PDA

View Full Version : Mahinmi begins life with Mavs

SenorSpur
10-02-2010, 02:35 PM
Now a word from the "oh what might have been" files. Don't get me started. :bang

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/mahinmi_begins_life_with_mavs_104194074.html?showF ullArticle=y

DALLAS — A Spur, in spirit, since 2005 and a Spur, in fact, since 2007, Ian Mahinmi wasn't certain what to expect when he walked into his first official training camp session as a Dallas Maverick on Tuesday morning.
“When I was on the opposite side, with the Spurs, I thought these guys were all ... well, I hated them,” Mahinmi said after a Friday afternoon camp session at SMU. “But as soon as I got here and started to meet them I found they were great guys, as great as my teammates were in San Antonio.”

Mahinmi signed a free agent contract with the Mavericks in July, getting just the three-year veteran minimum, $760,000. After an injury-plagued three seasons with the Spurs, he is happy to remain in the NBA and not too far from the many friends he made in San Antonio.

Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle likes what he has seen from Mahinmi in camp but, like Gregg Popovich before him, will wait and see how the young center develops before counting on him for regular playing time.

“I like Mahinmi's knowledge of defense,” Carlisle said. “He's got a good feel for the game at both ends because he's been in a good system for a couple of years. He's getting better every day.

“Ian's just got to be consistent. I think he can be a reliable midrange shooter, and we're spending a lot of time with him to develop a consistent rhythm for his shots. That's something he's working on, and that will be part of the equation.”

Mavericks owner Mark Cuban put it simply: “The Spurs taught him defense. We'll teach him some offense.”

In short, Mahinmi remains a project, especially with the Mavericks already having a pair of 7-footers, Brendan Haywood and Tyson Chandler, manning the center position.

Mahinmi, still just 23, will be remembered by Spurs fans this season as just that: the project whose combination of size, strength and quickness teased them with potential for greatness, yet to be realized.

Officially listed at 6-foot-11, he always seemed an inch or two taller than Tim Duncan whenever the two stood side-by-side. His long arms and leaping ability made for some spectacular dunks and blocked shots, but never often enough to earn consistent playing time. In his three seasons in silver and black, Mahinmi played only 32 games, his development and opportunity obstructed by a series of injuries.

Selected by the Spurs in the first round of the 2005 draft, he was an 18-year-old so unknown he wasn't listed anywhere in the NBA's predraft media guide. The native of Rouen, France, was signed by the Spurs in 2007 and spent most of the 2007-08 season with the Spurs' Austin Toros D-League team.

The Spurs had hoped to feature Mahinmi in the 2008 preseason, but a summer ankle injury scuttled that plan and ultimately required surgery, wiping out the entire season. He was on the Spurs roster last season, but saw action in only 26 games, mostly in garbage time.

When the Spurs opted not to exercise the fourth year of Mahinmi's rookie-scale contract — it would have cost the club slightly more than $1.7 million to do so — Mahinmi understood the economics, but hoped he might remain in San Antonio.

“Pop had said they just didn't have time to evaluate me,” he recalled. “I had got hurt, and he wanted a chance to evaluate me in the real game situation. That's what he told me. He wanted to exercise the fourth year, but we need to evaluate you on the real games.

“He said they would be more than happy to offer me the same deal on the next season. That was understandable. I can't be mad at him for that.”

When free agency arrived, the Mavs came calling, the Spurs focused on signing 2007 first-round pick Tiago Splitter and Mahinmi opted for a change of venue.

“I wanted to come back to San Antonio, but then I was, like, let's open a new chapter. Dallas was interested from the start, so it was either to go back or try something new. I wanted to try something new.”

Even if it meant playing for a team he once hated.

“It's a big change for me to move from the Spurs to the Mavs,” he said. “A big change, but so far, so good.”

Dex
10-02-2010, 02:45 PM
Benedict Mahinmi.

boutons_deux
10-02-2010, 02:55 PM
no, he was going nowhere with Spurs.

slick'81
10-02-2010, 03:06 PM
i hate to say it but gl in dallas ian

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-02-2010, 03:11 PM
I wish him the best and hope he's able to tap into his potential there.

Dex
10-02-2010, 03:12 PM
no, he was going nowhere with Spurs.

I just like giving Mahinmi a hard time. :blah That's about all he was good for.

jjktkk
10-02-2010, 04:12 PM
Come on Senor, let Mahimni go. Great physical talent, but iffy bb iq. Should of saved this thread until midway of this season. Then you can vent if Mahimni shows anything. :flag:

#2!
10-02-2010, 05:08 PM
“I wanted to come back to San Antonio, but then I was, like, let's open a new chapter. Dallas was interested from the start, so it was either to go back or try something new. I wanted to try something new.”

Good for Ian, always good to move forward to new opportunities.

Blackjack
10-02-2010, 05:16 PM
“He said they would be more than happy to offer me the same deal on the next season. That was understandable. I can't be mad at him for that.”

Whether Ian believes that or not, doesn't matter much. But it's hard to see the rationale for the Spurs to bring him back at that rate when he'd be their sixth big and without the opportunity to play and develop. He'd be riding the bench as an insurance policy, essentially.

I don't doubt the Spurs told him they'd have no problem offering that contract to him back then when they declined the option, they had no way of knowing for sure if they'd be able to get Tiago or if any trades would be made with their current big men, but I find it highly doubtful Ian had the Spurs as an option.

In any event, I wish him the best and hope he's given the opportunity to fulfill his potential. The guy can play; he can contribute.

Hopefully I won't have to see him put together a 'New Jersey' game against the Spurs or have any kind of success defensively against Tim or anyone else. SpursTalk's foundation just isn't strong enough for that.

The Scola sitch-e-ation has compromised its structural integrity.

ohmwrecker
10-02-2010, 05:16 PM

Was it really his choice?

Sean Cagney
10-02-2010, 08:30 PM
I wish him the best and hope he's able to tap into his potential there.

I don't, not as long as we play that stupid team. I hope they all fail.

Dr. Gonzo
10-02-2010, 11:54 PM
He will get a hang nail and be out 5 months.

Fuck him. He sucked anyway.

J_Paco
10-03-2010, 02:21 AM
He will get a hang nail and be out 5 months.

Fuck him. He sucked anyway.

Yet, someone saw enough in him to give him another NBA contract. I really wish Ian had chosen another team, but I still hope he gets a legitimate chance to play. He's got the physical make-up to play in the NBA, he just needs to put it altogether from a consistency and mental standpoint.

SenorSpur
10-03-2010, 02:24 AM
Yet, someone saw enough in him to give him another NBA contract. I really wish Ian had chosen another team, but I still hope he gets a legitimate chance to play. He's got the physical make-up to play in the NBA, he just needs to put it altogether from a consistency and mental standpoint.

Thanks for the shoutout Paco.

I've never known what it's like to be immortalized in a discussion forum. :lol

J_Paco
10-03-2010, 02:29 AM
Thanks for the shoutout Paco.

I've never known what it's like to be immortalized in a discussion forum. :lol

No problem, man. Those guys in Portland are tools and you put it perfectly in your post.

EricB
10-03-2010, 04:20 AM
Reading from what the Mavs brass says, it seems they think of him the same as how the Spurs did.

Might have a chance if theres injuries but who knows.

He's behind Haywood and Chandler obviously on the depth chart BUT Chandler is a walking mash unit. So who knows.

We shall see if his BBall IQ has raised in Dallas or not.

lefty
10-03-2010, 04:26 AM
Dude it's the Mavs

Texas_Ranger
10-03-2010, 05:41 AM
He's got nothing to do with the Spurs anymore. When he was here he did nothing, so I don't give a fuck about his life with the Mavs.

koriwhat
10-03-2010, 05:46 AM
He's got nothing to do with the Spurs anymore. When he was here he did nothing, so I don't give a fuck about his life with the Mavs.

:tu

SenorSpur
10-03-2010, 08:54 AM
Reading from what the Mavs brass says, it seems they think of him the same as how the Spurs did.

Might have a chance if theres injuries but who knows.

He's behind Haywood and Chandler obviously on the depth chart BUT Chandler is a walking mash unit. So who knows.

We shall see if his BBall IQ has raised in Dallas or not.

Right. Despite the fact that the Mavs had interest all along, they do view him as a project. We'll see what approach Carlisle takes with him.

Cuban made a comment about him stating that "he learned defense in San Antonio. We're going to teach him about offense here."

Cane
10-03-2010, 09:06 AM

Ian hasn't done much to warrant having any fans, pretty crazy that these scrubs have 'em :p:

I don't see much of a role for Ian with the Mavs as well. Their coach and organization is in win-now mode instead of building projects and their center rotation has Chandler and Haywood; the former of which is on a contract year so expect him to want minutes and play better than usual (Jason Kidd's elite passing is going to be great with Chandler as well).

Lukor
10-03-2010, 10:24 AM
He's a third string center on a minimum salary deal. There's really no risk in developing him. But so far it seems like he has been a bust, i mean,he's been in San Antonio like 3 years and apart from being athletic hasnt shown much..

ivanfromwestwood
10-03-2010, 12:22 PM
He's a third string center on a minimum salary deal. There's really no risk in developing him. But so far it seems like he has been a bust, i mean,he's been in San Antonio like 3 years and apart from being athletic hasnt shown much..i dont know man. every time i saw him on the court he was deflecting shot in the paint and his offensive game was solid. his biggest curse was Dejuan Blair getting drafted. those were supposed to be his minutes at center.

SenorSpur
10-03-2010, 12:38 PM
i dont know man. every time i saw him on the court he was deflecting shot in the paint and his offensive game was solid. his biggest curse was Dejuan Blair getting drafted. those were supposed to be his minutes at center.

Yeah, I agree. It's not like the guy didn't show flashes of production. Neither we, nor the coaches, got a chance to see him much in live action. There have been plenty of guys come through here that have had "bust" written all over them. Whether it be their attitude, ability or desire. This kid has plenty of ability, seemingly works hard and has a good attitude. Whether he's able to parlay that into being an every night player, is unknown. However, it's way too premature to call him a bust.

After all, with Dice likely not being on the squad next year, the Spurs are most certain to need another big. For the Spurs sake, they'd better hope this kid doesn't blossom elsewhere. Personally, I always liked the kid and hated to see him leave. I wish him the best and hope he does well.

z0sa
10-03-2010, 04:26 PM
It's a strange situation. I almost want him to do well, to at least show flashes of what I thought he had all along. Yet he's playing for the Mavs.

LoneStarState'sPride
10-03-2010, 05:54 PM
Good luck to Ian (except when the mavs play SA)

Obstructed_View
10-03-2010, 06:13 PM
Dude got like one opportunity, and tore it up. He's younger than some second year players, so I'm not sure how he's a bust. Oh well, he's someone else's problem now.

Dr. Gonzo
10-03-2010, 06:29 PM
I like how people want him to succeed just so they can claim to be "right" about him on the internets. I'm sure everybody being "right" about how good he can be will lead to a front office job for an NBA team.

Obstructed_View
10-04-2010, 12:20 AM
I like how people want him to succeed just so they can claim to be "right" about him on the internets. I'm sure everybody being "right" about how good he can be will lead to a front office job for an NBA team.

Even though nobody posting in this thread has said anything of the sort. You seem to have a bigger boner for Mahinmi than anyone on ST.

Brazil
10-04-2010, 01:18 PM
He is going to be a end of the bench for the mavs, I don't get the "fuck you" Ian, good riddance and stuff.
He is a young player trying to earn a spot on a very difficult league. As fas as I know he is a cool dude, he tried his best to be a spurs, he didn't steal money of the fans so why the hate ? It didn't work out for him in San Antonio, that's life.
I really hope he will become a good nba player.

westbound17
10-04-2010, 01:40 PM
So what's the name of Ian's chair? lol

Cock-n-balls
10-04-2010, 02:17 PM
Motherfuck, Cuban!!!!!!! I mean really!! Fuck his mother. "We'll teach him offense". Would that be Finals '06 offense, playoff '07 offense, or playoff '10 offense, Cuban?

Piece of shit!!!!!

yavozerb
10-04-2010, 02:33 PM
Dude got like one opportunity, and tore it up. He's younger than some second year players, so I'm not sure how he's a bust. Oh well, he's someone else's problem now.

:lol, seriously....Dude, has been in the system 3-4 yrs and still seemed like a rookie every year. He had some good moments, but all in all he seemed to be always injured or a step slow. I like Ian Mahinmi and he may be able to become 2nd or 3rd big for somebody one day, but please do not make it sound like he did not get any chances while in SA.

Obstructed_View
10-04-2010, 03:59 PM
:lol, seriously....Dude, has been in the system 3-4 yrs and still seemed like a rookie every year. He had some good moments, but all in all he seemed to be always injured or a step slow. I like Ian Mahinmi and he may be able to become 2nd or 3rd big for somebody one day, but please do not make it sound like he did not get any chances while in SA.

I'll be interested in your list of all these opportunities he got from the Spurs, particularly the ones after they failed to notice the bone fragments floating around in his ankle.

z0sa
10-04-2010, 04:00 PM
I'll be interested in your list of all these opportunities he got from the Spurs, particularly the ones after they failed to notice the bone fragments floating around in his ankle.

Did you just imply the Spurs doctors made a mistake? How are you qualified to say this, are you a doctor?? :ihit:ihit

Obstructed_View
10-04-2010, 04:04 PM
Did you just imply the Spurs doctors made a mistake? How are you qualified to say this, are you a doctor?? :ihit:ihit

:lol

Yet another reason the "Mahinmi is a china doll" argument falls on its face.

The Truth #6
10-04-2010, 04:10 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure where all these chances were. The year he was supposed to play he had an injury that was misdiagnosed by the medical staff. And then when he was finally healthy, the FO clearly decided to move in another direction and basically only subbed Ian in for a minute here or there so Pop could take Blair out of the game and tell him something and then send him back in the game.

Best of luck to him. Sucks he ended up on the miserable Mavericks of all teams.

objective
10-04-2010, 04:16 PM
The notion that Mahinmi had his chances is laughable.

Where were these people for the Jan 3rd game at Toronto when Duncan was on the second night of a road back-to-back. Instead of giving Duncan the game off and activating Mahinmi, or just giving Ratliff more time, Pop sat Duncan the entire first quarter, letting him stiffen up, then brought him in during the second when they were in a big hole.

Then he proceeded to grind Duncan down playing him 29 minutes of the possible 36 just to save the game, which didn't work. The Spurs still lost. There's your Mahinmi opportunity. The Spurs refused to give Mahinmi any chance, and that game was the ultimate proof. It was a meaningless January back end of a back2back, but still Duncan was sacrificed for a loss, and then they wonder why he breaks down later in the season.

Give me a break.

SenorSpur
10-04-2010, 04:40 PM

Where were these people for the Jan 3rd game at Toronto when Duncan was on the second night of a road back-to-back. Instead of giving Duncan the game off and activating Mahinmi, or just giving Ratliff more time, Pop sat Duncan the entire first quarter, letting him stiffen up, then brought him in during the second when they were in a big hole.

Then he proceeded to grind Duncan down playing him 29 minutes of the possible 36 just to save the game, which didn't work. The Spurs still lost. There's your Mahinmi opportunity. The Spurs refused to give Mahinmi any chance, and that game was the ultimate proof. It was a meaningless January back end of a back2back, but still Duncan was sacrificed for a loss, and then they wonder why he breaks down later in the season.

Give me a break.

:tu :tu

I couldn't have provided any better empirical evidence.

z0sa
10-04-2010, 04:42 PM
Yep. There were plenty of opportunities Popovich didn't take advantage of; that's not on Mahinmi.

The (unsupportable, inarguable) counter-argument is, of course, Pop must have seen he sucks so bad in practice.

It seems more likely that Pop held a "professional" vendetta for the recurring injury problems.

DPG21920
10-04-2010, 04:48 PM
I don't see why anyone would not want to see Ian succeed. I like Ian a lot and I hope he does really well.

TJastal
10-04-2010, 05:16 PM

Give me a break.

Yep that game snapped a 5 game winning streak when the team was playing some of its best of the season (Bonner was out w/ injury at the time) and sent the team into a nasty tailspin for nearly a month. The team never really fully recovered from that game IMO, mentally. Especially Duncan never really looked the same after this game.

That was the game Pop started Ratliff and McDyess together which turned out to be a mistake (he had Blair available too, why he chose not to use him is a mystery). Both of them were trying to set picks at the top of the key and bumbling around getting in each others' way and looking very unsure what the hell was going on. Not one of Pop's most brilliant coaching moves obviously.

Baseline
10-04-2010, 05:33 PM
Pop develops very few players and has little patience with young guys. It's his biggest fault by far. Ian definitely got lost in Pop's shuffle. Pop was too busy playing Bonner huge minutes to even see what Ian could do in "real games."

I think Ian will develop into a good player for Dallas, and I wish him all the best.

Chomag
10-04-2010, 05:36 PM
Pop develops very few players and has little patience with young guys. It's his biggest fault by far. Ian definitely got lost in Pop's shuffle. Pop was too busy playing Bonner huge minutes to even see what Ian could do in "real games."

I think Ian will develop into a good player for Dallas, and I wish him all the best.

This. I can not understand why some here (looking at you Dr, Gonzo) seem to go out of there way to bash Ian any chance they can get. I hope the Kid gets a chand in Dallas and wish him the best.

objective
10-04-2010, 10:10 PM
I actually don't think Mahinmi will develop because he's in Dallas. Carlisle has already shown the way he treats inexperienced players, even to his own detriment like Beaubois in vs the Spurs. Plus with Hayward and Chandler plus smallball I don't see Mahinmi getting any time, even with Chandler breaking down like usual.

objective
10-04-2010, 10:17 PM
Yep that game snapped a 5 game winning streak when the team was playing some of its best of the season (Bonner was out w/ injury at the time) and sent the team into a nasty tailspin for nearly a month. The team never really fully recovered from that game IMO, mentally. Especially Duncan never really looked the same after this game.

That was the game Pop started Ratliff and McDyess together which turned out to be a mistake (he had Blair available too, why he chose not to use him is a mystery). Both of them were trying to set picks at the top of the key and bumbling around getting in each others' way and looking very unsure what the hell was going on. Not one of Pop's most brilliant coaching moves obviously.

I should add even more notes on that game:

Duncan wasn't subbed in until 10 minutes left in the second. By the time he was in a Spurs offensive possession they were down by 12. In the remaining 34 minutes he was grinding for 29 of them, a pace of 41 minutes in a 4-quarter game. AND the start time for the Toronto game was only 23 hours after the start time of the game the day before at the Wizards.

So not only was Duncan put in the game after sitting cold for about 40 minutes, he played a pro-rated heavier work load with less rest during his actual playtime, digging the Spurs out of double digit hole only to still lose, and on short, short rest on the road.

Ridiculous. If Isiah or any other coach with a sketchy rep would have done something like that they would have absolutely killed for it. And deservedly so.

DPG21920
10-05-2010, 08:37 PM
It is very weird to see Ian in a Mavs jersey. He is playing pretty well in their first preseason game. Good finishing at the rim and drawing some fouls. Playing solid defense.

ceperez
10-06-2010, 05:36 AM
It is very weird to see Ian in a Mavs jersey. He is playing pretty well in their first preseason game. Good finishing at the rim and drawing some fouls. Playing solid defense.

10 pointts in 11 minutes of play. Hmmmm....

TJastal
10-06-2010, 07:26 AM
10 pointts in 11 minutes of play. Hmmmm....

But he had 2 personal fouls in those 11 minutes. That's just completely unacceptable.

ceperez
10-06-2010, 08:26 AM
But he had 2 personal fouls in those 11 minutes. That's just completely unacceptable.

Let me add the 1 turn over.

DBMethos
10-06-2010, 08:30 AM

Low BBIQ

Obstructed_View
10-06-2010, 09:12 AM

Actually he had those 2 fouls in his first five minutes, so he was on pace to play fifteen minutes, score 18 points and foul out.

SenorSpur
10-06-2010, 10:42 AM
With the emergence of perimeter-playing big men, along with the league's penchant for playing fast, this kid is one of the few, young, back-to-the-basket post players to enter the NBA in a while. Even though he's still developing, he's already demonstrated that he can deliberately set up on the block, defend the paint and look comfortable doing it. It's not like these type of guys are growing on trees.

I still maintain that Ian possesses size and skills that are not on the Spurs roster. I only wish Pop would've given him an extended look and found a place for him. After all, the Spurs will again be short-handed once McDyess hangs it up.

Splitter will be a fine addition and a productive big, but it doesn't mean that the Spurs have now solved the Fakers frontline problem. They still could use more size.

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-06-2010, 12:13 PM
I was really confused as to why Pop never gave Mahinmi more of a chance to prove himself while he was a Spur. I can only guess he saw some serious flaws that could not be overcome.

But if Ian becomes a force, or even decent, on the gotdamn Mavericks I'll be sick.