PDA

View Full Version : The Social Network

CuckingFunt
10-03-2010, 07:59 PM
Surprised there isn't a thread yet about this one. Movie was really, really good.

PakiDan
10-03-2010, 08:06 PM
Surprised there isn't a thread yet about this one. Movie was really, really good.

I agree... saw this today.

CuckingFunt
10-03-2010, 08:11 PM
Also, this one confirmed that the Jesse Eisenberg/Michael Cera comparisons are bunk. Save Adventureland (maybe), they're very different actors.

His performance here reminded me a lot of how good he was in The Squid and the Whale.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-03-2010, 08:18 PM
Meh.

balli
10-03-2010, 08:28 PM
I think Eisenberg is a really good actor.

And I have absolutely zero interest in seeing this movie.

CuckingFunt
10-03-2010, 08:31 PM

I wouldn't have either if it hadn't been for the fact David Fincher was directing.

BRHornet45
10-03-2010, 08:40 PM
son did they focus on the fact that this kid completely stole the idea of facebook from his friends?

PakiDan
10-03-2010, 08:42 PM
son did they focus on the fact that this kid completely stole the idea of facebook from his friends?

Yes, they did.

BRHornet45
10-03-2010, 08:47 PM
Yes, they did.

good. I figured they would turn the other cheek since he has been donating a lot of money to schools and other charities. I'm not hating, but this kid basically just got lucky and had next to nothing to do with facebook. He was only a small part of creating facebook, but completely stole it from his group of friends who did most of the work and creating.

CuckingFunt
10-03-2010, 08:50 PM

That's pretty much what the movie is about.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-03-2010, 08:57 PM
Yeah fuck that piece of shit zuckerberg. He's even trying to legally own the words "face" and "Book"

arrogant little fuck

Dr. Gonzo
10-03-2010, 10:00 PM
I didn't think the movie was going to be as good as it was. It was really well done and the acting was surprisingly very good.

They portray Zuckerberg as a huge socially awkward piece of shit that stole the idea and did everything he could to be cool, even fuck his only friend over. No matter what a little dick he is that fucker is paid. I'd trade friends for that kind of cash any fucking day.

The Money Changer
10-03-2010, 10:02 PM
no matter what a little dick he is that fucker is paid. I'd trade friends for that kind of cash any fucking day.
+1

BRHornet45
10-03-2010, 10:07 PM
o3hu3iG8B2g

MannyIsGod
10-03-2010, 10:28 PM
I think Eisenberg is a really good actor.

Why?

Barfunk
10-03-2010, 10:34 PM
No matter what a little dick he is that fucker is paid. I'd trade friends for that kind of cash any fucking day.
+7 Agreed 100% because they would do the exact same thing to you. :greedy

balli
10-03-2010, 10:36 PM
Why?

Because I don't find Facebook interesting; I find it destructive. Because I've read enough about Zuckerberg and this movie to know what the deal is. And because as good of a movie as it might be, which I'm sure it is, I am so revolted by Facebook that I don't even want to spend a single second of entertainment time on it as subject matter.

If this was a documentary which ripped the company to shreds I might give it a shot, but I don't want to be entertained by a feature film about Facebook.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-03-2010, 10:44 PM
Because I don't find Facebook interesting; I find it destructive. Because I've read enough about Zuckerberg and this movie to know what the deal is. And because as good of a movie as it might be, which I'm sure it is, I am so revolted by Facebook that I don't even want to spend a single second of entertainment time on it as subject matter.

If this was a documentary which ripped the company to shreds I might give it a shot, but I don't want to be entertained by a feature film about Facebook.

qft right there brah

dickface
10-03-2010, 10:50 PM
:lmao is it any shock to discover that the mookie crew scoffs facebook?

Because I don't find Facebook interesting; I find it destructive.

brah that's the point of the entire movie.

balli
10-03-2010, 10:52 PM
brah that's the point of the entire movie.
I understand that. Which is why I'm not going to waste 15 bucks and two hours of my time on entertainment which tells me less than I already know.

dickface
10-03-2010, 10:54 PM
I understand that. Which is why I'm not going to waste 15 bucks and two hours of my time on entertainment which tells me less than I already know.

Why spend money on entertainment at all then? We all already knew shit was fucked up in Baltimore, looks like The Wire is a pointless tv show.

dickface
10-03-2010, 10:55 PM
The Mafia is bad.

Goodfellas - pointless
Sopranos - pointless
The Godfather - pointless

tell me something I don't already know

balli
10-03-2010, 11:00 PM
Why spend money on entertainment at all then? We all already knew shit was fucked up in Baltimore, looks like The Wire is a pointless tv show.

The Wire told me all sorts of shit I didn't know. It was 63 hours of political/societal education. I wasn't so much entertained by it as I was affected and informed by its message. In ways I otherwise wouldn't have been, had I just read a synopsis. Which isn't true of a two hour movie which I've read about ad nauseum. In other words, David Simon's masterpiece intellectually shits all over whatever Aaron Sorkin crammed into this movie.

CuckingFunt
10-03-2010, 11:00 PM

Your prerogative. I'd gladly spend $15 (a lot more, actually) for two hours of entertainment that is smartly written, directed, and acted. Even if all it told me was that the sky is blue and flowers are pretty.

MannyIsGod
10-03-2010, 11:03 PM

Why do you think Facebook is destructive?

MannyIsGod
10-03-2010, 11:04 PM

You only go watch movies that teach you something? I watch movies for entertainment for the most part.

CuckingFunt
10-03-2010, 11:05 PM
In other words, David Simon's masterpiece intellectually shits all over whatever Aaron Sorkin crammed into this movie.

Well, no shit. One is a hour long dramatic series that lasted five seasons, the other is a film.

Guarantee, however, that the first two hours of "The Wire" (a show I'm on record as praising as one of the best ever) are intellectually matched by The Social Network.

balli
10-03-2010, 11:08 PM
Why do you think Facebook is destructive?

Because no one entity should have that much access to that many people. Because people had methods of communication that worked just fine before Facebook. And because it is eroding the individual's sense of privacy and patience and solitude and well, individuality. It is a bellwether for more intrusive monitoring of the societal whole.

BUMP
10-03-2010, 11:09 PM
tbh, trying to get balli to make sense is like teaching a newborn how to walk

MannyIsGod
10-03-2010, 11:10 PM
I'll admit that when I asked I pretty much knew Bali was going to say something along the lines of "i hate facebook". I think thats a stupid reason to not see this movie because watching the story of how facebook was created has nothing to do with liking the facebook itself.

I do want to see this because I find the backstory interesting but also because I wanted to see how good Timberlake is in it. I saw him in a movie based on a true killing a while back (I can't remember the name and I'm too lazy to IMDB it) and I actually thought he was an excellent actor.

balli
10-03-2010, 11:10 PM
I watch movies for entertainment for the most part.

I do too. But I get to choose what I'm entertained by. Like Cucking said, I'm entitled to choose what and what does not entertain me. I don't find Facebook entertaining, I find it scary and troublesome. This movie will not change that.

watching the story of how facebook was created
I already know that story. I'm not interested in Sorkin's take on it.

Problem?

MannyIsGod
10-03-2010, 11:13 PM
Because no one entity should have that much access to that many people. Because people had methods of communication that worked just fine before Facebook. And because it is eroding the individual's sense of privacy and patience and solitude and well, individuality. It is a bellwether for more intrusive monitoring of the societal whole.

Bali if you were alive over a century ago you would have been against the telephone with your criteria above. I don't thin facebook is destructive although I do think it has the capacity to bring out certain bad personal traits (narcacism for example) but the ideas you express above are more about technological advancement than facebook itself.

MannyIsGod
10-03-2010, 11:14 PM
I do too. But I get to choose what I'm entertained by. Like Cucking said, I'm entitled to choose what and what does not entertain me. I don't find Facebook entertaining, I find it scary and troublesome. This movie will not change that.

I already know that story. I'm not interested in Sorkin's take on it.

Problem?

You're definitely entitled to watch what you want. I don't think anyone ever said otherwise.

sabar
10-03-2010, 11:15 PM
If Facebook genuinely pisses him off, then he isn't going to want to watch 2 hours of Facebook's founding.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-03-2010, 11:15 PM
I'll admit that when I asked I pretty much knew Bali was going to say something along the lines of "i hate facebook". I think thats a stupid reason to not see this movie because watching the story of how facebook was created has nothing to do with liking the facebook itself.

I do want to see this because I find the backstory interesting but also because I wanted to see how good Timberlake is in it. I saw him in a movie based on a true killing a while back (I can't remember the name and I'm too lazy to IMDB it) and I actually thought he was an excellent actor.

Alpha Dog.

rofl. Can't believe I know that.

balli
10-03-2010, 11:16 PM
Bali if you were alive over a century ago you would have been against the telephone with your criteria above. I don't thin facebook is destructive although I do think it has the capacity to bring out certain bad personal traits (narcacism for example) but the ideas you express above are more about technological advancement than facebook itself.

Well, fine. you know me well enough to know that my whole political theory basically amounts to a hatred for humanity. I'm a hypocrite because I do use a telephone and a message board, but I'm just a rat in a cage and given the option, you can guess how quickly I'd get rid of most people, much less the technology that binds them.

MannyIsGod
10-03-2010, 11:17 PM
Thanks. Have you seen it? Did you think he was good in it? I generally thought the movie was fairly weak but for whatever reason I thought he did a really good job.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-03-2010, 11:18 PM
Thanks. Have you seen it? Did you think he was good in it? I generally thought the movie was fairly weak but for whatever reason I thought he did a really good job.

Seen most of it, he did not leave an impression.

Mostly cuz I feel about him not unlike balli does about facebook.

I can't take his high pitched feminine voice seriously.

Dex
10-03-2010, 11:23 PM

People had forms of communication before the telephone, and the alphabet, and human speech. Were those destructive, as well?

And Facebook has privacy settings, which only really need to be worried about by people who actually have something to hide.

CuckingFunt
10-03-2010, 11:30 PM
I don't know that I'd call Timberlake a great actor, but I think he's talented. More talented than I'd like to admit, to be honest, in both music and acting.

He was good in this one, though. Good. Neither as great as the people around him, nor far enough below them to be a distraction. Biggest problem for me, and this has been true of everything I've seen him in, is that he never stops being Justin Timberlake. But, having two sisters young enough to have been insanely into N'Sync at their peak (and, therefore, having a stretch of a couple years in which he was nearly inescapable), I don't know how much of that is really his fault.

mingus
10-03-2010, 11:30 PM
it's a very good movie. The cinematography, acting, and screenplay are all top notch. it couldve been shorter though.

balli
10-03-2010, 11:41 PM
People had forms of communication before the telephone, and the alphabet, and human speech. Were those destructive, as well?
Sure. The stakes weren't as high as they are now. But yeah, I'm on the record.

Dr. Gonzo
10-03-2010, 11:46 PM
I like playing Family Feud on Facebook. I'm contributing to the destruction of society one survey at a time.

Fpoonsie
10-04-2010, 12:33 AM
I just despise Eisenberg, so I'll prolly avoid this one.

Man crush on Cera, though. Go figure.

baseline bum
10-04-2010, 12:42 AM

I don't know about that one. Language and speech is the single thing that probably most defines the human species.

ALVAREZ6
10-04-2010, 01:38 AM
justin timberlake is a terrible actor, period.

Stringer_Bell
10-04-2010, 05:52 AM
I give Timberlake credit for trying to act and come up with a character, but he's too recognizable to be in a good movie. Same with Angelina and Brad and Clooney and Scarlett Johanssen...they're ok, but not good enough to act without being a distraction to the story. I hate the kid playing Zuckerberg, but maybe that's becuase he's good at playing a wimpy dipshit?

I read a spoiler for the last scene of this movie, almost made me want to see it.

Guarantee, however, that the first two hours of "The Wire" (a show I'm on record as praising as one of the best ever) are intellectually matched by The Social Network.

If it's a guarantee, what do I get if The Wire curb stomps The Social Network in an intellectual battle?

midnightpulp
10-04-2010, 06:56 AM
Well, fine. you know me well enough to know that my whole political theory basically amounts to a hatred for humanity. I'm a hypocrite because I do use a telephone and a message board, but I'm just a rat in a cage and given the option, you can guess how quickly I'd get rid of most people, much less the technology that binds them.

So what would your ideal society look like, Ted Kaczynski?

You do realize if you rid people of the technology that binds them, the Xbox 360 would have to be included, which would mean no more Modern Warfare 2 for yourself.

Lol Luddism.

JoeChalupa
10-04-2010, 08:56 AM
I'll wait for the DVD and redbox it. I don't put too much emphasis on the directing, writing and acting because I know I enjoy movies that are not always well directed, written or have great acting, in someone else's eyes that is. I do do facebook though.

DisAsTerBot
10-04-2010, 09:06 AM
not interested in facebook or a movie about facebook

Cry Havoc
10-04-2010, 09:18 AM
I wouldn't have either if it hadn't been for the fact David Fincher was directing.

The fact that Aaron Sorkin wrote it didn't have any impact on your desire to see it?

Drachen
10-04-2010, 09:44 AM
Seen most of it, he did not leave an impression.

Mostly cuz I feel about him not unlike balli does about facebook.

I can't take his high pitched feminine voice seriously.

I felt this way about him up until he started being a regular on SNL. I know that it is mostly writers that write the stuff, but he did excellent, and was really funny. He takes shots at himself pretty regularly (doesn't take his "image" too seriously), even lampooning the voice that you hate, and so I have had a growing respect for him. If I find out he is going to be on SNL, I will actually watch that episode (cant really think of any other reason to watch it).

I can't really see myself wanting to watch this movie though.

Shelly
10-04-2010, 09:53 AM
Cant Be Faded--I thought you see it for the movie score considering Trent did it!

:)

howbouthemspurs
10-04-2010, 09:56 AM
Very solid movie!

mrsmaalox
10-04-2010, 10:37 AM
I didn't think the movie was going to be as good as it was. It was really well done and the acting was surprisingly very good.

They portray Zuckerberg as a huge socially awkward piece of shit that stole the idea and did everything he could to be cool, even fuck his only friend over. No matter what a little dick he is that fucker is paid. I'd trade friends for that kind of cash any fucking day.

But that "fucked over friend" (Saverin) didn't do too badly either; in the later settlement he got enough stock to give him about 5 percent of the company today, worth about $1.4 billion. The movie omits this. Not too shabby when his commitment to their project lasted less than 6 months.

MannyIsGod
10-04-2010, 11:10 AM
The fact that Aaron Sorkin wrote it didn't have any impact on your desire to see it?

Thats why I want to see it.

Cock-n-balls
10-04-2010, 11:53 AM

Someone told me Timberlake is the Napster guy. Is that true? I should've gone early Saturday or Sunday morning before all the teeny boppers infested the theaters. I just picture the glare from all their phones would piss me off while they posted on Facebook they're at the theater watching the Facebook movie.

Cock-n-balls
10-04-2010, 12:02 PM
Also, this one confirmed that the Jesse Eisenberg/Michael Cera comparisons are bunk. Save Adventureland (maybe), they're very different actors.

His performance here reminded me a lot of how good he was in The Squid and the Whale.

Cera annoys the FUCK out of me. I can't stand his talking-under-his-breath style of talking. I always want to punch him when I see and hear him. I think I would have enjoyed Superbad a little more if he had not been in it.

lefty
10-04-2010, 12:16 PM
I will never watch that movie

CosmicCowboy
10-04-2010, 12:19 PM

But just think about all the free farmville shit you are missing!

Dex
10-04-2010, 12:38 PM
Someone told me Timberlake is the Napster guy. Is that true? I should've gone early Saturday or Sunday morning before all the teeny boppers infested the theaters. I just picture the glare from all their phones would piss me off while they posted on Facebook they're at the theater watching the Facebook movie.

Yeah, Timberlake plays Sean Parker, the guy who founded Napster and also played a large role as an adviser in getting FB off the ground. I never knew about any of this until I saw the movie.

Medvedenko
10-04-2010, 12:51 PM
As a movie it was transcendent, however a little emotionally stunted at times, it reverberated within it's confines. The emotionality and tension was caused directly by the money involved rather than the actual relationships portrayed. Still a fabolous effort given it's subject matter.

Cock-n-balls
10-04-2010, 01:45 PM
Yeah, Timberlake plays Sean Parker, the guy who founded Napster and also played a large role as an adviser in getting FB off the ground. I never knew about any of this until I saw the movie.

You can learn alot from movies.

Dex
10-04-2010, 03:11 PM

Hell yeah. Thanks to Die Hard I learned that guns never run out of bullets, and that I should walk on glass and take no prisoners.

Cock-n-balls
10-04-2010, 03:19 PM
You should check out X-men next.

Cry Havoc
10-04-2010, 04:27 PM

Only if they have conventional endings. :lol

CubanSucks
10-04-2010, 05:37 PM
balli sounds like great grandpa whining about "them cellular telephones"

Cant_Be_Faded
10-04-2010, 09:53 PM
Cant Be Faded--I thought you see it for the movie score considering Trent did it!

:)

Yeah I listened to some of the tracks. They're aiiiight.

lint
10-04-2010, 10:18 PM
who the hell is aaron sorkin?

Nathan Explosion
10-04-2010, 11:45 PM
Surprised no one mentioned that, save for the names and the name Facebook, the movie is almost entirely a work of fiction. HUGE reason not to see it, whether you're a Facebook fan or not. Check out these links.

http://www.businessinsider.com/facebook-movie-zuckerberg-ims

http://www.businessinsider.com/is-the-social-network-true-2010-10

http://www.allfacebook.com/social-network-fiction-2010-09

http://articles.cnn.com/2010-09-30/tech/facebook.movie.zuckerberg_1_facebook-co-founder-facebook-founder-eduardo-saverin?_s=PM:TECH

From the last link.

"The Social Network" is based on Ben Mezrich's book "The Accidental Billionaires," a fictionalized account of the site's founding which used an ousted Facebook co-founder as its primary source.

Why even make a movie about something when it's fiction? It's not like Saving Private Ryan which uses a real event as a backdrop to a fake story. This movie presents itself as being the real story, although it never says it does.

But if they wanted a fictional account, why not change the names and site and just allude to the fact that it's supposed to be Facebook but isn't.

Finally, I'm with the guy that said Facebook is destructive. I've known people who spend more time on Facebook or worrying about it than they do handling their real world responsibilities and relationships.

Hell, before my wife left, she was spending more time on Facebook and IMing that she was paying attention to our kids. The argument that followed (not really an argument, just me bitching her out about ignoring her real responsibility aka parenthood) led to our split.

And this is not the only story of this happening to people by any stretch of the imagination. You can claim that Spurstalk is similar, but I don't spend nearly as much time on this site as people do on Facebook. Hell, this is the first time in days that I've visited.

mrsmaalox
10-05-2010, 12:22 AM
Nathan, have you read "The Facebook Effect: The Inside Story of the Company That Is Connecting the World" by David Kirkpatrick? I really enjoyed it, but it is the main reason I have not rushed to see the movie. It was written with full cooperation of Zuckerberg and the founders, except Saverin. "The Accidental Billionaires" (that the movie is based on) is a nonfictional novel whose main source is Saverin. So of course there is a slant and enhancement for entertainment purposes. It's just a movie, and a very entertaining one from what I've heard, and I will see it eventually. I just need the Kirkpatrick book to fade in my memory enough so it can be enjoyable.

Cock-n-balls
10-05-2010, 04:38 AM
That's way too much thought and justification being done to see a movie or not. Movies are movies, guys. I mean, really.

DisAsTerBot
10-05-2010, 09:14 AM
That's way too much thought and justification being done to see a movie or not. Movies are movies, guys. I mean, really.

exactly. i dont watch movies about knitting just like i dont watch movies about facebook.

Nathan Explosion
10-05-2010, 10:00 AM

No, before I found out about it being almost entirely fiction, I had no desire to see it anyway. I have no interest being on Facebook, so why would I want to see a movie about it?

Then I saw all the articles and columns pop up about it being fiction and I just wondered why even make the movie at all? Why not just make a movie about fictional characters and a fictional website and just allude to the fact that it's supposed to be Facebook?

It doesn't really make sense to me. It's like making a movie about the Battle of the Alamo, but this time, the Texans win. Or something to that effect.

Cock-n-balls
10-05-2010, 10:03 AM
So was your wife cheating on you with some old flame on facebook or whatever?

Nathan Explosion
10-05-2010, 10:19 AM
So was your wife cheating on you with some old flame on facebook or whatever?

No. She just decided that she liked talking to all her 20 year old, single with no kids, friends (She's 27 and has 2 kids) on Facebook, IM and texting more than she wanted to watch her own kids.

One night I woke up at 2:30 am and found my son playing the Wii in my room. I saw that it was 2:30 and went into the living room and found her on Facebook and texting. I proceeded to bitch her out and ask why my 3 year old was playing the Wii and not asleep while she talks to her friends online.

The arguments continue to this day everytime she comes over. I discovered that one of the days she was watching the kids while I was at work, she was IMing someone. Because I can't trust her to ignore her friends (She left me because she wanted to go out with them, went to Seaworld with them instead of watching the kids one time when I couldn't get out of bed without throwing up, because it was her birthday [the week before it was not that day]) I told her that while she's here at my place she can't be on my computer.

If her online life is that important, she should bring her laptop but she can't use my computer. She gets mad saying I treat her like a child, but I respond if I could trust her to act like an adult, I wouldn't have to treat her like a child. I'm only a year older than her, but yet, the difference in mentality seems like almost a decade.

Anyway, that's enough of that. I've said too much on the subject matter anyway.

Cock-n-balls
10-05-2010, 10:38 AM
Well, bro, I think she was doing a bit more than talking with them. Sorry but I'm new here so I don't know what you've said about this before. Most women don't stop playing games until they reach 26-28. She's probably making up for lost time.

Nathan Explosion
10-05-2010, 10:44 AM
Well, bro, I think she was doing a bit more than talking with them. Sorry but I'm new here so I don't know what you've said about this before. Most women don't stop playing games until they reach 26-28. She's probably making up for lost time.

She's out of my home now, and since she's left, I've done some playing of my own, both with her and an old friend from high school, so it doesn't matter anymore.

I just don't want that stupid shit around my kids. They're priority #1 always.

Cock-n-balls
10-05-2010, 10:47 AM
Yeah. Fuck her. If she left you and her kids then she's a disgusting filthy whore. I'd wrap up the salami next time you have relations with her. Personally I'd toss that pussy as far as it can be thrown.

Nathan Explosion
10-05-2010, 10:54 AM
Yeah. Fuck her. If she left you and her kids then she's a disgusting filthy whore. I'd wrap up the salami next time you have relations with her. Personally I'd toss that pussy as far as it can be thrown.

Eh, she knows how to please me in bed. Plus, my friend had just broken up with her boyfriend as well, so we were just straight fucking, and she had a pregnancy scare from the ex (she was already late the first time we slept with each other) so I was cut off from my friend for a while.

We're supposed to take our kids (she has two as well) to the museum later on today. Hopefully sometime this week we can find some time to get together again.

As for my wife, all I know is, if she has another man, then she's definitely cheating on him with me, so who gives a fuck. She's come after me the past few times and I'm making sure I get mine, so yeah.

MannyIsGod
10-05-2010, 12:32 PM
Yeah, sounds like Facebook was really the root of your marital issues.

Nathan Explosion
10-05-2010, 12:38 PM
Yeah, sounds like Facebook was really the root of your marital issues.

No, it wasn't. It was the straw that broke the camel's back. When my son was born, I became a full on parent. My wife wanted to be the person who could still go out. She started living vicariously through her immature friends and eventually wanted to act like them.

I had to keep reminding her that she could never be like them because she was 7 years older than them and had 2 kids to she was responsible for. She didn't want the responsibility, so now I have all the responsibility.

However, Facebook, Myspace and all the other sites encourage things like this. It's not the site's fault, but the site isn't helping matter either.

I prefer to live in the real world with human interaction while she was more concerned about the words on the computer screen or her phone.

DarkReign
10-05-2010, 12:52 PM
not interested in facebook or a movie about facebook

Dont have a facebook, not interested in facebook, never will care about facebook.

Im sure it great for people who have friends and fanily spread out over large areas, but I dont.

But I find it...difficult to comprehend that events are now scheduled within Facebook and that if you arent connected, youre left out.

I dont find myself to be so interesting that my daily events need to be plastered on the internet for my "friends" to see. Nor do I care that much to know other people in the same way.

Facebook/Twitter/MySpace are all just venues for egocentrism and reinforcing the repressed narcissism of all people. I'd rather not wade into the spectrum of humanity that encourages people to assign an unrealistic and undeserved worth to themselves.

MannyIsGod
10-05-2010, 01:08 PM
Sorry, but I can apply just about everything you guys say to the telephone. I agree completely that facebook can expose narcissism but so what? We've had plenty of ways narcissists could express themselves before facebook and we'll have more ways in the fufure.

Why are you suprised that you're left out if you're not using the form of communication being used? If you didn't have a phone would you expect people to come to your house to let you know what was going on? If you didn't have a mailing address would you be upset that you didn't get the invitation in the mail?

I don't even use my facebook account very often. I log in a couple of times a week and I update even less, but I do see its usefulness as a communication tool or a tool to stay in touch with others I otherwise would not stay in touch with.

Its a communication tool. Thats all social media is.

Nathan Explosion
10-05-2010, 01:37 PM
Sorry, but I can apply just about everything you guys say to the telephone. I agree completely that facebook can expose narcissism but so what? We've had plenty of ways narcissists could express themselves before facebook and we'll have more ways in the fufure.

Why are you suprised that you're left out if you're not using the form of communication being used? If you didn't have a phone would you expect people to come to your house to let you know what was going on? If you didn't have a mailing address would you be upset that you didn't get the invitation in the mail?

I don't even use my facebook account very often. I log in a couple of times a week and I update even less, but I do see its usefulness as a communication tool or a tool to stay in touch with others I otherwise would not stay in touch with.

It can be a communication tool. But far too often it becomes an obsession. At work I see people on Facebook on their phones whenever they get a chance.

I use Twitter because it's a great way to break news in a very quick fashion. The first time I saw this in action was during the NBA trade deadline. It was amazing how fast trades were being reported. You'd see the trade on Twitter long before it showed on any sports site. Plus, sometimes I wake up in the morning, check Twitter and see some trending topic like "UT shooting" (example) and think, "Wonder what happened at UT?" only to check CNN.com and find the story.

A lot of people like to post mundane details on Twitter but a good majority of the people I follow are posting links to stories that interest them, or in my case, music that I don't see many people talking about that I really enjoy. I've come across some good stuff through other people's links on Twitter.

And then there's Uncle Rukus.

But I don't spend tons of time on Twitter either.

The Reckoning
10-05-2010, 01:47 PM
imo facebook was awesome until parents and grandparents started creating profiles.

"now stan, poke your grandma."

CosmicCowboy
10-05-2010, 01:49 PM
*warning*

Don't get "Words with Friends" as an iphone ap. It's addictive.

The Reckoning
10-05-2010, 01:52 PM
for instance, just the other day i had my step-grandma (rofl) send me a message onf facebook worrying about me promoting the abuse of cats. one of my friends had posted the video of some cat playing a piano.

an hour later i had my stepmom send me an email basically hinting that i was some closet sociopath because i promote abusing animals. wtf? gtfo of my business. none of them are my facebook friends anymore.

LoneStarState'sPride
10-05-2010, 01:52 PM
imo facebook was awesome until parents and grandparents started creating profiles.

"now stan, poke your grandma."

No shit :depressed

DisAsTerBot
10-05-2010, 02:01 PM
Dont have a facebook, not interested in facebook, never will care about facebook.

Im sure it great for people who have friends and fanily spread out over large areas, but I dont.

But I find it...difficult to comprehend that events are now scheduled within Facebook and that if you arent connected, youre left out.

I dont find myself to be so interesting that my daily events need to be plastered on the internet for my "friends" to see. Nor do I care that much to know other people in the same way.

Facebook/Twitter/MySpace are all just venues for egocentrism and reinforcing the repressed narcissism of all people. I'd rather not wade into the spectrum of humanity that encourages people to assign an unrealistic and undeserved worth to themselves.

:tu

mingus
10-05-2010, 02:15 PM

or facebook can be a venue to see what people, who you have no way of seeing or talking to on a regular basis, have to say. i'm not saying that that it isn't a venue for narcissism, but it isn't that for everybody.

mingus
10-05-2010, 02:19 PM
i wouldn't neccessarily group facebook with twitter. twitter is the far more narcissistic site. there compulsive FB users (people who update their status every second, always have something [even if it's not at all interesting] to put on their wall), but there are all just as many, if not more, casual FB users, who go on one or twice a day to see what peole are up to.

Drachen
10-05-2010, 04:00 PM
It can be a communication tool. But far too often it becomes an obsession. At work I see people on Facebook on their phones whenever they get a chance.

I use Twitter because it's a great way to break news in a very quick fashion. The first time I saw this in action was during the NBA trade deadline. It was amazing how fast trades were being reported. You'd see the trade on Twitter long before it showed on any sports site. Plus, sometimes I wake up in the morning, check Twitter and see some trending topic like "UT shooting" (example) and think, "Wonder what happened at UT?" only to check CNN.com and find the story.

A lot of people like to post mundane details on Twitter but a good majority of the people I follow are posting links to stories that interest them, or in my case, music that I don't see many people talking about that I really enjoy. I've come across some good stuff through other people's links on Twitter.

And then there's Uncle Rukus.

But I don't spend tons of time on Twitter either.

You know what else does all of this? Facebook. You just took the step after facebook with Twitter because it is faster. You are actually ahead of the facebookers.

Basically I see value in a social networking site. I dont, however see the value in multiple social networking sites. I don't get why someone would like to have Facebook, Twitter, and Myspace. What's the point? They all pretty much do the same things (except all tweets now being saved in the Library of Congress).

Nathan Explosion
10-05-2010, 04:13 PM
*warning*

Don't get "Words with Friends" as an iphone ap. It's addictive.

Too late. I have two games going at the moment. My friend has beaten me like 7 times in a row, but I'm absolutely crushing him at the moment. My only real concern with that game is to see if I can break 400. I need about 30 something points and about 5 letters left so it's going to be close.

Nathan Explosion
10-05-2010, 04:21 PM
You know what else does all of this? Facebook. You just took the step after facebook with Twitter because it is faster. You are actually ahead of the facebookers.

Basically I see value in a social networking site. I dont, however see the value in multiple social networking sites. I don't get why someone would like to have Facebook, Twitter, and Myspace. What's the point? They all pretty much do the same things (except all tweets now being saved in the Library of Congress).

Facebook and Myspace have far too many distractions attached to them. I'd argue that Twitter is in fact not a step ahead, but a step back. It's bare bones. Here's a snippet of what I have to say. Here's a link. That is all.

When I had Myspace and before my son was born, I had videos, pictures and so much more on it. I was on it constantly. After my son was born, I saw what Myspace had become (and further, what Facebook was about to become) and I pulled back. At a time when you thought I'd actually be on Myspace more updating on my kids, adding pics and whatnot, I pulled back.

Like I said, Twitter for me is a way to find new things that I wouldn't have found on my own. Sometimes I'll post comments on what I'm thinking, but mostly I respond to people I follow or post links to things I like.

It's streamlined information. Here's a link and quick description. Check it out yourself. As for Facebook, people are talking about personal stuff on there, sharing way too much information and having no sense of decency. Hell, my family found out my wife and I separated because she posted something like, "Big changes ahead" and changed her marital status. At first my family thought she was pregnant again but then saw the marital status thing.

They told me about it. How fucked up is that? And there are websites dedicated to showing all of this stuff and how funny it is.

If someone wants to get a hold of me, they know my email. Or they have my number and can text. Text messages stay on my phone so I can respond when I want and vice versa. Our schedules tend to clash a lot, so phone conversations can be difficult to establish. A simple text is the best way to get a hold of me because of the business of my schedule, what with a 40 hour a week job and raising 2 kids under 4 on my own.

CosmicCowboy
10-05-2010, 04:45 PM
Too late. I have two games going at the moment. My friend has beaten me like 7 times in a row, but I'm absolutely crushing him at the moment. My only real concern with that game is to see if I can break 400. I need about 30 something points and about 5 letters left so it's going to be close.

I got 410 a couple of days ago.

Nathan Explosion
10-05-2010, 05:46 PM
I got 410 a couple of days ago.

I once pulled a 90 point word out of my ass. I figured that was the game when I destroy him. He came back with a word easily over 100. Bitch ass.

It's frustrating as hell, and just a pain in the ass overall. And yet, I still can't stop playing it. :lol

Amuseddaysleeper
10-06-2010, 01:18 AM
David Fincher really can do no wrong. Best picture of the year so far.

Did anyone else notice the "Tyler Durden" alias Zuckerberg uses in the movie when he makes that fake account? He was even looking through Tyler Durden photos.

I only saw it because a friend told me to watch out for it, but I thought it was a great little nod to Fight Club :lol

DarkReign
10-06-2010, 09:02 AM
or facebook can be a venue to see what people, who you have no way of seeing or talking to on a regular basis, have to say. i'm not saying that that it isn't a venue for narcissism, but it isn't that for everybody.

I should have added that as a disclaimer. I fully realize not everyone is that way.

But, to me, the narcissists far outnumber the normal, non-ego driven individuals.

Or is that they are the vocal minority? Not sure, but I actually listen to a few people go back and forth about so-and-so being a FB douchebag and I just roll my eyes at the lot of them.

DarkReign
10-06-2010, 09:10 AM

True.

Trust me when I say that the "..being left out" comment was more an observation than a reality, for me.

All true, its just a tool that I choose not to ever use or be apart of. I understand your reference to the telephone, but I disagree with it. Before the telephone was the telegram. I would say a more apt comparison was before facebook/myspace there was (and still is) email, a totally viable method of communication that doesnt broadcast how perfect and cool some people are.

Most people on Facebook are the type of douchebags who send you family pictures on their Christmas cards with blurbs about how little Johnny is a straight A student and the star of his tee-ball team. I'd rather leave people to their unrealistic and totally fabricated fantasies about their life to one correspondence per year.

Again, it isnt everyone and you, Manny, dont particularly strike me as a person who acts in such a way, but you know the people I am talking about. I also understand its usefulness for people with family all over the world/country (like DLF) where you can still see numerous updates per year of family/friends. I do get it.

But none of that applies to me, therefore I dont use it.

Cock-n-balls
10-06-2010, 09:10 AM
I should have added that as a disclaimer. I fully realize not everyone is that way.

But, to me, the narcissists far outnumber the normal, non-ego driven individuals.

I have a hard time buying your resent of this so called narcissistic display after seeing you have one of the biggest stuck up motherfucks for an avatar. Pretty laughable.

DarkReign
10-06-2010, 09:15 AM
I have a hard time buying your resent of this so called narcissistic display after seeing you have one of the biggest stuck up motherfucks for an avatar. Pretty laughable.

Because of my avatar? Really?

So I should assume you like cock, right? Because, you know, you have balls in your avatar?

Right?

monosylab1k
10-06-2010, 09:20 AM

So I should assume you like cock, right? Because, you know, you have balls in your avatar?

Right?

You probably should assume that he likes balls.

CosmicCowboy
10-06-2010, 09:21 AM
I mainly just lurk and read the interactions of my family/friends and rarely post unless directly addressed by someone...

Some of my daughters friends though...sheesh! Heres one from last night...

"Seriously thinking about going to bed...haven't been getting good sleep lately...stupid sinuses...."

I mean...WTF? Do I really need to know that?

ididnotnothat
10-06-2010, 09:24 AM
It was an okay movie but I wouldn't call it one of the best.

Cock-n-balls
10-06-2010, 09:36 AM

Right?

So pictured balls means I like cock? Brilliant thinking there, guy. You may be picturing a nutsack but there's really nothing I can do to wash that heavenly thought from your mind, you fucking fuckstick. Jeez, you're dumb.

mrsmaalox
10-06-2010, 11:03 AM
I'll admit I was dragged into the FB world kicking and screaming. I was being mercilessly hounded on several fronts, and I finally cracked. Actually I cracked because, having 3 kids, I thought I should check it out and see what is was all about and what they were doing with it.

Most people on Facebook are the type of douchebags who send you family pictures on their Christmas cards with blurbs about how little Johnny is a straight A student and the star of his tee-ball team. I'd rather leave people to their unrealistic and totally fabricated fantasies about their life to one correspondence per year.

That's what I thought it would be also, but with a very small amt of effort I have made sure to avoid that. I have quite a few of those "Holiday Letter" douches in my family, so their FB requests go unaccepted. Very easy with a single stroke--gone! I also don't accept requests from people I see or pick up the phone and call every day anyway. I'm not interested in being "found" by people from high school or any other friend I haven't spoken to in 20 years; if I wanted to hear from them I'd have initiated contact myself. So basically I keep a very small circle of friends (about 20) and they are ones I genuinely want to keep in touch with. Of those chosen few, I've cut off a couple with a political or religious agenda; easy as can be ;)

But one thing I absolutely love about Facebook is the information from media sources I can choose to receive. It's so great to log in everyday and find a bunch of cool stories right there. Using NPR as an example, I listen everyday locally, but via FB updates, they provide me news and features that I wouldn't have the time to seek out on my own. FB is where I go first now for reading from my favorite news/information sites. That is undisputably the greatest thing about FB :tu

I Cut
10-06-2010, 11:11 AM
Thanks for that wall of text

DarkReign
10-06-2010, 12:09 PM
So pictured balls means I like cock? Brilliant thinking there, guy. You may be picturing a nutsack but there's really nothing I can do to wash that heavenly thought from your mind, you fucking fuckstick. Jeez, you're dumb.

Ok, Cock-n-Balls.

Fpoonsie
10-06-2010, 12:26 PM
I mainly just lurk and read the interactions of my family/friends and rarely post unless directly addressed by someone...

Some of my daughters friends though...sheesh! Heres one from last night...

"Seriously thinking about going to bed...haven't been getting good sleep lately...stupid sinuses...."

I mean...WTF? Do I really need to know that?

:lol Yeah, it's either that or they post shit no one NEEDS to know. I actually ended up deleting this chick I hardly knew in the first place after this latest one...

"I feel like f***in' shit! Coming off of an antidepressent for a day sucks! I hate feeling light headed! I hate our medical system sometimes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get your shit together and start letting Americans get their damn prescriptions!!! Supposedly I had PPD after having Myla and because of not having much money, I had to stop taking my Lexapro. I hate life sometimes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I Cut
10-06-2010, 12:32 PM
:lol Yeah, it's either that or they post shit no one NEEDS to know. I actually ended up deleting this chick I hardly knew in the first place after this latest one...

"I feel like f***in' shit! Coming off of an antidepressent for a day sucks! I hate feeling light headed! I hate our medical system sometimes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get your shit together and start letting Americans get their damn prescriptions!!! Supposedly I had PPD after having Myla and because of not having much money, I had to stop taking my Lexapro. I hate life sometimes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

She sounds like a winner. Clinically depressed chicks can be quite fun at times. Other times straight up loons. It's a coin toss.

Drachen
10-06-2010, 12:57 PM
She sounds like a winner. Clinically depressed chicks can be quite fun at times. Other times straight up loons. It's a coin toss.

My wife's best friend's douchy husband started blabbing on about having irritable bowel syndrome, and brings it up every once in a while.

I keep him there because her best friend is a really good person (who made a baaaad decision) and they have a kid. I want to help them out by trying to head off a really dumb idea by posting something from a responsible adult about his moron ideas that don't take his family into account. Narcissist? possibly. Effective? Not yet. I just have to keep hoping that maybe I can make a difference though, because no kid needs to have a person who is the way he is as a dad.

CosmicCowboy
10-06-2010, 01:44 PM
I once pulled a 90 point word out of my ass. I figured that was the game when I destroy him. He came back with a word easily over 100. Bitch ass.

It's frustrating as hell, and just a pain in the ass overall. And yet, I still can't stop playing it. :lol

BAM! I just beat my sister (that has a masters in english) for the 15th straight game and she keeps coming right back for more abuse...:lol

The Reckoning
10-06-2010, 01:45 PM
having 3 kids, I thought I should check it out and see what is was all about and what they were doing with it.

see what i mean. parents all up in kids business on facebook. its like going through your kids yearbooks to see what their friends wrote in the back, or picking up the other phoneline to listen to their convos. :nope

i do agree with darkreign about the whole christmas card crowd. i get all this shit about how great everyones kids are doing every week. when i ask them to please stop, they say "oh, why are you being so jealous? why dont you do something with your life instead of envying others?"

JoeChalupa
10-06-2010, 01:48 PM
see what i mean. parents all up in kids business on facebook. its like going through your kids yearbooks to see what their friends wrote in the back, or picking up the other phoneline to listen to their convos. :nope

"

I'm liberal but I do keep tabs on what my kids do on their phones and on the internet. I'm a parent, not a friend and they know damn well I can pop into their rooms at any time. I knock before of course.

DisAsTerBot
10-06-2010, 01:48 PM

i do agree with darkreign about the whole christmas card crowd. i get all this shit about how great everyones kids are doing every week. when i ask them to please stop, they say "oh, why are you being so jealous? why dont you do something with your life instead of envying others?"

it's all just a lot of drama, which is why people like myself and others have chosen not to participate. Even if you choose to not accept certain friends that still creates drama.

I Cut
10-06-2010, 01:57 PM
I'm liberal but I do keep tabs on what my kids do on their phones and on the internet. I'm a parent, not a friend and they know damn well I can pop into their rooms at any time. I knock before of course.

Gotta give them enough time to hide they weed.

mrsmaalox
10-06-2010, 02:16 PM

Nah that's not it at all :lol First of all I like to understand what they are talking about when they share things with me.

I'm not their FB friend and we don't post on each other's pages. BUT my main reason for checking up on them is that since I was a little late to the whole FB party, they were already "friends" with my dad.

So they have their friends posting typical kid crap, in typical kid language on their pages. Then my dad checks their pages and bam! I'm the one who gets a call from my dad lecturing me on what are they doing, what kind of kids are they associating with, don't I keep an eye on them, etc.

So basically, I talked to my kids and told them they needed to 1) block my dad off their pages OR 2) let me periodically check up on their walls and see if there is anything that could be deemed innappropriate by my dad; if there is, I ask them to delete it. It was their choice, and it keeps my dad off of my back! :)

Nathan Explosion
10-06-2010, 11:04 PM
it's all just a lot of drama, which is why people like myself and others have chosen not to participate. Even if you choose to not accept certain friends that still creates drama.

I remember there being a lot of drama on Myspace about not being placed 1st on the top friends list. I could tell when my then GF was mad about me because I'd get dropped down a few spots. I'd look at her and say, "Really, you think that's going to put me in my place that I'm not #1? It really doesn't matter."

That same GF had a friend stop talking to her because she first dropped him out of her top 5 and then dropped him as a friend altogether because of his non stop posting of stupid shit.

Drama gets created for no reason, and so I avoid it but not having a Myspace or Facebook page period.

As for the news, it shows up on my iGoogle page anyway, so I can read the day's top stories as soon as I open up Chrome.

SA210
10-11-2010, 08:31 PM
Great film :tu :tu

Cant_Be_Faded
10-11-2010, 10:40 PM
It's funny cuz once Manny agrees a movie is perfecto every Breen on this site drives in to say it's a good movie too.

SA210
10-11-2010, 11:07 PM
I don't know about Manny, I feel like it's one of the best movies of the year because I think it is. And it's not just a movie about Facebook. Well written, scored, acted, directed, overall really really good film. Hope it gets nominated.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-12-2010, 12:04 AM
Let's just see one single movie mentioned in spurstalk history that Manny likes that the legions don't.
I said.

monosylab1k
10-12-2010, 09:45 AM
Is it any shock that the two most acclaimed movies of the year (Inception and The Social Network) are both being scoffed by the Mookie Crew?

JoeChalupa
10-12-2010, 09:58 AM
I'll give my two cents when it hits Red Box.

Fabbs
10-21-2010, 08:29 AM
Nathan, have you read "The Facebook Effect: The Inside Story of the Company That Is Connecting the World" by David Kirkpatrick? I really enjoyed it, but it is the main reason I have not rushed to see the movie. It was written with full cooperation of Zuckerberg and the founders, except Saverin. "The Accidental Billionaires" (that the movie is based on) is a nonfictional novel whose main source is Saverin. So of course there is a slant and enhancement for entertainment purposes. It's just a movie, and a very entertaining one from what I've heard, and I will see it eventually. I just need the Kirkpatrick book to fade in my memory enough so it can be enjoyable.
Ah, thank you Mrs M.

Pretty good movie.
I'm left wondering what is accurate and what is fabricated.
Wiki (:lol fwiw) says the BBB gives Facebook a D rating and lists many sneaky moves they have done, heavily cautions any companies putting ads on FB. Also notes how Facebooks fine print saying they can use whatever you post whenever and for whatever reason opens up major privacy abuse issues.
Also says Zuckenbergs mother is a psychiatrist (would fit with him being portrayed as diconnected manipulative psycho in movie. But is it at all accurate?)

The Twinklevoss Twins got about 65 million in a settlement. How about the Manny looking 3rd guy who always was with the twins? Why no settlement dough for him or did the Twins cut him in from their share?

Drachen
10-21-2010, 08:31 AM
You know what else is funny? Zuck didn't even donate the 100 Mil to that New Jersey school district. He said he would... if they could raise 100 mil.

Fabbs
10-21-2010, 08:52 AM
Surprised no one mentioned that, save for the names and the name Facebook, the movie is almost entirely a work of fiction. HUGE reason not to see it, whether you're a Facebook fan or not. Check out these links.

http://articles.cnn.com/2010-09-30/tech/facebook.movie.zuckerberg_1_facebook-co-founder-facebook-founder-eduardo-saverin?_s=PM:TECH
Props Nathan, very helpful.

Fabbs
10-21-2010, 09:13 AM
I didn't see Adam D'Angelo portayed in the movie, or was he?
And why did he end up with less then 1% of Facebook?

The 10 Most Glaring Lies In "The Social Network"

The movie also portrays Eduardo Saverin as Mark Zuckerberg's BFF and original collaborator on Facebook. Nope. That was Adam D'Angelo, Mark's Exeter classmate and Facebook's first CTO.

tlongII
10-21-2010, 09:51 AM
You know what else is funny? Zuck didn't even donate the 100 Mil to that New Jersey school district. He said he would... if they could raise 100 mil.

Is that true? I haven't heard that.

Drachen
10-21-2010, 10:16 AM

On Oprah's national television show Mark Zuckerberg, co-founder of Facebook, accompanied by Governor Christie and Newark mayor Cory Booker, announced he will make a $100 million gift to the Newark school system spread over five years. Zuckerberg's gift is in the form of a "challenge grant." Newark has to raise an additional $100 million over five years, bringing the total philanthropic bounty to $200 million.

Link (http://www.newjerseynewsroom.com/commentary/zuckerbergs-100-million-must-lead-to-total-makeover-and-not-just-reform-of-newark-schools)

mrsmaalox
10-21-2010, 10:29 AM

Well it was always much more complicated than just donating $100 million. It's not cash, it is in FB stock, which of course could make it worth more or less depending on whatever. And then as much as they tried to make it appear it was an outright donation, it was actually a "challenge grant"; so the Newark schools had to come up with matching funds. I believe they have about half of it. And the donation doesn't go directly to the school district, it goes into some kind of educational foundation that Zuckerberg started.

I haven't read anything about it in a couple of weeks, but the last thing I heard is that the the whole thing has hit some legal roadblocks because one of the conditions of the "donation" is that the Newark mayor must possess some of the decision making power for it. But, the school system was taken over by the state 15 years ago and it is a violation of some state laws to give any decision making power to the mayor.

MannyIsGod
10-21-2010, 01:07 PM
Let's just see one single movie mentioned in spurstalk history that Manny likes that the legions don't.
I said.

Deep impact. Probably my favorite movie of all time. Everyone hates that shit.

MannyIsGod
10-21-2010, 01:08 PM
It's funny cuz once Manny agrees a movie is perfecto every Breen on this site drives in to say it's a good movie too.

Let me know if you ever make a movie bro. I'll endorse it and make you millions. You're welcome in advance.

SA210
10-21-2010, 11:14 PM
Deep impact. Probably my favorite movie of all time. Everyone hates that shit.

:lol I love that movie. Way better than Armageddon I thought .

Fabbs
10-30-2010, 01:06 PM
Check out these links.

These links still work fine from this ST site.
However, i posted them on another site and all the links come up error 404 or say "this page no longer available".

Did Zuckenjerk have them taken down or is this just some technical glitch in the transfer? They go to the pages site, example the first link shows up as Business Insider but then the message.....

MannyIsGod
10-30-2010, 01:15 PM
:lol I love that movie. Way better than Armageddon I thought .

Yeah they both came out the same summer too. Its far more scientifically accurate than Armageddon is (although I like Armageddon).

I think I'm going to watch me some Deep Impact and Armageddon today!

silverblk mystix
10-30-2010, 01:44 PM
Yeah they both came out the same summer too. Its far more scientifically accurate than Armageddon is (although I like Armageddon).

I think I'm going to watch me some Deep Impact and Armageddon today!

Lame.

Weak-ass popcorn movies.

Your taste is for shit.

Your arrogance is definitely unwarranted.

MannyIsGod
10-30-2010, 01:55 PM
:lmao Someone is butthurt.

Popcorn movies? Wtf is that? I like movies that entertain me on several different levels.

I'm not sure I ever claimed my taste was somehow on a magical hipster level but that doesn't mean I can't logically look at the bullshit you spew about a movie and point out why its bullshit so many times that you change your position in every post.

I realize I made you feel and look stupid but you coming in here and trying to knock my taste in movies just shows how butthurt you are. Its great.

silverblk mystix
10-30-2010, 02:15 PM
:lmao Someone is butthurt.

Popcorn movies? Wtf is that? I like movies that entertain me on several different levels.

I'm not sure I ever claimed my taste was somehow on a magical hipster level but that doesn't mean I can't logically look at the bullshit you spew about a movie and point out why its bullshit so many times that you change your position in every post.

I realize I made you feel and look stupid but you coming in here and trying to knock my taste in movies just shows how butthurt you are. Its great.

...but-...but..

I'm smarter than you! :lmao

butthurt?

it is your rudeness and arrogance that is laughable.

No one here is butthurt about anything...maybe you are...wgaf?
...and it is pretty predictable that you would believe that you made me feel anything...:lmao only an arrogant prick like you would be that full of himself...

Every thread you are in just shows what an asshole you are to other posters-so any reasonable person would wonder where this rudeness and arrogance comes from.
Usually, someone who is arrogant, will have something going on-but you are both arrogant and stupid so it just makes it amusing.

Here's to you....

choking on a cock! :toast

MannyIsGod
10-30-2010, 02:33 PM
Butthurt

Fabbs
10-30-2010, 03:26 PM
www.Motel6.com

Gervin44Silas13
01-13-2011, 01:23 PM
Zuck was clearly a total dick in this movie.
He treated everyone like shit, then again what do expect from assholes that go to Harvard

Even his lawyers told him he was gonna get fucked for a %....his face looked funny ha ha
.....which shows that the white man clearly the devil!

Viva Las Espuelas
01-13-2011, 01:28 PM
I didn't think he was a dick. He just knew what he wanted and expected from people what he thought they were fully capable of delivering. I'd call it shrewd, IMHO.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-13-2011, 01:29 PM
I loved his line when he said he was busy making Facebook instead of thinking about it. Pretty cut and dry, iyam.

Gervin44Silas13
01-13-2011, 01:38 PM
I didn't think he was a dick. He just knew what he wanted and expected from people what he thought they were fully capable of delivering. I'd call it shrewd, IMHO.

The lawyer even called him a asshole non-disgruntly.
LMAO

But weve seen these similar stories before...

Mustanie getting kicked out of Metallica

Pete Best repalced by Ringo

All Bizwax Tu sabes?

Viva Las Espuelas
01-13-2011, 01:45 PM
:lol a lawyer calling someone an asshole. Now that's funny :lmao

monosylab1k
01-13-2011, 02:23 PM
The lawyer even called him a asshole non-disgruntly.

Actually she said he wasn't an asshole.

Fabbs
01-13-2011, 03:02 PM
Well it was always much more complicated than just donating $100 million. It's not cash, it is in FB stock, which of course could make it worth more or less depending on whatever. And then as much as they tried to make it appear it was an outright donation, it was actually a "challenge grant"; so the Newark schools had to come up with matching funds. I believe they have about half of it. And the donation doesn't go directly to the school district, it goes into some kind of educational foundation that Zuckerberg started.

I haven't read anything about it in a couple of weeks, but the last thing I heard is that the the whole thing has hit some legal roadblocks because one of the conditions of the "donation" is that the Newark mayor must possess some of the decision making power for it. But, the school system was taken over by the state 15 years ago and it is a violation of some state laws to give any decision making power to the mayor.
And isn't the latest on Zuckerbergs *donation* to New Jersey that the legal snafus will never be overcome? The more i learn of Zuckerberg (okay, read on the net) leads one to believe he potentially would make a donation knowing full well it would not stick? Hence he hopes to glean the PR but get all his money back aka Monty Burns.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-13-2011, 03:18 PM
Ssssssssplendid

Bender
01-13-2011, 04:02 PM
haven't seen it yet.

netflix holds back new releases for a month now. will have to hit a redbox for it.

will watch it this weekend.

Fpoonsie
01-13-2011, 04:03 PM
haven't seen it yet.

netflix holds back new releases for a month now. will have to hit a redbox for it.

will watch it this weekend.

redbox may not have it for a month either.

Bender
01-13-2011, 04:06 PM
I looked up redbox on the web, and entered my zip code. and they came up with a few machines (not very many) that currently had it.

saturday being the weekend, may be all rented out though... will find out I guess.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-17-2011, 12:10 PM
These guys faired pretty well last night.

SA210
01-17-2011, 12:12 PM
I'm glad it won. It was my favorite film of 2010 :tu

Viva Las Espuelas
01-17-2011, 01:33 PM
Trent's tweet was pretty funny.

MannyIsGod
01-17-2011, 02:31 PM
I thought it was the worst out of the Best Film nomiations that I had seen (never saw Kings Speech).

Shelly
01-17-2011, 03:52 PM
I didn't think the movie was that great (haven't seen the others yet), but I do think Trent's soundtrack made the film. If you saw the interview he did last week with the NYT (?) critic where he talks about the original song that was in the beginning (I think by Elvis Costello) and plays it and then plays his score, it made a big difference IMO.

One I really like that wasn't nominated was The Town.

EricB
01-17-2011, 11:43 PM
Just saw it. Very well done, Timberlake is great, but not better than inception.

Frenzy
01-18-2011, 09:32 AM
jesse eisenberg > mark suckerberg

Dude played a perfect ass hole.

Soul_Patch
01-18-2011, 10:58 AM
Watched the film Friday night. Although i loved the sound track, didn't even know it was Trent Reznor until i saw the globes, then it made sense, with all the background noise and what not.

Did you guys think at times the sound track almost overpowered the movie, like all you could hear was the music and none of the dialogue. Was weird, i thought my TV settings were off or something.

Also the very first scene was like nails on a chalk board for me.

Tinystarz
01-18-2011, 11:24 AM
Watched the film Friday night. Although i loved the sound track, didn't even know it was Trent Reznor until i saw the globes, then it made sense, with all the background noise and what not.

Did you guys think at times the sound track almost overpowered the movie, like all you could hear was the music and none of the dialogue. Was weird, i thought my TV settings were off or something.

Also the very first scene was like nails on a chalk board for me.

yeah, I called it Juno talk.

Phillip
01-19-2011, 04:41 PM
saw it last night. quite good

IronMaxipad
01-19-2011, 05:05 PM
The blu-ray packaging is pretty awesome my only gripe was the piece of paper that folds over the slip case. Wish they would have just made it an actual slip cover.

http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy252/sutterpic/slipcover/sn4b.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/SVT38.jpg
^The paper fold i was talking about :td

JoeChalupa
01-19-2011, 05:07 PM
Waiting to red box this.

MannyIsGod
01-19-2011, 06:46 PM
I could give two shits about packaging.

monosylab1k
01-20-2011, 12:38 PM
I saw it the second time the other night and I was even more impressed on 2nd viewing.

For everyone who hated the dialog, I can see that superficially it has some similarities to stuff like Juno, but if you really think this movie has any "Juno speak" then I'd highly question if you're even listening to what's being said. The whole reason Juno is mocked is because nobody on earth is that quick witted and ironic 24/7, much less a hormonal pregnant 16 year old. It's not believable, not for one second. In The Social Network, the dialogue may have that rhythm at times, but every word of it feels organic and believable.

The one big problem with the movie for me is Eduardo. His character is too much of a nice guy, too much of an innocent, and that hurts the film. The last line of "you're not an asshole, you're just trying too hard to be one" is what drives the movie imo. Every character has varying degrees of "asshole" in them, except for Eduardo.

I think that's why, for me at least, the final come to Jesus moment doesn't have the emotional impact intended. Mainly because, from how the film portrays Eduardo and Mark, I never once really believed they could ever be best friends. And therefore the betrayal doesn't seem as awful.

Other than that, the movie is terrific.

Fabbs
01-20-2011, 01:09 PM
^^^ 'slob,

That's because Eduardo is who sold the movie script.

It's also why he is portrayed as the goodie goodie victim when in reality he is the one who was partying his ass off while Zuckerjerk and the crew were working in Palo Alto.

lebomb
01-24-2011, 07:51 AM
This movie :pimpslap Inception

QF, the social network should be highly considered for an Oscar.

:clap

Leetonidas
01-24-2011, 08:00 AM
lol facebook

Fabbs
01-24-2011, 09:53 PM
pppsssshh

Eduardo Saverin with a completely evasive non answer, flowery and gagging, most likely written by his liarwyer.

Facebook Co-Founder Speaks Publicly: What I Learned From Watching “The Social Network”
http://www.cnbc.com/id/39675388

Jacob1983
01-25-2011, 10:32 PM
I don't think it's fair to this movie to compare it to Juno. Juno is a very overrated movie in my opinion and the dialogue is somewhat laughable. I watched The Social Network last night on DVD and I was impressed. It was a good movie and a good story. The movie was definitely biased against Mark Zuckerberg but it's based on a book so I think viewers will have to make up their minds if Mark is indeed a douchebag. Jesse Eisenberg probably had his best performance ever in this movie. Whether you hate Facebook/Mark Zuckerberg, you have to give him props. The guy is a genius with computers and created something that has changed the world and people's lives. And the music was amazing. Trent Reznor did an awesome job with the score.

Phillip
01-26-2011, 10:57 AM
The movie was definitely biased against Mark Zuckerberg but it's based on a book so I think viewers will have to make up their minds if Mark is indeed a douchebag.

A lot of people here keep saying this, but personally, I didn't get that perception that much. Yeah, he was a little wrong for what he did, but at the same time, he took their idea, expanded on it and made it 100x better than they likely ever could have done. Who is to say that they would have been able to turn their idea into a 25 billion dollar franchise, without Zuckerberg? It was their own dumbass fault for not getting their shit in writing, which you should always do when conducting business, no matter how casual it may be intended to be.

Jacob1983
01-26-2011, 10:41 PM
Yeah, I don't know Mark Zuckerberg or the people he associated with at college but I would say that those twins probably did not have the skill, talent, or gift that Mark had to create Facebook. Besides, those twins were spoiled brats in my opinion.

Greg Oden
01-26-2011, 11:54 PM
Yeah, I don't know Mark Zuckerberg or the people he associated with at college but I would say that those twins probably did not have the skill, talent, or gift that Mark had to create Facebook. Besides, those twins were spoiled brats in my opinion.

yeah, yours and the rest of the world's opinion.