PDA

View Full Version : Nazr Mohammed -underrated in games 5 and 6

Chris
05-20-2005, 03:41 PM
19 points and 7 rebounds in game 5; 12 points and 8 rebounds in game 6

I think Mohammed was huge in this series with the Sonics. He forced the Sonics to respect his offense and adjust to him taking a lot of pressure off the guards and Timmy. You could see the worried looks on a lot of Seattle's bigs whenever he was on the court. His defense is very clean despite being a little agressive on perimeter defense when he needs to stick around the paint. He had critical rebounds last night in game 6 both defensively and offensively during the 4th quarter. With Nesterivich playing hurt I'd hate to think of where the Spurs would be in the series without Naz.

MadDog73
05-20-2005, 03:44 PM
Well, it's a good thing you don't have to think about it! :)

I just wish Rasho wouldn't suck so bad when he comes off the bench as relief.

MasterYoda
05-20-2005, 03:46 PM
much props to nazr.

correct you are, underrated he is.

do as good, malik would?? hmmm??

good question, this is.

Useruser666
05-20-2005, 03:59 PM
I would say that he and Tim needed to step out more on the PnRs, not less. There may be a different strategy for our next opponent though.

Solid D
05-20-2005, 04:05 PM
Nazr has obviously been working on taking the ball up immediately...without hesitation, and jamming it. This was a major improvement over his plodding tentativeness vs. Denver.

T Park
05-20-2005, 04:09 PM
Nazr Mohammed is the David Robinson replacement we wanted in the summer of 03

MiNuS
05-20-2005, 04:14 PM
Nazr has obviously been working on taking the ball up immediately...without hesitation, and jamming it. This was a major improvement over his plodding tentativeness vs. Denver.

I noticed that and I also noticed a mini skyhook. I like the arsenal.

MadDog73
05-20-2005, 04:16 PM

better late than never, eh, T-Park?

And all it cost us was Malik

SWC Bonfire
05-20-2005, 04:17 PM

Well, he sure is offensively, but not defensively. Don't know if that comparison is fair to Nazr, though. He is playing exceptionally well and seems to have found his role.

BadlyDrawnBoy
05-20-2005, 05:00 PM
Don't let Sparky/MB see this thread. He'll go ape shit.

Chris
05-20-2005, 07:03 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing him take more perimeter shots. He is always open right wing.

timvp
05-20-2005, 07:05 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing him take more perimeter shots. He is always open right wing.

I don't.

Nazr shot a jumper last game from the corner and airballed it by like three feet. I want him to stick to rebounding, defense and catching the ball and going straight up with it when the defense leaves him.

smeagol
05-20-2005, 07:18 PM
Are you sure?

Have you seen his jump shot?

Yikes!

ChumpDumper
05-20-2005, 07:24 PM
Wait til the offseason to work on the 12-footer. For now, just keep rolling and crashing the boards.

Obstructed_View
05-20-2005, 07:27 PM
Before game 5 they discussed that Nazr should be a little more aggressive looking for his own shots when they are there. That made a big difference. He needs to expect easy baskets and putbacks when Duncan is drawing people, and he did a much better job of that in game 5 and 6.

Chris
05-20-2005, 07:29 PM
Are you sure?

Have you seen his jump shot?

Yikes!

Yeah it might be something to work on in the offseason after they win the championship.

ChumpDumper
05-20-2005, 07:33 PM
Dunks off P&Rs, putbacks and the occasional baby hook will probably keep him in double figures throughout the playoffs. I'm more concerned about his ability to stay in the game against Phoenix if it comes to a match with them. I can see him reaching and grabbing alot against the Suns' transition.

Dre_7
05-20-2005, 07:35 PM
I wouldnt compare him to David, but he is the best Cetner we've had since David, IMO.

cherylsteele
05-20-2005, 08:23 PM

We would do better if Bill Schoening was going to do that.....Nazr's jumper is fugly.

He is getting better on the "D" but it is still rather poor too often....he still relies too much on athleticism to bail him out on the "D" instead of rely on position and basic fundamentals.

Dre_7
05-20-2005, 08:28 PM
What surprizes me is with how good Nazr has been playin, my cousin has yet to post anything about it!!

Hey Kori, is he banned or something?? :lol

Big Pimp_21
05-20-2005, 08:54 PM
What should we do about Rasho. He's paid too much to come off the bench, but Nazr obviously deserves to start. Would anyone want to trade for him, and if so, who might we have to package him up with?

Dre_7
05-20-2005, 08:55 PM
What should we do about Rasho. He's paid too much to come off the bench, but Nazr obviously deserves to start. Would anyone want to trade for him, and if so, who might we have to package him up with?

How about Jerome James?????

JK!

Big Pimp_21
05-20-2005, 08:56 PM
Nah...James aint got 'nuff respeck fo da SA

ChumpDumper
05-20-2005, 09:01 PM
Would anyone want to trade for himProbably about 18 teams in the league.

Be patient. The Spurs don't have to and probably won't do anything about this until seeing both players healthy and after at least a training camp + a few months playing time. In the meantime, you have easily one of the better center tandems in the league at a reasonable price. Why mess with that?

Obstructed_View
05-20-2005, 09:29 PM
Competition for the starting spot next year will be fierce, and should only help Rasho, who is a good player when he's healthy. As we've discussed before, he might actually thrive coming off the bench, anyway. He and Nazr could become as good a two headed center as there is in the league.

Guru of Nothing
05-20-2005, 10:10 PM
Probably about 18 teams in the league.

Be patient. The Spurs don't have to and probably won't do anything about this until seeing both players healthy and after at least a training camp + a few months playing time. In the meantime, you have easily one of the better center tandems in the league at a reasonable price. Why mess with that?

You saved me the trouble of saying it.

I'll add that Rasho and Nazr are perfect opposites and represent excellent matchup options for Pop - Nazr offers an aggressive rebounding game with strong put-backs; Rasho brings a very good midrange shot and an excellent grasp of team-defense concepts (and for this alone I think he rightfully earns his relatively moderate salary)

JUUOT
05-20-2005, 10:18 PM
i agree with lasts post ohever ithink it is impossible to give acceptable plying time to more than 4 bigs. so rasho, horry or scola, one of them will not be a spurs next season
or maybee horry in a kevin willis steve kerr role

JUUOT
05-20-2005, 10:20 PM
duncan scola
nazr rasho
horry as a jocker
would be huge front line, it makes me dreaming

picnroll
05-20-2005, 10:30 PM
Between Nazr and Rasho Spurs still have Horry consistently closing out tight games with Duncan. Until the Spurs find the big that can replace Horry at the end of tight games they haven't found their final big man solution.

Guru of Nothing
05-20-2005, 10:36 PM
duncan scola
nazr rasho
horry as a jocker
would be huge front line, it makes me dreaming

I'll go into July mode a little early.

I really wish I had a better fix on Scola's game (honest to goodness, the only moving picture of him in my mind is when JO stepped on his head). Although Pop has not given Big Dog many opportunities to succeed in these playoffs so far, I'm kind of hoping we can bring him back next year, which would come at the expense of Scola. Whether you agree or not, it probably won't happen because Cleveland can offer more money and virtually guarantee him his customary 20 ppg, and excepting a Ray Allen or Michael Redd type acquisition, Cleveland would be crazy not to extend GRob a better offer.

And, as my mind shifts and rambles, maybe I should hope more for a Scola signing, because Nazr's expiring $6M contract will have a lot of sex appeal before the next trading deadline, especially if packaged with a relatively small contract like, say, Brent Barry's, for a near-max kind of player.

Here's to a fun June and an interesting July.

wildbill2u
05-20-2005, 10:49 PM
Before game 5 they discussed that Nazr should be a little more aggressive looking for his own shots when they are there. That made a big difference. He needs to expect easy baskets and putbacks when Duncan is drawing people, and he did a much better job of that in game 5 and 6.

I think the discussion was more like NASR was open because of the double teams and they should look for him more. It worked. In addition, he's a good foul shooter when the other team tries to make up for being slow to guard him.

I think NASR's hands had been suspect because he'd missed some passes since he'd been here when he wasn't expecting the ball. But look at how he handled those bullet passes from MANU in game five.

I believe he'll be OK when he knows he may be the option as is looking for it--and the team gains some confidence in him. However, I noticed he was open several times in game six and the other players simply didn't get him the ball.