PDA

View Full Version : Sports Guy Takes

leemajors
05-20-2005, 05:22 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/cowbell/blog

aside from his semi-wack takes on ginobli, some sincere praise for TD:

Here's my point: There's no question at all -- absolutely none -- that we're watching the greatest power forward of all-time. And you never hear anyone mention this.

ALVAREZ6
05-20-2005, 05:37 PM
The emergence of Ginobili as an über-villain
I'm not sure how this happened or when it happened, but he's the winner of the "Guy You Love to Hate" award in the 2005 playoffs, isn't he? It starts with that cheesy haircut, which looks like he borrowed it from Andy Garcia right after the "Ocean's Twelve" press junket, capped off by the barely perceptible bald spot on the top of his head which you can see everytime the Spurs bring the ball over midcourt. Then there's the flopping, which I can't even remember him doing that much until this Seattle series -- now he's like a World Cup soccer player. (Shouldn't there be fines for this stuff?) And then there's that whiny, martyr-like look on his face after somebody knocks him to the ground, vaguely reminiscent of the look on Daniel LaRusso's face after every cheap shot during the 1985 All-Valley Karate Championships. I can't stand him. I really can't. Which is a good thing, I think.

What a stupid fuck. I hope this guy gets hit by a truck.

FromWayDowntown
05-20-2005, 05:59 PM
I think it's kind of nice that the Spurs have taken on some villianous qualities this playoff year. In a lot of ways, it's a sign of great respect -- people don't hate those who give them no problems.

It's why I don't hate Ray Allen. :)

boutons
05-20-2005, 05:59 PM
A sports "journalist" making catty comments on Manu's hair and bald spot?

And what about Manu's receding hairline? How about the size of his nose? Shouldn't Manu be spending some time in tanning salons to look his best for the WCF? And his funny accent, what's up with that?

Bitchy, cheap Queer Eye comments, naturally totally unrelated to the game.

95% of sports "journalists", print, TV, Internet, are the scum of the profession.

Samr
05-20-2005, 06:02 PM
95% of sports "journalists", print, TV, Internet, are the scum of the profession.

Which is why 95% of them, in some weird way, work for ESPN.

FromWayDowntown
05-20-2005, 06:09 PM
A sports "journalist" making catty comments on Manu's hair and bald spot?

And what about Manu's receding hairline? How about the size of his nose? Shouldn't Manu be spending some time in tanning salons to look his best for the WCF? And his funny accent, what's up with that?

Bitchy, cheap Queer Eye comments, naturally totally unrelated to the game.

He's not a journalist in any strict sense. The fact that he writes for a website that is media-related does not make him a journalist.

Simmons is a comedy writer whose been asked to provide sports commentary. He's paid to offer opinions, and in Simmons' case with ESPN, he's paid to link sports and pop culture. It's his schtick. If you read his other stuff, you find that he's extremely Boston-centric and tries to find parallels between modern day occurrences and past Boston sports glories and failures. He does the same thing in comparing situations that arise in sports to scenes in movies. If you get off of the "he's not a journalist" track and just read what he writes, he's actually pretty funny IMO.

Brutalis
05-20-2005, 06:12 PM
dumbass of the year award goes to mr. simmons.

Rynospursfan
05-20-2005, 06:15 PM
Yeah I dig him. Of course I'm a Red Sox fan, so it comes easy. He is funny though.

timvp
05-20-2005, 06:20 PM
Bill Simmons is greatness. Spurs fans need to relax.

Mark in Austin
05-20-2005, 06:41 PM
exactly. you don't have to agree with everything somebody writes or thinks to recognize their talent.

Simmons is the best Sports Columnist on the planet. Recognize.

boutons
05-20-2005, 06:48 PM
I don't know a damn thing about Simmons and now I don't GAF, but his comments on Manu's appearance, GMAFB, and Manu as uber-villain because he flops or because Manu pleads his case to refs in style Simmons doesn't like, is utter BS.

boutons
05-20-2005, 06:54 PM
Simmons on Bowen:

"annoying, touchy-feely, borderline cheapshot guy"

SpursWoman
05-20-2005, 07:37 PM
exactly. you don't have to agree with everything somebody writes or thinks to recognize their talent.

Simmons is the best Sports Columnist on the planet. Recognize.

I think he's hilarious, and I love Page 2 articles. :)