PDA

View Full Version : Pacers' loss secondary to the magic of Reggie

pooh
05-20-2005, 04:25 PM
Pacers' loss secondary to the magic of Reggie

By Bob Kravitz
May 20, 2005

They didn't want to leave. They couldn't leave. Wasn't there another Reggie Miller 3-ball poised to caress the net? Wasn't there just one more spine-tingling, mind-blowing, last-second shot that would save the Pacers and keep their season, and Miller's career, alive for one more night? Wasn't that how the script was supposed to play out?

Now, though, there were 15.7 seconds left, the Pacers reduced to intentional fouls in order to stop the clock, and coach Rick Carlisle was pulling Miller off the floor for the final time.

"Get up, guys," Pistons coach Larry Brown yelled to the players on his bench. "Everybody, get up."

They got up, and everybody in the House That Reggie Built got up, and nobody sat back down for what felt like hours. Miller, walking solemnly off the court, hugged his teammates, hugged Pistons players, hugged Carlisle. And just when it seemed like the ovation had reached a crescendo, just when it seemed like the roof might blow off the place, Brown, who coached Miller for four years here, made a classy gesture.

He called another timeout.

More time for a wonderful home crowd to pay tribute to the greatest player, and one of the finest people, ever to grace this franchise.

"I just wish I had more timeouts," Brown said later.

Soon, the game was over, the Pistons coming back and preserving a hard-fought 88-79 victory to close out this series in six games, and nobody would dare leave.

"We celebrated together," Miller said later. "And tonight, we cried together."

As the game was ending, the chant went up, as it went up all night long: "Reg-gie! Reg-gie! Reg-gie!" Miller, his focus finally off the business of winning basketball games, just looked around for a final time, absorbing the moment, relishing the sights and the sounds.

Then, while Miller was doing his TV interviews on the floor, there was another chant, one that sadly won't be honored: "One more year! One more year!"

You know, it would have been interesting to see how the Pistons and Pacers would have reacted to a seventh game in Auburn Hills, Mich. And yet, in a strange way, it was almost better this way. It was almost better to say goodbye on this night, rather than have it end on somebody else's court, with the home team celebrating and the crowd oblivious to the finish of a Hall of Fame career.

This way, it would end without a dry eye in the place.

"I love you, man," Pistons guard Chauncey Billups told Miller as the pair embraced after the game.

"Thank you for showing us the way it's done," the other Pistons guard, Rip Hamilton, said.

Even the Pistons' postgame celebration was muted by a certain sadness. Yes, they were moving on to the Eastern Conference finals against the Miami Heat, but they were seeing one of the league's great players say farewell.

"It shows you," Hamilton said, "just what Reggie's meant to the game."

It was a sad night, and at the same time, it was an absolutely unforgettable night. There aren't many lump-in-your-throat moments in sports anymore, not with the growing disconnect between the fans and athletes. With Reggie, though, it was like saying goodbye to a cherished member of the family.

As he walked off the floor and through the tunnel for the final time, he pointed to the "Indiana" across the front of his uniform and raised his finger to the sky. Words weren't necessary: "Indiana," he was saying with that gesture, "will always be number one in my heart."

Well, Reggie, if a relative newcomer can be so bold as to speak for an entire state, right back at you.

"I can't imagine your last game possibly, 18 years, and a (27 points) performance like that," Brown said. "It's mind-boggling to me. I was completely convinced when he made that 3 with four guys on him, he would find a way to win the game.

"I'm proud to be part of this game. . . . He played like he was 22 years old and everybody got to see it. And everybody ought to cherish it."

It's hard to imagine, just six months ago, the Pacers seemed to represent everything that was wrong with professional sports. But they took ownership of that terrible night, accepted their portion of responsibility for what happened. Then, they took their bitter medicine and found a way to thrive, refusing to play the victim or make excuses.

Miller has played on better teams that have accomplished more, but none with more heart. Little wonder, he called this "his most satisfying season."

Pacers fans will always wonder what might have been, had that drunken fool not thrown the beer cup, or if Ron Artest had not reacted so irresponsibly to the provocation.

No doubt, they will scream today about the 22-2 free-throw disparity in Game 6.

Well, forget it.

Just appreciate what you saw Thursday night. Appreciate the way the Pacers and Pistons, two organizations both stained by the Throwdown in Motown, came back and showed what they're truly about. What began so regrettably and violently ended so nicely, with Pistons players paying proper homage to Miller.

"Thank you," Miller said as he stood up to leave the interview room for a final time.

No, Reg.

Thank you.

Link (http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050520/COLUMNISTS01/505200506/1004/SPORTS)

Spurminator
05-20-2005, 04:53 PM
I loved Reggie, but I think some in the Sports Media have gone a little bit overboard regarding his legacy. For one thing, it seems like every other sentence about him has something to do with his failure to win an NBA title.

"Where does he rank on the points list for players who never won a title?"

"Which players have played the most seasons for one team and never won a title?"

And then, elsewhere in the discussion, comes the obligatory "He's a lock for the Hall of Fame."

It's such a trivial way to discuss such a fun player to watch. We can argue for days about whether or not he's a HOFer... but on the eve of, and days after, his retirement, how about we talk about what he has DONE in the league for 18 years and not what he FAILED to do, or what he WILL do.

1Parker1
05-20-2005, 08:41 PM
I loved Reggie, but I think some in the Sports Media have gone a little bit overboard regarding his legacy. For one thing, it seems like every other sentence about him has something to do with his failure to win an NBA title.

"Where does he rank on the points list for players who never won a title?"

"Which players have played the most seasons for one team and never won a title?"

And then, elsewhere in the discussion, comes the obligatory "He's a lock for the Hall of Fame."

It's such a trivial way to discuss such a fun player to watch. We can argue for days about whether or not he's a HOFer... but on the eve of, and days after, his retirement, how about we talk about what he has DONE in the league for 18 years and not what he FAILED to do, or what he WILL do.

Very nicely put, although if you watched Reggie's post game interview, he's actually the one that brought it up saying, "Even though I failed to bring home the trophy, I tried. I came in here and played hard every night, even when injured, I gave it my all. You can't ask for more from a basketball player. I tried."

I will miss him and everything he's done :depressed

Obstructed_View
05-20-2005, 09:11 PM
I'll be glad when they stop talking about him. I don't recall such a huge celebration of a second-tier player in my life. I was under the impression that Reggie was an under-appreciated player during his career, but he's way past overrated now. It's funny how everyone talks about all these big playoff games he had. What they fail to mention is that his team rarely won the series. Having a good game or two out of seven doesn't make him an all-time great. The networks and the sports writers sure love their eastern conference basketball, even the also-rans.

This doesn't mean I dislike Reggie Miller, or that I think he isn't a certain hall of famer. He was as fearless a player as I ever saw in a clutch situation, win or lose, be it shooting a three or penetrating, which he did extremely well with the game on the line. Watching David Robinson for so many years, I definitely admire that quality.

red kryptonite
05-21-2005, 01:32 AM
He may not have been that good but he sure was skinny.

Obstructed_View
05-21-2005, 01:36 AM
He was so skinny and yet he never backed down or failed to go hard to the hoop.

pooh
05-21-2005, 02:31 PM
Second-tier? Man is a legend...period.

1Parker1
05-21-2005, 05:37 PM
I'll be glad when they stop talking about him. I don't recall such a huge celebration of a second-tier player in my life. I was under the impression that Reggie was an under-appreciated player during his career, but he's way past overrated now. It's funny how everyone talks about all these big playoff games he had. What they fail to mention is that his team rarely won the series. Having a good game or two out of seven doesn't make him an all-time great. The networks and the sports writers sure love their eastern conference basketball, even the also-rans.

A hall of famer basketball player is retiring after staying 18 years with one franchise and though he may not have a championship he led them to the playoffs every year and gave basketball so many memorable moments, of course the networks are going to go overboard with it. His team rarely won the series---well a lot of great basketball players have had to retire without a ring and depsite their heroics, their teams have lost many series. That doesn't discount what they did in those games and throughout their career as a whole.

Obstructed_View
05-21-2005, 06:33 PM
You hit it on the head. I agree that he's a hall of famer, but two very big factors are the fact that he managed to play at a high level for such a long period of time and that he did so with a single team.

He was extremely clutch, was a very good shooter and had some big moments in nationally televised games. He also did as much with his physical gifts as anyone in the history of the NBA. I don't consider him a superstar, I don't consider him a legend, and I stand by the statement that I'm tired of hearing about him. That doesn't change the fact that he was a great player and a great professional.

TOP-CHERRY
05-21-2005, 07:51 PM
The best part was watching the idiot Michelle Tafolla from abc interview him when he was trying to say goodbye to the players and the crowd. :rolleyes