PDA

View Full Version : Al Thornton uses his athletic ability to avoid car accident.

Chieflion
10-02-2010, 07:05 AM
Al Thornton was back at practice and hitting jumpers during the three-man weave the day after he was hit by a car walking up a hill on the George Mason campus. Thornton tweeted on Thursday night, "This may sound crazy but I just literally got hit by a car walking ... I thought I was in heaven already for real. Thank God. "

Thornton was okay, but his tweets and lack of immediate response to teammates calls afterward led to some panic. "It's crazy. I didn't know nothing like that was going to happen" John Wall said. "He was on Twitter, like 'I just got hit by a car. I don't believe it.' We had to call him, like, 'You alright?' His phone was off, so we think he was in the hospital or something. It was funny."

Thornton told his teammates that the car was traveling around 15 to 20 miles an hour, but the driver never noticed the 6-foot-8, 225 pound forward crossing the street. "She nipped his leg and he jumped," Wall said. "He had to jump on the car. If he didn't jump on the car, he might be injured."

pauls931
10-02-2010, 07:23 AM
I'd be more impressed if he saw an inevitable head on collision and jumped out the window of the car he was driving. I'm talking no t-tops or convertible, jumpin' out the frickin' driver's door window!

duncan228
10-02-2010, 07:09 PM
Al Thornton, who tweeted on Thursday night that he had “just literally got hit by a car walking,” spoke to the media for the first time about the incident.

The 6-8 forward said he was leaving practice on the rainy night and walking up a hill in a parking area on the George Mason University campus where the team is conducting training camp when he saw a car driving toward him.

“I assume she saw me when I was walking up the hill, but she didn’t,” Thornton said of the female driver he believed was a student. “As soon as she got toward me, she knicked my knee a little bit, but I jumped on top of her car in the process. It was kind of crazy.”

Thornton said the car was moving around 20 mph and that he thought the driver was in a rush.

“I think she was late for class,” he said.

Thornton was incredulous that the driver hadn’t seen him.

“As soon as I jumped on top of the hood, I was looking like directly in the window,” Thornton said. “I was like ‘You didn’t see me? What are you doing? A tall black guy. You didn’t see me?”’?

Thornton is competing to be the Wizards’ starting small forward, and knows that it the accident could have been much worse.

“Seriously, that could have been my career,” he said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-wizards-camp

ohmwrecker
10-02-2010, 10:08 PM
Why didn't he just jump over it like Kobe???