reffing sucks in this game, but not as bad as last year. I got sick of the 1 tackling animation, no fouls called, and players being tackled at the same time that they're shooting.

As for the advantage rule, out of the million MLO games i've played, i've seen it maybe twice or 3x. I know it's there, and the ref does the "play on" animation, but it's nothing like WE9.

Anyways, i'd give it a similar score, having similar gripes (although I play a lot more online than off). I'm waiting til after the january transfer when a good patch comes out then i'll play some ML and BAL. Overall though, i'm enjoying this years game 10000000x more than the previous ones on next gen. By this time I'm usually done with this game

Cry Havoc
11-07-2010, 03:18 PM
As far as the wild shooting goes, you guys are holding down R2 when you shoot, right?

ALVAREZ6
11-07-2010, 04:32 PM
FIFA 11 is great. :tu

SAtown
11-07-2010, 04:34 PM
As far as the wild shooting goes, you guys are holding down R2 when you shoot, right?

I'll use it if I'm one on one with the keeper, but ill tap it after I press shoot button. I always shoot a really weak shot if I hold it while I shoot

Cry Havoc
11-07-2010, 08:24 PM
I'll use it if I'm one on one with the keeper, but ill tap it after I press shoot button. I always shoot a really weak shot if I hold it while I shoot

Well, you can shoot with the meter over half and still keep it down lower if you do. It basically halves or 1/3rds your shooting power, which makes you able to get a strong shot off without making it sail over the bar.

SAtown
11-08-2010, 02:42 AM
I'll have to try it out. That's actually one of the few things I like about FIFA. The shot modifiers makes for better shot placement for either a driven shot or a placed one.

Also, if only PES allowed you to switch between players with the right stick (like FIFA), I think it'd be closer to a perfect game. I freaking hate how on goal kicks and such it will never let you switch to a player you want

MannyIsGod
03-05-2011, 09:26 PM
FINALLY picked this up. I'd forgotten how fucking shitty copying over an option file on the PS3 is.

SAtown
03-05-2011, 10:40 PM
:lol

Ya those option files fucking suck putting in, all the uniforms, logos, etc... I'm just worrying bout custom chants, stadiums, and music right now, and doing the rest later if at all.

It was much easier on WE9 on original XBOX and an action replay thingy. Just copy and paste the file into the memory card and boom, every single thing is done for you, even new leagues (like German Bundesliga, etc)... Now it's way too much of a hassle.

But I do appreciate the chance to edit almost everything in the game.

resistanze
03-06-2011, 10:22 AM
Yeah PESedit.com custom pack rules for PC customization. They add new leagues, teams, and kits like each month.

MannyIsGod
04-12-2011, 05:58 PM
Anyone want to play on the PS3? Been playing for a month now and I'm back in the groove. Doing BAL and I got on Barca after taking PSV to glory and they fuckers wouldn't play me. I'm at AMF. So I said FU FC Messi and I went over to Inter and have been destroying. Me + Diego Milito = AMAZING. :lol

MannyIsGod
04-13-2011, 06:06 PM
Bump. WTF Bitches. Lets go.

resistanze
04-13-2011, 09:00 PM
Unfortunately I have this game for PC and XBOX, so I'm unable to tap that ass.

lefty
04-13-2011, 09:04 PM
Bump. WTF Bitches. Lets go.

I thought about bumping this thread yesterday

MannyIsGod
04-13-2011, 10:58 PM
Unfortunately I have this game for PC and XBOX, so I'm unable to tap that ass.

Lucky for you because Ghana v US would go a bit differently. And by a bit I mean I would beat your ass 4-0.

resistanze
04-15-2011, 06:01 PM
Lucky for you because Ghana v US would go a bit differently. And by a bit I mean I would beat your ass 4-0.

lefty
06-11-2011, 03:25 PM
I haven't decided which one to get yet :lol

lefty
06-25-2011, 06:02 PM
Ok, so I finally got PES 11

OMG, orgasm, sex, poop, fetichism, bondage, I loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove it

Plus, it's much cheaper than FIFA

I agree with Resistanze; the passing system is very rewarding

You have to get used to it (that and the shooting), but it's really worth it :tu

While FIFA seems to be more simulation oriented, PES 11 feels more realistic and less robotic.
The passes don't fall right in your teammates' feet; the position of the passer's body is taken in account, which is more realistic IMHO

I also like how the players move without the ball; I was playing with Real, controlling Ronaldo right outside the penalty box, when Sergio Ramos came flying out of nowhere :lol

If you watch a real RMA game, you will see Ramos doing that once in a while

So Real plays like Real, Barca like Barca, North London like Arsenal

Sure, the game has its flaws, but I can live with them (plus, PES 12 will be even better, hehe)

I also love the broadcast feel, and the crowds

Fuck you FIFA

Sense
06-25-2011, 06:59 PM
FIFA>PES.... Fuck that North London Bullshit

lefty
06-25-2011, 08:08 PM

Omg
Licences, big fucking deal :lmao

MannyIsGod
06-26-2011, 12:22 AM
All the teams on my copy are named.

lefty
06-26-2011, 12:27 AM
All the teams on my copy are named.
I will install the patches one of these days

But for the time being, I'm pretty satisfied

And the game is so fucking good :cry

MannyIsGod
06-26-2011, 01:02 AM
Eh its ok.

lefty
06-26-2011, 01:03 AM
Eh its ok.
In the PES 12, you said you loved it

Don't backpedal

(unless you meant the kits)

resistanze
06-26-2011, 08:01 AM

Coulda sworn you saying earlier is this thread PES was better:lol

Anyways it sucks all licenses aren't in, but it take no time to download a mod pack:

lefty
06-26-2011, 12:43 PM
Coulda sworn you saying earlier is this thread PES was better:lol

Anyways it sucks all licenses aren't in, but it take no time to download a mod pack:

Yeah he did say PES was better

MannyIsGod
06-26-2011, 02:25 PM
In the PES 12, you said you loved it

Don't backpedal

(unless you meant the kits)

After you play a few seasons of ML you are more familliar with the stupid mistakes the CPU makes. It got annoying.

resistanze
06-26-2011, 02:44 PM
One thing that irritates me in PES 11 is that in the highest difficulty mode (might be the same for others), every clearance by the CPU defender in somehow an accurate long pass to their forward. I mean the defender could be literally clear the ball from his penalty box with his back facing the forward, and he'll spin around and kick the ball to midfield at his forward's feet.

lefty
06-26-2011, 05:34 PM
After you play a few seasons of ML you are more familliar with the stupid mistakes the CPU makes. It got annoying.
Probably

I still prefer it to FIFA though

FIFA is kinda robotic and repetitive; wash, rinse, repeat

One thing that irritates me in PES 11 is that in the highest difficulty mode (might be the same for others), every clearance by the CPU defender in somehow an accurate long pass to their forward. I mean the defender could be literally clear the ball from his penalty box with his back facing the forward, and he'll spin around and kick the ball to midfield at his forward's feet.

Yep

Hopefully, they will address this in PES 12

SAtown
06-26-2011, 05:34 PM
LOL Fucking hell

I'm in Become a Legend, it's my like 5th game with Willem II (shitty Dutch team). I start the match on the bench, when in the 65th minute a guy on my team gets fouled, and I finally get subbed in. On the ensuing free kick my team scores an amazing goal, and I get subbed out before the kickoff. :lmao

FML

lefty
06-26-2011, 05:41 PM
LOL Fucking hell

I'm in Become a Legend, it's my like 5th game with Willem II (shitty Dutch team). I start the match on the bench, when in the 65th minute a guy on my team gets fouled, and I finally get subbed in. On the ensuing free kick my team scores an amazing goal, and I get subbed out before the kickoff. :lmao

FML
:lmao